Broadcom Clarity PPM Overview

Broadcom Clarity PPM is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Project Portfolio Management tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow IT Business Management: Broadcom Clarity PPM vs ServiceNow IT Business Management

What is Broadcom Clarity PPM?
CA PPM represents a single platform that enables you to manage your entire innovation lifecycle and make more informed strategic investments. CA PPM helps you track and prioritize market and customer requirements and make better decisions on how to invest limited resources, so you can optimize your enterprise, IT, service and product portfolio. Further, it offers the unified, comprehensive project management capabilities you need to deliver quality initiatives on time and on budget. Available via SaaS, on-premise, and hosted delivery models.

Broadcom Clarity PPM is also known as Clarity PPM, CA Clarity, CA PPM, CA Clarity PPM .

Broadcom Clarity PPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Broadcom Clarity PPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Broadcom Clarity PPM Customers
Toyota Financial Services, GameStop, Polycom, Sky, Qantas, Cox Enterprises, Banco Mercantil, Borealis
Broadcom Clarity PPM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

KF
Process Manager
Our project, resource, and portfolio management processes are combined in one solution

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for project management, but also for topics like resource management and portfolio management.

• "The most valuable features are the project, resource, and portfolio management processes are combined in one solution. The data is possible to use either in the one or the other process, and we do not need to enter the data multiple times."
  • "The competency and available support are quite good, therefore we do not have any issues with support. Every time that we have a case where we need support, it is clarified right away."
  • "It would be good for them to work on the user interface to make it more interactive."

What other advice do I have?

Think about processes before implementing the solution. Then, connect the processes with the solution and make sure the solution is supporting the processes, and not that the processes need to be adjusted to fit to the solution. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is to have a good balance between cost and functionality.
Manager IT Project Portfolio at Owens-Illinois, Inc.
Creates visibility across our whole organization and improves our strategic decision making

What is our primary use case?

We use PPM for strategic portfolio management across our entire organization, and for managing all of our strategic projects. We're on the latest release of 15.3, and so far it's performing great. It's meeting all our needs.

• "it creates visibility across our whole organization. People that were often left in the dark wondering what was happening with projects. Now have an easy solution to see all the information they want to see across the whole portfolio."
  • "It's definitely improving our ability to make better decisions, and improving the quality of data that we have, to make the decisions for the strategic good of the company."
  • "The new UX is great because it has helped remove some of those barriers, so that people who are not classically trained project managers can easily get up to speed in using the tool without having to learn a whole other tool set. It's very intuitive, and very collaborative, and very easy to adapt to their existing work styles."
  • "I wish patches would be quicker since we're a SaaS customer, and just be a non-event, so we don't have to go through a whole - essentially - upgrade cycle, just to do a patch. As a SaaS customer, I'd like the patch to just happen."
  • "When we upgraded to 15.1, we had some challenges around Jaspersoft, and also some issues with supporting some of the complex process work flows that we had designed internally, that were affected by some changes in the process engine."

What other advice do I have?

The new UX is great because it has helped remove some of those barriers, so that people who are not classically trained project managers can easily get up to speed in using the tool without having to learn a whole other tool set. It's very intuitive, and very collaborative, and very easy to adapt to their existing work styles. Regarding choosing a vendor, for us the vendors need to understand how we do business, and understand our unique needs and requirements, and be responsive. Start simple. We tried to do too much in the beginning. Just start simple and grow into the tool.
Learn what your peers think about Broadcom Clarity PPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Developer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Centralizes all our project data in one location, but needs Gantt to MS Project link

What is our primary use case?

Project Management and timesheets.

• "Allows us to track all of a project's elements in one database."
  • "Needs Gantt to MS Project link."

What other advice do I have?

Consider your company's requirements and review the features of PPM against those requirements.
Projects and Planning at a government with 201-500 employees
Video Review
Within the SaaS environment, it has been extremely stable and reliable

• "What has been valuable are the workflows that are there today in order to keep our executive staff informed as well as our program managers and department managers."
  • "Within the SaaS environment (since CA is supporting it), it has been extremely stable and reliable."
  • "The look and the feel of 14.4 is a bit antiquated."

What other advice do I have?

I would probably rate it about an eight out of 10, because there is always room for improvement. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It is more about the product and what it can provide for us as well as the professionalism of the organization and the staff. We rely quite heavily on their expertise and on their thoughts as well as their best practices.
Project Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives visibility into where we're at on projects, if we're in trouble or not

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing projects.

• "Visibility to where we are on projects. It tells someone where we are; if we're in trouble or not."
  • "Easy to use, visually. The new UX is intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

I think the new UX is going to be better for project planning. There are some features I'm looking forward to in future releases. Some of the stuff we saw in the roadmap: program planning, roadmapping, dependencies. The Resource Planning, I look forward to using that a little more. When choosing a product/vendor the important criteria for me are * easy to use * quick results; being able to provide a status in two seconds * having anyone else sign in, where I can display my screen, and they know what's happening with the project. That's important to me. I rate it an eight out of 10 because it's…
    DM
    Project Manager
    Everything is together, "one source of truth," but the old UI is clunky

What is our primary use case?

Manage projects, resources, and financials. It's performing better with the new UI. The old UI is clunky and slow, but it's staring to get better.

• "It's pretty much the source of "the truth." Everything is together, everyone can see all the resources, financial projects, how long a project's going to take. Anybody can go in there and see any information they need about the organization as a whole."
    • "The new UI makes it easier for people to go in there and know what to do. To train people, it's faster, more intuitive."
    • "With the new UI, CA is heading in the right direction, and fast. They're adding features, I would say major features, two times a year, which is fast. They're adding features, I would say major features, two times a year, which is fast."
    • "The Work Breakdown Structure in the Tasks: I should be able to drag and drop to a level three instead of just stuck at level two."
    • "The classic UI is very cumbersome. It can do everything but it's hard to use. It's easy to use once you understand it, but it's intimidating at first for somebody to see the solution."

What other advice do I have?

It has improved; 15.3 was a huge update. You have the Risks/Issues/Changes added to the new UX. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor include * usability * functionality * making it easy for the end user to use. Make people want to use it. If anything's overly complex, people won't use it. People have a difficult time moving to a new solution so it just has to be easy, so a non-technical user should be able to feel comfortable, click around, and not be intimidated by the solution. I would give it a seven out of 10, just because the classic UI is very cumbersome. It can do…
    Business Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Allows me to track projects, easily produce status reports, and check risks/issues

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for project and for portfolio planning, and we're continuing to use it for financial investment planning in the future. We've got four different instances on it, but we've only rolled it out in my area, corporate IT, and for 150 users. It performs well.

• "It allows me to keep track of the projects, residual location, it gives me the ease of getting status reports out, and checking risks and issues."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criterion is longevity. I give CA PPM a nine out of 10 because there's always room for improvement, but they gave a good quality solution. I would recommend it.
      Head of EPMO at Telstra
      Video Review
      Drives more insights and provides information to our executives to make better decisions

• "The app style of the new UI is absolutely fantastic. It's the right way to go. Our users will love it."
      • "I think there's still a little bit of opportunity that we can do some stuff better in relation to the financial part of it; just that easier integration, that look and feel. Our project managers, and obviously finance people, love to interface and use of Excel. The more we can get CA PPM to behave in a similar way, which we're already starting to gain in that path, will be absolutely fantastic."

What other advice do I have?

There are a few things we looked at when we scanned the market for moving to a new PPM system. We've had CA since 2008, but we actually took a step back and looked at the entire market. For us, it's obviously the reputation that they have in the market, but more importantly today, really, around the cloud and the SaaS arrangements that you enter into. You also need to look at where you think that organization's going to take that product moving forward. For us, what gave us a level of confidence was the investment and the transparency that CA showed in relation to their product roadmap, and…
      Solution Architect
      Video Review
      Provides transparency of investment portfolios from top-level financial to delivery drivers

• "Provides transparency through your investment portfolios at the top-level financial all the way down to the work that drives delivery."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. Nothing ever rates a 10. There's always areas, opportunity to improve.
        System Admin Manager
        The visibility and one central source of truth effectively enable our processes

• "Upgrades were pretty straightforward. CA took care of everything, we just did the testing."
        • "Financials are okay, but there's a lot of room for improvement in financials.​Financial plans, if those could be made so that you're not always grouping your financial data by predefined attributes, that would be helpful for us."
        • "I think user-friendliness is the key. Right now it's really clunky. We're also looking to upgrade, but an upgrade is not going to fix everything. The new UX is good, but there are still a lot of limitations. Once they work through those kinks and get those limitations removed, we'll be able to upgrade."
        • "In the timesheet UX, you can't do things like splitting time, managing overtime versus regular time, very easily. That would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't be able to say there is one particular criterion that's important when selecting a vendor, it's a combination of all of them that we will look at, like * trust * cost * the value they're going to bring. I would rate it eight out of 10, actually. I would say definitely look at this solution but understand your business needs first. There is a tendency on the customer side to look for "one size fits all." That's never the case. So make sure Clarity is really a best fit for your business needs. Otherwise, you are just buying a fancy, glorified timesheet tool.
        Project And Portfolio Analyst at a security firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It is allowing us to keep track of what our projects are doing

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it for analyzing our projects. It is performing very well at the moment. We do want to expand our functionality to include resource management, portfolio management, and more of the financial aspects of it, as well.

• "It is allowing us to keep track of what our projects are doing, and the idea module, what projects are coming into the pipeline."
        • "The risks issues and changes are not in the new UX yet."

What other advice do I have?

Do your research, do your homework, and definitely, contact CA. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Product stability: It has been around for a while. It is not a brand new thing. * The reputation of the vendor * Cost
        PPM Product Owner at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Ability to have all the data in one place from risks and issues to resource capacity and actual utilization

What is our primary use case?

We use it for project management, resource management and, to a lesser extent, portfolio management. We are definitely doing well in resource management, although struggling to adjust to the agile environment. As far as project management, we are doing risks and issues, status reports, change requests, all your standard issue pin box stuff, and that is going just fine. In the portfolio management space, we are going to be growing our usage, and we are excited to see the stuff in version 15.

• "The ability to have all of the data in one place from risks and issues to resource capacity and actual utilization."
        • "I am going to be maintaining both new UX screens, which the blueprints make look like it is going to be really easy, but we would still have to be maintaining new UX screens as well as classic views for those functionalities that are not yet available in the new UX."

What other advice do I have?

No tool is going to fix your process problems. You better have a pretty good process in place, and know exactly what it is you are trying to do. Implementing a tool in parallel with implementing a process, you are potentially going to do that sort of over-engineering that I was talking about. The tool is not going to solve the problem. The tool can help you automate, but it is not going to solve those problems. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Being available when we need them, and leaving us alone otherwise. Being available to us when we need the assistance. It is great to…
        Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
        We use it to manage financial plans against projects

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for project management, but really in a federal perspective which is acquisition management: Contracts are deployed for what the budgets were, how much has been appropriated against that budget, and managing the financial plans against projects. It performs great!

• "Absolutely, the most active community I have ever been on."
        • "It is very stable. We are on demand. With on demand, those guys keep it running."
        • "They won't let me put a button on the UI."

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure it handles all the business cases. Spend more time with the customer or the end users to get as many of the business cases and try to flush out "what ifs" with them, because it will make the configuration easier and you won't be backtracking. You do not want next year them saying, "They wanted that or we would have done this differently." Get upfront and mess with it, because it can do a lot of stuff. Join the communities, the CA communities, because you can learn tons. You can ask people questions. It is the best community that I have ever been in with lots of different…
        Product Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        It is easier to use than most other products that are out there, but the community does not provide answers to my questions

What is our primary use case?

The use case is for us to be able to use PPM for its "true" program and portfolio management. We have not used it like that in the past. We want to get back to using it the way it was originally designed. I would say to date, because we are on version 14.4, it has been doing what we need for it to do. We are looking forward to moving up to 15.3 with more of the capabilities.

• "It is easier to use than most other products that are out there."
        • "In the community, I do not see a lot of answers. A lot of people asking lots of questions, but I am not seeing a lot of answers come through​."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a really good roadmap of what you want the tool to do for project and portfolio management, which is really what it is supposed to be doing. From a financial, what kind of data you would think. From a resource management, what you expect. There are other systems, like PeopleSoft. A lot of people use PeopleSoft. That is your true resource management system. It should not be used as a PPM. For finance, a lot of people use Oracle, and other things. That should be your sources system, it should not be PPM, so do not make PPM more than it is supposed to be. Use the other source…
        Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        The performance is really good. Maybe improve the use of Jaspersoft.​

What is our primary use case?

The primary usage is for coastal location and project management. The performance is really good.

• "The performance is really good."
        • "​Maybe we need to bring some financial executive reports to our directors and executives. Maybe we can improve the use of Jaspersoft.​"
        • "The Latin American support could be better due to the language barrier."

What other advice do I have?

Try the solution according to your necessities. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Big name brand * Proven solutions * Theories * Implementations * Especially the functionality in their solutions.
        Senior Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        The new UI should solve our issues around adoption, but they need to build more capability and unification into the reporting

What is our primary use case?

We are in the business management office. We use it for our portfolio and project management and planning activities. We are using an older version. Therefore, it is fairly limited, but I think what we are seeing in the newest version addresses a lot of the concerns that we are having.

• "We have a centralized view that we can have in our delivery and business organizations.​"
        • "Build more capability and unification into the reporting.​"

What other advice do I have?

Understand your business processes first, in great detail. Then, understand your data structures and you will be home free. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Since we are a global, multinational company, we require all of the following: * They have got to be on our preferred vendor list, before we are allowed to talk to them. * Relationship * Price * Support. We look at how can we leverage the product and how can we get pricing and scalability across the whole enterprise.
        IT Project Manager at IBERIABANK
        Helps us predict resource capacity but the user interface could be better

What is our primary use case?

Within my company, resource capacity management. That's the PMO's goal for it at this time. Hopefully in the future we will manage portfolios in addition to using it as a prime entry system. Some people are not used to managing through the tool, but as far as the tool goes, it works very well.

• "The reporting tools are superior to what was there before, which was someone crunching through an Excel spreadsheet. I've been able to do status reports through the projects, which has given visibility to my manager, and that's an improvement."
        • "It has improved communication vertically, with some amount of data to be able to show that more resources are necessary, or why projects aren't moving as fast as management would like. That sort of communication makes my job a lot easier."
        • "I enjoy the Risks/Issues section.I use that to raise things before they happen."
        • "I appreciate the report that shows how utilized a person is set to be within the coming months. I use that feature a good bit."
        • "The only real improvement from my side - I'm spoiled by things like Trello, with the very easy user interface, things like Basecamp - it's very much a static software project. If I was to focus on something it would be that user interface; making that something that is a joy to use, instead of something that feels like data entry."
        • "It should be integrated with CA Service Desk Manager so that, when you have time for a ticket or when someone gets assigned a ticket, in PPM it automatically shows that they have to account for that: that they would both enter time in the past and, also, that this is going to take them time in the future."
        • "As far as a tool that communicates with resources, with individuals - what they're supposed to do next or what action items came out of what meeting - it's not really used that way. Probably I could envision a way that it would be used that way. Until it's as easy as sending an email, it probably won't be utilized by the resources in that manner."
        • "We use Service Desk Manager as well. We have a custom tool to integrate the two. One of the reasons why PPM was chosen was because, "Well, it must integrate with SDM, because they're the same company." But that was not the case."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, at this point I feel like there could be more done to make it a more fluid experience. Five years ago, seven years ago, that sort of windows and records click was standard, and there wasn't much else out there that was better. Nowadays, things are, across software packages, just a little bit more fluid. Is that a bad thing that it's like that? No, it's just that's where they could go next. Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are, first, that they meet the requirements that we set ahead of time. Second, that they are willing to answer those questionnaires…
        Senior Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
        Having information altogether in one single source is a key feature, but it still lacks other key features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case has been for supply and demand management and resource management. So far, it has been okay. We do two levels of resource management. Our first level is at the project overallocation, then we also have to do resource checking at the key date and event management. On the event management side, we had to do some custom steps. Our research managers and our booking managers have to go through multiple steps to go through that process. It is still efficient, but it is not as efficient as it could be if we had to do some custom stuff. There are some tool limitations. We had to… more »

• "Having information all together in one single source."
        • "Being able to look at the data across team members, resources, projects and coming up with the algorithms and resources."
        • "There are some tool limitations. We had to create some of our own summary competencies to create more of an agile tool concept, or an agile team concept, that they did not really have.​"
        • "When you are going to a more collaborative based approach, PPM does not support that."

What other advice do I have?

Talk to other clients. The depths of tools and technologies that you have available for all clients has surprised me. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Willingness to do partnerships * Willingness to be transparent * Credentials and references from other people.
        Manager Of Engineer at Daktronics
        Helps us capture market ideas, gather criteria for them, and make better business choices

What is our primary use case?

Portfolio management, to capture market ideas, gather criteria around those ideas, and make business choices on which ones to move forward. We're in the early stages of implementation, but it seems better than the tool we had before, which was a spreadsheet.

• "It makes it easier to compare different opportunities, and to track the metrics though the process. It helps us make better choices of which opportunities to go after and not go after."
        • "I would like to see more team-based management, and less people-based management; as far as the resource management goes, to do it per team and not per person."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, I don't have an opinion. I've only used it a little bit so I don't think I'm the best person to ask about the UX itself. I think it's easy to use. When selecting a vendor functionality is the first criteria, does it do what it needs to do. Certainly trust in the vendor is in that list as well. But the first need is that the tool has to do what we need it to do. Be clear about how you want to use the tool, what processes you intend to use as you're making your selections.
        Program Management at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The tool brings transparency to the organization, but there is a lack of seamless integration with industry standard products

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is about demand management and understanding where our resources are allocated and who is over or underallocated. Often we find that our shared services organization is caught blindsided when demand comes their way all of a sudden, and they have no previous inclination of that. Something like CA PPM would really mitigate some of that as we forecast our demand for the next six months, or whatever. Shared services would know ahead of time as to be able to balance, not only the work, but even make some hiring decisions ahead of time, as to be not caught by surprise. IT just… more »

• "Transparency and just having the ability to procure information that is pertinent."
        • "​​I would really like a modern UI. I do not want to get on a user interface and feel like I am in the 1990's.​"
        • "There is a lack of seamless integration with industry standard products."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the needs of your organization first. If you can meet that need with a scalpel, do not go with the sledgehammer. CA's outlook has a pretty broad spectrum in terms of being able to meet the needs of varying organization sizes. However, focus on the need that you have at that point in time and do not cast such a broad and wide net, because chances are your organizational change management is going to limit you anyway. Take a look at what your needs are. Choose a product that is modern and cloud-based. Do it in phases. Do not try to bite more than you can chew. Most important criteria…
        Business Advisor at Mary Kay
        Provides a centralized platform for collecting and rolling up resource and cost planning

What is our primary use case?

It's project and portfolio management. We just rolled out phase one, but the primary use case for us right now is to make sure that all our project managers are able to put their resource plans and cost plans into a centralized system, so that our finance team can roll those numbers up and do forecasting. In terms of evaluating it performance, we just started about two months ago, so it's hard to say right now. Numbers are rolling up but folks are still getting used to the process and are slowly working towards that.

• "We just put all the data into one place and hopefully, after we have accurate data, we can make more decisions based on real data rather than gut feeling."
        • "We use a product called TFS and we would definitely like to see integration with that. It's not there right now. Agile Central is the one that is integrated with."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, we haven't used it yet. When it comes to selecting a vendor, although I wasn't involved in the selection, what I heard my boss say was that there are a lot of Fortune 500 companies using it, and if all of them trust it, that's probably a good indication that it's a good product. Just focus on what there truly is, because there is a lot of functionality in the tool, and probably nobody is going to use all of it. So just focus on what you think are the most important things for you right now and just look at those particular features.
        System Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        A single portfolio and project management application, with time tracking for all workers

What is our primary use case?

Portfolio and project management. We just started, but it's a simple and powerful tool. I really love it compared to the previous one.

• "I'd like to see blueprints. I'd also like to see the user interface simplified, and to have a lot of templates available on each blueprint."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, I actually haven't heard about it. When selecting a vendor the most important criteria are that * their product has to be easy to maintain * the users can easily adopt it, with whatever interface * it's easy to upgrade. I would tell colleagues who are looking for a similar solution this will work. Give it a try. I know there are a lot of products out there, and companies that are really well known. But just give them a chance to demo it and you will like it.
          Senior Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Rolls up financials at the product level, helping managers track program and portfolio finances

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly for handling the project and financial management across the organization. Mostly it is the IT department of the company which uses this tool. We may have a user base, in all, of about 20,000 users. It is also used by all the vendors of American Express. We on-board them onto the tool, and then they are able to track their the time against all the projects which they are working on with American Express. There are a lot of other use cases.

• "It helps all the portfolio managers and the program managers to take stock of the financial situation at the program and portfolio level, because it rolls up all the financials at the product level."
          • "We also have integration with CA Agile Central. So we get all the project-related data and the user stories-related data into it and we report on to that: How much funding is there, and how much are the actuals between these two tools?"
          • "they could improve the mobile app. I think right now it only offers time sheet. If they can integrate a lot of other components into it I think that would be helpful for the users."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, we have not actually onboarded that yet. But, we plan to in the near future. From the administration team, we have seen it, we have implemented it in our sandbox environment, but it's not rolled out at the organization level yet. There is still a lot of planning to go into that. Regarding the most important criterion when selecting a vendor to go with, I think it would be a long-term partnership that the company has with them. If we had already engaged with them in some other products and we see a value, then I think that would be the most important criterion. I would say…
          IT Senior Manager
          It is very stable, however some teams in my organization see the tool as overhead

What is our primary use case?

I am a project manager/program manager, too. So I look at it from the high level also, which is a lot more difficult I think for the program. For it to go back to the initiative, figure out exactly what you are spending, how much you are spending on it, and which projects are included in it. From a project standpoint, I think it actually works really well, because it is much more simplistic, and it is at that lower level. So, you can track your risks, issue some changes, and it is a lot easier than when you go up and roll up to that program level.

• "We see it as overhead. Let us collect all the data in one place. Which, it is always nice to have everything in one place, but it does cause that overhead."

What other advice do I have?

We see it as overhead. Let us collect all the data in one place. Which, it is always nice to have everything in one place, but it does cause that overhead. So a lot of the teams are not comfortable with it. They are going to track it separately. We are just a data gatherer to say, "Okay, what is the last date we are going to code drop? When are we going to be SD?" So, a lot of overhead.
            Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            It is very intuitive. Even if you do not have training documents, you can start feeling your way around pretty easily.

What is our primary use case?

Primary usage is to track project information, including the labor book to projects. The performance has been really good.

• "​It is very intuitive. Even if you do not have training documents or anything, you can start feeling your way around pretty easily."
            • "​I would like to be able to do time submission and time approvals on mobile rather than have to go in the system."

What other advice do I have?

Contact CA. They are very good at sending up a PoC. I do like the new UX very much. We have only turned onto a few users so far. We just upgraded to 15.3 a few months ago. The ones that have been using it do like it very much. We just have not rolled it out to everyone yet. We want to have some feedback first. So far, it has been very positive. Most important criteria for selecting a vendor: * Support is a big one. * Ease of use of the product. * It interfaces well, and we are able to get the data out that we need.
            Manager at Geha
            It has highlighted areas in our company that were deficient in resources. However, the integration needs to be improved with Jaspersoft and MS Project.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for both portfolio and project management, as well as time tracking and resource management.

• "It has highlighted areas in our company that were deficient in resources. It has allowed us to hire, then realize more benefits regarding the number of projects we can get done.​"
            • "Their online documentation is okay. It is not great. It is hard to get to some of the answers to the things that we may be running into, such as use cases that we are trying to fix. So, frequently we have to put in tickets."
            • "One of the areas that we would improve upon is not necessarily with the tool, but having more tips/tricks on adoption. How to get people outside of the PMO to use the tool and get the information."
            • "The integration needs to be improved with Jaspersoft and Microsoft Project.​"

What other advice do I have?

I would give them advice that the learning curve and the adoption curve for an organization, which is attempting to bite off this much functionality and complexity, is a lot longer than they will think. Put some serious energy into how to get the groups involved into driving adoption. Then, knowing that the new OData connector is now out, finding ways to quickly leverage data, so you can start telling business stories and showing the value of the tool. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Stability in the marketplace. We definitely wanted to go with something that was going to be…
            Managing Director at Statpathfinder Consulting
            Provides visibility into project statuses, bottlenecks, and why things are being delayed

What is our primary use case?

I don't specifically have a use case, I'm more on the sales end, of going to the federal government. For the federal government of Canada, this has been selected as the tool of choice for PPM solutions.

• "Visibility is the number one feature. They can see where the bottlenecks are, they can see what their project statuses are, why are things being held up, etc."

What other advice do I have?

I give it a ten. Like I said, the scalability is great. It has a small amount of competition in the space but for me it's an easy sale because it's been the selected software for that space in the federal government of Canada. It's performing how it is. And I think the more they come out with new versions, they're closing those gaps on anything that does exist.
              Systems Analyst at Daktroniks
              Helps us track our flexible scrum teams, make sure we're fully staffed for project success

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for doing portfolio and project management. Our engineering group serves a lot of different markets. We have a live events market, we have commercial market, we have transportation market that we serve. There are all these different requests coming in and hitting engineering, and it really becomes a question of, "What's the most important thing for engineering to be working on?" We really needed a good way to prioritize that work and make it visible so that, not just our management, but also our engineering group can look at that and say, "Yes. This is the most… more »

• "We have flexible scrum teams, developers that will serve on one scrum team for a few sprints or for a project. Being able to track where people go with the resource management features, and making sure that our teams are fully staffed, is important."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the new UX, we've only been on the one version. That is the UX. We've never seen anything else. I just came out of the 15.3 session though, here at the CA World conference, so I'm curious to see what happens. I don't think we're on that version yet. I'll be curious to see what my organizational feedback is once that goes live. It's still pretty early, like I said, we've only been users for a month, but I would give it an eight out of 10 overall.
                IT Resource Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use our product for the following: * Time-tracking * Project and portfolio management * Resource management, which is part of the timekeeping.

• "It has been able to collect all the data, and in some ways, provide dashboards of aggregated data. ​"
                • "Being able to track all of the projects with all of the details of those projects, and being able to move projects along from a process perspective, that is really beneficial."
                • "One of the limitations would be mapping our current agile processes in the same tool set without obviously integrating to a different type of tool set within the same portfolio.​"

What other advice do I have?

From what I have seen, the new UX is pretty impressive, which meets that user-friendly, more adaptable, or agile, user-friendly solution. I believe firmly in process management, so from an organizational perspective understand your processes, then be able to look at this tool and know the full capabilities of the tool before you just install it. Sometimes companies will install a tool to handle the basics and not ever grow to its full process and tool alignment, which could be beneficial.
                Senior Director Project Delivery Office at McKesson
                We are able to track budgets, and with timesheets, actuals against budgets

What is our primary use case?

Project and portfolio management for our CA PPM. We have traditionally run all of our projects through waterfall, but now we are transitioning to agile. So, we are starting to use CA Agile Central for that, and we are looking at integrations between those two tools.

• "We are able to track budgets, and with timesheets, actuals against budgets."

What other advice do I have?

I think Agile Central is an industry leader in the agile methodology. I would look at it.
                  Senior Engineer at Northwestern Mutual
                  It makes the whole lifecycle of project management a lot easier than using legacy systems

What is our primary use case?

We manage projects, financials, labor actuals, timesheet entry, and cost plans for the entire company.

• "It makes the whole lifecycle of project management a lot easier than using the legacy systems, which we are retiring every few months because of PPM."
                  • "I love the fact that it is very flexible. I am the lead engineer with enhancements, development, developing new portlets, anything that has to be added on, and integrating data, such as ETL processing."
                  • "​CA Communities need a lot of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. I like PPM. I love the fact that it is very flexible. I am the lead engineer with enhancements, development, developing new portlets, anything that has to be added on, and integrating data, such as ETL processing.
                  Technology Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  Eliminates Excel in resource management but currently lacks mobile functionality

What is our primary use case?

We are working on the development for CA PPM, building a couple of portlets, a couple of objects for better usability for CA PPM users in our company. We try to provide automation of CA PPM and easy access, easy usability. Also, easy reporting for our users. It's really performed well. I personally started from CA PPM 7.5.3 to PPM 15.2. There has been great innovation regarding the development, regarding the technologies.

• "I want to see integration for SMS functionality."

What other advice do I have?

Moving ahead, I am looking forward to CA PPM mobile technologies, the mobile app for PPM users, that would also be a good addition to the user experience. The new UX is pretty cool. I would rate it about an eight out of 10. I joined in the demo for a couple of users for the new timesheet UI. They feel a little bit cool about it, and I have put one idea forward for the timesheet UI and that is with CA. But the new UI is pretty cool, and the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" approach for the approval or rejection of the timesheets is a pretty cool approach. I would say the criteria for investing in a…
                    Project Manager at Premier Health
                    Scalability is massive and awesome. Also, the new UX is very user-friendly and simple.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for our product is definitely the project management and portfolio management part of the tool, in that we have never really had anything like this before at our company. Previously, it was a lot of shoot from the hip, not a ton of follow-up on major projects, or at least proper follow-up. It has just been a way to prioritize for us, if adding project x, what does that do to projects a, b, and c at the front-end. We are still learning a lot with it. It is definitely a big culture change for our company in that we have never really had to do this before. I would say it is… more »

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this product. Just the capability of it is really blowing my mind so far. It is more than anything we have ever done. We have worked with Microsoft Project and used Excel spreadsheets in my department. So, this is just blowing our minds, everything that we can pull together, and how much more efficient it is. I am the backup for our project management office in that I assist our project manager, getting out and helping all our project managers, and everybody from IT. I am in our innovate office, which is basically, project management. Most important criteria when…
                    Manager IT Service Transition at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
                    We no longer have multiple systems to track time and status, risks and issues

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we're using it for * project management * status tracking * resource allocation tracking * and timesheets and resources for our project management team. And we're just starting to actually roll it out to our legal team. Yes, that is correct. Our legal team is actually going to use the Project Object in PPM for tracking their litigation cases. It has performed well.

What other advice do I have?

I have two words regarding the new UX: Love it. When evaluating other vendors, the most important thing is a lot of the professional services, because my organization is not inherently a technical organization. We are a restaurant company. We don't staff a lot of technical folks. So probably the number one priority is that technical professional services offered. I give the solution an eight out of 10 because I think the classic UX is a little bit clunky. Obviously the new UI is taking over. But also obviously, everything we can do in the classic UI cannot be done yet in the new UI. So we're…
                    PMO Principal at GAF Materials / Building Materials
                    Multiple valuable features include identifying resources by roles, managing by skill level, and assigning to projects

What is our primary use case?

We started looking for a tool to manage our resources, that was our primary driver. Resource capacity utilization, resource management. But of course, the other features that are available, portfolio management, project management, we definitely wanted to use those as well. So, primarily, resource management, but project management and portfolio management as well. It's an excellent tool for resource management. I really like the new interface, the user experience, which is coming out soon. Right now, it's something of a legacy format, and it's a little bit - I wouldn't say difficult to… more »

• "You can identify resources by roles."
                    • "A little bit better financial management. Right now it is more accountant-related, the financial management - of course, it's finance, it has to be financial. But it should be a little bit easier for project managers."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, it's very good. I wish it would come out faster, but I know that it has to be developed, tested, and rolled out. I like the way they're doing it in something like an Agile format, giving you some features and then gathering feedback and improving them, instead of trying to wait for a big bang, which I think might take couple years for them to finish. So, I like that. Could it be faster, is the only question. When selecting a vendor, when our company is looking at vendors, we develop the RFP, gather our requirements and it has multiple sections: * The financial stability…
                    IT Manager at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Scheduling, Gantt, and the task view give that full visibility to our team

What is our primary use case?

We are the support team that administers the PPM tool, currently addressing over 3,000 customers in 28 different business units. PPM is awesome. We do have an on-premise system and we use our developers that we partner with, both CA and one of the consulting agencies for them, to make sure that we're implementing things correctly and taking on things as they come.

• "Right now, it's the PPM piece of it, the scheduling, the Gantt, the task view."
                    • "We're looking at adding the Agile piece to it. I want to make sure that that integration is very smooth."

What other advice do I have?

We're excited about the new UX. We're actually going to do the 15.3 upgrade in 2018. When looking for a new vendor, our criteria include combining all the "asks" from our customers, but also with what we can manage. What's ready out of the box versus what we're going to have to customize. I'm a very big fan of CA's configurability. It's not necessarily something that is custom-built, but people can rearrange their filters, they can set up their criteria based on their needs. I give it a nine out of 10 right now. I'm not giving it a 10 because I have to see how the Agile piece works. Past life…
                    Clarity Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Displays all projects in one view where we can drill down into our portfolio

What is our primary use case?

Project and portfolio management. It's performing okay, I would say. There are no issues with the performance, but I think we are not using it at capacity.

What other advice do I have?

We are using version 14.3 but we would love to go to 15.3. We have seen the new UX and it's looking good so we think it is a positive change. I would say go with PPM with SaaS. I would suggest that any customers or new customers use Clarity PPM at its default values, not customize it terribly. It has a lot potential using the product out of the box rather than making your own product. CA has been working every year to provide a product upgrade, and if you can't use the latest features immediately, or in the near future, you are missing out on a lot. Use the regular settings, or at least most…
                    IT Project Coordinator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We can see how much we are allowed to spend, how much we have spent, and then how much is left over

What is our primary use case?

We use it for project-tracking, budgeting, and resource-tracking.

What other advice do I have?

I like the new UX. I think it is cool. We pretty much only use it for the time-tracking, which probably more companies do than not. The UX is super-simple, very user-friendly, colorful, and fun. So, I think it is really awesome, and we have received a lot of positive feedback from our time-trackers. It is something our company continues to use and likes to use. Otherwise, we would not be using it. It gets the job done, and it helps us get our jobs done.
                    Technological Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It helps a lot with the automation and manual processes to go faster

What is our primary use case?

We use CA PPM to handle our project and portfolio management, as well as time sheets for our resources.

What other advice do I have?

Know what your full use case will be before launching into something as big as CA PPM. It does a lot of things and it is great at doing a lot of things, but if you only need a small subset, maybe it is not right for you It does everything we need it to do. It could definitely be improved as far as speed and interoperability with other tools that we have in place.
                    Configurability, resource management, and centralized visibility are valuable components

What is our primary use case?

Managing the work of a federal agency. It's performed very well. We've expanded it quite a bit. There have, though, been a couple of issues.

What other advice do I have?

The factors that are important to us when selecting a vendor are * capability * integration points. I rate it an eight out of 10 because there are some pieces that are just not there that we would like to see. It's not like core type features that you'd expect in a product like this, the ones I talked about earlier, the financial stuff. I would say, take a very strong look at CA PPM, depending on if you have a couple of specific things that they were looking for.
                    Senior Business Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Provides an overall picture and drill-down, although needs more flexible data uploading

What is our primary use case?

We do project management and resource management in PPM and we use mainly that piece from it, right now. It's been performing well. There are some drawbacks, some features we can't really utilize considering our GAAP business process. So we face issues sometimes with that, that we can't fully utilize CA PPM resource management.

• "Provides an overall picture, it gives you the ability to store your capex, capital and expense budgets, on projects."
                    • "They need something so that if we, say, send some sheets to users, or for the scenario where not everybody has access to Clarity, but are part of planning; those people should be able to upload data directly to Clarity."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to selecting a vendor we're actually trying to not have more vendors, because CA is now providing the different utilities. We have another system - there are a lot systems that are integrated with our Clarity environment right now. I have heard about a lot of things which we did in past, buying products from another vendor, CA already has those utilities so we are looking at that. I haven't used any other products so I can't really compare with anything else, but I gave it a seven out of 10 because it's not customized per client. Sometimes we want to do something but we are stuck…
                    Administrator at AmerisourceBergen

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to format the PPM, provide the forecasting and utilization of research utilization, and determine future trends.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is using the Capacity Demand Model. We can use it to forecast and see the future trends for resource allocations and demands.

What needs improvement?

We are on-premise. I would like to see more features around the data warehouse analytics reporting. At the same time, I would like to see some more functionality on the UI side. They have the new user interface, but that new interface is only a portion of it. I would like to see that extended to other parts of the tool.

It is stable.

What do I think about the

Portfolio Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Project and Portfolio Management tools facilitate better visibility in our organization

What other advice do I have?

I think the important criteria when choosing a vendor are * reliability * innovation * the ability to listen to their customers. I think those are the key. Don't customize it right out of the gate. Understand its capabilities out-of-the-box.
                    CA PPM Architect / Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Helps ease resource management, resource forecasting and project management

• "This product is good for resource management and project management. I have managed detailed schedules with great success."
                    • "Reporting is not good as they keep on changing reporting environment."

What other advice do I have?

This product needs technical expertise. Purchasing the software is not sufficient and support is very important.
                    Senior Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    This application has good automation features to automate your offline/over the mail approvals and processes

• "Project Management features that are excellent in managing the Project Management Life-cycle, along with other related details like Financials, Resources and flexibility to customize, as per requirement."
                    • "The forms (e.g., project properties page) need to be more attractive, colorful, and field more flexibility for validations."

What other advice do I have?

Focus on correct licensing and integration with other applications like JIRA, Remedy, ServiceNow, SAP etc during the implementation. Also, this application has good automation features to automate your offline/over the mail approvals and processes. This can also be kept in mind during the designing part.
                    Advisor at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
                    It needs to connect better with other software so that we can simply drag items into it, though we're able to run our business more efficiently because the solution is cloud-based.​

What other advice do I have?

We got too much marketing and not enough of the actual product itself during the sales process. Pay attention to the product and not the marketing.
                    CIO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                    It has optimized the response times of my requirements and detected the control points of the process.

• "Demand, Resource, Project Portfolio Management, for my business consulting services, PMO services to other clients."
                    • "Look and feel of the user experience."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to start using the solution almost as it comes, something basic, simple, that it already provides. Then we develop small consultancies, configurations by functionalities, demand, projects, portfolios, resources, inventory of applications, services, products, etc., until arriving at a model of strategic government. Besides offering software development services, PMO, attention to demand of requirements, we are a CA Technologies Partner, for consulting services, consulting and strategy of governance, methodology, processes, as it is what we do with our clients.
                    Enterprise Portfolio Manager
                    The online database is transactional and we are able to get real-time data.

What other advice do I have?

Cost and speed are important factors when selecting a vendor. You should do your homework. Make sure that you understand what you're getting. This would be relevant for any solution. You should then talk to other companies or entities that are using this solution. We are not using the SaaS version of the product, i.e., our specific company is not using the latest version but we do have a global company that's using it.
                    Sr Project IT Leader - Project Management at Honeywell Aerospace
                    A single source to capture all IT project information. Easy access for global teams.

What other advice do I have?

I think we moved to it fairly quickly once we got going. I think it's easy to move to. It seems to offer a lot of advantages, tools, and functionality. Just try it out. The company has been around and the solution has been used for a while. It's been proven and tested. It's not something new. Just give it a try.
                    Director - Territory Manager at Netready CCA
                    The adoption rate has been quite easy for all our project managers and the head of the department.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely worth taking a good look at it. Don't be scared off by some people saying it's an expensive solution. You cannot compare a tool like this with some other tools that are out there in the market, or even open-source options. It's an unfair comparison. If you're looking for an enterprise-level solution, then CA PPM definitely is the best out there.
                    CA Clarity PPM consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    The scalability supports starting simple with continuous improvements and additional scope/complexity.

What other advice do I have?

Do not get overwhelmed by the solution’s options and capabilities. Start small with the areas which are the most important for your business and then grow continuously using the agile implementation approach.
                    Business Solution Expert (CA PPM) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Provides the ability for staff in the entire IT organization to track time against specific investments.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend to using CA Service for their expertise. Also, minimize the configuration as much as possible (stay out-of-the-box). Although PPM is highly configurable, getting to know how various functions work together in the tool is much more important than changing a label on a screen to meet a specific requirement!
                    Portfolio Management Office Jr at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
                    We can add attributes in new and existing pages from the administration section.

What other advice do I have?

* Try to understand the most important parts of the system and make a relationship between the different parts of the portal. * Try to engage in knowledge sharing, in order to boost fast learning and be more agile to use the system. * Have specialists for the technical parts and the configuration aspects. * Have other employees for the front-end functionalities.
                    Client Project Manager/Coordinator II at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    The Gantt chart is very well built and easy to use. Scheduling and resource allocations are very clunky at best.

What other advice do I have?

For many of the project creation and lifecycle functionalities, it is quite useful, but the overall user feel and agility is lacking. In the gaming industry, project lifecycles are very short compared to a standard PMP model (typically a 16-18 week cycle for larger projects and as few as two days on some of the smaller projects). Because there can be many changes to the project team, schedule, project scope and other factors, we needed a system that could be agile. While CA PPM has many tools and reports, being able to make changes quickly or being able to pull specific data out of the system…
                    Project Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    The valuable features are the capacity to plan and manage projects.

What other advice do I have?

I can say that it’s a product with high potential.
                    CA PPM Expert at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                    Lets you add and modify features without writing code.

What other advice do I have?

CA PPM is one of the best solutions in the PPM area, but it is quite expensive.
                    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                    Some of the valuable features include the resource planning views and the portfolio planning capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

Take the implementation as an opportunity to simplify your business processes and not simply to try to replicate existing processes into a new tool. The out-of-the-box functionality has a lot of power and capability and should be used wherever possible. If you do have a few critical, must-have processes, have them demonstrated before you commit to the tool. Be sure that they are real needs and not just legacy “that’s how we have always done it” items.
                    Senior Project Manager / Management Consultant at Edmonton Police Service
                    Video Review
                    We can look at whether we have enough resources and whether we're using them appropriately.

What other advice do I have?

Start slowly. Look at it from a module perspective. Do your resource utilization piece first. Go to project management. Go to portfolio management after that.
                    Technical Delivery Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    Video Review
                    The time tracking module enables me to see what everybody is doing and how they're allocating their time.

What other advice do I have?

I don't like to give anything a perfect score because I don't know enough about every aspect of it; however, from my experience, it's been a great tool.
                    Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    Video Review
                    Flexibility is the most significant feature that we take advantage of.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend going to CA World and talking to all the other companies that have implemented PPM solutions to see how they did it. One thing we definitely learned at a previous CA World, when we were doing our evaluation of PPM, everyone we spoke to had accolades about how they love the tool and what they are doing with it. Of course, when you hear all the stories of how they basically move from their legacy solutions to a PPM-based solution, you quickly realize that it can do everything you need to do, more and more. It's definitely met and exceeded all our expectations with regards…
                    IT Engineer & Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It offers detailed project planning, showing updated project status and the most useful KPIs.

What other advice do I have?

It seems obvious, but it’s strongly recommended to stay close to the standards and to use the OOTB functionalities (and to customize them if it’s the case), instead of implementing custom parallel functionalities. You will avoid future compatibility issues or complex product upgrade processes.
                    IT Governance & Performance Management Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                    It ensures a consistent approach to project management and approvals of the project gates.

What other advice do I have?

Get familiar with the out-of-the-box functionality. Even if you do not plan to roll out fully fledged resource management with time tracking, make sure you understand how the things work. If you decide to start with something "lighter" (that is what CA PPM integrators always suggest), you will be left dependent on the custom solution of that vendor.
                    Director Of Business Architecture at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It identifies the business value associated with the financial management of projects. I would like to integrate it with Jaspersoft.

What is most valuable?

The ability to identify business value associated with the financial management of projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Just the ability to capture the project scope and the cost associated with it. It adds to the business value.

What needs improvement?

Not sure which release we are in right now, but we're going to use the next release with Jaspersoft integration. I'd like to see their collaboration.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, I look for stability in partnership. For this price and for our use of the tool, this is an effective enterprise solution.
                    Application Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
                    We use it to prioritize what we need to focus on throughout the calendar year, and then correctly allocate qualified resources.

What other advice do I have?

You should really look at the tool itself because it's a really powerful tool. It can do a lot of things, cover a lot of ground quickly and it can easily be picked up, as far as skill sets go. I have rated it as such because of a lot of the project-related stuff it solves. Right now, we're just figuring out how to use the resources. Even though I didn’t really make the decision, the most important criteria for me when selecting vendors, in general, are knowledge; experience; willingness to walk the customer through their issues; really understanding what problems they have; and how they can…
                    Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    Tracks time related to resource management. Technical support response time could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the organization is ready for the solution. Sometimes it's a lot about process. The tool can't fix process issues. If the process isn’t built for the tool, it is not going to work correctly. Make sure you prepare the processes first, so they will be ready for it. We look for something sustainable. Sustainability is a very important value for the users and for our IT team, who are the people supporting it.
                    Senior Project Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    It enabled us to consolidate our list of tools. It would be great if they could keep building out Jaspersoft reporting.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to make sure that you understand the tool before you start fitting everyone or moving everyone to it. If you don't understand the architecture, it can cause a lot of rework in the future. Truly understanding the tools is important while having experts that understand the tools is critical.
                    IT Project Manager at Guardian life insurance
                    By using the Idea feature for project intake, all the required fields are populated at that time.

What other advice do I have?

To offer advice to colleagues researching this solution, I would need to know what they were looking for first, and then I could see what wasn't working for them. Nonetheless, (CA PPM) Clarity is a very robust tool and you can really do a lot with it. It has a lot of features and a lot of capabilities that we don’t even use yet. For our needs, it works.
                    Senior Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It lets us aggregate information about ideas and projects into reports we can share. Adding the ability to connect with other reporting engines is crucial.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you need all the functionality included in the PPM tool because it's very complete. That means it can also be very confusing. If you don't need this much functionality, look at something that's not quite as robust in the enterprise class. There are other tools that don't have all the features. They aren't as complete, but they are easier to use.
                    Director at Mckesson
                    We use it for resource and project management and for tracking time. I would like to see better dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

You should know that you can customize it to suit the way that you do business. Don’t think that you need to do everything all at once.
                    Manager Ppm at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    It helps validate our forecast for labor resources and milestones.

What other advice do I have?

Regardless of the solution you're looking for, always think about what your process is. Define those processes and have a clear understanding of your goal. Document that, clearly state it, and get buy-in from the key stakeholders, because they're going to be the individuals that are key to helping drive adoption downstream once those processes are built. It's not about the technology, it's about the process. In this case, I think the technology supports the processes that we want to invoke now and in the future. We're using it as an on-demand service. We're don’t have an on-premises install…
                    Sr. Member, Technical Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    We use it to integrate IT with our marketing, sales, operations, and other business areas.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not customizing it. It makes it much simpler that way and makes upgrades easier. It makes long-term maintenance much easier and allows you to use existing functionality.
                    Project Management IS Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    If you need it to do something, you can make it do that. It comes with reports out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to plan, plan, and plan. Just know what it is you want and then go for it.
                    Senior Manager Information Technology at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    We use it for time compliance and resource management. I have not given it a perfect rating because of the UI of the reporting in Jaspersoft.

What other advice do I have?

It takes time; it's not done overnight. It takes a year or two to implement.
                    Clarity PPM Developer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It's process driven and pushes our business users to follow that process.

What other advice do I have?

This product does a lot so it would depend on what you are doing. I would recommend to use this software. There are some improvements that the product can make in regards to the reporting solutions and data warehousing, It should also improve with the way the screens work. Currently, it is one of the best solutions out there and it has a lot of functionality. It could be better though. In my opinion, the most important criteria while selecting a vendor is how responsive the organization is to your needs and that plays a big part. I know a lot of people with this software who have their own…
                    Project Controls at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Consistent report delivery. I would like it to be compatible with other scheduling tools.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that the production requirements are detailed and thorough, so that the vendor can understand what is needed for successful implementation. We're not in production. We had gone to production, but we had to go back. There was difficulty in understanding our process and expectations from the start of the project to where we are now and that hasn't been realized.
                    Head of Portfolio Management, Capacity Planning & Delivery Effectiveness at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    Forecasting helps us manage resource capacity and understand availability overallocation.

What other advice do I have?

Think about your business processes along with the tool’s capability. The tool has a lot of capability but you need to make sure your business processes are aligned to leverage that capability in order to maximize it. The problem is leveraging the organization; it is hard to get people to adopt it. We need to shift some business processes so we can leverage it more. We have partnered with CA and they are doing what they need to do.
                    CA PPM (Clarity) Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    It increased communication between departments and data sharing, particularly with IT.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t overcustomize it. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. We would've been better off if we could go back in time, roll it out of the box again, and use it for a predetermined amount of time before determining what we needed to customize. We’re using the on-premise version.
                    Senior Programmer at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We use it to prioritize products or projects we need to focus on throughout the calendar year.

What other advice do I have?

They should look at the tool itself because it's a powerful tool. It can do a lot of things, cover a lot of ground quickly and it can easily be picked up as far as skill sets go. This tool solves a lot of the project-related issues. Right now, we're just figuring out how to use the resources.
                    PPM Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Our PPMO can apply proper SOX compliance. Reporting and performance improvements would help the users.

What other advice do I have?

Depending upon the environment you are in, whether you are on SaaS or on-premises, take the decision based on which environment your company wants to be in and not just get any product. Talk to other banks or any other customers who are in SaaS and have similar requirements. Based on that, make your decision. Since on-premises has some benefits and on the other hand even SaaS has its benefits, so based on that you can select your solution.
                    Senior Software Enginer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
                    Accurate financial statements, timesheets, and reports are essential.

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is your friend. Technical support is wonderful. They're very helpful. They're very knowledgeable; and they can get you through most anything unless, of course, it’s a bug. In this case, they have to report it to their people. I think the most important thing when you select a vendor is that it fits the business need. If the business isn't happy, it doesn't matter how much or how little you spend.
                    Senior Project Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We can quickly review all our projects together and collaborate. Navigating menus to find what you want is quite difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I think it will give you a good 360 view of your project once you can roll out the other features. If you can incorporate your resource management so you can then track what people are working on, as well as the project financials, I think there would be value in seeing that holistic view. If you're going choose that, make sure that you understand what you want to get out of the product. There's a lot to it and if you don't have a direction or strategy on how you want to use the product, I think you're not going to get the value out of your investment.
                    It's an integrated product. We can do project management, strategic management, and resource management.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. Make sure you understand what the business requirements are before deciding on a tool because a tool itself is just a tool.
                    Infrastructure Portfolio Manager/CA PPM Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
                    It has provided visibility to finances. Connectivity to other applications is limited.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good hard look at what you need as well as where you may see your product needing to be in five more years. Then take a look around you at the market and see where things are moving. Even if you are not going there now, it doesn't take much to turn on a dime. You might need that expanded capability package later.
                    Manager Systems Delivery at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
                    An integrated platform for project and resource management, we use it for sharing data and reporting. We are missing ways to drill down to skill sets per role.

What other advice do I have?

Understand how your business works, and know that the PPM tool can only do so much. You have to develop your processes to go along with the technology.
                    Clarity Architect and Functional Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    We track all projects in one place. This increases visibility, collaboration, and facilitates analysis of project plan changes on resource management.

What other advice do I have?

Save time. Manage your projects in Clarity and in CA PPM.
                    Strategy Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
                    The valuable features are the ability to manage our portfolio of products and initiatives. I would like it to be more customer-centric.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I want to know that that can support our scale. The size of the company, the ability for them to support us. Our large size is a burden for a lot of companies. I want to see their set-up process and their ability to support us, not only from a support standpoint, but from a feature standpoint as well. I want to know if the development team is nimble enough to adjust and be responsive to what we need. Are they going to fit our needs today and then tomorrow we have to go buy something else, because they can't keep up? That flexibility and size is important. Depending on…
                    Solution Architect at Excers
                    It identifies areas to improve; forecasts costs and effort; identifies demand, capacity, and risks; does annual planning.

What other advice do I have?

Take baby steps. Go with a crawl, walk, run approach. The organization will never be ready to adopt any change, so user adoption is critical. Get a feel for your change. It should come from senior management. At the end of the day, we should show what's the value to each and every individual. What's in it for me? Then, yes, we can implement PPM anywhere without any stress. Important things in picking a vendor are the support structure, and an orientation to reaching out and delivering value. CA Technologies always put the customer first and are factual, and deliver solutions that exceed…
                    Solutions Architect at Excers
                    It shows what people are working on and where we're spending money.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good solution. You get a lot of value out of it. If you're bringing it into an organization, the software is only part of the challenge. There are also the people and processes that you already have. Go in stages. Start with a step, and then take a bigger step. Don't try to do it all at once. Try to do a phased implementation.
                    Technology Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    I like the customization options. I would like to see OOTB portlets added.
                    Senior Solutions Consultant at Ericsson Global Limited
                    Provides access to all data in one tool. I would like to be able to connect it to an analytics tool.

What other advice do I have?

I have only one piece of advice before implementing this product: understand what you want to achieve with this tool. Otherwise, you will be clueless once it has been set up.
                    PMO - Logistics at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
                    We can now report projects to all stakeholders in the same format with good information.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend that you have your project and portfolio management process defined and look for a senior consultant expert in CA PPM.
                    CA PPM Consultant with 51-200 employees
                    They also offer this as SaaS, which is a cost-effective way to implement only as much as you can utilize by having only the initial implementation team use the initial functionality.

What other advice do I have?

In addition to the on-premise offering, CA offers this also as SaaS (on-demand). In my opinion, that allows a cost-effective way to implement only as much as you can utilize by having only the initial implementation team use the initial functionality. Then, if so desired, you can extend the functionality, number of users and move to on-premise. With on-demand, CA takes care of the system maintenance, but the user organization is responsible for the data maintenance. Some organizations think that when they hire an implementation with prior experience, the implementation is straightforward…
                    Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                    There are lots of reports available to use for management. Also, it is a customizable tool.

What other advice do I have?

People or companies looking for PPM tools can go for CA PPM as it is perfect for customizations and is user friendly. As usual, most of the products have pros and cons and this product also has some issues. By using a better team and knowledgeable people in your team you can make it fit perfectly.
                    Senior Program Manager IV at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
                    With everything in one place, running a report is real time and efficient.

What other advice do I have?

There are definite improvements that could be made but overall, this is the best project portfolio management system I have seen and evaluated out there. I have evaluated several before we choose CA PPM, but CA PPM does give us the best project management functionality and features.
                    Product Planning Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    The near-immediate benefit was having all projects in one place. It has allowed for standardisation of reporting and statuses, and improved visibility across the organisation.

What other advice do I have?

Two pieces of advice: * Make sure that you have clear and defined processes prior to implementation. * Insist on an experienced and knowledgeable SI from CA PPM. They are worth spending the money on, and their advice, particularly on best practices, is invaluable. There is a lot of potential for portfolio management functionality. However, integration functionality with other financial and resource management tools would go a long way, as it would allow for the input of the required information needed for portfolio management. For large(r) companies with established / preferred financial and…
                    Application Development Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Video Review
                    It serves as the sub-ledger for all IT labor. We rely on the stability of this application.

What other advice do I have?

I would put it right at a 7 to an 8/10, because I like what it is. It provides all the solution you need, the only takeaway, or coming off that 10 mark, is the user experience and the user interface. Forward looking to what the application is going to become by the time you go live and what you're going to do with it, not necessarily looking back and talking to users of long past, like myself, we have had it for a long time, but I try and keep my fingers on the pulse of what's coming.
                    Senior Technology Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    For us, its most valuable features are about resource management, resource assignment, and time tracking.

What other advice do I have?

You have to figure out your biggest need and pick the software based on it. A lot of times I think it's that one glamorous feature that people love that they want to go with, but I think you have to look across all the different requirements, weigh them, and take it from there.
                    Manager, Software and Support Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    The most valuable feature is work flow management.

What other advice do I have?

I would look at ROI and really try to assess what type of information is going to drive the success of your company. If PPM could assist in doing that by either reducing cycle times or giving you real data in order to drive the direction of your business, then go with PPM.
                    Quality Assurance at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We use Clarity data to track planned vs. actuals.

What other advice do I have?

You have to look at your own internal systems and processes and optimize them before you implement the tool, but PPM can do a lot of things. It’s a flexible tool. Just don’t use that flexibility too much.
                    Sr Developer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Video Review
                    I have seen it now run for a couple of months, and it has been a stable product once installed and configured.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend going right into Jaspersoft, which is part of the reporting feature of PPM, not to start out with Business Objects. Go right to Jaspersoft if you can.
                    Governance Administrator at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    It helps us track and see projected costs so that we can make decisions and prioritize what projects to take on. Once during a little upgrade we had some issues, but they were typical and resolved.

What other advice do I have?

I would love to see the company teach me more how to actually take advantage of the tool. Know your requirement before using something like this and how it would fit in at the company in terms of the company culture and process. This is one of our struggles – they have, for example, never had to track time.
                    Development Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We're able to allocate resources from various parties -- business analysts, developers, etc. -- as they work off a single platform.
                    IT Trainer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                    It gives us a view of where our project-management pain points are. If you're a basic user, the initial setup can be straightforward. But if you're exploiting it to the max, setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to buy it, you should understand its usage, and make sure you appreciate how to exploit it because it’s not cheap and you’d be wasting your money if you won’t exploit it. Some organizations underutilize it, and I ask people why they bought it if they don’t exploit it.
                    Senior Clarity PPM Consultant at Rego Consulting
                    The main benefit is the ability to forecast demand and balance it against capacity. It does a lot very well, but there’s always room for improvement.

What other advice do I have?

It provides the functions you need to do governance in the organization which makes it best in class, in my opinion. It does a lot very well, but there’s always room for improvement. If you hit 10/10, the competition is going to leapfrog you and you’re done. Talk to companies in their industry that are using PPM tools and find out what they like. If I’m in the banking industry looking for a PPM tool, I'd ask other banks.
                    Director, IT at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It provides us with a really granular, line-item overview of where we're at, pretty much almost real-time from expenditures. The UI needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's functionality is way up there at a grade of 9-8 out of 10. It's the industry leader in what you can do with it. The ability to get in and do that stuff, for people maybe with a lower technical aptitude than guys like us at these conferences, the user interface would make it a 4. Make sure you have a PMO in place that is a very strong center of knowledge for your project managers. Also, make sure you're providing solid training on the usage of the tool. If you elect to go with a more agile model where you're kind of doing away with PMO, then what happens is you lose that center of…
                    Senior Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We're able to leverage the data behind it to do more portfolio management. Combining the portfolio and project management aspects would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

The thing with software is it can do anything but you can't adopt anything. Know your audience, know your internal customers. Start small. Keep it simple. Get the blocking and tackling and the basics down pat. You will see change. You'll see lasting change but you've got to stick with basics and build upon them.
                    Lead project manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It gives us the combination of project management, portfolio management, and financial planning. However, there were bugs in the older version that were never fixed in the newer.

What other advice do I have?

I only recommend to use it the way it was designed and to minimize custom configurations.
                    Voice and Data Network Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It helps us track dates and deadlines, and makes sure we're within budget with project costs.

What other advice do I have?

Just buy it and use it as the tool and all its features are very, very good.
                    Senior Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We upgraded from a previous version, and the reporting feature has made that aspect of our work easier. I'd like to see, however, an improved user interface.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to understand your desired outcome. You get so involved with what you want, but be sure to have a roadmap and game plan with using PPM.
                    Director, PMO Project Management with 10,001+ employees
                    I think it’s great that it handles both small and large projects with equal power, but a problem we are seeing is the inability to get data out of the system and into Excel.

What other advice do I have?

We did not have a global solution and we needed one. This was something we needed internally and now we have it. You need to really understand what the business needs are going to be; this is essential. Also, I recommend going out and evaluating, both personally and from people in the industry.
                    Resource Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It allows us to collect all of the projects for which people want visibility across different lines of business, but we have not been overwhelmingly happy with tech support.

What other advice do I have?

We haven’t leveraged the full functionality of the solution. The tool is pretty great, and we have implemented some unusual things and not implemented some of other functionality that would enhance our use case. There are have been some challenges on the reporting side with maintenance, and that adds to our frustration when we go through upgrade after upgrade. The main thing is defining your requirements – don’t let the tool drive your requirements. Understand what your goals are, so you can track that and really get the value out of the tool. It would be smart to use the functionality that…
                    Director of Program Management at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It gives us visibility into all of the projects and programs people are working on, although there aren’t enough out-of-the-box, standard reports, at least not until v14.3.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a very robust tool and really does everything we need it to do as a PPM tool, but the reporting has held back its adopting, as has the user interface. People tend to find folks who use it because they’re forced to be compliant and not because it’s their tool of choice. Most obvious piece of advice is, don’t underestimate the effort in implementing a tool like this. Understand the maturity of the people in your organization relative to project management and discipline. The more mature they are, the easier it will be to sell. Make sure you’ve got the process down before you try to…
                    Manager of Contracts and External Programs at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It lets us get a holistic view of our projects, informing us of deficiencies. Enhancements to portfolio management would help us out.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a big robust application that does lots of things that we don’t use or need to use. Because it’s so configurable, in that way it is very complex. Reporting has been an issue for us, so what I would consider a fundamental report that links financials to actuals. Do due diligence around time entry and allocations because that’s really the engine that drives resource scheduling and management. In order to get the tool to work there has to be a lot of underlying data that have to be good. Getting resources to put in their allocations, getting resources to make sure their time sheets are…
                    Sr. Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    We're able to deploy it from one environment to another fairly easily, although it hangs every so often, so we need to be pretty diligent in keeping our eye on that.

What other advice do I have?

Overall it’s a very good, powerful product. It’s one of our two or three major products. It’s used by everyone, and it’s easy to customize. It’s fairly reliable once it’s deployed, it looks nice, the reports look nice, and it’s easy to move around. The only gripe I have is the install. With any solution, you need to be able to customize and tailor it. You need to modify and add your pipelines and any other custom attributes you need, fairly easily and fairly quickly. It needs to be able to deploy from one environment to another fairly easily, which the CA PPM solution does.
                    Program Management Coordinator & Quality Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It's helped us standardize across various operating procedures in our large company.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the support as that's important, not what's in situ. However, things like trend analysis and flexible reporting are missing, which are weaknesses. Take advantage of out-of-the-box functionalities. We made the mistake of doing a lot of customization when we set up 10 years ago, and it doesn’t play well with certain newer abilities or other output. So use as much out-of-the-box features that are already there as possible, as you never know what you want.
                    Director & Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                    It's helped us with holding the staff who use it accountable, though I'd like location tracking to see where employees are.

What other advice do I have?

Check other CA technologies, and see if you can integrate the technologies as they work well together.
                    Director IT Business Office at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    It allows me to ensure that IT meets their P&L objectives, stay within budget and reach earning targets. It would be nice, though, to have all configuration options at the partition level.

What other advice do I have?

Let your employees understand the benefits of CA PPM and show them how much it will help them to do their work. A tool should be used to make their lives easier and not treated as an annoyance.
                    ERP Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
                    It gives us complete visibility of resource allocation, but transitions, such as integration to existing portfolios, should be made easier.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan, plan. Make sure you understand your organizational needs and you know the process forward and backwards. The software is just a tool, if you do not understand what you're fixing, there is no way the software will help