CA View OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA View?

CA View is an automated archival and retrieval system that provides immediate and flexible online viewing of mainframe and distributed output. Its repository is capable of housing many types of documents and file types to give you an easy mechanism for selectively viewing and managing a variety of data types. CA View integrates with other solutions to automate the flow of reports between mainframe and distributed platforms, offering a solution that grows with changing business needs.

CA View was previously known as Unicenter CA-View Output Archival and Viewing.

CA View Customers

DHL, Intergrupo

CA View Video

Archived CA View Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user851850
Sr. Platform Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helps us secure viewing of customer accounts; scalability streamlines production of large reports

• "It's easy to add more space to it when you need and to. If you're producing large reports it's easy to increase so you can handle the new volume that may come along."
  • "I believe they do probably have a GUI interface for the laptop, so you can just use the interface instead of the mainframe ISPF interface. I think that's already available but, if not, that would be my only issue."

What is our primary use case?

The business uses it primarily for reports and customer statements, and the like. I don't really use it like the end-users use it. They use it to bundle reports and things like that. They use it more extensively, indexing, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

You can control who views what, as far as security is concerned, in viewing customer accounts. I'm not sure if that was available in the product at the beginning, but we use it extensively now.

Also expandability. It's easy to add more space to it when you need and to. If you're producing large reports it's easy to increase so you can handle the new volume that may come along.

What is most valuable?

It's the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

More than five years.

10 out of 10. We did not encounter anything bad with it.

10 out of 10.

10 out of 10. They seemed to be always there and call me back pretty responsively, within the hour.

We had other solutions for reporting that were outdated and cost-prohibitive, in supporting them. Bundled with our solutions from CA, we got a different price. We were able to cross-justify it more than the other products. We actually moved from one product to another product, to CA View.

It was the standard SMP/E install, so there was no issue.

What other advice do I have?

It requires other pieces of CA software and license keys, thing like that. That's one thing to keep in mind. It requires CA Common Services in order to actually be licensed to run on LPAR.

I would give it a 10 out of 10 for ease of use, and as we discussed, scalability, and support.

it_user848517
Senior Mainframe Systems Programmer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Standardized our CIS log processing; we know where to find the CIS log for any LPAR

• "We standardized our CIS log processing with CA View. We support a whole bunch of LPARs, about 80 or so. When we go to an LPAR, we know just where the CIS log is, it's in CA View, and we know how to get to it, we don't have to search around for it."
  • "There was one customer we were trying convert over, and it was complicated. There were retention criteria which seemed a little more limited than with some of the other products."

What is our primary use case?

We do outsourcing work, and we use it for in-house work, our own in-house systems, and also for outsourcing customers.

How has it helped my organization?

One example would be, we standardized our CIS log processing with CA View. We support a whole bunch of LPARs, about 80 or so. When we go to an LPAR, we know just where the CIS log is, it's in CA View, and we know how to get to it, we don't have to search around for it.

Also, we bring a lot of customers in, and it isn't a challenge, compared to some of the other output management packages, to get them set up on it and working on it, and do upgrades when needed.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to install and upgrade
  • Seems to have all the functionality we need
  • User friendly
  • Reliable support, support is good on it
  • Easy maintenance

What needs improvement?

More than five years.

We very seldom encounter stability issues for this product. I'd give it a nine or 10 out of 10 on that.

It's good on scalability. I like the idea that we can just add new extents on the fly if we have to.

Tech support is very good. We've had good support on all our different products. With different customers we have different output management products. I think the technical support is usually good for all of them but CA View and Deliver is as good as any of them. I give them a 10 out of 10.

We've used JHS, RDMS, which is phasing out. We've used JSF. We've just been trying as much as we can to standardize with CA View and Deliver.

In terms of switching, it's because we've converted a few customers from other output management products to CA View. It was easier to support them via maintenance and upgrades; it really had all the functionality we need, it seems.

Straightforward. Some of the other products, we've got a lot of user access we've got to support, user mods and the like. We don't have to do that much of that type of thing with CA View and Deliver.

I think the product's pricing is a good value. We've had a good price and relationship with CA, it fits in with that. I'm probably not the person to really know that much about it.

JHS, ViewDirect, RDMS, JSF.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest you strongly consider CA View and Deliver. Take a big look at it. It's straightforward.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10 overall, because I've worked with a lot of output managers and this one, in my opinion, has the best all-round characteristics.