BrowserStack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BrowserStack is the #15 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Perfecto: BrowserStack vs Perfecto

What is BrowserStack?
BrowserStack is a cloud-based cross-browser testing tool that enables developers to test their websites across various browserson different operating systems and mobile devices, without requiring users to install virtual machines, devices or emulators.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

BrowserStack Customers
Microsoft, RBS, jQuery, Expedia, Citrix, AIG
BrowserStack Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BrowserStack pricing:
  • "This solution costs less than competing products."
  • "The price is fine."

BrowserStack Reviews

KenBailey
QA Engineer at Projekt202
Test against a huge range of device and browser combinations but expect some connectivity issues

• "Testing across devices and browsers without maintaining that inventory is invaluable."
  • "The product guides and resources are extensive and very helpful."
  • "Local testing for products with no public exposure is an advantage in development."
  • "Connectivity can sometimes mar the testing experience."

What is our primary use case?

A lot of times we use BrowserStack because we provide QA services to our clients as part of a bigger solution. We do software consulting. We use it to test across mobile devices — actual mobile devices — so that we do not have to maintain our own collection of devices. Trying to do that would be just crazy for us because there are so many devices and so many potential combinations. We test against different combinations of operating systems, browsers, and versions of browsers. For example, we continue to test IE 11, even though that is painful for a lot of our development team. Unfortunately, we still have to support it for a lot of clients. We use BrowserStack for cross-browser testing to assure compatibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to test our development against a huge range of product combinations that we could not realistically maintain in house. It really adds to our core capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Just the ability to test across devices is probably the most valuable feature. For example, a website that we might be building out has to be responsive. Our initial design may work on some devices, but then in testing with BrowserStack we find that it does not work on all of them. So it reveals what we need to include in recommendations for our clients. From a practical standpoint, that could be letting them know what devices we might want to support or not support any longer.

The other thing that we had to do — because some clients have their test environment secured — is to use the product's local testing abilities as a workaround. That feature lets you test web and mobile apps without hosting them on publicly. To be able to do that and provide the workaround is a pretty good feature.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes connectivity can be a problem. We will be in the middle of testing and we will lose connectivity sometimes. That is the biggest issue that I have seen. That is a stability issue within BrowserStack, not an issue with services.

I have thought about features I would like to see included in the next release of the BrowserStack. I do not know if it is even possible to support this or not. Being able to test GPS within applications would be useful for us. What I mean by that is being able to do real-time testing based on your location. I do not know if BrowserStack could support that in emulations in a future release. Being able to emulate GPS positions during testing would be valuable for what we do and the clients we serve. For example, if we are doing something and need to do QA for a rideshare or delivery service the GPS testing would come into play.

I have been dealing with BrowserStack for about four years.

Overall, I think the stability is good. It is a tried and true product. I think they are the leader in this category of products. Part of it is the price. The other part of the reason they are leading is because of the performance. We have had some issues with the connectivity, which is a stability problem, but it is not generally an issue.

I believe this product is quite scalable. One thing we have not done with our version of BrowserStack is to use it for automated testing yet. Because we are using a client's solution for a particular job I am working on, we are going to be using Perfecto in that case. Both Perfecto and BrowserStack offer the ability to perform automated testing across devices. So that is something we are definitely going to be checking into with some interest in the near future and that is another way to scale usage.

Our company has a lot of different clients. With the particular one that I am assigned to, we are going to be building additional teams if everything goes well. It is a large client, or it has the potential to be a very large client. With that in mind, we are looking to add more teams and that would include using additional QA resources. As we build that up right now, we are willing to make important decisions. What we are using will need to be scalable when we add more users. Whatever we need to do over the next two or three years to meet those demands is what we are going to do.

So far when I have had an issue, I have been able to go into BrowserStack's online documentation resource and find the answers pretty clearly. Because of that, I have not had to contact tech support. I think their knowledge base is pretty extensive.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy to follow the product guides and set it up properly.

They have different pricing plans for BrowserStack. We are looking to grow our presence with a particular client quite a bit. With that in mind, we are going to be adding a lot more teams and users so we looked into competitive pricing. For BrowserStack, the pricing for 25 users is similar to the pricing for 10 users on Perfecto. At the end of the day, our cost per user would be significantly higher using Perfecto versus BrowserStack. I can not say what the exact price is. BrowserStack is an expensive solution as well, but it is certainly a more cost-effective solution than competing products. The price per user license is lower. At least that is what we are seeing.

We have not actually done it yet but we are going to be working in a situation where a client already has Perfecto and we will be using that for testing for a product. It will be a great opportunity to check into the product differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone looking into BrowserStack and products like it is to really do some research into the products you want to use. Our company looked to our team of QA personnel to evaluate other products. At the end of the day, they came back and said that most of the competing products in the category did not meet all the needs we have. BrowserStack continues to be the leader as far as meeting the needs of our QA team.

During the research, we looked for reports on the review sites, the recommendations people were making, and whatever feedback we could find from real users. Certainly, it is important for us to try and be exhaustive in researching before we make any recommendation and the investment that goes along with committing to a product. We have to make sure the product is going to absolutely meet our needs. We do not want to waste time picking the wrong product for the job.

From the research that we did, I was looking to see the overall percentages of recommendations. I think BrowserStack showed that it was more widely used across the industry than Perfecto. I think they are both similar offerings, but BrowserStack systems just seem to be the clear, popular choice. A lot of that is probably just that their pricing model is more favorable.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the BrowserStack as probably a seven-out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Shekhar Kapil
Team Lead at Nagarro
Easy to set up and has good stability

• "The setup was quite simple. The website easily explains how to set it up and if you want to integrate it with BMP tools there are online simple step tutorials."
  • "I would like for there to be more integration with BrowserStack and other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We switched to BrowserStack because we didn't have enough devices so we moved to a cloud-based solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like for there to be more integration with BrowserStack and other platforms. One of our clients had Ranorex which is a solution that has a problem with automation on regional devices. It also provides record and play functionalities. Our client proposed integration with BrowserStack but it's not available. I would like for both web applications to be linked. There should be a solution for mobile-based automation.

It's very stable.

I have contacted technical support two or three times. They are good but I don't understand the hierarchy. They initially answer with some documentation and then they escalate it. There should be the option to schedule a call with them because people can't always find the solution through the documentation. I would like for them to have direct calls with their clients.

The setup was quite simple. The website easily explains how to set it up and if you want to integrate it with BPM tools there are online simple step tutorials.

The deployment takes around two weeks.

For small scale projects with 200-500 test cases involved, it is costly. But if it's a large project then it is much cheaper than purchasing real devices.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten considering how easy it is to set up.

They should improve the query resolution.

It is a good tool. We have multiple products that use it for automation.

Find out what your peers are saying about BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, SmartBear and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YH
NA
Flexible with a fast and easy setup but needs better integration with frameworks

• "It just added some flexibility. There was nothing that improved our coding standards, etc. because all of our UIs were functional before we tried it."
  • "Adding better integration with frameworks, particularly testing frameworks like Robot, would be of more value to customers and make their jobs easier."

What is our primary use case?

We were testing it as a user interface on various systems which we manage.

How has it helped my organization?

It just added some flexibility. There was nothing that improved our coding standards, etc. because all of our UIs were functional before we tried it.

What is most valuable?

If you ask me feature-wise, I don't think I have tested all the features there—around 40 to 60 percent— nor I was interested in doing do that because the trial was so short. However, there were a few devices that we did not want to procure but we found them within BrowserStack architecture when we tried it out. More than a feature, it was the hardware support that we were able to get through the interfaces. This helped us address a very rare requirement that had come up within our end customer's stack.

What needs improvement?

Adding better integration with frameworks, particularly testing frameworks like Robot, would be of more value to customers and make their jobs easier.

I only used it for about two weeks during a 14-day trial period about four or five months ago.

This at least gave us good stability and the results that we saw were quite reasonable enough.

It was easy enough. Because I come from an IT background and have done deployments of many solutions, it was quite simple. It didn't take more than 10-15 minutes on that day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BrowserStack a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Alejandro Garduno
Quality Assurance Lead at ZX-Ventures
A cloud web and mobile testing platform with full device capability

What is our primary use case?

We're building two products at the same time. We're building web pages and building Android and iOS applications. After the building stage, we're going to translate it to automation. But right now, we're testing and proving tools to understand which one will work best in the future.

What is most valuable?

I like that it offers full device capability.

What needs improvement?

Customer support could be better. We tried to implement and explore this product with the vendor or reseller's help, but we haven't had any good response about the product.

The initial setup and configuration of this product are easy.

The price is fine.

Which other solutions did I

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like that it offers full device capability.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and configuration of this product are easy.

The price is fine.

Sauce Labs and BrowserStack are very similar

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give BrowserStack a nine.