CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation Overview

What is CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation?
z/OS, its subsystems, databases, middleware, applications, and software generate thousands of event messages daily. IT professionals need a tool to filter, prioritize, and respond quickly to these events before they impact availability and threaten business processing and associated service level agreements. CA OPS/MVS EMA automates processes, enabling you to resolve problems as they arise. It also automates more routine tasks, simplifying IT management and operations.

CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation is also known as CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation, Unicenter CA-OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation Customers
Tieto
CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Greg Payne
Sr. Analyst/Technology Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
It automates responses, preventing issues from becoming more severe

What is our primary use case?

Our use case now includes the addition of two new LPARs. OPS/MVS is implemented on both additional LPARs.

What other advice do I have?

For what it was produced for, it's an excellent product. It's done everything that we wanted to do with the product and more, which has been a really big help for us. It's made my job much easier. It's very sustainable and an extremely stable product over the last cycle that we have had it. They continue to enhance the product and make it easier for even more general users to use. After using it for some time, I still feel it's a great product: easy to install, implement, and administer.
NC
Lead Technology Architect – Systems Programmer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Enables orderly startup and shutdown of z/OS and all components

What is our primary use case?

System/ops automation, SSM, OPSLOG, etc.

• "Valuable features include: SSM, which provides for orderly startup and shutdown; OPSLOG, which enables filtering by message-id, and/or jobname(s); Rules, as OPS/REXX interface streamlines deployment, interfaces easily with JES2 and z/OS."
  • "The interfaces to USS, CA UIM could be better. CA Common Services interfaces - namely Zdata Mover, Zmessage Service, Zdatacolletcor - are poorly documented."

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user851853
Lead z/OS Systems Programmer
OPS/REXX allows us almost unlimited flexibility in automating our system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to automate our responses to messages, and to get early notification on potential problems. We also use it for orderly startups/shutdowns of the operating system and all started tasks.

• "OPS/REXX is valuable because it allows us almost unlimited flexibility in automating our system."
  • "One thing that comes to mind is the MQ interface. The last time we tried to use it, it seemed a little clunky."
  • "Performing a stop/restart of OPS/MVS could be a little smoother. Without special coding, some undesired tasks will be started and some necessary tasks will be stopped if we have to bounce OPS/MVS during the day."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. It's a superior product for automation.
it_user2991
z/OS system Programmer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
We can define complex commands, making training of new operators quicker

What is our primary use case?

z/OS automation.

• "Once automatic IPL has been defined, anyone can perform an IPL with very little intervention. We know that all of the components will be started correctly."
  • "Because we can define complex commands, the training of new operators is quicker. We can also put checks in place, that will prevent user errors."
  • "​It’s a complex product. The initial installation is easy, but implementing various functions is a constant process.​"

What other advice do I have?

Look at the samples. There is a lot of information there. Also, this product has integration with CA-SYSVIEW, and they work great together.
it_user778551
Operations Integration Specialist at TCF Financial Group
Easy to upgrade and easy to maintain

What is our primary use case?

Mainframe: Everything from message suppression to posting jobs in CA 7 and opening tickets. It is performing well.

• "It alerts the operators when it is time to repair the communications and the IPLs."
  • "I do not have to keep recordings. It is there and is proactive. It helps the operators, human editors, and me."
  • "​The follow-up surprised me. Making sure that I am happy with what I have gone to them on. They will call after I have made changes and verify that I am happy with the changes that I did have to make. If it did not fix the complete problem, they go back over it until I am satisfied.​"
  • "​The service has been wonderful. I like the people that I have had to deal with. The process is very straightforward. I call or use the website."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. It is a very friendly solution: Easy to upgrade and it is pretty self-contained. It does everything you need it to. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Responsiveness of support. * Easy to follow instructions. A lot of times you open a manual and it is like a foreign language to you, if you don't have the knowledge upfront. You need a vendor there to explain it, and CA has been very helpful.
    LC
    Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Stability is the best out-of-the-box. Put it in, set it up, and you leave it alone.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of OPS/MVS is automation on the mainframe system, controlling resources, and tasks. The performance of it is beyond exceptional. It is probably one of the best products that I have ever worked with. It is easy to use, comprehensive, and can perform almost any task you need it to.

• "The performance of it is beyond exceptional. It is probably one of the best products that I have ever worked with. It is easy to use, comprehensive, and can perform almost any task you need it to."
    • "Stability is probably the best out-of-the-box. Put it in, set it up, and you leave it alone. It works wonderfully."
    • "The documentation is simple, easy to follow, and use. A limited, first-time systems programmer can do it, in that it is out-of-the-box almost functional."
    • "Their technical support is incredible, immediately responsive, and even if it is not updated to Level 2 support sometimes, they chip in providing more detailed answers and options to fix the problem."
    • "The GUI interface could be improved, but that is coming. They are working on that."
    • "The further expansion of the mainframe teamcenter interface. Also, the web services support is something that I am looking into."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Cost * Functionality * Cost of the business.
    it_user581055
    IT Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Video Review
    Enables us to cope with some incidents before they happen

• "It's a very stable product. I very much like the SSM stuff in it. The rules engine, it's awesome."

What other advice do I have?

Regarding important criteria when selecting a vendor, it's all together: It's the stability, it's the support. I also know some of the developer guys, and that's really an add-on if you know them, and you can talk to them straight here at CA World. It's definitely a 10 out of 10, because it's a very stable product. It's a really fast product. It's one of the best on the market. I compared other products like stuff from IBM, BMC, with it, and it's nothing like anything else on the market for the moment.
      it_user778836
      Infrastructure Engineer Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      The simplicity means easy adoption; for us it's flexible and scalable across the enterprise

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor day-to-day activity in the system and to automate things like start-up, start a task. Basic overall health of the mainframe, and day-to-day business as usual. It has performed very well.

• "It allows us to respond faster to issues. If there are issues that come out, we're able to capture a message and alert somebody about it."
      • "It's very flexible. You can customize what you need to, which is good. For example, you can do your own coding inside the tool, make your own scripting tooling."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is how closely do we partner with them, that is the biggest thing for us. What kind of attention do they give us when we have issues? We're satisfied with that with CA. I give it an eight out of 10. There is always room for improvement. To get it to a 10, I will know when they do it. Maybe it's cheaper, maybe it's some new flexibility in the product that we've never even thought about. If they anticipate the industry, what's going forward, what's out there, is it something that you would maybe use it in the cloud. For the mainframe it's a…
        it_user779109
        IT Director at McKesson
        Considering its longevity, it's functioning well with ROI continuing to grow

What is our primary use case?

It's distribution. The logistics of distribution. Warehousing, distribution, inventory control, shipping, bills of material. Considering it's 35 years old, it's still functioning well, primarily because of the resources that are available, and tools that have been introduced that can connect to legacy applications.

• "It's very secure, because it's a legacy application."
        • "Because of its age, it's a little bit difficult to modernize some of the integrations and some of the functions."
        • "It definitely needs more web-based interface, to be more mobile-open. More APIs, more open source to it."
        • "Scalability is zero. It cannot be scaled because of its age."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are depth of support, intelligence on the industries that we are in, and similarities of different organizations so we can leverage their data points to make sure that we have a streamlined approach on support going forward. I would look at the vendor's internal teams to see if there people capable of supporting it, and what it will take to ensure that there is sustainability around it. And last but not least, what is the roadmap of the product compared to the roadmap of your company? Strategically, they should be in lock step.
        it_user779253
        Staff Specialist at M&T
        ​It is an easy product to use and it is stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it to look for jobs that are running late in our scheduling system.

How has it helped my organization?

It can save money. If something is late, there are lots of dollars lost.

What is most valuable?

To help monitor our scheduling system, in case there is something late.

I have never seen it go down unless we brought it down with the system.

I have not used the technical support.

I was not involved.

What other advice do I have?

It is an easy product to use and it is stable.
        it_user778542
        Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
        Allows us to always meet our time critical requirements through automation

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is the automation of all of tasks. I used the scheduling feature and also automation of various time-critical top functions and facilities.

• "With the automation pieces we can bring this region up or take this region down, and it allows us to always meet our time critical requirements."
        • "If something breaks and it goes down when it's not supposed to, automation brings it right back up."
          it_user779298
          Systems Programmer at Regions Financial Corporation
          Allows us to schedule jobs into priority groups, and I can interrupt and restart a job if needed

What is our primary use case?

We use OPS to manage our workflow with jobs. It performs great.

• "I can and interrupt what's going on, bring a job down if I need to, and bring it back up."
          • "Some of the command sequences are too long."

What other advice do I have?

It works well.
          it_user778950
          Systems Programmer at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

The primary usage is we try to automate the system message, then transfer it to the command to automatically respond to the system requirement message.

• "It reduces the number of repetitive motions required by a human to respond to the system."
          • "The reason sometimes it is not stable, we do not have the expertise to write the script.​"

What other advice do I have?

We really do need this product. We have the necessity now, because we have implemented for so long that we can't function without this product. Implement and write the script correctly from the beginning. Make sure and plan out ahead. Plan the project five, six, or seven years ahead, instead of just installing, implementing, and starting. Plan ahead.
          it_user778800
          Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
          System State Manager tools make starting and stopping a mainframe seamless

What is our primary use case?

Mainframe automation. In terms of performance, it is the gold standard in mainframe automation.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely get a demo and look at this product and compare it to what they're running. All of these vendors have conversion processes, so I'm sure they'd have to do the other stuff that I don't do, make the dollars work. If it works I'd do it.
          it_user572892
          Lead Software Programmer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Video Review
          It's been stable for years and technical support has been responsive.

What other advice do I have?

With any company nowadays, senior people are being shipped out, basically retiring. New people are coming in and, in the mainframe industry, a lot of the newcomers do not know the mainframe. So, having that automation platform in place and having it learn throughout the years, we had to do something. We started off as a beta site for CA, so we learned throughout the years that it's worked value for us and even reduced head count, so that was a good thing. I'm happy with what we've seen with CA OPS/MVS.
          it_user558474
          Programmer 3 at Shelter insurance
          Has given us the ability to track problems and create service tickets to resolve them.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the most important thing is the ability to meet our needs. CA does a very good job of that. It's a very solid product. This tool is very good as far as doing what we need it to do. I would recommend others to look at it and compare it to other products on the market. I think they'll find that OPS/MVS is a leader in the automation industry.
          it_user558486
          Senior Systems Administrator 2 at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
          It is capable of solving problems across different platforms and different software products.

What other advice do I have?

You should install version 12.3 as it makes it a lot easier to set it up. Stability is a major criteria for selecting a vendor. Ease of working with a vendor is also an important factor. Compared to the products on the market, it is hands down the best one.
          it_user558285
          Systems Analyst / Programmer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It provides flexible, reliable and customizable active monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go with OPS/MVS. We still occasionally review what's in the market to make sure that it's still the best product for us and we have never been disappointed by it.
          it_user558138
          IT System Software - Technical Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Initial setup was pretty straightforward. Documentation is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would say yes, definitely use it. The ease of using it and the training is useful. It's very good.
          it_user493494
          Vice President, Managing Director Defined Contribution at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          We control our DR tests with it so our operations staff does not have to manage it using the NetView interface.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to simply install it in a test environment first, then play with all the features. I know there are also many samples and tools provided, such as how to set up a table to start up your system tasks.
          it_user493545
          Senior System Programmer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Our largest LPAR currently has 633 tasks defined to SSM. We can shut the system down and have it back up in 30 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

If converting from a different product, all of your existing code (REXX, rules, clists,...) will have to be rewritten. It is NOT hard, but it is time consuming. If you are installing automation for the first time, use the samples, and be aware that automation is an evolution and it takes time for everything to fall into place. Once it does, life becomes MUCH easier and system stability improves tremendously.
          it_user493992
          Mainframe System Sofware Support at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
          After implementing SSM, IPL time went from being manual commands to eight minutes via SSM.

What is most valuable?

System State Manager (SSM) and the RDF, EPI, POI REXX functions and commands Global variables MSF OPSLOG Archive capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

After implementing SSM, we dropped our IPL time from 40 minutes via manual commands to eight minutes via SSM.

What needs improvement?

Use something other than CCI for external communications.

I have been using it 20+ years.

I have not encountered any stability issues; very stable product.

I have not encountered any scalability issues; very scalable.

Technical support gets the highest rating;…
          it_user480786
          Mainframe Automation Support at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
          MSP
          The ability to manipulate the autoflag has allowed us to setup the kind of message forwarding that is important to our end users.

What other advice do I have?

If you're at the point of implementation, take advantage of CA technical support and the local OPS online community. Both are extremely helpful and willing to give advice to help new people avoid potential problems.
          it_user481269
          Production Control with 1,001-5,000 employees
          I like the System State Manager and all the built-in functions.

What is most valuable?

System State Manager and all the built-in functions.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s invaluable for expediting the shutdowns/IPLs of our z/OS LPARs and monitoring our z/OS LPARs for issues/problems.

What needs improvement?

It needs to have more compatibility/interfaces to other vendors’ products.

I've used it for more than 15 years.

Upgrading the product, either adding maintenance, or moving to a new release, is usually painless.

Some earlier releases crashed occasionally, very rarely with recent releases.

Adding OPS to a new LPAR or…
          it_user489162
          Senior Automation Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Individual rules for various events can be updated in flight without bouncing the product.

What other advice do I have?

CA give a lot of support as standard for converting between products, including sample rules and REXXes. Use all the support you can get.
          it_user350031
          Snr Vice president CIO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          ​It's adapted well to the mainframe after a complex setup, but as the product is feature rich, you don’t know if you've implemented correctly most of the time.

Valuable Features

The effectiveness and stability of the solution is something that we require and something that this solution delivers.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s a mature product that does what it’s supposed to do and does exactly what we bought it for.

Room for Improvement

I’m not aware of any complaints from my team; I hear nothing but good things. It was, however, a complex setup in the mainframe. Setup should be made much more straightforward.

After the initial setup, it's deployed without issue.

Today it handles everything very well. A while back, that wasn’t the case, but now it is and we are content with it.

It has adapted well to the mainframe, but we haven’t ported it to any other platform…
          it_user351621
          IT System Analyst - Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          The ability to use command rules is great when our operators have repetitive tasks, but we'd like to automate off of different highlighted messages without actually knowing what the message is.