Broadcom Network Flow Analysis OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Broadcom Network Flow Analysis?

CA Network Flow Analysis provides 100% visibility into the composition of network traffic across the enterprise, helping Network Administrators deliver optimal application performance and validating the impact of network infrastructure changes, resulting in returns on investment (ROI) of up to 150%.

Broadcom Network Flow Analysis was previously known as CA NetQoS Reporter Analyzer, CA NFA, CA Network Flow Analysis.

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Broadcom Network Flow Analysis Customers

Empowered, BCBST

Broadcom Network Flow Analysis Video

Archived Broadcom Network Flow Analysis Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user674355
SI Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
The custom report is the most valuable feature. I wish it had a user-Friendly dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The custom report is the most valuable feature. Because network flow analysis is a very common tool, I can easily find a free NFA tool through the internet. However, the only difference between them and this solution is how they present the data that they receive.

How has it helped my organization?

With daily reports, our customers can easily find out the utilization of their bandwidth, protocols, source IP and destination IP. Those elements are importance references for them to make a monitoring report.

What needs improvement?

I wish it had a user-friendly dashboard and not just a huge list of router/switch information.

We have used this solution for over a year.

Sometimes the custom report jammed in the MYSQL database. We had to ask support to help us clean the table.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support and rating of 5/10.

I have compared this solution to different tools.

The setup was pretty easy, like most NFA tools. There is no difference between them in this respect.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have basic knowledge about NetFlow. Otherwise, it will be a pain if the user encounters a defect.

it_user674085
IT Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We can add man filters by interface, port, host.

What is most valuable?

I have found three features to be most valuable: custom reporting, flow forensics, and traffic alerts by Trap SNMP.

Custom reporting – We can add filters by interface, port, and host.

Flow forensic – We can play with all fields-of-flow versions (Netflow v5 ,v9 . ipfix, sflow, etc.). We run quick reports to detect intrusions or traffic malware.

Traffic alerts by Trap SNMP - I can set 4 threshold types: utilization, rate, volume, and flow.

How has it helped my organization?

Like consultants, I deploy on many companies by region. In some companies, 100% growth is observed. For this to occur, there must be network traffic knowledge and action, especially among pertinent teams like: Network Management, System Management, Datacenter, Applications, and IT Security.

What needs improvement?

Enhanced support should be given with APIs that work to maintain collected information. Historically, there were tools that were very useful for this task. Unfortunately, they were discontinued.

I have used this solution for 7 years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support 9/10.

Many users do not have solutions like this one. They consider solutions more valuable if they are integrated with NMSs SNMP Fault managers like CA SPECTRUM.

Deployment was very quick and simple (done in a few hours), with required prerequisites.

This product may require a minimum device license. You should allow growth-in-basis with interfaces that collect traffic information.

For supporting flow-traffic monitoring, this product is the best option.

What other advice do I have?

Carefully consider what is necessary. See if the traffic is critical in its own links and in the provider's links, in order to have the best device points that send flow packets (resources Hw aprox 20% of box max).

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Infoblox, Huawei and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user685323
CCS at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
​All drill-down features and the utilization calendar chart. Quick way to find time period when the router interface is most utilized and to troubleshoot further by zooming into that period with a sma

What is most valuable?

All drill-down features and the utilization calendar chart. Quick way to find time period when the router interface is most utilized and to troubleshoot further by zooming into that period with a smaller level of resolution (1 minute) to find out which applications or/and users are generating the most traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

We can locate the source of network performance problems easier than before, so it saves a lot of time when troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

I can’t really say, as there are some areas that I haven’t used yet. For instance, always found that the graphs generated by “Capacity Planning” looked kind of odd and didn’t seem to be useful. I cannot comment on Growth Report, AS Numbers, Flow Forensics, Analysis, Site-to-Site, since I haven’t used these. Would like to try them out sometime, but the documentation is sparse and I wish there was a webinar explaining the use of these features.

The Harvester crashed a few times, but it wasn’t so often to make a big deal about it.

I can’t say, since I am just a user, not an administrator or planner.

Four on a scale of one to 10. If one is able to find it at all, the documentation is often no help. And there seems to be no technical assistance center (TAC) but rather a community with no guarantee that the solutions put forward there are correct.

No, we’ve been using this from the beginning.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I heard from colleagues that it was complicated. I do know that we asked if the VM for the standalone solution could be made available as an .ova file. I think the answer was no. I believe if this was possible, it would simplify the setup procedure.

I am not involved in this aspect.

I was not involved in evaluation. I believe at that time the other option was InfoVista.

What other advice do I have?

Despite the low level of support, I would still fully recommend this product, because even when not all the features are used, the advantage of having such a wealth of useful information about the network traffic in real time, together with such flexibility of its presentation, is undeniable. Other tools may boast of being able to integrate packet-inspection features like Wireshark etc., but this costs extra money and most customers either never need to use it or lack the knowledge of how to interpret this information, if they do.

it_user674358
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Helps to analyze traffic and helps organizations to take critical decisions related to network bandwidth.​

What is most valuable?

Anomaly Detector - This detects the anomaly flows in infra environment and makes job easy to analyze issue.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helped to analyze traffic and helped organization to take critical decisions related to network bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

Should increase capacity of harvester in handling more network interfaces.

3 Years

As Harvest can handle less number of interfaces which made us to use distributed setup which involved us more servers.

Simple and straightforward.

It is costly.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Should increase capacity of harvester in handling more network interfaces.

3 Years

Simple and straightforward.

It is costly.

What other advice do I have?

Prefer this product only If the scope of flow analysis is vast and for a limited scope I don’t prefer this product since the product licenses are very costly and its waste of money.