Broadcom Service Virtualization Overview

Broadcom Service Virtualization is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Service Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus Service Virtualization: Broadcom Service Virtualization vs Micro Focus Service Virtualization

What is Broadcom Service Virtualization?

CA Service Virtualization acts as a catalyst for DevOps by simulating constrained or unavailable systems across the software development lifecycle (SDLC). This allows developers, testers and performance teams to work in parallel to accelerate app delivery, as well as to “shift-left” the app testing to improve application quality. CA Service Virtualization was previously known as LISA, the product from the ITKO acquisition.

Broadcom Service Virtualization is also known as ITKO LISA, CA LISA, CA Service Virtualization .

Broadcom Service Virtualization Buyer's Guide

Download the Broadcom Service Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Broadcom Service Virtualization Customers

Union Bank, Swisscom, Autotrader, KPN, ING Bank, Best Buy, American Family Insurance, TESCO, Telefonica, Molina Healthcare, California DMV, Aktia, City Index, Con-way, DirecTV, GRU Airport, Liquidnet, NAB, Nordstrom, T-Mobile, TIM Brasil,

Broadcom Service Virtualization Video

Broadcom Service Virtualization Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Tstmgr0897
Test Manager - DevOps at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
Dec 13, 2018
The pricing is quite fair because it is a pretty comprehensive tool.

What needs improvement?

On the testing side of the functionality, there are a few things that are missing. For instance, a comparative report. But since it's open source, we can add the extension and we do this by ourselves.

Less than one year.

It is quite stable.

I would rate the tech support a nine out of ten. They need more knowledge about the connectivity to DevOps orchestration.

I think the pricing is quite fair because this solution provides a lot of functionalities, and is quite stable.
it_user797958
Director Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Feb 6, 2018
Ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments

• "The ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments, improving the productivity of our developers, and bringing products faster to market."
  • "It is definitely scalable."
  • "Needs some additional lightweight, portable elements."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely rate it as a nine. Simply because I think any product obviously has some inherent flaws in it. That is the reason why they are upgraded. It would be foolish to say it is a 10 right off the bat.
Learn what your peers think about Broadcom Service Virtualization. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ITQaMana1c44
Manager, Testing & Quality Assurance with 10,001+ employees
Jan 14, 2018
Reduces capacity limitation on mainframe, allows us to test the system even during peak usage

What is our primary use case?

Virtualizing mainframe systems. Reducing dependency on mainframe capacity and availability, which is a major roadblock for us right now. The virtualization is primarily performed by eliminating the back end mainframe system. So we can read out our API traffic to the virtualized system. Basically, we don't have to use the mainframe while our service is virtualized.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's important to us is * a relationship with the vendor * their response to us in a timely manner and * especially, their being established, having proven their solution with other clients. I give it an eight out of 10, based on our experience so far. Once we use it at full scale, we'll come to know if there are any more improvements or challenges that need to be addressed. I would tell colleagues to keep CA as the number one priority to research because they are the market leader and have the most experience, based on our research. I think they should be one of the…
it_user797925
Senior Staffing Engineer at Qualcomm Incorporated
Jan 11, 2018
Enables us to virtualize assets, move development forward and not wait for those services

• "We have been using it extensively for the shift left process and testing. It helps us to accelerate and virtualize services and assets that we don't have. It enables to test faster."
  • "We have had developers produce code later than we wanted to, but we've had some other stuff that was dependent on that. So what we were able to do was virtualize these assets and then go forward with our developer and not have to wait for these additional services to be available."
  • "We are able to quickly scale our requests. We have tested across thousands of requests. We have had no problems so far."
  • "​From a reporting perspective I think we would like to have a more user-friendly approach."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it pretty highly. It would be close to 10 out of 10 for how it helped solve our needs.
it_user797919
Solutions Architect at ProKarma
Jan 11, 2018
Allows manual testers to easily use the tool set, as well as hardcore devs or SDETs

• "You can have a lot of different people with different technologies use the tool, without any programming experience at all, all the way up to people who can program. And then, the more technical that you are, the more programming you have, the more you're able to customize the tool."
  • "It's got probably the greatest amount of features, in terms of different technologies that you can automate and virtualize, out of any of the solutions out there."
  • "I really want to see more of the "express" kind of model, where you get a little bit for free. I'd love to be able to see you be able to edit and author tests without having to be connected to a licensed server. And then, if you want to go and execute tests, then you go and connect to the server... I think it would unblock people to be able to do a lot more work from home or from remote places, where they can't really connect to the server."

What other advice do I have?

I give it between an eight and a nine out of 10. I don't ever really give 10s, because I always think that things can be improved, so it's a great product.
it_user779277
Senior Product Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 10, 2018
Unit testing or early life testing does not have to be stopped or delayed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for service virtualization. It is performing well.

• "The innovation is amazing. CA has continued to add to services that it supports, the transports that it supports, and has built all of the enterprise capabilities into the product as well."
  • "Unit testing or early life testing did not have to be stopped or delayed because those services were not available."
  • "We had a number of back-end services that were not available during testing times. What this had allowed us to do is get our early life testing done while those services are not available."
  • "We had to implement an external service catalog. We put it in ServiceNow. I would like to see an integrated service catalog."

What other advice do I have?

You have to go check this tool out. The innovation is amazing. CA has continued to add to services that it supports, the transports that it supports, and has built all of the enterprise capabilities into the product as well. Most important criteria when a selecting a vendor: service and support. Pricing is right up there, too.
it_user349413
Software Engineer at Cerner Corporation
Dec 14, 2017

What is our primary use case?

It helps us to remove barriers that we have with dependencies on services that we don't own, or services that don't even exist yet, or services that are junky. It helps us to shift left and do our development earlier without waiting on those dependencies to be available.

• "You can create virtual services from a live recording or convert raw traffic into request/response pairs."
  • "Helps us to remove barriers that we have with dependencies on services that we don't own, or services that don't even exist yet."
  • "DevTest is pretty massive. It's hard to tell what different parts of it can be used to do different things. They should modulize it more."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, because nothing is ever perfect, and there's definitely a learning curve to it. But if you put some time into it, it definitely helps you out.
it_user778797
System Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 11, 2017
It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility

What is our primary use case?

It is throughout the STLC, so we actually have rights from the PoC or idealization from testing, development, and even production support where someone would like to use it for certification, or a sandbox perspective.

• "Scalability has actually worked well and we are able to bring it to multiple environments."
  • "It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility."
  • "CA actually releases a new version every year. We had issues with the upgrade prior to the latest one."

What other advice do I have?

It does what it promises. I would definitely recommend to take a look at this solution, because of the ease of it.
it_user778749
Engineer Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 30, 2017
Supports multiple protocols, enables us to virtualize calls to third-party vendors and save

What is our primary use case?

We are into performance engineering. There are a lot of back-end systems that are sometimes unavailable, or there are a lot of various dependencies, and we're trying to get rid of those. That's one of the reasons we got into DevTest. And it's been helping us quite a bit now. We've been able to step out a lot of back-end systems. It's performed pretty well. There were a few hiccups, but we got in touch with the senior architects and they helped us out with fine tuning and, since then, it's been working out well.

• "The most valuable feature is that it supports so many protocols. We, being a large bank, have almost all the protocols, and it supports all of them, so that's one good thing."
  • "One major feature I would like to see is on the user administration part. Right now, anybody can access any of the folders and any of the projects."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, our criteria, what we are looking for are * easy to use tools * a good feature set * and then awesome support. I would say it's an eight out of 10. Eight because it has so much going on and there's a lot to learn, and there are a lot of things you can do with the tool. It requires quite a lot of learning effort. It's not plug and play. And a lot of customization has to go into it. I would advise going with DevTest, definitely. It would depend on what you are looking to get out of the tool. If it's some of the basic protocols like HTTP, HTTPS, you could actually do it…
it_user638730
Associate Test Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 24, 2017

What is most valuable?

Easy to understand ways of creating stubs.

How has it helped my organization?

Different execution methods of virtual services. Its easy implementation is really helpful when changing the behavior of virtual services.

What needs improvement?

More examples of portal-based virtualization.

One year.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10. Technical Support: 10 out of 10.

Simple and…
it_user572823
AVP Quality Assurance at GM Financial
Jul 13, 2017
We're able to simulate activity when third-party interfaces are not available to us.

• "CA Service Virtualization has helped us advance the development cycle when third-party interfaces are not available to us."
  • "I'd like to see more of the newer technologies included in there, looking mainly from a mobile perspective, possibly, so you can virtualize some of the aspects that we're going to be doing for mobile testing."

What other advice do I have?

For the service virtualization, especially, a lot of times, we are asked to stand up environments and those will take time; you have to purchase hardware and software. I think if they start looking to CA SV as a solution, we can stand it up rapidly and usually solve the situation in a short order of time, saving both green dollars and hours of setup, for the particular hardware database, whatever you're trying to setup. My rating reflects the flexibility that it gives, the easy deployment and the easy maintenance of it. It is probably one of the better tools on the market for virtualization…
it_user693234
Chief Product Officer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jun 29, 2017
100% flexibility by being able to change models. Technical support is excellent.

• "Ability to vary the responses very easily (randomize, pick-lists, etc.)."
  • "They can always work on usability and making simple things simple to do. This is true of every product that deals with complexity."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure development gets involved. It’s more valuable the earlier it’s used in a dev cycle.
it_user558240
Manager, Applications Development at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
May 23, 2017
We have created a training environment that allows our agents to work on the latest software changes.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend going down the path of service virtualization. The payback is almost immediate. When selecting a vendor, I look for reliability, honesty, and price. I don't look for the cheapest, but I look for the best value. What are they offering? What does it cost to get that? Can I get a return on investment from it?
it_user349494
Director of QA with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 15, 2017
The ability to simulate and virtualize components that we don’t currently have is invaluable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to look at the solution in detail, as it can fill a big gap in your testing. It, of course, does require tech knowledge to work, but for what it delivers, it’s worth it.
it_user528870
Test Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 31, 2017
It allows testing without depending on a fully available environment. The rework effort to update test cases is high.

What other advice do I have?

* High initial learning curve * Benefits in system testing through virtualization
it_user551499
Director, QA Practice at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 31, 2017
I use the VSI, VSM, and SOA testing features. It does not have a robust test management repository.
it_user521982
Senior Technology Manager - Digital Channel Technology at Wells Fargo
Mar 31, 2017
We can create end-to-end services without actual hardware. I hope to see improvements so that I don't need to depend upon a single instance of the server.
it_user516930
Software Test Lead Contract at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 31, 2017
It provides product validation flexibility in the SOA space.

What other advice do I have?

My personal opinion is that the tool is really good as a service virtualization solution rather than a service testing tool.
it_user533106
Senior Test Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 16, 2017
It reduces dependencies on downstream applications. Scripts automate web services testing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product for clients who are heavy on web services. This product is very easy to learn, implement, and configure.
it_user560256
IT Admin at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 8, 2017
We have automated the testing in the Dev and QM spaces.

What other advice do I have?

You should try to do a PoC and then go through different use cases in order to understand where exactly this tool is applicable in your enterprise.
it_user570960
Lisa Virtualization Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 8, 2017
Descriptions of the components pop up when the mouse hovers over them.

What other advice do I have?

It a great tool for simulating the service.
it_user104979
QA Lead at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 8, 2017
CA LISA is very helpful in replacing the prod back-end with stub responses which can help in testing cycle.

What other advice do I have?

Over the past 3 years which I've been using it, I've found it to be a good solution. Only drawback is price, setup & maintenance.
it_user570957
SME Subject Matter Expert at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 19, 2017
The web service harness is valuable. Enables us to stub services we rely on.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand the potential of the solution and that it will take time to make it work.
Rishabh Mittal
Senior Software Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2017
We can view the flow in the model. It has enabled us to give client demos even when environments are not available.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to use CA Service Virtualization for all their virtualization needs as it is easy to use and the support provided via the CA Communities is also great.
Jayanthi Singh
Senior Engineer at American Express
Jan 15, 2017
In addition to RESTful calls, it provides a range of other virtualization options.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the number one criteria while selecting a vendor are the features of the product. The next factor involved is how other clients are making use of it because we cannot afford to spend time to find out new features or bugs in the tool. So, these are really important factors and I would like to make sure it fits our needs. Creating a virtual service is a matter of ten minutes. It depends on the complexity of the service, like the mainframe virtualization such as CICS or database virtualization, where there are some agents involved that take a day or two. It is simple. The only thing is…
it_user558456
Test Automation Architect at American family insurance
Jan 15, 2017
Functional testing created for web services can be leveraged for performance testing as well.

What other advice do I have?

This is for those who are looking for tools where they would really like to leverage the service installation piece. One tool doing service installation. One tool carrying out performance testing. One tool carrying out functional testing. And if they want to not write performance testing specifically and instead leverage the functional test, I think this would be a tool to be considered.
Satvinder Kaur
Software Development Engineer II at GM Financial
Jan 1, 2017
There are fewer constraints through the SDLC cycle. It expedites the test time.

What other advice do I have?

We are using this program, so I would try to use it the same way, This is not to advertise, but educate others. If you see any constraint in your testing or deployment, this solution can really help you in moving forward
it_user558258
IT Program Manager at Vectren
Dec 25, 2016
Developers are free to develop without waiting for others.

What other advice do I have?

Get your business partners on board. Do an ROI analysis where you can actually have concrete use cases to sell the value of the product.
it_user558006
Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 21, 2016
Allowed us to schedule testing into our agile iterations, and helped us by using marks and stops.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at the capabilities of your application initially. Everything depends on that. I can say that Service Virtualization really helps you to reduce time spent testing, and improves the quality in the agile process. If you are not using this, I advise you just have a look. Definitely you'll like it, and you'll implement it.
it_user558345
Enginer at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 20, 2016
It integrates with all of our solutions, which allows us to work globally across all of our teams.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, functionality and the user experience are the most important criteria. It has to be easy to use or people aren't going to use it. Be patient and understanding will come. It's new functionality and all tools work a little bit different.
it_user558267
Supervisor Applications Programming at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 20, 2016
Can create systems immediately, even when they are not available to us.

What other advice do I have?

We're getting into the lean and agile process and one of the problems we have is the testing and delivery time frame. We're looking to improve the overall quality of the product. The code helped the efficiency of our programmers in the overall process. I suggest just getting in and start using it. That is the best case scenario for us, to actually start proving the concept. When selecting a vendor, I would look at support, the functionality of the product, and how well it performs. I would suggest starting small, take it in small chunks, and just start using it.
it_user558087
IT Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Dec 16, 2016
Integrated solution for continuous testing and development. In terms of stability, I have to restart it every day.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try.
it_user558426
Advisor, App Development at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 15, 2016
Gives visibility into what features are getting released when. We would like more robust dependency management.

What other advice do I have?

Potential users need to clearly know what they want, how they want to implement it, and how they want to use it. Then, once they have clarity, they can figure out how they want to set up the solution and go from there.
it_user558483
CIO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 8, 2016
The solution helps us develop applications faster.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding which service virtualization vendor to go with, experience is the most important thing. Benchmark the tools, ask your peers, ask about people’s field experiences. I think that's what I'd do. From a business perspective, CA was a good deal.
it_user558564
Sr. Manager & System Architect, Abilities Lab at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 7, 2016
Allows us to focus on just the system under test. It's still very complex to use.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have a group that really learns and understands service virtualization well. You can then leverage them for any teams that want to implement SV.
it_user558429
Senior IT Manager - Service Virtualisation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 7, 2016
It introduces more flexibility, helps us cross-skill people, and brings in the DevOps mentality.

What other advice do I have?

Get the right level of buy-in from your organization. Understand how to get people to adopt it, rather than focusing on what it does because the "what", everybody gets. Everybody knows what it does and how it can benefit you. It's making sure you've understood your organization and how you've got to convince people to change and adopt it. It's a whole new journey on how to get new tools into a company. It could be SV. It could be anything. That was a big learning curve for us. We didn't get the right people on board to buy into it. It's just beating your head against the wall internally to try…
it_user558597
Senior VP at Citi
Dec 6, 2016
We carry out testing on the back-end, and create mocking and stopping for service virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others who are looking for a similar solution to go for this product. The main criteria while selecting a vendor is being a market leader who is number one in providing a solution for the problems/issues, which we are currently facing. That's the reason why we chose CA as they are market leaders for the product. The product is good but there is some improvement required such as an automated way for creating those features which we are awaiting in the next release.
it_user558651
Test Program Manager at Infosys
Dec 1, 2016
For our agile development projects, where most third-party interfaces are not available, we use this product for early testing.

What other advice do I have?

Not many people know that even in the development space, developers can utilize this solution to perform some of their unit testing, before they get into real interfaces. This awareness is not there in the market. We use this product in performance and functional testing, so probably even in unit testing the developers could use it. Thus, we would strongly recommend to explore this tool and its functionalities. The most important criteria while choosing a vendor is primarily its performance track record in the market and the range of solutions they provide across lifecycles. Another important…
it_user558318
Senior QA Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 1, 2016
DevTest supports multiple testing environments. You can configure it to use one testing environment or 20.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely read the documentation. The documentation is pretty good.
it_user511188
Programmer Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 6, 2016
It helped us start performance testing activities much earlier in the testing life cycle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution as it covers most of the transport and data protocols. The process of creating a virtual service is pretty straightforward and easy. The only drawback for this tool is its license cost.
it_user515856
Application Consultant - CA DevTest at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2016
It records and learns response patterns. We can build an exact copy of the web services.
it_user516042
SOA Test and Service Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2016
Virtual service models are described well. It supports a wide range of protocols.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend this tool.
it_user518724
Sr. DevOps Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2016
Web service and MQ virtualization helped us build a virtual development environment for continuous testing and continuous development of our product.

What other advice do I have?

Just go with it, if you don’t have constraints regarding price; it is the best. Otherwise, for simple virtual services, go for SoapUi Pro. Rule out the others.
it_user511368
Software Development Enginer in Test at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 26, 2016
It provides a quick and easy web service virtualization solution. The web portal seems to still be in beta.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for this product if its features are capable of meeting your requirements.
it_user211176
Innovation Chain Process Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sep 25, 2016
We can virtualize entire backend systems or chains.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a central maintenance team, a CoE, but let the users use it themselves. That way, you’ll get more value out of the investment. The product is easy to use and offers lots of functionalities. This product also supports the most protocols, compared to its competitors.
Kumar Gaurav Jain
Architect: Service Virtualization, DevOps and Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 8, 2016
Great tool & easy to use. Switched to CA Service Virtualization because it has better features compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

Virtual services

How has it helped my organization?

Efforts and time saving

What needs improvement?

Parsers, look and feel

5 years

I have not experienced any deployment issues

Very few but they were not blocker

Customer Service: 6/10 Technical Support: 7/10

We used rational integration tester. Switched because CA Service Virtualization (LISA) has some better features as compared to RIT.

It was simple

It was a joint…
it_user40593
Director of Quality Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jul 11, 2016
It allows us to function in an isolated manner by allowing us to duplicate or mimic systems.

What other advice do I have?

We initially started with a small proof of concept. For a product like this, that's what you would normally do. With that proof of concept being successful, we migrated to supporting an entire organization within the bank that I was working at at the time. We took that solution from there to actually doing an enterprise deal and now pushing it across the entire company. The product is obviously key. You want a product that meets the needs that you have. The other thing is the service that I get provided by those people that are coming in. Whether it's the sales or some of the pre-sales folks…
it_user378402
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 4, 2016
The most valuable feature, and really SV's main feature, is the versatility of available protocols that cover a very large number of cases. I wish the product had a built-in help function.

What other advice do I have?

Read the manuals and practice a lot.
it_user453096
Sr Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 3, 2016
This whole idea that you don't necessarily have to have a full end to end environment to get people functioning is important.

What other advice do I have?

Where I see Service Virtualization and Release Automation coupled is at the point of some type of environment testing. I'm going to be doing testing, so I'm either doing my testing in development, or I'm doing my testing in QA. Those are the most obviously common places we're going to be doing that. There's integration testing, but I don't necessarily have all the systems readily available to me for function up and running. Or sometime we literally might have an outage while they're updating the middleware call, so maybe it's important for offshore to be getting their testing done. The ability…
it_user406194
Sr. SDLC Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 17, 2016
I think the most valuable feature is the ability to quickly create simulations of APIs

What other advice do I have?

We really disconnected ourselves from the IT department. They run the infrastructure. It's then very stable and performant. Most of the administration is done by the engineering team itself, product engineering. This solution is very valuable in terms of being able to speed up. One of the primary capabilities was the ability to consume it by our teams. How hard is it to learn? How hard is it to set up? Of the three vendors in the evaluation, the CA Service Virtualization was the easiest license model and the easiest to stand up and configure. I've never really given anybody a 10 so I give them…
it_user388563
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 10, 2016
It's simplified the automation process for SOA testing, where the tool provides most of the testing feature in-built, and the time spent on script development for automation is reduced.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the best products for SOA testing, virtualization, and middleware.
it_user379734
QA Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 10, 2016
It helps in mocking up new functionality and virtualizing it. We found it hard to have a customized solution.​

What other advice do I have?

If you are using this for automation of web services, we found it hard to have a customized solution.
it_user367368
Sr. Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 7, 2016
It provides configuration settings to make connections to the DB and web services. UI testing could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product, but comes with a hefty cost. If there is a better licensing/cost negotiation, then it can work, otherwise it’s not a viable solution. Some of the in-house products can beat this with limited cost investment.
it_user378432
Senior Test Analyst at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 17, 2016
The web services protocol for SOAP requests and responses is the most valuable feature. The user guide should be updated to include more scenarios.

What other advice do I have?

QTP can achieve almost everything to do with scripting testing. Other tools like SoapUI/Jmeter being more popular become the obvious choice.
it_user378339
Test Automation Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 4, 2016
QA can start automating from the beginning and developers can do unit testing faster. Integration with Selenium and GUI testing needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for virtualization, but the price is high although we won’t regret it for this product.
it_user276375
Senior Test Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 2, 2016
I like the support to build modular test cases using reusable blocks.

What other advice do I have?

I believe this product will meet your expectations if you’re looking for automated testing solution for any of the supported technologies. It also offers other major functionalities such as CAI for transaction recording and automated generation of test cases and virtual services which we’re planning to use.
it_user378420
Automation/Service Virtualisation Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Feb 2, 2016
It provides us with the ability to replace real downstream systems with virtual systems.

What other advice do I have?

Think “outside the box” when you think about how this product can be used. Don’t just think it can emulate systems because it can do much, much more.
it_user378147
SOA Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 31, 2016
Virtualization reduces the dependency of third-party services/system and allows us shift-left testing.

What other advice do I have?

The CA community will help us with any difficulties with the implementation. You can find it https://communities.ca.com/places.
it_user328938
Software Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 20, 2016
We like that it can record live transactions, create virtual services, and use the request and response to create new virtual services for the back-ends that we don't have access to.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an 8/10. From a capabilities perspective it's there. Like I mentioned, the learning curve can be a little high. Usability in the prior version that we used, version 8.2, usability is not great. That's why I give it an eight. It requires a Thick Client, so we need to install that on the machine. It's not the most intuitive UI ever, so we'd like to see it improved a little bit from that perspective. I know that they're coming out with version 9, which is supposed to improve that quite a lot, so I'll be looking forward to that. What we start off with is that we had what we called…
it_user355620
Sr. IT Manager - Non-Prod Environments at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Dec 14, 2015
You can give an application service to whoever needs to use it. They make a request, get a response, and use the application without even knowing that it's not connected to a live backend system.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that you do a proof of concept. Get it in your shop and try it out. See what you like. Look at other tools and compare them. IBM has got I think a tool called Green Hat. Hit the big guys that sell software like that, and do proofs of concept to make your own decision. Use the web portal that allows you to develop services without actually buying the product. You can go in there and test it.
it_user355623
Environment Support Manager Non-Production Environment at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Dec 14, 2015
Our developers use it so that they can present a better product to QA. Sometimes by using it, we're able to implement something without even going to QA.
it_user350112
Mobile QE Tech Lead at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 11, 2015
It's given our organization a common deliverable and common strategies amongst various products. The user interface and usability of the tool could definitely be improved upon in the next release.

What other advice do I have?

I’d compare it to open-source solutions that already exists. Consider your organization before diving deep. For us, we are building up our maturity, and this solution is built to a higher standard.
it_user353790
Manager Application Development at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It looks to see what classes you're calling, and when the data comes through, you can analyze and play it. It does requires a higher level of support in order to make the right decisions.

What other advice do I have?

I guess to sum up, you will need to engage with CA to understand what the right virtualization is, to ensure that you're not wasting your time. I would say that you need to have good buy-in at the enterprise level, you need to have good buy-in at your director-plus level.
it_user351063
Senior Systems Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
We can emulate services to test against them instead of waiting on infrastructure. The automated generation of tests could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's better than I would've originally anticipated. Just understand there is a slight ramp-up, but once you get past that, the value is really there. I think, wow, we can do a lot of stuff, save a lot of time, and save a lot of money.
it_user350667
App Dev Manager at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
From a technical use perspective, it's given us the ability to test situations before they arise in production. I would like more online documentation and case studies made available.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points in documentation. I’m sure there’s a ton of stuff out there, but the out-of-the-box documentation is lacking.
it_user349413
Software Engineer at Cerner Corporation
Dec 10, 2015
It decreases a lot of bottlenecks when you’re stuck waiting on a downstream service to get done. Only rarely will the enterprise dashboard hang, but rebooting fixes the problem.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing can be perfect, but it’s definitely really close. The documentation is awesome, but tutorial-based instructions would be helpful. We had one of CA’s engineers come on site and work with us for one week and that sped up our use of it more efficiently.
it_user349302
Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 10, 2015
We’re able to continue development and push for service for our clients even when other aspects fail, although it needs a more stable client-side application.

What other advice do I have?

It’s provided value. We’ve been able to continue development even when we wouldn’t previously have been able to continue. There’s been a learning curve, some hiccups, and a challenge to train new people on the solution. There is some barrier to entry.
it_user346656
Quality Engineer @ Hybrid Integration Provider tribe at Swisscom (Switzerland) Ltd.
Dec 7, 2015
There is a range of different kinds of simulations that we can create, although integration of RAML files so that you can generate simulations directly from the specifications would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to implement something at the enterprise level, then this is an appropriate tool, not something that is open-source or free. Think about how it integrates with other solutions and the product’s reliability. Also, you’ll need professional support for such a solution.
it_user348210
QA Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 6, 2015
It provides us with cost savings on hardware and earlier defect identification. We did, however, have a complex Linux setup that was due to our internal security process.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, do what’s right for your organization. While the tools try to be one size fits all. They each do something better than the other and you have to pick one that fits your IT organization.
it_user345570
QA Automation Tech Lead at Nike
Dec 6, 2015
It can generate predefined responses to data so that we have a complete understanding as to how we’d perform, though it's a heavyweight tool for my personal needs.

What other advice do I have?

Jump in and play around with it, and you'll get it easily.
it_user174312
QA Director at Bridgetree
Aug 25, 2015
It allowed us to fill gaps with the middleware software for an ESB application, enabling the test teams to begin testing before the hardware and applications were fully ready.
it_user6813
Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 8, 2015
I've been using the product for over 5 years and especially like the VSE.

Valuable Features:

LISA VSE and Test Cases.

Improvements to My Organization:

Hybrid/Dynamic Representational Visualization Service.

Room for Improvement:

UI Testing and Reporting Features.

Use of Solution:

5+ Years
it_user227262
Automation Test Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 1, 2015
When we started using the solution we were able to deploy the application on our test environment without any dependencies or constraints.
it_user230391
Programmer Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 27, 2015
We use it to reduce our development cycle and test for defects in our product.

Valuable Features:

When we previously used CA SV we saw tremendous results, and went live with almost a 0% defect rate. We use it for Service Visualization and to run tests to validate our services response with the database.

Improvements to My Organization:

With CA SV it took 2.10 minutes as opposed to 210 minutes for a total validation per scenario. This reduced the development cycle time and provided a product with no defects from a QA perspective.

Room for Improvement:

Performance and cost.

Use of Solution:

I used it a year ago and recently started using it again.

Deployment Issues:

CA SV takes up lot of your system resources.
it_user227256
Test Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 22, 2015
Quick to set up virtual services which supports various protocols.
it_user226335
Test Automation Performance Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 21, 2015

What other advice do I have?

Very easy to learn and implement. Doesn't require extensive technical knowledge. Use virtual services instead of stubbed data.
it_user225759
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 20, 2015
Our testing teams were able to complete testing ahead of schedule.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped manual and performance testing teams to complete their testing ahead of schedule.

What needs improvement?

Reporting needs to be improved for both manual and performance testing.

I've been using it for 46 months, and am currently working on setting up an environment for v8.

There were a few issues during deployment because of missing jar files.

There were issues with the older versions, until v6.1.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Very good, 8/10. Technical…
it_user224853
Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 19, 2015
Has many built in filters which has helped us create better virtual services.

Valuable Features

Web service, MQ and IMS virtualization. The tool has many built in filters and assertions which helped us create better virtual services.

Improvements to My Organization

Due to the virtual services, the overall release cycle became shorter and it also saved us a lot of money.

Room for Improvement

IMS services in version 7.5.2 are quite unstable. Also, the Javascript step doesn't support all Java methods.

Use of Solution

6 months

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

We didn't find any issues with stability either.

Sometimes during load testing even though we have enough space on the server, CA SV is not able to handle higher loads. (We are still working on this issue. Root cause…
it_user224907
Senior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 17, 2015
I like how it only takes three steps to create the virtual service and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I'm looking forward to testing Devtest 8.0.2 and the new ideas. I've been impressed so far.
it_user122928
Service Virtualization Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 17, 2015
One of the main reasons we decided to go with CA SV was because of the various protocols supported.

What other advice do I have?

I'd like to see more features integrate with the CICD pipeline via APIs or command line etc. I'd also like better ocumentation on live scenarios with more examples etc. as mentioned earlier.
it_user122010
Industry Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 15, 2015
It's easy to script for protocols that CA SV doesn't provide out of the box because the solution provides various ways to do so.
it_user222276
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 13, 2015
We were looking for a way to have teams work simultaneous instead of needing to wait for each other.
it_user212238
Software Engineer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 23, 2015
We were looking for a way to quickly spin up training environments and reduced the time for each CI cycle.
it_user205152
Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 17, 2015
Has saved us time in terms of the amount of time it takes to test data setup infrastructure.

Valuable Features:

Ability to virtualize webservices, MQ, JDBC

Improvements to My Organization:

We have saved a lot in terms of the time it takes to test data setup infrastructure and turn around time for testing.

Room for Improvement:

As of today, none of the Microsoft technologies are supported.

Use of Solution:

2 Years

Customer Service is swift and tries to get to the bottom of the issue. Most issues are solved within two days.

Initial Setup:

Initial set up might be a bit complex, especially when you are going with an enterprise level setup. However it is a one time effort and is very smooth afterwords.
it_user142806
Automation QA Specialist at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 15, 2014
Good for middleware testing, not as much for front end testing.

What is most valuable?

Supports lots of middleware technologies. Good virtualization tool.

What needs improvement?

They can improve their front end testing features.

6+ years

We once faced issues when we moved from 4.2 to 4.7 or 5. They completely changed the UI and their is very little support for backward compatibility.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Good.

I like working with the CA Service Virtualization product, so I'll stick with it. Given a chance I would like to work on Parasoft and…
it_user112830
Performance Test Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 1, 2014
Helps to reduce the environment contention with other downstream testing teams.
it_user108438
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
May 1, 2014
We evaluated HP and CA but found HP to be behind in it's capability compared to CA Service Virtualization..

What other advice do I have?

Work closely with a CA partner in their Service Virtualization channel to get your in house resources ramped up on CA Service Virtualization. Expect this to take time and require investment in professional services, training and mentoring.
it_user104985
Solution Consultant at a reseller with 51-200 employees
Apr 23, 2014
If you need stubs for development/testing it's a great tool but make sure you have a solid business case before deciding

Valuable Features

The new version of LISA (6 and higher) has an auto generator for stubs based on WSDL, WADL, messages request-response pairs etc.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a reseller of this product so this isn't really relevant for me, but our customers use our stubs for deployment of their real production applications.

Use of Solution

3 years

Deployment of stubs has been improved in the latest version and has become very easy.

Customer Service: CA is a great company who deliver great service to their customers as well as to us as a Partner.Technical Support: CA has a great technical support team who really take control of a problem until it is solved.

Setup is not too complicated. You do…
it_user104976
Software Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Apr 22, 2014
We analyzed CA, HP & IBM service virtualization and found that CA LISA is more mature and suites our requirement best

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, try it out.
it_user104973
Technical Consultant at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 13, 2014
We used CA Service Virtualization to overcome performance, availability, and data constraints

What other advice do I have?

Without trying other products in the service virtualize space, I feel very comfortable working with this product. It does its job well, is not difficult to use and grasp, and the support is very good. I would definitely recommend this product!
it_user5154
User at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 22, 2013
Virtualize and Test, allow Dev teams to provide much higher quality code

Valuable Features:

Test - service layer component testing automation) Virtualize - the best mocking/stubbing tool I've ever seen, allows for easier data management

Room for Improvement:

With Service Virtualization being a newer concept and market, there is a lack of high quality/experienced resources available across the board for any of the tools (as of mid 2013)...with that said, a good developer can come up to speed fairly quickly with this tool.

Other Advice:

Can't wait to see the integration w/ Shunra, Nolio and Grid Tools in the near future!
it_user5877
CIO at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 11, 2013
Very easy to create virtual services for test/dev. Needs more integration into non-CA test suites.

Valuable Features:

Very easy to create virtual services for test, Dev and training environments. Allows service creation by recording transactions or by loading WSDL.

Room for Improvement:

Further integration into non-CA test suites will be beneficial.