CA DATACOM Reviews

industry
rating
IT Admin at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 06 2018

What is most valuable?

Scalability is definitely one thing. The size of the database can grow without any issues. We've got one database table that's got over a billion rows in it; quite a bit of data, and it handles access like a champ. Nowadays, CA is doing a lot... more»

How has it helped my organization?

We've had it for so long, so it's status quo. But we've added all sorts of functionality to our applications and there are no issues with databases. Anything developers request, we're able to accomplish. Also, we deal a lot with government... more»

What needs improvement?

There are still some things - and I know they are working on some of them - but for the "no-outage maintainability" of things, they are making improvements as we speak, but there is definitely still room for more of that.
Datacom System Engineer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 10,001+ employees
Nov 06 2017

What is most valuable?

Over the years, with the different releases, and for sure the upgrades, the installation process has gotten a lot easier because they use Cora Software Manager now to to install it. And the upgrade process, they use the new active upgrade process. Those features make everything a lot easier, a whole lot simpler than it used to be in the past.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of features that come out with each upgrade, but our application that runs on it has been around for a long time; they sort of decommissioned this application. So they don't really take advantage of a lot of the new features that come out with the Datacom upgrades and new releases.
Find out what your peers are saying about CA DATACOM vs CA IDMS and others in Non-Relational Databases.
291,145 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mainframe Systems Administrator at Total System Services, Inc.
Feb 02 2018

What is most valuable?

We use Datacom as the database for our CA 7 and CA 11. It is a very stable product. I really don't have to do much with it. I don't have to worry about the product going down. It just works most of the time. That is what I like about it.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely cuts down on our support costs. I do not get woken up in the middle of the night very often for a problem with Datacom. So, it is a pretty solid solution.

What needs improvement?

This is a hard one. It has just been a really solid product. We have not had very many issues at all with it. The only minor issue that we have had with Datacom is in the installation guide: Some of the sizings for the databases have not... more»
Database Administrator at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 04 2017

What do you think of CA DATACOM?

Primary Use Case We are using it as our database engine on our mainframe to store the data for various insurance systems. It performs very well. It continues to get easier and easier to use and to maintain. They keep adding more support, more 24/7 support. • Valuable Features It processes very efficiently. I think that's it's most important feature. I also love the support that I get when I call their support team. • Improvements to My Organization It just sits in the background. I don't know that it has a significant impact. • Room for Improvement I'm working with them to add some new features to the current release. Features like security auditing of access to the data, and continuing to update the security and the product. In general, they should just continue...
Mainframe Systems Administrator at Total System Services, Inc.
Dec 05 2017

What do you think of CA DATACOM?

Primary Use Case We primarily use DATACOM as a database product. We use it for CA7 and CA11 on our mainframe systems, and as the database for CA7 and CA11. • Valuable Features The most valuable features, being a systems programmer, are the ease of use and stability. • Improvements to My Organization It has cut down on our support. Though I do not know about support costs, but it has cut down on my support hours, after hours especially.  It is a solid product. We do not often have issues with it. It just works most of the time. • Room for Improvement More zip processing is always a good thing. The more that they can move to zip engines that would be better. • Stability Issues It is like a black box type of product. We just set it up and it runs.  • Scalability...

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About CA DATACOM

291,145 professionals have used our research since 2012.

CA DATACOM Questions

CA DATACOM Projects By Members

CA DATACOM Consultants

What is CA DATACOM?

CA Datacom enables the continuous availability of your business applications. Datacom, and its family of rDBMS products, provides you with a reliable database repository with enterprise-wide, high-volume workload and fault-tolerant capabilities.
Also known as
DATACOM
CA DATACOM customers
Blue Hill Data Services Inc.