CA Datacom Overview

What is CA Datacom?
CA Datacom enables the continuous availability of your business applications. Datacom, and its family of rDBMS products, provides you with a reliable database repository with enterprise-wide, high-volume workload and fault-tolerant capabilities.

CA Datacom is also known as DATACOM.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

CA Datacom Customers
Blue Hill Data Services Inc.
CA Datacom Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user489183
IT Admin at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Scalability and the online maintainability of definitions are definite advantages for us

What is our primary use case?

On the platform that I work on, it is the sole database package, and there's a whole lot of production going on every day: many transactions, many online users, batch, etc., accessing the database.

• "Scalability is definitely one thing. The size of the database can grow without any issues. We've got one database table that's got over a billion rows in it; quite a bit of data, and it handles access like a champ."
  • "Nowadays, CA is doing a lot of improving as far as online maintainability of definitions, which is a huge improvement over the past. I'm able to do a lot of changes without any outage."
  • "For the "no-outage maintainability" of things, they are making improvements as we speak, but there is definitely still room for more of that."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we're pretty well locked in with this product. I know we are looking at a migration, which would potentially be off of the mainframe platform. Right now we're just using what we have, and whether anything will happen with that massive project or not, we have no idea, but it is being investigated. There's certainly no software or changes that will be going on for quite a while anyway. Follow the instructions as given and you won't have any problems. If you have any questions, tech support is there, they're good. As I said, I've gotten to know a couple of those individuals just by…
it_user779310
Mainframe Systems Administrator at Total System Services, Inc.
Video Review
It is a stable product that cuts down on our support costs

• "It definitely ​cuts down on our support costs. I do not get woken up in the middle of the night very often for a problem with Datacom."
  • "The initial setup is fairly straightforward for a mainframe product."
  • "It is a solid product."
  • "The only minor issue that we have had with Datacom is in the installation guide: Some of the sizings for the databases have not really worked out for us, so we had to go in and resize them."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a nine out of 10. Just because, you never get a perfect 10. There is always room for improvement. There are minor things here and there, but I would say it is a solid product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Reputation, definitely. * Support is really important to us being on the mainframe side. The support has to be really responsive when we need it: 24 hours a day, seven days a week, holidays, weekends, whenever. That is a really big deal. * Stability is very important, obviously.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user779310
Mainframe Systems Administrator at Total System Services, Inc.
​It is like a black box type of product. We just set it up and it runs.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use DATACOM as a database product. We use it for CA7 and CA11 on our mainframe systems, and as the database for CA7 and CA11.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features, being a systems programmer, are the ease of use and stability.

How has it helped my organization?

It has cut down on our support. Though I do not know about support costs, but it has cut down on my support hours, after hours especially.  It is a solid product. We do not often have issues with it. It just works most of the time.

What needs improvement?

More zip processing is always a good thing. The more that they can move to zip engines that would be better.

It is like a black box type of product. We…
it_user778857
Database Administrator at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Processes very efficiently, using less and less of the CPU as we go

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as our database engine on our mainframe to store the data for various insurance systems. It performs very well. It continues to get easier and easier to use and to maintain. They keep adding more support, more 24/7 support.

What other advice do I have?

When our company is looking into a vendor, what's important to us are three main points: * that their product works well * efficient * cost. I rate in a nine out of 10 because I think it's a wonderful product but I always think everything can keep getting better. I see that it keeps going in that direction. I would tell a colleague it's very easy to use. It does its job very well. It's very efficient.
it_user755379
Datacom System Engineer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 10,001+ employees
Much easier to install than it once was and no issues with stability or scalability

What other advice do I have?

I would say to use it because of the stability. From what I've seen - because I've worked around other technicians that actually support the other products, the way that I support this - most of the time when we go to outage calls, because we review any outages that happen, most of the outages that happen are with the other products and not mine. I gave it a nine out of 10 because I really believe in it. Again, it's back to the stability and the support that we receive from the vendor on it, and the fact that we don't have too many issues with it at all. It's very stable.
it_user489183
IT Admin at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
The stability and capacity of the database engine are the most valuable aspects for us.

What other advice do I have?

DATACOM is a great database package, and the add-on features such as VSAM-Transparency and DL/1-Transparency, which I had at my former employer, really ease any transition.
it_user349485
Systems Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has enabled us to manage all of the mainframe data easily, but they should develop integration with open distribution systems.

Valuable Features

It’s a database manager which has good performance for batch workloads and transactions.

Improvements to My Organization

Since we have been using this solution in the bank, it has enabled us to manage all of the mainframe data easily.

Room for Improvement

Something that we would like to see is for them to develop integration with open distribution systems.

We have no issues deploying it.

It is stable, and we wouldn’t use it if it wasn’t.

It is very scalable and has proved this time and time again for us.

They provide the best support compared to other providers I have used previously. On the CA website, you can easily open an incident, and they call you…
Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Quest Software, and more!
Quick Links