CA Process Automation Overview

What is CA Process Automation?
CA Process Automation is designed to speed the delivery of IT services while helping to remove manual errors. By defining, automating and orchestrating processes across organizational silos that use disparate systems, CA Process Automation helps improve productivity while also enforcing standards. With CA Process Automation, you can automate IT processes that span multiple organizations and systems, reduce the time it takes to deliver services and enforce standards and compliance policies across departments. CA Process Automation helps you automate IT processes to reduce operational expenses, increase staff productivity, speed IT service delivery, improve service quality, and enforce compliance policies.

CA Process Automation is also known as CA IT Process Automation Manager.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

CA Process Automation Customers
Unum, HCL Technologies, Logicalis
CA Process Automation Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SJ
Automation Solutions Developer at HCL Technologies
Added value to the delivery of services and the customer experience

What is our primary use case?

We design end-to-end automation solutions for repetitive tasks performed by IT support teams.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool is used in my organization for automating IT infrastructure related incidents or service requests.

What is most valuable?

Built-in operators available for most integrations. Easy to manage. Attended/unattended triggering Scheduling of workflows  Easy to debug flaws

What needs improvement?

Auto-triggering of workflows based on machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI). Integration with web/Windows-based applications should be included. OCR capability should be added as a feature.

It has provided ROI by…
AR
Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Easy to debug and troubleshoot. Some regular expression functionality was left out of the product.

What is our primary use case?

CA Process Automation manager is a very powerful production tool. It has built a lot of processes for the following: Server deployment Onboarding workflows Integrations with multiple products.  It is a true orchestration engine. We have implemented solution for several clients. I could instrument a lot of client requirements in this product. I have seen this product evolve from day one.

What is most valuable?

Integration plugins  Approval console Flexibility within the tool so you can have subprocesses.  Easy to debug and troubleshoot.

What needs improvement?

Regex Make some of the features more open source that way developers can have more flexibility.

More than five years.

There…
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, BMC and others in Process Automation. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Wilfried Cleres
Business Manager Data Center Solutions - PSG SAP & Software at Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH
It allows us to connect people and processes

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for CA Process Automation is that we are supporting this technology's digital transformation. This means we are consulting our customers for their business processes, and we make sure that their requirements will be transformed into digitalization.

What other advice do I have?

It is important is for the automation that you set up a central library for your automated processes to ensure the synergy potential. Also, you are able to communicate which process are already automated, so you do not have to reinvent the wheel and that your colleagues can connect to the central library and can use already developed processes.
it_user464568
Design Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides the ability to import objects as new versions of existing objects and to make the prior version the current version.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a very good product, but the usage of any product really depends on your design, performance, and support requirements. There are other products that are built for high performance, scalability, and request-driven behavior, such as IBM DataPower Gateway, which provides a much faster and simpler solution to the framework that was developed within CA Process Automation (because it relies exclusively on XSL), and has built-in request sequencing (if you include IBM WebSphere MQ in the mix); however, there is a need for more technical acumen when working with IBM DataPower than with CA Process…
Business Intelligence Analyst & Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The solution is highly scalable and provides a fault-tolerant environment.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re planning or looking for an application able to create process automation, stop looking. This is your application, as it is completely fit for the purpose.
it_user480762
Process Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We've been able to automate work that would have otherwise been done manually.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product, extremely versatile but takes a certain skillset to use and implementation of automation can be time consuming when done properly.
it_user465660
Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A strong option, as it has all of the common features of this kind of application.

What other advice do I have?

When compared with other orchestration tools, CA PAM is a strong option, as it has all of the common features of this kind of application. However, it's important to keep in mind that its learning curve can be a problem. I strongly recommend official training for whomever will become an administrator and/or designer.
it_user348378
IT Technician at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It help us straighten up the environment with respect to orphaned accounts, which means we're more secure. And while the different modules aren't so tightly integrated now, the new release fixes that.

What other advice do I have?

It’s working, but it’s complex. For example, when you provision something, you have take a number of actions in a lot of places to make it work, so it’s hard to have a holistic picture of provisioning. It’s not so nice buying socks, but you need socks. It’s a long process to make it work – first you have to go through your whole IT organization to identify users and accounts and groups. So you have to consider the impact of changes in the process for the IT group.
it_user348321
Senior Operations Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
We can implement more quickly with fewer resources in a process that has been fleshed out over time.

What other advice do I have?

For our use it really does very well. It provides us exactly what we need, and it runs with low-resource utilization and moves quickly. As the product matures it will only get better. Consider troubleshooting needs for workflows – how do you want those to be handled? The types of integrations you need – VMware, RedHat, and Windows, to be specific. Consider also your security needs, especially any LDAP or authentication integration requirements.
it_user348132
Senior Systems Engineer I at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us the ability to go into the workflow that had halted for any reason, to research the issue, fix the problem, and continue the workflow. Better reporting is needed.

What other advice do I have?

Support, usability, functionality are good. There’s always room for improvement. Make sure you know what it is that you want and don’t back down from those points as you do a POC or an evaluation.
it_user347988
Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are using it to integrate all the different products that we have with CA. I can see it being used even if we were using other third-party products like Remedy.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a good background in scripting because it'll allow you to expand the scope of how you use PAM. I would also suggest you to set the advanced availability configuration which gives you full tolerance and load balancing. It definitely pays off, especially if your PAM environment needs to be up 24/7.
it_user347958
Systems Support Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its value lies in automation such that there's less human interaction with it and therefore, more consistency in our automation.

What other advice do I have?

I really just started using it a few months ago, so it's hard for me to provide any advice. I will say that the automation is nice and that it allows you the simplicity of just dragging things in and connecting them.
Product Categories
Process Automation
Download our free Process Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Micro Focus, BMC, and more!
Quick Links