Board Overview

Board is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Financial Close Software. It is most often compared to Tableau: Board vs Tableau

What is Board?

BOARD International - headquartered in Switzerland - is a leading global provider of software for improving business results through better decision making. By unifying Business Intelligence and Corporate Performance Management into a single product, BOARD enables companies to achieve a shared vision of their performance across the entire organization, and thus a single version of the truth.

BOARD provides seamless solutions for • Reporting & Analysis • Budgeting, Planning & Forecasting • Profitability Modelling & Optimization • Simulation & What-if-Analysis • Scorecarding & Strategy Management • Financial Consolidation. Based on visual modelling, BOARD has enabled global companies to deploy BI and CPM applications without a single line of code in a fraction of the time and cost associated with traditional solutions.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Board Customers

Coca-Cola, Puma, Desigual, Ricoh, KPMG, H&M, Groupe SEB

Board Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User
Leaderboard
Useful for finding areas of inefficiency, but needs support for automatically defining cubes

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in several ways, including: * We develop data modeling for customers. * Internally, we use it to monitor and control company performance. * We create demonstrations for potential new customers. * We create dashboards that permit us to find and understand inefficiencies, which can then be improved.

• "It is useful for self-analysis regarding company data and helps to find areas where we can improve."
  • "The product can be improved by making it possible to know where cubes are used."
Senior Business Data Analyst at Lifestyle Services Group (part of Phones4U)
Secures user data allowing databases to be flushed and rebuilt daily

What is our primary use case?

Our business is the management of external client property portfolios. We use BOARD to provide clients with the ability to easily manage and maintain their property holdings.

• "The ability to create a data model and have it in testing within a week is fantastic."
  • "My favourite feature of BOARD is the ability to write back to the OLAP DB, as well as the Rdb, and secure user data allowing databases to be flushed and rebuilt daily."
  • "It would be nice to see truly transferable processes from model to model, as well as a method of building repetitive processes."
  • "Building similar models entirely from scratch could be made quicker with transfer abilities between databases and capsules."
Find out what your peers are saying about Board International, Tableau, Microsoft and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of FPNA at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Now, we have only one version of the truth

What is our primary use case?

We have brought the solution to be the "one" solution and are using it in all aspects of finance in terms of reporting, forecast budgeting, modeling, and score cards. We are also using it for analyticals and "what-if" scenarios/situations. One of the things that we asked for it to do was provide ease of use and it has accomplished that. Also, it was an easy implementation, and it has been a huge success.

• "Now, we have only one version of the truth."
  • "I liked the way that I felt as a user and administrator of it. There were a lot of clicks, drops, drags, etc. versus writing code."
  • "It would be huge in the future if BOARD offered a lot more graphs and presentations, and it was a lot easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

I have been totally thrilled with BOARD. Just do it. I think about the way that BOARD is trying to continuously reinvent itself. Adding the community is huge. It gives us a source out of Google to find solutions. We are so used to that in our society. BOARD has actually done that. The customer service is huge, knowing that every time I make a new inquiry that I always feel like I am the number one customer, even though I know I am not. It has been huge; it has been fantastic. There is a tremendous learning curve with it, because you are learning a whole new language at first. Once you…
Financial Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Eases access to data for report generation, resulting in faster decision making

What is our primary use case?

We use it across our entire business. We use it for financial data, we use it for inventory data, we use it for sales data, we use it for inventory transaction data. We actually use it across all those platforms. It's performing very well.

• "The ease of being able to get the data into BOARD is what makes it nice for people with a semi-IT background."
  • "It would be nice to be able to host your site and actually have BOARD be the driver of your site. So you could have anybody in your organization go to www.myorg.com, for example, and then go through what you allow them to go through. So rather than having to go through the application, to be able to go to actually host it to a website."

What other advice do I have?

I think the most important criterion when selecting is support. Once you create your relationship and implement, I think it's important to keep that relationship going. I would give the solution an eight out of 10, because I think with BOARD 11 they're getting up to speed with a lot of the usability, the knowing how to use it without being taught how to use, making it more intuitive. But the reason I would say an eight and not a 10 is because - I do have a little bit of coding background - while it's nice that it's a user-interface development, could we speed it up if we could use code to…
Strategy and Performance Analytics Director at a government
Helps us produce a cross-functional dataset from disparate sources and produce reports

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is called "Track Stat". It's our performance management system that we use at the city of Fayetteville. We use that to capture data throughout the city and report our progress to the Citizens' Council and managers. It's performing very well. We're very happy with the ease and the flexibility of the solution. We've had very, very few issues in terms of launching the application, and the issues that we did have were really like access and user errors. Other than that, I can't think of another software solution that we've managed at the city that went as well as BOARD has.

• "What is very valuable is the ability to customize. We didn't see a solution out there that really matched exactly what our functional requirements would be. So we were able to work with New Brain, our integrator, and we were able to build from the ground up what we wanted, and I think that's pretty unique to BOARD."
  • "The one thing that I think we would like to see in terms of improvement of the application is the ability to print. It's fantastic to have all of these graphic visualization of data, but we're not able to very easily just print... From my perspective, if you can have a little "print" button and then you just click it and it would produce what's on the screen, that would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BOARD as an eight out of 10. The things that really could be improved would be a couple of things. I think the print issue is big, and then the ability to have that back support. It feels like BOARD as an organization has grown exponentially and probably isn't in the right space for support and training. Once that application is launched, to be able to say, "Okay. How are you going to support this moving forward?" Because not everybody is prepared to get in there and create Cubes. I'm not a Cube-creator, but I don't want to pay someone large sums of money to get in there and make…
BI Developer at a healthcare company
We use it for data analysis and planning, trending of data via charts

What is our primary use case?

I use BOARD mainly for the analysis of data for planning. Our business is mainly to do with tissue donors. We do a lot trending via charts and data to see what kind of information we get and how we are doing. I also work with sales and different kinds of modes of sales, which helps us identify the ways we're doing direct orders, regular consignments. I cater to different departments like planning and the complaints department. Then I also take care of the users who use the Capsules on a daily basis. I also handle tickets for people if they have any issues with BOARD. I translated a lot of… more »

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to selecting a vendor, what's important is a big community, support systems. I feel communication is very important, whether it's an email or something else. Within a couple of hours, if somebody responds, that is helpful, if they can provide a quick solution. It pacifies the people on the other side, because we are dealing with a lot of users at one time. I think BOARD is a very good tool. I have worked with different BI tools like Tableau and Cognos. I think BOARD is not a very heavy software. It's a very light software compared to others; it doesn't just crash sometimes. And…
Sales Operations Specialist at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
The aesthetics of it are nice. I would like an eLearning platform as we are not using the tool to its fullest potential.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for BOARD was initially to report income statements and other P&Ls to our executive team, which was our phase one of implementing BOARD. Our phase two would be uploading from external data, then analyzing the external data with the internal data. It has been going great, but there is still a lot to learn (a lot of training) that we can get from BOARD because our company is pretty small. We do not have a team dedicated to BOARD because it is a full time job if you are deciding to develop it from the ground up. We would need to allocate more time into something like that. Right… more »

• "The aesthetics of it are really nice. That is what attracted us to BOARD: the ease and functionality of it."
  • "The support from the BOARD team and their consultants is great. Whenever I use technical support, they are good."
  • "I would like an eLearning platform for BOARD."

What other advice do I have?

Before you implement. look at what you want to achieve before you start working on building a database, then starting an implementation. Make decisions on what you want to do for your company. Looking at BOARD 11, it looks impressive. I like the new design, user interface, and everything is on the cloud. What do you appreciate most in a vendor? * All the different, little plugins that they have for Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. It makes it very easy to use. * The cloud and desktop client are very easy to use. * At first, the product was not very intuitive, but now if you get it, it is…
Finance Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
We have better reporting and have been able to better track performance, but are currently experiencing some stability issues

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use it for our sale forecasting and our supply chain planning. We have been with BOARD for about a year now, and there is still a lot for us to learn. We want to take it to the next level, and use it for our budgeting and predictive analytic capabilities, therefore having a more integrated usage across our organization.

• "We have better reporting and have been able to better track performance."
  • "It allows people to quickly create dashboards with reports."
  • "We have had some challenges with newer version of the rollout in terms of stability."

What other advice do I have?

It is important to have a clear strategy in the beginning of what you want to achieve. Make sure that you allocate the resources, then work with BOARD to ensure you have a successful launch. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * It has to be a reliable platform from a technical perspective. * It has to have good network support, customer service, and also have a reasonable price within our budget.
Manager MIS at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has saved time in our budgeting and planning processes, but needs more flexibility around design and formatting

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a few different things: * Our budget * Sales reporting * Performance tracking for some of our operations' groups. In the last year or two, we have seen a ramp up of usage. Other than some performance issues, we have been having some pretty good success with the product.

• "It has definitely saved us time, especially in our budget and planning processes."
  • "The drill down is good for people who have that high level view, because they can do some analysis based on it."
  • "​My analysts have used the technical support. Sometimes they have felt like they did not receive the answer that they needed, or you have to go and upgrade in order to address a problem. ​"

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know what you want before you start having someone work on building and designing something. A lot of times in the past (for us), people had what they thought was an idea of what they wanted, we would do all this work, then they would look at it and say, "No, that's not what we want." Then, we would have to start from scratch again. Definitely spend the time upfront to map everything out. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Availability * Good communication * Good technical knowledge, but also being able to speak to non-technical people.
System Controller at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Streamlined our processes, and everyone sees the same numbers

What is our primary use case?

Mainly with our sales forecasting, cost-center budgeting, and financial reporting. We implemented last September, and had some startup issues, but that's normal. Since we ironed those out, it's been working pretty well. We went live with our 2018 sales forecast. We're just starting our first revision of that annual budget. There is a little bit of work to get that going, but that seems to be working well. And we're getting in the various reporting for the different business uses. So, so far, so good.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell colleagues to give this a good look. The setup may be a little bit more time-consuming, and understanding how everything works together. But longer term, it will probably save in the end. I don't have to be looking for other bolt-ons, it covers everything. So I would say that's probably the best advice. You may need more than one other solution, where with this, I think it will cover all your bases.
VP of Professional Services at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases: * Visualizations and dashboards. * Budgeting, planning, and forecasting. Relative to other products that I have worked with, it works quite well. Obviously, there is a little bit of organization that is required. However, overall, it runs quite well.

• "It has a good set of visual elements that you can use and can explain quite well."
  • "BOARD technical support is knowledgeable and helpful."
  • "​One of the things that I would like to see is the ability to have a rule directly referenced on the cubes.​"
  • "I would like to see better relationships with the partners."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: A commitment to the product as well as the willingness to help support the product.
Budget Officer at a government with 201-500 employees
Allowed me to integrate both a line-item budget and a strategic budget

What is our primary use case?

We use it for budget development and revenue forecasting, and it's performing quite well right now. There have been some minor hiccups, not with the BOARD platform itself, but it's just the learning, getting familiar with the product, and the end-user accepting the application. In a government organization, there has been some struggle to get people to use the tool, versus what they've used before. I don't think it's the learning curve, because the way New Brain designed the application for us, it's fairly user friendly. I think it's more of a hesitancy to stop inputting things on Excel… more »

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is definitely a 10 out of 10. The system solution is about a nine out of 10, and the only reason why I would give it a nine and not a 10, is that it still takes IT folks to really support it. It's not totally able to be supported within Finance. Given the amount of resources that a government has, we have a very small IT staff, and the departments are more relied upon to do their own IT. That's the only reason why I would give it a nine. I like this solution because it's so versatile, you can really model it after your specific business practices. It's not the case that you…
Financial Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Keeps track of budgetary expenses during the year

What is our primary use case?

We use BOARD for financial statements. It is performing great. My managers love it. It is easy for them to look at their budget and review their expenses at budget time so they can know what to budget for the following year, but also to keep track of their expenses during the year and not go over their budgets.

• "we are able to easily export data. When directors need financial information, we can go in the system and export the data, then send it out so they have it ready and available. If they are not in the office, we can email it to them. In addition, all the managers are now more on top of their expenses and their budget."
  • "Where it used to take me three days at the beginning of the year to create the new financial statement, now it is a matter of minutes because all the data is in the system."
  • "If we could upload other data, e.g., pivot tables which can be done in BOARD already, that we have pre-existing and have that data distribute to more complex spreadsheets​, I would like that going forward."
  • "The initial setup was very complex for us."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to streamline your business and reduce hourly time using the creation of spreadsheets or other financial reports that they should go for BOARD because it drastically reduces time. It will also make your financials ready and available for any type of financial planning or reporting. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We needed somebody who would understand what we wanted and the output that we needed.
Senior Business Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, versatile, efficient functionality with a small footprint in the file servers

What is our primary use case?

Budgeting. It's performing very well.

• "Primary valuable features are its flexibility and versatility and, obviously, functionality goes along with that. Plus, it does that at a small footprint in the file servers, and does it very efficiently."

What other advice do I have?

My purpose is telling them what they need and writing the initial SQL and building the capsule. Once I do that, I'm done, and then they just go off. I'm not a day-to-day user. In terms of advice to a colleague who is looking at a similar solution, I don't know what their actual needs are, but my advice would be to go forward with this product. Don't be afraid to get some initial training, because they didn't want to supply that for us initially. My advice would be to get the initial training.
    BI Developer at a retailer with 201-500 employees
    We have a more structured data view with more accurate, timely data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is corporate reporting. We are implementing it in phases. We did finance, then we did what we call our direct consumer group. Now, we are working on our production case goods (inventory). For the most part, it is performing okay. I am having some performance problems with the data. We are going back to all the transactions by day. Therefore, we might need to have a little help from our consultants with this at some point. We have not yet spoken with technical support about this issue as it is a brand new problem.

• "​Our data is now more structured. Between our data warehouse and BOARD, which are both brand new, we now have a more structured data view with more accurate, timely data."
    • "We can build reports super fast.​"
    • "We would like to see better logging in the procedural world."

What other advice do I have?

Try to use all the out-of-the-box functionality. Try to use BOARD for what it is good at doing and do not tread outside its capabilities, because then you start running into issues, such as writing procedures. When possible, do not write procedures. Procedures are necessary, but we are backing away from writing them. We are trying to use BOARD out-of-the-box. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The consultants have always been helpful. They make sure that we are successful. I appreciate that.
    Consultant at a consultancy
    The collaboration features are key for our clients; overall, the solution is scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is developing a demand planning/collaboration platform. It's performing well.

• "I would like to see a better Web client, where the controls work the same way as in the Windows client. I do think that the focus is now on the Web, so it should be improved upon."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, in general, the most important factors are their * being responsive * being truthful. If I have an issue, I don't care if they say, "We cannot fix it," or, "We'll fix it in a later version." Communicate that. My advice would be, you should seriously consider this solution.
      Senior Consultant at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
      Without programming, you can develop a workflow and multiple solutions

What is our primary use case?

We started using BOARD as part of a solution. We're developing using BOARD to go into implementation for our customers. In terms of performance, it's still pretty new to us. It's good. We know BOARD is very powerful, but there is a big learning curve that we still have to get through.

• "It's very powerful, but there is also a big learning curve. ​It should be a little more intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell a colleague the same thing we're experiencing. BOARD is very powerful, flexible, but it takes an initial learning curve.
        Consultant at a financial services firm
        Centralizes our data, gives us version control and the ability to report dynamically

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for forecasting and budgeting. We budget capital expenditures, the full P&L financial statement. We have our top-level VPs enter their driver rules and then Finance goes on the back-end and calculates the gross margin impact of that. We capture operational expenses down to the vendor level. We also do all of management reporting. The performance has been great so far.

• "The benefits are getting the data in one spot, the ability to report dynamically, and version control."
        • "I think it's flexible. I chose this solution because, even though it wasn't out-of-the-box, you can customize it, and the long-term growth potential of the software is where I see the value."
        • "It needs more export to Excel functionality. Right now, we're having to build within the cloud-based platform, as well as build within the Excel add-in, because the export to Excel is somewhat ugly."

What other advice do I have?

I think that from talking with other customers here at the BOARDVille 2018 user conference, your consultant, if you're using a BOARD consultant, I think that that person is very important. Also, just allow ample time, because it is a sandbox, the startup time is going to be more considerable than out-of-the-box solutions.
        Business Transformation Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        Write-back and visualization features require minimal IT involvement

What is our primary use case?

We implement the solution. We have about 50 customers, mainly around budgeting, planning, or supply-chain orientated. In terms of its performance, our customers are very happy.

• "The ability to do write back and visualization, with minimal IT development orientation."
        • "I'd like to see a more passive report user for enterprise report writers that aren't particularly technical."

What other advice do I have?

It's got that combination of everything. I'm a business person predominantly, so I don't like having technical solutions. And it's something even I - and I'm not a consultant - can deploy. I like that about it. I'd still recommend that you need an experienced practitioner to take you through a well-designed solution. It's not about the technology, I think it's about the experience that people bring to designing a solution: building the data architecture, integration; leveraging their smarts. At least the first time, work with a partner.
        Senior Consultant at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
        Improves our clients' performance internally through coordination and communication

What is our primary use case?

We are a supply chain software provider. We have been using BOARD to create a collaborative platform for users to modify and make edits. This is the primary use case, along with our clients. Also, the flexibility has been great and the performance has been optimal.

• "The reporting part has been very valuable as the capabilities of the tool do not have to change graphs, change how grids are displayed, and can create reports on the fly."
        • "Our clients have improved a lot in terms of coordination and communication. This has improved their internal performance."
        • "​We are looking for ways to distinguish zeros versus nulls in BOARD."
        • "We are looking at ways to improve how we deal with security in BOARD and other similar things. ​"

What other advice do I have?

We have been very happy with what we have seen. We are pretty new to this. We have done three implementations so far. BOARD has been performing well and is very efficient, though we have to improve the implementation time on our end. I would personally advise looking into BOARD (depending on your needs). Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Product * Relationship with our clients/partners. If we do not have a sustainable working relationship, then we can't move forward, even if the product is outstanding.
        Manager Of Financial Planning And Analysis at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
        Leaderboard
        Gives us a lot of data modeling flexibility, in addition to solution scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for BOARD is sales analysis, as well as financial planning, analysis, and budgeting. We are also highly leveraging the CPM portion, as well as the BI tools that BOARD provides. So far, it is performing extremely well. We are very happy with the new updates and new releases. We have had very good support.

• "A lot of flexibility from the data modeling standpoint. It can add specific line items into our budget, for example, or if we want to make changes to the data model itself, we have that flexibility."
        • "One thing that I personally would like to see is additional visualization tools for visuals."

What other advice do I have?

I would say the best is yet to come. Based on all the new, upcoming releases, features, and eLearning. If you are looking to make a decision, you should defer from making a decision right now, because the best is yet to come.
        Principle Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Reseller
        We can use the tool to build mockups before our customers' eyes

What is our primary use case?

We use BOARD to show scorecards for each business unit. As part of the finance team, we can control the numbers showing on each dashboard and update selected business unit KPIs as our strategies change from year-to-year. We also use it for tracking services hours as a consultancy. We also implement the product for clients, primarily solutions for finance, around financial reporting, making it easier to close the books every period, annual reporting, also board and narrative reporting. It's performing very well.

• "With the combination of 24/7 global support and their community, there was great customer service, tech support, and community support."
        • "Instead of taking two people a week each month to perform our internal KPI reporting, the same two people can have it done in a day."
        • "The tool seems to have a lot of ways to handle scaling."
        • "All staff can now see their relevant scorecards online."
        • "The setup was a bit complex."
        • "It would be nice to have more connectors for other data sources. BOARD is a great tool to become the single source of the truth. Making it easier to connect data sources for niche software tools will make it easier to keep everything in one place."

What other advice do I have?

It is refreshing to use a tool that makes things easier, and works as expected. Reach out to a sales person and watch a demo, because only when you see someone working with it will you appreciate the simplicity.
        Budget & Performance Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
        Allows us to customize everything ourselves without any IT background or training.
        Business analyst at a pharma/biotech company
        It's a flexibility, fast, and easy to use solution.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexibility, fast, and easy to use solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us manage our workflow.

What needs improvement?

It needs improvement in the areas of sales, credit, and supply chain.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.
        Business Analyst at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
        Provides drill down and Split & Splat features.

What is most valuable?

Drill down Split & Splat

How has it helped my organization?

Budget & forecast process

What needs improvement?

Supply chain

I have used it for six years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is 10/10. Technical Support: Technical support is 10/10.

We previously used Excel and OLAP cubes. We…
        Group Controller with 51-200 employees
        Easy to implement, easy to maintain, easy to develop internal report or procedure.
        Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
        It's provided us a good presentation of consolidated data to customers and senior management.
        Software and Services Executive at a university with 501-1,000 employees
        Easy installation. Requires minimal SQL skills to get it up and running quickly.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and completeness of the offering.

How has it helped my organization?

This platform has help our organization streamline our budget process and give us insight into our customers, products & services.

What needs improvement?

Product is excellent, no areas of improvement that are not currently in the product or on its roadmap.

3 Years

Customer Service: Very high level of customer service. Technical Support: Excellent

Yes - Paris software POLAP and Business Objects from SAP.

Easy installation and minimal SQL skills to get it up and running quickly.

What about

Download our free Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Board International, Tableau, Microsoft, and more!