CA SYSVIEW Performance Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA SYSVIEW Performance Management?
CA SYSVIEW Performance Management offers new levels of visibility into critical business transactions that provide 24x7 monitoring for complex application environments. This real-time visibility is a critical asset to simplify mainframe performance management by monitoring against alerts, drilling down for intuitive problem identification, and basing automation on performance intelligence. Instead of using different tools, processes and people to support each environment, now there's an enterprise-wide solution that monitors the real-time performance of mainframe subsystems, providing additional integrated data.

CA SYSVIEW Performance Management is also known as CA SYSVIEW, Unicenter CA-SYSVIEW Realtime Performance Management.

CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Customers
Tieto, Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU)
CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Video

Archived CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Reviews (more than two years old)

MB
Computer Systems Programmer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It provides information that supports our duties in problem alerts, problem investigation, and performance monitoring and management.

What is our primary use case?

System monitoring and issue alerting. Problem investigation and resolution. System status and configuration details.

How has it helped my organization?

It pulls together a lot of utilities provided by other tools/products into one consistent umbrella.

What is most valuable?

CICS, JES, and MVS aren't necessarily valuable, just very useful. SYSVIEW provides information that supports our duties in problem alerts, problem investigation, and performance monitoring and management.

What needs improvement?

For one particular environment, the capturing, recording and presentation of IBM CPUMF data would be useful.

IBM Mainframes now produce data on processor cache performance. There is a mechanism for capturing that data within z/OS. It is useful for comparing machines and the impact of the number of partitions and logical to physical processors ratios.

More than five years.

We've had no issues with the stability.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

They're very good.

We switched due to a corporate directive.

It wasn't very difficult to implement.

I am not involved with licensing, as this is done at a corporate level.

I was not involved in the decision to purchase this product.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful and reliable tool with a relatively easy to follow interface.

it_user837528
Senior Mainframe Systems Programmer - Storage
MSP
I use the SMS space management extensively, and the features that allow me to look at dumps and dataset allocations

• "When we changed to JES3, the programmers didn't have to know anything. The product provided the same interface with the same look and feel."
  • "I use most of the SMS space management extensively, but also the features that enable me to look at dumps and different dataset allocations to the system, and performance data from the queueing and delays."
  • "I also really appreciated all the work that everybody did to get it functional for JES3, and they continue to do so, even though IBM said they are going to do away with JES3."
  • "The things that I would think about would be in relation to JES3. However, I don't know if they'll be able to do much more with that because I don't know how much longer IBM is going to be supporting JES3. So I can understand not doing additional development. But if I were to suggest something it would be the JES3 initiators, the JES3 queues."
  • "It confuses a lot of people because there are so many features, but when they see me bouncing around they say, "I didn't know it did that, I didn't know it did that." It takes a long time to find all the different features that are available."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I use most of the SMS space management extensively, but also the features that enable me to look at dumps and different dataset allocations to the system, and performance data from the queueing and delays.

I also really appreciated all the work that everybody did to get it functional for JES3, and they continue to do so, even though IBM said they are going to do away with JES3.

I've really appreciated that, as MBS and z/OS have expanded features, SYSVIEW has been right there in step, providing updates and access to those features. It gives the commands the front-end through the product.

What needs improvement?

The things that I would think about would be in relation to JES3. However, I don't know if they'll be able to do much more with that because I don't know how much longer IBM is going to be supporting JES3. So I can understand not doing additional development. But if I were to suggest something it would be the JES3 initiators, the JES3 queues.

More than five years.

I give stability a nine out of 10. Anytime I've had a problem, they've been right on top of it.

Scalability is a 10 out of 10. I've worked directly with the product manager, and they've been very open to scale to whatever. They jumped on adding JES3 when I asked for it. I thought that was a big thing.

I rate tech support at 10 out of 10. They've always been very friendly. They look to find what my problem is and try to help me get through it.

IBM has SDSS, the closest thing to competition.

SYSVIEW just has more features. When I first started, SYSVIEW gave me an interface to VSE/Power and the queues, the JOBSUM feature; access to Java output. I've grown to use a lot of the functions, SMS group, SMS data, SMS management, all the things to look at the SMS stuff.

I chose it because it covers a lot of different product all in one. Flasher and DADS for the CICS people; SDSF for SPOOL; and lots of MVS tools that I don't need by having this one product.

One of their other products is called CSM, Chorus Software Manager. I was involved with that since beta two. It helps with the download so getting it up and running is very easy.

It's a very complex product, it's got its finger in a lot of things, but it comes up really quick.

It's a little steep, but there are a lot of other functions that it brings together. It gives you one window to look through to get to a lot of different features.

The more products you have from CA, the better pricing they have, the more you can get them doing more things for you.

What other advice do I have?

CA offers technical advice. They'll come in and they'll show you all the bells and whistles. I think that's a really good thing. They'll come in and help you tweak the product to get the most use out of it. You have to ask the sales team, and they'll schedule somebody.

This is probably their best product. I look at this product and I think it is the best in their fleet. It's hard to say what I would want them to do better, other than, as I said, JES3.

I've been using it since the 80s. I've always found it to be very helpful, so anytime I get the chance, I recommend that we implement SYSVIEW.

DO
IT Systems Engineer Lead at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Thresholds with alerts enable us to fix a problem before it has an impact

• "Thresholds with alerts are valuable, enabling us to fix a problem before it has an impact."
  • "The documentation format could be better. I noticed with the last release that all of the manuals were bundled into one. It used to have a separate installation guide, user guide, etc."

What is our primary use case?

• IOF/SDSF compatible commands and displays
  • MVS displays and commands
  • DB2
  • USS CICS displays

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The MVS commands, because we have a lot of new, inexperienced users on the mainframe who don’t know the commands.

What needs improvement?

The documentation. I noticed with the last release that all of the manuals were bundled into one. It used to have a separate installation guide, user guide, etc.

More than five years.

No stability issues, it has always been reliable.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent.

SDSF and IOF. We didn’t switch, we have both products.

Very straightforward, with excellent installation documentation.

I am not involved with pricing or licensing.

SYSVIEW has been here since I started working here.

What other advice do I have?

Follow the manual and you won’t have any problems. If you do come across any installation issues, instead of spending lots of time trying to resolve it, open up a question with support and they will resolve it very quickly.

Greg Payne
Sr. Analyst/Technology Infrastructure at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
Leaderboard
We like that it's an all in one monitoring solution. The single install helps us out.

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary performance monitor. It replaced BMC Mainview and is much easier to install and maintain.  Most of what we need is all in this single product.  We monitor z/OS, JES2, MQ, IMS, CICS and TCPIP with this product over 3 lpars.  It's very easy to switch from lpar to lpar without even leaving the product.  This is very helpful to us.

How has it helped my organization?

It's beneficial because it also ties into other CA products that we have. It makes it a really good fit.

What is most valuable?

It's an all in one monitoring solution because of the different subsystems we have such as JZ2, MQ, CICS and being the fact that it's an all inclusive and an all single install really helps us out.

What needs improvement?

I guess really just kind of expansion. We specifically use IMS as our database. I think really in the line of IMS and what it can provide needs to be expanded a little bit for some of our purposes.

More than five years.

It's been really stable. We're on probably at least our fourth or fifth different version. I've actually taken part in some other betas of different versions and I've been really happy with the stability, especially with the latest one which is 14.1, which just came out.

We haven't had any kind of performance issues regarding the product. Scales well for the number of users being the fact that it uses specialty engines also is a help because we do run specialty engines on our machine.

Customer service has been excellent

I've always had really good luck with CA technical support. I've opened a lot of problems over the years and always gotten a really good, quick response time and always gotten a solution that I needed.

It was very straight forward being the fact that I've installed it a number of times actually made this latest installation very easy.

Implemented via an in-house team

What other advice do I have?

A solution has to be, one, user friendly. It needs to be easy to install and maintain. It does need to interface into the things that we want it to. Really just being able to play nicely in the field that we're working in and along with the other products. Those are some of the biggest things we look for.

I would probably rate it a 9/10. I'll be honest, not a ten because I'm very particular and I would always have difficulty no matter how much I liked a product to give it a ten.

Make sure you set thresholds. The out of the box thresholds are okay, but because each site is different it's really important to be able to get the right kind of reporting and alerts that you do need and want to utilize. It's important that the thresholds are set correctly, otherwise you end up getting a lot of false positives and then you end up tend to ignoring the alerts instead of actually paying attention to them.

it_user779244
Mainframe Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The queues on the system are fast, and it is very intuitive to locate something

• "It is easy to see if anything is wrong. The queues on the system are fast, and it is very intuitive to locate something."
  • "We have not had any major issues in approximately 15 years."
  • "The scalability is absolutely fine."
  • "​We are using Datacom as the database system, so maybe a little bit more integration with that.​"

What is our primary use case?

We use it to surveillance our mainframe system to see if it is behaving fine or if anything is wrong, and it is perfect. It is a very good product.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not had any major issues in approximately 15 years.

What needs improvement?

It can also be a little bit more better, but it is very good. I do not any products that can do all the things that it is doing.

It is very stable. We have small bugs now and then, but normally we just open a case at CA and it gets solved very quickly.

The scalability is absolutely fine.

Technical support is very good. I would rate them an eight out of 10. Sometimes you think they should be a little bit faster to solve the issues, but it is also difficult sometimes to duplicate what the issue is.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I was only involved with the testing of the upgrade. We have some assistant programmers to do the upgrade.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is quite good. Absolutely, get it. It is a great tool.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I'm not sure it is about the vendor. Maybe it is about the product. Of course, you have to coach your support, but it is mostly how the product is.

it_user778677
Lead System Programmer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
CA is easy to work with and the support is extraordinary for this product

• "Between the tech support and the person I was working with, they have been extraordinary."
  • "The documentation, like installation guides and stuff, put it all in one place.​"

What is our primary use case?

For UPS, we are trying to match up end-to-end between distributive and the mainframe. So far, the AutoSys view, it looks good on a mainframe. We are just having trouble matching it up on the distributive side, but the data collection and everything looks fine to us mainframe folks.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are kind of what we are looking for. We are not there yet, and end-to-end, we are trying to tie it up with our distributive apps to match them up with the mainframe apps. Therefore, everything is tied through one single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

Like a Megamind does, it provides CPU contention batch job information. We are looking more for our kicks regions and stuff, which it self discovers, then they have some work to do. However, it has been very valuable so far.

What needs improvement?

The product itself seems very good. The documentation, like installation guides and stuff, put it all in one place.

Still implementing.

We are still in early stages. Right now, it looks fine from what I see of it. We have only really put the CISS regions on it. We have not pushed out anymore online or anything yet.

Yet to be determined.

I was surprised at how easy it was to work with them. I have worked with them in the past and I did not always find it that way. In the past, I am going back about 10 years. Now, they seem to have come a long way.

We were and still are using Megamind. We still are because it has been customized for our online regions, but it does not give us the end-to-end. So, that is the reason we are going for the SYSVIEW and the APM, as well.

It was dictated to me from upper management. Apparently someone from CA spoke to one of our upper management. It was the end-to-end solution to what we have been looking for at UPS.

It was a little tedious, but it was brand new to us. The documentation kind of jumps around because there are all different parts. However, the support has been outstanding.

There was a lot to do and different multiple pieces to it. It is not just one piece because of the way a SYSVIEW operates, touching almost every part of the operating system.

We knew it was coming like that. Just being the only person, it takes a lot of time. We do not really have a direction set for what we are trying to accomplish, so that makes it a little tougher.

So far, I am the in-house team.

Compuware and another vendor, but CA came in with the best deal.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be partnered with CA. Work alongside of them. It makes it a lot easier because of the amount that goes into installing this product. You will need a little help.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: usability and scalability.

Scott Barry
Principal Consultant at SBBWorks, Inc.
Leaderboard
The stability is very reliable, but I would like to have the ability to correlate transactions that cross technologies

• "​The stability is very reliable. We have not had any issues."
  • "If a unit of work ID is associated with a CICS, a DB2, and a MQ transaction, and having that capability correlate to those different technologies via one business application transaction which would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

SYSVIEW is a performance analysis tool. It is used to analyze various transaction-based subsystems and evaluate when there are problems that need to be addressed, and it is also looking for trends over time.

What is most valuable?

The areas which it covers, CICS and DB2, are primarily the best for identifying problems which need to be resolved.

What needs improvement?

Having spoken with the product owner, we discussed the interests of being able to identify the unit of work ID giving us the ability to correlate transactions that cross technologies. For example, if a unit of work ID is associated with a CICS, a DB2, and a MQ transaction, and having that capability correlate to those different technologies via one business application transaction which would be beneficial.

The stability is very reliable. We have not had any issues.

It definitely scales. I have had no issues in terms of performance of the software.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. Do not deny it because of other possible influences that may or may not be valid with this particular solution.

it_user778635
Enterprise Systems Engineering at First Data Corporation
A pretty simple, easy to install, easy to upgrade product

• "Ability for system diagnostics"
  • "They are already working on improvements. One of them is the operational intelligence, which is a lot of stuff I am trying to learn and work on right now, which SYSVIEW reports to that all the system things which are going on."

What is our primary use case?

I am mainly the installer, subject-matter expert for my company. So, making sure it is in, working, and available for others to use. It has performed great so far.

How has it helped my organization?

Ultimately, the prevention of money loss for missing SOAs and stuff like that on our systems, if we miss something.

Anybody has the ability to be able to find something that might be wrong, and look through it.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Ability for system diagnostics

System troubleshooting and diagnostics are the biggest thing for us. We need to make sure our system is up and running and at peak performing. Also, it helps us troubleshoot if something does go wrong that we did not happen to see.

What needs improvement?

They are already working on improvements. One of them is the operational intelligence, which is a lot of stuff I am trying to learn and work on right now, which SYSVIEW reports to that all the system things which are going on.

More than five years.

It is good. We do not have any issues with it. I have been able to install and keep up with the latest versions of it without any issues.

It scales pretty nice. I am running it on more than 60 systems.

Technical support is good, always responsive, pretty quick to get back to me with answers, and/or always willing to help. That is the biggest thing.

In the past, we have used TeamOn.

It was straightforward. I was not there for the initial setup for our system, but I have maintained it since then. So, I have done all the upgrades and maintenance on it. So, it is pretty easy and seamless to put it in.

We have a global license, so I can't provide much info.

We have looked at using BMC MainView. IBM was also considered.

SYSVIEW is the main one we use. MainView is available on our systems, and it is used as a secondary backup to what might be found in SYSVIEW, or what might not have found.

In comparison with product of MainView, SYSVIEW is pretty simple, easy to install, and easy to upgrade compared to MainView, as the other product I work with. Every time I need to do something new in MainView, I have to put up a new task and new configuration, so it gets very complicated versus the simplicity of SYSVIEW to do the same thing.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it. See if you like it or not.

I have to work with other products that are its competition, and so far, SYSVIEW is one of the best out of there.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The response from their technical team is the most important for me. Also, a product that is stable and works

it_user778527
Senior Systems Programmer at FDC
As a system programmer it gives total visibility, and the ability to deep-dive, into the system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control everything that's going on in the system. It's a very good tool to use for a system programmer and for a normal programmer.

What is most valuable?

As a system programmer I can see deep into the system, where nearly everything is at, so it's a very good tool for us to use.

How has it helped my organization?

It's quicker to get information, it saves time.

What needs improvement?

From the demo I attended it looks like all the features I would want are coming.

Very good, no downtime.

It's very good.

I haven't used technical support for SYSVIEW but I have used CA support and it's very good.

We were using SDS from IBM. We switched because SYSVIEW is a better product.

Straightforward.

You have this and you have SDS from IBM. You can compare the two products. We have an agreement with CA so we took SYSVIEW and it's good.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor it comes down to the price.

I would recommend SYSVIEW. Use it.

it_user778533
Software Engineer at Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
It is easy to navigate through and has a lot of features and functions

What is our primary use case?

SYSVIEW has numerous uses. There are so many different things: CICS transactions CPU utilizations TSO users.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs exactly as we have it customized. We have never had a problem with it. It is always well-maintained and it does everything we ask for it to do. It is easy to navigate through. It has a lot of features and functions to it, so people can do their jobs.

I never had a problem with it whatsoever. It is 100% always up.

I have never had a problem with it.

Same as always with CA. They are on top of things. I have never had an issue.

How

What is our primary use case?

SYSVIEW has numerous uses. There are so many different things:

• CICS transactions
  • CPU utilizations
  • TSO users.

How has it helped my organization?

I never had a problem with it whatsoever. It is 100% always up.

I have never had a problem with it.

Same as always with CA. They are on top of things. I have never had an issue.

It was straightforward. There is really no additional customization from one version to the next. It is really easy. It is not a very difficult product to install and customize.

I do the installation and the customization of it. I also maintain it and keep it up-to-date.

What other advice do I have?

SYSVIEW has everything you need.

it_user611979
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Initial setup was fairly straightforward and technical support is professional.

What is most valuable?

Only the base feature is used.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides much more info regarding the mainframe and interfaces, with ease of use (menus); has many more options available compared to the previous product.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the CPU usage: When SYSVIEW is accessed via VTAM, the CPU usage is higher than compared to when its accessed via TSO using exactly the same commands, e.g., Display active tasks.

I have used it for 12 years.

As mentioned, we did have issues with high CPU usage when accessed directly via VTAM but overcame it when accessed via TSO.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is professional and very efficient.

We previously used a different solution. The main reason we switched was the cost saving but it also provided much more functionality.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward.

I’m not sure about pricing but we have numerous CA products with an overall pricing and license.

We evaluated COMPLETE and OMEGAMON.

What other advice do I have?

Do not hesitate; it’s invaluable.

it_user581058
Systems Programmer at a tech services company
Provides information about job degradation and analysis.

What is most valuable?

• Job degradation and analysis

How has it helped my organization?

It gives an indication of potential performance bottlenecks.

What needs improvement?

The screen layout could be updated and be more modern looking.

The product has a 1980’s interface and it seems no investment whatsoever has been made in this respect.

It’s a green texted screen, the navigation is poor because you can’t use the cursor for selection.

Exiting the product does not allow for the standard ‘=x’ instruction. You have to Pf3 all the way out.

Great product...terrible looking interface

I have used it for 12 years.

Sometimes in split screen, it can crash.

We have not encountered any scalability problems.

Technical support is fairly good.

We have MainView but SYSVIEW is better for z/OS internals.

It was simple to install.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Do it.

it_user581055
IT Team Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The automatic JES2 spool cleanup is based on multiple filter criteria.

What is most valuable?

• The MVS and JES2 product displays provide very detailed information.
  • The REXX API allows for very simple but powerful automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has benefited our organization by the automatic JES2 spool cleanup based on multiple filter criteria.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better web browser support that display views, reports, and graphs. Currently, we use the IBM 3270 interface.

It would be nice if we could access the data and display it in a more “modern” way. I think there is some web client offered via the Vantage product. It is unclear to me what possibilities this client offers, as I do not have Vantage installed.

I would like to have a web client which supports all SYSVIEW functions and graphical dashboards. Perhaps this would enable us to export the data directly into an Excel format. After all, graphical displays on an IBM 3270 are not that great.

We have used it for over 10 years, although we stopped using it for a period of time due to a management issue.

We have not encountered any issues with stability.

We have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Technical support is very good.

We used MainView from BMC.

The installation was straightforward.

I only select the best products to use in the company. I am not involved in the final price negotiations.

We evaluated MainView and OMEGAMON.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a good performance monitoring and system tool, this solution offers it in a very compact product suite.

it_user577524
Technical Services Professional, z/OS Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides insights to a z/OS operating system and the ability to modify it.

What is most valuable?

Actually, all the features are valuable. The product gives deep insight into a z/OS operating system by means of many powerful commands, each of which provides information within seconds. By contrast, using normal system commands would take minutes, or sometimes even hours, to get similar information, if at all. Similarly, there are many powerful commands for modifying a z/OS operating system.

I can emphasize this with the following examples:

1. Instead of using z/OS system commands on a system console in order to get some information from the system or to modify the system, you can use CA SYSVIEW commands to do exactly the same. Compared to a system console these commands provide a tremendously more user-friendly interface to the system and the output is being displayed much more clearly arranged and accessible than console output. This means much more efficiency, e.g. for system operators.

A specific example of this is all the Dynamic Linklist commands you can use to display and modify the MVS linklist concatenation.

2. There are a lot of commands providing system information as well as system modification for which there is no similar native support from z/OS, especially in a case of emergency. This means that, without a product like CA SYSVIEW, you either had to write your own programs providing such information/modification or you even had no chance at all to deal with such a situation. This means high productivity, e.g. for system programmers.

A specific sample for this is the ACTIVITY command with all its line commands you can use to display and modify all running address spaces in various ways, e.g. displaying allocated data sets, active enqueues, task structure, canceling address spaces of even individual tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

Several times it saved us tens of thousands of Euros by tremendously reducing the time necessary to solve a severe operating system problem.

What needs improvement?

As with every piece of software, there’s always room for improvement. But for our shop, the most important features of the product have been working perfectly for a very long time.

As for the JES2 component of the product, CA might improve the overall performance when accessing the JES2 spool. I do know that CA is using system interfaces from IBM to get the JES2 data, and I suspect that the actual room for improvement is in that interface. Maybe CA cannot do very much to improve performance, but it would be great to get better performance in this area.

We have been using this solution since 1993.

There are rarely stability issues, just minor issues when they do occur.

There have been no scalability issues.

In the 90s, the European first-level support was sort of lukewarm. This changed positively with the beginning of this century, and it still persists.

We had a previous solution, and we switched because CA SYSVIEW was clearly superior.

The installation was, and still is, straightforward, provided that you are a moderately experienced z/OS systems programmer.

The only additional candidate then was OMEGAMON from IBM.

What other advice do I have?

A great deal of the product is definitely suitable for z/OS system specialists with some years of job experience. In other words, z/OS beginners will probably not be able to appreciate all of the product’s features. Thus, it should be evaluated by an experienced systems programmer.

z/OS system Programmer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Interoperability with CA-OPS allows for more automation.

What is most valuable?

Easy Install One consistent interface for all components Many interfaces (VTAM, TSO, ISPF, Batch) Relatively easy to learn Interoperation with CA-OPS

How has it helped my organization?

It's easier to diagnose problems, and find solutions Interoperability with CA-OPS allows for more automation.

What needs improvement?

Better historical reporting.

At least 10 years.

Customer Service: Excellent. No problem with asking How-To questions. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which

What is most valuable?

• Easy Install
  • One consistent interface for all components
  • Many interfaces (VTAM, TSO, ISPF, Batch)
  • Relatively easy to learn
  • Interoperation with CA-OPS

How has it helped my organization?

• It's easier to diagnose problems, and find solutions
  • Interoperability with CA-OPS allows for more automation.

What needs improvement?

Better historical reporting.

At least 10 years.

Excellent. No problem with asking How-To questions.

Excellent.

Relatively simple.

In House.

We used TMON before.

it_user558453
Tech Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We replaced BMC MainView with CA SYSVIEW for cost reasons.

What is most valuable?

We're using CA SYSVIEW to monitor performance and availability on the mainframe. We replaced MainView by BMC with it. It was a cost savings for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates very nicely with other products from CA, like OPS/MVS, and it's easy to learn.

What needs improvement?

There are some parity features, things you can do in a JES2 or JES3 shop, which you can't with CA SYSVIEW. For example, purge output from the spool. So better parity between JES would be useful.

It has been very stable. We've only been using it for a couple months, but we haven't had any problems with it.

We're a pretty small shop, so I'm sure we can scale it up to what we need it to do.

Technical support is very good. They get back to us very quickly and usually have a very good answer. Even if it's one I don't want to hear, but they're good about that.

We previously used MainView from BMC. Our contract was up for renewal, and the sales lady offered CA SYSVIEW as part of the contract renewal. The pitch was cost savings, and it was priced better, so we went with that.

For us, vendor is general. It's mainly the product that we care about, but cost is definitely in there. This does pretty much the same thing that MainView does at a cheaper cost. That's why it won.

I installed CA SYSVIEW. The actual product install is very simple. The web interface install is far from easy. The manual isn't very straightforward on that at all because it's pieces of a different product. Installing it on web interfaces was a challenge.

We didn’t evaluate any alternatives for this product.

What other advice do I have?

Just take your time and set thresholds and alerts properly.

it_user558480
Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
With experience, you can find any problems and resolve them. It makes the machine reliable and stable.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes life easier because if you are experienced enough you can find any problems and resolve them easily. Thus, making the machine more reliable and stable.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better graphics in the next version, so that even less experienced individuals can find problems without much effort. This can help one to see the bigger picture and easily figure out what's going on.

It can help to display the data better and you would not need lots of knowledge to see what is going on within the mainframe.

The stability of this product is excellent. We did not encounter any issues.

It is a mainframe product, so it only runs on the mainframe.

I have used technical support and it is excellent.

We were using a different solution before this tool and moved over to CA because of the total cost. We already had a contract and an existing relationship with CA.

In my opinion, most of the products work anyway so it is primarily the cost factor and the product’s easy to use functionality, that are important factors while choosing a vendor.

I was involved in the setup process. If you use the defaults, then it is quite straightforward. However, if you have to go through the entire process for the first time, it does take a little bit of time but is not bad.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product for mainframe management. It is a lot easier to install and maintain than most of the other products that I am familiar with, such as BMC vs CA mainframe management or IBM mainframe management tools.

it_user507378
Vice President at BNYMellon
Applications see what's wrong with a transaction and make corrections.

What is most valuable?

The transaction troubleshooting for the applications is the product’s most valuable feature. Giving the opportunity for those applications to be able to see what's wrong with a transaction and make corrections; giving them the information readily accessible.

At the same time, from a systems end, we use it for taking care of the everyday type of stuff that the applications don't see. We get on and hopefully keep the system up and rolling.

What needs improvement?

I think a lot of the stuff has to zero in and make it quicker. I think overall the SYSVIEW product right now has a lot of commands. There's a lot of panels. A lot of information. What we need to do is trim it down for the applications or the avid user. A lot of what they're doing right now, they're bringing in new hires out of college. We don't want to make it more difficult to use. We want to make it easier to use.

I think SYSVIEW has to sit down and look at the tool. That's what we're trying to do with them now, make it a little bit easier to utilize versus trying to remember all these individual commands. It would take something simple; develop a couple more panels, fast path panels.

I have been using it for over two years.

Stability has been pretty good. We have not had any issues with it lately.

Scalability has been 100%, too. We haven't had any issues with scalability. We use it on a lot of systems.

It has managed the transition very well.

It takes a couple of prods once in a while to get technical support going. I try to convince them to say it is something that's valuable for everyone. Even if you go out and test the waters with it, you'll see that this kind of stuff that we're suggesting would be kind of nice. From that end of it, they've been pretty accommodating. They sit down with us and listen to what we have to say and then, we try to collaborate and come up with a viable solution, which is good. It's all we want. Because we don't see the whole picture from our end, they don't see the whole picture from both ends. We sit down and come up with a good solution.

I'm not too crazy about the CA community; it's kind of like Facebook or anything else, it's nice, but we go right to the jugular most of the time. If we need support, we go to support.

Now, the one good thing on the CA community is possibly the video clips that come out. We kind of suggested that and that's getting better. They're creating more and more. Now they have slacked off a little. I haven't seen too many developed lately. But they need to get more of those. I think they're used a lot. We can use them in our training and they're very valuable.

Other than that, my social is just to collaborate on a certain thing and get these votes. I say something like, “Hey I’ve got an idea, here's a vote.” I've put a half a dozen of them out there and they'll get no votes; no one looks at them. It’s the same thing we do when we collaborate on the sprint sessions. There's not too many people that voice their opinions. I think it's the same thing you know. They don't want to sit on the communities and they don't want to open their mouth in the sprint review. I don't think it's just unique to that.

It's good that people are listening. I just wish they would tell us more. For example, we went to a couple of sessions that they had locally in Pittsburgh; a CA community-type, three-day session. We ran on a couple things and at the end he said, "Oh yeah, by the way, we’ve got this now." Well, why didn't he tell us sooner?

If we have an idea, it would be nice if they come back and say, “Hey, we are working on your idea but we need a little bit more information.” But that type of information isn't really relayed. It's like a big wall in between. Even though they're working on it, they don't tell us.

We actually had two other monitors and we still have one. This product actually replaced one of the other monitors we were maintaining. We went through rather intense outlining of our pre-requisites - here's what we want - and CA actually took care of most of the issues. Our concern was what SYSVIEW didn't have and the other products did have; they accommodated us with it on time, within the specified time frame.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. It's a busy product. We like it. I wouldn't tell them about the logs or the transaction history because that's my pet peeve that's been around for a long time. But I understand that SYSVIEW already invested a lot of money and time into the product, so we’ve got to come in from the back door. When I talk to other people or tell other people about the product, I actually tell them it's a good product. It does what it's supposed to do. The support’s good and that's the main factor right there. That's what you want out of a product.

I didn’t give it a perfect rating - I'd never do that – because there's some still more work to be done on it. It's a good product. It does what it's supposed to do.

it_user493503
Systems Analyst Mainframe at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Actions can be triggered by thresholds. Many users have ceased manually performing functions.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate that actions can be triggered by thresholds. For example, when a threshold is reached, a job can be launched without having to use triglevel, capevent or another option.

Many SYSVIEW users have ceased manually performing functions.

Many sectors of IT appreciate and use the MVS display phase.

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily monitor any batch and CICS event, and this assures us in times of very high workload.

What needs improvement?

I think they could improve the frontend action stage and alert thresholds, for a better and more-usable job action or REXX launch.

Better management of the relationship between a threshold and the start of the response action, be it a job or a REXX, similar to the operation of OPS/MVS (in centers where there is not a SYSVIEW/OPS/MVS pair).

We have been using it for 6-7 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support has very good, kind people; they are available and prepared.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The first time I saw SYSVIEW, I found it straightforward and easy to use. I then encountered some difficulties when I started using it full-time. But now it's alright. In any case, when I speak to the service center, I still discover new product features.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I can easily and highly recommend it.

it_user493500
Senior Technical Specialist, Mainframe Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
We use it to define alarms based on product-provided metrics. In CICS monitoring, we even use autocancel functions based on threshold settings.

What is most valuable?

Almost all of the features are valuable but specifically z/OS (base), CICS, IMS and MQ.

The TCP/IP feature is used a little, and the CAPTURE feature occasionally, helping a lot when dealing with some issues.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the most important usage for us is implementation of alarms based on product-provided metrics (especially on loops). In CICS monitoring area, we even use autocancel functions based on threshold settings.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the IMS monitoring part could be improved (at least according IMS specialists).

I have been using it for over three years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Most issues have been minor errors or performance issues (most of those were handled by appropriate parameter settings).

I have not encountered any scalability issues; setting is quite granular.

Technical support is very skilled and helpful.

I previously used the BMC MainView family of products. We switched to CA mostly for cost reasons.

Initial installation and setup is quite straightforward but after that, some customization and planning is necessary if you want to get the best out of the product. But the customization part (or parameters for customization) is quite well documented.

Before choosing this product, the IBM solution was another option under consideration.

What other advice do I have?

In previous releases, the default setting was consuming too much CPU perhaps, but since 14.1, this was tuned quite well. Still, I would advise checking the interval setting in SCHD* parmlib members in case you want to keep CPU usage by SYSVIEW as low as possible. Using ZIIP is also good thing, where applicable.

it_user481083
Oracle DBA at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

Our data center uses this as the main product for mainframe system monitoring for hundreds of clients. The integration of CA OPS/MVS to alter and automate the action by threshold setup is the most valuable feature of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

We are targeting the standardization of our mainframe system monitoring product for clients and CA SYSVIEW is our first option, and packaged into our total solution for our mainframe service. Our client can use this product without additional cost while other products additional costs.

What needs improvement?

I would expect this product to be integrated with mainframe Linux system monitoring which is more popular in our mainframe solutions.

I've supported this product for about six years. My company has been using this product for 20 years. We're planning to upgrade to R14.1 in next half a year to support our z/OS 2.2 upgrade.

In general this product is stable and no major issues are reported.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

9/10 - I can always get quick responses for our request and for new release issues we get dedicated experts and coordinators to support our upgrades.

Our client used IBM OMEGAMON and other monitoring products previously. We recommended that they convert to CA SYSVIEW which is our global standard, and has a lower cost and full functionality of our standard mainframe solutions.

It is straightforward and we can bring up this product with most default values. We have packaged this product to our SOS repository and this makes it easy to implement to all regions automatically.

I am only technical support and have no idea on pricing and licensing. We have a dedicated team for this.

We are evaluating the IBM OMEGAMON product which many of our clients are using. We recommended that they consider CA SYSVIEW first with no additional cost. For IBM OMEGAMON, there is an additional cost involved.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product to others due to its easy implementation, comprehensive functionality and good organization of documents.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
it_user488856
Senior System Specialist z/OS at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
I really like the XSYSTEM functions in case I'm having trouble logging on to an LPAR.

What is most valuable?

The CICS option is used very frequently. For myself, I mostly use the z/OS part. I also really like the XSYSTEM functions in case I'm having trouble logging on to an LPAR.

How has it helped my organization?

We have automated the monitoring of our CICS regions and CICS transactions. This leaves much less manual monitoring for the CICS people than before.

What needs improvement?

The creation of dashboards could be made much easier, such as the way it is done in BMCs MainView for example. Currently, you need to do some programming to create dashboards, which is time consuming and error prone. A dashboard you can create in seconds in MainView takes much, much, more time to create in SYSVIEW.

We have never had any issues with stability. The product runs without any problems. On the rare occasion that there is a problem, the recovery is really good, so there was never an outage of SYSVIEW at all.

We have had no issues with scalability. Additionally the product needs fewer CPU resources than other products.

The technical support is very good. You always get an immediate response as to who is taking care of your issue, and you get regular feedback of what’s going on. Normally the cases are solved in a much shorter time frame compared to competitors.

We previously used Omegamon. I think we switched because of financial reasons. Probably CA made a quite good offer, but this was before I started here, so I don’t know about the details.

The setup is not really complicated, but there are many configurations options, where you can easily get lost.

I can’t say anything about pricing and licensing as I’m just the techie and have nothing to do with contracts.

The decision for switching to SYSVIEW was made long before I started here.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a small and easy configuration and get it running. Make yourself familiar with the product, then switch on additional features one at a time and get familiar with it. Otherwise, you may get lost in options, features, and parameters. The product is quite comprehensive.

it_user480783
Mainframe Support at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It can be used in REXX, batch or interacting with automation. CA-OPS/MVS interaction is particularly good.

What is most valuable?

The CICS and DATACOM optional components are the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We particularly like the versatility of the product. It can be used in REXX, batch or interacting with automation, CA-OPS/MVS interaction is particularly good. For example, OPS/MVS will trigger events that will check SMS storage groups through SYSVIEW and email reports on volume information

What needs improvement?

It needs better documentation explaining the different possibilities of what you can do with the product.

I've been using it for over 15 years.

We've not had any issues but it's worth testing the product out fully before implementing live into production.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

8-9/10 - CA's whole support offering has improved vastly since the 90's.

To reduce licencing costs, we merged other products. We needed SYSVIEW as this was the best if not the only monitoring tool for Datacom. We used SYSVIEW to replace CA-LOOK, SAS, MAINVIEW, and could also be used to replace SDSF.

The initial setup is very easy. It is a bit tricky if you have to perform customizations, as migration can be tough, but things improved a lot from v13.0 as you can now have in-house written information in your own libraries and transfer them to the new versions much easier.

it_user350100
Technical Specialist - APS with 501-1,000 employees
We use the predictive analytics with CA Workload Automation iDASH. It's a complex solution but we haven’t run into issues yet.

What is most valuable?

We find the predictive analytics to be the most valuable feature. We are using this a lot with CA Workload Automation iDASH and it is really making a difference for everyone involved.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say that it's improved the way we function, but that doesn’t mean it won’t and we really feel that so far it’s working well.

What needs improvement?

It's a complex solution, but we haven’t run into issues yet. I have heard of issues from others, but we haven’t seen them. Then again, we are not yet using cross-instance job dependencies in Workload Automation, so we're not sure whether there may be an issue there.

It seems stable enough at this stage, but we haven’t unleashed it fully yet. It seems like it will do well.

It is totally scalable. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t use it. Scalability is an essential requirement.

Technical support is knowledgeable and has improved greatly over the years as previously it wasn’t great. When we open even low-priority cases, they respond quickly.

We originally wanted to use JAWS, but we figured eventually that we would go with CA because of what they had to offer.

Initial setup was complex.

We compared it with JAWS. We chose CA because it just had everything we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good service contract. We can call on their engineers to come as we paid for a certain amount of time and you need someone to show you.

it_user351486
Sr. Director with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's intuitive to use and you don't need a lot of expertise, but you need to know how to manage it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing to us about SYSVIEW is the overall scale of it. They have a lot of jobs with a number of conditions that go into the overall job management. This gives it the ability to scale and deal with various job dependencies.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I think some of the messaging from SYSVIEW could be improved. For example, how do you know if there’s a real issue that needs to be addressed? Is there something that identifies a problem in your configuration? Is there something for which you may need pro services?

While we do have consoles, what we attempt to do is to get those alerts integrated or reported into our monitors, and it wasn’t a very clean integration. We tried things like syslogging, but this required a lot of massaging and it's still not perfect.

After the complexity of the initial implementation, we've had no issues with deployment.

The system is extremely stable.

When making that call to technical support, the triage is sometimes a little rough to get you to someone who will effectively help you. When trying to solve some performance issues, it was better for us to engage and get them side-by-side. There were times when we had to go outside of CA with known experts.

We migrated from our older solution to this one. This is much easier to manage. Our previous solution was heavy with a lot of baggage which required a lot of resource commitment and getting experts in.

The initial setup was complex and accompanied with the fact that we didn’t have a lot of latitude. Also, our workload manager gave us added complexities, so we didn’t get to do a lot of greenfield stuff, requiring a bit of massaging.

What other advice do I have?

I would say first and foremost, understand your business rules and understand what you are trying to accomplish and your requirements to the fullest. Then make sure they are articulated so you can make a good decision. A lot of time, folks look at a product pipeline and not looking at their requirements.

it_user349998
MTS II - sysengng at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to compare historical reports, a feature that's hard to find in other products. We're looking forward to using more than one job name to grab information at once in v12.2.

Valuable Features

Being able to see and to have oversight of everything that happens on the job is critical, and this is what we get with SYSVIEW.

Improvements to My Organization

It's really great to be able to compare historical reports, as it really helps our organizational functions. This feature is hard to find in other products.

Room for Improvement

I think we are going to 12.2 really soon. I'm looking forward to being able to use more than one job name to grab more information at one time.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It’s very stable and very fast. So far we are very happy about this and we hope it continues.

It is very scalable and has adapted really well over our years of usage.

We seem to get our answers in a timely manner so technical support seems to be working well. We have no complaints.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We use the CSM to implement it time and time again, and overall it’s just extremely quick and very user-friendly.

Other Advice

It’s definitely better than SDFF and JCL as they are going nowhere. I haven’t used any other products, but if you want to keep looking back and to see historical data and find out about yourself, then this is the product for you.

it_user349953
Programmer Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It lets us see what’s running, what conflict we have, and where we don’t have to bother. It is a complex system, as every view has a different setting panel. Once you get a grasp of it, it gets easier

Valuable Features

A lot of what I use it for is compiling and debugging, and I think it’s beautiful. It lets me know what went wrong with jobs that I've run for testing.

Improvements to My Organization

Using SYSVIEW means we have to bug our tech support a lot less. It lets us see what’s running, what conflict we have in jobs, and where we don’t have to bother.

Room for Improvement

Any functionality that I thought it could improve on is in the most recent release. It is a complex system, though, as every view has a different setting panel. This can be overwhelming for someone coming in, but once you get a grasp of it, it gets easier.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We have never had any trouble with stability.

We've had no trouble with scalability.

Technical support has been very helpful. But the community of users has been particularly helful. Someone even helped me ASAP, which was huge.

The initial setup was complex, as this is a complex system. Each view has its own settings panel, which can be overwhelming.

Other Advice

You should have at least have one person who is up to date with the current release. This can help a lot with setting up the solution and implementation. I also recommend to work hard on becoming familiar with this product, as it is complicated at times.