Box Overview

Box is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Box vs SharePoint

What is Box?
Box is a Modern Content Management Platform for companies of all sizes and industries. The difference that Box brings is that it offers the security and controls admins need with the sharing and collaboration capabilities end users want. Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 43 million users and 62,000 businesses--including 59% of the Fortune 500--trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Box platform provides HIPAA, FINRA, FedRAMP, and many other compliances to go with granular access permissions and advanced security capabilities. By using Box you can sync, share, and collaborate on all types of files, anywhere, on any device - but that's just the beginning. You can choose where to store your data, to manage your own encryption keys, and set workflows to automate content-based processes. You can also assign custom metadata tags to content, watermark sensitive content, and set file retention or legal hold policies. Box has deep, native integrations with Microsoft Office and Outlook, Google Apps for Work, Salesforce, Netsuite, Docusign, Adobe, and many other best-of-breed solutions you may already be using.
Box Buyer's Guide

Download the Box Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Box Customers
GE, Toyota, P&G, Caterpillar, Flex, Schneider Electric, Sally Beauty, Eurostar, AstraZeneca, AirBnB, Whirlpool, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Nationwide, Aeropostale etc
Box Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Box pricing:
  • "The pricing of this solution is better than Dropbox."
  • "They are very price competitive when pushed. Initially, they come out with a standard list price, but they are willing to be very competitive. The Box price was pretty much equal to or lower than the Citrix price, and Box has more features."
  • "I believe Box is cheaper than SharePoint."
  • "There's a free version that allows you to use it with almost full-feature access. Even in the free version, it gives you all you need."

MB
Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good folder privacy allows us to responsibly share files between departments

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to store and share our company material between sales, support, and other internal departments. We are a multinational / multicontinent and multi-time zone company having a cloud-based document management platform enhanced usage and eased deployment.

• "The first thing that we liked about this solution is that administrators do not have access to private folders."
  • "I would like to see improvements made in the ability to integrate with other online sharing systems."

What other advice do I have?

This solution has evolved and improved over the past six years. Originally, we had some issues with locking files when somebody was using it. This has been improved. Also, we had a lot of issues with duplicate files because of the fact that two people were opening the same file and modifying it. We ended up having two versions of the same file and we needed to manually merge the changes that were made in both. This is something else that has improved a lot. The suitability of this solution really depends on the needs and requirements. Some of the former Google Docs users found the sharing…
Robert Nevans
CEO at CSToday
Easily collaborate and share information with this feature rich solution

What is our primary use case?

Our clients' primary use cases are for business, mostly enterprise.

• "We've never had a penetration. We've never had a security issue that their support didn't solve. We love their audit trail. We can know exactly when a collaborator opens. We love how you can define a collaborator."
  • "I recommend doing the trial first, because it's not cheap ware. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap ware, and enterprise has a minimum number of users."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I'd rank Box a 10. And I rank their customer service a 9.5. Because they're not as good as GravityZone, but they're better than anybody else out there.
Learn what your peers think about Box. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MW
CEO / PM / Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use for customers and technologists and allows us to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest Box Enterprise. We use it to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions. The general use cases are really just customer collaborations. It might be in a financial institution working with loans or selling loans. With low interest and COVID, most banks are really pushing the refinance functionality, and it is very important for banks and credit unions and even just loan brokerage companies to be able to securely, easily, and safely get information to and from their customers. Most of the time, email is not the way to do it because either people don't… more »

• "Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists."
  • "I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable."

What other advice do I have?

We like this solution, and we prefer to work with the Box consulting team. Basically, for a large company, we would recommend that people work with their professional services just to get things set up quickly and completely. It is possible to do this on your own, but it is faster if you have help from Box. Their pro services are very good. I would rate Box an eight out of ten. Eight is about as good as somebody is going to get. There is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable to make it a ten.
MK
Sr. Staff Data Engineer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
A simple end-user experience that offers good options for access control

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Box for sharing files within our group.

• "The application is very light in terms of uploading and downloading files."
  • "Better integration with other solutions is needed."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this type of solution is to first formulate the use case. Box has certain limitations, but it is very plain and easy to use. If you need collaboration in terms of document management then it provides a simple interface that offers differing levels of granularity in terms of access control. This is a good solution but it does not address all of the use cases for a content management system. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
VC
Associate Data Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Organized and user-friendly with good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use Box for sharing content between devices. For example, if a call is received when we are out of the office, we can use Box to patch in and collect the data, off-site. For mobility purposes, It is better than SharePoint. Within our company, there are just over 50 employees using this solution. We use it frequently for documentation transfer.

• "Box is very user-friendly; more so than SharePoint."
  • "The UI should be faster. Sometimes it lags when switching between documents."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool for everything. It's very similar to SharePoint. I would recommend Box if you are going off-site to meet clients, for mobility purposes. If not, then I would suggest SharePoint. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of eight.
Ahmed Rashad
Product Manager at Tech-hub
A free solution that allows us to store, edit, and share files on the cloud

• "Box is very realistic when it comes to sharing capabilities."
  • "If there was a plugin that added some sort of toolbar in Office, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use this solution. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of nine.
LG
Vice President APAC Cloud Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
A good interface for file sharing and management, but third-party integration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Box as a cloud-based storage service for our employees. We are using it to share documents, such as presentations, between people. Some of our customers have many gigabytes in files and we set up shared access to them using Box.

How has it helped my organization?

It also allows us to maintain and manage all of our documents across the network.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Which solution did I use previously