CA Top Secret Overview

What is CA Top Secret?

CA Top Secret for z/OS provides innovative, comprehensive security for your business transaction environments— including z/OS, UNIX and Linux on System z—helping you realize the reliability, scalability and cost-effectiveness of the mainframe. CA Top Secret provides an Advanced Authentication Mainframe feature, system entry validation, resource control, auditability, accountability, administrative control, and SAF compatibility. In conjunction with distributed security solutions from CA Technologies, CA Top Secret provides mobile-to-mainframe enterprise class security and compliance management.

CA Top Secret Customers

First Tennessee Bank

CA Top Secret Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user814482
Information Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
All the features help ensure we are compliant with banking regulations

What is our primary use case?

Top Secret is our external security manager for our mainframe systems.

• "We have implemented two-factor authentication, which is a new piece of CA Top Secret."
  • "It would be helpful if they removed limitations on user record sizes."

What other advice do I have?

The security environment is constantly changing. The support for CA Top Secret is constantly upgrading the product to ensure that it's current with the industry needs for mainframe security.
it_user814479
Director with 51-200 employees
Ensures that employees and others do not illegally access our systems

What is our primary use case?

To protect our assets from being accessed. First, that our employees do not have access to the data/information that is not valid for their positions. Second, to prevent illegal access to our systems.

• "The user interface could be improved. Sometimes, it is not simple to understand where a certain definition should be defined, and I go through a number of screens until I find where to do some of them."
    • "Make sure that there is a post-sale department in your country. We have experienced some post-sale problems to do with integration of CA products into our systems."

it_user558438
    Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, enterprise-wide solution. I would like to see more emphasis on audit reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

This benefits our organization because it is an enterprise-wide solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better reporting, more emphasis on audit reporting, and better scrubbing of the canned reports.

The tool is stable.

The solution scales easily.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the most important thing is support. If you are looking for mainframe security, get this solution.
    it_user558108
    Head of Enterprise Partnerships | Wealth & Investment Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    In terms of authorization, it controls what access accounts have with the two resources on the mainframe.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, make sure they can keep up with you. The ongoing development, security, is an ever-changing item and they need to have sufficient development staff and capabilities to keep up with the industry. That is an area where I have a concern, because I don't see them keeping pace with what we're doing. Admittedly, we're at the forefront of a lot of stuff. It's all about the configuration. It's how you use it. There are only three players in mainframe security. There is RACF from IBM, there's ACF2 and Top Secret from CA. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. RACF is very…
    it_user373287
    Manager of Operations Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    The reporting is everything to me as far as being able to respond quickly to either in-house, client, management, or auditor's concerns.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give it a 9.5/10. I think it's a pretty good product. It was very well written and the ease of administration and the ease of the commands and the ease in which you can report on it are top notch. I'd start by calling support and getting their best recommendations for the current environment. I think the support group does a great job and they will direct you. Also, read the installation guide to do best practices through that. For the most part, the product installs fairly easily and if you have an understanding of the product before you start to install is a key thing. If you don't, you…
    it_user350628
    It protects our enterprise by providing an access monitor authentication protocol, although I'd like integration of cleanup data.

Valuable Features

HFS SEC is the most valuable feature for us because it's managed consistently as other resources are managed. It uses standard resource names instead of bit settings.

Improvements to My Organization

It protects our enterprise by providing an access monitor authentication protocol. All competitors do the same thing, but this does it the best.

Room for Improvement

I'd like integration of cleanup data with Top Secret.

I haven't had issues with deployment.

The stability of it is pretty good. We've had no issues with stability. Our statistics show that we’re doing 115 billion security calls per month for just half of our system.

We’re running one of the largest installations in the world, and it’s…
    it_user349389
    Sr. Supervisor Auditor at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We implement the constant updates as they roll out, and they've met our needs.

What other advice do I have?

We’re always trying to evolve, and the enhancements help, but its intertwining of everything else we use isn’t as smooth as it should be, but that’s because we use software from IBM.
    it_user346125
    VP Enterprise Architecture Manager at FirstBank Puerto Rico
    ​It's centralized all the user security on a single tool, although I'd like to see integration with LDAP's services, because today we have the mainframe and Windows AD separated.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is integration with the native mainframe security, extending the security.

How has it helped my organization?

It centralizes all the user security on a single tool, which has truly been the best part for us. Otherwise, it's a simple non-fancy product.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see integration with LDAP's services, because today we have the mainframe and Windows AD separated. I would like to integrate both so they can work together.

It's perfect, but it's related to the stability of the mainframe itself. We have had no issues.

We have 3,000 people using it with no issues of scalability.

How are