Box OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Box is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Box vs SharePoint

What is Box?
Box is a Modern Content Management Platform for companies of all sizes and industries. The difference that Box brings is that it offers the security and controls admins need with the sharing and collaboration capabilities end users want. Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 43 million users and 62,000 businesses--including 59% of the Fortune 500--trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Box platform provides HIPAA, FINRA, FedRAMP, and many other compliances to go with granular access permissions and advanced security capabilities. By using Box you can sync, share, and collaborate on all types of files, anywhere, on any device - but that's just the beginning. You can choose where to store your data, to manage your own encryption keys, and set workflows to automate content-based processes. You can also assign custom metadata tags to content, watermark sensitive content, and set file retention or legal hold policies. Box has deep, native integrations with Microsoft Office and Outlook, Google Apps for Work, Salesforce, Netsuite, Docusign, Adobe, and many other best-of-breed solutions you may already be using.
Box Buyer's Guide

Download the Box Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Box Customers
GE, Toyota, P&G, Caterpillar, Flex, Schneider Electric, Sally Beauty, Eurostar, AstraZeneca, AirBnB, Whirlpool, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Nationwide, Aeropostale etc
Box Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Box pricing:
  • "The pricing of this solution is better than Dropbox."
  • "They are very price competitive when pushed. Initially, they come out with a standard list price, but they are willing to be very competitive. The Box price was pretty much equal to or lower than the Citrix price, and Box has more features."
  • "I believe Box is cheaper than SharePoint."
  • "There's a free version that allows you to use it with almost full-feature access. Even in the free version, it gives you all you need."

Box Reviews

MB
Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good folder privacy allows us to responsibly share files between departments

• "The first thing that we liked about this solution is that administrators do not have access to private folders."
  • "I would like to see improvements made in the ability to integrate with other online sharing systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to store and share our company material between sales, support, and other internal departments.

We are a multinational / multicontinent and multi-time zone company having a cloud-based document management platform enhanced usage and eased deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have reduced physical system disk sharing utilizing Box folders instead.

Sharing folders and files is simpler though we still encounter users sending urls in order to share content instead of using internal Box share links.

Private folders are really private.

What is most valuable?

The first thing that we liked about this solution is that administrators do not have access to private folders. This allowed us to set up folders for our HR and finance departments, as well as the CEO, which are not shared with any of the other administrators.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made in the ability to integrate with other online sharing systems. For example, it has the ability to use both Google Suite and Microsoft Online for sharing, but there are improvements that need to be made in both. With Microsoft Online the number of versions rapidly exceeds the number of versions managed by Box making reverting to a previous version impossible. Large files and files with embedded links don't work well with online collaboration. Integrating with Google Suite requires all users to have a Google Enterprise account thereby rendering it an ineffective integration for our needs. Enhanceing intersystem collaboration is the most important feature for us right now.

Some of the users that we have had come from the Google Docs environment found it a little complicated to understand how the Box sharing works. For the others, it was pretty straightforward.

I have been using this solution for the past six years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

Our contract gives us unlimited storage, and over the years we have increased from two hundred to eleven hundred users. We have not seen any degradation in performance with the users that have been added, so it seems to be scaling well.

For the most part, the technical support for this solution is good. On occasion, we get three answers, but I think that the support that we've had has been good.

Prior to this solution, we were using something called StarTeam. It is more of a source control solution, and not really a file management solution. It was much more complex to use. It was working well for the programmers, but any of the other teams had difficulties. The move to Box was relatively straightforward.

The biggest concern that we had during the setup process was figuring out the best folder structure to create. Once we were past that, it was pretty straightforward.

Our deployment took approximately two months and we had about two hundred users at the time.

Our in-house team, which was mostly myself, handled the deployment.

The pricing of this solution is better than Dropbox.

When we chose this solution we were also looking at Microsoft SharePoint. However, at the time it was pre-cloud and we weren't interested in setting up the SharePoint storage system. The reason is that we are dispersed over several continents and time zones, so having it on-premises was a major concern. Basically, that was the only thing that we looked at, at the time.

We have since compared it to Dropbox, but the pricing was much more expensive than what we were paying for with Box.

We are always looking for better solutions if they exist.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has evolved and improved over the past six years. Originally, we had some issues with locking files when somebody was using it. This has been improved. Also, we had a lot of issues with duplicate files because of the fact that two people were opening the same file and modifying it. We ended up having two versions of the same file and we needed to manually merge the changes that were made in both. This is something else that has improved a lot.

The suitability of this solution really depends on the needs and requirements. Some of the former Google Docs users found the sharing complex, so it depends on where you are coming from and what you are looking to do.

The biggest lesson that I have learned using this solution is that some people assume it's very simple to understand the pointers. However, there are some important things to understand with respect to the differences between how to share a file or folder, and some people find it a little complicated to use. It's really a matter of a five-minute instruction, and then they've got the right answers and can use it better. I think that the most important thing is to communicate to the users how to differentiate the best way to use it so that they understand the idea behind it. Also, to explain to people that there's a lot of independence, but you need to understand the use case to do it correctly.

Robert Nevans
CEO at CSToday
Easily collaborate and share information with this feature rich solution

• "We've never had a penetration. We've never had a security issue that their support didn't solve. We love their audit trail. We can know exactly when a collaborator opens. We love how you can define a collaborator."
  • "I recommend doing the trial first, because it's not cheap ware. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap ware, and enterprise has a minimum number of users."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients' primary use cases are for business, mostly enterprise.

What is most valuable?

One of the coolest features in the enterprise is nominal file requests. Let's say you're getting a tune-up to your state plan, and the law has changed. There is a questionnaire with some documents and the paralegal sends them to you in just a normal email with the custom URL. You don't have to have a Google account for Google Drive or a Microsoft account for OneDrive. The fact that you are within the time window and within the credentialed determination, Box is aware of who does everything. They're the most compliant company we've ever encountered. We never run into a FIPSE or HIPAA or Sox issue with Box because they check every one of the boxes every time. So you never have to worry about that. To finish the story, you get that email, click on that link, fill in some answers on a TLS secure webpage, they give you a place to upload, and you're done.

From our user side or client side, when you hit that submit, you get deposited right in their client file, in your folder. And every one of your answers becomes metadata that will accompany all of your documents, all the way through your journey. This eliminates errors. It eliminates redundancy. It eliminates retyping. It's searchable. It's taggable. Really, really exquisite.

The other thing about Box is that it has a really, really simple installation of the desktop component. And their new one, Box Drive, the users love. It creates a thumbnail, a meta, in your Explorer, whether it's Windows or Mac so everything you have access to in the cloud version you also have in the browser version. It's so easy, especially for older users. We find if they're over 40, then they have a much easier time with Box.

Let me spend a little time on that because that's really important - Box versus other cloud storage. Instead of being one dimensional, it's three dimensional. You can visualize a little matrix. Do you want them to be able to download this thing or just look at it? Do you want them to be able to upload and not download? Do you want them to be able to edit? Do you want them to be able to print? You can inhibit or enable any of those. So you can be dealing with opposing counsel and you don't want them to download, you just want them to see it, because your only responsibility to the court is that they can see it. But you don't want them stealing your work product. Box protects our client's intellectual property while allowing them to do business. So it's really exquisite.

The user interface is straightforward and simple. We also do a bunch of pro bono. One of our clients is sobrietyhouse.org, the largest, oldest, lowest recidivist rate, lowest cost rehab in Colorado. We regularly deploy Box there. We've tried to help this year with Save the Stages, with helping various musicians and other creators. This is a good example of how flexible Box is.

In our corporate account, we will have extremely confidential information. We can create a folder set, share it to a band in Boulder and let them use that to collaborate vids, MP3s, tracks. Everything that they're trying to get ready for their Facebook Watch. And we can jump on and help. Box Note is like notepad, but 100 people can be on at the same time, tuning and perfecting, which works beautifully for lyric development.

That's completely isolated, works fine, costs them nothing. It's subsumed under our umbrella Box enterprise account. Because we have an unlimited number of external users we can add it's got a good genome. Yet, it wasn't designed by marketing people. It was designed by engineers and people who actually did work for a living.

I have been using Box for about nine years.

I recommend doing the trial first, because it's not cheap ware. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap ware, and enterprise has a minimum number of users. Of course, it's nothing for us because we were well in excess to that minimum. But check your pricing. Don't think that just because Google Drive is cheaper that doesn't make it better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I'd rank Box a 10. And I rank their customer service a 9.5. Because they're not as good as GravityZone, but they're better than anybody else out there.

Learn what your peers think about Box. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MW
CEO / PM / Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use for customers and technologists and allows us to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions

• "Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists."
  • "I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest Box Enterprise. We use it to collaborate securely with customers in controlled conditions. The general use cases are really just customer collaborations. It might be in a financial institution working with loans or selling loans. With low interest and COVID, most banks are really pushing the refinance functionality, and it is very important for banks and credit unions and even just loan brokerage companies to be able to securely, easily, and safely get information to and from their customers.

Most of the time, email is not the way to do it because either people don't know how to use email securely or the files are too large to be sent via email. That's why these file-sharing collaboration things are really popular and should be really popular with the financial industry. This is a huge use case right now.

What is most valuable?

Governance and ease of use are why I think a lot of people like Box, including ourselves. Basically, we're concerned about what information is being sent to Box, so we use a lot of the Box governance features to make sure that what is being sent to Box is appropriate. If it is not appropriate, it is not allowed to be sent. It is also pretty easy to use. It is the easiest to use for customers and for technologists.

What needs improvement?

I haven't really come across a case where we're not able to use it for what it is, so I don't really have anything holding us up or any customers holding us up at this point that I know of. There are always some limitations, but as a technologist, I just live with them, and there is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have seen cases where the number of people using it in an organization goes as high as 1,000.

Their support was very good. We very rarely need support, but when we did engage them, they were quick to respond and very accurate and complete.

In addition to Box and ShareFile, we also use a product called Egnyte. It is very similar to Box. I would say it is on an equal level with Box. Both Box and Egnyte are better than ShareFile.

We are in a reseller and consulting role for some companies, and some of our customers wanted to go with Box because they're a larger company. It was basically just a perception of financial stability. It was not that there was a concern that Egnyte wasn't stable. It was just a concern that they were a much smaller company. They perceive a large company as a lower risk.

What other advice do I have?

We like this solution, and we prefer to work with the Box consulting team. Basically, for a large company, we would recommend that people work with their professional services just to get things set up quickly and completely. It is possible to do this on your own, but it is faster if you have help from Box. Their pro services are very good.

I would rate Box an eight out of ten. Eight is about as good as somebody is going to get. There is always room for improvement, but I don't have anything quantifiable to make it a ten.

MK
Sr. Staff Data Engineer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
A simple end-user experience that offers good options for access control

• "The application is very light in terms of uploading and downloading files."
  • "Better integration with other solutions is needed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Box for sharing files within our group.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the set of security options that can be set when sharing files with a group. There is a lot of flexibility in that you can assign specific people read-only permissions. It can be done at the object level, or the folder level.

The application is very light in terms of uploading and downloading files.

With respect to the end-user experience, this is a very simple solution.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other solutions is needed. Some use cases require the user to integrate with a document management system, or they may want to do some sort of workflow management. For example, if they want to maintain an integrational ERP system then different departments may have different requirements. The legal team will require a different set of controls than the HR department, and they want to have some sort of workflow as a process. I do these things manually because they are lacking in this product. If an ERP needs a file stored in Box then it should be able to download it directly.

I would like to see an indexing system because without knowing the filename, it is difficult to find what I am looking for amongst thousands of files. It would be nice to have some sort of metadata.

I have been using Box for five or six years.

My team has had no issues in terms of stability. My use case is really simple and straightforward.

With perhaps 200,000 users, we have had no issues with scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

We use several other tools for content management such as Documentum, Alfresco, and SharePoint. The choice of tool depends on the use case.

We have our own in-house team that deploys this product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this type of solution is to first formulate the use case. Box has certain limitations, but it is very plain and easy to use. If you need collaboration in terms of document management then it provides a simple interface that offers differing levels of granularity in terms of access control.

This is a good solution but it does not address all of the use cases for a content management system.

Private Cloud
VC
Associate Data Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Organized and user-friendly with good stability

• "Box is very user-friendly; more so than SharePoint."
  • "The UI should be faster. Sometimes it lags when switching between documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use Box for sharing content between devices. For example, if a call is received when we are out of the office, we can use Box to patch in and collect the data, off-site. For mobility purposes, It is better than SharePoint.

Within our company, there are just over 50 employees using this solution.

We use it frequently for documentation transfer.

What is most valuable?

Box is very user-friendly; more so than SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, their website doesn't work properly. It could be improved with a better user interface.

The UI should be faster. Sometimes it lags when switching between documents.

Sometimes it is compatible with our other devices, but sometimes it's only allocatable to use in the proper way. It's not really optimized for high compatibility with other devices.

I have been using Box for six months.

The stability is good. I had never experienced any issues with it.

We have a limited document size (no more than 50MB) so we don't have any scalability issues.

Our team doesn't do maintenance, but they do provide some technical support.

I haven't personally contacted technical support.

We also use SharePoint. Overall, I prefer SharePoint over Box; but that's only because I am more familiar with SharePoint as I have used it longer than Box.

Our clients use this solution. I have never been involved with the initial setup.

I believe Box is cheaper than SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool for everything. It's very similar to SharePoint.

I would recommend Box if you are going off-site to meet clients, for mobility purposes. If not, then I would suggest SharePoint.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of eight.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Ahmed Rashad
Product Manager at Tech-hub
A free solution that allows us to store, edit, and share files on the cloud

• "Box is very realistic when it comes to sharing capabilities."
  • "If there was a plugin that added some sort of toolbar in Office, that would be great."

What is most valuable?

Box is very realistic when it comes to sharing capabilities. The editable features and upgrading capabilities are great. You can work on a document online and save it online. The versioning is a very attractive feature. You can check the updates that were made to a document, and trace which edits each team member made. I also like that it prevents updates from occurring while someone is using it.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is still a desktop version; I used to use it in the past. If it's still in use, there should be a Microsoft Office plugin because most of the shareable documents are generated,  represented, or displayed in Microsoft Office. If there was a plugin that added some sort of toolbar in Office, that would be great.

Most of our digital content is now shareable. We can share a post on our Box account from Facebook. We can share a tweet from Twitter on our Box account. For this reason, it needs to be more viewable. Every website has a photo or some sort of location displayed on its website. You can find a logo for YouTube and Facebook and Insta and Twitter. You should be able to do the same with Box.

I have been using Box since 2013.

Box is very stable and secure.

Box is quite scalable, they offer several types of subscriptions. There's a free version that allows you to use it with almost full-feature access. Even in the free version, it gives you all you need.

I use the free version. It provides me with all of the features that I need.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to use this solution. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Box a rating of nine.

LG
Vice President APAC Cloud Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A good interface for file sharing and management, but third-party integration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Box as a cloud-based storage service for our employees. We are using it to share documents, such as presentations, between people. Some of our customers have many gigabytes in files and we set up shared access to them using Box.

How has it helped my organization?

It also allows us to maintain and manage all of our documents across the network.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Which solution did I use previously

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other products should be improved.

We have never had any specific issues related to the stability of Box.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to Box, we used a Microsoft storage solution. We chose Box because of the advantages that it has.

Box is on-par with other similar solutions that are on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.