CA Harvest Software Change Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CA Harvest Software Change Manager is #7 ranked solution in top Software Configuration Management tools. IT Central Station users give CA Harvest Software Change Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. CA Harvest Software Change Manager is most commonly compared to CA Endevor Software Change Manager:CA Harvest Software Change Manager vs CA Endevor Software Change Manager. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is CA Harvest Software Change Manager?
CA Harvest Software Change Manager (CA Harvest SCM) provides powerful, process-driven capabilities for managing development teams across your enterprise, encompassing multiple platforms and release management tools. This release management software enforces your IT governance policies and corporate compliance initiatives including those defined by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. It also can ensure adherence to your ITIL-based best practices. CA Harvest SCM can help your enterprise simplify the software release management process as well as the development and maintenance of business applications with streamlined workflows and automated source code versioning. This ITIL release management software can optimize your development resources by providing audit, protection and storage of your software assets, and standardized process management and defect tracking.

CA Harvest Software Change Manager was previously known as CA Harvest SCM, CA Software Change Manager.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

CA Harvest Software Change Manager Customers
State of New Hampshire, Blue Hill
CA Harvest Software Change Manager Video

Archived CA Harvest Software Change Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

GR
IT Specialist at First Rand Bank Ltd.

What is our primary use case?

The company is confidential and this is privileged information. I'm not at liberty to discuss this but we are in the financial services industry.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to implement proper controls into our software development life cycle. The application is adaptable to which development strategy you use (waterfall, agile etc.).

What is most valuable?

The ability to give our teams functionality from a control perspective, allowing them to decide how they want to implement the tool, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

Security features can be improved. Password complexity is not enforced by the tool. Passwords do not expire. User documentation in some cases is vague or is not helpful.

For how long have I used the

What is our primary use case?

More than five years.
JB
Application Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
This is the most difficult SCM tool I’ve ever used.

What is most valuable?

I appreciate the ability to separate the code by environments.

How has it helped my organization?

We are required to use this, but I personally wouldn’t have chosen it as our SCM of choice.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be simpler. This is the most difficult SCM tool I’ve ever used. It requires me to retrain new hires for several months. They should mimic TFS or Tortoise SVN.

The most common mistakes/hurdles new users have is checking in new files, or checking for updates.

If you don’t have your paths set perfectly, it’ll create a subfolder and all the files go in the wrong place, causing a headache to get it all fixed (so far, every new hire I’ve had has done this, some more than once).

The other issue, if you take a script for SQL Server Management Studio, save it, then check it in, it’ll most likely fail with an error message that doesn’t really give you any idea why it failed. So, you have to open the script in another text editor, and change the format to ANSI or something else to get it to work.

Another issue, sometimes, if I check out a file for update, and copy a file from another spot over this one, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn’t detect any changes (this doesn’t detect changes issue happens in other scenarios as well, I can’t give a solid way to duplicate it).

Creating folders is not very intuitive either, for example, sometimes I need to create a blank folder (say to store attachments from users). You can’t create folders in SCM, the only way to create a folder is to check in a file that’s in a folder and have it create it.

So you have to create a temporary file, check that in to create the folder, then delete the file. Hope this helps, the learning curve is steep for a source control program.

I have used it for four years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have never used it.

In previous companies, I utilized TFS, GitHub, and Tortoise SVN.

The installation was easy, but learning to use it was complex. Sometimes it wouldn’t recognize file changes. If the paths weren’t correct, it would put files into the wrong folders.

Pick another tool if you can

We did not evaluate alternatives as this was corporate mandated.

What other advice do I have?

Choose another product!

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Micro Focus and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user558207
Enhancement Engineer at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
It helps us identify where our source code is in the lifecycle. Managing polar requests for code reviews is difficult.

What is most valuable?

CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA Harvest SCM) provides a great way for us to store our source control. It provides the lifecycle features to identify where our source code is in the lifecycle of our software. The lifecycle stuff is probably the biggest feature that I like.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is really around the lifecycle features of the tool. It benefits our organization because it allows us to customize that lifecycle to match what we do, which makes it extremely easy for us to see where we are.

What needs improvement?

One of my personal favorite source control systems is Git. I've always been a huge fan of it. It is very, very easy to use. Things like GitHub and Bitbucket do a great job of managing Git and making it really, really easy for us to do things like polar requests for code reviews, and the separation of code into different swim lanes. That kind of management is really hard to do in Harvest, and I'd like to see that brought into the CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA Harvest SCM) product.

It does support us with our lifecycle, but the challenges with using it from a developer's point of view bring my score down a little bit. The features don’t always working as advertised.

The stability definitely could use some improvement. The software suite doesn't necessarily crash all the time, but some of the advertised features don't always work the way they've been promoted to work.

Scalability is very good. We use it on an enterprise level. We have a lot of outpatients who store their source code in there and we've never had any issues.

We were previously using a different solution. We ended up switching because we were out of support of the previous solution and we needed to upgrade to something. The old product was no longer being supported or created.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a strong desire for lifecycle with your source control management system, then by all means, CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA SCM) is the tool that should be researched and looked at. One word of advice is that CA is coming up with a new product called Unified Source Control. It provides an architecture that allows your developers to work with whatever tools they want, but in the backend, it uses CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA SCM).

When looking for a vendor, the thing that I really look for is enterprise support. We've worked with a couple small companies, and support has been a real big challenge. Enterprise support is one of the huge things for me.

it_user354771
IT Architect Specialist/Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It supports and helps implement our change management process, although it's challenged when multiple users and developers submit code changes.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature I would say is we can integrate that with our change management process and use that to control what goes into production and what doesn't. That is very important for us as any change that happens gets very closely watched, especially when we are making emergency changes or fixes. Harvest supports our change management process. That's where it shines.

Improvements to My Organization

Organizationally, the main benefit is it supports our processes and it helps implement them effectively.

Room for Improvement

When you're trying to do collaboration or when you're trying to cater to multiple users and developers who submit code changes, it gets challenging with Harvest. Typically, what we do is we lock the code as it gets checked out and we check it back in and benefits unlocked. When you are trying to do collaborative work, especially when your development streams are distributed, they are not co-located. Your people are working on multiple features affecting the same code. That's where it gets challenging, and other products in the market seem to be doing a better job at those features.

We have been using Harvest for several years now. In earlier years, I saw some stability issues, but recently I wouldn't say that. We had some issues where we were upgrading from an older version of Harvest to a newer version. There were some manual steps, and if we missed something, then we'd have to apply patches manually.

There were also times with the Harvest plug-in was incompatible with a new version of Eclipse. Developers had to use Workbench in order to use the Eclipse plug-in. That was a challenge.

The company grew through mergers and acquisitions. Some of the merged or acquired companies had their own margin control system other than Harvest. But in terms of pure scalability, it's catered to our needs so far.

We have another team that handles interactions with technical support, so I wouldn't know about that.

I was not involved.

Other Advice

Pick it if it fits your needs. If you have an environment where your development workforce is controlled, it's contained, and you want higher change management, then Harvest definitely seems like the way to go.

Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Micro Focus, and more!