CA Endevor Software Change Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CA Endevor Software Change Manager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Software Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Compuware ISPW: CA Endevor Software Change Manager vs Compuware ISPW

What is CA Endevor Software Change Manager?
CA Endevor Software Change Manager (CA Endevor SCM) is the most widely used change management software for the mainframe environment. It can automate your entire development process, adapting to your specific business requirements and helping ensure consistency and complete control. Integration with IBM Rational Developer for System z can improve productivity, accelerate time-to-delivery and ensure the auditability of all programmer activities. Eclipse-ready, CA Endevor SCM helps shorten the learning curve for application developers. It provides your team with business-driven, customizable lifecycle paths and automated version control to protect your software assets and help maintain application integrity.

CA Endevor Software Change Manager is also known as Endevor Software Change Manager, CA Software Change Manager for Mainframe, CA Endevor SCM.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

CA Endevor Software Change Manager Customers
Blue Hill Data Services Inc.
CA Endevor Software Change Manager Video

Archived CA Endevor Software Change Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Joe Bigini
CA Endevor Administrator at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to know the exact source code associated with a given executable

• "It puts all our source in one product. We know where to go to gather all our source code and which source is associated with which executable. It's a one-stop-shop, one place to go for everything."
  • "The developers can very easily see what has changed on a particular piece of source code or a program, and others can look at that as well so they can coordinate their changes. It makes it much easier to promote a piece of code up to production."
  • "One feature of Endevor is its Backout feature. If there is a problem, it can back out the executables. The only problem with that is that it will not back out the source in Endevor. For example, you can do a back out and it will back out the executable to the previous version, but it doesn't back out the source version in Endevor. It would make it much better if when you did a back out of Endevor, it would back out both the source and the executable and keep them in sync."

What is our primary use case?

Software configuration management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has ensured that we can prove that what someone put into production is exactly what's in there.

It also puts all our source in one product. We know where to go to gather all our source code and which source is associated with which executable. It's a one-stop-shop, one place to go for everything.

Before implementing this solution, nobody knew where all the source code was. It was kept in individuals' own libraries. We couldn't know for sure that a piece of source was the same source that was the executable running in production. There was no real way to tell which source created which executable, and that was the case for all the executables in production. When we went to Endevor, it was very easy to say, "Okay, this piece of code created that executable." It made it much easier to know for sure what we had in production.

What is most valuable?

The biggest feature is that it protects the source and it associates the source with the executable.

Endevor footprinting and ship are also big features.

What needs improvement?

One feature of Endevor is its Backout feature. If there is a problem, it can back out the executables. The only problem with that is that it will not back out the source in Endevor. For example, you can do a back out and it will back out the executable to the previous version, but it doesn't back out the source version in Endevor. It would make it much better if when you did a back out of Endevor, it would back out both the source and the executable and keep them in sync. Right now, if you do a back out and you leave it out, you have to sync the source code back in Endevor. That can be a challenge.

More than five years.

I'd rate the stability a nine out of 10. Obviously, every software product has issues from time to time, but whenever we've had issues, we've been able to work with CA to resolve them. I haven't found an occasion where we had problems with the product and we couldn't rectify them, working with CA.

I'd would say scalability is, again, a nine out of 10. I haven't found that Endevor couldn't handle large amounts of software or large amounts of activity going through it. The scalability with Endevor has always been very good.

Tech support rates a nine out of 10. Any time we've had issues with Endevor, no matter which place I worked at, tech support has always been very knowledgeable, very helpful and, most of the time, we've been able to resolve problems very quickly.

I've used other products in the past, but they weren't as feature-rich as Endevor. They didn't have all the advantages that Endevor has for source code management. I haven't found a product yet that could compete with Endevor, as far as source code management is concerned.

The initial setup depends on the shop. Some instances it can be very straightforward to set up, while in another shop, depending on what type of source code they have or what type of procedures they have to get code into production, it can get complicated. I haven't seen anything that Endevor couldn't handle. I haven't found an issue anywhere where Endevor couldn't handle a piece of source code or the way a piece of source code is built.

When we did purchase Endevor, which was quite awhile ago, there were products such as Pandalay and Librarian, but they really didn't compare, apples to apples, with Endevor. Endevor could do so much more. Currently, there are other products out there, but I haven't been involved recently in comparing Endevor with these other tools. But back when we did get Endevor, it was by far the better tool, so it was an easy choice.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it as simple as possible. When you're implementing the product, any errors you make are only magnified as you go further down the line and keep on adding more and more applications to Endevor. My main advice would be, don't overthink the implementation. Try to make the implementation as simple and straightforward as possible and then build on that.

I've been using Endevor for many years, in many different shops, in many different situations. I've found Computer Associates to be very supportive. Their tech support is excellent. They constantly improve the product, which is great. They didn't just throw the product out there and then let it sit. They are constantly upgrading the product and making sure it is top-notch.

Ned Doerr
Manager, Enterprise Release Management at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
​It helps us control what changes we are putting into production

What is our primary use case?

We use it to move our mainframe code through development to production. From a release perspective, my team oversees it, and we help manage that.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us control what changes we are putting into production. From an audit perspective, just making sure everything is all in one place.

What is most valuable?

With the newer version, you can do a lot of the automation that you could not do in the past where you had to do manual stuff. Now, we are getting into automation, which makes my life a whole lot easier.

What needs improvement?

It is interesting because we are just starting to employ some of the new features. We just put a new version in last weekend.

I would like to see more of automation pieces. I think that is going to be where we need to go to make things faster to get to our customers.

More than five years.

It is the Cadillac of that tool. There is no other tool that matches it on the market today. It is the best, and it is very stable. It has never gone down.

It is very easy to work with, depending on how much you want to employ and how little you want to employ the product. As far as what you run through it, it can be little to huge, no problem. It can manage it.

I have not used the technical support.

There was nothing else on the market and we had to start managing our mainframe applications. This was the best way to do it.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

IBM. We chose CA because it was the Cadillac tool.

CA is the one that sets the pace for everybody else to follow. We have never had any problems with the tool.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely take a look at it. You can look at the other tools that are out there, but I do not think you are going to find anything better. Also CA's reputation, they back their product 100%.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The fact that they are there when I need them. CA is definitely that.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, Compuware and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user821958
Information Technology and Services Consultant and Contractor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Consistent, repeatable processes, automation we built, take away most human error

• "We have been able to replicate entire SDLCs for new clients and have them loaded and ready to use Endevor in as little as one week. This was possible with the use of Endevor variables within the processors, so that a single processor was able to function for multiple systems across the entire SDLC."
  • "The approach of writing a single set of Endevor processors to work across multiple instances of the application (separate systems) made the processors fairly complex, but once you understand them, they are so powerful."
  • "Needs more audit capability when it comes to changes to settings that are made by administrators, as many of these are done through the panels and are therefore not logged as an action against a configuration item."

What is our primary use case?

Application software management for multi-client applications.

As an outsourcer, in some cases software is maintained in-house, then distributed to clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Consistent, repeatable processes, and the automation that we have built take away much of the human error aspect.

Also, we have been able to replicate entire SDLCs for new clients and have them loaded and ready to use Endevor in as little as one week. This was possible with the use of Endevor variables within the processors, so that a single processor was able to function for multiple systems across the entire SDLC.

What is most valuable?

The history logging (who, what, when). It's so easy to pass an audit when the facts are clear.

What needs improvement?

More audit capability when it comes to changes to settings that are made by administrators, as many of these are done through the panels and are therefore not logged as an action against a configuration item.

Also, more flexibility for package approvals. Some new features are coming, but there will always be someone that needs something just a little different. Having the ability to choose approval order/approval disqualification in any combination, and defined at a stage level so that rules can be different, according to the location of the SDLC.

More than five years.

No issues with stability. Small bugs from time to time, but never really anything that kept the product from performing its main objective of software management.

No issues with scalability.

Great.

Straightforward in terms of the SDLC, but complex in the way the processors were initially built. A simple single stream of development made it easy to follow the development lifecycle.

At my original site (in 1989) there were other products evaluated, but I cannot recall the names as they did not stand the test of time.

What other advice do I have?

My original entry to Endevor was the realization of the need for proper application software management. At that time there was the need for software management due to the up and coming Y2K issues. Beyond that, anyone who knew anything about application code knew that software management was high on the requirements list.

It’s a great product, but take the time to define what you need from it before you start doing anything. I recall there was a five-day planning and design that CA would assist with. That is a valuable time for gaining CA staff insights on best practices, and helping you "get it right."

it_user817752
Senior SCM engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to automate all our development implementations, saving us a lot of time

• "Our automation, our development implementations are all automated, which is a huge amount of time savings."
  • "In the last year or so, we had a need to start using a CICS web services, and mesh them in with some distributed functions on an enterprise service bus. We put the web services into Endevor and we manage that way now."
  • "They've got plug-ins now to run it through Eclipse, they've got a lot of APIs, they handle UNIX files. I can't really think of any serious lack that they haven't addressed."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control the source code versioning, implementation, generation, automation; pretty much anything that is source code on the mainframe. We manage COBOL assembler, we manage pretty much any mainframe language there is.

How has it helped my organization?

On the CA side, where we're doing the mainframe, our automation, our development implementations are all automated, which is a huge amount of time savings. That's a big one.

Even just in the last year or so, we had a need to start using a CICS web services, and mesh them in with some distributed functions on an enterprise service bus. We put the web services into Endevor and we manage that way now. That was a new code, a new code requirement, a new challenge.

What is most valuable?

I like it because it customizable, and it's rock steady, it's a very robust and mature product. Plus I love the audit trail.

What needs improvement?

If you had asked me this 10 years ago I would have had some good answers, but they pretty well addressed everything. They've got plug-ins now to run it through Eclipse, they've got a lot of APIs, they handle UNIX files. I can't really think of any serious lack that they haven't addressed. It's a mature product, and its really stable.

More than five years.

Stability is a 10 out of 10.

Scalability is a 10 out of 10. For example, where I'm at now we manage about 15,000 pieces of code. In my previous job, where we actually used Endevor as well, we managed over 200,000 pieces of code. So you can see it's fairly scalable.

I think we've only had to call them about three times in the last 20 years, and that was really more or less searching for answers, not a product issue. And they're always more than happy to help. They do great work.

Back in the day, it was just hard to manage multiple code streams; concurrent development I guess is what it was really. We needed to be able to manage that in a rational manner and automate it, so that's really why Endevor was picked. Also, CA was the market leader and they had the pretty much best product, after we went through all the due diligence.

We used to use a homegrown, user-friendly, in-house program but Endevor was an industry standard. We didn't use a competing product because this in-house program wasn't a product.

I think it's a pretty simple setup.

It's competitively priced and, as far as I know, it's just an enterprise license. We have found it is worth the money. Right now, I'm really not even involved in the pricing of the product here at this shop, but in previous shops we've always found it was worth the money.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you want a mainframe - any kind of mainframe - solution, or for software control management go for it. CA has good products. They're an industry standard in a lot of ways.

it_user814443
    Software Configuration Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Versioning and code change tracking are key for us in managing production changes

• "It's very flexible. A new technology comes along, this can be multiplied to handle the new technology quite easily."
    • "Interfacing with some change control products that are not CA's, it's a little glitchy on the approvals of changes. It requires special needs for the users for approvals."

What is our primary use case?

Software changes and release management.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes production changes much easier to implement, and to recover if there are problems. It has saved us a lot of issues.

What is most valuable?

Versioning, you are able to track changes to code more easily.

Also, it's very flexible. A new technology comes along, this can be multiplied to handle the new technology quite easily.

What needs improvement?

Interfacing with some change control products that are not CA's, it's a little glitchy on the approvals of changes. It requires special needs for the users for approvals, so the user interface for approving changes could be better.

More than five years.

Stability is a nine out of 10.

Scalability is a seven out of 10.

Tech support is usually a nine or even a 10 out of 10.

I think we had a product that was being discontinued, and we were looking for a product to be able to handle the volume of source we had. We also wanted to be able to easily transition to the new product, one that would require minimal training.

It was pretty straightforward.

It's worth the value. The pricing is fairly good, justifiable for the return on investment.

Licensing is fairly simple, you don't need multiple licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good tool. There are similar products out there that you might want to get now with a GUI interface. Right now, this product is mostly green screen - we use the mainframe product - so I think it would be advantageous for other companies to use a GUI product.

it_user558255
    Mainframe System Administrator II at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Improves the security of the data in our production libraries

• "There are a lot of screens in it. The process for moving out my other solutions, it could be more convenient. There are a lot of steps to go through and a lot of screens to go through to get it accomplished."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to update our production libraries.

We pull in the production version, Endevor creates the test version, we make our changes in the test version, and then we promote it out with Endevor to production.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our security.

What is most valuable?

• The fact that it's secure, that it creates security for all the data in those libraries.
      • The audit trail, it tracks who makes the changes.

What needs improvement?

It does what I need it to do.

If there was anything, I would say there are a lot of screens in it. The process for moving out my other solutions, it could be more convenient. There are a lot of steps to go through and a lot of screens to go through to get it accomplished. So, if there was something for improving it, then maybe minimizing the amount of work it takes to go through.

It's very stable.

I just use it, so I'm not sure. I know the features that I use, but there are a lot more features to it that I don't use.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, but those who were never complained. It's not considered one of the more complex products. They do the updates and I've never heard any complaints.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria are

• customer service
      • ease of installation
      • good documentation
      • usability
      • scalability.

And CA covers that, as far as I'm concerned.

I never give it a 10 out of 10, because there's always room for improvement. I'd go with an eight. It works, and does its job, and I've never heard any complaints for improvements in this product.

I don't know the competition, I don't know if there's anything better, but Endevor is a solid product. It is stable.

it_user779235
      Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The software audit-level tracking means I can see what was changed, what was moved

• "It's the audit-level tracking. If something has gone wrong I can go back and figure out what happened, who did it."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to migrate our software from the different environments of development and QA, and then QA to production.

It performs pretty well. I like it.

How has it helped my organization?

It's good because a lot of time you can keep the history tracking, so I can go back and I can see what the software looked like before and after, what was changed and what was moved.

What is most valuable?

Being able to go back through and see the history of changes that were migrated, who got migrated. And being able to see data migration has occurred.

What needs improvement?

Some of the things that we have talked about are trying to move towards Agile, and trying to map back. If I'm migrating once in a code that maybe solves multiple projects, or multiple user stories, or features. Being able to try and do that one-to-many; because right now we're just doing one-to-one.

If it were able to help us map back that code to basically what initially was running, that would help, because sometimes it can be multiples, I can install one release of a product that may have multiple originating.

More than five years.

It seems to be pretty stable.

It seems to be scalable. I don't know that we've tested any limits on it, but it appears to be.

It's been so long that I don't know what the previous solution was, but the switch was because we were trying to get it all consolidated, because we were in multiple places.

It was complex just from a matter of getting everything set up initially and making sure all our parameters were set properly. So it was about us getting everything there the first time. Because when you've got code everywhere, and you're trying to get it in one place, it can sometimes be a challenge just to find it all and get it there.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria in selecting a vendor are

• stability of the product
        • the company.

We like to hear from other customers that have used it. What were your experiences with it? The software, the vendor not being responsive.

I would rate it a solid eight out of 10, because it is stable, it serves the need that we have now. However, I don't know if it's serving where we are going with the Agile.

It seems to be a solid company, they're good and responsive. It's just a matter of making sure you know where all your software resides today, to get it all there.

it_user779220
        Technical Senior Support Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        It standardizes the processing of all development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner.

• "It standardizes the processing of all the development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner."
        • "Having something that is out-of-the-box that you can customize to suit your organization's needs is huge."
        • "The flexibility, because I know a lot of the competition pigeonholes you into definitions and character limitations, and Endevor is wide open."
        • "They need to ditch the Eclipse plugin and just make the development environment for Z the standard Eclipse interface.​"
        • "It is still kind of behind the times. It needs to catch up with all the millennials that want a distributed look and feel.​"

What is our primary use case?

I use it on a daily basis as an administrator. It performs fairly well and has for 20-plus years.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the standardized tool for all of mainframe development. In the past, it is a big improvement over just using standard homegrown utilities. Having something that is out-of-the-box that you can customize to suit your organization's needs is huge.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility, because I know a lot of the competition pigeonholes you into definitions and character limitations, and Endevor is wide open. You can define it as broadly or as narrowly as you want.

What needs improvement?

I do not know that there is much more that they can do on the mainframe side. They need to ditch the Eclipse plugin and just make the development environment for Z the standard Eclipse interface.

No downtime, and it has been around for 30 years. I think it has got another 30 to go. So, it is doing really well.

It is very scalable. You can use it in a small shop. I have hundreds of thousands of users, and you can tailor it to suit anyone's needs.

When I was with technical support, it was outstanding. Now, they are okay. They are doing their best without me.

The CA Community: We are one big, happy family. The development team support, all the customers around the world, and myself: We are one big Endevor family. We have known each other for decades. It is an awesome environment. A really good, tight community.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was installed when I started working for this company.

I do not do the upgrades. Somebody else does that. The whole separation of duties thing. The system programmer has to do one thing, and I do the rest.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: From my company's point of view, cost because it is only installed on the Windows part for Sysplex, and they are too cheap to pay for the multi-LPAR license.

it_user779307
        Automation Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Learning the tool is extremely difficult, there are a lot of restrictions, but the ability to compare versions is helpful

• "Being able to compare versions is helpful."
        • "Learning the tool for the first time was extremely difficult, and it could be because of all the other processes we had around it. But knowing you can do these things in batch, you can do things in the foreground or online mode, and then these, you have to have a package for. There are these rules, and some of the concepts inside the tool are not clear, like what is the CCID? Why do I have to have one? What is that? And how is it used? As a developer, it's not important to me - I don't know what a CCID is, and I don't care - but apparently it's important to someone."

What is our primary use case?

Source control management.

It performs well.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very controlled. I can't say that it improves, the way our company functions.

It's not so much that it, by itself, isn't beneficial, but that maybe the way we use it is not necessarily great.

There are lots of restrictions and it's difficult to move things through the process and to get things elevated. And then we'd have to do some crazy process to get a CCID created and you've got to submit a request here, and then you've got to have this and that.

We've got this other process, if you generate a package and then you forgot an item, then you have to add to it. We have to get someone else to reset your package and you've got to submit a different request and get someone to reset the package. It's just painful, instead of having the users have the control over what they're doing, and over that process.

What is most valuable?

• Version control
        • Being able to compare versions
        • Being able to see the difference in the history

What needs improvement?

It seems extremely stable.

It seems scalable. I've never encountered any slowness. It seems that many, many users could use it without a problem.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• that the tool meet your needs
        • that it have the features and functions that you're looking for.

CA Endevor is better than not having any source control management, some kind of source control tools.

it_user779100
        Software Administrator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        We have used it for years and never had any real issues with it

What is our primary use case?

We use it to track changes to our schedules. It performs great.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us more streamlined processes from test to development to QA to production. So, the product streamlines processes.

What is most valuable?

The usability of it. It is pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Probably more of a web-based option for it, because it is mostly mainframe. We are looking for more web solutions to expand our users that are not mainframe savvy.

It is very stable. Since it is on the mainframe, the mainframe is a very stable product, so it never interacts with it.

It is very scalable.

How is

What is our primary use case?

We use it to track changes to our schedules. It performs great.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The usability of it. It is pretty user-friendly.

It is very scalable.

Not lately on my end, but we have in the past. I have had contacted them in the past with other tools for CA products. They are always great with good interaction.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the tool. We have used it for years and never had any real issues with it.

Greg Payne
        Sr. Analyst/Technology Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Leaderboard

• "​It was an easy install. Since it was all set up, it pretty much runs itself now."
        • "​Stability has been really good. I have actually never had to open an issue or report an issue since I have been running it.​"

What is our primary use case?

It has performed very well. We use it for our CSS mainframe development.

How has it helped my organization?

It was really done because of an audit issue, which has since been cleared. It works very well for the organization and does what it needs to do. The developers do not have any complaints at the moment.

What is most valuable?

It was an easy install.

I do most of the work with the processors now. Since it was all set up, it pretty much runs itself now.

What needs improvement?

I know there is capabilities for web enablement to use with Eclipse, but we have not gone down that road any at all.

The scalability is real good. Our environment is not real large, but it works well for what we do.

It has been awhile since I used the technical support. I have no problems at all with them.

The initial setup was easily understood as far as the concept. The setup was difficult. We did need technical services initially, but I spent very little time in having to do anything with it.

We had help from CA Services. They were a great help. We have not needed their services since.

It does exactly what it needs to do. Just make sure if you are going to license, ensure you license the right features.

What other advice do I have?

My understanding is that Endever is one of the better software exchange management systems out there. I don't think people should really look at anything else.

It does exactly what we need it to do. It has worked well for us because we've had it now for about five years.

it_user778980
          Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

• "It can be very flexible, as far as how you use it. You can make it do nearly anything, but in really clever ways. It is very versatile."
          • "Any question that an auditor has about our processes and approvals is all stored in Endevor."
          • "We backup people's source code for them."
          • "Sometimes finding errors and output can be difficult because it spits out so many messages that it is hard to figure out which ones are the ones you need to look at and what flow did it actually take through the processor."

What is our primary use case?

It is a tool the mainframe programmers use to do their work. If they need to make a change to a program, they go into Endevor and they check out a copy of the program. Then, they make their changes and check it back into Endeavor, and it gets built or compiled into whatever the language is. When they want to move a copy of it to QA for testing, they use Endevor to do that. Also, when it is time to go into production, they use Endevor to do that. The programmers do all their work through Endevor, and it is their bridge between development and production.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are that we backup people's source code for them. They do not have to worry about losing it because Endevor keeps it for them, all kinds of previous versions. Endevor keeps track of everything that auditors need. That is a big thing. Any question that an auditor has about our processes and approvals is all stored in Endevor. We can give them reports and it makes them happy, especially when you work for a bank.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Endevor personally is it can be very flexible, as far as how you use it. You can make it do nearly anything, but in really clever ways. It is very versatile. You can really customize it for your own shop pretty extensively, pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

It may seem a little abstract, but when somebody approves an Endevor package, if they are able to approve, and let us say there's four different approvals that are needed. If they have the ability to approve at four different levels, and if they check off to approve the package it will approve all the way through. If I would like the person to be able to approve at one level. It doesn't matter which one it is, but they only can choose one thing, then somebody else has to do the other approvals. There is no way around it. I spent an entire day trying really hard once to figure out how to do that. In a shorter sentence, the ability to restrict one approval per approval level would be a big deal for us.

Sometimes finding errors and output can be difficult because it spits out so many messages that it is hard to figure out which ones are the ones you need to look at and what flow did it actually take through the processor is what they call them. There are a lot of if-then-elses, sometimes it is hard to figure out which if-then-elses it actually did. When you can turn on what they call a trace, but if somebody asks you a question you want to just say, "Which one ran and which one failed?" That's not always easy. That could be a little easier.

It is very stable. We have no problems.

One thing that is great about CA is that they worked with really big companies for a long time. We have no problems with scalability. It is excellent.

I have only ever opened one case as I am relatively new with the company, but they got right back to me and answered my question quickly.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

There's really only two mainframe tools that do this, Endevor and something called ChangeMan. I used to support ChangeMan. It is good, but it is a lot simpler. If I was talking to somebody, I might point out the flexibility of the Endevor implementation and how you can do so many different things in really clever ways.

it_user778842
          Senior Software Engineer
          We can make it do pretty much whatever we want, depending on just how complicated we want it to be, as it is pretty flexible

What is our primary use case?

Source code management. It works well.

How has it helped my organization?

I do not think our organization could go without it.

What is most valuable?

Source code management.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We had issues early on (twenty-something years ago), but not now.

We can make it do pretty much whatever we want, depending on just how complicated we want it to be. It will do a lot of things if we tell it to. It is not built that way. It has to be told. It is pretty flexible.

Technical support is always good, and they are getting…

What is our primary use case?

Source code management. It works well.

How has it helped my organization?

I do not think our organization could go without it.

What is most valuable?

Source code management.

More than five years.

It is not built that way. It has to be told. It is pretty flexible.

Technical support is always good, and they are getting better.

I was not part of the initial setup. I have gone through several releases of the software, though. Those were pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely tell anyone looking for this type of solution to pursue Endevor.

it_user778587
          Mainframe Release Systems Engineer at Jack Henry & Associates
          You can constantly use it and you can keep building as long as you have the space for it

What is our primary use case?

We use it for source code management. We use it to basically keep our applications that we use day-to-day, month-to-month, and week-to-week, all up-to-date. We use it to move it through those areas and manage it for auditing purposes, like dev, QA, production, etc. Our developers use it to build code in those different stages and move it forward.

How has it helped my organization?

There are approvers which have to approve something before it can move from dev to test, then test to production. Therefore, it makes it very seamless and easy to trace. Not only that, but it is easy to make sure nothing is getting to a place that it should not, when it should not. For example, being able to prevent things moving up the chain, things moving back, or things being edited when they should not is huge for us. So it has been a great benefit.

What is most valuable?

The traceability and the footprint that it creates for every element and every piece of code that it is put in. Being able to track who did what and when is huge for us because auditors are going to come back, especially being a financial company, and say, "Why was this touched, and when?"

You can trace it back to exactly who did anything and what it was connected to, based on the notes and all the information included with it.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface. It would be a big tool to change (but needed), just because as the workforce kind of ages and retires, the younger generation is not as familiar with mainframe and looking at a green screen is not really a huge selling point to them. So, adding an updated graphical user interface and making it a little bit more like Eclipse, also making it more widespread, making it easier to install, and getting it setup, would be great.

Otherwise, Endevor does what it needs to do and it is hard to say that it needs any kind of massive change because of its great scalability, and because of its great availability. It does what it needs to do, so it is hard to say anything needs to change massively.

So far, so good. We would love to get upgraded to 18, which has not happened. However, versions 16 and 17 have worked great.

As far as stability, we have had minor issues. When we have minor issues, CA is great to jump out and help us.

It is great. One of our systems has 21,000 elements, so you are talking about a ton of modules. You put it on the mainframe that has very high availability, and it just makes it great, because you can constantly use it and you can keep building as long as you have the space for it. Our storage and available are there, and as long as you have the storage availability you can keep going to build it as big as you want. You do not see any drop off as far as speed or the utilities in the system. None of that changes no matter how many elements you have, whether it is one or 21,000.

This is part of the reason I work on Endevor. It is completely different than other tools I have used. It is easy to use and is very intuitive to where you can sit there and it will keep growing, but it does not change. You do not have to learn a new thing, because you have gotten too big or anything like that, thus I really enjoy it.

Their customer service is second to none. From what we have seen. I have a couple of them that I can reach out to directly. They provide instant feedback on how to fix our problems and how to get to what we need done.

Since I have been there, we did not have anything before that, but it makes it so it is not chaos, where anybody can go in anytime.

I have been involved with the initial setup of version 18. I was not involved with the initial onboarding of Endevor. With version 18, so far, so good. There have been a couple stumbling blocks just setting up the different check boxes that you have to check to get certain features applied. But even then, if you go through the documentation or you reach out to customer service, you can get those pretty quick and easy.

There are a few steps along the way that we stumbled on, but they were quick fixes and they were pretty minor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. It is very easy to use. It is great as far as what it does. Once you have learned it and figured it out, it is right there as one of the best products you can get.

it_user373500
          Sr. Systems Engineers at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          Streamlines automatic building from source code to executable, and effectively migrates executables through the software lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case would be that our application developers use Endevor for managing their mainframe software. They take their source code and they add it in to Endevor, and Endevor translates that source code into an output executable, and then from there it would get deployed to the various development areas, QA areas, and then finally to production.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features are the automatic building from the source code to the executable, and the way Endevor migrates the executables through the software lifecycle. I'm looking at it at more from a company perspective, from Aetna's perspective, that's the big benefit there.

And as far as for me, because I'm an Endevor administrator, I actually have to use Endevor to administer Endevor, so I use it almost in the way our customers use it. It's a cool product. Very robust, very solid.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, I know because I'm a validation partner with CA, where we see what's coming down the pike.

I know there's been a lot of work that they're doing on the long name support.

Unix systems services, that whole side of the z/OS Operating System. I know they've been really doing a lot of work improving that.

The ISPF interface, adding long name support to that.

In addition, they've been doing a lot of work on the new GUI front end to Endevor, so you could have a developer that does not really have much mainframe knowledge, and they'd be able to go on to this GUI interface, it's called the Eclipse Plugin to Endevor, and they'd be able to get up and running very quickly. No need to possess those mainframe skills, because they're doing it almost like they're working on their own PC, but they're connected to the mainframe. And sometimes they don't even know it.That's something that they've been working on and improving over the past several years. Right now we have that in a testing area and it's been working very well.

Stability is unbelievable. Over the years it's really improved dramatically.

Scalability, it can handle a company that really doesn't have that many software assets, all the way through big companies like my company that can handle huge numbers of software assets. Very scalable.

I would rate them "excellent." Very satisfied. I call them and, usually within minutes, I get a phone call back. Typically I'm reaching the right person and they're knowledgeable. And if not, they refer it to the next level, but generally they can take care of it.

What we were using before was actually a CA product, a product called Panvalet, but that was like a prior generation of product, and Endevor is the newer type of product, so we went over to Endevor back in the '90s.

Actually I was not involved in the initial setup at the company I'm with now, but I was involved in it with the company I was with before.

Back in those days - this was years ago - at that point in time, it was complex in a way because the product was so flexible. You really have to figure out what you want to do first, even without the product there, just figure out how you want to handle things, and then you take the product, Endevor, and you kind of overlay it on top of what you want to do at your company. But it's so flexible you can do almost anything you want with it. Sometimes that can add to the complexity, but once you have the knowledge of the product, then the complexity goes away.

There might have been a couple of products that we looked at back when I was at my other company, but Endevor was clearly - even in those days, back in the early '90s - the leader at that point in time. I can't even really recall what other products were part of the mix that we looked at. The other ones didn't really even last long, Endevor was the leader even back then, and I feel that they're definitely the leader right now, still.

What other advice do I have?

When our company is selecting a vendor, the criteria include

• the actual software itself - to make sure that the software meets the requirements
          • that the vendor is solid as far as the way they deliver on their support
          • that they have the appropriate service level agreements for support, and emergency types of procedures in place.

I have to give Endevor a 10 out of 10. The reason why really goes back to all the things I've talked about so far. It's just really robust, it can handle pretty much anything. A requirement we get from our customers internally, we're able to take that and translate it into something that is workable for our customers, using Endevor. It's very much open ended, and I don't really see any situation where we're not able to deliver on a customer requirement.

I would definitely advise to go with Endevor, no question. There are a few others on the market, Compuware has ISPW, which I really don't know that much about. There's ChangeMan, but I think Endevor definitely is the one. That's the one I know best, and I talk to a lot of people - I'm a member of the New England Endevor Usergroup - and in my view, it's number one, up there in the marketplace as far as what it does.

it_user779040
          Senior Manager Quality Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Does a good job of managing my daily operations without downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use it for version control in the mainframe area.

It's been great. To be honest, we use GitHub for enterprise for the distributed world, and we use SCM for the mainframe world. So far, I've looked around as well. I've not seen a computer that's close to Endevor in terms of performance, scalability and capability.

How has it helped my organization?

On a day to day basis, it's all about managing my operations without any downtime. The tool has done a good job of want I want it to do, and it's a very stable tool. I think it's doing a good job.

What is most valuable?

• Automated build
          • Quick Edit option
          • Utilities for continuous integration

What needs improvement?

I think the main focus should be the continuous delivery aspects. How can I have a single view of the distributed core and the mainframe core, coming together in one wholesome, holistic experience?

Stability is great. Since it's running on the mainframe I think CA has done a really good job of keeping the availability at more than "three nines." As well, whenever there is any support issue I think that CA is really good, and it gets resolved within 24 hours.

Regarding scalability, we started off when we were very, very small. We've been using it for more than seven or eight years, and the mainframe size has increased but Endevor has done a good job of keeping up with it.

For the straightforward questions I think that they do a good job of getting back within 24 hours. For the tricky ones, whenever it comes to upgrades or things like that, they definitely take 48 to 72 hours. The response time is slower, but the good thing is they come back with the right answers, and that's what is important.

I started managing about it four years back and we've gone through many upgrades and renewals, but I was not part of the initial set up.

If you're upgrading more than one version, there is a difference. Typically, if you upgrade frequently, it's better. But if you're doing multiple jumps then I would say getting CA's support would be helpful, as the underlying architecture could have changed and things could go south. So it is important to involve CA support or at least to have them review the plan.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, and the reason I am cutting the two points is that I want it to be a little more lightweight in terms of continuous delivery.

If you're looking for a version control system for mainframe, I don't think you should even have a second thought of not trying at least trying out Endevor. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. At the same time, it has all the capabilities that are required to take your company into the continuous delivery ecosystem. That's why I think you should definitely give it a shot.

it_user778830
          Team Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We use it to manage our source and ensuring nobody puts anything in the production that does not belong

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage our source, make sure everything is clean, and nobody puts anything in the production that does not belong.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs fine. We have not had any real glitches for the product.

What needs improvement?

It is already there. We have not really implemented it. We just have to get it to Managed API source.

It is stable. We do not have any issues with it. It is just complex because it is a tool set. It is not a plug and play kind of product at all.

No issues with it. It covers our base; no problem.

How is customer service and technical

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Flexibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs fine. We have not had any real glitches for the product.

What needs improvement?

No issues with it. It covers our base; no problem.

Good. They provide answers and solutions. The team member will really get more detailed on the technical end of it and he has not had any issues with getting support.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was complex. It is a toolbox, so you have got to design it to do what you want to get done, so it was complex.

I was not part of the decision-making process.

I don't know if there are competitors. I can't comment on how it compares.

What other advice do I have?

This solution works. You can definitely make it work.

it_user558621
          Sr. Information Security Architect MF at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Allows us to map a change made to the production environment through various stages of delivery

What is our primary use case?

I set up the security configurations for Endevor as well as everything in the mainframe. I am the security architect, so I determine what has to be done in order to secure the product going into production.

What is most valuable?

Endevor allows us to map a change made to the production environment through various stages of delivery.

What needs improvement?

More of the following: Web-based deliveries Web-enabled configuration Dashboards Therefore, we can report on our delivery quicker to management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

More of the following:

• Web-based deliveries
          • Web-enabled configuration
          • Dashboards

Therefore, we can report on our delivery quicker to management.

The product is very stable. It has been around for a long time. It all depends on how you to deploy it. If they deploy it correctly, then it provides a tremendous benefit. But if you lay it out wrong, it can be a nightmare to work with.

It is very scalable. You can go to just the libraries, but we use it more for than that. Not just libraries, but all of the elements that are associated to an application moving from one phase of delivery to another.

They are very good, but we use the user community as well instead of their support. This is because the help desk, or the help areas, within the product can't necessarily understand, in many cases, how we have deployed something. Whereas, a user group president of Endevor might have a lot of different sources in which to ask the same question.

I was involved in the initial setup. While it was simple and straightforward, we took simple and straightforward, then made a disaster out of it. Back then, we did not have the knowledge base. Now, we do have the knowledge base.

We implemented in-house. We just put it in ourselves. We probably would not have done that in hindsight. There is always a better solution if it is designed correctly. We just went strictly from the book.

it_user348219
          Infrastructure Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

Managing source code artifacts. It controls who has access to the source code, it versions it, and it deploys it. It also presents it in a controlled environment. It has approval gates built in to the tool to allow different teams to sign off before a deploy.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the business the level of governance it needs over the source code. We’re able to control the gold copy and we’re able to maintain versions, historical record, and control access.

What needs improvement?

I like the stability and CA’s responsiveness, but I haven’t used anything else, so it’s hard to judge. I don't have a frame of reference to know whether there may be something better.

It maintains a 99.999% uptime. It’s always been available and has always started. Upgrades are smooth and efficient. It’s a very mature, well-worn technology.

It’s so stable – it’s like the good child, you don’t really think about what it needs. I also manage the bad child, too.

We have used CA professional services to make modifications. It was fantastic – really helped some automations we were working on. They overcame the package shipping problem between separate data centers.

What other advice do I have?

This is my only experience with mainframe software configuration management. There isn’t much competition in this space anyway.

Think about how it manages security of the assets and its governance properties.

it_user616050
          TSC Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Time-submitted packages allow for silent, off-hours installs into production.

What is most valuable?

• Version tracking
          • Footprinting
          • ACM
          • Admin tools (build SCL)

How has it helped my organization?

Time-submitted packages allow for silent, off-hours installs into production.

What needs improvement?

I find the ISPF interface to be lacking. It seems like you have to navigate to a lot of different screens to work with the same element.

I have used this solution for 20+ years.

We did not have stability issues.

We did not have scalability issues.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say technical support is a 7. First-level of support often comes back with answers that are obviously incorrect or not relevant. Luckily, we don't have many issues.

We had Changeman on one of our mainframes. We migrated to Endevor for the cost savings and also for consistency in our SCM. Endevor was our choice between the two.

I find setup very straightforward. The biggest challenge we had when converting was replicating the compile options. The load module analyzer only looks at link options. It would be nice if it also looked at compile options.

I'm not involved with pricing or licensing.

We looked at Changeman.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's the best SCM I've used and would definitely recommend it.

it_user538221
          Component Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Defines test, pre-production and production environments. There is no concept of application and version management of these applications.

What is most valuable?

• Adaptable to respond to all customer needs: It is configuration management software. It retains all the components of a computer system. The entire application fabrication process is described in Endevor. It specifically defines all environments: testing environment, pre-production and production. The components follow the manufacturing process that are to be kept in the production reference.
          • History and components of application protection

How has it helped my organization?

• Traceability and the history of changes in applications
          • Monitoring and consistency in the application development process, from development to production implementation
          • The ease of the backspace

What needs improvement?

This software is made to keep the components' and change history. There is no concept of application and version management of these applications. It is in this area that it could be improved.

I have used this solution since 1997 in several companies with mainframes (banking, insurance, and pension funds).

There were malfunctions in earlier versions. The software has been stable in recent years.

Technical support is correct.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Implementation requires a good level of knowledge and expertise.

The license price is high, so big companies with a large information system can have this software.

I only know of three types of software that meet our needs. Endevor is the most widespread in France. LCM is not available in France.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good choice, but it requires a good level of knowledge to implement. Call on experienced people to implement it.

it_user572874
          IT Manager at Experian
          Video Review
          It has what that you need for auditors: who asked for the change, when the change moved up, all the different stages, and where the approvals are.

What is most valuable?

One of Endevor's most valuable features is the ability to have your source in a repository that keeps track of all of your versions. It also has your ACMQ, which allows you to keep track of your input and output components. It has everything in it that you need for auditors: who asked for the change, when the change moved up, all the different stages, and where the approvals are. So, when we have auditors come in, we can trace it from production all the way down through the development, and the changes that we made at a line level.

How has it helped my organization?

When we first brought Endevor in, we had a lot of issues with audits. We had Librarian. We had Panvalet. When we brought Endevor in, almost 18-20 years ago, the auditing issues went down dramatically, once we had everyone into Endevor, using it, and we had everything turned on. Now, when we have audits, they go through smoothly. They barely ask us any questions because we can prove the changes all the way up through production, and there's no issue with having to come back for information later.

Right now, we're looking at moving into DevOps, so I'm glad to see that CA has started DevOps on the mainframe. We're looking at using the Eclipse user interface, which will make it easier to move off of ISPF, and we're looking at possibly using Application Lifecycle Conductor. Endevor plugs into that so that we can use more of a pipeline for DevOps and for agile processing; get the pipeline in place so that we can trigger off and go to tools such as JIRA, Jenkins, and still be connected to the mainframe so our projects are all in one.

What needs improvement?

There is one feature, the sandbox feature, that allows you to virtually create environments for developments and then, once your project is done, those environments go away as you move up through the lifecycle. You can always build new environments.

That's a very good feature, but there are pieces of it that make it difficult to use for my company because of the way we have our data set up. There are some features in there I would like to see improved.

The Sandbox feature was added a few years ago and would be very helpful, but there are several companies that cannot use the feature due to the design. The Sandbox feature reuses the Subsystem field as an identifier for the sandbox then returns the modules back to the original subsystem when done. However there is no mechanism to save the old subsystem field at the module level, so only modules from one subsystem can go into a sandbox. That’s great for standalone or simple applications.
          My company uses object oriented code with several layers, so one application may use many subsystems. Without the ability to map the modules back to their original subsystems we cannot use the sandbox feature. It would have worked well if a new field was introduced for the sandbox name instead of using the subsystem. Perhaps a new field or table could be added that would save the old subsystem so it could be replaced when the modules move out of the sandbox.

Currently the only solution is to continue creating environments for use with agile development which is a maintenance nightmare, or ask the application teams to redesign their software so it is contained within their own applications. This is not an option. So we’re going with the maintenance nightmare. I’ve tried designing a solution around the sandbox feature but it will be just as complicated as writing my own solution.

We have had this product for 18-20 years.

Endevor's very stable. We haven't had any issues with it going down. It's on the mainframe, so there really are no issues with stability.

We have five sysplexes. We've increased the number of LPARs. We've increased the number of business units; the lines of code. Everything is increased and we've automated moving things to production, so it really, it scales very well. We've had no issues with that.

We've used technical support several times, when they come out with new features. If we have issues with the features, or we're trying to figure out how we can use them best, we call technical support. Technical support has been great. They point us to the documentation; they'll help us with any issues; they work through everything very quickly.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I was a developer at that point, so I worked with Endevor from the other side.

Later on, I came in as the technical lead on Endevor. At that point, I was involved in cleaning up and streamlining what we had in our Endevor implementation.

The upgrade processes have changed over the years. The upgrade process is very easy now. It's an easy download and then we just have to do our testing. Rolling it out to the users is very simple.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you involve the technical people from CA on your design. When you bring your tools in, make sure you tell them what you're trying to solve, so they can help you design it correctly the first time, because once you get it in, it's difficult to change the way your design is without disrupting your business.

I haven't seen a perfect product, mostly because the products are usually very good in mainframe or distributed. I haven't seen a product that's really good in both. If it were good in both the mainframe and distributed source code, I would give it a perfect rating.

it_user558000
          CA-7 Administrator at The Home Depot
          It controls the migration of JCL and PARMs. The security component enables you to lock down source code.

What is most valuable?

The security component of CA Endevor enables you to lock down the source code. It's very important for the source code be secure in a Fortune 500 company. Once you lock it down, you must belong to a specified group to access it. From there, you can view it, you can’t edit or update it. You can look at the source code, but you can't modify it.

I also use CA Endevor to migrate JCL and PARMs from my distributor jobs, which I use for SAP Finance Arm software. I use C7 Scheduler to run batch jobs. For those batch jobs, I use Endevor to migrate the JCL and PARMs. So Endevor is my source code that enables me to bring the JCL and PARMs from AD to ST to QA to production. I create the JCL and PARMs from cycle one; and I migrate all the way up to production. Endevor controls all of this.

How has it helped my organization?

For most companies, securing the source code is absolutely essential.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see it used for Hadoop, which is really huge now. I would like to see it integrated with that concept.
          • It's primarily a mainframe product, but I would love it be more scalable outside of the mainframe, such as on Windows and Unix platforms.
          • Durability

CA Endevor is a very scalable product. It's scalable in the sense that I use it for all my distributed scheduling, Java batch, SAP, and mainframe jobs. So three platforms use CA Endevor for JCL control and migration.

Technical support was excellent.

Endevor has always been our source code. The support they provide for their products is bar none: excellent. If we have any problems with the product, CA support is always there for us. They're always talking to us about enhancing their products as well.

What other advice do I have?

Give CA and their products a try.

it_user558165
          Lead Infrastructure Engineer at Thrivent financial
          The application lifecycles allow developers to do their own work at lower stages.

What is most valuable?

• We utilize the security associated behind Endevor.
          • The external security interface that we use.
          • The application lifecycles, to allow developers to do their own work at lower stages, and then turn it over to our production control area for subsequent installs, eventually into production.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us manage homegrown and vendor-purchased software, where we maintain the source.

What needs improvement?

As a matter of fact, I am involved with end-of-sprint reviews. The product is being managed by the Agile development process. I've been invited as an owner of the product from outside to actually participate in the end-of-sprint reviews. I'm able to ask questions about features they're representing, as well as to request updates through the CA Community site.

There's always room for improvement. It's just a matter of what that improvement would be. I actually attended a recent CA conference to try to better understand how to utilize Endevor at our own shop, in an Agile development methodology. Currently, I'm pretty much all waterfall-type progression, so I’m not very agile at all. But more and more areas of our company are turning to Agile management.

Stability is very solid.

We have an IT department of around 600 employees. About a third of those manage software on the mainframe. So, 200 to 300 employees use Endevor Software Control Manager.

We use technical support on occasion. I've had questions, but no real issues. I've had questions about usage of the product, which have been answered by CA Support; not actually installing fixes to the product, but better understanding how to use the product. They were very helpful.

I was not involved in the initial setup, which happened back in 1993.

I've been in this role for the last eight years. Lately, I've actually installed and upgraded the last two releases of the software. It's gone very well.

The only other vendor I could possibly think of would be Compuware.

What other advice do I have?

It's not a perfect solution. I never rate anything perfect.

it_user558126
          Endevor Administrator at SunTrust Investment Services, Inc.
          A secure tool that does not lose elements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its security and its inability to not lose anything. We've been using it for 10 years at this company, and I used it previously for 17 years and I have never lost an element.

How has it helped my organization?

The way we have it implemented it, the developers really don't have to “work to make it work”. For example, they can take a COBOL program, hand it to Endevor, and the tool takes it, compiles it, and does everything it needs to do with it. They don't have to do any interactive work.

What needs improvement?

With the scrum teams that Pete McCullough is working on in the Endevor community, I really can't say what we would like. We make our inputs on a weekly basis and they work on it. Previous to this solution, we would hope and hope to get something and it would take forever, if we would get it at all. Now things are coming to fruition much faster. So there's really not anything that we're yearning for. It's coming true. I don't know what else I would suggest for improvement.

We've been using it for 10 years at this company, and I used it previously for 17 years.

The tool is extremely stable. In fact, our leadership often asks what Endevor is because they have never heard it. It never breaks. It never has any issues.

Scalability in our environment is pretty robust. We're able to change it on-the-fly whenever we need to. The upgrades are fairly simple. We just went through another upgrade and it was fairly simple.

They're very attentive and they respond rapidly to us. This is a good change from how it used to be for the last 5-6 years.

We were using a different solution. When I moved to the company, I realized that it was time to get on board with cutting edge technology and get out of the arcade toy world.

I was involved in setup. It was complex from the aspect that we were going from a different, core product. It was complex converting everything over to the libraries. But CA was very, very helpful in getting that work done for us.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, check the quality of the tools, the stability, and most importantly, the customer response to issues.

Our short list was CA and IBM. IBM couldn't do what we wanted them to do, even though they told us that they could. So CA won hands down.

I've been in this world for quite a few years and I haven't seen anything that's even close to doing what Endevor does. Give me a call. I seriously recommend that you consider this solution. Talk to the techs at CA. Ask the CA reps to contact you. They can really give you solid advice.

it_user558075
          Senior Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
          During the development lifecycle, our software is available and reliable.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to maintain; also the automation.

How has it helped my organization?

We primarily benefit in terms of the availability and reliability of our software during the development lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of areas: using it cross-platform; across a diverse set of application portfolios, including legacy systems, as well as open systems; both waterfall and Agile development. I'm not sure I can say there's one particular focus. We can have more features.

We find the solution to be very stable. There are no major issues or problems that I'm aware of.

We run a very large enterprise, so it scales very well for us.

We get very good and timely responses from support. It is very good.

This solution has been in place for a long time, longer than I've been around.

I'm not sure I can say which vendors were on the short list, but I can tell you that decisions are made primarily from the standpoint of cost effectiveness for the business, as well as the product features and functions. It must be able to meet the minimum requirements as well as be cost effective. The overall efficiency and effectiveness is there; and the responsiveness is there.

When I choose a vendor, I look at stability, reliability, responsiveness, and efficiency.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Talk to customers. Don't just rely on market research. Find what other people's experiences have been. It's very valuable.

it_user558645
          Mainframe Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Full auditability, customization, and scalability.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are definitely its customization facilities and its scalability for our organization. Those are the two biggest things from which we can leverage value.

How has it helped my organization?

We've got full auditability through the product and that's a huge thing for a financial organization to have in place just from one product. The great thing about the new features is that CA reacts directly to us. We demand new features as customers and they just build it right away. We wanted long names to be put into the product so we could store longer named file definitions and element definitions and that's being released right now. That was from a requirement. In a very short time, CA made a requirement into the real end game.

What needs improvement?

While CA is able to react to our requests for new features, I think the downside is they don’t use as much long, or medium term strategy anymore.

It is extremely stable software. We don't see it fail. Even with product upgrades it is solid. It has never failed in its history at the bank.

It is completely scalable as a solution. That is important to us. We've probably got one of the biggest implementations of Endevor as a CA customer and it scales completely to our requirements. It provides six terabytes of space. I don't think anybody else providing more space that.

I'm not sure because I didn't select CA as a vendor. I guess price, realistically, has a lot to do with the end solution of what you're actually choosing. Features and stability should be on the list, but realistically, price has to be in there as well.

What other advice do I have?

You need a team of people to support this product. It's not a buy and forget product. You need a team of experienced personnel to support it and they'll gain that experience over time. It's not something you can just go out and buy and implement and have all of the functions and all of the features given to you straight away. You need the professionals behind it to actually do this.

Configuration Management Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Provides good visibility of code changes, and change history. It provides good security options as well.

What is most valuable?

We switched from a home grown Librarian based System to Endevor starting in 2009. The product provides good visibility of code changes, and change history. It provides good security options as well.

The biggest benefit we have gained from using this product is the decrease in deployment errors. With our old system, binds and new copies were done manually based on paperwork filled out by the programmer. Now all that is done through Endevor processors.

The biggest irritation I have is the footprint checking process. Once the footprints get out of sync it is hard to tell what the issue is and to fix it.

Support is quite good for this product, although it has become a little more time consuming lately. All calls now appear to go through a general service person first. I have always gotten attention the same day. Not always a fix or an answer that quick, but at least a response from a service tech letting me know they had the problem and were working on it.

The product is still being actively enhanced and there is a strong user community.

How has it helped my organization?

We cut implementation errors by around 99%. Less effort is required by developers to set up migrations and the moves are much easier and less prone to problems.

What needs improvement?

Endevor can be very rigid. When you install and set up your map which controls the way code moves between stages it is important to be sure it is like you are going to want it for the long hall. The map is complicated to change once code is in flight. Each stage is related to the next and this relationship can only be changed when elements are at specific points in the migration cycle.

We have been using this product since 2009.

The biggest issue we had was kick back from staff that didn't like change. We also picked an installer that had a set way of doing the job and so we have an install we don't like. I would strongly suggest that new users take time to understand the product and the different ways it can be set up instead of letting someone just decide for them.

No issues with stability at all.

No issues with scalability.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support is also very good.

We had our own home grown solution that required constant maintenance and patching.

The internal setup is complex and rigid. Get it like you want it the first time. The actual product install is not complex.

We used a contract installer recommended to us by another company, not from CA. This company had a set way that they did the installs and we were not proficient enough with the product to object to some of the things that were done. I strongly suggest that new users take the time to understand the product BEFORE the install.

We did evaluate several products including IBM ClearCase and MKS.

What other advice do I have?

Our company uses ROSCOE for it's primary development. Although ROSCOE and Endevor are owned by the same company, the ROSCOE interface for Endevor is many years out of date.

it_user493998
          Lead Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It allows us to see all code modifications and provides a smooth transition into production.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features of Endevor include the ability to see all code modifications and a smooth transition into production.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization now has standardized change management processes for implementation into production. With our old process, any number of people could have put code into production, but now Endevor is the only user who can touch production.

What needs improvement?

The parts of Endevor which we use do not need improving as they work very well.

Endevor offers many flexible processing options, but our organization does not use the product’s capabilities to their fullest potential. The processing options in our shop work quite well and are easy to understand.

Conversion to Endevor began about nine years ago.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Each version upgrade of Endevor has been stable.

As Endevor moves through the stages toward production, disk space can become an issue. PDSE structures resolve space issues.

Endevor technical support is definitely a 10/10. I have few issues with Endevor which require technical support. However, when I do submit an issue or question, response is immediate.

Our previous solution was an in-house developed system. The switch to Endevor was made because the in-house developed system was cumbersome to use and was lacking accountability.

The initial Endevor setup was very straightforward. After setting up the system and subsystem information within Endevor, source code is ported into Endevor through a batch process. Endevor keeps track of components for each element, so one part does not move into production without the other parts.

I’m not sure if other options were evaluated. Endevor had already been selected by the time I joined the team.

What other advice do I have?

Do not bring the current process into Endevor. Consider moving forward using standard methodology, and make the move to Endevor a priority project.

It’s a very nice product and runs without errors.

it_user507369
          Configuration Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          You can use Quick Edit to change a single object, save it and have it kick off the build in a development stage.

Valuable Features

I thought the most valuable feature of the product was maturity in the process, in the tool itself. In other words, while there were many things we would have liked it to have done, what it did, it did very well.

Over the course of many years of usage, one of the things that we found that some customers wanted to have was point-in-time recovery, which was one thing that I worked on. I remember I was on a project that was called Space Station Freedom at the time, with NASA. They felt like they needed to have a point-in-time recover process. They built that into the tool. They got it done, so there was a way to do it.

Quick Edit was a big add-on. Initially, when I started working with the tool, there was pretty much, "Use your own text editor." ISPF, because everything was ISPF based. You would add it into the tool through the normal script language or core ground processing. Well, they came up with something called Quick Edit, which was an add-on to the tool, but it was seamless. It just gave you an editor where you could go in and change a single object and save it and have it kick off the build in a development stage. It was that automation that really, I think, helped catapult Endevor because before, it was little bit more restrictive. It was more cumbersome to work with.

Since then, I haven't done a whole lot with it.

Improvements to My Organization

I'd say, overall, as a development tool, it helped us to automate processes that otherwise were very manually intensive. As a release tool, there probably could have been some additional enhancements, but it was effective. I could easily go from one LPAR to the next LPAR at the push of a button.

The funny thing is that I've learned that most organizations didn't know how much they appreciated it until they didn't have it.

There were a lot of developers who naturally oppose any process that they would deem to be making their jobs more cumbersome. In other words, more overhead on the task that they had to complete. The automation that we were able to build in; we were doing essentially some aspects of agile development before it was even a concept, because we were doing integrated builds every hour, on the hour, with no problems. It was virtually automated, totally automated. All the program had to do was finish your code, let us know, approve a package, and then it would go.

It was just a very nice process. When it was running properly, it was very transparent relative to the whole application development lifecycle.

Use of Solution

I have used it off and on for about 26 years.

It was very consistent. When implemented appropriately, it was very solid. It was very stable; it was dependable. I never failed an audit with Endevor.

The only time that we really had down time is when we abuse it or we didn't follow our regular maintenance process. I can think of maybe once or twice in all the years that I've had it where the MCF was corrupted, or the package data set was corrupt, because either one of them could be catastrophic.

They were built on a solid VSAM validation, so it really never caused a lot of issues in that way, although from time to time, some of the share options were not allocated appropriately. Therefore, we might have run into issues of performance degradation, normally, when the share options weren't set right.

There was something called L-serve, which was a separate component that ran as an instance to start a task. That helped improve performance. I remember at one point it did, but in my last installation, we didn't even use it. I was able to use PDSEs and everything was fine, along with the V-samp files which were for the MCF.

I think the scalability did improve over the years, because if there were was issues with performance degradation, it would have been due to not configured properly. For example, too many environments that were nested or linked to each other, which caused a problem because the search routines would have to go through multiple sets of data sets in order to resolve what it is that you were querying. It really depends on how you set that up. Numbers or integers can cause performance degradation, but with that said, there are companies out here that have hundreds, if not thousands, of people connected to Endevor. They do not have these problems, so I know there are probably testimonies much better than mine that could prove that. I've known of many companies that they were using it on a very large operation. Mine might have had, over the last 10 years, maybe 100 or 150 programmers, but I know of others that have 600, 700, 800 or more.

Support has always been excellent. I know Paul Lewis is still there. I remember he was one of the first people I talked to. He would give you that tough love. He says, "Well, when in doubt, try it out." That was always the same. I would say something like, "Paul, do you think I could do this? Do you think I could do that?" His response: "Oh, well, Mark, when in doubt, try it out." I said, "Okay."

I'd go try it and maybe it would work. If it was something that he knew for sure that I was the one exploring it and we were at second- or third-level support, he would say something like, "Okay, well, we have a problem," or right away he would tell me if it was a known issue. There's no way that any company's supporting a product like that, or for any product, knows of all of the variants or considerations - just by searching a data base repository.

Other Advice

Work with CA, a third party or CA consultancy to do a proof-of-concept; not just the demo out of the can, but actually take an application or some part of an application, do a POC, and then get it on your machine. Even if you have to pay for it, it would be worth it, because that's going to set a foundation for you to be successful with the initial implementation. One thing, when working with the consulting company, they're going to have a better view of your configurations, your systems, and your environment. Work with them, and that will make you successful in the long run.

I have not given a perfect rating because I would want that one extra point to be for some subjective criteria that I haven't even thought of.

it_user481224
          Process Specialist II at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Our processes are streamlined in that we only have to create a single package and all of the information is there for audit.

What is most valuable?

As an administrator, the csv utility and reporting are vital in obtaining information for leadership.

How has it helped my organization?

The introduction of promotion packages was awesome. In the past, we would have to create multiple (up to five) packages to move coded changes into production. We had to have a naming standard in place in order to be able to pull the information for audit. Now, our processes are streamlined in that we only have to create a single package and all of the information is there for audit.

What needs improvement?

The Eclipse based UI still needs improvement and CA is working on that in v18.

I have been using Endevor for 16 years at three different companies.

I have not seen any stability issues.

I have not seen any scalability issues.

I would rate technical support as very good.

Endevor has been in place as long as I have worked in my current role.

I did not perform the installation.

I did not choose this product.

it_user481212
          Software Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
          Self-installation z/OS workflow is helpful.

Valuable Features

• Resilience capacity for mainframe applications
          • Self-installation z/OS workflow
          • Informative content to save a rich source of events, such as a movie of the real evolution of our IS

Improvements to My Organization

For any organization to succeed in implementing this software is dependent upon the resilience of staff in the face of frequent organizational changes of the information system and in their work. It can manage the continuous-flow deliveries or cascade deliveries.

Room for Improvement

Globally this product manages back end process powered by z/OS. The interface could be improved in terms of the MMI/HMI. For example, with monitoring, the graphic view of the evolution of the IS.

Conceptually this system is based on a centralized vision. An improvement axis should exist to help you open your system and to decentralizing it. Converge a unified HMI for, and propose, more analyses and opportunities for the graphical analysis of the content of data included in repositories.

We've had issues with the stability of the genotype, the repository integrity.

It's OK, but it could be better with an incremental approach.

They are serious and display empathy.

It's complex because it depends upon your development architecture. Also, it's reached the limits of automation and freedom given to end users.

Other Advice

You need to think why you want to use an application configuration management system and if it matches with your development objectives.

it_user386565
          Sr Communications Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Video Review
          It’s enabled us to find a way to make sure the code stays in one area and to make it secure.

Valuable Features

Endevor was brought in because we wanted to stop developers from making production changes in production. It’s enabled us to find a way to make sure the code stays in one area, and to make it secure. Therefore they’re not allowed to do that anymore. It’s a change management tool and that’s the way we use it.

Room for Improvement

They’ve got little things that I would like to see. It’s more for the administrative side as opposed to the developer who uses Endevor. Since I’m one of the administrators, I'd like to be able to use wildcards a little more often when I’m querying things.

It’s very stable. We don’t have any issues. Whenever we have an issue, we can call them up and say, “Hey, we got a problem.” They’ll fix it right away.

It's very scalable. They’re becoming more and more scalable every day because a lot of people are trying to get rid of the mainframe, not realizing that it’s still just a giant server and it can be used for that. It holds more data, and runs things faster.

Our upgrade plans: the plan is to upgrade. The more and more systems you add to it, and the fact that it handles other things that it never used to do that people wouldn't even think of it doing. It does grow with you and you can keep going with it.

It’s great. We’ve never had a problem. I would recommend that anybody, if you’ve got one of their tools, join one of the user groups because they do have input on the way things are done and any changes you need, they’re willing to listen and to help you out should you have a problem.

It’s straightforward as long as you know the mainframe. If you don’t know the mainframe, they’ve gotten better with the instructions. It’s more like a distributed side. They’ve gotten a lot better, so it’s a lot easier. They’ve got little things that I would like to see. It’s more for the administrative side as opposed to the developer who uses Endevor.

Other Solutions Considered

It's important for us that it actually handles the job that we need it to, that it actually covers everything for Endevor. We needed to make sure that we can actually put security in there so not everybody can touch anybody else’s code or anything like that and that it does incorporate the other CA tools that we use going forward.

Other Advice

I’d probably give it a ten because I’ve used it for fifteen years. I love it. The developers now love it, so it’s all good.

I highly recommend for current users to keep it and keep going forward with it because it is very useful, the user group is great. You can get lots of help from everybody out there.

it_user373500
          Sr. Systems Engineers at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          Video Review
          It's used for managing source code and executables. It's standardized the build process for us.

What is most valuable?

I think some of the most valuable things with Endevor, as far as the build process, before we had Endevor, everyone had their own way of building an application. With Endevor it's very, very standardized. Once an application is built one time through Endevor, there next time you go to build the application again it works exactly the same way. It's very repeatable and very reliable. That's a huge part of it. It's used to for managing source code and executables throughout the entire software life cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of the other benefits are the security that goes along with Endevor, the only way that you'd be able to update the output executable in the source code in Endevor would be to go through the product and use the product to do it. You really can't bypass the security and go around the product. You have a very, very tight source code to executable synchronization. They're linked together. I can go out to a load library and be able to go back to the source code that made up the executable very, very quickly. Very, very important, and the auditors very much love the product because it really satisfies a lot of the auditor requirements we have at our company.

What needs improvement?

Some of the things we want to look at is expanded Unix system services support within Endevor. From talking to the product manager, I know that that's coming up in future versions of Endevor. They're very, very good at getting information from customers to make sure that they're going in the right direction with future releases of the product.

Very, very stable. We just upgraded to release 17 about 6 months ago. We had 0 defects with it from our view with the release of Endevor release 17. Very, very smooth, very reliable, no real issues with it since we installed it.

Excellent, we have it architected in our company so we can add applications in or take applications out very, very easily. Very, very scalable, and the performance of it is awesome. We've never had really had any performance issues. It works very, very smoothly throughout the entire process.

I know all the technical support people in Framingham who deal with Endevor. No exaggeration, I put a service call in, and within 5 minutes I get a call back from CA asking about the problem, and they're requesting a little bit more detail, so, very, very timely and very excellent customer support.

We're currently working on installing Unix system services on z/OS Long Name Support with Endevor. We've had some issues with it, primarily just educational types of issues. They've helped us work through that, so now we're pretty much on our way there. We still have some open items that we're working through, but right now that's internally in our organization. CA support has provided some really good support in respect to that issue as well as many, many other ones that we've had in the past.

Quite a few years ago we had homegrown software configuration management system. It was very, very difficult to maintain. We converted over to Endevor years and years ago, actually back in the 90s. We've been able to make changes to Endevor over the years to be able to keep up with the new technologies being released out in the environment. We're pretty much current right now. We don't really have any open requirements from our customers. We're able to get the new technologies brought into Endevor very cleanly. It's really open ended, so it can plug things in, take things out

What other advice do I have?

I think what we look at, first of all, just to make sure that technically the product is doing what we want it to do from a paper perspective, the documentation, and then I think being able to engage the vendor, talking through the product in real detail about some real specific cases that we have at our company, and making sure that the vendor could respond to those, and we feel comfortable that they'd be able satisfy our requirements.

Going back to when we first brought Endevor, Endevor was really the only one at that time, it was the first PLC that we did. Obviously, we brought Endevor in so we didn't really have to continue looking at other vendors. That was back in the early days of Endevor. Over the years it's gotten much more solid, a lot stronger. We brought Endevor in years ago when it was still maturing, and they still won as far as bringing in the product into our company.

Obviously we love the product. It does everything we want it to do. On the other side, it's not only the administrators of the product that really love the product, but our internal customers like it very much as well. It adds a lot of value to them. They're not even looking at, "Let's replace this with something else." There's no need to do that. It satisfies everything we want to do. There's nothing that it can't do as of right now.

I'm going to rate it a 10 because I just know it's the best out there in the industry. I've been very much an active member in out user group community over the years, talking to many, many people. As far as products in the industry, Endevor is definitely on top.

Everyone's a little bit different as far as the way they have it installed at their company. I think the biggest thing that I hear out there is the Unix system services support, expanding that support in Endevor. I hear that common theme, and CA knows that and they're working on delivering that as well.

My recommendation would be, definitely go with Endevor.

it_user351306
          President, Senior SEM Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          It increases productivity as it maintains version control for development in case developers want to regress or go back to a prior version.

Valuable Features

The quick edit function allows our dev staff to make modifications easily as well as maintain version control in case they want to regress or go back to a prior version.

Improvements to My Organization

It increases productivity as it maintains version control for development.

Room for Improvement

I'd like the processors to provide us the ability to dynamically set a symbolic.

It's very stable, which is why we use it and why others should too.

10/10. I’ve been working with CA support for years. I know them by first name.

Implementation Team

I provide training for it, and people tell me I'm far ahead of anyone else. I see it so much that for me implementation is simple, but for others for whom it's new, it may be difficult.

Other Advice

The one best piece of advice I can give is to make sure the person installing the software is qualified for the tool, so check their qualifications. There’s a lot of people who say they can do things, but they can’t. Make sure you get a list of clients. When asked for a recommendation, I always say Endevor.

Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, Compuware, and more!