Boomi AtomSphere Integration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Boomi AtomSphere Integration is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Integration Platform as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: Boomi AtomSphere Integration vs Mule Anypoint Platform

What is Boomi AtomSphere Integration?

The Boomi AtomSphere integration platform as a service (iPaaS) supports all your application integration processes – between cloud platforms, software-as-a-service applications, and on-premises systems. Your entire team has online access to a powerful range of integration and data management capabilities, that can be realized in a fraction of the time of legacy middleware technologies.

Boomi AtomSphere Integration is also known as Boomi.

Boomi AtomSphere Integration Buyer's Guide

Download the Boomi AtomSphere Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Boomi AtomSphere Integration Customers

DocuSign Inc., Innotas, Certent, Renesas Electronics America (REA), Kelly-Moore Paints, Mindjet, City of McKinney, Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (RBA), Daylight Transport, A10 Networks

Boomi AtomSphere Integration Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Boomi AtomSphere Integration pricing:
  • "The pricing is a bit complex. While the entry fee may be lower than other solutions, it could be expensive depending on your usage."
  • "When it comes to pricing, it's not so much about being less expensive as it is about how they don't tie to the hardware on the underlined VMware that you run on, as other vendors do"
  • "This solution is very economical (based on the connections)."

Boomi AtomSphere Integration Reviews

OM
Digital Challenger at a tech services company with self employed
Fairly easy for a semi-technical user to configure and maintain it and is very visual

• "This is a fairly easy-to-use tool for integration which can be self-taught for those with a bit of a technical background."
  • "The API can use some work to come up to speed with the competition but Dell has plans and is working on resolving that."

What is our primary use case?

Boomi's always a mix of a Cloud system for management. You can configure it to connect with an on-premises environment if you need to connect with on-premise data sources. But with Boomi, you don't really have to choose, it is always primarily the Cloud version, and then you just install a means of connecting to an on-premise data source if you need to and that is all.

What is most valuable?

Boomi is a tool that is implemented as a mixed market solution. It is not for very small companies. It is also not the right tool for very large companies that have more than 50 integrations. It is ideal for a mid-sized company with say 5 to 20 integrations — maybe 30 — and then it begins to become too expensive. It is a low code or no-code integration platform, which does exactly what it says. It is fairly easy for a semi-technical user to configure and maintain it. It is very visual. For us, it is simply an alternative for customer development.

What needs improvement?

Boomi consists of several modules, and the API is one product that Boomi is definitely not up to par with. For example, Jitterbit has a better API management module. However, Dell is putting a lot of energy to make changes. There is a new release already now in December or in November (2019), and they're planning some more releases in 2020. But I would say if there is one module that Boomi is less advanced in than the competition it would be the API management. But it might be totally different mid-2020.

Another point that could use improvement for Boomi is license pricing. If you don't know the pricing model very well, you might quickly end up paying more than you expected especially if you are growing and adding integrations. Again, it is different than the competition so it may be difficult to compare, but the pricing model could also clearly be simplified.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

We have not had any problems with stability, so I would say that it is stable.

However, when you compare Boomi to Jitterbit, in terms of how the user interfaces with the integrations, Jitterbit is stronger in that area than Boomi. The user interface, in this case, is only for the people who develop and do the configurations or integration. There is no end-user interface, it is only for the guy who creates the integration. But the screens and the way it is visualized to make your integration is more user-friendly with Jitterbit then with Boomi. Boomi is okay, but it is a bit more of a technical interface made for a more technical user. Jitterbit is a bit nicer, a bit better layout and a bit more intuitive. But once you get over that initial learning and navigation in Boomi and you are up and running it won't matter very much anymore.

I would say the scalability, from my point of view, where you reach kind of a problem is the pricing. Because once you have a lot of integrations, your price goes up. At a certain point, you will say to yourself that it becomes too expensive.

There are other technologies that have a different way of pricing, where you do not pay per integration, but there is a much larger initial fee. In theory, Jitterbit can scale pretty much however you want, because you have a lot of ways to configure it and to make it load-balanced and redundant and so on. Those things are no problem and there are no additional fees. You can do much more with it without additional costs. You are not limited by the number of integrations in your price level. But typically the entry-level fee to start is ten times higher to get started with Jitterbit. So a different type of client will go for that pricing model because they don't want to have to think about the pricing constraints.

The Boomi licensed model is actually about the same cost as Jitterbit in the end. It is positioned for companies with 5 to 35 integrations. Once you go above that, it becomes very expensive. If you have more integrations and need to scale more than that, I see that people would maybe want to go to other products like MuleSoft or other larger players.

Because I don't use Boomi myself, I have never been in contact with them directly for any technical issues. The community is free, and the users there can solve a lot of issues. Most of the time can help yourself with the community if you are a bit of a technical user. If you are not very technical, then typically you will ask someone to coach you and to help you. That might typically be a local partner. You will typically only need accommodation for someone to train you and help you to do the first integration and you will probably be ready to do the next one by yourself.

I would say that someone who is familiar with data and queries and familiar with the world of manipulating data will be able to do the initial setup and be productive with Boomi in three to four days.

There is plenty of online learning and a whole certification track. There is a very, very active community, so when you have questions you can just post queries and a few hours later you will get feedback. It is a tool that someone in your company who has a little bit of a technical background and is experienced with data will probably be able to have a production version up and running and to do a lot of things without help from an external partner. Once you start to do more complex integrations or API management, I would advise that you work with an experienced partner to get you up to speed and design. Doing that will keep you from making too many rookie mistakes that will end up costing more time and money to fix.

But it is a tool that you can use at the company and do it yourself. It is not a tool that you need always to pay an external developer to help evolve.

I'm a consultant. I don't do the implementations myself. I select technologies for clients, and then I coach the clients to use them well. I supervise the partner who integrates them.

Boomi is priced using a different strategy than with Jitterbit. With Jitterbit you pay more at the entry-level. I'm speaking here about the paid version of Jitterbit because Jitterbit also has a free version. With the paid version of Jitterbit, the entry-level is higher than Boomi, but you get the less in the box with Boomi.

So, with Boomi, you can start lower, but you need to make sure that you calculate all the little things you will need, such as a connector for testing. If you are not very familiar with all the options that you don't have, you might think that Boomi is less expensive. But then when you start using it, you see what you need and what you want to add what you had not considered, the pricing scheme can surprise you. It quickly brings up the price to about the same as Jitterbit. As a consultant, I know all this but it may not be obvious even to someone who is careful about due diligence.

We have done an in-depth review of Jitterbit vs. Dell Boomi. For one client we chose Dell Boomi, for the other client we are not sure, we have not decided yet. But both products are, I think, fairly equal. But there are are some differences that would make you choose one over the other.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Dell Boomi AtomSphere as an eight.

What would make it better from my perspective is not just a question of features. There is actually a problem in that market, and that is offering a tool that a company can use by themself without the help of a local partner. I think that is where Boomi as a tool might be just a bit too complex. On the other hand that is also the power of it because the complexity allows you to do more complex integrations. The nice thing is that it is not a case where you have to ask your external partner or technical person to do everything for you. It is really a tool that you can learn to use yourself. I think the point is to be sure you have enough qualified partners and resources locally who can help you when you need it. There I see that Boomi could be a problem for some people depending on location. Because I'm speaking now for Belgium and the Netherlands, in our region it is okay. It can be better, but it is okay.

That is a very big point against Jitterbit. Jitterbit has almost no partners and zero in Belgium. At least not certified partners. That makes it a bit harder to get local support. And I know that for my typical customers — companies that would have from 50 to 1,000 users — that they like to have a local person who can come and coach and help and train, and then also design. In the end, the client wants to do the things themselves, but they want someone to help them to start up. That help is something they prefer in their local, native language and in their local offices. That is something that Boomi provides, even though they could be better in the partner landscape. But for Jitterbit, it is actually non-existent in Belgium. It could be much worse and much more of a problem elsewhere.

There is a roadmap that I saw and it looks very good for the future development of the API, so I have the feeling that Boomi will have the API management issues fairly under control. They can always improve the number and type of connectors that they have for the integrations. What you typically see is that products have various types of connectors in e-class integration at the surface. You have tools that are very focused on sales and marketing, integrating things like your Facebook advertisements, CRM and your leads, and other kinds of integrations. That is not really where Boomi is currently positioned as a big player. There are other companies and products that do those things better.

Then there are other tools that are for really big enterprises or complex systems, and these are very expensive solutions. That is also not where Boomi is positioned. Boomi is mainly focusing on integrating a lot of midsize business databases, CRM systems, ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and things of that sort. They do that very well. But they might want to focus also a bit more on social media and that kind of marketing tool to expand their market base. Maybe not doing that is a strategic choice. But I know that they have a lot of funding from Dell — much more funding than Jitterbit has. They must easily have ten times the funding. They have to use it to improve the product compared to the competition.

So basically in the next releases, they could just improve on the partner landscape, the API management model, and maybe add more features for versatility to do more than they do now.

Hybrid Cloud
KG
Chief Technology Officer - CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Multiple connectors and good stability for demo version

• "The solution has a lot of connectors, which is quite helpful."
  • "The solution is complex. There's a few items and features that are hard to understand. They should work to simplify the functionality so new users don't struggle."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using the solution primarily for testing purposes. I am just experimenting with some areas. I integrate my Google account with my local account and take some data from my local to my Google drive. That's just for me to test things right now. For our customers, they have SAP systems, Oracle systems, CRM systems, etc., and all of these systems are operating with some technical assistance. They will need to transfer the data to their Datalink or data warehouse. For that, they need some integration to make it happen online. This is true for a variety of users on their systems and something that we're working on now.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of connectors, which is quite helpful.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the solution offered some videos for novice settings. Boomi, as a solution, is quite complex for a new user. They need some videos for client implementation for new users. This is needed especially for how users can create connectors and how they can effectively implement the system.

I haven't found any features lacking, so I'm unsure as to if anything is missing or if anything new could accentuate the current offering.

We're currently in the testig process. We're not using the solution. We've been testing it for more than two months.

In terms of stability, it's working well, so it's been nice. It has lots of connectors, and that is good for my purposes. I haven't come across any bugs, glitches, or crashes that would make me concerned about the level of stability provided.

I'm not sure about the scalability of the solution. I tested it in my own environment and did not test scaling.

We haven't contected technical support yet. Currently, I'm speaking with the team at Deel EMC who have helped me here in Turkey, so I haven't needed to contact technical support.

I didn't handle the initial setup. I'm unsure as to if it was complex or straightforward. I'm currently using an installed version.

Since we're in the testing phase, we're using a demo version of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Dell EMC.

We use the on-premises solution because of storage. In Turkey, the cloud is not available for the most part. Our customers are specifically finance organizations, and they are not allowed to use the cloud, due to country-wide regulations. Most of our implementations are on-premises.

We're using the latest version to test in other environments. It's been good so far.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. For what I've seen in the live environment, it's good. However, I'm reserving a few points to see how it goes as I learn the system.

Learn what your peers think about Boomi AtomSphere Integration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HS
Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good data integration, reporting, and facilitates working with big data

• "We work on the flow between systems and the most valuable features for that purpose are the mapping of data, interface mapping, and data integration."
  • "We would like to see more involvement between Dell Boomi and the end-users to help improve the customer experience."

What is our primary use case?

We are the most popular Dell Boomi integrator in the world and the first integrator for this solution in Japan. The primary use case is to act as middleware between legacy systems and cloud-based systems. For example, it will integrate legacy systems with products like Salesforce and SAP for both master data and transactional data.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers are happy because this solution improves both their functional and business areas. This is something that is very important to them.

What is most valuable?

We work on the flow between systems and the most valuable features for that purpose are the mapping of data, interface mapping, and data integration.

This solution can be used to interface with Hadoop to assist when working with big data.

Boomi AtomSphere can help customers to develop a PoC without having to set up an on-premises server.

The reporting is very good.

The Boomi Suggest feature is very important because it provides you with information about the experience that other customers have had and it can help with simulating processes, based on a large knowledge base.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Dell Boomi AtomSphere for more than five years.

Although stability depends more on the team than it does the product itself, I would say that this solution is very stable.

This is a scalable solution that is used by very large companies.

Our relationship with Dell Boomi technical support is very good and we go to them when needed. However, we have a lot of experience and we typically provide solutions to customers without having to request assistance.

The clients in Japan who need to contact technical support directly are directed to the Australia support office.

The initial setup is generally very complex because, in a large company, you can't find anybody that has a global view of both business and technology. This means that you end up speaking with people on the business side, and they are not as familiar with IT. Ultimately, this makes it more difficult to create a PoC.

If the proof of concept is quickly deployed then the customers are generally impressed by the facility and the features that it provides. The length of time for deployment depends on having a good understanding of both the business and of the stakeholders during the proof of concept.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is made for large companies. Smaller organizations don't use these kinds of middleware applications because AtomSphere is used to integrate between large products like SAP and Salesforce.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to have a very good FDD. The functional description of the business processes should be very well described before starting this kind of project.

Overall, this is a very good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

KS
Integration Solution & Platform Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly scalable, simple to install, and reasonably priced

• "Low-code development is the most valuable feature."
  • "They are lacking in some streaming features, and messaging features from a listener's point of view."

What is most valuable?

Low-code development is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

They have progressed from an ESP architecture, but they have not fully embraced all API design first methodologies. As a result, some features in those areas, such as API management, API gateway, API development, and API dashboards, are missing, but they are still a new product.

Better documentation and more know-how knowledge would be appreciated. When it comes to technical support and designing, they don't have that growth rate.

I have been using Boomi AtomSphere Integration for approximately four years.

With the iPaaS integration, we are always using the latest version.

Boomi AtomSphere Integration is a stable product.

We experience a few issues but managed to get them stabilized.

The Boomi AtomSphere Integration is highly scalable.

We have 10 to 15 developers who use this solution, and it is used in over 200 applications.

We have plans to expand in the future.

I believe they still have a long way to go before they can compete with the other products. They're quite helpful in support, but because the product releases so many bug fixes or port releases each month, some of them don't get tested or have issues, and the support team isn't aware of it. So we have to be very involved with them, but they are working hard to improve.

I've used.NET Web Services, Webmethods, and MuleSoft.

They have some advantages and disadvantages, but Boomi AtomSphere Integration stands out and outperforms the other products in terms of licensing and scalability.

From a licensing perspective, especially if you are on-premises, and then the cloud.

From a feature perspective obviously, MuleSoft and others have a bigger issue.

The initial setup was easy.

It took a couple of hours to install.

When it comes to pricing, it's not so much about being less expensive as it is about how they don't tie to the hardware on the underlined VMware that you run on, as other vendors do. It's one of the reasons you're able to grow.

What other advice do I have?

Before you choose a product, understand your integration and API design requirements, as well as the feature capabilities that are required.

I would rate Boomi AtomSphere Integration an eight out of ten.

Venkat  Mylavarapu
Dell Boomi Integration Architect at Saidni
User-friendly, good documentation, and has lots of connectors to facilitate integration

• "This solution has a user-friendly interface and very good documentation with solutions that helped us in working with the tool efficiently."
  • "Lots of enhancements are needed in the API portal so that the developers can view the definitions, try out the APIs, etc."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for creating the processes to interact with external ticketing applications by consuming the web services exposed.

Creating processes for these imported services for the online booking application by exposing the APIs to the front end UI (web, mobile, KIOSK ).

How has it helped my organization?

The user-friendly development interface and the native connections available eased our integration.

Expedited the process and enabled us to create APIs for the consumers.

We had challenges with security and API management, API portal testing, and we used Microsoft Azure to overcome that.

What is most valuable?

Atmosphere is the most valuable feature as there are a lot of out of box connectors that expedited out integration process.

This solution has a user-friendly interface and very good documentation with solutions that helped us in working with the tool efficiently.

Creating and exposing the API was also easy with limited features and scope for enhancements.

What needs improvement?

API management and security need improvement. It needs more capability on the API Administration like approval process, automated process, etc.

Many features need to be added to the API analytics, with more drilled down analyses, and also on API security.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

The product is very stable.

May have to improve on the molecule clustering communication as the cluster seems to be having problems frequently. Otherwise, the solution is scalable.

The technical support for this solution is very good.

Prior to this solution, we used webMethods (Software AG). We implemented Boomi as it is an economical solution with many features such as integration with other products.

The initial setup of this solution was easy enough.

We implemented this solution in-house.

Our ROI is more than 100%.

This solution is very economical (based on the connections).

Before choosing this solution, we evaluated Software AG and Mulesoft.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see dramatic improvements in API management so that the product suite can be on top.

AP
Head of Integration and NetSuite DUs at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
A promising low-code and high-configuration platform that provides value for money

• "It is a low-code and high-configuration platform, which is very valuable. Develop once and run anywhere is another useful feature. It also has connectors for more than 200 applications. It provides value for money. Our customers who have implemented this solution have a very high ROI."
  • "They need to introduce more configurable functions to remove scripting or coding. Scripting should be minimized. It should have exhaustive functions. Currently, it lacks in this aspect."

What is our primary use case?

On the enterprise side, lead to cash, order to procurement, procure to pay, and trouble to resolve are the use cases that we automate very rapidly by using Boomi AtomSphere Integration. On the operational side, it can be very well utilized for industrial IOP. IIOP related use cases are proactive maintenance.

Boomi platform is always on the cloud, but the deployment could be on-premises. The code that we develop can be on the cloud or on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is a low-code and high-configuration platform, which is very valuable. Develop once and run anywhere is another useful feature. It also has connectors for more than 200 applications.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

It is quite stable. Boomi claims 99.99% availability, and this is true.

Technical support is excellent. They are quite prompt. They have free of cost as well as paid support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It is a one-click process. It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. It will take a maximum of 30 minutes.

We implemented it ourselves. It is a complete self-service. You don't need any help.

The number of people required for its deployment and maintenance depends on the complexity and size of the project. For example, for the integration of Salesforce with Netflix for the lead to cash use case, you need a maximum of two resources for three weeks.

What other advice do I have?

We will keep on implementing this solution in the future. I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a very promising product.

I would rate Boomi AtomSphere Integration a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
BE
Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A low-code solution that could benefit from more scripting possibilities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as normal middleware — for transformation routing. We have around 20-100 clients that use this solution.

What needs improvement?

There should be more scripting possibilities. Boomi is essentially low-code/no-code — it's very graphically oriented. If you wish to maintain it, then you'll require more scripting language.

I have been using Boomi AtomSphere Integration for roughly three years.

Boomi AtomSphere Integration is stable.

We have a tight relationship with Boomi. We get support from Boomi then pass it on to our clients. The support they provide us with is very good.

How was

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as normal middleware — for transformation routing.

We have around 20-100 clients that use this solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Boomi AtomSphere Integration for roughly three years.

Boomi AtomSphere Integration is stable.

Boomi is a cloud offering. You just need a subscription and you're ready to go.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. Furthermore, I would recommend using DXC as your provider. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Boomi AtomSphere Integration a rating of seven.

Download our free Boomi AtomSphere Integration Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.