CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS?
Database Management for DB2 for z/OS solutions from CA Technologies provide a set of tools designed to ensure optimal database and SQL performance, efficient administration, and reliable backup and recovery of DB2 databases, systems and apps.

CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS is also known as CA Database Management Solutions for DB2 for z/OS.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Customers
Blue Hill Data Services
CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Video

Archived CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user851856
Information Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides us better insight into our tables and our databases

• "It takes advantage of new features of DB2."

What is our primary use case?

It's our DBA product for our database.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us better insight into our tables and our databases. It pulls all of the information from different directions back together, I think that's how it helps us.

What is most valuable?

Detector and Query. We use Detector for problem determination and Query, all day, to determine information about our tables and databases.

Also, it takes advantage of new features of DB2.

Three to five years.

Nine out of 10.

Nine out of 10.

10 out of 10.

We did use a different solution, DBA Expert, and we switched because it was not compatible with the new release of DB2.

It was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. I would give it a nine out of 10, and the reason is, in general, it's a technical product so I think that it's a little cumbersome.

it_user817764
    SOD Application DB2 DBA at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides accurate reports of components usage, helps tune performance

• "The most important features are batch reporting and the ability to create repositories, enabling automated analysis. These are valuable because they enable me to do automated analysis of trends over time and reduce the time for comparing performance between two periods to identify anomalies."
    • "They need to provide a way to create and maintain performance repositories. The online tool is not perfect, but it is giving me what I need."

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring performance in test and production DB2 systems.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides accurate reports of components usage; helps tune performance.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features. I would say the most important are batch reporting and the ability to create repositories, enabling automated analysis. These are valuable because they enable me to do automated analysis of trends over time and reduce the time for comparing performance between two periods to identify anomalies.

What needs improvement?

I think CA is working on performance repositories; we use our own tools as an extension. They need to provide a way to create and maintain performance repositories. The online tool is not perfect, but it is giving me what I need.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent.

The solution was installed before I started working here.

What other advice do I have?

Very good and robust product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, DBmaestro, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: October 2021.
    542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    it_user793626
    Mainframe DB2 Technical Specialist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Streamlines our monitoring and performance management

How has it helped my organization?

Improved monitoring and performance management.

What is most valuable?

It depends on the environment. For some customers some products are more valuable than others. For sure SYSVIEW, CA Detector and RC/ products.

What needs improvement?

Minor stability issues.

Excellent.

BMC and IBM tools for DB2.

I don’t know.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved monitoring and performance management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Minor stability issues.

Excellent.

BMC and IBM tools for DB2.

I don’t know.

it_user790482
    Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Detector and RC/Query are valuable to us; we're able to research issues

How has it helped my organization?

Able to research issues.

What is most valuable?

I would say Detector and RC/Query.  The DBAs might say differently.  I use these the most.

What needs improvement?

They could work on the installation process main job that runs, maybe break it up into several jobs instead of one.

Excellent.

We switched to the IBM tools for a short time and switched back, due to contract pricing.

Pretty straightforward. …

How has it helped my organization?

Able to research issues.

Pretty straightforward.

I was not involved.

What other advice do I have?

Research to determine if this product resolves your top five issues.

it_user779067
    Staff Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It is a very useful tool for performance monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use it for performance analysis and troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to reduce hardware costs and to optimize processing times.

What is most valuable?

It tracks the activity at a detail level.

What needs improvement?

Trend analysis. All the information we need, we could use to have it in a more usable format.

It is very stable. We have had no issues.

It is very scalable.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very useful tool for performance monitoring.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for performance analysis and troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to reduce hardware costs and to optimize processing times.

What is most valuable?

It tracks the activity at a detail level.

What needs improvement?

Trend analysis.

All the information we need, we could use to have it in a more usable format.

It is very stable. We have had no issues.

It is very scalable.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very useful tool for performance monitoring.

it_user639690
    Systemsprogrammer and Administrator for DB2 at a insurance company
    PDA and PPA prevent unnecessary reorganizations.

What is most valuable?

PDA and PPA make our daily housekeeping easier and prevents us from unnecessary reorganizations. It is a tool that can also be used by those that don’t have much knowledge

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to automate all of our housekeeping.

What needs improvement?

I look forward to the application of these tools to all platforms in use, such as z/OS, Unix, and Windows.

I would like to have the possibility, so as to have access from my host tool, for instance to Unix. By way of this example, I use RC/Query to find objects (such as tablespaces, tables, etc.) on the host and also, in Unix. On the Main panel of the tools, there is one field called location and there I want to choose, if the information I get is from the host or Unix.

I have used this solution for about 25 years.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

I would rate technical very high.

We did not have a previous solution.

Setup was easy.

We compared BMC and at that time, Platinum; today, CA.

What other advice do I have?

It is quick to install, easy to keep it up to date and easy to use.

it_user651528
    DB2 consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The exceptions function checks for stopped databases.

What is most valuable?

The biggest functionality for me was with SYSVIEW for DB2. I used all the functions but exceptions and possible monitoring related to it.

I left the company when we started implementing v19 and I know from my colleague that in v19, they implement the exceptions function I asked for, which checks for stopped databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the DB2 v11 upgrade process, so I was able to check more and react faster to problems we observed such as required rebinds.

What needs improvement?

The vendor reacts to my requests and implements our requirements, which is a benefit of contacting the developers in Prague directly.

I have used the solution for four years including version upgrades.

We had no issues with stability. Everything was working perfectly with DB2 v10 and v11 after the upgrade.

We had no issues with scalability but our systems are not so large. For this amount of customers and systems, it worked almost perfectly (more than 80 LPARs).

About eight out of the ten issues we had were resolved in less than a week.

Only one issue was not resolved but this was because the customer did not agree to send data which the vendor asked for as it was user-sensitive data but without this, a full investigation was not possible. The customer agreed with this.

We also evaluated BMC. CA solutions were cheaper.

In the beginning, we had the possibility to compare solutions and a whole replacement was easier.

You should check the prices over the whole license period and make a future agreement; for example, adding information about a maximum price for a future new contract after replacement. The second contract probably will not be so good like the first one.

We evaluated IBM, BMC and CA.

What other advice do I have?

Check if you have any written procedures and how complicated they are. Our own written procedures delayed the whole project from six months to more than a year.

it_user638691
    Database Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Insight and Detector show what is going on in your subsystem. They help in problem solving and in performance and tuning tasks.

What is most valuable?

RC/Query is vital. It is my window to the catalog and helps me find what I need quickly and efficiently. I am in that tool all day long. Detector is my go-to product when something goes wrong. Never trust what someone tells you has happened with their query; let Detector show you. Insight and Detector both provide valuable insight (pun intended) into what is really going on in your subsystem, and has been invaluable in both problem solving and performance and tuning tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Display Impact report in RC/Query as part of our database development life cycle process to make sure that we account for all items that might be affected by any particular change. We have used Detector in countless situations to pinpoint performance issues quickly. We have used Insight to identify the users of particular items and to identify hot spots on our systems. We have used Log Analyzer to recover data lost in errant production jobs. We use the DDL function of RC/Query to give us our baseline and backout text for all database changes. Those are just a few of the tasks that we use these tools for.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I find that some of the tasks are not intuitive, such as using PF3 to continue with a screen progression rather than using PF3 to back out. I have had more difficulty navigating through CA’s documentation than with other vendors, although there have been improvements lately.

I have used these tools for over 12 years.

These tools have had their share of bugs. We are currently working through some issues right now. I suggest not being an early adopter of new releases.

There have not been scalability issues in my experience.

I don’t deal directly with CA tech support. We have other teams that do that. But from my experience, CA has been responsive on the issues I have seen.

I am not in a decision-making position and have not been involved in any switch other than from IBM’s QMF to CA Report Facility. That particular conversion was driven by the cost of the IBM’s QMF.

I don’t install the products.

I am not involved in pricing or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

If you want your DBA and programming staff to be efficient and effective, I recommend these tools.

BB
    Compliance Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it to migrate tables between systems. The detector and subsystem analyzer are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

• The RC/Migrator: Migrates tables between systems
    • The Detector and Subsystem Analyzer: Monitors the system

How has it helped my organization?

We have more control over our DB2 systems and can do our everyday DBA work faster and easier.

What needs improvement?

There are many good features that we don't use. It would be nice to have some video tutorials on YouTube.

Some examples of the features that we don't use are:

• How to use collection profiles in CA Detector, so as to reduce the amount of data in datastore.

• Best practices for using Thread Terminator.

• View and terminate SQL trace application.

• ISQL online SQL execution.

We have been using this solution for eighteen years.

Version 19 is very stable. We don't have any problems in production.

We did not have any issues with scalability.

The technical support is excellent! They answer very fast. The issue is usually solved the same day when it is opened.

The initial setup is complex. There are many parameters that you don't necessarily know what they mean. But once the product is running, you can easily migrate to new versions.

I was not involved in the pricing or licensing.

We evaluated the IBM DB2 Administration Tool and OMEGAMON.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. Take time to learn all the features that you need.

it_user481251
    Senior Database Administrator at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
    The most useful feature is the ability to create strategies across the products.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most useful is the consistent ability to create 'strategies’ across the products. These strategies allow consistent foundations for the business processes and provide the ability to repetitively use them by different resources. These 'strategies' allow the establishment of methods that fit directly into our business needs and prepare the DBAs how to best handle the situations.

How has it helped my organization?

The best example is the day-to-day performance monitoring with the CA Detector product.

By using CA Detector, we can see what is consuming the IBM DB2 resources. We can then analyze its specifics and address distinct actions, through the integration with the other products.

This has improved our overall business goals, because we were able to address the most impactful business processes, so as to mitigate their impact on the others.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup parameters are quite exhaustive and some parameters cross with the products.

Hence, getting the parameters set to meet our needs and then sync them across the products took significant time and effort.

We got the twelfth license with Platinum Technology, who originally created this product. We have had it in-house, since the late 1980s and have kept it through the vendor changes and re-evaluations.

We have not had any stability issues. Since we have had this suite for so long, the areas where the instabilities usually crop up have long ago been flagged and prepared for beforehand.

We have not experienced any scalability issues. We have had a stable z/OS Server environment for some time.

The technical support is very good! It does depend on the product, but across the array of products in the suite, the support is consistent and very responsive.

We evaluated several product suites at the beginning, but this was the one that we first purchased and we have stuck with it.

The initial setup here was phased over time, for the whole product suite. The installation itself is fairly complicated because of the array of products, although they have it documented in a straightforward manner.

The complexity comes from the customization that is required for each of the products. This is so it will work as we require it to, across all the facets of the IBM DB2 solution.

Work for an overall solution. Competing product suites seem to serve the same functions. But it is the overall integration of all the products that meets our needs and makes this suite so beneficial to our business.

In the late 1980s, there were only two solutions namely Platinum Technology and BMC, who provided additional functions and front-end support for the IBM DB2 utility work.

We looked at both options and took the Platinum solution, after budget negotiations.

The DBAs measured that both the products were quite comparative and either of them would have met the business needs at the time.

When IBM got into the game, we re-evaluated products across a number of vendors and decided to stay with the CA Suite.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the CA resources at the conferences! They provide good access to their technical support and many times at their events as well. They even have a very good one-on-one discourse.

it_user558543
    Senior DB2 Database Specalist at HCSC
    CA utilities are faster and use fewer resources. RC/Migrator allows us to make changes quickly.

What is most valuable?

The ability to do the CA utilities faster than IBM using less resources. I also like the RC/Migrator product that allows us to make changes quickly and efficiently using either the IBM utilities or the CA utilities.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits is repeatability of use. I can do a change in one environment and use that same change to do it to another environment. It allows reliable changes.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the product to support the open systems. However, I don't think that's coming.

The products work really well, but there are a couple of minor things that you have to learn to get around.

The product has been fairly stable for the last couple of years. It has a high learning curve for some of the traditional DBAs who don't want to venture from IBM.

The product works for some of the smallest changes or for some of the largest environmental changes.

I have used tech support. I'd give them, most of them, about an eight. I know most of them personally.

We were using BMC utilities, and we ran into some marketing and licensing issues. When we thought of changing vendors, we were interested in reliability and partnership. The vendors were IBM and Computer Associates, and Computer Associates had a more complete solution for what we needed to get done.

I was involved in the setup and it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would give them some sample jobs to actually to run in scenarios to see how well CA does them compared to some of the other vendors.

it_user481251
    Senior Database Administrator at a local government with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The feature we find most useful is the consistent ability to create ‘strategies’ across the products that allow for consistent foundations for the business processes and the ability to repetitively use them by different resources. These strategies allow for the establishment of methods that fit directly into our business needs and preps the DBAs as we need to best handle situations.

How has it helped my organization?

The best example is the day to day performance monitoring with the Detector product. Using Detector, we can see what is consuming the DB2 resources and then analyze its specifics through the integration with the other products. This improved our business processing because we were able to address the most impactful ones to mitigate their impact on the others.

What needs improvement?

The initial set up of parameters is quite exhaustive and some parameters cross products. Getting the parameters set to meet our need and then set in sync across products took significant time and effort.

We were the twelve license with Platinum who created the product so we have had a variation of it in house since the late 1980’s

Since we have had this suite for so long, and the areas where instabilities might crop up have been long flagged and prepared for.

That is not really relevant here because we have had a stable z/Server environment for some time.

It depends on the product, but across the array of products in the Suite, support has been consistently very good.

We evaluated several product suites, but this was the one we first purchased and we have stuck with it.

The install is fairly complicated because of the array of products though they have it documented as being very straightforward. The complexity comes from the customizations required for each of the products to work as we require them to across all facets of DB2,

Work for an overall solution. Competing product suites seem to serve the same functions but it is the overall integration of all the products to meet our needs that allows for this Suite to be so beneficial to our business.

In the late 1980’s, there was only Platinum and BMC that provided additional functions and front end to the DB2 utility work. We looked at both and took the Platinum solution through budget negotiations. The DBAs measured that the products were quite comparative and either would have met the then business needs.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the CA resources the conferences! They provide good access to their technical support at many events that allow very good one on one discourse.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, DBmaestro, Quest Software, and more!