CA Automic Service Orchestration [EOL} OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA Automic Service Orchestration [EOL}?

Service orchestration enables organizations to extract the most value from their investments in people and technology. Because time spent waiting for a service request means wasted money and lost opportunity.

Service orchestration can intelligently automate the sometimes complex sequence of tasks required to deliver a service. Whether those tasks need to be executed on-premises or in the cloud, on virtual or physical systems, or even using leading-edge technologies like microservices or containers, service orchestration ensures that those tasks are executed accurately and efficiently. This maximizes productivity and enables businesses to move at digital speeds.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

CA Automic Service Orchestration [EOL} Video

Archived CA Automic Service Orchestration [EOL} Reviews (more than two years old)

JR
Solution Consultant at a tech services company
Reseller
Provides a reduction of headcount and run through time

• "It provides a simple reduction of headcount and also a reduction of run through time."
  • "The product is stable. This is the reason that we are using Automic, in some cases, because of its stability and features."
  • "If I have a higher workload with smaller machines, it is easy to increase everything."
  • "What I am missing today is robotics. If Automic would like to stay as one of the biggest automation engines on the market, they have to find an option with a robotics solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for service orchestration. It is hard to divide it between service orchestration and workflow automation, because on the base, it is the same. On the base, you schedule things. Most customers are using it purely as workload automation, but some of our customers start using it as a service orchestration, more on the infrastructure level. That means they deploy infrastructure units via Automic.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The automation:

• All the steps can be done automatically, when they need clear feedback (return codes).
  • We need to know why a task was successful or not, which is provided.
  • They have automatic recovery actions, normally.
  • It goes towards more direct run book automation. They will have a picture that they can automate, providing clear feedback.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, we need clearer, more open RPSs. As an example, they need to go forward with risk RPSs. There needs to be features with more direction towards microservices, so we can have more modules which are usable. Over time, the whole Automic engine will be more complex as it is now. It will become harder to operate. Therefore, I don't like to see too many features in one engine, like more modules with options.

What I am missing today is robotics. If Automic would like to stay as one of the biggest automation engines on the market, they have to find an option with a robotics solution.

The product is stable. This is the reason that we are using Automic, in some cases, because of its stability and features.

The scalability does not matter to our customer because we do the solution for them, and we see that it is scalable.

• I can use it and increase the agents; simply, control more clients.
  • If I have a higher workload with smaller machines, it is easy to increase everything.
  • I can easily manage and double the workload.

Technical support was okay. The support needs to improve their knowledge. It is really ugly if you call someone for support, and that person does not have the same level of knowledge as you, but is expected to support you.

It is straightforward. However, there is the normal transition transformation task, which will be complex, but all our projects are mostly on time and on budget. In these cases, the same people who operate the system on their end are also responsible for the planning of the transition transformation. Thus, the process is totally smooth.

From our clients, "We have reduced headcounts since the beginning by around 30 to 40 percent." and "We are much faster using the service orchestration and saving by a factor of 10 or more."

I am a consultant in this area. We normally go in checking which task needs to be done. We see the available tools on the market, then select one based on:

1. Features
  2. Price
  3. Do we already have an existing delivery unit which can handle the tool?

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Automic.

HS
System Consultant Process Automation at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Automation of job object creation increased the quality and quantity of our job requests

• "Jobs are planned automatically to eliminate the need to plan them manually. It also saves us effort because there is no need to create job objects manually."
  • "In the last two years or so, Automic has not invested as much in the product as we would have expected."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an orchestration management tool. We use it for requesting jobs for UC4. There should be other use cases for this product, but as we have a very small team (only three people), our possibilities are very limited.

The performance is fine. However, we have had some issues because there have been technical changes, and the tool is not supporting them at the moment.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Automic for job requests. We have automated the process, so job objects in UC4 are automatically created. In the past, we used automatic planning to ease job planning; they were done automatically in the system. At the moment, we have stopped doing this, but we want to use this method in the future again to completely automate and ease scheduling.

It has definitely had an impact on our efficiency. Jobs are planned automatically to eliminate the need to plan them manually. It also saves us effort because there is no need to create job objects manually.

Although, I am not aware if any of our competitors are using this solution, it gives us a good advantage over them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its connection to the UC4 product.

What needs improvement?

We are hoping some features that were available in the past will become available again. I believe they are on the roadmap and are in the pipeline, so we hope they will be available again during the year.

The stability is fine.

We have not needed to scale, but we know, for example, that Bosch also uses this product. They have a much bigger installation. I am confident that we could scale, if needed.

At the beginning, technical support was quite good.

However, since then, it has not been so good. For example, at the beginning of last year, we were very unsatisfied with product support. At that time, there were several bugs in the system. Contacting support and developers behind the front-line support was difficult. It was hard to get a WebEx session to have them look at issues.

At the moment, the support is getting better again, so hopefully, it will continue this way.  Although, it is getting better, I would rate technical support a six out of 10.

Before this, we had a Notes database with many free text fields. We decided to switch because the data quality was not very good in the system. There was also no interaction with UC4 to check if the selected information was valid for the scheduling process.

We needed the ability to directly check against UC4: To know the naming was okay, the naming existed, etc.

At first, there was a bigger time investment to implement standards in UC4, including the naming conventions and so on.

The initial setup was done by Levatis, the previous vendor from whom Automic bought the product.

The value for us is that we have increased the quality and quantity of the requests and handling them is much easier than before.

We did not evaluate other options. I believe we saw it at the Automic World conference. Then, we found out that Bosch had started using this software. That is what made us decide to go with it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product itself is a 10 out of 10. The product itself is really good. It creates a lot of possibilities. Automic has a lot of possible use cases, like onboarding people over the system, and the best are requesting of scheduling and using the system.

Product Categories
Process Automation
Download our free Process Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Pega, Appian, and more!