Camunda Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Camunda Platform is #1 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools, #1 ranked solution in BPM Software, and #2 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. IT Central Station users give Camunda Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Camunda Platform is most commonly compared to Apache Airflow:Camunda Platform vs Apache Airflow. Camunda Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Camunda Platform?

Camunda Platform is a complete process automation tech stack with powerful execution engines for BPMN workflows and DMN decisions paired with essential applications for modeling, operations, and analytics.

With a clear vision to automate any process, anywhere, Camunda is reinventing process automation for the digital enterprise. Featuring a developer-friendly, open source approach, enterprises can use Camunda Platform to breakthrough technological, organizational, and infrastructure barriers, optimize their business processes, and drive their digital transformation initiatives forward.

Camunda Platform was previously known as Camunda BPM.

Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Camunda Platform Customers

24 Hour Fitness, Accruent, Allianz Indonesia, AT&T Inc., Atlassian, CSS Insurance, Deutsche Telekom, Generali, Provinzial NordWest Insurance Services, Swisscom AG, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VHV Group, Zalando

Camunda Platform Video

Archived Camunda Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

AlonBear
Co Founder at Dr. Agile
Lightweight tool for modeling that is open-source and easy to set up

• "It allows me to present or to demonstrate the business process flow, visually, without having to resort to PowerPoint, Visio, or other products."
  • "If there were some industry templates it would have helped significantly, because it is similar to a process map for a domain. That is what we are currently creating, a domain-relevant process map."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for modeling processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to present or to demonstrate the business process flow, visually, without having to resort to PowerPoint, Visio, or other products.

I can convert it into a real process. Once it is validated visually by the business people, then it can be enhanced into a full-blown process model.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the drag and drop.

What needs improvement?

The simulation feature of this solution needs improvement. As an example, if I wanted to highlight an event then when I press on it, I would like all of the impacted processes to highlight. That way, you can see the impact of an event on different processes.

If there were some industry templates it would have helped significantly, because it is similar to a process map for a domain. That is what we are currently creating, a domain-relevant process map.

When it comes to insurance, just to give you an example, there is marketing, then underwriting, policies for contracts, policies for prevention, collections, there are claims, and business flows that we had to create from scratch. If we could have started through a template, it would have helped us kick start the initiative.

I have been using Camunda BPM for one year.

This solution is stable. I have not experienced any issues with this solution.

It's a bit early, so I haven't stress-tested it yet for scalability.

We have three users.

I haven't reached out to technical support.

I found everything on the website. The manuals and tips were useful.

Previously, I used BPM online, but I changed to Camunda BPM because I downgraded my current requirements.

I enjoyed BPM online but needed a more lightweight tool for modeling. BPM online is cumbersome on the modeling side.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It was deployed a year ago, so I can't remember exactly, but I think that I only took a few minutes to deploy.

I did not use an integrator, I did it on my own.

It's free, open-source.

I use the open-source free version.

I reviewed Sygnavio and Pega Systems.

I chose the Camunda BPM, because I am domain-oriented, and I saw that many companies, especially in my domain, the insurance domain, are using Camunda BPM and that gave me the insight as to where I should focus my efforts.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently a startup with Insur Tech and we are sensitive to cost. It's our strategy and it is the best tool for the price at this time.

What I have learned from using Camunda BPM is to keep it simple.

Milan Cvijanovic
IT Architect at Levio
Very good speed and execution with the capability to scale

• "The speed and execution of DMN was a big selling point for us. It's very good at conducting business processes that are easily modeled and presented in a way that's easy to understand."
  • "Especially when you use the open-source version, there are issues with performance."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to run business processes that contain human tasks.

What needs improvement?

The external programs that communicate with Camunda are kind of late 20th century in terms of style and need updating.

We've been using the solution for two years.

In general, the solution is pretty stable.

It's hard to get information to size it properly if you don't use a Camunda subscription. That might not really be a Camunda issue; it could be a sizing problem. For example, they have issues with very high usage of the database even when there are very few processes running. I had a situation in which the databases were at 100% and they should not have been.

Right now, we don't have too many users on the solution, but when it is done, we'll have about 25,000. It's quite scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward, but if you need to tweak any part of the it, it can get complex.

We did evaluate other options, but we were looking for something that was open source and small and there's not too much choice for those options.

What other advice do I have?

Right now we use a standalone Camunda in Docker. Before, on previous projects, we used embedded Camunda in Java applications. We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models. For cloud deployment, we use Microsoft Azure as the provider.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Camunda Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MM
R&D Junior
The technical support response was fast, but our problem hasn't been solved yet

• "The solution is easily compatible with HTML forms and HTML language programming and that is the most significant part."
  • "I would also like a very easy to use form builder."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for invoices, receipts and purchase orders. There is no specific line of business but we basically use it for some main processes that we want to be automated.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easily compatible with HTML forms and HTML language programming and that is the most significant part. The data model definition in Camunda is a little complicated, so for someone with industrial engineering background it would be hard. But for someone with a computer engineering programming background Camunda is much more understandable and really easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Just today I encountered a problem with the current version, and that is the functionality of the BPM standard, which is not yet implemented in Camunda. An example would be a new marker for tasks. Maybe the developers of Camunda can, as soon as possible, provide all possible functionalities of BPM standard in its process engine. Some are not yet supported and they can really cause serious problems for implementers.

In the next release I would like to have more documentation on how it can interact with other organization systems, as well as other documentation about API. I would also like more  support about features. It would be great for someone like me with a little programming and developing background, to see an easier platform for data modeling. A place where you can create your own data model, your own entities, your own entity relationship, and be able to find a form based on that data model. That would be much more straight forward for someone like me, as a teacher. But it's not provided here right now. I would also like an easy to use form builder.

I have been working on Camunda BPM for about a month now.

I think this question can be better answered by a developer or someone who is backing the network and server. I'm more concerned with process modeling and the process deployment tasks. But as far as I'm concerned, yes, there hasn't been any problems with stability.

The technical support is good. Just last week, we wanted to know something about our modeler and how to change it to be compatible with the Persian language. The Persian language is a language where you write from right to left, so it's different from most European languages like English. So, when we started to use Persian and modeler, the text was messy and disorderly and we wanted to know how to correct it. We sent emails but the support team said it's better to ask this question on a forum. I asked the question in forums but I haven't received a response yet. I think it may be because this problem is a little rare, so that is why they couldn't help us. But I think the support is good. At least they responded to the email as fast as they could, even though they couldn't provide a solution.

The initial setup was very easy, but we haven't deployed the program yet, as we are still only testing it. We have tested how to deploy new processes, how to use the clips to deploy processes, and how to integrate your modeler into clips. If you are referring to these issues, I think the provided documentation is quite sufficient.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to know their own abilities, their own resources. Are they comfortable with a lot of programming even for a simple form? Do they have enough programming provided in their resources? If they are not comfortable with that, it can take a little longer for them to adapt to Camunda. But if they have good developers, programmers, HTML, CSS and so on, they won't have a problem. I can also say the documentation is good and they have a live, technical forum where you can ask questions and get a fast response. I am not sure if it is available in all BPM packages, though.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution a seven, because there are quite a few things that could be improved.

TomasMikes
Senior Business Consultant at Trask solutions a.s.
Good automation and it is simple to build a business process

• "When I compare it with other BPM tools, like IBM, it is great, open source, and free when you use the community version."
  • "I would like to have a feature for audit logging, audit logs and audit log management. And some history of use for the audit logs."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for credit flow processes in the banking industry, like loan approval processes and so on. The solution offers good automation and it is pretty simple to build a business process. We've also tried integration with other robotics and it was feasible.

Because we are partners, we currently use an enterprise edition. But sometimes we help our clients with community versions, so I have experience of both. These versions are very similar. The community version contains all the necessary features because there are only some applicable features in one of their web applications.

What is most valuable?

I have found that this solution's applications are very competitive when it comes to some other tools, and not every tool has some front end applications for end-users. So Camunda will start with a complete application, which is quite useful, and they are ready to use directly after installation and payment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a feature for audit logging and audit log management, and some history of use for the audit logs. It's not anything I need, but our clients often require these features and then we have to do it ourselves. I would also like additional models for location.

I have been using the solution for two years now.

The solution is quite stable. We have had only one incident regarding stability. It was something between the IBM web publications server and Camunda, so I cannot say if it was backing Camunda or IBM BPM, and perhaps it was something between the two solutions. But since then everything has been very stable.

It is hard to say if this solution is scalable. We started with Camunda in Germany, and now they can't form them into a global company. We've contacted their support team on this, and sometimes it takes very long to get an answer from them.

Their support system changes their authenticator on a daily basis and they are working on improving their response time. But it's not easy for me to get the right person if I want to discuss a problem. You work with one guy today, and tomorrow it will be another guy. Then I have to explain everything all over again. So it takes a lot of my time. The technical support, however, is still better than IBM BPM.

We used IBM BPM and Activiti BPM but we switched to Camunda because of the pricing model. Camunda is much cheaper. We've also found that IBM BPM is not really stable, some applications are very complex and some project verdicts were not as successful as we expected.

The initial setup is not that complicated, but it isn't easy either. Deployment took a few days. The deployment time depends more on the complexity of what you want to do with Camunda than the size of your organization.

When I compare it to other BPM tools, like IBM, it is great, open source, and free when you use the community version. We are also working on the enterprise version, so we are very satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

I feel that there is always room for improvement, so I rate this solution a nine out of ten.

NV
Lead of Technology Innovation at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Has an extensive API and it is easy to get DMN working

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to share the logic within the rules engine with the business, so you can put it up for everybody to read."
  • "I would like to see the forms engine available in the open-source version of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to create a rules-based API. We are using the BPMN Model to build a rules engine.

We are running a development server running on Azure, and an on-premises version running for the client.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to share the logic within the rules engine with the business, so you can put it up for everybody to read. Everybody understands what it's doing and you can make changes to it in real-time.

We found it easy to get the DMN working.

It is quicker to do things when compared to competing solutions.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five months.

We have not had a problem with it, and it's done a significant number of transactions on our test system. It seems to be very stable.

I haven't needed to contact technical support. I've read the manuals and documentation and haven't needed to actually test them on that. This solution just works.

The initial setup was straight out of the box, and very easy.

We performed the implementation ourselves.

We are using the open-source version of this solution.

We evaluated lots of other options before choosing this solution. We did a POC with the base of the solutions, and we were able to get further with Camunda more quickly.

What won us over was the extensive API and the ability to actually get the DMN working easy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first do a proof of concept. See how it works, and see if you like it.

We were able to build our rules-based API engine, and it does exactly what we wanted it to.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

DK
Engineering Manger at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good documentation for workflow management and has a valuable active community

• "I've found the active community most valuable but it also provides you with a lot of other features."
  • "I would say that Camunda should actually focus on small cases as well. There's a lot of space out there, for small businesses. If they can, they should cater to them."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use it in investment banks, in workflow management. For example, the onboarding can be from one box. So when the client comes, the sales guy would collect the documentation. Then there would be another task, and someone would be reviewing those documents then upload those documents into some other third party application. This is just one example but we have a lot of complex use cases.

What is most valuable?

I've found the active community most valuable but it also provides you with a lot of other features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of areas for improvement, they can come up with something called a generic workflow application. The engine is really good, but I believe that if they can come up with some sort of application while still keeping the core of Camunda, that would be really great. An application which could cater to a generic workflow, the same application can cater to any domain people can make use of it.

In regards to advice, I would say the scalability features, which are available in the paid version, should also be available to the community. But otherwise, if I'm talking about the quality or the scalability issue, it's still good.

I've been using the solution for about 8 months or so.

On the scalability side, on the paid version, there are a lot of other options. When I think on the free community side, the community version, not all options are available. But, for me, it's a price over use case.

I was previously using Activiti. I had been using Activiti for two years. So Camunda is just a branch which has bifurcated from Activiti only.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution somewhere around 9 out of 10 because it is very good. The documentation and all that they have done is just splendid. On the documentation side, Camunda has done a really good job.

Mohamed Alshishani
Chief, Service Delivery at IGA
Enables us to document all of the processors and VPN and has many features

• "We are documenting all of the processors and VPN. Then we are sharing it with our business users."
  • "When you search for Camunda BPM resources or books on how to utilize Camunda BPM, it is lacking. When it comes to Alfresco, there are thousands of resources that can help you to utilize within AWS and its Group Services. I would like to see the usage of Camunda BPM on Amazon Web Services be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're planning and exploring moving to the Enterprise Edition. We find some functionality for the migration to be helpful for us. This is why we might move to the Enterprise Edition.

How has it helped my organization?

We are currently using Community Edition and then looking to move to Enterprise Edition possibly soon.

What is most valuable?

We are using the latest version of Camunda BPM. We keep upgrading to each new release. We keep always moving with less change. There are a lot of features in Camunda BPM.

We are documenting all of the processors and VPN. Then we share it with our business users so they can approve our other process. From the technical part, what we did was exposing Camunda BPM as a web service.

We configured a split between the process and the business. If there are any changes in the business, we are changing it in the process. If there is no impact, we don't need to redeploy our configuration settings again and again.

This was something that saved us time and improved our data center processes.

What needs improvement?

We were discussing Alfresco. They were saying that their product is much better than Camunda BPM. We signed the governance policy for "Cloud First".

When you search for Camunda BPM resources or books on how to utilize Camunda BPM, it is lacking. When it comes to Alfresco, there are thousands of resources that can help you to utilize within AWS and its Group Services. I would like to see the usage of Camunda BPM on Amazon Web Services be improved.

For Camunda BPM, the sense of community is lacking. The company itself is based in Germany. Alfresco is a very small company with an open source community. It is really good and it works perfectly. It was easy for us to adopt it.

We are proposing that Camunda BPM can be offered as a web service. What could be improved is better support for AWS and training provided with the platform to make it easier to use.

We've been using the Community Edition for three to four years.

Camunda BPM is very stable.

We didn't experience any issues with the scalability of Camunda BPM. It has good scalability by default. We are in Information Authority and we're looking on behalf of other government agencies, i.e., the civil service correspondence system.

We are creating different systems for the VPN to meet the processes. We are using Camunda BPM for 200 to 300 users. We use it almost every day.

We took responsibility for the setup and it was straightforward with community help

We implemented the setup of Camunda BPM on our own. We did everything in-house. Within a week, it was done. We implemented pretty fast.

What other advice do I have?

We're very strongly recommending Camunda BPM. It is good. It is easy. The community is good. There is a lot of support if you are stuck anywhere. You can Google it and find the answers. Many people are using Camunda BPM worldwide and finding the responses was easy.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The reason why I wouldn't rate it a 10/10 or higher is that there are some other features available within other tools that can improve the algorithms they are not aware of yet.

Camunda BPM satisfies our requirements and we have been using it for a year.

PC
Chief Operations Officer (COO) at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A flexible solution that is well suited for internal use, but security needs to be improved

• "For an internal project, this is a solution that you can install and have up and running quite quickly."
  • "The GUI needs to be improved, with more configuration options."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it provides flexibility.

Also, it is easy to use. As long as you have all of the information you need on the platform, it is really not that complicated and can be used by anybody. It doesn't have to be operated by IT people.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs to be improved, with more configuration options. The backend needs to be more configurable, as well. The security needs to be improved.

Generally speaking, other tools are more mature.

I think that stability is fine, although if you are using your own solution it can be complex. We developed our own backend, and it is working fine.

There are a couple of areas that can be a problem for scalability.

We do not have a complex system, and we are using the internet documentation.

We used a different solution on another project, years ago.

To do the initial setup, to get it up and running, is not complex and it can be done in less than two days. When you want to move it to production you have to set up the security, the front end, and the business layer. If you are using it internally then it is ok, but it is more complex if it is going to be used by the public.

We handled the implementation in-house.

What other advice do I have?

For an internal project, this is a solution that you can install and have up and running quite quickly. As soon as you have a complex problem then you have limitations.

The processing engine is fine and is not an issue.

If I were rating this solution for internal use then I would give it a seven out of ten. On the other hand, if I were rating it for use by the public then I would rate it a three out of ten. With respect to security, there are a lot of question marks.

Overall, I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Andres Murillo
Innovation Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Helps us create prototypes and put them into production

What is our primary use case?

This solution enables the development team to quickly create prototypes and put them into production.

What needs improvement?

If Camunda could develop something that creates user forms that would be a great feature to have. They also need to improve the UI.

Less than one year.

It is extremely stable.

It is very scalable and it scales horizontally. You can basically automate every single process in the company.

We have not used tech support yet.

We did not use a prior solution to this…

Less than one year.

It is extremely stable.

We have not used tech support yet.

We did not use a prior solution to this solution.

I would say it's medium complexity to setup. You do need development skills but the experience has been clear for us.

We have a lot of users, almost 1,800, and we needed something affordable, stable, and something that could be used by a large financial company. This solution truly fit the bill.

It is less cost-prohibitive than other solutions on the market. This solution was in our price range.

We also looked at IBM BPM, Peg, and Appian.

it_user758088
Associate Director (Technology) at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
BPMN 2.0 compliant, and the fact it's open source enables us to modify functionality, add features

• "We have the ability to modify the product if we need to, and that comes in handy whenever we need to add new functionality and features."
  • "Like all BPM tools, they're very bad with proprietary UIs. In general, anyone who uses BPM tools should not expect to use their proprietary UI."

What is most valuable?

We like the BPMN notation because it's BPMN 2.0 compliant. We like the out-of-the-box REST API features so we can build a service with Camunda, and instantly it's accessible using a REST interface, and of course, we like the REST protocol because that's much more advanced than SOAP.

The other feature that's highly advertised is the fact it's open source. We have the ability to modify the product if we need to, and that comes in handy whenever we need to add new functionality and features. One popular one is a year-end mapping feature, which is basically mapping a bunch of URLs to label in the tool, which the services can access. Instead of having to hard-code URLs, you can get the service to use the label. That is, you can configure the label in the administrator. That doesn't come with Camunda, but you can build it yourself.

How has it helped my organization?

The open source factor is a big one because we don't worry about feature customization issues. The problem with proprietary products is, if they're not giving you the features you want there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do is ask them to change it, and usually the product vendor is not interested. Even though you're a big client, it doesn't matter. They're worried about many clients, not just one client. So open source is huge.

Another one is that it's quite lightweight. It's much more lightweight than most other tools, so it's easy to code in, and we don't really have performance issues.

Third, using REST APIs out of the box really improves our productivity. You build it it, you deploy it, it's ready, it's good to go.

What needs improvement?

Like all BPM tools, they're very bad with proprietary UIs. In general, anyone who uses BPM tools should not expect to use their proprietary UI. It just works awfully. It's very difficult to customize. You should just build your own UI and have the UI call the REST services of the BPM service.

I've seen many mistakes made by many users of BPM tools where they just use the whole thing for everything. They use the BPM tool for the service, and then they use the proprietary UI for the UI. Next thing you know, whenever they want to customize the UI, they can't do it, or whenever there's a tool upgrade, it impacts their UI. It's just a big mess, and it gets expensive. Camunda could do an upgrade, and suddenly the UI has got a problem, so they have to spend all these man-hours to fix their UI and convert it.

Whereas, if you had a loosely coupled system where the UI is separated, where you just build it with AngularJS or something like that, then you don't care.

My team started using it in 2015, so we're going on about 30 months now in app years.

It's very stable. We've run load tests, and the only problem you'll have with Camunda is, sometimes, when you marry it with other technology like MariaDB, and you put it under high load, it seizes up. Then, when you go to the Camunda people, they say, "Well, what we're building is a tool. We didn't design Camunda to work with every little, specific product." But you'll find that issue with many BPM tools.

It's very scalable.

The only time we have a scalability problem is when the application team doesn't use it properly. For example, I've seen many BPM build teams, they didn't set up a separate database for their application data. They just used the schema that's supporting the tool engine. When they do that, the more you load up the database schema that supports the tool, sooner or later, the tool starts to bog down on server startup. Instead, they need to put all their application data in a separate database.

They're quite accommodating. I've even seen their offices in Berlin, and they're quite accommodating. They definitely go above and beyond to help you out. But at the end of the day, they're going to draw a line somewhere which is usually, "This is a proprietary UI. There's only so much we'll do for you. If you're trying to integrate this with a certain product, well, we never designed Camunda to integrate with this product."

They'll draw the line some, but it's typical for all teams, all tools.

ActiveVOS, but it is not open source. That's one of the reasons we switched.

At Camunda they had a subscription service. It was based on how many flow nodes, I think 4 billion flow nodes, and they would give you a one-time fee. You just had to pay it, and you got internal support.

Of course, you can use them without their support. You can just download it and use it, but any self-respecting entity will get support. Where they make money is not licensing. They get it in support because, sooner or later, you want help.

They have various subscription models. One of them is pay a one-time cost, and they'll support you.

We evaluated ActiveVOS and, in the past, we've looked at IBM BPM.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, if you're considering Camunda, you must know how to code Java. If you go on YouTube and type "Camunda", or "intro video for Camunda", the Camunda people will tell you, "You need Java developers."

When you go open source, you start to make the product a little more complex to use because they don't have as many wizards, whereas, some people will get away with only knowing scripting. They were able to use ActiveVOS because they've provided a bunch of wizards. You need Java developers to use Camunda properly.

Overall, it's very flexible and nimble.

it_user758085
Java Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Tech stack could be up-to-date. ​It is easy to build a simple process without any knowledge of programming.

What is most valuable?

It is quite easy to build a simple process without any knowledge of programming. On the other hand, if you want to customize the platform and processes to your specific use case, you also have the possibility to do that.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us an opportunity to optimize our current flows by migrating them to the Camunda platform.

What needs improvement?

Customization and tech stack could be up-to-date.

I have used this solution for approximately three years.

None.

It is possible to adjust all the aspects of this platform, if you know what you are doing.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Customization and tech stack could be up-to-date.

I have used this solution for approximately three years.

None.

Rodrigo Carlstrom
BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides the flexibility of a BPMS through BPMN and DMN

• "The flexibility characteristic in a BPMS, through BPMN and DMN, is undoubtedly the most interesting feature for our business."
  • "I think it would be important to internationalize the Cockpit and the Admin as well as with the Tasklist."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Together with a Java component we develop, where we register municipal, state, and federal holidays, we then do all SLA control during the execution of a process, avoiding countermeasures and improving the relationship with the client.

What needs improvement?

Another important improvement would be to invest in the creation of more types of fields in the Camunda Modeler so that you could dynamically build more complex forms, such as native type arrays, and customized arrays of objects.

We have been using it for two years.

I did not encounter stability problems.

On one occasion, we did automated tests with Selenium. After, we had a fairly large number of processes running in the engine and this slowed the performance, but did not represent a case in production.

Vice President, Co-founder of Brazilian Chapter at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Some of the valuable features include lightweight architecture and coverage of BPMN, CMMN, and DMN standards.

What is most valuable?

• Lightweight architecture and scalable
  • Wide coverage of BPMN, CMMN and DMN standards in both modeling and execution
  • Free use as open source
  • Excellent tool for modeling diagrams
  • Option to get enterprise services such as service level agreement, bug fixes, patch releases and priority to request features.

Some of most important Enterprise features are process instance history, graphical interface to process instance modification/migration, heatmap analysis, decision table live editing, and access for best practices documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

• Knowledge management
  • Replacement of manual tasks by automatic decisions
  • Improvement in the speed of work queues
  • Orchestration of services with more precise information
  • Happy customers with better services

What needs improvement?

Navigation between diagrams directly from the shapes Call Activity, Business Rules Task, Decision Task, Case Task, and Process Task.

We have used this solution since 2015.

Even in the community versions the product is very stable and with excellent scalability results.

The lightweight architecture permits us to scale better than other traditional BPM solutions. The use of Spring Boot and Docker is a modern approach to manage this scalability and high availability.

Technical support for this solution was excellent. We received support directly from the guys next to the engineering team in Berlin.

We knew that we needed to invest in a new solution due to ROI and customer satisfaction. When selecting a vendor, we look for a good road map, scalability and a stable version.

Installing the server side is easy. Just click on Download button at the site, unzip and run. The modeling tools can be downloaded and run on premises or directly from the cloud.

Camunda and Red Hat were on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this tool with BPM and Drools.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Yes, we are Implementation partners for Brazilian customers.
Download our free Camunda Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.