Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Overview

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Container Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: Broadcom DX Application Performance Management vs AppDynamics

What is Broadcom DX Application Performance Management?

CA Application Performance Management (CA APM) is the solution global brands trust to proactively identify and resolve performance and availability issues across physical, virtual, cloud, and mobile applications. Patent-pending analytics provides expertise in the form of guided assisted triage workflows for in-depth, root-cause diagnostics across development and production applications, simplifying and speeding the time it takes to find and fix issues.

CA APM scales to your organization’s needs and automatically correlates multiple sources of data to help you sort through the data and act decisively, helping to improve user experience and application performance.

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management is also known as DX APM, CA APM, CA NetQoS Performance Center, Wily Introscope, CA Wily APM, CA App Experience Analytics, CA AXA.

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Customers

Lexmark, Intermountain Healthcare, National Australia Bank, BBVA Compass Bank, Innovapost, Dansk Supermarked Group, U.S. Cellular, Orange, Cetip

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Video

Broadcom DX Application Performance Management Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Mahendra Shetty
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 13, 2019
We can monitor how the application is connecting to the database and what queries are being requested

What is our primary use case?

It's for monitoring application performance and end user experience.

• "We receive good transactions from it with good graphs, as well, documenting the activities of total visitors on the site. We can pull the reports and provide them to the client, as required."
  • "Users no longer need to depend upon the console for a compatible Java version. Now, users can directly learn the version, perform all their actions, and see all of those performance-related issues."
  • "Our users lag how to identify the root cause with this solution. If they could come up with a more user-friendly version, that would be a good thing, since other vendors currently have better features and more user-friendly products than CA APM."
  • "As applications move to the cloud, we need more cloud-based solutions from CA APM. This is currently unavailable."

What other advice do I have?

Consider the compatibility first, then consider the resources required, finally consider the applications that you will be monitoring. Then, you can go deploy them. We used the Five-Pack when onboarding services. We also used SiteMinder and introduced synthetic monitoring, integrating with CA Spectrum and CA Service Desk. We use several CA applications. Everything is interconnected to get triggered and tickets routed to a particular thing automatically.
Shivakumar Gutte
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 2, 2019
Gives us the ability to check memory patterns, but the solution consumes a lot of memory

What is our primary use case?

We look at the load patterns and server health by looking at server health parameters. Heap memory is of prime importance as well as how the heap is behaving and how the memory is behaving under load, as well as the CPU utilization. These are generally the parameters we will check.

• "For me, the most valuable feature is being able to check memory patterns. We check them when we do load testing or soak testing to see if there are any memory leaks."
  • "A CA APM agent takes a lot of memory. That is one disadvantage. If you configure CA APM correctly it will still consume around 15 to 20 percent of memory."
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user334821
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 30, 2018
Reduced application downtime and the Root Cause Analysis has saved us time and effort

What other advice do I have?

You should only use a preferred partner of CA. Over the couple of years, since I first reviewed the product here, my rating of it hasn't changed. I still rate it at eight out of ten. I rated it eight because it is a good CEM experience but there is room for improvement with CA APM. It is it's quite tricky to implement because you need to have traffic monitoring, etc. in place. I have been using Dynatrace for the last nine months or so and I would rate it at nine out of ten.
Gyanesh Rahatekar
DevOps Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 25, 2018
There is no auto flow diagram, and the alert mechanism is not as good when compared to other tools.

What is our primary use case?

We are using CA APM for Layer 7 applications, like SQL, as well as application debugging.

What needs improvement?

Compared to other tools, it's not good.  First, there is no auto flow diagram. Second, the alert mechanism is not as good when compared to other tools. Third, there are many different folders, such as front end, back end, and BB queries, but it's very critical to centralize all the business connections. Fourth, there is an issue relative to the build all view.

Three to five years.

It's a very stable product.

There aren't issues related to CA APM's scalability.

How are customer

Enes Koc
Senior Engineer at Garanti Teknoloji
Dec 12, 2018
Has a user-defined transaction profiling, but it should enable you to see the usage and performance of all application dependencies

What is our primary use case?

Java-based enterprise application servers monitoring: for example, WebSphere Application Server, JBoss EAP, WebLogic.

How has it helped my organization?

User-defined transaction profiling Application topology discovery and visualization Application component deep dive.

What is most valuable?

It should enable you to see the usage and performance of all application dependencies like databases, web services, caching, etc.

What needs improvement?

Root cause detection Easy installation and configuration It should facilitate real user monitoring to see what your users are experiencing in real time.

More than five years.
Junaid Wahab
Systems Solution Analyst III at AmerisourceBergen
Sep 26, 2018
Provides a complete dashboard, tells us what's going on with our application, end to end

What is our primary use case?

Easily find bottleneck of our applications. We have a BSR (Business Services Reliability dashboard), so we can find out how our business is behaving, how we are getting the orders and how many errors we are getting. We find out how reliable our application is. It's performed very well.

What other advice do I have?

The important things for us when selecting a vendor are * how good is their product and * the reviews of that product. I would say try CA APM and tune it the way it is recommended by CA Admins and from configuration guide. You'll find a lot of people complain about it because they do not tune the APM Cluster as recommended, and the agent as well.
Anuranjan Kumar
Technical Consultant at Grid Infocom Pvt Ltd
Jul 11, 2018
The product is customizable when it comes to setting up application monitoring

What is our primary use case?

This solution is an awesome monitoring tool for application monitoring, customized dashboards, and alerting. Many features are used, including its ability to dive into application data, the user experience, the application flow map, transaction traces, and the team center.

• "Some of its valuable features include transaction traces, dashboards, and metric grouping to see combined data."
  • "CA APM is very scalable and used in a clustered environment because it supports more than its technical capacity."
  • "Stability is one of the strongest attributes of CA APM. It is very stable on all platforms."
  • "CEM needs to be simplified, because it causes too many interruptions in our daily work."

What other advice do I have?

Its presence is needed in our cloud solutions. Other solutions have been present from early on, but we use this solution to focus on the cloud.
SeniorTe4977
Senior Technology Officer at BMO Financial
May 1, 2018
There is a primary layer of alerting or metrics monitoring put in place. The initial setup is complex.

What is our primary use case?

It is a first line of defense for application performance monitoring and management to understand the customer usage patterns. When we get any major incident or a production issue, we can isolate the area where there is a probable problem.

• "Now, we know we have a problem, because there is a primary layer of alerting or metrics monitoring put in place, that is the good part."
  • "Its profiling. The uniqueness instead of me looking at sampling data, I need to know the m-1 event that actually triggered my scenario where that m event caused a catastrophic event, like a ripple effect; I need to know that m-1. What triggered my major event means I need to understand the event that triggered it and before the cause of that event itself."
  • "The initial setup is complex."
Sahar Nir
Noc maneger with 11-50 employees
Apr 9, 2018
Helps me understand the customer experience, reduces the time to solve problems

What is our primary use case?

I'm checking customer experience, how they experience our website and how they use the systems inside the company. Customer experience, outside and inside. It performs okay.

• "I would like to see intelligence, deep intelligence or deep analytics."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are support and wide use of the product. Not that the product is there in one company or two companies, but worldwide. We want the company to invest money to improve it. So I'm looking for a product that is worldwide and used widely by customers. I give it an eight out of 10 because it does not include all the features that I mentioned above, like intelligence. Do a significant PoC, and in the PoC including something very difficult, not something light. See if in the most cases, the product is giving you the answers, and not just for the easy…
    Dharmendra-Singh
    Specialist Operations(Windows) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 26, 2018
    CEM helps in reporting on defective URLs, but overall the solution is very complex

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring application performance.

What other advice do I have?

Its complex to understand.
    it_user842940
    Project Lead for Monitoring
    Mar 26, 2018
    Monitoring of all internal business applications makes it easy to analyze unusual behavior

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring of our internal business applications completely, through all business processes.

• "Cross-VM transaction traces provide a complete "what happened where"."
    • "Proactive snapshots of transactions and all details of a transaction are saved in case of an error."
    • "Attribute decoration is a unique and very powerful feature. We can add meaningful meta information based on our internal demand."
    • "The following need improvement: 1) Integration of third-party content into app maps (e.g. data coming from beats/elastic platform). 2) Support of new application server technologies, time to adopt new versions of them. 3) Dashboarding capabilities (as with all other vendors). 4) Application architecture of the central Enterprise Manager should be developed into a cloud native architecture. 5) Mitigation of SPOF – PostgreSQL database, behind Team Center."
    • "We enountered stability issues. They were mitigated by performance tuning within infrastructure."
    it_user793983
    User with 501-1,000 employees
    User
    Feb 22, 2018
    It is helpful with the analysis of historical performance data, but performance monitoring needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

System incident analysis  Performance monitoring We run a very large OLTP system: Six IBM AIX 780 high-end applications and DB servers. Daily transaction amount 100,000,000 per day.

How has it helped my organization?

WAS GC monitoring enhanced our application performance and DB SQL performance. It is very useful and helpful with the analysis of historical performance data.

What is most valuable?

E2E monitoring DB web WAS monitoring App crash report User customizing report DB connection usage from WAS

What needs improvement?

System incident analysis Performance monitoring

Three to five years.
    Hui Wang
    Technical Service Owner for Monitoring at BCBS of NC
    Jan 22, 2018
    We are building a visibility dashboard so our engineers can designate which events are critical

• "The CA tools allow to me to get into detailed transactions for custom ranking, and be able to make predictions. It also gathers data. Some other tools may be good at one area, but not good overall, including the mainframe."
    • "It covers from mainframe, all the way to dotcom, for example. CA currently covers Amazon, Microsoft Azure, Office 365 monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the reputation is important. One of the things that we have been thinking is, how many of these dotcom vendors will exist three years from today? You see AppDynamics are acquired by Cisco, you've got other vendors. Almost every week, some of these companies disappear. CA has been here for a long time, and we think that's the reputation. We definitely want CA to exist, definitely three years from today, and think that's helped. The second area is the support. I think CA, has great people. On pricing, CA is very competitive. I think that's going to help in the long run…
      it_user778791
      Performance Engineer at Lowe's Companies
      Jan 22, 2018
      Has a random transaction trace which gives our customers the ability to look at how their transaction performs

• "It has a random transaction trace which gives our customers the ability to look at how their transaction performs."
      • "This application pulls data in 15 seconds. You can imagine the enormous amount of data which streams through."
      • "Documentation needs to be centralized."

What other advice do I have?

The tool itself is a great tool. I will recommend it to anyone that wants to use it.
      it_user778833
      Senior Enterprise Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Jan 11, 2018
      We monitor a lot of the performance via the application

What is our primary use case?

Mainly for the application performance, the Java agent, and metrics collection. It has performed well so far. Operationally, there are occasionally bugs in the agent, so we have to patch those or get those upgraded.

• "We are able to easily and quickly find some of the problems with the applications and coding, and some of the performance problems."
      • "We did the setup for a new datacenter, and that was pretty straightforward."
      • "The interface is getting a little old."

What other advice do I have?

CA APM does the best when I am looking at metrics and stuff. Some of the newer products are focused on data transaction tracing.
      ManagerSe046
      Manager Systems Application at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Jan 11, 2018
      We can monitor application performance, pain points and slowdowns, to focus fixing them

What is our primary use case?

We have an e-commerce application. It's more of a business-to-business model, and employees of most companies come to our websites to order product. The APM tool allows us to monitor performance of that application, where are the pain points, where are the slowdowns, to focus on where we can fix those. Product performance is awesome. It's covering all aspects of the application; good database metrics and internal application metrics. Just tons and tons of data.

• "The APM tool allows us to monitor performance of that application, where are the pain points, where are the slowdowns, to focus on where we can fix those."
      • "Product performance is awesome. It's covering all aspects of the application; good database metrics and internal application metrics. Just tons and tons of data."
      • "If there's something that you really need to get at that doesn't come out of the box, you can pretty easily put together some custom metrics and get those in place."
      • "One of the challenges is agent releases. So as we employ agents, they are done relatively manually. A little bit of automating of agent release would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * good support * a company that's been around for awhile. I give it a nine out of 10. It does pretty much everything we need it to do. It's just little things, fringe things, that need a slight upgrade, like configuration. It's getting better. I would say get your employees some training, get some help from CA to make sure you know what best practices are.
      SolutionEng112
      Solution Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Jan 7, 2018
      Our development cycle has improved as far as the turnaround time on fixes and improvements

What is our primary use case?

We are a solutions provider. Obviously, depending on the customer, we are monitoring applications. We have deployed to several customers and they have all found benefit in seeing how the application is performing, what components are performing worse, and where they can improve. DevOps is definitely a big play for us. They are seeing that benefit to having the APM product instrumenting their applications and getting that insight before it goes to production. It is working well.

• "For the most part, we run constantly without any issue at this point because of APM.​"
      • "Our development cycle has definitely improved as far as the turnaround time on fixes and improvements."
      • "The upcoming changes for the deployment process of the agent will help a lot, in that others have gotten to that point first.​"

What other advice do I have?

You need to really evaluate the data that you are getting and what is important to you. Where one product may do a really good job in providing visualizations and that sort of thing, are you really getting the level of depth that you need from your product? Just take the time to evaluate the quality of the data you are getting. I like to see the vendor who is committed to your success, primarily. That they have a solid product, which I think, for the most part, most do. Also, they understand that the need to stay with you throughout the process to make sure you are supported. I think CA has…
      it_user779142
      Senior Developer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      Jan 7, 2018
      The triage can find the root cause for pent up issues, but it should be easier to set up

What is our primary use case?

My use case is that we have system called "Systemwalker", so we are trying to collaborate that product with APM. We are trying to use the triage of the APM, and we are still evaluating that system. It is performing okay. We are waiting for the new release. They have not released that yet.

• "The triage can find the root cause for pent up issues."
      • "It should be easier to install or set everything up. ​"

What other advice do I have?

If people are looking for the solutions from a big company, maybe I would recommend the CA.
      it_user779271
      Technical Advisor at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jan 4, 2018
      Gives us the ability to know how our application is performing in real-time

What is our primary use case?

We use APM to monitor our production, our QUAIL Java environments, and our web framework environments. It is heavily utilized. It functions very well. We look forward to new features, because as technology grows we look to incorporate some of that newer technology in our monitoring solutions as well.

• "We make custom dashboards for our development areas so they can understand how busy traffic affects their application with traffic. They can see how traffic directly affects their application in positive or negative ways."
      • "Gives us the ability to know how our application is performing in real-time."
      • "Stability could actually be helped because it is a wrapper or an agent on our system. If we are having a bad day in production or if other resources are being utilized, then we will get get gaps in our monitoring system."
      • "Upgradability to it is a project instead of a patch. If it was actually an automated process to where it just fed updates to our product that would be great. Now, we have to spin up an effort to actually upgrade the solution."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10, only because I know the ins and outs of the application. I know its capabilities and strong points. I think it has room to improve. It could be that we have it configured in a way that is not advantageous. However, it is also upgradability to it is a project instead of a patch. If it was actually an automated process to where it just fed updates to our product that would be great. Now, we have to spin up an effort to actually upgrade the solution. I think cost of upgrading holds us back from getting to the latest and greatest, where if it was more patch…
      it_user778917
      Infrastructure Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jan 3, 2018
      It helps us prioritize application performance issues

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to monitor our critical applications. It performs pretty well. Right now, we use it to create dashboards and executive view dashboards, so our higher up managers can take a look and see where our application status stands. It creates transparency. We are satisfied with how it performs.

• "We use it to create dashboards and executive view dashboards, so our higher up managers can take a look and see where our application status stands."
      • "It helps us prioritize application performance issues. It has assisted triage where we can drill down and see where exactly the problem lies."
      • "We understand for APM, it has the ability to drill down and do the end-to-end monitoring that we are looking for."
      • "The upgrade was complex. The documentation could have been a little bit better, but other than that, it was okay.​"
      • "Technical support is slow to respond and also asks redundant questions."
      • "​Needs the ability to dynamically create dashboards. Right now, we do custom dashboards. Everything is created manually."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Understand what exactly you need to be monitored. For us, our biggest issue is making sure that our customer and our other critical applications are up and running 24/7. We understand for APM, it has the ability to drill down and do the end-to-end monitoring that we are looking for. Just understand what you are looking for. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: customer service. Making sure that they are responsive. If I call them, I want to get ahold of someone right away. Also, if it is too expensive, we are going to count them out.
      Delbert Larsen
      Senior Admin at Northwestern Mutual
      Dec 31, 2017
      Able to pull in and merge infrastructure and application data, however the tool is not where it needs to be

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring the application layer for the various application teams. In our organization, we have the centralized monitoring team, and we work with a whole bunch of other teams. The application is trying to help their products get to know their applications monitored to where they need to be. We have some people that know how to use the product fairly well, but only the older functionalities. Then, we have a lot of newer people that are using different monitoring tools. Some are okay and some do not really know a lot of the functionality, so we have been trying to help get better traction with… more »

• "Being able to pull in and merge the infrastructure and application data."
      • "In order for the tool to be successful, at least in our organization, it will need to have more self-serve features for implementation, instrumentation, and then modification of metric data from the APM."

What other advice do I have?

Depends on what they are implementing. If it is Java, I think it is a pretty good opportunity to use the product. If it is a .NET, it is not where it needs to be. At least, as far as my knowledge is. Make friends with your pre-sales guys. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Transparency, honesty, being open, and being helpful. I have had a pretty good relationship with our CA support folks and our account managers, personally. I would say that is a big help. And then being able to be flexible on negotiations for contract stuff because that will kill a deal faster than anything…
      it_user778545
      Senior IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Dec 14, 2017
      The visibility into customer systems is vital for us, gives us a lot of flexibility

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring of customer applications. It has performed well. I won't necessarily say better than other solutions, but there's more focus because of the customer applications. A good example for us is Hurricane Irma. We have service territory that was impacted and our executive dashboard for APM was up and everybody under the sun was watching that, and keying off of that, for issues that were popping up, because we were performing storm restoration.

• "The executive dashboard we created gives a lot of visibility. There's no working on something for a little bit before someone knows."
      • "If we see something that we need to change or monitor, we can get it scripted pretty quickly."
      • "The APM SQL feature doesn't perform like we would like it to. I know that's a new feature with 10.5, so it may be one of those things that gets a little better, but it should run faster."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor have to do with the issue that vendors say, "Yeah we can do this, yeah we can do that." I want to see examples of where you did that. And I want to understand how hard it is to get to that point. Because a lot of times, sure, they can do that, but it entails all of this work, or all of this customization and maintenance and, at the end of the day, it may be a huge issue to get to that point. I want more transparency. And if it is that that additional work, that may be okay, but we want to know about it ahead of time so we can plan for it…
      it_user779316
      Solution Architect at Wipro Technologies
      Dec 13, 2017
      Crash analytics specifies the code that should be checked

What is our primary use case?

The use case is for crash analytics. We want to know what went wrong, and what is the area in my code that I can improve on. In terms of performance, we are still evaluating it, but so far so good.

• "Crash analytics goes down to the level of code you need to check."
      • "Needs custom dashboards."

What other advice do I have?

When my company is investing in a vendor the criteria are * brand * reliability * scalability. I give it an eight out of 10 overall because I don't see custom dashboards. Plus, some of the stat analysis features that were explained are not that easy to use. Otherwise, it does what it's supposed to do. I would say go ahead and at least give it a try.
      it_user779274
      General Manager Help Desk
      Dec 13, 2017
      Streamlines monitoring multiple servers, applications, resources, and users

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple functions like monitoring applications, files, storage, and DBs. Performance is very good.

• "Enables me to monitor multiple servers, applications, resources, and users"

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a new vendor the important things for us are the product and the company's reputation. It's not a 10 out of 10 because the list of features we need. We're always looking forward. But it does cover most of what we need. We recommended this product to two other banks and both purchased it. We have also recommended it to several other banks.
        it_user140679
        Consultant at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Dec 5, 2017
        One of the Best Application Performance Management Tools in its Class.

What is our primary use case?

Primarily the product is used for monitoring the Business critical banking applications of my Organisation like Internet Banking etc.

• "The APM upgrade procedure is a bit complicated with compatibility issues which can emerge like between agents and EM/Collectors."

What other advice do I have?

It's a detailed product which suits maximum client requirements.
          it_user783090
          ICT Consultant, Experienced Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
          Dec 4, 2017
          Anybody can work with CA APM, because this solution is so flexible

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application performance management (APM).

What other advice do I have?

Anybody can work with the APM, because this solution is so flexible. Right now, it is the standard product for the application performance management RAR. There a lot concurrent solutions from different vendors. It is a really good, stable, flexible product, but there are no special features when I compare it with with the other solutions from the other vendors.
          it_user778608
          Server Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
          Nov 29, 2017
          Helps us know how the application behaves internally, drives application stability

What is our primary use case?

It's for application monitoring and it's extensively used for application performance management. It works very well and we can get to know how the application really behaves internally, and based on that we will to know who the culprit is and figure it out.

What other advice do I have?

I was using this product even before I started with my current organization. I feel it really helps in the application strength, from an analysis perspective. In application performance, it's the best one in the market. Go for it.
          it_user382854
          IT Senior Manager Online Services at Produban
          Nov 27, 2017
          We use it to discover and monitor user performance behavior

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for application performance monitoring. We have about 2000 applications and mobile applications. We are even using it for applications in the cloud now. So, we are pretty happy with the product.

What other advice do I have?

It is very useful for us. We are using a lot of their metrics and their features.
          it_user776838
          Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
          Nov 23, 2017
          It alerts to application performance dips. When restoring historical data, we reached certain limitations.

What is our primary use case?

It is a monitoring tool used for business intelligence.

What is most valuable?

It is highly-customizable.

How has it helped my organization?

It alerts to application performance dips.

It has been used extensively in KPN's environment since 2013.

It is very stable.

Scalability is very good, because you can choose different amounts of agents. When we were trying to restore historical data, we have reached certain limitations, which have restricted our historical view from being resized. Also, it change the data from one year into 200 days, historically.

How are customer service and technical

it_user776670
          General Manager Sales at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
          Nov 22, 2017
          Provides root cause analysis in real time along with user experience management

What is our primary use case?

I have tested Applicare on Java Applications and it performed exceptionally well.
          Anuranjan Kumar
          Technical Consultant at Grid Infocom Pvt Ltd
          Nov 2, 2017
          ​It has helped us to showcase business use cases better to our clients during demos or PoCs

What is most valuable?

There are a number of valuable features for us: Dashboard Implementation of tool CEM TIM Alerts Actions Reports Triage maps Transaction tracers Team center EP Agent Management modules PostgreSQL backup

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to showcase business use cases better to our clients during demos or PoCs.

What needs improvement?

Application performance in terms of transactions is a bit slow and could be quicker.

I have been using it for a year.

There have been no issues with our deployments.

We have had no issues with the stability.

What do I think about the scalability of

it_user349068
          Sr. Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Oct 30, 2017
          Deep-process instrumentation helps us understand application process performance.

• "The deep-process instrumentation gave us an opportunity to understand application process performance in detail."

What other advice do I have?

CA APM is a good product and I would recommend it. It might be specific to our company, but adoption by the application development community was not easy. I would recommend a dedicated team of APM SEMs to champion the APM implementation effort.
            ITLeadere3b9
            IT Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 16, 2017
            CA APM (Wily) Aplication Performance Management Tool

• "The way these tools show the information is very useful. this is a tool that records information from Java and .NET applications, and obtain information about how many times an method has been call in a period of time (usually 30 sec), how many times respond in this span of time or is delayed or stall."
            • "We need more capabilities to analyze the information that tools collects; for example, using artificial intelligence, or something like that."

What other advice do I have?

Ensure use the tools to develop good instrumentation and to make the best use of its capabilities; for example, to define correlations and setting the levels when alarms must be sent.
            AnuranjanKumar
            Technical Consultant at Tech vendor
            Jul 9, 2017
            Some of the valuable features are transaction traces and the team center.

• "Dashboards need to be improved in order to make them self-explanatory."

What other advice do I have?

They need to come up with a SaaS solution. The current requirements are full of SaaS solutions.
              it_user674325
              Senior IT Consultant, System Engineer & Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
              Jul 5, 2017
              We can see how all the components are connected.

What other advice do I have?

CA APM is based on a solid solution that could be helpful for everybody. It has a technical view where you can check every single bit of information and a map view with all the components. On top of that, Experience View can help you to look at the health of your environment and quickly identify problems or performance issues.
              it_user546207
              Senior Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
              Jun 30, 2017
              The valuable features are detailed alert settings and tree-structure tracing. Deep dive analysis and performance need improvement.
              it_user349344
              Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
              Jun 30, 2017
              We can quickly assess hot spots and attack any issues, but migrations from one version to the next are always a battle and we have to involve architects and other consultants to help us with upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

It’s been a battle with upgrades, stability, and, to an extent, support. We also gain some from it – I will say it it’s been very helpful for us to identify issues but it could be better. The industry is evolving and there are pretty good cloud-based tools out there that offer me more than the current version of CA APM offers. Based on prior experience, we are dreading the upgrade to the next release. In a cloud environment, we don’t have to upgrade or manage servers.
              it_user350322
              Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
              Jun 30, 2017
              While it can find actual problems or issues with applications on our network, scaling it requires a lot of overhead -- a lot of central servers and enterprise managers.

What other advice do I have?

Both CA APM and AppDynamics have their place, but just do your research. CA, I think, has demonstrated their commitment to the product and improving it and playing catch-up in areas where they need to.
              it_user353007
              IT Consultant at a government with 501-1,000 employees
              Jun 30, 2017
              We use it for determining performance bottlenecks in our Java-based applications, providing us with performance metrics. We can't, however, perform a drill-down analysis into the actual code.
              it_user685344
              Principal Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              Jun 30, 2017
              Deep trace analysis is valuable because that's how we figure out where our problems are. It displays key system data easily.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that they don't underestimate the overwhelming amount of data that will come through and have their clients prepared for that. Because we end up spending a lot of time interpreting data for other people and really getting the users of the application involved is probably the most important thing in order to be successful. Then from a technical standpoint, just don't think for a second that you can skimp on some specifications because you will need all the resources you can get. It's awesome. But I think CAPM is a little behind, at least up to this point with the versions we're…
              it_user693843
              Consultant information technologies
              Jun 29, 2017
              Helps identify the root cause of problems before affecting the application or services.

What other advice do I have?

Being a leader in the market for more than 14 years is one reason it is the best choice.
              it_user685377
              Technical Delivery - Core Systems with 10,001+ employees
              Jun 29, 2017
              ​This product is great to show you how your business is doing and where improvements can be made

• "We are able to spot issues much quicker with the use of the out-of-the-box metrics given to us by CA. But we also develop that further with the use of the EPA Agent and expand what we can give and show the business by creating our own scripts. This has allowed us to develop our own self-monitoring and before anybody else sees the issue we are on hand to solve that as quickly as possible."

What other advice do I have?

The CA APM product is great to show you how your business is doing and where improvements can be made. We are using this in our SAP estate and SMART estate and, as said above, we are exploring how we can deliver this product to more areas around the business helping our company grow!
                it_user683430
                Consultor técnico at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                Jun 29, 2017
                ​It helps us find the cause and the errors in our application​ quickly.

What is most valuable?

The Webview because I can obtain more detail and CEM because I can quantify the business.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us find the cause and the errors in our application quickly.

What needs improvement?

Team center can give more information.

5 months.

When we made the upgrade to 10.3 we have some problems with the new version.

Is really good but sometimes the answer time is really slow.

The setup is easy. The problem begins when you need an specific installation.

What other advice do I have?

it_user393717
                Computer Technician at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                Jun 27, 2017
                Detection of errors that occur to users, measurement of response time and transaction traces are the most valuable features

• "Measurement of response time"
                • "The reports are a key part of APM in my vision because it is through them that we manage to generate the evidence to direct the development team and operational support to address. However, we can not extract the information of the tool through reports. We have needed several times to use screen print screen, CTRL + C and CTRL + V."

What other advice do I have?

APM only worked here in the company because CA's after sales is very present here and acted as a true partner for us. I strongly recommend having someone from CA “together forever”, because at the beginning it was very difficult to understand what the tool was reporting.
                it_user685305
                System Control Center at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                Jun 26, 2017
                I found the solution's end-to-end analysis and flexibility most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization can find the correct solution to an alert the first time around. This shortens the resolution time.

What is most valuable?

I found the solution's end-to-end analysis and flexibility most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Java Console uses too much memory.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support as "Good."

We used a different solution in the past. We switched because of this solution's end-to-end…
                ArnabMukhopadhyay
                Enterprise Architecture Leader with 5,001-10,000 employees
                Jun 12, 2017
                Helps the development team to fine-tune and proactively manage the application.

• "Helps the development team to fine-tune and proactively manage the application."

What other advice do I have?

They can surely give this try, but there are some other tools out there. When we implemented this back in 2009, there weren't that many competitors or vendors for APM. There were less nine years ago. There have been quite a few, like we have AppDynamics, you have Dynatrace, and they're pretty good tools too. I would suggest that they can do a proof of concept depending on what the requirements are. Some features are good in one product, but the other product has something else to offer. It's still a good product, but then they can always look at some other solutions too, before making the…
                  it_user674088
                  Senior Quality Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                  Jun 9, 2017
                  Provides a centralized point to start studying a problem.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product, but it has to fit their needs because it is mainly focused on JAVA/.NET applications, although it has agents for PHP and Node.js.
                  Luke Kabamba
                  Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                  May 10, 2017
                  The CEM allows us to see user errors and react to issues before they become problems.

• "Very often, we use tools such as Kibana or Jaspersoft for dashboards and reporting on CA APM data because CA APM’s old interfaces do not reflect well in modern displays, compared to those new tools."

What other advice do I have?

Have a dedicated monitoring team.
                    it_user610167
                    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                    May 10, 2017
                    Cross-platform business transaction tracing, custom triggers, and thresholds are some of the valuable features.

• "Cross-platform business transaction tracing supports the ability to monitor end-to-end performance across the stack, providing granular insight into customer experience KPIs, which are a critical success factor for organizations."
                    • "I would like them provide more guidance on specific tuning of monitoring options to avoid unacceptable overhead."

What other advice do I have?

* Make sure you sign up for the appropriate training * Ensure you have dedicated on-site resources to implement, build, and maintain the tooling * Make sure you extend training to the production support, developers, and business stakeholders * Develop a monitoring and alerting strategy, with a supporting roadmap and pipeline for deployment across business-critical systems. While out-of-the-box monitoring is relatively straightforward, the value comes from custom implementation of alerts and dashboards that focus on specific application functionality.
                    it_user647421
                    Senior System Engineer / System Operation Analyst 2 at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    May 7, 2017
                    Agent metrics and customization are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I have no specific advice except that it is a wise choice. Go for it.
                    it_user411417
                    Manager Information Technology at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    May 7, 2017
                    The traditional Introscope portion of the product is the most valuable feature. They removed support for Java 6.

What other advice do I have?

Do a thorough proof of concept. If your application is not current and can’t be upgraded, you are at risk because CA is moving very fast to catch up with Dynatrace and AppDynamics on functionality. But in the process, they will leave behind older technology, such as support for Java 6. I run an IBM WebSphere Commerce application, which uses Java 6, and I bumped up against several limitations. As my application is public facing and has a large breadth of URLs, it is difficult to configure for very specific URLs. Rather, I needed to implement “URL groups”, which are generalized URL buckets. In…
                    it_user259326
                    Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    May 3, 2017
                    Some of the valuable features are Experience View and Assisted Triage and Analysis Notebook.

What other advice do I have?

* Delivers an easy, proactive, intelligent, and collaborative (EPIC) solution * Helps to deliver a flawless user experience * Has end-to-end application monitoring coverage, i.e., from mobile to mainframe * Available in the SaaS version
                    it_user618126
                    Engineer Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                    Mar 2, 2017
                    We can review recorded sessions of UXE. Setup was easy and simple.

What is most valuable?

APM integration is the most valuable feature because of the possibility of mapped links breaking for web services with internal components.

How has it helped my organization?

We can review recorded sessions of UXE.

What needs improvement?

Mobile and virtual banking: The app transaction layer is mapped with the UX.

I have used this for three months during a PoC.

We did have stability problems.

We did have scalability problems.

As of right now, I have not used technical support.

We…
                    it_user598923
                    Services (APM) Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
                    Feb 22, 2017
                    Using Investigator, we can capture the in-depth transaction trace and error trace.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to advise everyone to try this solution. It is best APM solution in the market, as per my knowledge.
                    it_user598926
                    Integration And Development at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Feb 22, 2017
                    The alert capability is helping us to identify and react to issues before they happen and affect our services.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product and comes with great features.
                    it_user378384
                    Solution Architect EMS Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Feb 15, 2017
                    CEM helps us manage end-user response and reliability.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend adequate server sizing and capacity to avoid HTTP/HTTPS packet drops and performance issues.
                    Manish A. Parikh
                    ESM Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                    Feb 12, 2017
                    The deep dive feature has the ability to provide in-depth knowledge on the application code.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely encourage others to evaluate it first, see what works for them. It's not for everyone. It all depends on the size and what you're trying to accomplish. I would definitely encourage them to evaluate the product as much as they can and decide from there. It does a lot of good things. There are a few challenges. Mainly, I think it's the amount of knowledge that it provides to the application team; it's vast. I worked with two or three other products and I don't see them providing that much metric tools and information about that application the way APM does.
                    it_user510261
                    Services Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                    Feb 11, 2017
                    It assigns a monetary value to transactions, useful for understanding the amount of money being lost because of a problem.

• "With the new feature CA Team Center is much easier to view the information of my user experience, with this unified vision, it was even practical for lay users to use the tool"
                    • "The integration with CA Spectrum is quite difficult to create, and it is also only one way, only being used to view alarms coming from CA APM."

What other advice do I have?

During the implemetation, you must understand "where you are today". From that, you should think about "where you want to be" in a certain period of time, and what you have to do to get there. CA APM will help you get there, but you must first draw up your goal. This tool requires a certain maturity to deliver the expected results, so start with a less-complex enviroment, mature the use of the solution use and from there, add the more complex structures.
                    it_user599025
                    Sr Infrastructure Engineer Cloud Automation & Tools at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    Feb 1, 2017
                    It identifies issues, some while they are occurring and some proactively.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to implement the product and leverage all of the add-on free components. You should also compare it to other APMs in the market.
                    it_user572913
                    Principal Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Jan 30, 2017
                    You can feed your own metrics from external sources.

• "The insight it gives into the applications that it's actually applied to, and the flexibility to do many things with those metrics, and also feed your own metrics from external sources."
                    • "I think as we're all moving forward to automated deployments, it'd be nice to have that out-of-the-box with this product."

What other advice do I have?

My rating just reflects some of the features we'd like to see. I don't think I'd ever give anybody a perfect rating. There's always room for improvement, but my rating is definitely higher than any other competing products that I've used, against it.
                    it_user572871
                    Data Analyst at Frost Bank
                    Jan 27, 2017
                    We're currently using CA APM to detect the kind of traffic that our customers are dealing with.

What other advice do I have?

It takes care of our issues. Let's up that user interface; make it look a little bit better. It's better than anything else I've ever used out there.
                    it_user594660
                    IT Technical Integrator Level Iv at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Jan 26, 2017
                    Allows us to pull metric data from other monitoring tools. Dashboard tools need a significant update.

What other advice do I have?

Having expertise from CA to help you with implementing CA APM is essential. It is also essential to understand that deep-dive instrumentation can have a significant impact on an application and even enabling or disabling certain agent features can cause significant impact. It is critical to understand how to configure the agent, what to configure, and test out a configuration before deploying to production. Also, any updates to applications must be tested with the agent in place, before deploying to production. If there are issues, it’s important to know how to start tuning down the level of…
                    it_user578811
                    Application Support at a government with 501-1,000 employees
                    Jan 25, 2017
                    The Customer Experience Manager shows the real impact on the customers.

What other advice do I have?

You should create a user manual according to your system.
                    it_user583380
                    IT Lead Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Jan 25, 2017
                    WebView shows the dynamic status of the relevant environment.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the workstation and dashboards, and the newer WebView with CA APM Team Center, which shows dynamic status of the relevant environment.

How has it helped my organization?

CA APM gives us more transparency about our website environment and reduces time for root-cause analysis and minimizes service downtimes.

What needs improvement?

CA made a big step with version 10.1.0.15, so there are just very minor parts that can be improved with more web technology and more interfaces to other tools.

We have used CA APM since about 2010.

We did not have any stability problems.

We have not had…
                    it_user572895
                    Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Jan 19, 2017
                    It prevented a lot of downtime and a lot of outages with the Java side of the house.

What other advice do I have?

There's some deficiencies to their product. But again, they are being addressed, as CA's been very responsive to the customers. One of the most important things is they do listen to customers. If you have a major problem or major concern, CA try to address that. If that cannot be easily addressed, they try to lay it on the roadmap, and we've seen some stuff delivered that we requested in the past.
                    it_user575814
                    Senior Service Assurance Consultant at a tech services company
                    Jan 19, 2017
                    It gives precise insights about problems and leads us to the root cause.

What other advice do I have?

You should consider using CA APM even in the cloud. CA is focusing to deliver full APM stack in the cloud and not just on-premise. It is a complete solution.
                    it_user574353
                    Assistant Manager - IT Networking at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                    Jan 17, 2017
                    It helps us with infrastructure capacity planning. Pricing and licensing are straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It is the very best solution. It will surely enhance anyone’s application performance and resource utilization.
                    it_user136557
                    Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Jan 17, 2017
                    Agents can monitor Java and .NET applications out-of-the-box with limited configuration.

What other advice do I have?

CA is looking forward to minimizing the effort required by implementers to build custom dashboards as the Team Center feature is able to provide out-of-the-box dashboards that depict performance of applications through many perspectives, covering all of the different user needs.
                    it_user405561
                    Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Jan 15, 2017
                    Command center provides agent maintenance and support without involving the application team.

• "Command center is a new feature that provides agent maintenance and support without involving the application team. It saves lots of time for APM team."
                    • "The front-end representation should match other competitors such as AppDynamics."
                    it_user577533
                    Middleware Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                    Jan 11, 2017
                    The solution gives us the flexibility to create metrics and measure whatever we need.

What other advice do I have?

Decide what you want to monitor. Improve the DevOps culture in your company. You need to know your applications before monitoring them.
                    it_user576372
                    Senior Application Consultant (Project Manager) at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
                    Dec 28, 2016
                    The Customer Experience Manager displays business transaction defects.
                    it_user558219
                    Technical Advisor at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
                    Dec 28, 2016
                    The visualization takes you to the problem areas and root causes. The GUI feels archaic.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, accessibility is important. We've had issues in the past with some vendors who kind of disappear after they sell you a product. We like having a contact person who is readily available to guide you or refer you to somebody else who can help.
                    it_user558228
                    Software Developer / Technical Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 26, 2016
                    It provides transparency when there are problems within applications.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. The tools pretty much open up a lot of possibility. You need the manpower to take advantage of that, so make sure you have the right skill sets in place to do so.
                    it_user558288
                    Service / Resource Manager of Desktop Engineering at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 25, 2016
                    The agents are low-profile; there is not a whole lot of overhead with them. More automation is needed.

What other advice do I have?

Never be satisfied. Always ask for more, and always look for the next step. As long as the company's vision is really the future, then I think we're in good hands.
                    it_user558222
                    Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 15, 2016
                    We remediate issues with quicker turn around time. Our developers trust the information we provide them.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CA APM to anyone that's looking to triage any kind of application performance monitoring.
                    it_user558387
                    Director of Technical Projects, Client Services, FIS at FIS
                    Dec 8, 2016
                    Enables a proactive approach to identifying system issues.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting an APM product, I would suggest looking at the cost benefit. Find out if they are competitive with pricing, and if you are going to get return on your investment. I think I would just share some of the success that we've had already today, including, like I said, that shift of being reactive to proactive, and sharing some of the new advancements that are being made in the most recent releases that are going to make that experience even better.
                    it_user558354
                    Vice President, CTO Office - Global Enterprise Tools and Automation Lead at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    Dec 8, 2016
                    Fast identification of code problems. Prevents application failures. User experience needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the staff who runs, manages, and implements the tool with their customers or their partners has a middleware background or WebSphere experience. These individuals should understand how that all works, because that will shorten the learning curve. A person with these skills can really translate between the app team and the infrastructure. This can make adaption go a lot faster and gain the benefit and value faster.
                    it_user412728
                    Tech & App Mgmt Project Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Dec 1, 2016
                    We use it to find the root cause visually. Improvements to the visual aspects of reporting and faster analysis would help.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely need to understand the size of your environment. Try to get a plan together before you start implementing it. It is a big help because then it goes a lot smoother.
                    it_user424428
                    Team Lead Global Service Monitoring at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Sep 14, 2016
                    If something goes wrong, it plays the primary role in helping us perform root-cause analysis.

What other advice do I have?

It'll build your confidence in your application server or whatever application you're monitoring.
                    it_user104982
                    Business Solutions and Innovation at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                    Aug 19, 2016
                    We selected CA APM because it has a solid install base and is notorious for integration with other products

• "The ability to accomplish the identification of the root cause of problems with applications in drill-down level by integrating the suite with tools for managing and monitoring."
                    • "Improve the targeting interface is to make it more user-friendly and current."

What other advice do I have?

To have a proper result, consider: * Spend time to do a proper mapping of your business processes, interfaces, dependencies carried out and the support (IT). In certain situations we are faced with a fragile and inadequate monitoring which doesn't amount to any APM! * Any APM tool will not perform a miracle, it will only be an instrument with other existing tools, which should have processes and people behind them to reach the desired results. In our case, success occurred only when there was a fusion of interests and efforts of the areas of IT infrastructure and systems development. This is a…
                    it_user488841
                    Senior Consultant at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Aug 11, 2016
                    In an initial pilot it helps with Error Collection, Transaction Traces, and providing general info.

• "Service maturity when you can retrieve the normal metrics for every major aspect of each module and delivering this info to the correct eyes."
                    • "They need to add support for new frameworks, or at least provide a broader guide/perspectives to add them to monitoring specific agents to retrieve metrics with thresholds as a reference to guide the customer as to where they must go to achieve this."

What other advice do I have?

You need to check the requirements, such as the network ports, traffic forwarding, and the supported apps. Do not be afraid of the initial response from the stakeholders, and they will quickly become supporters.
                    it_user296508
                    Principal Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    Aug 11, 2016
                    Valuable features include: In-depth functionality, standard available reports and the dashboard.

• "Standard available reports provide us with an automatic insight into the top ten situations to watch. It would have been extremely difficult to program such a report ourselves, and to my knowledge no other competitor can match this functionality."
                    • "User interface - CA is moving towards HTML5, but still a lot is Java, old fashioned, non-customizable and not user friendly. It’s look and feel is still too technical."

What other advice do I have?

Plan before you act. Do not fall in the pitfall that you have extensive user requirements and try to implement this at once in the tooling. Start small and simple and gradually expand.
                    it_user489129
                    SR Server Support Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
                    Aug 11, 2016
                    It's possible to resolve problems faster because all of the features are connected.

What other advice do I have?

Get input from your different IT areas. Get help from your IT operations and, more importantly, get help from your business/production IT areas to map how critical it is to monitor applications and your transactions.
                    it_user472566
                    Infrastructure and Support Analyst at Suramericana
                    Jul 3, 2016
                    We appreciate the integration with service tools like SOI.
                    it_user305787
                    Tech Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    May 5, 2016
                    The feature we've found most valuable in our daily use of it is the deep-dive analysis of Java-class transactions performance. Many of the GUIs are quite clunky and dated.

What other advice do I have?

Keep the deployed agents up to date in a large organization. You’ll need mature automation and configuration processes and techniques.
                    Admin677
                    IT Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
                    May 5, 2016
                    It's a end-to-end software monitoring solution that uses an wide variety of technologies.

What other advice do I have?

First, deploy the agents and get to know the user interface concepts. Afterwards, try to find the root cause of your biggest performance issue and you will see that it is very simple.
                    it_user431130
                    Corporate Director Product Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Apr 28, 2016
                    It provides us with analysis of application performance problems. This allows us to find problems quickly so that we can resolve them before larger issues arise.

What other advice do I have?

Once you try it, you'll see that this product is easy to use.
                    SolutionEng112
                    Solution Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Apr 28, 2016
                    Dashboards that can be tailored to specific roles/users.

What other advice do I have?

Understanding your needs, and having a thorough plan and buy-in from stakeholders is essential. Additionally, utilize your CA partner, their knowledge and experience will fast-track being able to leverage your APM solution.
                    it_user431049
                    IT Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Apr 28, 2016
                    Most of our customers use the tool mainly for incident diagnostic and incident early detection.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to look for an experienced partner, have clear objectives and expectations of what they need, and take a time to obtain the most of the tool.
                    it_user274593
                    Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 20, 2016
                    We can see the frontend, backend, middleware transactions, and URLs all in a single dashboard.​

What other advice do I have?

You should just go for it.
                    it_user409089
                    Application Monitoring Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 20, 2016
                    The ability to deep dive into the root cause of any given issue has always been the most valuable feature. The feature that helps the most in the triage is the transaction trace component.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product but not quite perfect. My advice would to be make sure you have a champion on the user side. It is a hard sell in my opinion if you don’t have someone from the application support side that will help sell the tool. It doesn’t do anyone any good if you have a monitoring tool and no one uses it.
                    it_user405009
                    Applications Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 16, 2016
                    It offers proactive prevention of problems due to alerting and historical trend analysis.

What other advice do I have?

Involve not only operations, but also development teams in order to get the best possible visibility in your applications’ performance.
                    it_user402615
                    Sr. Software Systems Enginee at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 10, 2016
                    It gives us insight into the application performance so we can proactively take actions before the customer calls to report an issue.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to test as many application types as you can in your POC phase so you can work out issues early in your implementation. Also, make sure load tests are included in that testing.
                    it_user393552
                    Software Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 10, 2016
                    We can monitor several application in the same manner and same site. The historical metrics management needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

Historical metrics Transaction tracer Dashboards

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor several application in the same manner and same site.

What needs improvement?

Presentation Integrations Historical metrics management

We've been using it for nine years.

We sometimes have issues with deployment.

We sometimes have issues with stability,

We sometimes have issues depending on how many agents are involved.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 6/10

Which solution did I use

it_user401178
                    Principle Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 9, 2016
                    Its ability to deep dive into the application code is the most valuable feature for us. Continued improvements with the integration of the URL and the ability to use AWS would be great.

What other advice do I have?

If you purchase this product, work closely with their technical teams to help plan and deploy it. Make it as much of a repeatable process as possible.
                    it_user394263
                    Sr. Manager, Infrastructure Capability at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
                    Mar 1, 2016
                    The ability to quickly create alarms, actions, and dashboards is very valuable to us.

What other advice do I have?

Have your team who will operate be actively involved in the implementation. Get your application and infrastructure teams actively engaged in utilizing it for troubleshooting and analysis.
                    it_user393717
                    Computer Technician at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 1, 2016
                    It allowed us to discover the root cause of speed issues we had in the systems that were difficult to diagnose.

What other advice do I have?

Prepare a team to manage this tool, as if you don't have a full team to review the APM data, it will not work as it should.
                    it_user383772
                    Software Reliability Manager at Orange
                    Feb 9, 2016
                    For me, the transaction trace functionality is the most valuable feature. I would like to see additions to the graphics of metrics.

• "An application is quite complicated in the environment of a software reliability engineer, because our applications are like a black box. Thanks to CA APM we are able to transform this black box to a gray box by using the transaction trace functionality services. For me it's the most valuable service of the solution."
                    • "The product displays some graphics and sometimes we want to have some different metrics in the same graphic but it doesn't display in the same scale, so it's quite complicated to see the metrics. If the product would be able to manage a double scale, it would be perfect."
                    it_user371829
                    APM Consultant with 10,001+ employees
                    Feb 4, 2016
                    The most valuable features for us are the triage map and the application overview tab.

What other advice do I have?

CA APM is a nice performance monitoring software, especially if an organization wants to monitor the end-to-end architecture of an application. It monitors the environment from mobile to mainframe. The user interface is prescriptive to understand the problems rapidly without any technical knowledge.
                    Randall Hinds
                    Program Manager - Enterprise Command Center at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Feb 2, 2016
                    It provides easy isolation of business transaction defects from CEM.
                    it_user46185
                    Lead Internet Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 10, 2015
                    ​We're primarily using it for production-system monitoring of application errors, slowness, things like that. However, it has too much out-of-the-box overhead that will impact your application.
                    it_user350334
                    Account Delivery Executive at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 8, 2015
                    We're able to go deep into the actual instances that are occurring. It would be nice to be able to go even deeper, down to the source code at the exceptions level.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at what you're using it for because it's not for every application.
                    it_user350313
                    Voice and Data Network Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 8, 2015
                    It allows us to analyze data and find problems that may affect delivery to our clients, although the individual components could work better together to provide more accurate predictive analyses.

What other advice do I have?

I have a certification background and have come to realize that nothing is perfect. But you should just buy it and use it as the tool is very, very good.
                    it_user350181
                    Principle Technical Specialist, Monitoring at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 8, 2015
                    It allows us to see the inside of the managed code application, taking our performance to a more mature level.

What other advice do I have?

The APM piece is really good for deep-dive. It is, as we like to say, the Cadillac of APMs. It does everything. It goes very deep and very wide. It does take dedication and you have to have some dedicated resources on-site. You have to be able to know it, and you have to be able to work with the developers in order to properly instrument it. It's not something that you can just throw out there and expect for it to work in an afternoon. You do have to learn the product. If you do, there are a lot of good rewards for it.
                    it_user350166
                    Senior Performance Test Analyst - Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 3, 2015
                    It improves our total customer experience and reduces our operational costs, though CA should marry it with the UIM technology.
                    it_user350106
                    Enterprise Network Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 3, 2015
                    The dashboard allows us to create customizable views that give us the overall status of network health. However, I want more customizable features that require less back-end configuration.

What other advice do I have?

Research the logistics of the implementation specific to your needs. See how other customers are using it, so go to them and find out about implementation and see how it works in real life.
                    it_user350007
                    Snr Devops engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Dec 3, 2015
                    There is little overhead, it has a very small footprint, and it doesn't affect the performance of the CPU.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that they should look at their options deeply.
                    it_user346296
                    Lead Technical Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 3, 2015
                    It helps us to troubleshoot or isolate issues faster, and we can then take the appropriate actions to resolve them. But, our main problem is with our ability to manage all the agents across the board.

What other advice do I have?

APM is quite nice, especially with the new features in version 10. It's quite an impressive solution, and you should give it a shot.
                    it_user349428
                    Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Dec 3, 2015
                    The most valuable features are performance monitoring and alerting. The documentation could better.

What other advice do I have?

CA is great to work with, but to use it, just learn the product suites and how they interact. Make sure you have a good layout and make sure you have everything you need.
                    it_user336336
                    Senior Software Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Nov 17, 2015
                    Our developers can quickly pinpoint any performance issues we might be having in production, although it doesn't come with support for collecting metrics via a REST endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

Plan for the involvement of your developers. This tool monitors your production applications, but only the developers know exactly what to monitor. Sure, the tool can give you metrics for method call, but somebody needs to give you a list of methods to monitor – you cannot monitor every single method! You will need input from the people who created the applications you want to monitor.
                    it_user331869
                    APM (Application Performance Management) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Oct 28, 2015
                    BRTM and differential analysis are helpful in monitoring and maintaining application performance, and while v10.x is improved, the implementation is a bit complex for a distributed environment.

What other advice do I have?

CA APM is a brand name. It is easy, proactive, intelligent and collaborative. All of these features leads every business transaction, it's a loyalty-building interaction.
                    it_user305787
                    Tech Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Sep 21, 2015
                    The introscope agents and CEM real business transaction monitoring provide us with insight into application and network performance.
                    it_user308169
                    Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Sep 20, 2015
                    Its single-window view of performance metrics, timeline, applications, alerts and heat maps provides a lot of data at quick glance, although the UI could use an update.
                    it_user304782
                    Middleware specialist at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
                    Sep 8, 2015
                    It complements WebView APM, our existing solution, and provides a faster way to diagnose environmental issues.
                    it_user232875
                    Performance Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                    Aug 19, 2015
                    Its alerting feature provides us with immediate notification of the resource that has gone down.

What other advice do I have?

For traditional technologies it’s the right tool, but for the latest technologies it might not be the right solution. I would tell them to consider all their options before deciding on CA APM, because the configuration, installation, and maintenance are time-consuming tasks. There seem to be a number of technology & support challenges with this tool.
                    it_user98442
                    Senior Application Consultant at Gateway Software Solutions Private Limited
                    Jul 27, 2015
                    We evaluated Dynatrace as well but choosing CA was a great choice because it's easy to deploy and is a stable solution.

What other advice do I have?

Use the product how it was designed to be used. It allows you to test your application in a QA setup before moving an app from test to production. And after moving the application to production it encounter the ongoing issues with application which are met when an application is used to it's highest use and you can modify your application until it becomes highly stable and you will be able to submit 100% availability reports for your application to your customers. It can give a good business aspect to your application with 24x7 monitoring of your application.
                    it_user179901
                    Director with 51-200 employees
                    Jul 22, 2015
                    Environment Profile agents, agent customization, and customer experience management plugins are valuable features that allow deep-dive analysis and customer-specific customization.
                    it_user245430
                    CEO/Systems Analyst at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                    May 28, 2015
                    I like the transaction tracer, tracer viewer and history event viewer.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it as it is very good.
                    it_user225678
                    Principle System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Apr 22, 2015
                    The Custom Instrumentation feature is very valuable.

What other advice do I have?

The architecture is very important, along with understanding your requirements.
                    it_user217221
                    Service Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 31, 2015
                    The transaction recording feature is valuable in understanding the paths our critical business transactions take within our IT environment.

What other advice do I have?

* You need strong architectural skills along with tool-set skills to implement such a tool * You need to focus on integration as without this, the value might not be as expected * Start it simple and then add more complex scenarios * Document and design the system according to requirements * It's easy to get carried away with all the features, so keep it simple to fit the business need * Make sure what metrics are required to be monitored is clearly defined. Do not just collect data for all the metrics * Make sure that RACI is clearly defined with various owners as this can easily slow down…
                    it_user216459
                    Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Mar 31, 2015
                    The dashboards are flexible and the quantity of metrics that can be captured is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

CA APM is a great product. I'm really happy that I'm using their technology. I hope to implement it for more customers. Once we provide the solution to our customers, they are very impressed since it provides them with a great deal of visibility. It saves a lot of money by increasing productivity.
                    it_user202653
                    Principal Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 17, 2015
                    Has allowed us to adjust many of our applications to perform better, thus reducing our need to install high-end servers.

What other advice do I have?

Keep on top of the amount of metrics that you are accumulating and make sure you have enough disk space to accommodate.
                    it_user205176
                    Lead CA Wily Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Mar 9, 2015
                    The pro-active alerting works really well. Any AMBER/RED status alerts are checked instantly by our 24/7 support teams.

What other advice do I have?

* Stay close to the vendor guidelines at all time * Don’t customise it too much * Always patch * Join the user community
                    it_user200523
                    Sr. APM Analyst at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Feb 26, 2015
                    We like the application graphs, dashboards and error snapshots.

What is most valuable?

Applications graphs Dashboards Error snapshots Ability to receive metrics from various ways

How has it helped my organization?

An example would be the error reports, which shows the services with the higher error percentage and which errors occurs most, to they can be easily spotted to improve the application performance.

What needs improvement?

The application's discovery/triage mapping.

I've used it for seven years in three different companies.

Had some performance problems with a few applications and had to disable some probes.

Yes, but due the product being installed on a VM environment without…
                    it_user174708
                    Security Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
                    Dec 31, 2014
                    Allowed us to comply with international security standards

What other advice do I have?

Need to build questionnaires to establish priorities in policies and resources which are going to be developed and applied to his company. CA has no template/questionnaire in place and this is additional custom job needed by vendor (plus additional cost in money and time)
                    it_user100344
                    Sr. Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Oct 7, 2014
                    Cultural issues prevent a product like this from making the impact it should have.

Valuable Features

When it was stable, Trending Reports and Response Time Distribution

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

Stability

Use of Solution

4 Years

Customer Service: Poor-fair Technical Support: Poor-fair

Straight forward for technically competent people.

ROI

Minimal

Other Solutions Considered

No, it was part of a Business Partner larger purchase.
                    it_user101430
                    Consultant with 51-200 employees
                    Sep 18, 2014
                    Great APM tool that provides visibility and application behaviour analytics with ease

What other advice do I have?

At the end of the day, you should be selecting an APM tool that best suits your organisations requirements when it comes to Performance and Availability Management. I would recommend CA APM because I have used it both for Support and as a Consultant and seen that when done well, you can get instant quick wins straight out of the box.
                    it_user147561
                    Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
                    Aug 22, 2014
                    We use CA APM to monitor real time customer experience & to correlate the performance degradation back to system events.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a IT initiative alone but a IT/Business partnership. This is not a IT Operational deployment alone either but a joint venture with the application developers as well. If these three parties collectively approach this tool then you will have proper ROI, else you will not realise the true potential and then it becomes a very expensive monitoring tool (which it is not - if you think it is a “monitoring” tool then you are looking at the wrong tool).
                    it_user147564
                    Senior Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Aug 21, 2014
                    Resolution of issues has become much easier due to the various metrics shown in Introscope.

Valuable Features:

Memory Leak in CA Wily Introscope

Improvements to My Organization:

Handling of Issues has become proactive rather that reactive, with Introscope flagging issues before they become a crisis.

Room for Improvement:

Product could be made more lean. POC for customers is troublesome.

Use of Solution:

I've used CA Wily Introscope and CEM for 5 years.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment for large scale systems is an issue with lot of add-ons/additional products required. For example add-ons for Oracle / Siebel / Peoplesoft, etc.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had any stability issues with CA APM.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had any scalability issues with CA APM.

Other Solutions Considered:

Yes. Other Products were evaluated. This product was found to be…
                    it_user138159
                    Sr Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                    Jul 3, 2014
                    I've been using CA APM for 5 years now. Transaction tracing is a very valuable feature for me and I haven't encountered any issues with deployment, stability or scalability of the solution. Their customer service and technical support are very good. We implementing with a vendor team and found their level of expertise to be excellent. CA APM helps in problem diagnosis and troubleshooting but it would be helpful if CA would extend functionality to non java apps.
                    it_user138156
                    System Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Jul 3, 2014
                    We use CA APM for performance testing, production pro-active monitoring and troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

Java agent monitoring for IBM Websphere JVMs.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps the developers with performance testing, production pro-active monitoring and troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

More monitoring capabilities and more flexible for setting up different monitoring alerts.

5 years

Yes. I had an issue when we were trying to deploy on Glassfish environment and WebSphere portal.

Yes, previous version APM infrastructure was not that stable. We have 5 collectors and collectors kept disconnecting from MOM, which caused false alert like JVM status.

What do I think about the scalability

it_user136641
                    Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                    Jul 3, 2014
                    We've reduced the number of incidents in production and when they occur the time to resolve them is reduced.

What other advice do I have?

Time is very important to allow the solution to mature, and you need people who know the entire application and the business to help those that will implement the solution.
                    it_user136665
                    Middleware Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
                    Jul 2, 2014
                    CA continues to build and improve how it works and how it integrates with other products.
                    I first started using APM when it was Wily. It was a game changer at that stage and hasn’t looked back. CA have continued to build and improve how it works and how it integrates with other products. APM should be utilised at all stages of an application lifecycle. It provides detailed insight of what is happening within the application, be it SQL response times to how many webcontainer threads are in use. Issues that arise are easily highlighted by APM and should be reviewed by the necessary support team within your company. The product is expensive in both monetary and footprint terms. In my opinion, a standard configuration requires 4 servers to run APM. So between licensing and hardware, the product is not cheap. Once you have the hardware provisioned, I found the…
                    it_user102693
                    APM Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                    Jun 24, 2014
                    Valuable featues include Transaction Tracing, Trace Views, and easy configuration/instrumentation

What other advice do I have?

I suggest using CA APM if you have some techie's on your team. For BA's and Managers, this tool will not satisfy their expectations. But for a person with a little bit of technical knowledge it is the best tool on the market to enhance application performance.
                    it_user136035
                    Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Jun 24, 2014
                    Part of our organization uses HP BAC Insight. We decided to switch to CA APM in part because of its better support.

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to the domain then I propose to start with a simple application in a SAAS approach.
                    it_user129648
                    IT Admin at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Jun 24, 2014
                    Helps minimize the time taken to troubleshoot issues and root cause analysis to avoid loss of business.

What other advice do I have?

It is great product with lots of features that help minimize the time taken to troubleshoot issues and root cause analysis to avoid loss of business.
                    it_user118809
                    Consultant with 51-200 employees
                    Jun 9, 2014
                    CA APM - diving into issues from the top
                    I have worked with CA APM for the last seven years. My first experience with the toolset was as a client. I am now a consultant. I have deployed and used CA APM across various industries. What I like about CA APM is the capability to adjust it to the organisation you're working with and gain maximum value. May it be an organisation concentrating on end-user experience, or another concentrating on deep level code analysis. The CEM-Introscope integration is often underestimated. The ability to quickly diagnose end-user and code level issues within CEM itself is a powerful feature. I have not come across this elsewhere. If there is an issue, from the one spot, you can tell: Who is affected? How badly are they affected? Is it user-end or application? Is it web-server or…
                    it_user108432
                    Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Apr 24, 2014
                    Valuable features include Transaction Trace Session, Query Historical Errors and Investigator's Dashboards

What other advice do I have?

If you are not an APM expert and have no hands of experience with any APM solution, I recommend having CA do the initial setup (or via an experience partner).
                    it_user98136
                    Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 19, 2014
                    Proactive monitoring capabilities, changing the way you think and act
                    I've found that APM is an excellent tool for giving companies pro-active monitoring and alerting capability. If used correctly it gives you the ability to get the jump on system / application issues based on performance thresholds. That 5-10 minute gap between identifying something is going wrong to something is wrong is critical for reducing impact to customers being either internal or external. It really takes a lot of in depth understanding of your applications to get the best out of this tool, something that many organisations don't have. On that note, this tool can give them that ability. It takes a lot to configure and what you get out of it is dependent on what you put in. Something that in-depth planning is definitely required.
                    it_user98121
                    IT Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                    Mar 19, 2014
                    CA APM is beneficial for incident and problem diagnosis.
                    We have CA APM running on a few of our major applications and it has allowed us to get more in depth understanding for these with incident and problem diagnosis. Without this we would be left going through logs and not being able to see real time events and behaviours of our applications. This has also allowed us to see performance issues after upgrades and focus on specific areas rather than looking across all components. The workstation interface is very user friendly and the abilty to create custom dashboards and alerts is great. CA APM is a tool that should be a must in current IT environment we live in.
                    it_user91113
                    Infrastructure Expert with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    Feb 19, 2014
                    Identifies the root causes of failures, detects problems not visible before, and notifies of deviations in IT behaviour
                    Before implementing CA APM, our monitoring environment involved almost a dozen disparate tools with events duplicated in different databases, no correlation of events and no identification of the root cause. There was also inconsistency in the information in the various tools about the IT asset, making it harder to diagnose and resolve problems. This resulted in high operational costs, slow access to applications for end users and instability and unavailability of IT services. We selected CA Technologies to consolidate the management of its IT infrastructure, replacing the various tools we used to date. To ensure a high quality implementation, we decided to partner with CA Services, which provided technical staff who speeded up the completion of the project. We also took advantage of the…
                    it_user4389
                    Owner with 51-200 employees
                    Feb 18, 2013
                    Worth the cost but needs powerful hardware to monitor hundreds of agents
                    Introscope is definitely an elegant tool for Application monitoring and diagnosing performance issues especially in the Java space. 'Worth the cost' depends on how much the company is willing to invest. Keep in mind that you do need powerful hardware if you plan to monitor with hundreds of agents, thus adding to the cost. Recently several new players in APM market have emerged - some of them actually appears to be somewhat successful, such as dynatrace, appdynamics etc. One thing I like about Introscope that I have not found in other tools, is the powerful EPAgent, which virtually lets you monitor anything. Get a couple of vendors to do POC on your environment, review the costs, present it to the management and see what happens.
                    it_user621
                    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    May 15, 2012
                    Excellent for APM, but it's bit more expensive than other products in market.

Valuable Features:

It will give us the vital solutions for all performance issues and for all J2EE and .Net applications.

Room for Improvement:

Cost- its very expensive and it's hard to spend that amount of money for CPU's core based licensing by small business organizations.

Other Advice:

You will get good customer support and consulting services. It's easy to maintain for large scale environments. It will give good results for testing, development, and all other folks.
                    Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!