Broadcom Service Virtualization OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Broadcom Service Virtualization is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Service Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus Service Virtualization: Broadcom Service Virtualization vs Micro Focus Service Virtualization

What is Broadcom Service Virtualization?

CA Service Virtualization acts as a catalyst for DevOps by simulating constrained or unavailable systems across the software development lifecycle (SDLC). This allows developers, testers and performance teams to work in parallel to accelerate app delivery, as well as to “shift-left” the app testing to improve application quality. CA Service Virtualization was previously known as LISA, the product from the ITKO acquisition.

Broadcom Service Virtualization is also known as ITKO LISA, CA LISA, CA Service Virtualization .

Download the Service Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Broadcom Service Virtualization Customers

Union Bank, Swisscom, Autotrader, KPN, ING Bank, Best Buy, American Family Insurance, TESCO, Telefonica, Molina Healthcare, California DMV, Aktia, City Index, Con-way, DirecTV, GRU Airport, Liquidnet, NAB, Nordstrom, T-Mobile, TIM Brasil,

Broadcom Service Virtualization Video

Archived Broadcom Service Virtualization Reviews (more than two years old)

Françoise Dough
Senior Software Architecht at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
User-friendly, flexible, and saves us in development time

• "The ability to create virtual services and deploy them as Docker containers, and include them in our Jenkins build pipelines, is a valuable feature."
  • "The workstation component has a very out-dated UI and is in dire need of a facelift."

What is our primary use case?

1. By virtualization, for all dependent services, we are able to create isolated test environments.
  2. We virtualize fragile services and deploy them with the 'Failover' mode so that we can fall back to the VS in case the real service returns an error.
  3. We virtualize third-party paid services, as well as in-development services, to minimize costs and delays.

How has it helped my organization?

In short, we are able to save a lot of valuable time. Testers and developers no longer complain about not having access to dependent services. We don't have to share/reserve resources or worry about our development being blocked by unavailable services.

What is most valuable?

It was critical for us to prevent possible elements from "unnecessarily" breaking the pipeline. If I'm pushing a particular web service through the pipeline and want that to be tested in isolation, it is a big problem if everything fails due to an irrelevant dependent service.

The use of containers provided a very flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

There are too many fragmented web components that could easily and logically be merged. For example, Service Catalog, Enterprise Dashboard, Portal, and Identity and Access Manager are all separate web applications. Why not merge them in one web app?

I have been using this solution for nearly two years.

This is a very mature and very stable product, although error prevention could be added into the product, for the sake of improving user-friendliness.

The idea of Virtual Service Environments (VSE) makes the product extremely scalable. Especially with the use of containers, you won't have concerns about resource wastage.

This solution has first-class support, and it couldn't be any better.

I used HPE SV before. It was very user-friendly but cannot be compared with CA DevTest, as it lacks a lot of the important features.

This initial setup of this solution is not straightforward at all. The installation is unnecessarily complex. Again, user-friendliness is not an area that CA DevTest can boast about.

RE
Test Manager - DevOps at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a Strong and Adaptable Framework

• "The most valuable features include the capability to use other program languages such as PLSQR, JAVA, .NET."
  • "UI should be more user friendly: better usability, more testing oriented."

What is our primary use case?

We use this tool to be more agile and deliver daily releases to production, shortening the development cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't matured enough yet to provide good prospects; we are still in the process of implementation. I can't tell you if anything in the process has improved or not, but the objective is to use this DevTest tool to shorten the development cycle. It hasn't proved itself yet. We've had it for a short time so I can't tell you if we succeeded or not.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include the capability to use other program languages such as PLSQR, JAVA, .NET. This is important because whenever the tool is limited you can extend it by writing your own code. The code is not limited to a specific language, it can hold several types of coding language.

What needs improvement?

CA Service Virtualization has its pros and cons. It's a strong framework and the feedback is good, however when it comes to acting as a test tool some improvements are required.

UI should be more user friendly: better usability, more testing oriented. This product emerged from the services virtualization domain and evolved to include application testing. They are very good in service virtualization, but in application testing they need to make some improvements. One of these improvements is to be more test oriented, which will allow the user to manage and control the test execution better and to organize the packages in a better, more user-friendly way. The users should be able to organize the test, test suites, and execution in a better way, such that scenarios can be integrated into the testing part. Currently its outside.

The application test should be more feature rich. I would also like to see seamless integration with DevOps. Currently it needs some scripting to integrate with DevOps.

It is very stable.

Very scalable. It's a strong framework, stable and scalable in a really good session.

When we started API and vacant testing, we needed a tool to support it. We did some research in the market and this solution has most of our requirements: it's stable, feature rich, and has many years in the market. This solution stood out as the best fit for our requirements. They are number one in service virtualization, although they are definitely not number one in application testing.

It was very complex, since it is a tool that is integrated with lots of software parts: all the servers, the middleware, the UI, etc. Integrating it in the development environment was really not straightforward. It took us several weeks to stand on our feet.

There were four vendors on the short list:

• CA Service Virtualization
  • SOAtest by Parasoft
  • Green Hat (now Rational Integration Tester) by IBM.
  • ReadiAPI by SmartBear

We chose CA as it fulfilled most of our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would give CA an eight out of ten. It could be a ten on service virtualization, but it's definitely a 6 or 7 in the application testing area. These two are combined into one product (CA DevTest), so the overall total comes to an 8.

When selecting a vendor, our most important criteria is based on which areas are supported. As we are an enterprise, we have rich environments with many types of platforms and the most important requirement is that the tools will support these rich environments, protocols, technologies, and platforms.

In the end, your choice depends on what goal is more important to you: services virtualization or application tests. If it's services virtualization, go for DevTest; if it's application testing, then you should think twice.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Parasoft, Micro Focus and others in Service Virtualization. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RE
Test Manager - DevOps at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The pricing is quite fair because it is a pretty comprehensive tool.

What needs improvement?

On the testing side of the functionality, there are a few things that are missing. For instance, a comparative report. But since it's open source, we can add the extension and we do this by ourselves.

It is quite stable.

I would rate the tech support a nine out of ten. They need more knowledge about the connectivity to DevOps orchestration.

I think the pricing is quite fair because this solution provides a lot of functionalities, and is quite stable.

It is quite stable.

it_user797958
Director Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
Ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments

• "The ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments, improving the productivity of our developers, and bringing products faster to market."
  • "It is definitely scalable."
  • "Needs some additional lightweight, portable elements."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

As far as the next version of it is concerned, probably some additional lightweight, portable elements. For instance, we would like to not have to rely on deploying things to a server, be able to carry it and make it more portable (maybe through the mobile devices), etc. Some of the mobility aspects are what we are looking for, and I do not mean running it on a mobile device when I say mobility, but being able to port it between workstations, and being able to take it and work with it at a smaller scale.

It is a very stable product given that by the time we got into it. We were in version 9.x, but it looks like about 10 years has elapsed between the time the product came out and where it is now. That ought to provide it some sense of stability, and also some guidance as to what the company needs to do to make it a stable product.

It is definitely scalable. The licenses that we have purchased, we have not utilized them fully. However, given our conversations with the CA product team and the use cases that we have outlined for them, we are pretty confident that it is scalable.

We actually stumbled upon it both in terms of good luck and prior experience. Prior experience, not from our perspective, but from one of our VPs, who happen to work at CA before he came to our organization. Combined with a need from us to not invest in additional development environments for some of our flow-through work, where applications needed to talk to multiple other systems. Also, when we were working on multiple projects, we had a need to duplicate those environments, which resulted in having to spend extra money on it.

What we stumbled upon was the Service Virtualization tool that our previous VP had worked with, remembered about it, and we started investigating, which led to our investment in the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely rate it as a nine. Simply because I think any product obviously has some inherent flaws in it. That is the reason why they are upgraded. It would be foolish to say it is a 10 right off the bat.

SB
Manager, Testing & Quality Assurance with 10,001+ employees
Reduces capacity limitation on mainframe, allows us to test the system even during peak usage

What is our primary use case?

Virtualizing mainframe systems. Reducing dependency on mainframe capacity and availability, which is a major roadblock for us right now.

The virtualization is primarily performed by eliminating the back end mainframe system. So we can read out our API traffic to the virtualized system. Basically, we don't have to use the mainframe while our service is virtualized.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with work/life balance. If we didn't have that CA Service Virtualization, we would have to run our performance tests during the night, because that's when the mainframe is least used. For our team members it helps them to maintain a better work/life balance, as they can execute their tests in the daytime so they don't have to spend the weekends and nights doing so.

What is most valuable?

To us, right now, it is going to be reducing the capacity limitation on mainframe, because we are highly dependent on mainframe capacity which is not easily available to us.

What needs improvement?

Regarding additional features for future releases, that is something we'll come to know when we start using it at full scale. But so far, we're pretty content with what has been offered.

In terms of improvements, I think a little bit more of use cases from existing clients. That could show that it's a workable solution used with other clients as well.

Still implementing.

Stability is pretty good so far. We have used it across our organization in different teams. So the next step for us is to bring it to performance testing.

Scalability is the next factor we have to judge, because this system has to handle a large amount of load, so we'll have to see what the scalability is going to be. But based on the reviews and research, we think it's going to be as per of our expectations.

We have had business partners, account managers, come and do the PoC for us, proof of concept, so we have used their support.

Support has been great so far. They have come to the table whenever we needed them. They have provided all the support in a timely manner so, so far so good.

We made the move because of a constraint that we have today. It's a constraint with mainframe capacity and availability. This is basically an opportunity for us to remove that constraint and that's why we need Service Virtualization.

We have completed the PoC, so I would say since we haven't completely set it up. So far, whatever the setup has done, we're satisfied with it.

We evaluated other options, I'd say lightly, very lightly, because we have used CA within our company from a while. We know that they are the market leader, we know there are probably not many competitors for the tool that we want to use.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's important to us is

• a relationship with the vendor
  • their response to us in a timely manner and
  • especially, their being established, having proven their solution with other clients.

I give it an eight out of 10, based on our experience so far. Once we use it at full scale, we'll come to know if there are any more improvements or challenges that need to be addressed.

I would tell colleagues to keep CA as the number one priority to research because they are the market leader and have the most experience, based on our research. I think they should be one of the top contenders for service virtualization.

it_user797925
Senior Staffing Engineer at Qualcomm Incorporated
Video Review
Enables us to virtualize assets, move development forward and not wait for those services

• "We have been using it extensively for the shift left process and testing. It helps us to accelerate and virtualize services and assets that we don't have. It enables to test faster."
  • "We have had developers produce code later than we wanted to, but we've had some other stuff that was dependent on that. So what we were able to do was virtualize these assets and then go forward with our developer and not have to wait for these additional services to be available."
  • "We are able to quickly scale our requests. We have tested across thousands of requests. We have had no problems so far."
  • "​From a reporting perspective I think we would like to have a more user-friendly approach."

How has it helped my organization?

To give you an example, we have had developers produce code later than we wanted to, but we've had some other stuff that was dependent on that. So what we were able to do was virtualize these assets and then go forward with our developer and not have to wait for these additional services to be available.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

From a reporting perspective I think we would like to have a more user-friendly approach. I think that's primarily where we would like to see some improvement. Otherwise we are pretty happy with what we have.

It has been very stable for us. We have been pretty happy with its use.

Technical support has been excellent for this product. CA has always been available for us when we had questions and they have helped resolve any issues that we have had quickly, and in a very efficient manner.

We didn't have a solution beforehand. Essentially, we had to wait for developers to give us the code. What this helped us to do is get over that bottleneck and not wait for assets to be available. We were able to quickly go out and have the testing or automation team build out a solution beforehand, based on the contract, and then go forward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it pretty highly. It would be close to 10 out of 10 for how it helped solve our needs.

it_user797919
Solutions Architect at ProKarma
Video Review
Allows manual testers to easily use the tool set, as well as hardcore devs or SDETs

• "You can have a lot of different people with different technologies use the tool, without any programming experience at all, all the way up to people who can program. And then, the more technical that you are, the more programming you have, the more you're able to customize the tool."
  • "It's got probably the greatest amount of features, in terms of different technologies that you can automate and virtualize, out of any of the solutions out there."
  • "I really want to see more of the "express" kind of model, where you get a little bit for free. I'd love to be able to see you be able to edit and author tests without having to be connected to a licensed server. And then, if you want to go and execute tests, then you go and connect to the server... I think it would unblock people to be able to do a lot more work from home or from remote places, where they can't really connect to the server."

How has it helped my organization?

It allows you to have a bunch of manual testers who can easily use the tool set, as well as hardcore devs or SDETs who know how to code. They can also use the tool set.

And, on the virtualization side, it really kind of helps you save money, because you can unblock yourself. If something's not ready, you can go and virtualize that, unblock your automation. We actually found in the last project that we should have used more virtualization, because our environment wasn't really stable. And so, we should have virtualized the things that we were automating so that we could demonstrate the automation wasn't the problem. That was always a question mark for people, and so that's a takeaway that I'll do again on the next project.

What is most valuable?

A couple of the most valuable features, to me, are the fact that you can have a lot of different people with different technologies use the tool, without any programming experience at all, all the way up to people who can program. And then, the more technical that you are, the more programming you have, the more you're able to customize the tool. Basically customize it to do what you want it to do. That's one thing.

The other thing is, it's got probably the greatest amount of features, in terms of different technologies that you can automate and virtualize, out of any of the solutions out there. So, it really can accomplish any task that you want to do with it.

What needs improvement?

I really want to see more of the "express" kind of model, where you get a little bit for free. I'd love to be able to see you be able to edit and author tests without having to be connected to a licensed server. And then, if you want to go and execute tests, then you go and connect to the server. That's a request I've been making, and I'd like to see that. I think it's in line with the open source model, and I think it would unblock people to be able to do a lot more work from home or from remote places, where they can't really connect to the server.

It's very stable. It's very robust.

I have noticed that sometimes memory consumption can get high if you use the tool repeatedly. But, it's pretty manageable. It's come a long way. I've used it for multiple versions, and I'm on version 10 now, and I'm very happy with the stability.

It's very scalable. The server, we've actually scaled it up quite a bit. One of the projects I was on, we were running thousands of tests, and the server wasn't really set up to handle that. So, we increased the amount of coordinators, and RAM, and processing power. And, just by making those small changes, we were easily able to scale to, like, thousands and thousands of tests. I'm happy with the scalability.

I wasn't using any previous solution. When I came to T-Mobile, SV was a fairly new tool at T-Mobile. So, we didn't have any other previous solution. We used this one, and none of the other solutions that have been out there have been better, so we've kept using it. Didn't need to switch, and we have been continuing to invest in it, because it's been meeting and exceeding our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I give it between an eight and a nine out of 10. I don't ever really give 10s, because I always think that things can be improved, so it's a great product.

it_user779277
Senior Product Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Unit testing or early life testing does not have to be stopped or delayed

• "The innovation is amazing. CA has continued to add to services that it supports, the transports that it supports, and has built all of the enterprise capabilities into the product as well."
  • "Unit testing or early life testing did not have to be stopped or delayed because those services were not available."
  • "We had a number of back-end services that were not available during testing times. What this had allowed us to do is get our early life testing done while those services are not available."
  • "We had to implement an external service catalog. We put it in ServiceNow. I would like to see an integrated service catalog."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for service virtualization. It is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

Unit testing or early life testing did not have to be stopped or delayed because those services were not available. So, they can continue testing using this capability, whether those services are available or not.

What is most valuable?

It performs as advertised. We had a number of back-end services that were not available during testing times. What this had allowed us to do is get our early life testing done while those services are not available.

What needs improvement?

We had to implement an external service catalog. We put it in ServiceNow. I would like to see an integrated service catalog.

More than five years.

What we have done is put redundant systems in, so it is stable. We are on-premise, so we are not using the cloud version of Service Virtualization.

It is as available as we can make it in our E2 environments.

It does scale up.

We had some on-premise support when we first implemented it, and they were excellent. We had some training for the product when we first implemented and that was excellent. We could not have been as successful, I don't believe without it either, because we had very complex environments early on in our DevOps journey. This was the first thing we were trying to automate back in 2011, so if we had it to do over again, we probably would not have done Service Virtualization first. However, with the implementation help and the training, we ultimately were successful.

We bought Service Virtualization because we are in a DevOps journey. If you are in need of services that are not available, you need to have a solution.

I was the product manager that rolled it out to our enterprise. It was very complex.

CA was learning the product at the same time we were learning the product. CA had just bought the product from ITKO LISA (or acquired ITKO LISA). At the time, it did not have enterprise characteristics, since then CA has been able to bring to a large company as far as management capability, security, and things of that nature. When we were implementing it, it did not have that, but it does now.

Upgrades are straightforward from a CA perspective. They are complex from our company perspective, and that is mostly self-inflicted.

We did do a bake-off. We looked at three tools and CA was the best. Therefore, CA/ITKO was the choice.

What other advice do I have?

You have to go check this tool out.

Most important criteria when a selecting a vendor: service and support. Pricing is right up there, too.

it_user349413
Software Engineer at Cerner Corporation

• "You can create virtual services from a live recording or convert raw traffic into request/response pairs."
  • "Helps us to remove barriers that we have with dependencies on services that we don't own, or services that don't even exist yet."
  • "DevTest is pretty massive. It's hard to tell what different parts of it can be used to do different things. They should modulize it more."

What is our primary use case?

It helps us to remove barriers that we have with dependencies on services that we don't own, or services that don't even exist yet, or services that are junky. It helps us to shift left and do our development earlier without waiting on those dependencies to be available.

How has it helped my organization?

I work in a test environment so teams come in and they do performance testing on their solutions. Whenever we can get their solution to work with DevTest it makes everything super quick. It reduces setup time, all the engineering you have to go through, and reduces it by days.

What is most valuable?

You can create virtual services from a live recording or you can even take raw traffic and convert that into request/response pairs, and you can create an entire virtual service from just those simple little files, and that's super awesome when that all works out.

What needs improvement?

I think the size of DevTest is pretty massive. It's hard to tell what different parts of it can be used to do different things. It gets kind of big, so if they could modulize it more, and lead you to a common work flow, that would be pretty awesome.

They're constantly making improvements, so it's gotten better every time they have released a new version.

It's very stable. It's very reliable.

We spread it out across, I think, 12 different teams using it right now, and no problems.

I have used tech support. They're awesome. They usually get back within minutes if you have a problem and they can get you up and running really quickly.

I was surprised, because usually customer service is not that prompt. But I've used it probably seven times, and every time has been an easy, quick experience.

There's definitely a learning curve, but they're there with you on site, helping you get set up. At least in our case they were with us, so that removed a lot of the problems.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, because nothing is ever perfect, and there's definitely a learning curve to it. But if you put some time into it, it definitely helps you out.

it_user778797
System Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility

• "Scalability has actually worked well and we are able to bring it to multiple environments."
  • "It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility."
  • "CA actually releases a new version every year. We had issues with the upgrade prior to the latest one."

What is our primary use case?

It is throughout the STLC, so we actually have rights from the PoC or idealization from testing, development, and even production support where someone would like to use it for certification, or a sandbox perspective.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility.

On our customer side, we have actually done a lot with this particular tool. It has helped a lot of teams to accelerate their testing and development, and saved a lot of money on the infrastructure side, setting up the sandbox side, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • Ease of use
  • How much easier or faster we can actually make something happen.

What needs improvement?

1. The enterprise catalog. Usually what happens is once you have a set of virtual services, then you go to an enterprise. So, people would like to see what is already virtualized and how can they take advantage of it. Right now, it is actually not part of the product, therefore we created something, a custom solution, for it at this point of time. These are two separate things. Sometimes, we have to put some effort into it. If it could be part of the product itself, a service catalog where a user could actually come and see what is already virtualized, how they could actually utilize it, and the value it adds.
  2. The access control to the new portal. There is a new portal available and we are making it as a self-service thing. Whoever wants to create their own virtual service so they can actually go there and create the virtual service. The problem we have right now is how do we restrict access to each of those virtual services or the projects. So, that is not implemented in the product yet.
  3. Cloud readiness. I know it is available in AWS, but we would like to see how we can actually make it more cloud-friendly.

More than five years.

It is much better now with the newer version. We have had issues when they moved it to a newer platform of a base platform a couple of releases back. So, we had issues in the past, but I would say of the latest version, 10.1, that we are using, it is in a much better position. But there are still areas to improve and we are actually working with CA to give feedback, and they are continuously trying to improve the product.

It is scalable. We actually use it for both functional and performance purposes. In the functional area, it actually works pretty well. In the performance area, we do not know where the limit is at this point of time. So far, it has actually worked well and we are able to bring it to multiple environments. Therefore, I would say it is pretty scalable at this point of time.

They are very prompt and very easy to work with. I have been working on this product for the last six or seven years, so I know most of the support team. It is pretty easy to work with, explain things to them, and get the right support. Also, I am able to get additional details about new feature releases, so it is actually pretty good.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did have some problems with the one of the upgrades. CA actually releases a new version every year, so we try to catch up with it. We have had issues with the prior to last upgrade. This one was okay, the latest one.

We actually did PoCs with other tools, then came up with the pros and cons. This was the product that checked the most boxes.

What other advice do I have?

It does what it promises. I would definitely recommend to take a look at this solution, because of the ease of it.

it_user778749
Engineer Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Supports multiple protocols, enables us to virtualize calls to third-party vendors and save

• "The most valuable feature is that it supports so many protocols. We, being a large bank, have almost all the protocols, and it supports all of them, so that's one good thing."
  • "One major feature I would like to see is on the user administration part. Right now, anybody can access any of the folders and any of the projects."

What is our primary use case?

We are into performance engineering. There are a lot of back-end systems that are sometimes unavailable, or there are a lot of various dependencies, and we're trying to get rid of those. That's one of the reasons we got into DevTest.

And it's been helping us quite a bit now. We've been able to step out a lot of back-end systems. It's performed pretty well. There were a few hiccups, but we got in touch with the senior architects and they helped us out with fine tuning and, since then, it's been working out well.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I think it definitely helps us reduce time to market, and in terms of dollar savings it helps us quite a bit. There are many testing applications that reach out to third-party vendors where every transaction costs, and we are able to virtualize all of that and reduce the financial aspect.

What needs improvement?

One major feature I would like to see is on the user administration part. Right now, anybody can access any of the folders and any of the projects. If they could bring in someone amount of user administration, that would help us a lot.

Stability so far has been good. There have been no issues. There was a learning curve, about a year or so. It took us some time. It's not a plug and play tool. There was a lot of customization that had to be done, but with all of that done I think it is quite stable now.

The hiccups we experienced were mostly to do with scalability.

There are multiple protocols that we actually work on, like HTTP, HTTPS and then MQ and TCP. HTTP and HTTPS were fairly basic, and we were able to get things done pretty efficiently. When it came to MQ and TCP, we came across a lot of challenges. That's when we got CA engaged and they helped us fine tune the tool itself so that we could reach the scale that we wanted to.

I would say they're a four out of five. A lot of times what happens is, they come back with scripted answers and then we reach out to the account manager or somebody. Then they look into it and they help us out. That's why I'm taking out one star for them. Otherwise, they've always been good.

We were on the lookout for a service virtualization tool.

I would say it was complex.

The initial set up, if you look at the basic functions, it's quite straightforward. But for the scale that we were planning to implement it at, we did not get a lot of support from CA. So a lot of it had to be done in-house. We had to bring in our own architects and do a lot of environment setup and the like. We did not get a lot of support from CA. That's one area where I would say CA could have helped out better.

We did look at a couple of tools in the market. We did a PoC on DevTest. Back then it was called Lisa. Everything went well, so that's how we ended up getting into DevTest.

We didn't do a POC on the IBM product, I think it's called Green Hat - IBM's has a service virtualization tool - and we were actually contemplating that tool as well.

We went with CA because the PoC went well. There were a couple of guys who came in and actually helped us out with all the use case scenarios that we had, and we were able to implement it successfully. That was one of the reasons we went ahead with CA.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, our criteria, what we are looking for are

• easy to use tools
  • a good feature set
  • and then awesome support.

I would say it's an eight out of 10. Eight because it has so much going on and there's a lot to learn, and there are a lot of things you can do with the tool. It requires quite a lot of learning effort. It's not plug and play. And a lot of customization has to go into it.

I would advise going with DevTest, definitely. It would depend on what you are looking to get out of the tool. If it's some of the basic protocols like HTTP, HTTPS, you could actually do it yourself. But if you're looking at a much larger scale, then definitely DevTest is the right tool to go ahead with.

Associate Test Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Easy to understand ways of creating stubs.

How has it helped my organization?

Different execution methods of virtual services. Its easy implementation is really helpful when changing the behavior of virtual services.

What needs improvement?

More examples of portal-based virtualization.

One year.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10. Technical Support: 10 out of 10.

Simple and…

What is most valuable?

Easy to understand ways of creating stubs.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More examples of portal-based virtualization.

One year.

10 out of 10.

10 out of 10.

Simple and straightforward. Anyone with basic knowledge can do it.

What other advice do I have?

CA technical support and DevTest community people love to respond and come up with a number of suggestions, which is really appreciated.

it_user572823
AVP Quality Assurance at GM Financial
Video Review
We're able to simulate activity when third-party interfaces are not available to us.

• "CA Service Virtualization has helped us advance the development cycle when third-party interfaces are not available to us."
  • "I'd like to see more of the newer technologies included in there, looking mainly from a mobile perspective, possibly, so you can virtualize some of the aspects that we're going to be doing for mobile testing."

What is most valuable?

CA Service Virtualization has helped us advance the development cycle when third-party interfaces are not available to us. We're able to simulate that activity. Working with the developers, we're able to get our testing site done in advance, so that when the integration starts, we're able to get further down the testing path with our third-party vendors.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to get further testing on a couple of interfaces. We do a lot of third-party request out for a loan; fraud verification; credit bureau. A lot of times, those data setup and data needs take a longer period of time than what maybe we have, so we're able to virtualize both the credit bureaus and some of our fraud facilities to get the testing done.

Also, facilitating in the training environments, where training environments are typically used part time, you don't want necessarily to have all the hardware and software laying around part-time. We're able to virtualize those interfaces.

What needs improvement?

As far as the stability, I've used CA Service Virtualization now for eight years, so it's been pretty stable.

It's able to scale. It's easy to scale CA Service Virtualization because of the way the services can be placed onto a platform. You could have a couple of services running on one server and if you have a high demand, you could put them on another server. You're able to have many services running across the organization. They don't have to be co-located.

I've not used technical support. The ladies and gentlemen who work for me are able to stand up the situation. We did do an engagement with CA and we brought them in probably for about three months in early 2016 to help with some of the more complex virtualizations.

We didn't have a previous solution. I've been with the company about 18 months and came in the early part of 2015. We're fortunate enough to get in with our General Motors ELA and I got the licenses for us to be able to start doing the CA SV setup for 2016.

I wouldn't say initial setup is straightforward. You have to have a little background, engineering knowledge, about how it operates. I know my team accomplished it working with CA in relatively short order.

What other advice do I have?

For the service virtualization, especially, a lot of times, we are asked to stand up environments and those will take time; you have to purchase hardware and software. I think if they start looking to CA SV as a solution, we can stand it up rapidly and usually solve the situation in a short order of time, saving both green dollars and hours of setup, for the particular hardware database, whatever you're trying to setup.

My rating reflects the flexibility that it gives, the easy deployment and the easy maintenance of it. It is probably one of the better tools on the market for virtualization. I've seen several.

it_user693234
Chief Product Officer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
100% flexibility by being able to change models. Technical support is excellent.

• "Ability to vary the responses very easily (randomize, pick-lists, etc.)."
  • "They can always work on usability and making simple things simple to do. This is true of every product that deals with complexity."

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features!

• Recording to build models, even from non-trivial sources.
  • Ability to vary the responses very easily (randomize, pick-lists, etc.)
  • Useful for performance testing — highly scalable and can vary response times.
  • 100% flexibility by being able to change models.

How has it helped my organization?

We have many third-party dependencies. Situations we have to develop and test for include when they are down, or change their data, or don’t support certain conditions. This tool simulates them perfectly, but under our control to change and keep up 100%.

What needs improvement?

I have used CA Service Virtualization for nine years.

We have had no stability issues.

CA Service Virtualization provides impressive scaling abilities.

Technical support is excellent.

We had mock-up type products but they aren’t sophisticated enough.

The complexity of an install totally depends on what you are trying to virtualize. Sometimes configuring the security settings for recording is a pain but that’s not because of the product, it’s just a pain.

I don’t deal with pricing so I can’t help.

I didn’t evaluate other solutions. I was an early customer, they invented this space and delivered a great solution.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure development gets involved. It’s more valuable the earlier it’s used in a dev cycle.

it_user558240
Manager, Applications Development at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We have created a training environment that allows our agents to work on the latest software changes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to virtualize almost any web service which allows us to perform testing and speed up our development.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s helped us in a number of ways. In addition to helping with testing and development, it has also allowed us to create a training environment that allows our agents to work on the latest changes to our software almost instantly.

What needs improvement?

My fallback would be scalability.

Oddly, when my capacity folks pull stats memory and CPU both show within normal limits. My users, app administrator, however, see degradation during peak periods.

We're working with our capacity management engineers and our CA SV specialist to analyze the performance stats and recommend a temporary solutions. I'm planning to upgrade to v10 in 2017, so I'm going to insure we have h/w that supports current needs and v10 +24 months.

The solution is very stable. We have not had any issues.

Scalability is the reason I rated it as 8/10. We’re going through some challenges with scalability right now. CA is helping us to get through that.

I have used technical support and they are generally very, very good. Sometimes it takes a while to get through the queue to get to the right person, but that’s just because they’re very busy.

We were not using another solution. We were doing manual stubbing. Developers were creating their own mini-virtualizations and this tool has helped us create them.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend going down the path of service virtualization. The payback is almost immediate.

When selecting a vendor, I look for reliability, honesty, and price. I don't look for the cheapest, but I look for the best value. What are they offering? What does it cost to get that? Can I get a return on investment from it?

it_user349494
Director of QA with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to simulate and virtualize components that we don’t currently have is invaluable.

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to simulate and virtualize components that we don’t currently have. This is invaluable.

How has it helped my organization?

At the moment, we are still rolling out elements of the product. But we can already see that it gives us capabilities we haven’t had before, and we are very happy with it.

What needs improvement?

We had a complex initial setup in our environment, but CA helped us with it.

We have no issues deploying it.

So far, it has stood up really well; no issues at all with stability.

We have not gone down the scalability path yet, but hopefully next year we will when it becomes relevant.

The technical support team is very smart. We had a CA architect come to us to help jump start the operation. We were pleased because he learned our business and helped us get the solution off the ground.

We previously used a different solution. We switched because there was a gap in our testing which we needed to fill in.

Getting it working in our particular environment was complex.

We looked at HPE, but ultimately we chose CA because they were able to meet our challenges. My biggest point was to prove it in our environment. CA stepped up and did a proof of concept. It took six months and we gave them the biggest challenge and they figured it out.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to look at the solution in detail, as it can fill a big gap in your testing. It, of course, does require tech knowledge to work, but for what it delivers, it’s worth it.

it_user528870
Test Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It allows testing without depending on a fully available environment. The rework effort to update test cases is high.

What is most valuable?

Virtualization is useful for system testing where the test applications are not integrated.

Service virtualization is beneficial as it allows system and integration testing to be done, without depending on a fully available environment. This allows continuous integration and continuous testing

How has it helped my organization?

Productivity has improved due to automation of system test cases.

What needs improvement?

HPE ALM integration could be better, especially for exporting/importing/reusing test cases written in an older version of CA Service Virtualization. The rework effort to update test cases is high.

I used it for two years; we have upgraded to version 8.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

N/A. v5 was end of support.

Initial setup was complex. CA SV scripting has an initial learning curve.

What other advice do I have?

• High initial learning curve
  • Benefits in system testing through virtualization
it_user551499
Director, QA Practice at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
I use the VSI, VSM, and SOA testing features. It does not have a robust test management repository.

What is most valuable?

I use VSI, VSM, and SOA testing. I hardly use performance testing and automated GUI testing.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool is currently mostly focused on SOA-related and performance testing. Its GUI automation testing is not that powerful compared to other tools, such as HPE UFT, and Selenium, in terms of, particularly, object recognition, smart identification, results repository, frameworks driven, integration with test management repositories, and ETL testing.

Today, customers look for one consolidated vendor to manage licenses and best usage under TEM (Test Environment Management) services.

What needs improvement?

The following areas of the product have room for improvement: automated GUI testing, performance testing of various HTML5 applications and its recording capabilities. There are SAP, Siebel, Oracle Apps, Citrix, Remote Desktop and RTE applications that require a multi-faceted approach for sniffing the requests and preparing the scripts.

Additionally, it does not have a robust test management repository. This impacts connecting the various phases of testing life cycle.

We have stability issues when creating stubs for performance testing. It provides the internal native web server where the VSIs are hosted/deployed, which are not scalable at higher load. They should more flexible and able to use multiple application servers. Sometimes, the VSIs stop responding too.

There is a scalability issue regarding licenses. The Developer Edition should be free and only charge for the hosting licenses. There are charges even for transactions and hits also, which makes it difficult to track usage and optimization.

While basic questions are answered, it becomes difficult with tricky questions such as, is the request payload non-plain text or Java de-serialized objects, and about customizing them. When we approach support, they redirect us to professional services. We need more helpful support here.

We used SOAPUI Pro for when web services and JMS queues had to be mocked. We shifted to CA for other protocols. But customers are looking at the return on the investment they made. Convincing them becomes a challenge.

Initial setup was OK.

Licensing definitely needs more flexible models. Too many complicated parameters also makes it difficult for us to explain them to our customers. Pricing definitely is too high. Not sure if CA is aware of SOAPUI Mock Services – a free alternative. And, for Pro, it is only $120 per year. If a customer has only a Web Services context, CA should explain how to bring up that story.

We have evaluated several products more than once, starting with SOAPUI Pro, IBM RTVS (earlier Green Hat), and Parasoft Virtualize.

it_user521982
Senior Technology Manager - Digital Channel Technology at Wells Fargo
We can create end-to-end services without actual hardware. I hope to see improvements so that I don't need to depend upon a single instance of the server.

What is most valuable?

Service virtualization is the most valuable feature because we can create end-to-end services without actual hardware, so that saves a lot of cost and money.

How has it helped my organization?

We do application performance management or testing, where we have two options: Either we have to build an infrastructure end-to-end or we have to use the service virtualization capability that can mimic the actual endpoints, which makes it much easier for testing.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. Microservices are coming, and I don't know how microservices are going to be virtualized.

They still have a long way to go because service virtualization is a new area and there is a lot happening in this world. They have to keep building on their product and services for us to get it in the future. They have to adapt in more areas.

They already know what we are looking for. We asked them to support the MASL. They worked it out and then they provided us support. Other areas they can improve on are the scalability, failover capabilities, so that you don't have to depend upon a single instance of the server.

Stability’s pretty good so far. We have been using it for the last three years, so it's pretty good.

Stability’s one area that needs work; it's good, but the challenge is that scaling at a very high level is slightly problematic at this point in time. It meets our requirements so far, but I think they need to improve it.

Technical support are very proactive; we have very good support.

We did not previously use a different solution. We had a homegrown solution, and that was easy and cheaper, but the problem was maintaining that homegrown solution over a long period of time. It was quite an investment, so buying this product made sense.

When selecting a vendor, we look equally at the process and technology aspects, from end to end; what are the services they can provide.

My team did the initial setup, and it's pretty straightforward.

I don't want to disclose which vendors were on the short list, but there were a couple of vendors, and we found out that those products were not mature enough.

it_user516930
Software Test Lead Contract at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It provides product validation flexibility in the SOA space.

What is most valuable?

Web service virtualization solution: It’s cost effective over a period of time and provides flexibility in product validation in the SOA space.

How has it helped my organization?

Specifically, service virtualization has reduced infrastructure costs by close to 40%. It helps in early problem detection and early fix, leading to early product release.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to have improved logging for trace requests and responses at the virtualized service level. The existing feature needs improving.

I have used this solution for nearly four years.

I have noticed performance issues such as the virtual server requires a restart after using it for a certain amount of time, to make sure it responds better.

Technical support is 8/10.

I had only used SoapUI before. LISA has better built-in capabilities that reduce the need for scripting/coding. Also, modeling is appealing and easily understandable.

Initial setup for service testing was easy, but setup of virtualization server was bit complex and needed help from an expert.

We built it in house. It was bit complex in the beginning but we gradually understood the setup better and are comfortable with it now.

My personal feeling is that the licensing cost keeps smaller organisations away due to affordability, but bigger organisations can afford it easily. However, an important point is that over time, there is a good ROI, given that tool is integrated well for virtualization of provider systems.

What other advice do I have?

My personal opinion is that the tool is really good as a service virtualization solution rather than a service testing tool.

it_user533106
Senior Test Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces dependencies on downstream applications. Scripts automate web services testing.

What is most valuable?

We were using this product for service virtualization, and SoapUI/REST API testing for the US’s largest retail customer in the home improvement space.

How has it helped my organization?

For service virtualization, we had a lot of subsystems in our application; and we had lot of dependencies on the downstream applications. We extensively used service virtualization to reduce these dependencies, which could be due to readiness, or downstream applications having downtime. We also had few third-party subsystems whose technical support was not available during US night hours. This resulted in a complete loss of the offshore effort in India. This was hampering our release dates, which are very critical in the retail business. Missing a release has a directly proportional impact on revenue.

For web services testing (SoapUI/Rest API), we initially had our web services test cases automated using a custom built Groovy/Selenium/SoapUI framework. Though the framework was robust, it was difficult for us to maintain the automation scripts. When our customer bought CA Service Virtualization, we were able to move our 3000+ automation scripts to Service Virtualization scripts within 6 months while supporting new features and producing regular releases. This was commendable.

Training our folks on Service Virtualization was also pretty easy. We hired three Service Virtualization experts from the market, and were able to build a team of 14 Service Virtualization experts within three to four months. CA Service Virtualization is a very robust product and is highly configurable. This helped us to take more user stories, compared to the days when we were using our home grown framework.

What needs improvement?

To the best of my knowledge (and memory), listed below are the few challenges we were facing at that time. It could be possible that CA would have already addressed a few of these limitations and short falls.

• Simultaneous execution of automation scripts was not possible; or, at least, not readily available. We had to write some wrappers to handle this situation.
  • Integration with Jenkins was not available. We had to write small utilities to achieve this.
  • Integration with JIRA was not available to automatically log a defect if there were script failures.
  • It consumes more memory and makes the system very slow, which was stopping simultaneous execution.

I have used this solution for more than two years.

As mentioned in the room for improvement section.

I don’t remember any issues as such, apart from the ones mentioned in the room for improvement section.

As I mentioned, we were using a home grown Groovy/Selenium/SoapUI framework. Once a customer bought the CA Service Virtualization license, we were forced to use this. However, we found the product to be more robust than our framework.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward in terms of installation and configuration. Later, as we encountered a few challenges, we built a couple of utilities.

It is pretty expensive. On the licensing part, we don’t have much insight because the customer was handling this part.

We had evaluated multiple frameworks because we were working in a multi-vendor scenario. Every vendor brought their frameworks and solutions to the table. I don’t know if the customer evaluated any other commercial products. A few of our team members had already worked on iTKO/Service Virtualization on other projects; and they provided good feedback on the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product for clients who are heavy on web services. This product is very easy to learn, implement, and configure.

it_user560256
IT Admin at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have automated the testing in the Dev and QM spaces.

What is most valuable?

The DevTest Workstation (JMS steps) and CA Service Virtualization are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

By using the DevTest tool, we have successfully automated the testing in the Dev and QM spaces. We have also carried out virtualization of a few systems and intend to apply it on a larger scale in future.

What needs improvement?

There is need to improve the DevTest Workstation with UI-based testing features.

I have used this solution for one year.

It was easy to deploy, as proper documentation and additional support was provided by CA.

The product has been stable and patches have been provided on a regular basis.

The product has scaled to our needs.

The customer service was excellent.

The technical support was excellent.

Previously, we were using Java-based, homegrown tools for our automation processes.

Initial setup was complex, as we were new to the tool and to reach the current scenario, a learning curve in terms of the tool was required.

A PoC was carried out with a CA Service Virtualization technical resource and he met our expectations.

Applying automation using the DevTest Workstation for automation of middleware validation, has decreased manual effort by 40%.

We looked at the HPE UFT software.

What other advice do I have?

You should try to do a PoC and then go through different use cases in order to understand where exactly this tool is applicable in your enterprise.

it_user570960
Lisa Virtualization Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Descriptions of the components pop up when the mouse hovers over them.

What is most valuable?

• The description of the components that pop up when the mouse hovers over them

How has it helped my organization?

It helped in simulating the environment for testing for a very tedious project, which otherwise would have involved lot of manhours to test.

What needs improvement?

The REST test step could include other methods. The currently available ones are: PUT, POST, GET and DELETE. It would be great if the DELETE method could have the Content tab enabled so the request payload can be sent.

I have been using this product for 1.5 years.

We have not had stability issues.

We haven’t had much issues with scalability, but when I did once, the support team was very helpful in resolving the issue.

I rate technical support 4/5.

I have used LISA version 7.5, DevTest Solutions version 8.1 and am currently using DevTest 9.1. The tool always had some additional features included in each of its releases and it fixed the bugs of the previous release. That made migrating to the newer version more exciting.

Setup was straightforward. The instructions in the specification document were crisp and clear.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It a great tool for simulating the service.

it_user104979
QA Lead at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
CA LISA is very helpful in replacing the prod back-end with stub responses which can help in testing cycle.

What is most valuable?

Virtualization is very important for me so as to mitigate my dependency on real back-end system and push the QA testing life cycle earlier.

How has it helped my organization?

Especially in QA/Test/Pre prod environment because of rapid changes and non availability, CA LISA is helpful in replacing the back-end with stub responses which can be helpful in pushing the QA life cycle much earlier in the overall development cycle.

What needs improvement?

It's currently very sensitive to app changes/responses & the setup to capture the responses is a bit cumbersome .

3 years

Only some security issues with SSL/RSA.

Setting up the proxy to capture responses for the model.

We didn't encounter any issues with stability.

Right now we're only using it for pre-production so we haven't yet seen how it scales if we use it for production volumes.

Pretty Good.

Good

Ease of use and reliable solution.

It's a bit complex as far as creating the model and then improvising it. Also maintaining the model is cumbersome.

We implemented via a vendor team - their support was good and they had a high level of technical expertise.

ROI is NOT that great since the product license is expensive.

Pricing and Licensing is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Over the past 3 years which I've been using it, I've found it to be a good solution. Only drawback is price, setup & maintenance.

it_user570957
SME Subject Matter Expert at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The web service harness is valuable. Enables us to stub services we rely on.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the web service harness and the service virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to enact a 'shift left' in our testing. In addition, I built an automated regression test pack for our teams. Thanks to CA Service Virtualization, we have new functionality (the ability to stub services we rely on) and we can test our own APIs in an efficient manner.

What needs improvement?

The GUI can be hard to navigate. The ITR keeps pulling the screen to the front. The speed can be improved as well.

We have been using this solution for close to two years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support was provided from our work team. It was sufficient, but the response time was slow.

Initially, we used scripts, JCL, and CICS transactions. CA Service Virtualization has simplified and enhanced this process.

The setup was straightforward. The development of the harnesses was more challenging.

Before buying the license, make sure that you try the product and are happy that it can provide the service testing capabilities that you require. Have people in your team who can invest the time to gain skills in CA Service Virtualization.

Our team did evaluate other products, such as SoapUI and Topaz.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand the potential of the solution and that it will take time to make it work.

Rishabh Mittal
Senior Software Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can view the flow in the model. It has enabled us to give client demos even when environments are not available.

What is most valuable?

The ease with which we can create virtual services and view the flow in the model are valuable features of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

CA Service Virtualization has enabled us to give the client demos in a very effective manner even when the environment is not available. It has also enabled us to shift-left.

What needs improvement?

There should be an option to search a transaction that is VSI based through a transaction number. It would really be a great addition.

I have been using this tool for three and half years now.

Stability issues do arise if there is not enough system memory.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

The technical support is good. I would give it a 8/10 rating.

The initial setup was quite straightforward because the steps to install and configure were clear.

Pricing is a bit on the higher side. Owing to its high cost, proper business justification needs to be provided to the client, if this tool is to be proposed.

We evaluated another solution, SoapUI NG Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to use CA Service Virtualization for all their virtualization needs as it is easy to use and the support provided via the CA Communities is also great.

JS
Senior Engineer at American Express
In addition to RESTful calls, it provides a range of other virtualization options.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of CA Service Virtualization is that overall, it is a system-based product for virtualizing the services. There are many tools that offer RESTful calls. However, with this product, we have many other options such as database service virtualization, mainframe virtualization and other wide range of virtualization options.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of benefits of this solution but I will give you the top benefit from my experience. Since I am from the testing team, I have to test a particular service and the service needs to be developed either by a third party or I am dependent on my development team to complete the service development, only then I can start my testing process. However, with CA Service Virtualization, what I can do is I can start my testing from Scrum 1. I can do this by grabbing details from the developer in my team or the third-party service and ask for sample request responses. Using these sample request responses, I can create a virtual service and then no longer am I dependent on any third party or a developer for my testing process.

The only thing is that I create the service, deploy the virtual service and then use it for my testing; it's that simple.Thus it saves a lot of my time and if I am using any third-party services, then it saves me money as well.

What needs improvement?

This is what I have spoken to the CA people as well, I would like them to include mainframe testing within this tool.

Right now, we can do service virtualization but there is no mainframe testing feature in this tool such as batch processing, etc.; it is the feature that I need.

It is pretty stable. The service is available 24/7.

It is pretty scalable.

They have some cool technical support. What happens is that when we are using the features of CA Service Virtualization, then if we are facing any issues, they have technical support for the same. Based on the complexity of the issue, they can tell us what can be fixed or they will give us a workaround for the same.

I was not involved in the initial setup of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the number one criteria while selecting a vendor are the features of the product. The next factor involved is how other clients are making use of it because we cannot afford to spend time to find out new features or bugs in the tool. So, these are really important factors and I would like to make sure it fits our needs.

Creating a virtual service is a matter of ten minutes. It depends on the complexity of the service, like the mainframe virtualization such as CICS or database virtualization, where there are some agents involved that take a day or two. It is simple. The only thing is that the developer of the service should have some technical idea involved as to how the service works and finding the right URL. That is important.

it_user558456
Test Automation Architect at American family insurance
Functional testing created for web services can be leveraged for performance testing as well.

What is most valuable?

A while ago, we were looking for a tool to do testing across the web services. During that time, we were doing some PoCs on SoapUI. We did a PoC with Lisa. The company name was ITKO. After going through several PoC sessions, we figured out that this would be beneficial because the functional testing, which we would be creating for those web services, could be leveraged for performance testing as well.

We have a conceptual testing document where we say, you run a single user-firing transaction against three simulators and you host your test there. Over a period of time, we matured from using web services to using all the web-based UI applications. The best part about it is that it goes one layer below the UI. It’s not dependent on the UI. It’s dependent on the transactions going back and forth between the application server and one layer below your browser.

Usually, with tools like Selenium, you just click. In this case, you post a transaction and test how far it goes.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a kind of defect-finding tool when it comes to regression testing and automation testing. You can’t use the tests against pages that have JavaScript calls being made from them. So CA wrote a Chrome plug-in for us, which, once installed, captures the transactions we aren’t able to see, like Fiddler. So, we have set up standards across those. At this point in time, other than the applications where we are having challenges, even with the additional plug-in, we are using CA Service Virtualization for testing.

What needs improvement?

At the point of next release, we would really like to see the issues being resolved which we are facing right now with dynamic applications. Now, most of the applications in the market, in the industry, and most of the companies are rolling out responsive apps. If you can get rid of that plugin interface, you can get straight into the application itself, that would really work for us.

Initially, there were challenges. It has a heavy client. The rendering of the application itself and the usage of certain features was unclear and we had to ask them how to use them. Improvements to the documentation were made over a period of time. So, right now, other than the fact that it doesn’t work for a few applications, it’s pretty much stable right now. It is maturing. Pretty much it's stable enough right now where we don't have to worry about stability.

In terms of individual usage, it is a one-user, one-license model. On the performance side of the usage, it is pretty much decent enough where we are able to put in low levels of total users and again with the feature of authorizing IPs.

Technically, you can scale it up to a point where you have your IP stability. So, scalability-wise, from the performance aspect of it, we never have any complaints on that. We just needed to have the infrastructure to support it.

We used to use technical support quite often. It has lowered down because the fact that we now have in-house expertise. So, we are working as mentors for people on the usage part of it.

Of course, when it comes to tool usage and if something breaks on the tool side, we have our in-house team take a look at it first. They are the software engineering group. Then, if nothing happens on that side, we go back to customer service and say, “hey technical guys.” We contact the technical support.

We were using TestPartner, which is a UI-based application for capturing and creating regression test cases for regression test automation. It was VB based and at the same time you couldn't scale it up. You could only leverage the same functional test for performance. So, the advantage we have with CA Service Virtualization is that whenever you create any function regression, we can use it, as is, for performance testing. We host it out there on the simulator, saying that, now, instead of running one user, run 500 users. Good to go.

But, your PC needed to be on when TestPartner ran. You could not lock your machine because it was all keyboard and mouse driven. We didn't want that.

Initial setup was understandable. It wasn't that complex. The complexity was setting up the infrastructure. That was one of the challenging things where we had to acquire a few machines so we could set up the coordinators and simulators. We wanted beefier machines so we could get very similar production load. But, other than that, getting it on the users machine is a straightforward process.

We were looking at performance testing tools. We had HPE LoadPunner before. We looked at it, but that was a while ago. But, with the benefits of service installation that Lisa provided, along with a performance background with the infrastructure for supporting performance testing as well, at that point in time, it was a one-tool-fits-all application for us.

What other advice do I have?

This is for those who are looking for tools where they would really like to leverage the service installation piece. One tool doing service installation. One tool carrying out performance testing. One tool carrying out functional testing. And if they want to not write performance testing specifically and instead leverage the functional test, I think this would be a tool to be considered.

Software Development Engineer II at GM Financial
There are fewer constraints through the SDLC cycle. It expedites the test time.

What is most valuable?

Service virtualization is the most valuable feature for us because there are fewer constraints through the SDLC cycle. It really helped us to remove bottlenecks and expedite the test time.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with parallel testing. With all the development happening, the sub-systems are not available completely. By virtualizing those systems and services, we are able to deliver our product quickly.

What needs improvement?

The one main thing we want to see is more on the reporting side. That's the one thing that we're missing. We need more detailed reporting. In particular with some of the integration, we want to see more detailed reports so that we can drill down to more scenarios.

So far, with the last few projects, it is quite stable.

The scalability is good. We are still new with it, but in terms of scalability, it is working right as it's supposed to.

We have used technical support. There were really good. I would give them a 10/10 rating as they really helped us be our best.

We got introduced to the CA sales people via our other company. The vendor came in to introduce the product. After looking at it, we found that it fit to our needs. We were struggling with a lot of gaps in our SDLC and so we decided to do a PoC, and it worked out.

For us, the most important factor while selecting a vendor was the continued customer support. CA was able to give us the professional environment and continued support.

I was a part of the setup. However, I have the other group who carried out the process. It was quite straightforward because I was with them at the time.

We did not look at other vendors. CA happened to be the first one.

What other advice do I have?

We are using this program, so I would try to use it the same way, This is not to advertise, but educate others. If you see any constraint in your testing or deployment, this solution can really help you in moving forward

it_user558258
IT Program Manager at Vectren
Developers are free to develop without waiting for others.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable feature is that it gives us the ability to virtualize a lot of our integrated systems. That’s valuable because we have difficulty trying to coordinate all those different systems in terms of scheduling, timing, refreshing of data, and that type of things. It gives the developers freedom to develop without needing to wait for others; so it eliminates bottlenecks for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We were having a lot of bottlenecks in our development process. Developers were waiting around for somebody else to finish and that helped alleviate that.

What needs improvement?

I don't think we've gotten enough experience with this version to talk about what should be in the next version.

It could be easier to setup and to deploy.

We have just started with the product. We're probably about six months in.

We haven’t noticed any stability issues.

Technical support was responsive. They did a good job.

The initial setup was straightforward. It required training, but it was straightforward after the training. The training helped get us off the ground.

We did not have a solution before. We went with CA Service Virtualization because of their ability to have a long-term customer relationship, and the ability to work with us to get the product off the ground.

What other advice do I have?

Get your business partners on board. Do an ROI analysis where you can actually have concrete use cases to sell the value of the product.

it_user558006
Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allowed us to schedule testing into our agile iterations, and helped us by using marks and stops.

What is most valuable?

Using the agile method, each iteration is scheduled to last 1-2 weeks and development would take up most of that. The testers didn't have enough time to properly test the application. With Service Virtualization, we virtualized the services and we brought quality into the agile iteration “extreme left”, and we started early testing.

That's how we got enough time to test the product. Service Virtualization helped us by using marks and stops. We are easily integrating with other applications and we are performing integration testing seamlessly. Before implementing Service Virtualization, services were not always available because of infrastructure issues or iteration time schedules. Service Virtualization removed all these problems that we were facing in the industry and allowed us to quickly do our job.

How has it helped my organization?

We not only use Service Virtualization for web services, we also use it to virtualize services that we used to pay for. It can be used in the enterprise bus to integrate external applications. In the QA domain, you need to pay a lot to use their services. Service Virtualization can save you this money.

For example, I have previous experience with the financial and insurance industries. In the financial sector, we integrate with third-party credit agencies to check credit scores. You still need to pay for these services even when you are only testing your application. If you virtualize that functionality, you don't need to talk to them, and you don't need to be dependent on their system availability.

What needs improvement?

We still have mainframe systems and while CA provides instructions on how to integrate Linux-based applications, they don’t provide integration steps for mainframe.

We would like to see improvements in mobile integration. Integration is partial, but we would like to have full-fledged functionality. Android mobile solutions are out there, so you can download an app and have full-fledged mobile coverage. You can set the model and Android operating system. But we can’t integrate these with development testing. If we get that feature, we don't need to look at other products like HPE Mobile Center, or something else. Having mobile would be good for us.

We are also looking for more knowledge to share with our developers, and others, on how to use Selenium scripts within CA Service Virtualization. The process is pretty simple. You build everything in Selenium, convert the script to JSON, and dump it to Service Virtualization; alternatively, copy the script and put it in CA Service Virtualization steps. But these guidelines are not clear enough. Clarifying this process would definitely be a benefit for CA.

Service Virtualization is pretty stable.

We are in the financial industry and process a large number of transactions. Every second, we process around 78,000 transactions; every second counts. Sometimes, especially when the servers are down, our message queues will accumulate hundreds of thousands of messages. When the issue is resolved and the gates are open, all those messages will flood the system. We tested all these things with CA Performance Testing. In real time, we cannot test using Service Virtualization, but we built all the messages, and the message queues, and we tested by opening the gates. We found that scalability is also pretty good.

Calling technical support works out good. But the website search function could be improved a lot. Their knowledge management system is not up to the mark. The search functionality really needs to be improved. CA has to really spend some time looking into that. Depending on the search, the content can be very limited. I would like to see examples and links to the documentation. The current search function is not detailed enough.

I'm a systems architect. I had a lot of experience with the development infrastructure architecture. I see that there are problems in all production areas. I always do research on the latest and greatest products. CA is one of the companies I've been following for almost 15 years. I discovered Service Virtualization when I learned that CA acquired ITKO.

I was involved in the initial setup at a different client. It was pretty straightforward, I never faced any issues, and in fact I purchased myself a license from CA, spending a lot of money on this. I was a good investment for me. I'm very passionate about technology. I have bought a lot of software, but it is worthwhile spending money on this.

We also use HPE for testing right now, particularly Mobile Center. Not every product will address 100% of the issues.

However, CA Service Virtualization is totally number one in the market, no one comes close to this. HPE introduced a product recently, but they're nowhere close. They need to spend a lot of time on that product.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at the capabilities of your application initially. Everything depends on that. I can say that Service Virtualization really helps you to reduce time spent testing, and improves the quality in the agile process. If you are not using this, I advise you just have a look. Definitely you'll like it, and you'll implement it.

it_user558345
Enginer at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates with all of our solutions, which allows us to work globally across all of our teams.

What is most valuable?

It provides us a high level of integration with all of our solutions, to the extent that we can set up modules with Service Virtualization functionality at the same time. We will do more with it once we get more into it. So far, we have been using it mainly for services.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allows us to work more globally across all our teams. Since the tool integrates with our services, we can do more.

What needs improvement?

I spoke to them at a recent conference and I think they're going to be looking at doing some more JUnit integration to be able to convert JUnit into their solutions. We're still using an older version so, hopefully upgrading to a newer version will enhance some of the features that are already out there that we don't have.

Stability is getting better. When we first started with it, there were some bugs. We had some issues between our environment and the tool.

It seems to be that we'll be able to scale it, as we get more into this tool and other CA tools. It seems like we're able to build one top of the other.

We used technical support quite a bit for different issues that popped up when we first started using the tool or tried to use new features. We’ve received great service. We’ve been working with some senior engineers and they've been taking our input. Hopefully, we'll be able to start working with them a little bit more when they do their baselines for new features.

We were using SoapUI and we were looking for a higher level of integration.

Initial setup was both straightforward and complex. We had some configuration issues, such as conflicts with our firewall. They helped with what they were able to help with. For some of the issues, we needed our security desk and network teams to open up ports and other things like that.

We brought on some new senior management directors and looked at different tools. We evaluated a number of different API testing tools. I don't know them all. Choosing CA was a management decision. I think my new manager had used or seen the tool in the past.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, functionality and the user experience are the most important criteria. It has to be easy to use or people aren't going to use it.

Be patient and understanding will come. It's new functionality and all tools work a little bit different.

it_user558267
Supervisor Applications Programming at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can create systems immediately, even when they are not available to us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create systems. We use TIBCO for our integration; the ability to create those systems when they are not available to us is very effective.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization in term of its availability and being able to create systems immediately. This happens in cases when our developers are held up or when we have to spend a lot of time switching between development and testing; that can really slow us down. This causes problems sometimes when we forget to disconnect and reconnect.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the naming conventions. The current naming conventions of CA Service Virtualization are hard to use.

I haven't seen any problems with stability. It looks pretty stable.

In terms of scalability, we're just getting started so we're just going through examples. CA is on site and they are taking us through the process. We haven't really gotten into the scale end too much. We are just taking small chunks and proving the concept.

CA came in and installed it. It seemed like it was a straightforward installation as long as you know what you're doing. I couldn't just do it out-of-the-box, but it seemed like it was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're getting into the lean and agile process and one of the problems we have is the testing and delivery time frame. We're looking to improve the overall quality of the product. The code helped the efficiency of our programmers in the overall process.

I suggest just getting in and start using it. That is the best case scenario for us, to actually start proving the concept.

When selecting a vendor, I would look at support, the functionality of the product, and how well it performs. I would suggest starting small, take it in small chunks, and just start using it.

it_user558087
IT Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Integrated solution for continuous testing and development. In terms of stability, I have to restart it every day.

What is most valuable?

For service virtualization, you can have continuous testing and development without interruption to your test cycle. For dev test, I been able to customize to being able to test, automate batch testing, and integrate that with my API testing and UI testing. I have been able to use that as an integrator. I have had no issues with integration. We have been able to use custom code to integrate the pieces so we really haven't had too many problems with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It's giving us a base start to add some customer framework so that we all behave in the same manner. For example, we've integrated it with Jenkins. We started to use the invoke XML results to integrate with other services to show us results. We can do that in Jenkins or we can do that with some custom visibility tools that we're building.

What needs improvement?

See below.

In terms of stability, I have to restart it every day. We set it on job and we just restart it every day. Otherwise, it seems to go down.

My team uses technical support. We have had problems with the upgrades. This is because we are on a Linux server and not on Windows. Those upgrades don't tend to go smoothly. We usually just involve somebody from the tech team right away, and just have them go through the upgrade with us. They are very supportive. They're at least a part of the experience. Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped us from running into problems, but at least we have somebody there to deal with the problems for the upgrade. We had to slog through our last upgrade, and we lost our database. We lost our history, which was pretty annoying.

I was involved in the initial setup of the service virtualization. We stood up our own Linux server. The setup was pretty out of the box. It wasn’t difficult. Our developers, though, want it to be easier. They don't like to use it. they want it to be easy to set up.

I would like to see some kind of dashboard that shows all of the dev test scripts that we have out there so that that we don’t have to rewrite the same ones across the enterprise. We can look to see what's there and reuse some of the ones that are there. Right now, it's hard to figure out what we have.

I would like to have some way to enable developers to use it more. They tend to like to go to JMeter before they do a dev test. The developers don’t need the UI and all the overhead that goes along with that. They already understand how to virtualize. I think it's a great tool, but it seems a little thick and heavy and it's very expensive. I think we are able to find open source solutions that do similar things. What I have found that I like is that I can use it to do my out-of-the-box things, like my batch testing and integrate some of my other tests and inflow that I don't get from other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try.

it_user558426
Advisor, App Development at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives visibility into what features are getting released when. We would like more robust dependency management.

What is most valuable?

The biggest value for us was writing all the stories and figuring out what stories are going to get into which sprint. It also helps us with organizing the backlog and dependencies. We've found those features to be useful to us.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of improving the way the organization functions, it gives us lot of visibility into what features are getting released when. It also helps us track across the organization in a much better fashion. I think visibility is the biggest benefit that we got out of implementing CA Service Virtualization.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more robust dependency management. This is the only thing that comes to my mind.

We have not had any issues with stability. I think things have been working fine for us so far.

We've started a little slow. There are just a couple of teams that are using CA Service Virtualization, so we have not really scaled it up for multiple teams across the organization. But within our group, there are like 3 or 4 teams that are using it right now.

We have not used technical support so far. Thankfully, we didn't have to use them.

We did not have any previous solutions, but our organization was moving towards this. We evaluated a few products and CA seemed to be a good option that will fit all of our needs.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but there was somebody in my team that was involved. I don't think we encountered a lot of issues or challenges as such. We had to, of course, pull some experts from CA as well just to get their ideas on how we're supposed to set up, how things work, and what are best practices. Other than that, the first couple of sprints we had to learn and tweak a little bit as part of our retrospectives. Otherwise it's been pretty much okay.

We had Pivotal Tracker and probably a couple of other vendors as well. I don't remember their names. We went with CA Service Virtualization due to the user interface. We found it to be more intuitive than the others. We felt that it can probably scale up to the needs of what we have within the organization in terms of integrating with the rest of the ecosystem.

What other advice do I have?

Potential users need to clearly know what they want, how they want to implement it, and how they want to use it. Then, once they have clarity, they can figure out how they want to set up the solution and go from there.

it_user558483
CIO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution helps us develop applications faster.

What is most valuable?

The solution helps us develop applications faster.

How has it helped my organization?

We get things done better and faster. I think everybody benefits from that.

What needs improvement?

We need to get more and more types of services because this is a multidisciplinary platform. CA can develop more services in it.

Stability is good.

We haven't upgraded to any new versions, so we have been using the same platform. I don't really have an opinion about that yet.

We don’t use technical support. We use local providers.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding which service virtualization vendor to go with, experience is the most important thing.

Benchmark the tools, ask your peers, ask about people’s field experiences. I think that's what I'd do.

From a business perspective, CA was a good deal.

it_user558564
Sr. Manager & System Architect, Abilities Lab at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Allows us to focus on just the system under test. It's still very complex to use.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that it allows us to focus on just the system under test. We can remove of all the dependent requirements from the system.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to implement an Agile Shift Left development paradigm so that we can start testing things before all the pieces of are completed.

What needs improvement?

I think the biggest improvement can come in usability. It's still very complex to use. Also, we've found a fair number of bugs, but CA always resolves them.

I would say it's been mostly stable. We did have a problem related to a service one of our teams was running that was not working properly. But, we don’t yet know what the root cause was.

It's scaled to meet all of our needs so far.

Technical support has been good. They're responsive to our requests.

All our teams were using their own solutions. We wanted something more universal.

Initial setup was straight forward. It was an easy install.

We also looked at Parasoft, but we thought that CA met our vendor requirements more closely.

When choosing a vendor, the most important criteria is whether we can have a long-term partnership with them. Obviously, cost is also an important factor, as well as software reliability. We also look at the future road map for the product.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have a group that really learns and understands service virtualization well. You can then leverage them for any teams that want to implement SV.

it_user558429
Senior IT Manager - Service Virtualisation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It introduces more flexibility, helps us cross-skill people, and brings in the DevOps mentality.

What is most valuable?

It is introducing a lot more flexibility for us. It reduces time scales, getting time to market. It also helps us cross-skill some of the people, and start to really bring that DevOps mentality into the bank.

I suppose in our payments estate in the bank, it's key to us. Anything that we need to put through to payments, regulatory, industry-leading, that kind of thing, we need to get there quicker. It's expensive to maintain those complex systems. Virtualization gives you the opportunity to do that a lot cheaper. We can stand up those versions of it, rather than build the humongous end-to-end environments that they always require. It's helping drive that testing down to being a lot leaner.

How has it helped my organization?

It's time to market of course, and also the total cost of ownership. We don't have to build big end-to-end environments anymore. Previously, any major project would come along and say, "I need to build more kit," and you just keep filling data centers. You just can't sustain that. It's expensive to maintain, and we don't always close those down; so someone's paying to keep the lights on.

Whereas with SV, we can negate some of that, and actually just build them up against the virtual service. You still use the end-to-end environments at the end of the day for your site testing, but it means that actually we can get through the primary parts of it a lot quicker. It's good.

What needs improvement?

I think the ones we've wanted have come through, actually. Because ours was such an old version, and we said at the time, "We'd like to see x, y, and zed". They're already in 9, and what I've seen of version 10, it's even more closely bundled with some of the other offerings as well. From what we saw, the biggest challenge we had at the time was that it didn't link in well with the repository, but it's now there. It's now got the open interfaces to get hold of the other stuff that it works closely with. Once we get the upgrade nailed, we'll probably get more benefit out of it.

I think for future versions, CA need to help customers get to an app store mentality where, when it comes to upgrades, I shouldn't have to go through a whole loop again every time I want to upgrade. If I tick a box, push it out to me. That's what I'd like to see. I'm sure they're probably working on that in some way, somewhere, but that would help me as a customer. For small customers, it's probably a lot easier if you've only got a few servers to upgrade. I've got 35 different servers for SV. I've got 800 people who downloaded it and are using it. It's a big user base, so to actually plan and implement the upgrade is a mammoth task in itself. Anything that would help me do that better next time would be a big positive for me.

We have had no issues with stability. It's been absolutely rock. It really has. When we scaled it, it's done everything we asked of it. We know the limitations: it doesn't always have the built in protocol handlers out-of-the-box, and you can't expect it to do every single one. We've had support from CA to build them. They came and helped us write some. As long as they're aware, they'll reach out and help us out. That's really great.

We have had no issues with the scalability. We've scaled it probably bigger than most customers, to be honest. The biggest challenge I've had is upgrading. We're on a pretty old version. It is a big leap. It takes a lot of effort to upgrade to the next one. Versions 8, 9, and beyond, I'm told are very easy to upgrade to. We're on 7, 7.5. It has taken a lot of time and effort for me to get off that version and onto a support base that I can take. That's the biggest challenge I have.

We do use technical support. I've got a good relationship manager. We probably only have one or two tickets open every month. We manage most of those things internally. We've got that capability there now, but technical issues coming through to CA? Yeah, we use it and then we got good service from them.

We knew we needed to invest in a new solution because of time scaling costs. Testing environments were just becoming more complex. We were having to quote ridiculous amounts of money to build more and more end-to-end environments. The challenge was that every project wanted to have their own. They wouldn't share. "Why should I share? Why don't you share?"

With SV, the whole idea is that you can have your own version, I don't care what you do with it. I can spin up as many versions as you need, very quickly, cost-effectively. Beforehand it was, you can only sustain the growth of bigger end-to-end environments to a certain extent before you say, "Sorry, there's no room left." You can't say that to the business. The business needs to change, so you have to find an alternative way.

It should have been straightforward, and it could have been better. I've given this feedback a couple of times previously. The focus is on getting the technology in, but it's less focus on the how do I change my organization to adopt the software? I think from other feedback I've heard, a lot of people have the same thing. It's not the, what it can do; it's the, how do I make it work in my organization? We had to focus a bit more on that. Once CA heard that message, I got all the support I needed, but it wasn't there as part of the service delivery for bringing it in. There are things on both sides.

I think it was just CA Service Virtualization we were evaluating at the time. We were looking at the IBM service virtualization offering, and I think Parasoft was in there as well. It just came down to this: it was the best offering for us at the time.

I need a vendor to understand my business and be proactive in telling me how they can help me with my business, rather than just being a vendor. You've got to be more than a vendor these days to stand out above the others.

What other advice do I have?

Get the right level of buy-in from your organization. Understand how to get people to adopt it, rather than focusing on what it does because the "what", everybody gets. Everybody knows what it does and how it can benefit you. It's making sure you've understood your organization and how you've got to convince people to change and adopt it. It's a whole new journey on how to get new tools into a company. It could be SV. It could be anything. That was a big learning curve for us. We didn't get the right people on board to buy into it. It's just beating your head against the wall internally to try and make change. You couldn't understand why anybody else wouldn't want it? I get it now. Convincing others was the biggest challenge I had.

it_user558597
Senior VP at Citi
We carry out testing on the back-end, and create mocking and stopping for service virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The keys feature of this product are:

• Workstation, where we can perform web service virtualization. That is primarily our focus, to enable the development and testing team.
  • We are creating mocking and stopping for service virtualization.
  • We are moving shift-left, meaning to carry out testing on the back-end which is not available. That's the main feature for this product.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization is looking at CA Agile, where this solution is available for the development and testing teams to enable their testing and provide a bug-free code.

What needs improvement?

We want to see more automation; an automated way of creating service virtualization without using the tool. That's the feature that we would like to see in the next release.

It is stable. We are using it in the Windows environment, so most of the time it's stable.

The product is scalable.

I would give the technical support a 50-50 rating, the reason being, for some of the custom solutions we have to depend on the tool. Thus, we have to enable and engage them for that implementation.

We didn’t have a previous solution for service virtualization. This is our first solution; we directly implemented it.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others who are looking for a similar solution to go for this product.

The main criteria while selecting a vendor is being a market leader who is number one in providing a solution for the problems/issues, which we are currently facing. That's the reason why we chose CA as they are market leaders for the product.

The product is good but there is some improvement required such as an automated way for creating those features which we are awaiting in the next release.

it_user558651
Test Program Manager at Infosys
For our agile development projects, where most third-party interfaces are not available, we use this product for early testing.

What is most valuable?

It helps us to create service scripts for performing shift-left in our testing.

In the development environment during the early lifecycle, whenever there is a third-party interface that is not available, we use this product to create those steps that help us in getting responses, as and when needed.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to shift-left in our testing life cycle.

We do start testing at an early stage in the development environment, even before it gets into QA.

Generally, for our agile development projects, most of the third-party interfaces or interfacing applications which are shared services such as middleware services are not available. This is when we use CA Service Virtualization for early testing. Once we get into the QA environment, we test with real interfaces.

What needs improvement?

This product provides an interface with current test management tools and that’s what we like about it.

However, we would like to see more interfaces with all open source platforms, especially in the CI/CD framework such as Jenkins, TFS tools.

It is very stable. We've been using it for quite some time.

This product is very scalable.

I have not interacted directly with technical support. We have our own team that is in charge of this aspect.

Previously, we did use HP Service Test and SoapUI software, but we find this solution to be more scalable and stable.

I was not involved in the initial setup process, since we have a setup team that takes care of this.

What other advice do I have?

Not many people know that even in the development space, developers can utilize this solution to perform some of their unit testing, before they get into real interfaces. This awareness is not there in the market. We use this product in performance and functional testing, so probably even in unit testing the developers could use it. Thus, we would strongly recommend to explore this tool and its functionalities.

The most important criteria while choosing a vendor is primarily its performance track record in the market and the range of solutions they provide across lifecycles. Another important aspect is the ability to interface with multiple solutions that are available in the market.

it_user558318
Senior QA Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
DevTest supports multiple testing environments. You can configure it to use one testing environment or 20.

What is most valuable?

DevTest supports multiple testing environments so you can configure it to use one testing environment or 20, and you can change it for use in any other environments with the flick of a button.

How has it helped my organization?

It takes a bunch of different technologies and you can use it all in one solution, so I can work with my databases, my REST service calls, different web services; and I can use it all in one place. We do a lot of integration testing, and that takes care of it all.

What needs improvement?

I think the one thing that we need that it doesn't do is performance testing for UI applications. So it integrates with Selenium, but we can't use it for performance testing.

We'd like to be able to do performance testing for in-house applications with more than five to 10 users, but we can't do that with the tool.

There's a couple of things with the UI that make it a little bit hard for new people to use. It's not intuitive in some places. You have to know what you're doing. It's not something that somebody could pick up and just start using the same day without somebody explaining it a little bit.

It's been very stable. We haven't had any issues with it.

We're not using it. We are using it in a QA group, and so it's a pretty small adoption right now. We're trying to increase that.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward.

There was another one called Green Hat by IBM. We were looking at that. DevTest seemed to be a lot easier to use. Also, it worked with TIBCO and with other technologies that we were using.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely read the documentation. The documentation is pretty good.

Programmer Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helped us start performance testing activities much earlier in the testing life cycle.

Valuable Features

Service virtualization is the most valuable feature to me; it helped us to start the performance testing activities much earlier in the testing life cycle. It also reduces overall cost, as we can replace the expensive third-party services with virtual services.

Improvements to My Organization

• Helped us start performance testing much earlier in the STLC
  • Shortens the performance testing period, as there is minimal component-level dependency
  • Reduced cost per transaction in case of third-party virtualization
  • Reduced schedule dependency, resulting in more productivity
  • Enabled parallel development for the development team

Room for Improvement

It is difficult and requires a lot of manual effort to debug/troubleshoot any virtual service. The overall UI must improve and must be user friendly.

Use of Solution

I have been using this solution for around 2.5 years.

We did not face any major issues related to deployment, stability or scalability.

The technical support was excellent. Other than that, through CA communities you can get answers to most of your queries or challenges.

The setup was straightforward and there are many supporting documents available on the CA site that guide you through the process.

Other Advice

It is a very good solution as it covers most of the transport and data protocols. The process of creating a virtual service is pretty straightforward and easy. The only drawback for this tool is its license cost.

it_user515856
Application Consultant - CA DevTest at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It records and learns response patterns. We can build an exact copy of the web services.

Valuable Features

Record and learn response patterns: It helps us to record traffic and learn automatically response patterns. This feature helps us to virtualize quickly and build an exact copy of the web services.

Improvements to My Organization

This product helps us to:

• Simulate broken/nonexistent systems
  • Avoid latency between project
  • Perform load bearing testing on unavailable external systems

Room for Improvement

More docs/code samples to develop custom steps: Sometimes we need to develop in web services custom behaviors that simulate technically and functionally the real service.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

Technical support is 9/10.

it_user516042
SOA Test and Service Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Virtual service models are described well. It supports a wide range of protocols.

What is most valuable?

• Service virtualization (the virtual services created): Virtual service models are very well described and hence able to understand properly.
  • Record and playback
  • Creating VS from the DevTest console
  • Magic string and data de-sensitization and model healing
  • Reusing raw traffic files
  • Wide range of protocol support, such as HL7 and many others

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps some of our customers achieve agility and delivery effectiveness.

What needs improvement?

The overall installation architecture should be simplified. There are so many components involved in the overall installation and the starting process. They should be made internal, such as:

• Enterprise Dashboard
  • Registry
  • Portal Broker
  • VSE

Instead of all these being manual and optional, they should be compulsory, internal processes.

I have used it for four years.

I did not encounter any stability issues, as such.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 8 out of 10.

I previously used a different solution, just to explore it.

As a services organization, we need to have hands-on experience with different products, so that we can give different customers our point of view.

Initial setup was straightforward.

This is the first product in the line that we have used.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend this tool.

it_user518724
Sr. DevOps Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Web service and MQ virtualization helped us build a virtual development environment for continuous testing and continuous development of our product.

What is most valuable?

These two features helped us to build a virtual development environment for continuous testing and continuous development of our product.

How has it helped my organization?

The release cycle in our project was initially three weeks and we wasted time waiting for environment availability, because the dependent services were still under development. In Agile, we need to get the test environment up and ready before the code completion.

With the help of virtual services developed by CA DevTest/Service Virtualization, we were able to create the virtual environment.

Now, the release cycle is reduced to two weeks, with a fully developed virtual service environment.

We developed virtual services for the HTTP and MQ protocols.

What needs improvement?

Even though there is no comparison with its peers and all the necessary things are right in hand, there is room for improvement with the Virtualizing Mainframe components. The concept of agent installation is a tedious process and should have been much simpler.

I have used it for 5+ years and counting.

I have not yet encountered any stability issues. I mean, I don't think you will, if you have right configuration.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 8 of 10. The community forum is the best of its kind and we can find solutions to all general issues.

We previously used SoapUI Mocking; it is simple static virtual services. For dynamic behavior that takes less time to create (hardly two minutes), DevTest is the ultimate.

Installation and setup was very easy. It is easiest tool in the market to learn and implement.

Compared to the initial license cost of the product, the cost has been reduced a lot and it is competitive. Of course, iPhone does not match Nokia on price, as the price reflects the quality. Nonetheless, the price for this product is very competitive.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated SoapUI Pro, IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server/GreenHat and Parasoft SOAtest.

What other advice do I have?

Just go with it, if you don’t have constraints regarding price; it is the best. Otherwise, for simple virtual services, go for SoapUi Pro. Rule out the others.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a CA partner.
it_user511368
Software Development Enginer in Test at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
It provides a quick and easy web service virtualization solution. The web portal seems to still be in beta.

What is most valuable?

Its integration capabilities with other external tools and technologies - such as Selenium, JDBC, external JARs (which can be placed in /HotDeploy and used) - is quite impressive, as is its wide range of support for various protocols, such as FTP, FTPS, HTTP to TCP, etc.

Because I have been exploiting its features for web service virtualization, I like the way it provides a quick and easy solution in that area. The ease with which a virtual service can be generated with minimal inputs and quick time makes it favorable.

How has it helped my organization?

Because I have been using this tool for web service virtualization, my development team relies heavily on me for the virtual service until the time the actual services are under development. This way, the tool provides a push to the agile methodology and has been great in achieving that.

What needs improvement?

In addition to a workstation, the tool has a web portal, with which (without getting into a lot of technicalities) one can generate virtual services quickly. However, even though it launched more than two years back, it still seems to be in beta version. Cross-browser support is not that good for that portal. On top of that, it doesn’t provide most of the features provided by workstation.

Coming back to the DevTest workstation, there are a few areas of improvement there as well. For instance, virtual services are not supposed to be of the same type all the time. With varying nature, DevTest fails to meet expectations sometimes.

I have been using CA DevTest for 2+ years now.

To date, I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support has been superb. 10/10 for that.

DevTest was the first tool we used for virtualization.

Initial setup was simple.

Because my enterprise team took care of all this, I cannot write much on this.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for this product if its features are capable of meeting your requirements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Innovation Chain Process Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We can virtualize entire backend systems or chains.

What is most valuable?

The virtualization options in the product: We can now virtualize entire backend systems or chains. That makes test and acceptance environments much more readily available, which offers more testing possibilities that results in better quality.

How has it helped my organization?

Our supply chain applications became available for more than 70% of the time compared to 25% before we started using LISA.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better GUI testing possibilities.

It only supports web testing by working with Selenium: DevTest is positioned as a test automation tool. People want to use it as that, but then they find out it needs Selenium with all the downsides of that. We also have a couple of client applications they can’t be tested at all with DevTest/Selenium.

Beyond that, you need a lot of ports to be opened to enable working with it. That introduces a lot of problems trying to use it, especially the database connection from the client. A solution would be to add all of the functionality to the webclient.

The full client needs a database connection. That is a problem for us, because that is not allowed anymore.

I have used it for eight years. I started with LISA 5 just for virtualization, which is still the most powerful functionality. We have CA DevTest (LISA) version 8.4 in a semi-production environment. We are currently upgrading to version 9.5 to replace all of these.

You need a lot of servers in advanced datacenters because of security regulations. Opening a lot of ports from a lot of IP addresses to one server is not allowed. Multiple VSEs is the solution, but introduces more installation problems.

Sales and pre-sales support work very good. They are willing to help make more use of the products without wanting to sell more licenses (at least they don’t appear that way).

The support is pretty good. I don’t have direct contact but from our MSP, I get the impression that their questions are handled properly.

I did not previously use a different solution. At the time we started in 2009, this was the only solution.

With version 6, everything needed to be centralized. Now with 9.5, it can be decentralized. It is pretty complex, because it violates all kinds of security regulations at the network datacenter level.

We did this with Systemation, a local company with expert knowledge of LISA/DevTest.

My advice is to work together with the network/datacenter guys from the start.

We didn’t calculate the ROI. We started this to save test environment costs, but we ended up with more testing and better quality.

Pricing/licenses are very expensive, especially performance VSE, which is kind of foolish, especially if you use DevTest as a test driver too. You’ll pay for the vuser bundle and for the VSE.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a central maintenance team, a CoE, but let the users use it themselves. That way, you’ll get more value out of the investment.

The product is easy to use and offers lots of functionalities. This product also supports the most protocols, compared to its competitors.

Architect: Service Virtualization, DevOps and Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Great tool & easy to use. Switched to CA Service Virtualization because it has better features compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

Virtual services

How has it helped my organization?

Efforts and time saving

What needs improvement?

Parsers, look and feel

5 years

I have not experienced any deployment issues

Very few but they were not blocker

Customer Service: 6/10 Technical Support: 7/10

We used rational integration tester. Switched because CA Service Virtualization (LISA) has some better features as compared to RIT.

It was simple

It was a joint…

What is most valuable?

Virtual services

How has it helped my organization?

Efforts and time saving

What needs improvement?

Parsers, look and feel

5 years

I have not experienced any deployment issues

Very few but they were not blocker

6/10

7/10

It was simple

It was a joint venture

There are a number of tools that are available in the market for same purpose

What other advice do I have?

Very good tool. Go for it...

it_user40593
Director of Quality Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Video Review
It allows us to function in an isolated manner by allowing us to duplicate or mimic systems.

What is most valuable?

Service Virtualization allows you to function in an isolated manner. It allows you to not be so dependent on systems that, in traditional testing, causes you delays, causes impacts to your overall time testing schedule, and just creates an efficiency in your overall process. It allows you to duplicate those systems or mimic them in a way that just creates greater efficiency and increases time to market overall.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest thing, the huge time to market gain. The other thing is just financial efficiency. We're seeing huge financial gains in terms of using the tools. One of the biggest things that I like about the CA products is they do what they say they're going to do. From financials, we're seeing millions of dollars worth of savings. We're also seeing time to market gains, just based on the fact that we're not dependent or delayed by back end systems and other environments that traditionally caused us delays.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the monitoring capabilities could be enhanced. Those aren't necessarily major gaps for us, but I think that would be good. Just some of the real time monitoring and reporting capabilities. Some of the solutions that we've had to create weren't necessarily out of the box. They were successful and again, CA supported them. Some of the reporting capabilities would be good. Additionally, when you're starting to identify your value ads, some of that reporting would help in identifying and calculating your savings.

It does what it says it's going to do. It's a very stable platform. The initial installation and coming in and bringing it into your organization, it can be a little disruptive, but once you create some real strategies around how to deploy the solution in your platform, the gains far out weight what the delays would have been or the challenges would have been in getting it up and going.

It scales wonderfully. We've scaled it from doing isolated projects, one or two projects in terms of our pilots and proof of concepts, to putting it in an organization as an enterprise solution going across huge organizations with millions of hits to the actual platform.

The technical support is great. They're very responsive. Even on top of that, the resources that CA provides, whether it's your account director, your strategist, your sales people, are also very supportive. They're there when you need them. I've called them at seven in the morning, I've called them at ten at night. I've never had an issue getting the right people engaged when I needed them. They also are really supportive of providing escalations when need be. In some of their platforms that are even growing and migrating, if they need to enhance their solutions to fit your needs, they're also there to do that and support you.

Prior to engaging with CA, I had identified the need. In terms of needing to isolate myself from both data environments, back end systems. I knew I needed to do it. I had actually started on a personal journey, working with a couple of other vendor companies to try to figure out if we could actually build the solution. At that point, I was introduced to someone from CA and the initial LISA product, as it was called at the time. That product matched exactly what we needed at the time. It was a match made in heaven at that point. We started down the journey at that point.

There were definitely other vendors on our short list. They all had quality or decent products. Where they fell short was on the service side, which is why I pushed for the CA solution. Backend services, web services, is its primary function. We also use it for some MQ services.

What other advice do I have?

We initially started with a small proof of concept. For a product like this, that's what you would normally do. With that proof of concept being successful, we migrated to supporting an entire organization within the bank that I was working at at the time. We took that solution from there to actually doing an enterprise deal and now pushing it across the entire company.

The product is obviously key. You want a product that meets the needs that you have. The other thing is the service that I get provided by those people that are coming in. Whether it's the sales or some of the pre-sales folks that are coming in. The support that I'm getting from them, the responsiveness that I'm getting from that, is critical. If you don't have a company that's going to be good to you when they're trying to sell something to you, they're not going to be good to you when they're supporting you later. That's all obviously been key for me.

In terms of the value that we were able to get out of the tool, I would definitely probably give it a nine. The only reason I wouldn't push for a ten is ... When we initially got the product, we were growing and the product was growing at the same time, so there were some things that had to be tweaked and some support we needed that wouldn't have made it a ten out of the box tool. I would say where we got it and the way we were able to use it, that definitely pushed it to a ten. Out of the box, I would say I felt like it was a strong nine product.

I would say if you've had the engagement with the CA tool and you've heard the sales presentations and you've heard all the hoopla about what the tool will do, know that what they say it will do, it does. It does it very well. From a market standpoint, it does it as a market leader. Overall, I haven't had any complaints with the tool in terms of the organizations that we've deployed the tool, they love what the tool has done for them in terms of their development, their development cycles, and the quality of the testing and the coding they've been able to do using the tool.

Not in terms of comparing it with a different solution, but realize that it is a disruptive tool in terms of the initial deployment. They need to understand it's going to take some heavy lifting. If their philosophy on deploying a tool is stand it up and everybody's going to come to you and want to use it, that's a poor solution and poor thought process. It is a tool that you're going to have to actively work to deploy. If you put together a strategy around deploying the tool and you do the work, the tool will get you the gains and the advantages and the saving that you're looking for in your organization.

I think it's great to hear what the industry is saying, what peers in the industry are saying is important. Some of our pain points generally are about the same. If they're showing how they can use the tool, how it's be successful for them, it is definitely something I want to hear.

it_user378402
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature, and really SV's main feature, is the versatility of available protocols that cover a very large number of cases. I wish the product had a built-in help function.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The product has not been used often by my company but rather by one of our customers. The customer has large dimensions and the product has been used both to compensate for the lack of components (one paid for the use or were not developed) and for performance tests. Its introduction, if maintained over time, should guarantee a huge time saver.

What needs improvement?

I wish the product had a built-in help function.

We've been using this solution since March of 2014, so about a year-and-a-half.

We did not encounter any major problems with deployment.

We did not encounter any major problems with stability.

We did not encounter any major problems with scaling it.

Customer service in Italian is not very useful. I found the forums on the support site of CA to be much more useful.

The forums provide us better technical support that CA's support here in Italy.

I had never used a solution for service virtualization prior to this. We chose this solution because of our partnership with CA.

The server-side configuration and the start of activities at our customer required the intervention of expert staff of CA because we did not have the necessary experience. I am of the opinion that it is better to follow the advice of experts where things are not specified in a simple manual.

It was done through a vendor team.

I have not edited the offer made to our customer. Being a major customer, I know that CA has created a type of license tailored to their business.

What other advice do I have?

Read the manuals and practice a lot.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a gold partner of CA.
it_user453096
Sr Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
This whole idea that you don't necessarily have to have a full end to end environment to get people functioning is important.

What is most valuable?

For CA Service Virtualization, it’s the ability to quickly prototype something. My guys really like the ability where they can do the recording session. It's a way for them to initialize for existing services where they need to get it up and running. The ability to have a listener and capture sample packets was a key thing that they really liked. It really helped us jump-start something. We could do something within an hour to have it up and initially runnin

Also, the ability to have the different back end connectivities, whether it's an Excel spreadsheet, or more complex things where we’re now linking the data sets and responses back together. Those have been a couple of the key areas for us and have been very beneficial. It’s also certainly a lot better than just doing stub code, because now I have templates that I can more readily reuse. That's better than just somebody who’s kind of building up the Java code to build stubs.

We keep running into situations where people will start building stubs and things like that, and we'll come back and show them the benefits of this solution. Once they start to see it in use, then they start to say “oh, okay, this is a lot better on that side.”

From a CA Release Automation perspective, it’s certainly the idea of being able to do the automated deployment. The challenges are that we started off down this path a few years ago, we purchases some licenses and have not taken full advantage of them to this point. We've had an ongoing challenge within our environment that stood up quickly.

Now we're getting a little bit more focused about this. I'm already doing some work on it and we’ll be doing more over the next few weeks. We’ll be looking at the Release Automation tools for coming up with the best processes for us to be able to have a repeatable process that quickly can deploy code without having to do a lot of manual steps. We want a good and clean workflow.

I think one of the things that we did appreciate was that changes were coming in to the product at a good cadence. We needed to support WebLogic, which was a big one for us at the time. Those things did come in, and we didn't have to wait a huge amount of time. I always felt like the product has been getting good updates to support us as we were doing some of those activities.

One of the things that we know and we're trying to work through is looking at when I go to set an environment up, maybe I don't quite have that new service yet, but I have other applications, my UI application, or whateveris ready to go, but I have this other middleware call that needs to be available. The idea that I can spin up or point myself to a virtualized service without one piece of it, but still use the rest of the end to end system, that's kind of one of those things that we would envision.

I'm doing a deployment of an environment / application, it's being configured, and then if I need to I'm going to use virtualized services for some or all. What we've been working on is how we can do a lot of that shift to the left by using service virtualization, so when we deploy we can at least get the development teams testers up and running on the application. Then we just have them virtualized on the back end. That might be how we would be setting up and configuring ourselves. It's definitely in that situation where you don't have a true end to end environment, but still need to be up and testing. That's where Service Virtualization would couple with the deployment in my book.

CA Test Data Manager is where there's one kind of end to end system and there has to be a system of data. A lot of times these call systems are hitting, and so having that model so that we can get it into the data, so when we deploy the software, you're going to bring this up. It may be our building data, which is an interesting challenge for us because it's a third party product, though they work very closely and have people on site with us.

Other systems that might need to have a configuration- there's all the types of users that are allowed into the system, or other types of price catalog information, whatever we want to model, that's where TDM is in your standing open environment, that's where you need to have something in place.

For some of our systems where we have to have data in it and available to product catalogs or something like that, then the TDM data can be very beneficial, and we can swap the data around, so we might be trying a new product catalog that's coming out, or new few features that are going to be offered, whereas we can also then go back to a production-like configuration as well.

How has it helped my organization?

When I originally bought Service Virtualization there were several things that we leveraged it for. One of them was that we had a merger acquisition, and we needed to interface the two systems together. So we needed to be able to share all the account information and those types of activities that were happening. There was going to be a set of middleware services that were going to be built on our end to allow the other system to communicate. Before that was ready, they wanted to start testing. We could use Service Virtualization in that case to let them start working with it before those middleware services were built. That was really beneficial. That's actually how I brought the product in in the first place.

The next thing that we really used it for was training. In the past, we tried to have training environments that were done different ways. They actually tried to have one application where they had two people dedicated to just trying to keep a full end to end environment up and functioning. They were never really able to do that. It kind of went by the wayside. It was expensive, and they just couldn't keep it in sync, and it was breaking. You've got enough different systems going that they couldn't fix all the issues. You had to go to either the development teams or somebody to help you out with how to figure out where the problem was. That wasn't real tenable.

Another way people have been trying to do it was they would build a simulator. One of them was a Flash-type simulator that tried to do it, but of course that would get out of date, and then they'd have to go back and spend a lot of money that way to try to update it. What we did is we built the services we needed to allow the applications to work in a training scenario so people could run those training scenarios when new sales people were coming in. They could run them with our call center folks and they have an opportunity to start working with the app ahead of time and not have to work with real data, per se.

We've had a situation where folks forgot to scrub the phone numbers. They took them straight from production, so a little bit to the TDM type of situation, and what happened was I got an e-mail shortly after we released one of our products, it had come all the way down from the CEO, people were trying to figure out what happened - a lady had called and said her daughter had had her phone number changed three times in the course of one week.

It turned out that people were actually using the real live system instead of the training environment, but they were reading the training documentation, ‘do this, put this phone number in.’ Those phone numbers were real phone numbers in this case, and we would treat it as one, or we'll call it real account numbers. People were changing those account numbers on the customer, and that wasn't so good. We quickly went to scrubbed account numbers, but that was one of those things, just one of those side effects where a TDM type of solution can become very important and helpful to make sure that you're running it through that kind of scrubbing process.

Those are a couple things, the training, the helping to get things going, and then the shift to the left. That's been a real benefit for us. We can get more testing in sooner and we actually had one project where I pushed us to use it because we couldn't get a stable environment, so I said let's virtualize those services. In doing that, we actually were able to allow the teams to do all their testing. By the time it got to our QA testing, I believe they found only one defect in the application on that.

The later in the cycle that you find defects, the more expensive it is, so finding those things upfront and doing it even without an environment that had full end to end capability, which was kind of always my point, was you may find some integration issues, but you can get so much of the functionality tested of an application with Service Virtualization if you've done a decent job versus just having to wait to get a full environment, especially when you don't have stable environments.

For Release Automation, obviously what we wanted is things that are repeatable so that we can do things faster, and it doesn't require the manual configuration because when you start to drive for faster cadence, you just have to rely on more and more automation. It has to be a known process, you implement it, and if you fix it once, it fixes it for all of your deployments. The other important thing here is that you must make sure that whatever processes you settle on, you're going to do it. Whether you're doing it in your Dev environment, your QA, your staging or your production, you want the same process everywhere so that if you find the problem, you can fix it once, and that fixes it for everybody. You’re always running a prod type environment as well, which just ensures much more when you get there.

A lot of companies including ourselves have been in a situation where what we do in production is distinctly different from any of the other environments, and that leads to a lot of extra resources being dedicated just to managing the production environments. Release Automation allows us to implement processes that can be reused through all the environments.

Even if you're not getting a full DevOps model in place yet, it’s critical that your production support people are working with you up front beginning with the development teams, which is how I actually started promoting the concepts. The concept of DevOps was because we needed to be able to really get in sync with what we wanted to do in production, as that was the end game. We needed people to be much closer together in alignment. That development was building things that were appropriate for production, provided the insights into the stability of the application, things like that. At the same time, we work on getting closer to a production-like environment all the way through.

What needs improvement?

There were things early where we couldn’t do a few things in Service Virtualization that have since been updated. The concern I have right now with Release Automation is the concept of what we call immutable objects, so I build it once in development, and then I move to all of my other environments.

My challenge is looking at this from a perspective of “I'm kind of looking at … do I look at containers, do I look at what the RA type of product provides?” I also have to consider being cloud ready. As I deploy into an environment, I want to make sure I have enough of a stable and a repeatable environment type of model where once it comes out of development, I know that everything is staying the same.

There’s different ways we can slice it, and depending on whether you do containers or a combination. That's some of the things I'm trying to understand more with Release Automation right now. I've been pretty happy with the product, I'm sure there are always things that we could ask for, but it's really done a nice job for us.

It's interesting that it still takes teams a little bit to wrap their heads around. They're so used to kind of stubbing. I feel like the product has been able to scale with us, I think more of my challenges are how best to handle the processes. For example, who should be responsible for virtualizing services? I think that generally, the best thing would be for the middleware folks who are building a new service. They should also be responsible for creating the template virtualized service, and you build it right up front so people can start using it. I think there's a part of it where people could then also modify and update data, so there could be other types of responses for their scenarios, and it doesn't have to be done by the middleware folks. We went with a model of a center of excellence where they know the key, and then we start trying to educate and train other teams to build out more. Initially, we were not to that spot with the middleware teams for a variety of reasons, so we had to rely on the individual teams to build the services.

There is what to be careful about - let's just say I have a customer lookup call, I really don't want to have to end up in a situation where two different UI teams who need to use the same customer lookup call did their own virtualizations of the same call. Those are some challenges for us that we've got to figure out. That's more procedural than it is limitations of the tool.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

The performance one - we want to start hitting it a lot more frequently. We've used it for some of the performance testing, and even the development worked pretty well for us. Even with all the training environment things we've done, I don't think we've really bumped up against a usage issue yet and had to put another instance out or whatever else we had to do to opt the number of times a hit could come in. There have been some issues with Service Virtualization, but I would have to can ask the team for more specific details

We just haven't ramped the Release Automation up high enough to know. Certainly the concepts of how it's designed seem good. With Service Virtualization the performance has definitely been handy in some spots for the kind of capability. Both of them have been scalable, I'm not aware of any real concerns regarding the scalability.

We built a solution in-house that coupled with data, the configuration of endpoints and how the app needed to be configured in a given environment. We had it coupled with ServiceNow to do workflow, and then trigger the builds, but then we could also deploy, trigger the deployment of the Release Automation product and kind of integrate into that whole flow.

There hasn't been an issue per se from Service Virtualization. There are areas that I want to dig into more – containers. The idea about how can I quickly decide what to do with Service Virtualization in the way of quickly getting it into an environment so that if I need to hook up to certain ones or certain applications because maybe that it's a third party that doesn't have a test environment, or whatever it need to be, maybe it's a credit check call or something like that to hook up, how can I quickly in spinning up an environment leverage the systems. That's something that we'll need to look at from a deployment to get that more integrated into our whole environment process.

Regarding Release Automation, I know that there were definitely some good strides and improvements that happened to that product from the first days of Nolio to where it is now. I know that especially before the WebLogic support, some of those capabilities.

For Service Virtualization, we went ahead and went with the CA recommendation of having some initial consulting to help us get started and help get the guys kind of going up to speed. What was interesting for us when we did this was the consulting guys come, and we were able partly because we had this merger and acquisition going on. There were some funds to be available where we might not have always been able, because CA rates are kind of up there.

It was kind of funny, we had already been working with the product for three or four weeks on our own, and we had already done some basic virtualization. I remember when the consulting team comes in, and the project manager says, "Well, normally, we'd be working with you just to start with how to get your environment set up and all that, but since you guys have already done all that, we can skip past all of that." We dove right into best practices and techniques, which I think the key is, and it's something that I have in my talks that I've done at CA World, I leverage developers to do my virtualization to start with, because what I talk about with developers are that they have a broader set of skills and bag of tricks that they can do.

If they look at a problem, and they have this, maybe they have some data set sitting there in some file, and they can't get it over into the other tool the way it is. They might run a little simple application to translate that data into a way the other tool recognizes. It’s the way that you think about design patterns and implementations. I had a team that started off with four people, and then we expanded to six at one point. We were leveraging some offshore resources as well. We were able to make headway quickly by just actually bringing in some fairly technically sound developer types in to do it, rather than people from a QA organization, where it can be a little bit more of a challenge because you don't necessarily have all those development skills and capabilities that a developer has.

I was able to get a good set of resources in and developers to work on it. One of the guys switched what his role was and became the lead of this effort. Because of all his skills and background, he got there quickly. We didn't have a lot of problem ramping up. I think CA did help us in the sense of jump starting it, but like I said, I firmly believe in the use of developers if you're building a center of excellence because they're just going to give you some of that robustness and richness in what you develop that is probably going to be more tailored for reusability. They're going to be keeping an eye on it, or at least that's what they should be doing from that perspective.

I think there's some things about the licensing and for putting it onto every sever, that's one of the things that will definitely be an evaluation point as well as we look at solutions and how we might do things. If we have to have one of those, if we end up putting it onto every server, pricing will be a bit of a question.

What other advice do I have?

Where I see Service Virtualization and Release Automation coupled is at the point of some type of environment testing. I'm going to be doing testing, so I'm either doing my testing in development, or I'm doing my testing in QA. Those are the most obviously common places we're going to be doing that. There's integration testing, but I don't necessarily have all the systems readily available to me for function up and running. Or sometime we literally might have an outage while they're updating the middleware call, so maybe it's important for offshore to be getting their testing done.

The ability to swap in or hook in virtualized services so that you can keep your testing going is important, so when you're doing the deployment, you could have your setups configured such that you say whether or not you need to select a given endpoint to be pointing to a virtualized service or the live service. I think it's important that you know how that data plays together, and which systems or maybe there's a group of them. You can't simply change one service. Maybe I have to have all three of them virtualized, running all the virtualized ones in one situation because of the way the data works.

What’s been the key is to get people embracing it are seeing what Service Virtualization can do for them.

Regarding the virtualization capabilities, I remember when I saw them and I thought I knew exactly how I was going to use it. Training was one of those things that I took to the business that actually triggered a statement by one of our sales operations people who said this changes how we hire people. That caught me off guard, I didn't expect it, but it made sense once we talked about it a little bit more.

I'm a software developer, I just want to get in and start working with it. I just wanted to get my hands on it. I want to work with it, touch it, and feel it.

When discussing changes in how we hire, we always had to think about all the type of training that they had to do. There's weeks of training as you're hiring people, but you don't always have the time to spend four or five weeks training people. The ability to have those training disciplines right there, and not having to maintain a whole end to end, which is almost impossible, and you're never up to date with that type of scenario, that's a huge win. Of all the products, I think Service Virtualization is the easiest one to sell and the easiest one to get your arms around as to why there's a benefit, and I was able to sell it quite readily into the company for those very reasons.

One of the things that we just have come across here is that you setup a training environment, but depending on how a company does their projects, if you're going to start something and put training in it, then you need to make sure you also stay committed to it so that it get enhanced. You need to work closer to the business, so that they have a sense of the value, and you need to make sure that it's factored into the project work. A lot of the time development teams just think about how to code new features but we also need to worry about operational, meaning whether I'm relying on my release automation tools. Questions like, how do I integrate, how's my apps being monitored, how easy is it to test them, if an issue comes up, how quickly can they detect it?

There's so many good things that Service Virtualization can do, and almost everybody suffers from the same thing with middleware teams who aren't responding quickly to them. You’re on different cadences of when things can be released, and just trying to have stable environments. Service Virtualization can help work around some of those challenges.

it_user406194
Sr. SDLC Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Video Review

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature is the ability to quickly create simulations of APIs that you use to disconnect you from your dependencies as part of your testing process.

We've really done two different scenarios. One is the creation of a new API. We were able to create a simulation before we ever wrote a line of code, and so all of our customers who would use that gave us direct feedback very quickly. In a performance environment, we have lots of dependencies, lots of services that we talk to. Having the simulations gave us the ability to run test when we want rather than when they're available.

What needs improvement?

The things that we're interested mostly are deployment kinds of capability. We would like to deploy these simulators as part of our continuous deployment process. We would like to be able to auto-deploy them as part of the test mechanism to help test teams without having to set up the infrastructure in advance.

6 months.

We've had no issues with the stability of the solution, had no problems at all in the six months we've had it deployed.

One of the requirements that we had early on was the ability to handle high transaction rates. Our target was 700 transactions a second. We were just able to prove with our mix of services over 750 so very, very comfortable.

This is one development group. We have lots of different groups that are standing at the doorway to get in. It's a very exciting time.

We didn't use technical support during the evaluation. We've used it a lot since, mostly to try and fix things that we didn't quite understand properly, not bug fixes.

Listening to our executives, one of the key difficulties that the development teams were having is the ability to test faster, so they can't deliver content faster to our customers because they can't test fast enough mostly because of these dependencies and the outside suppliers. Having a service virtualization solution gives us the ability to disconnect ourselves from our suppliers and those blocking dependencies, allows us to go faster.

We're not really KPI-driven. It's really can we allow the team to test without the dependencies where they weren't able to do that before?

One of the reasons we picked the product was it was easy to set up. We signed our contract at the end of May, and we had our production instance up and running in the second week of June, so it was very easy to set up and it's been running solid since.

What other advice do I have?

We really disconnected ourselves from the IT department. They run the infrastructure. It's then very stable and performant. Most of the administration is done by the engineering team itself, product engineering.

This solution is very valuable in terms of being able to speed up. One of the primary capabilities was the ability to consume it by our teams. How hard is it to learn? How hard is it to set up? Of the three vendors in the evaluation, the CA Service Virtualization was the easiest license model and the easiest to stand up and configure.

I've never really given anybody a 10 so I give them a 9. It's done everything it said it would do. We've got great consumption, early acquisition of the product. Support has been fantastic as we hope it would. The user interface is easy to learn. All of the things we set out as objectives have been met in the primary deployment.

CA Service Virtualization is an amazing solution, very easy to use, easy to train others on how to take advantage of it. I'd say jump on it.

Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's simplified the automation process for SOA testing, where the tool provides most of the testing feature in-built, and the time spent on script development for automation is reduced.

What is most valuable?

We can now focus on the testing and providing customers with good coverage of requirements. The maintenance of automation suites is easier in Service Virtualization.

What needs improvement?

UI testing needs improvements.

I've used it for three to four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any issues scaling it.

I have not interacted with the CA Service Virtualization support team because we have the CoE team where our issues will be routed through them.

We were using SoapUI (this is also one of the strongest base tools for SOA testing), which is limited to the testing of web services. Service Virtualization provides a different world of opportunities in SOA testing, which helps us to provide a better SOA solution to clients.

The setup was a little complex, but it is ongoing. When we get into the tool, we feel it's easy to proceed with it.

We implemented it in-house.

Its price is a little high when compared to similar tools.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the best products for SOA testing, virtualization, and middleware.

it_user379734
QA Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
It helps in mocking up new functionality and virtualizing it. We found it hard to have a customized solution.​

What is most valuable?

This helps my team in virtualizing responses so we are not dependent on the systems when they are down. It also helps in mocking up a new functionality and virtualizing it which may not be yet dev-delivered. We also tried to automate services using LISA, but faced numerous challenges.

What needs improvement?

We don’t see enough value in virtualizing the services just because it requires a huge amount of maintenance and there is not much support available online. I’d like to see a more simple approach to virtualizing the services.

We've used it for two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We've had no issues scaling it.

In my experience, I'd say that technical support is not so good.

We have not used other solutions other than using UFT for automation.

The initial setup was a little complex.

CA LISA was initially brought onsite for training, but after that all development was done onsite.

What other advice do I have?

If you are using this for automation of web services, we found it hard to have a customized solution.

Sr. Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides configuration settings to make connections to the DB and web services. UI testing could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is that it provides configuration settings to make connections to the DB and web services. Because it has pre-written code exposed through an UI, it makes it much easier to configure tests.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped with our automation testing.

What needs improvement?

• UI testing could be improved.
  • Also, it should have predefined plug-ins to integrate with other automation tools to help in tool-chain enablement.

We've used it for four years.

There were no issues with deployment.

Although the initial products were highly unstable, there is still room for improvement in versions 7.5/8/10.

It's scalable in terms of running a performance test because it supports limited virtual users.

5/10 - The worst thing is the training provided by iTKO/CA as it's very costly and not comprehensive.

7/10

We previously used SoapUI and this is much easier to configure.

The initial setup was straightforward.

ROI typically comes over a longer duration (both Service Virtualization and Release Automation), although its significant in terms of overall project cost when taking into account hardware, testing delays, and third-party dependencies.

It’s very expensive and to really come out with an ROI, it takes years.

We compared it to our existing solution at the time, SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product, but comes with a hefty cost. If there is a better licensing/cost negotiation, then it can work, otherwise it’s not a viable solution. Some of the in-house products can beat this with limited cost investment.

it_user378432
Senior Test Analyst at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The web services protocol for SOAP requests and responses is the most valuable feature. The user guide should be updated to include more scenarios.

Valuable Features:

The web services protocol for SOAP requests and responses is the most valuable feature. It is easy to set up the test for them without much coding, thus it is easy to train new testers to work on it in a graphical development environment where one can see the flow of information visually like the TIBCO product. It is easier than SoapUI to follow.

Improvements to My Organization:

This product has introduced a simple-to-use middleware tool, which helped our team conduct web-services testing.

Room for Improvement:

The most important thing is to have integration with Excel. It has a way to read the Excel sheet but not to write onto it. If I need to generate customized reports in LISA in Excel sheets for management purposes (which can show me number of test cases pass/fail/not started, etc.), I can't do this since you can't ask Service Virtualization to put specific values in particular cells with a particular color, etc. We were able to achieve it only using Java, which meant a lot of scripting, error debugging and rework, and this defeats the purpose of it offering a codeless environment to testers. A simple groovy scripting in SoapUI can achieve all of the above.

The Service Virtualization section needs to be more intelligent in offering a good solution to customers. For example, the virtual service created via the request response pairs needs spoon feeding of responses before the service starts performing. And I am not sure if it serves the purpose of virtual environment till the actual system becomes available. I have yet to see a proper implementation and successful usage of a virtual service through it.

CA should provide a free trial version of the tool (was not available till version 7.0.10) so that clients can try it out before making a purchase.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for two years.

Stability Issues:

The product is yet to become stable. I have seen instances when the tests have not been repeatable in LISA when scripting is done in Java. After removing and adding a character to the code, the test starts working again. Sometimes restarting it gets it working. Also, there are caching issues in LISA and it picks up the old values of the variables/parameters/properties in the tests even though the values have been updated and saved in the test before commencing the run. Thus, people prefer using more stable solutions like JMeter and SoapUI.

Scalability Issues:

There were no issues with the scalability.

The customer support for LISA is average with the associates not being reachable all the time. Also, there were no specific communication protocols set up to interact with LISA support team and we were mostly relying on the Confluence forum to have our queries resolved. Also, the search results on Google do not provide answers or hints to the questions LISA testers face, unlike SoapUI and Ready API which have a lot of online support available. One can only rely on the user guide of LISA which does not cover all the scenarios.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was straightforward, but the settings procedure, like providing the correct domain name, server name, username and password, did not work the first time they were provided from LISA.

Implementation Team:

I got it implemented through a vendor team. There are a couple of settings you have to play around with before it starts working.

Other Solutions Considered:

Choosing this product was a management decision and we would prefer other solutions because in order to achieve a customized solution one would have to do scripting. This tool needs to offer a lot more options before it can be marketed as a codeless environment that can really help an organization chive results with such a testing team that is not good at coding.

Other Advice:

QTP can achieve almost everything to do with scripting testing. Other tools like SoapUI/Jmeter being more popular become the obvious choice.

it_user378339
Test Automation Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
QA can start automating from the beginning and developers can do unit testing faster. Integration with Selenium and GUI testing needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

• MQ virtualisation
  • Web service virtualisation

How has it helped my organization?

Time-to-market has been a lot easier and quicker. QA can start automating from the beginning and developers can do unit testing faster. Third-party integration is not required so you save money by virtualizing third-party services.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Selenium and GUI testing needs improvement. Supporting more new technologies and existing technologies such as Flex, Salesforce, etc. would also be nice.

I've used it for five years.

There were problems where it doesn't support the technology. We have to write custom functions ourselves. This means our licensing cost is more higher and makes it harder to sell our products to small vendors.

There were no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling the solution.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good.

I have worked with SoapUI Pro, HP ServiceTest (now UFT), IBM RIT, etc. This product was taken by a customer and it was one of the best products for virtualization.

It takes some time, but after one or two tries it becomes easy.

We used a vendor team who performed nice work. If they supported new technologies it would be better as it's expensive.

Over about a year, we have saved over half a million for our customer.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for virtualization, but the price is high although we won’t regret it for this product.

Senior Test Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I like the support to build modular test cases using reusable blocks.

What is most valuable?

It provides for automated testing of applications, including the following features:

• Wide technology support (SOAP/REST web services, message queues, web UI using Selenium, database queries);
  • Support to build modular test cases using reusable blocks (called sub-processes in DevTest);
  • Extensibility using Java;
  • Integration with Jenkins continuous integration tool; and
  • Detailed test execution reports.

How has it helped my organization?

We've already created and switched over 10,000 test cases from manual to automated execution. Our QA team can now focus more on complex manual test cases.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a completely web-oriented automated test case design (currently need to use desktop application called DevTest Workstation). I'd also like to see IntelliSense-like functionality for custom scripting, as well as improvements to reports for test cases using datasets to quickly point to/locate results for specific data iteration.

I've used it for one year.

We experienced some minor issues, but they've been fixed in the current release.

Very good, as support person is usually trying to do even more than expected. There’s also a web site by CA called Communities where product users can help each other.

I’ve used HP QTP/UFT tool for other clients, specifically for automated GUI-based testing of desktop applications (.NET/WPF, Stingray, Java Swing). I can’t directly answer question about choosing CA DevTest as I was not in the tool decision group for current clients, but it’s very suitable for SOAP, REST, JMS, DB testing. CA DevTest would not be suitable for GUI-based testing of desktop applications which our current client does not need.

The initial set-up was not complicated thanks to the detailed documentation available.

We used an in-house team with occasional help from the vendor support team.

What other advice do I have?

I believe this product will meet your expectations if you’re looking for automated testing solution for any of the supported technologies. It also offers other major functionalities such as CAI for transaction recording and automated generation of test cases and virtual services which we’re planning to use.

it_user378420
Automation/Service Virtualisation Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

The two most valuable features for us are:

• Service Virtualization – It provides us with the ability to replace real downstream systems with virtual systems.
  • Test Automation – It enables us to trigger events and automate test cases.

How has it helped my organization?

• It reduces cost when we can replace expensive downstream systems.
  • It improves speed of testing when systems are not always available.

What needs improvement?

The biggest area of improvement is in the licensing. The licensing costs are very high.

I've used it for over four years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Technical support is excellent. I rate is a 9 out of 10.

We originally used Green Hat, but CA Service Virtualization provides greater flexibility.

The product is relatively simple to install and use. The complexities generally relate to system connectivity restrictions within the organization.

We developed using our existing contracting partners with support from the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Think “outside the box” when you think about how this product can be used. Don’t just think it can emulate systems because it can do much, much more.

it_user378147
SOA Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

• Codeless testing: There are no test scripts to write and maintain in DevTest. It helps to easily design test scripts without any programming knowledge.
  • Complete test coverage for heterogeneous, distributed architectures: in a single test environment, DevTest invokes and verifies functionality at every layer of the application - from dynamic web UIs, to web services, ESB/JMS messaging layers, EJB servers, Java objects, databases, file systems, legacy objects and much more.
  • Service Virtualization: Virtualization reduces the dependency of third-party services/system and allows us shift-left testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Our application requires the integration of many services across many APIs both internal and external. Due to this increased complexity, it is important that the testing of complex systems also starts early as possible. Leaving the testing until the end of product delivery increases project risk and the cost of fixing any defects found during later development stage. Using the power of CA Service Virtualization, it is now possible to perform integration testing on every application build. For application components still under development, service virtualization allows integration testing to occur even earlier in the development cycle simulating the missing parts of the system. Service virtualization also allows driving of error scenarios from both internal and external systems that may be hard or even impossible to produce, even with the real systems.

What needs improvement?

They still need to improve the reporting functionality for better customization. Currently the report functionality does not allow us to go beyond 5000 records where the display show all the records also more filters needs to provide to generate/customize test reports.

I've been using DevTest 8.4 and Application Insight. 8.4 for the last five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

The customer service is excellent.

The technical support is excellent.

For API test previously I used Selenium. To create/maintain a test script in Selenium Java coding is required. With DevTest, Java programming knowledge is not mandatory. We can do most of the things using in built DevTest assertions and filters without any scripting.

Setup/installation is straightforward. The product installation guide helps lot.

We did it in-house. We have our own product expert team for implementation.

What other advice do I have?

The CA community will help us with any difficulties with the implementation. You can find it https://communities.ca.com/places.

Software Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
We like that it can record live transactions, create virtual services, and use the request and response to create new virtual services for the back-ends that we don't have access to.

Valuable Features

The ability for us to be able to record the live transactions, and create a virtual services out of that, as well as be able to actually use the request and response to create new virtual services for the back-ends that we don't have access to. We have a bunch of use cases there from that perspective.

Improvements to My Organization

With the radio's hardware costs allow the development team to what they call shift left, and start to develop their code against the other back-end services that we may not have available in time. These are pretty much the benefits there that we see.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see more integration support with Docker for release automation, a few things on service monitoring that's pretty much provided in the prior version of the product. I would like to see that a little bit more usable in the future.

It's really good. We use it to support performance testing as well. That can scale up to tens of thousands of users concurrently.

It's great. Basically, it's designed so that we have a load balancing virtual service environment, so we can scale it up as much as we need to.

That's pretty much the key thing I like about CA compared to other vendors I work with. Their support is great. We have an account manager that's really helpful. He helps us kind of navigate through a different escalation path as well after we open the ticket. We never felt like we were left hanging when we run into any issues with the product.

I think it's a little more technically involved to get it started, but once you get the hang of it you can pretty much do even internal knowledge transfer to any other team. We rely on CA-provided training to a really small group of our team, and then after that we first do our internal training and knowledge transfer to other teams to scale it up.

ROI

We quantify what kind of benefits that we have against the cost that we have to pay on the solution. It turns out to be a really good exercise there. It forces us to do the ROI on the technology product that we buy against the benefits that we reap from the product there.

Other Advice

I would rate it an 8/10. From a capabilities perspective it's there. Like I mentioned, the learning curve can be a little high. Usability in the prior version that we used, version 8.2, usability is not great. That's why I give it an eight. It requires a Thick Client, so we need to install that on the machine. It's not the most intuitive UI ever, so we'd like to see it improved a little bit from that perspective. I know that they're coming out with version 9, which is supposed to improve that quite a lot, so I'll be looking forward to that.

What we start off with is that we had what we called a enter of excellence that comprised of a few very technical individual to try out the platform, to install the software, and be the product expert within the organization. Then what we did is that we pretty much scaled the development of the virtual services to other teams and that have more of a knowledge of how the service is supposed to behave, so that the COE doesn't need to be in all of these type of sessions and what not. We actually used the start out small and then use that team to empower other teams to actually be able to develop their virtual services that way.

it_user355620
Sr. IT Manager - Non-Prod Environments at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
You can give an application service to whoever needs to use it. They make a request, get a response, and use the application without even knowing that it's not connected to a live backend system.

Valuable Features

One of the key benefits is that it really reduces the need for an organization to have all these backend infrastructure systems which are very, very costly to actually procure and to maintain. Service Virtualization allows you to test without actually having physical backends there. It pretends that they're there.

By virtualizing application services, you can actually give them to whoever needs to use it. They make a request, get a response, and they use the application without even knowing that it's not connected to a real live system in the backend.

Improvements to My Organization

One of the things I like about it is it actually does what it claims to do. It virtualizes application services. A lot of the times companies come in with their glossies and all this kind of stuff, and they put it up on a nice presentation, and they tell you all about it. Then we try to do it, and it just doesn't do it.

This product just works really, really well.

Room for Improvement

The problem is getting the developers to do more than just hooking into QA backends. They don't do integrated testing so that the first time you bump into an integrative problem is when it hits our QA environment, which are integrated. They discover a defect later on down the cycle and it's more costly to fix. The developers are not finding their own bugs and fixing them.

This tool would allow them to do simulated integration tests without having all this backend infrastructure. They can run on it so we build the services for them, but they're not using it for that capability because it hasn't been presented it to them in that way.

So really the biggest area of improvement is just in terms of who CA should be focusing the tool's use. It would be best to focus on the developers.

Use of Solution

It was purchased from another larger corporate project and just kind of sat there, paid for but on the shelf. What happened was the maintenance comes up once a year, and our VP says, "You know, I'm paying 250 grand for this thing. Who's used this?"

We've been running one server for a couple years now. This year we've decided to spread our wings a little, and we're going to procure four more. It can replicate one setup on all five servers, or replicate five different setups, one on each.

The support is there when we need it.

Other Solutions Considered

We've had this one for several years, but we just started using over the last two years or so. No other options were used.

Other Advice

I would suggest that you do a proof of concept. Get it in your shop and try it out. See what you like. Look at other tools and compare them. IBM has got I think a tool called Green Hat. Hit the big guys that sell software like that, and do proofs of concept to make your own decision.

Use the web portal that allows you to develop services without actually buying the product. You can go in there and test it.

it_user355623
Environment Support Manager Non-Production Environment at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Our developers use it so that they can present a better product to QA. Sometimes by using it, we're able to implement something without even going to QA.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that it's available 24/7. If I'm not able to procure all the infrastructure and I have to share it, I'm not afraid to share it. It doesn't depend on who else is using it because I know it's available.

Improvements to My Organization

The performance testing guys really depend heavily on us for their volume testing. The developers use Service Virtualization so that they can present a better product to QA. Sometimes by using it, we're able to implement something without even going to QA. We're bypassing QA.

Room for Improvement

For our current needs, it's doing what we need right now, although it should automatically generate tests to further make our development to implementation process more efficient.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two or three years. My colleagues and I inherited it. It was purchased and sitting on the shelf somewhere until we started using it.

We had no issues deploying it.

It's highly stable.

It depend on how much you're willing to spend and how large your company is. We have 5 servers and it's scaled just fine for us. In a presentation I went to, American Airlines has 50 servers and it's scaled just fine for them.

As soon as you drop an email, someone responds.

It's easy to install as there's lots of documentation. Whether it's a small installation, a single server, or multiple servers, it's pretty easy. Again, American Airlines has it deployed on 60 servers. We have only 5.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house ourselves.

it_user350112
Mobile QE Tech Lead at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's given our organization a common deliverable and common strategies amongst various products. The user interface and usability of the tool could definitely be improved upon in the next release.

What is most valuable?

It's got a standardized format for endpoints as well as containerized, virtualized endpoints that are used by everyone on our team. We can spin up these endpoints if necessary.

How has it helped my organization?

We're still working with it, but it's given us a common deliverable. The overall testing strategy allows us to have more common strategies amongst various products.

What needs improvement?

The user interface and usability of the tool is not the best. They could definitely be improved upon in the next release.

Also, we are hamstrung by different releases and are not using all of the features, but it is useful.

It’s not stable as of yet, as it needs a lot of infrastructure.

We haven't done so yet, but we're hoping it will be scalable.

We interact with an internal department that works between CA and ourselves. They have all of the info we need.

I think we were just using many different tools to achieve the same thing. We needed one tool to do it all, and this fit the bill.

The initial setup was straightforward.

You should make an overall testing plan, otherwise it’s difficult to implement quickly.

What other advice do I have?

I’d compare it to open-source solutions that already exists. Consider your organization before diving deep. For us, we are building up our maturity, and this solution is built to a higher standard.

it_user353790
Manager Application Development at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It looks to see what classes you're calling, and when the data comes through, you can analyze and play it. It does requires a higher level of support in order to make the right decisions.

Valuable Features:

The features that I find most useful would be how easy it is to quickly get something up and running as a small test sample. The first test we had was simple transactions to it and emulating responses from there. We have Java and .NET APIs that we use to access the legacy system. Dev test works by hijacking the code and then you put an agent in it.

Also, it looks to see what classes you're calling. You can say, okay, if it hits this class, then I want to know. Then, the data that comes through there, you can analyze it and you can replay that data -- Java, .NET, or C#.

Room for Improvement:

I wouldn't say that there's a tremendous amount that could use improvement. I think that with applications like this, it's easy to use it for the wrong reasons. Early on, I think we had ideas about leveraging it in places where it wasn't a good fit for us, where it wasn't going to have a large impact. We had to have a bit of guidance from CA as to where we should be focusing. After that, it wasn't as much of a problem. There are some interactions with customers, depending on what they use. Where maybe we were thinking about doing something that was more internal, but didn't make a tremendous amount of sense for us. There was a case where we tried to virtualize too much. There are limits to what can be done in that kind of testing. It's easy to just take the tool and go virtualize something that you really didn't need to virtualize.

It does require a higher level of support. This is not the kind of tool that you can just haul off just go make decisions on. You need some understanding as to what the right move is and I think CA's the only group that's going to be able to help you with that.

Use of Solution:

We haven't been using it extensively yet, as we're still in the POC phase, but the POC's that we've run through have been pretty easy to set up. We haven't had a truly deep dive. We've been fairly impressed with it just initially. What we're doing is we're trying to emulate connectivity from a legacy-backing system.

Stability Issues:

We're a little too early on to be able to comment on that yet.

Initial Setup:

There was no problem. We did our own setup just for our POC and it was no problem.

Implementation Team:

With not much other knowledge than maybe two days of training at CA, we were able to go in there and hook it up to our application that writes out to the legacy system, intercept the data that was going in, store that, and then virtualize the response. We did all of that within four hours.

Other Solutions Considered:

It was decided at the enterprise level well before I got involved.

Other Advice:

I guess to sum up, you will need to engage with CA to understand what the right virtualization is, to ensure that you're not wasting your time.

I would say that you need to have good buy-in at the enterprise level, you need to have good buy-in at your director-plus level.

it_user351063
Senior Systems Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can emulate services to test against them instead of waiting on infrastructure. The automated generation of tests could be improved.

Valuable Features

We do testing, so obviously the virtualized service is going to be our big use. A lot of the times, services and/or components are not available, whether it's because the equipment is not available or is being used for something else. With Service Virtualization, we can emulate services to test against them instead of waiting on infrastructure.

And it does it pretty well. We do the recordings and get the response-request pairs. We also have development groups that are probably going to be using these services because they won't let us test earlier in the life cycle.

We're actually ahead of the development groups on this, and they're looking into docking it, but they don't know how use it and they don't know how to create their own services. So we'll probably create the virtualized services for them and we'll support it, and then the development groups will test against our stuff.

Improvements to My Organization

We're fairly new adopters as we've only been doing this for less than a year. Because we didn't know what we were doing in the beginning, there was probably two months of ramp-up when we had to learn, and now we're getting more and more comfortable and we're getting pretty good at it.

Room for Improvement

The features that I think we need weren't in 7.5.2 and the 8s. They're all going to be in version 9. These are some reporting and scalability features, as well an expanded virtual service in version 9.

The automated generation of tests could be improved. Right now, we have to generate them all ourselves. We want to be able to run that against the service and have it creates our tests.

It really isn't scalable, other than the licensing. We can pretty much test away and we can easily clone services if one group needs a slightly different variation.

Technical support has been great. They've been supporting us well and had people on site, which helped a lot with our architecture questions. We had a three-day class, but that's not the same as really them helping us out.

Other Solutions Considered

No other vendors were looked at.

Other Advice

It's better than I would've originally anticipated. Just understand there is a slight ramp-up, but once you get past that, the value is really there. I think, wow, we can do a lot of stuff, save a lot of time, and save a lot of money.

it_user350667
App Dev Manager at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
From a technical use perspective, it's given us the ability to test situations before they arise in production. I would like more online documentation and case studies made available.

Valuable Features

It's allowed us to be able to set up virtualization web services quickly and to test unhappy path scenarios. It’s easy to use in setting up virtualization and testing edge-case scenarios.

Improvements to My Organization

The time savings it's provided us are huge. We've been able to have a reduction in headcount as well because it requires less staff to manage it. We're simply able to operate more efficiently from a time and human resources perspective.

From a technical use perspective, the improvement in our organization comes from being able to test situations before they arise in production.

Room for Improvement

I would really like more relevant online documentation. There’s not really enough of it. They should also provide some case studies so that I can see what others have done and how their experiences might help me in my situations.

I'd have no issues with deployment.

I haven’t had any issues as it seems stable.

I haven’t had any issues scaling, so it seems it works well as we grow.

I've never had to use technical support.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I have also not been involved the setup of any new releases.

Other Advice

It loses points in documentation. I’m sure there’s a ton of stuff out there, but the out-of-the-box documentation is lacking.

it_user349413
Software Engineer at Cerner Corporation
It decreases a lot of bottlenecks when you’re stuck waiting on a downstream service to get done. Only rarely will the enterprise dashboard hang, but rebooting fixes the problem.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is definitely how quickly you can get up and mock something that’s not completely done. It’s very easy and it's extensible. You can add any custom logic that you need.

Improvements to My Organization

It decreases a lot of bottlenecks when you’re stuck waiting on a downstream service to get done. We don’t lose so much time and money on that. With Service Virtualization, we can get rid of all that and develop a UI without waiting on all those. It increases production and decreases lost time.

It has awesome stability, and we haven’t had any problems. Once you get it up and running, it stays up and running. The only thing that happened was that the enterprise dashboard hung up, but rebooting fixed the problem. This has only happened on super rare occasions, only two or three times.

We’re still in the baby steps of implementation, but with the teams we have, we can write one service that multiple teams can use. As we continue to grow, we know we can write one thing that multiple teams can use and it will grow with us.

We have on-site meeting and emails, and they were very professional and responsive, usually within an hour. Our technical account manager helps.

I was not involved initially, but I am involved in upgrades with enterprise dashboard and writing instructions on upgrading client dashboards. I haven’t heard anything bad about initial setup, though.

Other Advice

Nothing can be perfect, but it’s definitely really close. The documentation is awesome, but tutorial-based instructions would be helpful.

We had one of CA’s engineers come on site and work with us for one week and that sped up our use of it more efficiently.

it_user349302
Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We’re able to continue development and push for service for our clients even when other aspects fail, although it needs a more stable client-side application.

Valuable Features

We use it to have a highly-available development process because we develop our front end and middleware in tandem with our services teams. When their stuff goes down we don’t want them to cause us a delay on deliverables to the client.

Having a virtual service to rely on, we’re able to continue development even when one of their services fails. They provide built-in data handlers for a variety of different protocols. The REST data protocol auto-parses everything, so you can do analytics. It can flex and provide different responses depending on the request, and is easily measurable and repeatable.

Improvements to My Organization

We have issues where one of our dev services goes down, but we still have commitments we have to keep. We’re able to continue development and push for service for our clients even when other aspects fail, instead of causing delays.

Room for Improvement

Improved Mac support would be an improvement. Also, when things fail, I’d like to see meaningful error messages. A more stable client-side application would be a big thing – their server side application is pretty solid.

It’s pretty good. It’s an Eclipse IDE app, so it’s a little old, and their Mac support isn’t as strong as it could be, but otherwise it’s pretty solid. Once you deploy the virtual services everything just kind of works.

We haven’t really tested it at scale. All of our work has been at the single-team level.

I've just used their community support.

We were the pilot team for the solution. It was fairly straightforward; install a package on a server, start up some services, and go.

Other Advice

It’s provided value. We’ve been able to continue development even when we wouldn’t previously have been able to continue. There’s been a learning curve, some hiccups, and a challenge to train new people on the solution. There is some barrier to entry.

it_user346656
Quality Engineer @ Hybrid Integration Provider tribe at Swisscom (Switzerland) Ltd.
There is a range of different kinds of simulations that we can create, although integration of RAML files so that you can generate simulations directly from the specifications would be an improvement.

Valuable Features

The most important thing is that we can integrate it into our existing test automation and CI tool, which is Jenkins at the moment. Our plan is to elaborate the deployment process for continuous deployment – the integration of the testing tools is very important to us. We have real backends and there are already issues with availability and stability, so we use simulations to mock up the production environment.

Improvements to My Organization

There is a range of different kinds of simulations that we can create – capture/replay up to creation of real, elaborate simulations of the back end.

Room for Improvement

The UI is a pain point. If they had a better UI, it would have a much higher rating.

Integration of RAML files so that you can generate simulations directly from the specifications would be another improvement. For example, some guidance within the tool – if we could customize Service Virtualization, to disable functions we do not need. There are a bunch of functionalities which are part of the solution and we have to go through a number of cascading menus to find what we need. In other words, to simplify the front end.

We don’t, for example, use SAP or Oracle databases that we need to attach, and, therefore, it would be nice to disable these un-needed functions, to reduce the complexity of the GUI. Another point is that if something fails during the testing process, there is a lot of logged information that is useful because the error messages are Service Virtualization specific. It would be helpful to get more meaningful error messages. For example, a malformed JSON file, the error that is returned which is some internal error, but it’s not clear, for example, that it might be a syntax error.

It’s great. The only problem we have is that the UI is not good. The tool is fully implemented in Java, and you can’t move readouts between screens. We can live with it, but we need a really huge screen. And we can’t work with a laptop.

This is one of the reasons we try to get rid of the UI and, instead, to generate templates by script so we don’t have to use the UI. We switched from using the UI to automatic template generation, which is a kind of model-driven testing.

It is very good. The response times are really short. We have a partner, IPT, a CA partner, whom we have engaged for support. So if we have some issues they call CA support, and the response times are really, really quick.

It was already in production when I joined.

Other Advice

If you want to implement something at the enterprise level, then this is an appropriate tool, not something that is open-source or free. Think about how it integrates with other solutions and the product’s reliability. Also, you’ll need professional support for such a solution.

it_user348210
QA Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides us with cost savings on hardware and earlier defect identification. We did, however, have a complex Linux setup that was due to our internal security process.

What is most valuable?

• We mainly use it for performance testing.
  • Being able to spin up virtual services without buying additional hardware and being able to test.
  • Ability to shift left or simplify the SDLC process.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are cost savings on hardware and earlier defect identification. We have a bunch of metrics we just presented on this.

What needs improvement?

Currently we are in the early cycle. It meets our current needs. I see where there are things we potentially may need, but nothing in the near future.

Good. We haven't had any issues. This is beneficial because we had CA resources on site so they have been able to help us and the product dev team to be able to solve issues quickly.

Good. It was part of our POC in which we made sure it would scale to fit our environment. It was our criteria in why we chose CA over other vendors.

We really haven’t done a lot of that because we have CA resources on site who was able to handle the majority of them. The CA Resource on site has done everything and anything and solved problems quickly. We honestly haven’t run into many problems. Not much to answer.

We've looked at Service Virtualization for the last few years because we knew the benefits of it but for which we never had the financial backing to purchase a tool. We've known that we've needed it for a long time just because of the benefits and abilities to transform the IT organization. It took a big change in our IT organization to buy it.

We considered HP SV, IBM GreenHat or whatever it is called now, Parasoft, and another smaller one.

It was straightforward from CA's setup, but it was probably somewhere in between in terms of our internal process.

We set up on a Linux server which was complex due to internal security in our company that pose a challenge. Not a tool specific problem, but an internal process security issue.

We considered HP Service Virtualization, IBM Green Hat or whatever it is called now, Parasoft, and another smaller one.

We were looking for a tool that met the needs of what we're trying to do. We have specific criteria. Most tools can do the basic web services, message queues, etc. What set CA apart was the ability to do the Java Virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, do what’s right for your organization. While the tools try to be one size fits all. They each do something better than the other and you have to pick one that fits your IT organization.

it_user345570
QA Automation Tech Lead at Nike
It can generate predefined responses to data so that we have a complete understanding as to how we’d perform, though it's a heavyweight tool for my personal needs.

What is most valuable?

It's the ability to capture and replay traffic that's most valuable to us. We can monitor network traffic while getting data, and a virtual endpoint lets us see what the platform would respond with. We use it to isolate our app from unreliable pieces of the ecosystem, protecting our code from uncertainty.

How has it helped my organization?

Isolating the application that we’re testing is the top benefit. Also, it adds the ability to generate predefined responses to data so that we have a complete understanding as to how we’d perform.

What needs improvement?

So far nothing, it has everything I've needed. Totally everything.

However, it's a pretty heavyweight tool for my personal needs. I like to do stuff on my own and would normally prefer to use my own solution for service virtualization, rather than such a heavyweight, extensive product. In half an afternoon, I could make a few scripts to meet all the needs myself.

I haven't used it for long. We went through training, and have been planning how to use it as our app is still being developed. Training usage was two months.

It seems to be scalable, but we don’t know to what extent. For my testing needs, the solution has been fine, but I’m not sure from an enterprise perspective. I’ve been at Nike for two years and used to be just a Java developer.

I've not had to use them.

We used Charles Proxy and it required much more manual work. This product is much more automatic.

This is what I'm primarily doing. It's been straightforward with no issues.

It was a corporate decision to change. They looked for a solution that most accurately solved the need at hand efficiently. The most direct applicable solution to my needs is the important thing.

What other advice do I have?

Jump in and play around with it, and you'll get it easily.

QA Director at Bridgetree
It allowed us to fill gaps with the middleware software for an ESB application, enabling the test teams to begin testing before the hardware and applications were fully ready.

What is most valuable?

Virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used CA LISA in two organizations. In the first one, we were leveraging the virtualization capabilities to fill gaps with the middleware software for an ESB application. This enable the test teams to start earlier before the hardware and applications were fully ready for test.

What needs improvement?

The product is very robust and is obviously one of the front runners in the service virtualization space. Competitors have more user friendly user interfaces and some have front end systems which are easy to toggle and manipulate.

I have said many times that CA LISA is more of a technical programmer's tool, whereas their competitors are appealing both to the programmers as well as the basic user/business user/tester.

I've used it for three years.

No issues experienced.

No issues encountered.

No, as compared to competitors, studies have shown that CA seems more scalable, although for the average consumer of the products, they are all head-to-head.

While I have heard stories of varied levels of good and bad customer service from various clients, I have only experienced great support from CA.

8/10.

I have used both CA LISA as well as one of their competitors. When the competitor was chosen, it was due to overall capabilities and needs of the client, the cost, and the long term capabilities.

Their competitor offered an enterprise solution, whereas CA's costs was user-license based, and since the client wasn't sure of how many users we would scale to within a year, it was a better choice to go with the competitor.

The initial setup was easy and occurred within 1 full day, including configuration and full setup.

This was done with CA professional services and onsite training. CA provides very good support for their product, and was extremely helpful in both of the organizations where I installed the product.

When you look at pricing, it is important to understand what you specifically need. The CA LISA/Virtualization product has various types of licenses. If you go with the super user license, you get all of the access, but you have to ask yourself if you really need all of the capabilities. And even if you do, you likely only need one or two licenses. The rest can have the standard user license.

Reviewed options with Parasoft Virtualize and HP's virtualization tools.

it_user6813
Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
I've been using the product for over 5 years and especially like the VSE.

Valuable Features:

LISA VSE and Test Cases.

Improvements to My Organization:

Hybrid/Dynamic Representational Visualization Service.

Room for Improvement:

UI Testing and Reporting Features.

Use of Solution:

5+ Years

Valuable Features:

LISA VSE and Test Cases.

Improvements to My Organization:

Hybrid/Dynamic Representational Visualization Service.

Room for Improvement:

UI Testing and Reporting Features.

Use of Solution:

5+ Years

Automation Test Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
When we started using the solution we were able to deploy the application on our test environment without any dependencies or constraints.

What is most valuable?

We have a lot of different tasks to perform. We use and value all of the features CA Service Virtualization has to offer.

How has it helped my organization?

We've always had problems with test environments. A lot of time was spent on preparing that level and we found a lot of problems with the environments. This ultimately, created a lot of contraints. When we started using Service Virtualization we were able to deploy the application on our test environment without any dependencies or constraints.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we are faced with some problems, but CA Service Virtualization is a really felxible tool. When we encounter some problems or issues we just use our own method around it and move forward.

We've used this solution for about 2 years.

We did not encounter any issues with deployment. CA Service Virtualization has a lot of instructions and documentation about deployment.

The solution required a lot of CPU memory, but using enough PC OZU fixed the problems.

We didn't have any issues with scalabilty, but CA has a perfect community where all of their users can find the information needed.

We didn't have the need for technical support. Our team fixed the problems on their own.

We used a lot of other solutions, but switched to CA Service Virtualization because this one tool can cover all of our requirements.

The setup was straightforward as a result of having good documentation and a great community to reach out to for help.

Our team is certified by CA Service Virtualization.

Programmer Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to reduce our development cycle and test for defects in our product.

Valuable Features:

When we previously used CA SV we saw tremendous results, and went live with almost a 0% defect rate. We use it for Service Visualization and to run tests to validate our services response with the database.

Improvements to My Organization:

With CA SV it took 2.10 minutes as opposed to 210 minutes for a total validation per scenario. This reduced the development cycle time and provided a product with no defects from a QA perspective.

Room for Improvement:

Performance and cost.

Use of Solution:

I used it a year ago and recently started using it again.

Deployment Issues:

CA SV takes up lot of your system resources.

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Performance and cost.

Use of Solution:

I used it a year ago and recently started using it again.

Deployment Issues:

CA SV takes up lot of your system resources.

Test Automation Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Quick to set up virtual services which supports various protocols.

What is most valuable?

Virtualizing different protocols, data driving the request and response values, window to script if anything additional is needed from the virtual service.

How has it helped my organization?

Setting up a virtual service is very quick and hence is very easy to continue testing without waiting much.

What needs improvement?

The tool is growing with every release. I don't have any real concerns. Also, the development team usually prioritizes requests once they are raised with them.

2 years

No Major deployment issues.

No issues in terms of stability.

No issues with scalability of service.

9 out of 10. They are very quick in responding back with any queries.

9 out of 10. They are very quick in responding back with any technical issues or queries.

Yes, I have used similar solutions from two other vendors but love the UI, and ease of use of CA Service Virtualization.

If it's your first time using it you will face difficulties but afterwords everything is just few clicks away.

Test Automation Performance Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Service visualization for almost all types of protocols. Version 7.5.1 has many improved features compared to version 6.5 which we were previously using.

How has it helped my organization?

Has lead to cost savings and helped improve the project life cycle. Teams are more streamlined and helpful not only for testers but even for developers.

What needs improvement?

It's not really meant for Services Testing and reporting functionality from the CA SV console - it's a very basic one. I'd like to see improvements in these two areas.

6 Months

I have not experienced any deployment issues. The deployment process is really simple and straight forward. It certainly has improved in the latest version.

Not really, sometimes we face minor issues with the registry server but that is more of an environment issue. Other than that we didn't encounter any issues with stability.

Right now we're only using it for pre-production, so we haven't yet seen how it scales if we use it for production volumes.

I'm very satisfied with the tool CA has produced and the level of support they provide. I'm only a bit disappointed with the knowledge repository.

8 out of 10. Most of the issues I raised with CA support were addressed within 24 hours. Also, CA actively follows up on the open issues - I've found this to be very good.

I used SOAP UI briefly. I switched to CA SV as it has more advanced features, supports almost all types of services and moreover has better support.

I'm not aware of any issues we faced during the implementation. We have a separate environments team which did the setup for us.

We implemented through an in-house team working with the parent company. However, our environment support team actively monitors all the servers.

It really depends on various factors like the type of project and timeline of the project. Definitely ROI is a lot better then earlier projects when we didn't use virtual services.

Initial setup was done by the parent company and we are just using licenses and servers provided by the parent company.

We analyzed the tools on the market including: HP, IBM Green Hat and CA SV. Each product has its own merits but we found that CA SV is more mature and matches our requirements best so we selected it for our service virtualization needs.

What other advice do I have?

Very easy to learn and implement. Doesn't require extensive technical knowledge. Use virtual services instead of stubbed data.

it_user225759
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Our testing teams were able to complete testing ahead of schedule.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped manual and performance testing teams to complete their testing ahead of schedule.

What needs improvement?

Reporting needs to be improved for both manual and performance testing.

I've been using it for 46 months, and am currently working on setting up an environment for v8.

There were a few issues during deployment because of missing jar files.

There were issues with the older versions, until v6.1.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Very good, 8/10. Technical…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Reporting needs to be improved for both manual and performance testing.

There were a few issues during deployment because of missing jar files.

There were issues with the older versions, until v6.1.

Very good, 8/10.

Very good, 8/10.

No previous solution was used.

It's straightforward, just follow the user manual provided on the CA website.

We implemented it in-house.

Clients were able to save $700k and three million GBP in the first year of using the solution.

It took us 14 man days to set up.

No other options were considered.

What other advice do I have?

Easy to implement with lot of built-in features.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are CA partners.
Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has many built in filters which has helped us create better virtual services.

Valuable Features

Web service, MQ and IMS virtualization. The tool has many built in filters and assertions which helped us create better virtual services.

Improvements to My Organization

Due to the virtual services, the overall release cycle became shorter and it also saved us a lot of money.

Room for Improvement

IMS services in version 7.5.2 are quite unstable. Also, the Javascript step doesn't support all Java methods.

Use of Solution

6 months

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

We didn't find any issues with stability either.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

IMS services in version 7.5.2 are quite unstable.

Also, the Javascript step doesn't support all Java methods.

Use of Solution

6 months

We didn't encounter any issues with deployment.

We didn't find any issues with stability either.

Sometimes during load testing even though we have enough space on the server, CA SV is not able to handle higher loads. (We are still working on this issue. Root cause has not yet been identified.)

Customer service is good.

It's good but CA doesn't support custom extensions so we did not get much support on IMS services issues we have.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like how it only takes three steps to create the virtual service and deploy.

What is most valuable?

• Service Virtualization
  • Web Service/MQ/Database Testing
  • Selenium Integration
  • Junit Integration
  • ALM + Dev Test
  • and a long list of other features.

How has it helped my organization?

We have saved a lot of money and testing time by using CA SV. We started with Web Services and we've now covered all Mainframe, DB, MQ.

4 years

No issues with deployment.

When starting we had issue like LISA getting stuck while we were reading csv files doing performance testing.

No issues with scalability.

9/10. And we love the community.

9/10

I've worked on RIT also. It's not that easy to use and lots of things are missing. But CA SV makes it so easy. It's three steps to create the virtual service and deploy.

Initial setup was straightforward. Read the agreement and close your eyes, next... next...

In-house

What other advice do I have?

I'm looking forward to testing Devtest 8.0.2 and the new ideas. I've been impressed so far.

Service Virtualization Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
One of the main reasons we decided to go with CA SV was because of the various protocols supported.

What is most valuable?

The CAI aka Pathfinder is a great capability and will help the organization to achieve SV goals and expand the SV to different systems without many firewall changes or changes in the existing environment setup.

The financial industries have tight firewall security where introducing a new product among their existing infrastructure is not a hot cake or getting new MQs created for SV. At high-Level CAI looks like any agent-broker architecture but it does a lot in terms of Virtualization and Application Delivery Lifecycle where Dev or QA do not need to worry and do not need to depend on the environment teams to get the systems logs for triage or fix it.

Finally, last but not least CAI can also help the architects/designers to understand/generate the application flow diagram and analyse any abnormal behaviour.

How has it helped my organization?

The major ones for our organization are MQ and SOA Middleware.

We had a lot of dependency on MQ message, where CAI helped to get the MQ details and create VS out of it.

What needs improvement?

I feel a few areas can be improved, but I'm not sure if CA has already fixed these in the latest version:

1. Agents for different systems. I am not sure if existing agents can support all types of servers or systems.

2. Along with application details, can we capture network details to simulate network behavior?

3. Can we separate utility to monitor the CAI details rather than the portal, because Portal is accessible to all.

More Than 2 years now.

Yes, we had issues when we deployed into Oracle WebLogic server. .

I'd say 8 out of 10. Service is great in terms of community forms, pulse etc.

Technical documentation needs some more improvements by explaining live scenarios.

The technical support team we had for our engagement was really great, we are able to reach them and get everything done on time.

For SV no. We have not switched from any other solution, we started with LISA. The main factors why we decided to go with this tool was the capability towards virtualization and protocols supported.

It was not simple nor was is complex. To set up CA DevTest, you should know the tool and architecture very well along with his installation skills on the particular server you choose - like Unix or Linux. Firewalls and other areas are also very important.

We haven't yet measured ROI with the current implementation.

The tool was evaluated by an architect team. Yes, they had compared it with some competitive vendors such as HP and then purchased the CA license.

What other advice do I have?

I'd like to see more features integrate with the CICD pipeline via APIs or command line etc.

I'd also like better ocumentation on live scenarios with more examples etc. as mentioned earlier.

Industry Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's easy to script for protocols that CA SV doesn't provide out of the box because the solution provides various ways to do so.

What is most valuable?

• It supports virtualization for different combinations of transport and data protocols.
  • It's easy to script for protocols that CA SV doesn't provide out of the box because it provides various ways to do so. Either by using scriptable data protocol, custom Javascript step or the CA SV SDK feature. CA provides a platform to use existing plus extended features all together.
  • CA SV SDK, fllexibility to extend the tool.

How has it helped my organization?

• One stop solution to remove constraints. It supports most of the protocols used by different industries and they provide support to develop in scenarios where there is an exception.
  • Having this tool as part of the organization gives thought to how individuals can efficiently remove dependencies and reduce time to market.

What needs improvement?

• VSE Console should be more user friendly.
  • Versioning of Virtual Services as well as Projects.

2.5 years

No, but I have tried exploring IBM and HP tools but found that the ease of use, maturity and user friendliness of CA SV can't be compared.

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We were looking for a way to have teams work simultaneous instead of needing to wait for each other.

What is most valuable?

Pathfinder, VS Easy

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to implement WSDL validations in the model using the built-in assertions.

The virtual services for Stress, Volume and Performance testing for applications which reduced the cost and also eliminated the dependencies of other applications and third party software.

What needs improvement?

Not all protocols are supported, but I've heard there will be a feature in version 8 with the help of which we can create models for those scenarios as well (surely a few limitations will exist).

Sometimes, different versions of tools differ in behavior and new versions don't completely provide backwards compatibility.

Example: lack of ability to deploy a service built in LISA 7 to LISA 6 VSE using LISA 7 workstation.

When creating services with database steps, if the DB goes down the services will end and once the DB is up the services will be still be in an ended state, and a manual start will be required.

Triggering multiple requests sometimes increases the response time even though loadbalancers are used.

Customer service is very good.

Good.

We were using LISA 6, THEN upgraded to LISA 7.5 as the new features were beneficial for meeting business requirements.

Initial setup for Workstation is straightforward although setting an agent and broker for pathfinder to use recording is bit complex.

We implemented through a vendor team.

We have eliminated the complete dependency for all the backend systems for SVP (Stress,Volume and Performance). Testing using Service Virtualization saved huge amounts. Using service virtualization we have implemented a shift left concept to enable different teams to work in parallel instead of waiting for other teams to start the work, this also reduced the overall budget for the program.

A few other options were considered from Parasoft, HP and IBM.

Software Engineer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We were looking for a way to quickly spin up training environments and reduced the time for each CI cycle.

Valuable Features

Quick setup of virtual services

Creation of virtual services by simply providing XML request/response pairs

Improvements to My Organization

We have used service virtualization to quickly spin up training environments. Recently, our dev teams have started using service virtualization to improve the times of the Continuous Integration Testing (CI). Using service virtualization has reduced the time for each CI cycle from 4 - 5 hours to under 1 hour. This allows many more CI cycles to be executed per day and per sprint allowing quicker time to finding bugs, as well as faster times to promotion of builds to the test environments.

Room for Improvement

VSEasy is a nice feature but it needs to have some catches added to it to keep from inadvertently overwriting someone else's virtual service.

Use of Solution

3+ years

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

There was a memory leak in LISA 7.0.3 that would eventually require the rebooting of the memory to free back up the available memory. I have not yet been able to test DevTest 8.01 at that level to see if the memory leak still exists.

CA Support has been great for me!

Very good!

Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has saved us time in terms of the amount of time it takes to test data setup infrastructure.

Valuable Features:

Ability to virtualize webservices, MQ, JDBC

Improvements to My Organization:

We have saved a lot in terms of the time it takes to test data setup infrastructure and turn around time for testing.

Room for Improvement:

As of today, none of the Microsoft technologies are supported.

Use of Solution:

2 Years

Customer Service is swift and tries to get to the bottom of the issue. Most issues are solved within two days.

Initial Setup:

Initial set up might be a bit complex, especially when you are going with an enterprise level setup. However it is a one time effort and is very smooth afterwords.

Valuable Features:

Ability to virtualize webservices, MQ, JDBC

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

As of today, none of the Microsoft technologies are supported.

Use of Solution:

2 Years

Automation QA Specialist at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for middleware testing, not as much for front end testing.

What is most valuable?

Supports lots of middleware technologies. Good virtualization tool.

What needs improvement?

They can improve their front end testing features.

6+ years

We once faced issues when we moved from 4.2 to 4.7 or 5. They completely changed the UI and their is very little support for backward compatibility.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Good.

What is most valuable?

Supports lots of middleware technologies. Good virtualization tool.

What needs improvement?

They can improve their front end testing features.

6+ years

Excellent.

Good.

I like working with the CA Service Virtualization product, so I'll stick with it. Given a chance I would like to work on Parasoft and Green Hat as well.

I've been using CA Service Virtualization for the last 6 years, I am quite happy with the performance and how it developed over the years. Unlike other tools, the set up of CA Service Virtualization is quite easy and self-explanatory.

We implemented using a vendor team which was very talented.

Green Hat and Parasoft.

What other advice do I have?

The features are really good in the middleware testing world. It supports lots of technologies. I would strongly recommend this tool for Automation and Virtualization. It's a good tool for QA developers.

it_user112830
Performance Test Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps to reduce the environment contention with other downstream testing teams.

What is most valuable?

Service Virtualization

How has it helped my organization?

We use CA Service Virtualization to stub out various downstream systems, it helps to reduce the environment contention with other downstream testing teams.

What needs improvement?

Load & Performance Testing. It is not as good as other tools like HP Performance Center, SilkPerformer, etc.

2 years

No issues with deployment.

No, it is pretty stable. It can handle 400tps on our server.

No, it was expanded to support multiple teams.

I never contacted the customer service.

I never contacted the technical support.

Yes, we previously used other solutions but switched to CA Service Virtualization because it supports more protocols. We were looking at SoupUI but it only supports web services while CA Service Virtualization supports mainframe and other protocols.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup but I heard we had some issues with building SSL services initially.

In-house

it_user108438
Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We evaluated HP and CA but found HP to be behind in it's capability compared to CA Service Virtualization..

What is most valuable?

The ability to virtualize test environments. This allows us to test on an environment without having to wait for time windows, thus eliminating a bottleneck in a traditional shared test system.

How has it helped my organization?

It eliminates bottlenecks in the test system sharing.

What needs improvement?

It is complex technology which takes a high end skillset to set up. You are very dependent on consultants from CA or a small subset of CA partners to implement CA Service Virtualization in the beginning. The training offered by CA is also not up to par. It is not realistic to expect that you can purchase CA Service Virtualization, send a couple of folks to CA training, and get yourself up an running with CA Service Virtualization environments without outside help.

I've been using CA Service Virtualization for more than three years

Yes, we had to thoroughly train and vet the engineers that we hired as CA Service Virtualization consultants. We were partners with ITKO, the original developer of CA Service Virtualization, prior to CA acquiring them. The ITKO development team worked closely with us for more than 6 months to get the team ready. Finding the right skillset was key, plus investing the time to train them properly. In the end we built a lab and the successful engineers gained experience through practice.

No, the product is very reliable.

No, the product allows for great scalability.

I would rate customer service from CA to be very low AFTER you have purchased the software. They are great before you buy, and disappear afterwards. However, I will caveat this by saying the CA Tech support for Service Virtualization is very good. Just don't expect any warm and fuzzy customer service.

We had a fairly mature testing consulting practice for more than ten years based on Mercury's platform (Quality Center, now owned by HP). We still use Quality Center extensively and have added CA Service Virtualization to our 'tool bag'. We did not purchase CA Service Virtualization as a replacement for any product we were using. We viewed CA Service Virtualization as a game changer, giving us the ability to add test environment virtualization in order to reduce test cycles for our clients.

It was very complex initially, once you have one or two people on board that gain experience setting up environments, you will eventually be self sufficient. Expect to use outside professional services for the initial implementation though. Don't let the vendor's sales people convince you to buy just the software, some training and "starter pack" services. The services and training will not be enough. A more realistic approach is to rent qualified engineers for the first project or two where you are going to leverage CA Service Virtualization. Send your own staff to training and have them work alongside the consultants for these initial projects. after a project or two, your team will become self sufficient.

Initially we learned through the vendor, which took 6 months and was expensive. The ITKO team was very good. However, many of them left CA after the acquisition. There are a couple of partners in the CA channel who are also very good.

It is hard to put a dollar figure on it. If you have multiple large development efforts and are sharing common test environments, CA Service Virtualization is a huge benefit because you don't have to schedule your testing based on when the test system is available. However, if you are a smaller shop with one development team who works serially, CA Service Virtualization is overkill.

This varies greatly across several clients. CA will offer a fairly good discount because they are motivated to sell right now. The consulting rates can be high, because the population of skilled, available CA Service Virtualization engineers is very small.

HP has it's own approach to test virtualization which we evaluated at the same time we evaluated CA Service Virtualization, but we found it to be behind in it's capability compared to CA Service Virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Work closely with a CA partner in their Service Virtualization channel to get your in house resources ramped up on CA Service Virtualization. Expect this to take time and require investment in professional services, training and mentoring.

it_user104985
Solution Consultant at a reseller with 51-200 employees
If you need stubs for development/testing it's a great tool but make sure you have a solid business case before deciding

Valuable Features

The new version of LISA (6 and higher) has an auto generator for stubs based on WSDL, WADL, messages request-response pairs etc.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a reseller of this product so this isn't really relevant for me, but our customers use our stubs for deployment of their real production applications.

Use of Solution

3 years

Deployment of stubs has been improved in the latest version and has become very easy.

Customer Service: CA is a great company who deliver great service to their customers as well as to us as a Partner.Technical Support: CA has a great technical support team who really take control of a problem until it is solved.

Setup is not too complicated. You do…

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

3 years

Setup is not too complicated. You do need to follow the course before starting to develop stubs though.

Other Advice

If you need stubs to help your development/testing this could be a great tool for you.
it_user104976
Software Engineer with 10,001+ employees
We analyzed CA, HP & IBM service virtualization and found that CA LISA is more mature and suites our requirement best

What is most valuable?

Virtualization and Functional testing.

How has it helped my organization?

The product made a huge impact in the market which includes many solutions which offer virtualization, performance testing, pathfinder, and functional testing. Development and testing became faster. It improved CSR and ROI's for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The product is supported by custom extension coding. On the virtualization front, RIT (IBM) supports more protocols however it's not as user friendly as CA LISA. It would be great to see a new protocol which supports legacy feature.

3 years

For Virtualization, when the file size is too large (more than 1 GB) it takes more time for deployment and some times the tool hangs. We came up with ant utility to perform the deployment.

Only if the proper system requirements are not followed.

I have found that CA's customer support is good.

I would rate CA's technical support with 4 out of 5 stars.

We weren't previously using another solution but after analyzing various options we directly selected CA LISA.

Setup is straightforward, you just need to follow the installation guide.

We analyzed the tools on the market including: HP, IBM RIT and CA LISA. Each product has its own merits but we found that CA LISA is more mature and suites our requirement best so we selected it for our service virtualization needs.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, try it out.

Technical Consultant at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We used CA Service Virtualization to overcome performance, availability, and data constraints

Valuable Features:

CA Service Virtualization (Virtualize) has been used to a greater degree, and Test has been used to a certain extent. The clients I have worked for purchased CA Service Virtualization with the primary goal of virtualizing web service calls to a specific back-end functions that faced constraints (performance, availability, and/or data constraints). By using CA Service Virtualization (Virtualize), they were able to overcome the stated limitations.

Improvements to My Organization:

In the performance test of a middleware application, we were able to run a much higher load with CA Service Virtualization which some of the real endpoints cannot handle.

• By achieving this, you can better measure and get the performance throughputs of the System under test (SUT), as well as, narrow down the bottlenecks with a greater precision of the SUT.
  • In one of the environments, we needed a 24/7 application availability, which was not realized when the middleware application was pointed to the real backend. This was due to one or more of the real backend being down on a consistent basis. Pointing to CA Service Virtualization services, this goal was almost achieved.
  • Eliminating the test data constraints: When testing against various backend, sometimes you need to test with a specific test data (such as a valid Credit Card number) or your test data needs to go through a series of validations in order to get a good response from a subsequent web service request. Using CA Service Virtualization validate, this constraint is no longer an issue.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for a little more than 2 years now.

Deployment Issues:

We had issues in the support for virtualization of JDBC connectivity. Also, using Java Agent virtualization was a maintenance overhead in an earlier version of CA Service Virtualization. I am not certain if this has been improved in the current version.

Initial Setup:

It was very straightforward.

Implementation Team:

We initially used CA consultants to extend their product to handle some of the data protocols that could not be handled out of the box. The CA consultants did help in doing the initial setup. After they were done, we were able to spread the services and increase the scope of usage on our own.

Other Advice:

Without trying other products in the service virtualize space, I feel very comfortable working with this product. It does its job well, is not difficult to use and grasp, and the support is very good. I would definitely recommend this product!

it_user5154
User at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Virtualize and Test, allow Dev teams to provide much higher quality code

Valuable Features:

Test - service layer component testing automation) Virtualize - the best mocking/stubbing tool I've ever seen, allows for easier data management

Room for Improvement:

With Service Virtualization being a newer concept and market, there is a lack of high quality/experienced resources available across the board for any of the tools (as of mid 2013)...with that said, a good developer can come up to speed fairly quickly with this tool.

Other Advice:

Can't wait to see the integration w/ Shunra, Nolio and Grid Tools in the near future!

Valuable Features:

Test - service layer component testing automation)

Other Advice:

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: This review was published in 2013 before I began working for the vendor (CA Technologies).
it_user5877
CIO at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very easy to create virtual services for test/dev. Needs more integration into non-CA test suites.

Valuable Features:

Very easy to create virtual services for test, Dev and training environments. Allows service creation by recording transactions or by loading WSDL.

Room for Improvement:

Further integration into non-CA test suites will be beneficial.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Further integration into non-CA test suites will be beneficial.