Uday Shankar Tummala
Practice Lead at Sky Solutions, LLC
User-friendly, customizable, good support, and reasonably priced

• "I like everything about the entire BPM that comes with the BPM suite."
  • "The migration strategy needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for migrating IBM BPM to Camunda.

How has it helped my organization?

We helped our customer to reduce their licensing and operational costs to a larger extent by proposing Camunda BPM to replace existing BPM solution. They were very much impressed with the capabilities of Camunda BPM and started migrating to Camunda BPM

What is most valuable?

I like everything about the entire BPM that comes with the BPM suite. It's more intuitive and they are enhancing the product very effectively year after year.

It's a customizable product and it's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I don't see many issues with this product.

The migration strategy needs to be improved. Most of the financial institutions in North America are looking towards open source BPM to replace their existing existing BPM platform.Camunda has already started working on a plugin to mgirate any kind of BPM workflows to Camunda BPM seamlessly. They have just released a beta plugin to migrate Legacy BPM processes to Camunda BPM. If they make it as a full-featured version, that would be a lot of help with migration projects.

I have been using Camunda BPM for six years.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

It's highly scalable and offers high availability. We used eight in a containerless server and also on a shared server.

I have work with different organizations, particularly with Camunda BPM. These organizations that we have recently started with are still in the beginning stages of the practice. Previously, we had heavy usage and had to support two to three clients simultaneously.

Technical support has been very helpful, even during the RFP phase. If we needed to verify anything then we could speak to the sales head directly, as well as to the product team.

Previously, I worked with JBPM, which was an open-sourced BPM.

The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't have any issues.

The only issues we could have would be with our code.

When compared with the proprietary products, the pricing costs are much less, even though it is an enterprise edition. It's very minimal.

My customers and I are very happy with the pricing cost and the features.

Pricing depends on the number of tasks we use.

Yes. We evaluated JBPM and Activiti BPM before finalizing Camunda

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution, especially if they are spending a large amount of money using proprietary BPM tools, such as Pega BPM.

Dmitry Kositsyn
CTO at Unitarius
Flexible with compact and clear source code

• "The flexibility is great."
  • "We have faced problems with the performance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility is great.

I appreciate the compact and clear source code.

What needs improvement?

We have faced problems with the performance.

Camunda has two options: the Camunda main platform and Camunda Cloud. Right now we are trying to solve problems with the Camunda Cloud and there are significant problems with performance. We communicated this with the Camunda team. We're a member of the Camunda community and we try to solve those problems with them.

Community support is lacking and you need to pay for enterprise support.

I'd like to have the ability to buy into the data model. There are no data models in Camunda and we need information about variables and process instances. In other BPMs or other big BPM platforms, for example, IBM, there is that feature.

I've been using the solution for a few years at this point.

We've had some issues with the performance of the product, particularly on the cloud deployment.

We have about 100 people using the solution at this time.

We only have developers that use it. We are a development company.

We didn't buy Camunda enterprise support. We only use community support and we don't have, to be honest, enough community support. It's not very helpful. We have many unanswered questions.

We've worked with many different solutions, including IBM, BPM, Oracle, SAP, and VPN platforms, among others.

I like Camunda due to the fact that I can embed it into our infrastructure applications. The library, not the whole sales server.

We use the community version, which is free. I'm not sure of enterprise pricing.

You do need to pay for the enterprise level to get support. Otherwise, you have access to community support, and it is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users of the solution.

I'd advise potential new users to learn BPM notation. It is an issue due to the fact that we have to propagate BPM notation to our customers as a lot of customers don't know what is it and how to use and why BPM is a good solution.

Currently, this is the best solution compared to global JBPM and other open-source BPM platforms.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Camunda Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Zoran Cerkez
Owner/CEO at IT SPHERE
Cost-effective with a powerful decoupled architecture, but more examples of using .NET should be available

• "I can use any other tools to create services and the UI, and then use them together with the Camunda BPMN engine."
  • "I'm from the .NET world and I would like to use it, rather than Java."

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like most is the decoupling architecture. I can use any other tools to create services and the UI, and then use them together with the Camunda BPMN engine.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more examples of using .NET and Camunda. I'm from the .NET world and I would like to use it, rather than Java. For Java, Camunda is great. For .NET I have opinion that need more real life examples. For example I woudl like to see example of  .NET Blazor UI with Camunda.

Also, I would like to see more examples of how to work with a team of users.

I am new to Camunda BPM and have been using it for only one year.

It is stable and I don't have any problems with it.

I don't have any experience with scaling Camunda in practice. However, I have read about it and feel that it's a scalable solution. We can install a lot of different installation and they can work together.

We didn't have any experience with technical support.

The initial setup is easy. I wouldn't say that it is complex at all. They deployment takes only a day. If you don't want to use something specific then you can install it in two hours.

We use the open-source version, which can be used at no cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend the open-source version of Camunda, which can be used free of charge, for any software development company that would like to implement BPM in their software solutions. For software companies, it is a very good product.

You can have BPM in an engine and you can use external software solutions to create the UI, and you don't need to pay anything for licensing. This means that you can incorporate it fully, and use as much as you need. You can expand your software solutions if you want, without any license, which I think is great.

This is a good product but because it's open-source, it's always missing something.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Uday Shankar Tummala
Practice Lead at Sky Solutions, LLC
An open-source, easy-to-deploy, and stable solution with microservice orchestration

• "It is open-source. It supports microservice orchestration. This is what we are really interested in. We can customize our products depending on the use cases."
  • "They have a migration plugin that can be used to migrate from one BPM to another BPM. It is in the beta stage since last year. If they can make it available in the market, it would be great. We are going to have a couple of migration projects for migrating from IBM BPM to Camunda, and this plugin would be useful. I have already discussed this with them two weeks ago and asked them to look into this and add it as a feature. We are expecting this plugin to be available in the next version. This is the only requirement we have at present. They keep on coming up with different features, which is helping us a lot. Its latest release that came out last month was awesome."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently concentrating majorly on our clients in telecommunication. We are also working with new and existing federal clients and proposing Camunda Platform to them.

We are using its latest version. We are currently in the development phase. It is in our local environment, but we are planning to be cloud-based. Going forward, we will create a Jenkins Pipeline and deploy it onto the Azure cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is open-source. It supports microservice orchestration. This is what we are really interested in. We can customize our products depending on the use cases.

What needs improvement?

They have a migration plugin that can be used to migrate from one BPM to another BPM. It is in the beta stage since last year. If they can make it available in the market, it would be great. We are going to have a couple of migration projects for migrating from IBM BPM to Camunda, and this plugin would be useful. I have already discussed this with them two weeks ago and asked them to look into this and add it as a feature. We are expecting this plugin to be available in the next version. This is the only requirement we have at present. They keep on coming up with different features, which is helping us a lot. Its latest release that came out last month was awesome.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues in the production or development phase.

I have interacted with their technical support, and they are very helpful. When I have to work on any POC, I also directly work with the product team.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to verify the technology stack that they already have in place. They should check the orchestration part and see if they need to take care of any redesigning.

I would rate Camunda Platform a nine out of ten.

Cristian Canescu
Sr. Process Analyst at OTP Bank Romania S.A.
Provides us with the ability to streamline a process model

• "Ease of use and ability to streamline a process model."
  • "Process interfaces between diagrams could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a bank and use this solution for process modeling, organizing, and process architecture like line of business, and to be able to make process interfaces between each diagram. Activities include client enrollment, or a client account opening with a process for loan granting, which can't be done in Modeler. We are customers of Camunda and I'm a process analyst.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of use and the ability to streamline a process model on a BPM diagram.

What needs improvement?

Process interfaces between diagrams could be improved. I'd like to see process interfaces and structure in order to make process architecture. Not only to lift diagrams, but to make new diagrams and new data. You can make new diagram and new data but if the client wants to open a current account, then it must be a process interface. It would also be helpful if they would publish processes in a format that can be easily viewable and understandable. The main area would be in publishing because we want to have all the processes published on our intranet.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The stability is fine although we did have some initial problems with it.

The solution is quite scalable and functional. We have seven to 10 users doing process modelling. They're focused on archiving processes.

Technical support is fine, although a little slow.

The initial setup was very easy, I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

As a process analyst, I'm into IT development, so my advice is not to make processes highly detailed. The value added here is the freeware version that can give you the best tool to get the job done as a process analyst.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MARCELOLIMA
Gerente do Escritório de Processos at SEAD
A workflow and decision automation platform featuring great collaboration capabilities

• "We can share, discuss, and develop the model together — from a distance. It's really helped us during these times of isolation."
  • "As we experienced some difficulties in the beginning, deployment took almost a month."

What is our primary use case?

We recently finished a proof of concept with Comunda, and it was successful.

Because it's a complete solution, you can start modeling to automate processes. We can also develop projects with a high degree of collaboration, which is precious for us, especially during this pandemic when we are often isolated.

Within our organization, there are roughly 20 employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The collaboration capabilities have proven to be a great asset during this pandemic. We can share, discuss, and develop the model together — from a distance. It's really helped us during these times of isolation.

What needs improvement?

As I mencioned, we've just finished a proof of concept, so our experience with the tool is still very recent. In general, it mets ours expectations.

Something that could be improoved is the capabilitie of integranting different modeling tools, in order to facilitate both the import and export of models.

I have been using Camunda BPM since January 2020.

As we are still relatively new to this solution, I can't really comment on the stability; however, I know some people in the government who use this solution and they are very satisfied with the stability.

We have actually never need to consult technical support, so I can't comment on them.

I know that the IT team needed some help, fortunately, we have a good connection with them, so we worked together to set things up. In the beginning, it was kind of hard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice: try it because it's a great solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Camunda BPM a rating of nine. If the initial setup was easier, I would give it a ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Milan Cvijanovic
IT Architect at Levio
Very good speed and execution with the capability to scale

• "The speed and execution of DMN was a big selling point for us. It's very good at conducting business processes that are easily modeled and presented in a way that's easy to understand."
  • "Especially when you use the open-source version, there are issues with performance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to run business processes that contain human tasks.

What needs improvement?

The external programs that communicate with Camunda are kind of late 20th century in terms of style and need updating.

We've been using the solution for two years.

In general, the solution is pretty stable.

It's hard to get information to size it properly if you don't use a Camunda subscription. That might not really be a Camunda issue; it could be a sizing problem. For example, they have issues with very high usage of the database even when there are very few processes running. I had a situation in which the databases were at 100% and they should not have been.

Right now, we don't have too many users on the solution, but when it is done, we'll have about 25,000. It's quite scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward, but if you need to tweak any part of the it, it can get complex.

We did evaluate other options, but we were looking for something that was open source and small and there's not too much choice for those options.

What other advice do I have?

Right now we use a standalone Camunda in Docker. Before, on previous projects, we used embedded Camunda in Java applications. We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models. For cloud deployment, we use Microsoft Azure as the provider.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

PM
Senior Product Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller

• "The interface and the number of connectors that they provide are the most valuable features. The support here, it's kind of okay. But the main thing is with the number of connectors and the UI, the user interface."
  • "The support definitely can be improved. Apart from that, the language should be extendable to other platforms. If I want to write, I'll run a different platform, like Python code on top of it, or COBOL code on top of it, and it should support those languages."

What is our primary use case?

Use cases vary depending on the client's needs. It depends on the customer. We have done a lot of flow automation for the return and authorization, like vehicle return material authorization. We have done a lot of automating their campaign systems. .It purely depends on the customer's requirements.

What is most valuable?

The interface and the number of connectors that they provide are the most valuable features. The support here is kind of okay. But the main thing is with the number of connectors and the UI, the user interface.

What needs improvement?

It should also have some kind of a custom-engineering extension that will add on to it.

I have been using Camunda for four to five years.

They support a scalable solution on cluster mode. We don't run into a massive scale, but we run with 1 to 5 million.

The businesses we support range from small to medium.

To be neutral, I would rate their support a five out of ten. Having regional support would add value.

The initial setup is pretty easy. It depends on the people who are installing it. It generally takes a few days.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, as long as the business team can design the workflows, but the technical team can design the workflows. If they are technical, then I would definitely recommend it. For enterprise-grade, I would recommend looking into bigger equipment.

I would rate Camunda BPM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Camunda Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.