BMC Helix ITSM Overview

BMC Helix ITSM is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: BMC Helix ITSM vs ServiceNow

What is BMC Helix ITSM?
BMC Remedy is an innovative service management platform built natively for mobile with an intuitive, beautiful, people-centric user experience that makes your whole organization more productive. Simple to use and powerful enough to manage the most advanced digital enterprises, Remedy can be delivered from the BMC cloud or your own data center.

BMC Helix ITSM is also known as Remedy ITSM, Remedy, Helix Remedy.

BMC Helix ITSM Buyer's Guide

Download the BMC Helix ITSM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

BMC Helix ITSM Customers
Brookfield, HealthSouth Corporation, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Mercator, SAP, Stanford University
BMC Helix ITSM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BMC Helix ITSM pricing:
  • "I am not sure the exact price we pay for the solution but I know it is in the high seven-figure amount annually."
  • "It is not very expensive and not very cheap. It is somewhere in-between. Some of the features are more expensive. There are also additional costs. If you want to use most of the features, you need to pay more."
  • "If you are looking for some kind of professional services form the OEM then you would have to purchase that."
  • "It is too expensive for a small business."

AA
Technical Program Manager / Site Lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Lacking report functionality, complex to operate, but useful interactive activity logs

What is our primary use case?

The solution is for all IT management. It takes care of the day-to-day operations and customers' policies. The initial implementation was to start creating a knowledge base and capture information as it happened. Then by using that knowledge base analysis and see what trends are occurring within the systems.

• "The most valuable features I have found to be the activity logs and the other features where you are able to continuously address issues and are able to annotate notes inside to convey them to the customer."
  • "The reports need improvement, it is not a good functioning tool."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to consider other options before choosing this solution such as ServiceNow. I rate BMC Helix ITSM a four out of ten.
Mogle
Senior BMC Remedy Consultant at Mogle & Partners Limited
Good knowledge management features in this highly scalable product

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution for individuals calling into the help desk to have a ticket created over the phone, which becomes an incident. If the incident gets upgraded then it becomes a problem and then they work on it.

• "In BMC, you can do absolutely anything. You can customize, you can configure, and you can customize and develop pretty much anything."
  • "They could be more responsive to feedback from their community board."

What other advice do I have?

BMC Helix is a marketing term. The name changed from BMC Remedy ITSM to BMC Helix a few years ago. It's also linked to BMC's CMDB, where they have an image of all of the assets in the company. In BMC, you can do absolutely anything. You can customize, you can configure, and you can customize and develop pretty much anything. It might take some time and it may have some consequences later on when you are upgrading and you want to install a newer version, especially when you are on-premises. Other solutions may have a better BEB Cloud interface or better sales organization, but BMC is a…
Learn what your peers think about BMC Helix ITSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jyoti Ranjan
ITSM Consultant at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Good incident management and reporting, ease of access, and stability

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for service requests and incident management. It is being used for all problem tickets and change requests. We are using the latest version.

• "We find the incident management module the best. The reporting part is also useful. We use a feature called smart reporting, and it is very beneficial for us."
  • "Its performance can be improved. Sometimes, there is a performance issue, and it is a little slow and difficult on the usage side. It would be beneficial for us if there is a lighter version of this solution. There is also a limitation on the number of columns and memory for extracting a report, and this functionality can be improved. We would like to have better integration and UI in this solution. The user interface should be easy to navigate. Its integration with other tools, such as SharePoint or Jira, can also be improved, which would be beneficial for us. In terms of new features, there should also be a mobile version. The desktop version is available, but the mobile version is not available, which is one of the challenges that our team has. For users who work on Remedy and who raise the ticket, it would also be very beneficial to have some chatbot features."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it includes all the best practices of ITIL and ITSM used across the industry. It is a good product. I would rate BMC Helix ITSM an eight out of ten.
Horacio Lago
Response for services and allocation at Quait Consulting
Automates activities related to human resources, finances, production, and more

• "It has the power to automatize several different tasks in the ITSM world."
  • "Some parts of the solutions are using the old interface."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give BMC Helix ITSM a rating of eight.
NS
Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install, good technical support, and it provides workflow management capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are not using this product. Rather, we are proposing it as a part of our solution because we have experience with the on-premise and the ROE (remedy on demand). We upgrade and do the installation for our customers.

• "What I have found to be the most valuable is that it offers the radius deployment package not only to the BMC cloud but also to the public cloud such as Azure."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see AI used for classification or categorization."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and I would rate it an eight out of ten.
EC
Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Useful for orchestration, change management, and self-service

What is our primary use case?

Clients use it for incident management, problem management, change management, and device management.

• "Automatic orchestration is the most valuable. The feature for designating some cases or incidents to the right PM for resolution, first call resolution, and change management are also important. The self-service feature and knowledge base resolutions are helping the customers in resolving issues rather than opening tickets."
  • "It can have more features for hardware discovery and hardware information. The integration with IQ operations management should be streamlined. ITSM and ITOM should be more integrated, and there should be better integration from Helix Discovery to Helix CMDB. There were some issues regarding this integration, and they were difficult to resolve in big environments. We have a lot of devices and users to manage. Therefore, the integration should be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to prepare and plan a lot before using the product. Define the exact workflows, themes, and end-user experience because the users sometimes don't use self-service. Customize it as little as possible. I would rate BMC Helix ITSM an eight out of ten.
reviewer1290114
IT Consultant at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Helpful linking of parent and child tickets, and automatically calculates SLA

What is our primary use case?

This tool is used for ticketing purposes, to track down daily issues and requests as part of business requirements. It includes ITIL practices such as incident management, problem management, change management, asset management, and configuration management. We are able to link tickets to one another. It is used to create, modify, update, and resolve tickets. Parent/child tickets are possible to create. It can also create problem tickets and change requests. It will easily calculate SLAs and can create and customize reports as per user requirement.

• "This product has helped us to maintain our OLAs (Organisation level Agreements) and SLAs (Service Level Agreements) by tracking incidents, requests, problem records, and change requests, all in the form of tickets."
  • "To raise any ticket, there are too many fields to be filled and it makes generating tickets very time-consuming."
HW
IT-Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
A highly-integrated solution that could be more simplified

What is our primary use case?

Overall, within our company, there are over 15,000 end-users and 400 incident management members using this solution.

• "It's a very integrated solution."
  • "It needs to be more comfortable for the end-user."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend BMC Helix ITSM. There are two solutions to look out for: BMC and ServiceNow. I think both solutions are great solutions but I can't say which one is better. For a smaller company, a solution like JIRA Help Desk may be better. BCM can be quite complex as there are many modules that are not easy to handle. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. If they improved the workflow and processes, simplified the initial setup, improved the UI, and the digital workplace catalog for the end-users, then I would give this solution a…
See 1 more BMC Helix ITSM Reviews
Download our free BMC Helix ITSM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.