Carbon Black CB Defense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Carbon Black CB Defense is #1 ranked solution in top Security Incident Response tools, #7 ranked solution in EDR tools, and #9 ranked solution in endpoint security software. IT Central Station users give Carbon Black CB Defense an average rating of 8 out of 10. Carbon Black CB Defense is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon:Carbon Black CB Defense vs CrowdStrike Falcon. Carbon Black CB Defense is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 39% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Carbon Black CB Defense?

CB Defense is an industry-leading next-generation antivirus (NGAV) and endpoint detection and response (EDR) solution. CB Defense is delivered through the CB Predictive Security Cloud, an endpoint protection platform that consolidates security in the cloud using a single agent, console and data set. CB Defense is certified to replace AV and designed to deliver the best endpoint security with the least amount of administrative effort. It protects against the full spectrum of modern cyber attacks, including the ability to detect and prevent both known and unknown attacks. CB Defense leverages the powerful capabilities of the CB Predictive Security Cloud, applying our unique streaming analytics to unfiltered endpoint data in order to predict, detect, prevent, respond to and remediate cyber threats. In addition, CB Defense provides a suite of response and remediation tools, including Live Response, which allows security personnel to perform remote live investigations, intervene with ongoing attacks and instantly remediate endpoint threats. For peace of mind, CB Defense customers can also leverage CB ThreatSight, Carbon Black’s managed threat alert service, to validate alerts and uncover new threats.

Carbon Black CB Defense was previously known as Bit9, Confer.

Carbon Black CB Defense Buyer's Guide

Download the Carbon Black CB Defense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Carbon Black CB Defense Customers

Netflix, Progress Residential, Indeed, Hologic, Gentle Giant, Samsung Research America

Carbon Black CB Defense Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Carbon Black CB Defense pricing:
  • "We have branches, we have different companies, but we cannot buy less than 100 licenses. This does not make sense to me... It should be more flexible. I can understand their saying, "Okay, to be a customer you need 100," but to add on to that number it should be something very straightforward. If I need to add five, for example, I shouldn't need to add 100."

Carbon Black CB Defense Reviews

Imad Taha
Group CIO at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Centralization via the cloud allows us to protect and control people working from home

• "You can deploy it through the cloud so that even if your stuff is outside of your controlled environment, you are still under control, based on the policies you create. The policies are controlled through the cloud. For example, if I don't allow anyone to do a certain activity or to install a particular app, and a consultant or a partner who is not part of our environment is doing so, it will stop them as well."
  • "As far as I know, Carbon Defense has nothing that can be installed on mobile devices. It lacks a defense solution for mobile devices, especially mobile tablets. I would like to see support for mobile devices and the pricing should be less than the pricing for a normal workstation."

What is our primary use case?

We started using it to protect our environment from ransomware specifically.

What is most valuable?

Carbon Black works completely differently from other products. We tested different products and Carbon Black was selected because it does not remove a virus but it kills any suspect operations and it's up to the admin to check the scenario. It kills the "effect," if you will. If you receive ransomware or anything suspicious, it will kill the process unless you allow it, after receiving warnings.

I cannot say it's pure AI, but the way it works is that it stops any suspicious activity, not based on signature-based attacks. It works in a way that it detects that a given effect is unusual.

Also, you can deploy it through the cloud so that even if your stuff is outside of your controlled environment, you are still under control, based on the policies you create. The policies are controlled through the cloud. For example, if I don't allow anyone to do a certain activity or to install a particular app, and a consultant or a partner who is not part of our environment is doing so, it will stop them as well. Because of COVID-19, we are all working from home. Imagine if the centralization and control provided by the product were not on the cloud. We would lose control of the people working from home. So the centralized cloud control is one of its more effective aspects.

What needs improvement?

As far as I know, Carbon Defense has nothing that can be installed on mobile devices. It lacks a defense solution for mobile devices, especially mobile tablets. I would like to see support for mobile devices and the pricing should be less than the pricing for a normal workstation.

Also, there is not much education for customers about Defense versus its other products. They promote Defense as enough, but then they say if you need more protection you can go for CB Response. I don't know whether it's a technology issue or a marketing issue, but they should teach the customer more. They tell you you are secure with Carbon Defense but then they recommend Carbon Protect. There is not a lot of education on this.

I don't want to have an incident in the future and their answer will be, "Sorry, you did not buy Protect." Security is a continuous process. I can accept that it has more features, but don't tell me, "You are not protected because you did not buy the more expensive product."

In addition, these other products should be add-ons, not separate products. And the cost for them should be much less for adding on because you are already a customer.

Finally, we receive a lot of high alerts. There is no priority system, from one to 10, where 10 is very dangerous and one is something easy. There is no way for us to tell why this alert is similar to that one.

I have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for two years.

It is stable. It does not use a lot of CPU or RAM. This is one of its good points.

We have about 1,000 users. Scaling is always possible because it's a cloud solution.

They have good local support, here in Dubai.

Deployment takes too much time because it has a lot of options. The implementation was not an easy process. I wish the implementation was easier. But it has a positive effect in the end. The complexity pays for itself ultimately. You do not spend time on the complexity and then get nothing as a result. So the complexity is something that is necessary.

We were new to this product. If the deployment took, say, two weeks, it took us a very long time, maybe a couple of months, until we knew this product was solid. The education services given by the partner are not enough. It was a completely new product for us, so we needed a lot of education. While the implementation took two weeks, it really took two months to go through all the options.

We had a consultant at the beginning.

We have branches, we have different companies, but we cannot buy less than 100 licenses. This does not make sense to me. We do have some big companies within our group. But if I have a small office with 20 users and all my licenses are in use, the next buy cannot be less than 100 licenses. We have to do a lot of implementation and communication to add that many. But we only need 20. They are not flexible in the licensing part. It should be more flexible.

I can understand their saying, "Okay, to be a customer you need 100," but to add on to that number it should be something very straightforward. If I need to add five, for example, I shouldn't need to add 100.

I'm not happy with the way they are treating existing customers for adding licenses. I sent an angry communication to them, to the management, and said to them: "With 1,000 users, I need only another 50 licenses. Why do you want me to go for 100? It's a stupid policy." Then I got approval from them for fewer. I don't need to buy subscriptions for users I don't have.

Also, licenses should not be per endpoint but rather per user. If I am the same user on a mobile device or on a workstation it should be one license for me.

To compare apples to apples, before going for Carbon Black I was thinking about CrowdStrike. CrowdStrike has a lot of very beautiful features that Carbon Black does not have, like IT asset management. But I am not buying this type of software for IT asset management. I'm buying it to protect my infrastructure from big threats. While CrowdStrike has many good features that Carbon Black does not have, that's not the case when it comes to security. CrowdStrike is a very good product but it's more expensive. If you buy all the components of CrowdStrike I can assure you it will be much better than Carbon Black, but cost is a factor.

Our previous product, Kaspersky, was fine but it's not on the level of Carbon Black. Carbon Black is called a next-generation antivirus because it does not only work based on signatures. With Kaspersky we had an incident, and one of the servers affected was the Kapsersky control server.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to get enough information about the differences in Carbon Black products from day one. In other words, if Carbon Black is claiming that Carbon Black CB Defense is enough, why are they always promoting the more expensive product, which is Carbon Black Protect? So, you need to be educated well about the differences between the products.

Also, look at the roadmap of the product regarding whether there will be good mobile protection for mobile users or not. And be aware of the minimum license purchasing policy.

The number of people for maintenance of the solution depends on how your environment is structured, but in our company I need five people.

Private Cloud
Randy Lahti
Founding Partner, Security Architect at ISS
Reseller
Well organized documentation, overall superior functionality, and helpful visualizations

• "Some of the valuable features I have found are the online documentation of the solution is well organized and thorough. I like the simplicity of bypass and the visualization of the active components."
  • "This solution could have greater granular control on how certain applications work."

What is our primary use case?

Some of my client's use cases are typical endpoint protection, telemetry, and threat hunting. We are using all three of the most popular services that point back to the cloud central console.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features I have found are the online documentation of the solution is well organized and thorough. I like the simplicity of bypass and the visualization of the active components. If I want to know which file is being utilized and what sub-files it is calling, the visualization given is very helpful.

I would like to see them continue to run some of the AI-type comparisons. I know everyone is really secretive about what they do and what they have engineered, but I think Cylance was a good market disruptor years ago with their approach. Now we see SentinelOne and everyone is approaching that piece of the puzzle similarly now. I just would like to see more of a comparison. We have done our own technical comparison but it is fairly expensive. All solutions have pros and cons, if more third-party organizations or teams could evaluate how each product works in pros and cons many people would benefit.

What needs improvement?

This solution could have greater granular control on how certain applications work. You are able to do the operation of allowing or disallow, or you can block unusual usage of an application, but they do not define it well.

The PowerShell is being called in any way that the threat actor might use it versus an administrator. You are in a way taking this solutions' best guess at it or their understanding of it. They do not clearly tell you in technical terms how they make that determination. They should be more forthright about it, or if they can not tell us, they should just give us the control to make those selections. We are choosing it because at least we have that control where we do not have that same amount of control with other solutions like Cylance. However, they are still not telling us precisely what constitutes suspicious behavior, what actions, or what calls. It is a check box to say, lock if we have inappropriate use, or block if we have suspicious behavior. It would be helpful to tell us what that actually meant.

In the future, I would like to see more granular control of PowerShell and more administrative tools.

I have been using the solution for approximately six months.

The stability of the solution has been good. I like the fact that their call home is a single port, 443, a well-known port with a backup port, 54443. Their architecture, that way is easy for network admin to understand and open up and passing firewalls. In contrast with ATP, ATP has a lot of port requirements, It is much more complex and easy to misunderstand ATP communications until you really dig hard to see how does it work. This solution is much simpler that way. Additionally, performance-wise, user agents seem to hover around 1%-2%, it is fairly efficient and lightweight.

The scalability of the solution has been good. We implemented a couple of large POCs. We have some clients and colleagues that are running it at scale, with more than 5,000 endpoints with great success. We are pleased overall. Most of our clients are mid-cap or small enterprises.

I have found the solution support has been strong.

I would rate the support of Carbon Black CB Defense a seven out of ten.

Companies need to work on the timeliness of support. Getting directed to a strong enough, experienced enough technical person sooner is important. That just is not the way support is currently built. Usually, they start at tier one and move up. I am sure there are a lot of customers that call in support with simpler questions that you do not want to tie up a tier-three person's time. However, I do not think my request for support to improve is not unique to this solution.

We have a very knowledgeable technical team. When we call for support we are wanting to interact with tier two or tier three right away. It is frustrating to have to work through the tiers to get where we want to go.

We previously used Cylance and we are coming off of a direct comparison of the two. In the current version of this solution, they have a stronger AI version or component. The overall general quality of the breadth of the solution is better. To receive the same functionality in Cylance, we needed to add the CylanceOPTICS product and we have not had great success with it.

What I do not like about Cylance is it is very binary. You either allow AST to be a 56-bit hash or you do not. I think there is room for more granular control, which we now receive by using this solution.

Overall this solution is better than Cylance.

The initial setup has been straightforward. I think their user interfaces in mature and understandable, they did a good job in it. I would not say any end-point solution is simple, but I think it is more intuitive than many of them.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to take advantage of the POC and work with your POC rigorously. I think we have good responses on the POC as they get closer and closer to wanting to close. We were able to get stronger and stronger and more timely support. It is a good program and they are very fair about it. In any EDR, I would test them heavily and do not rely on marketing.

When applying an overall rating to this solution I do not think there are any tens in the marketplace. We very pleased and we evaluate this every year or two. In our POC, we had 200 samples including ones that were available but not as popular and we received a 100% efficacy. We were very pleased with the results.

I rate Carbon Black CB Defense an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JS
System Eng at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy, extremely scalable, and offers very good protection

• "The solution is extremely scalable."
  • "In the past, we've seen some stability issues in the latest version releases. We tend to hang back one version just to make sure issues are fully resolved to avoid user disruption."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for protection. It's used on all of our servers and all of our workstations.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has considerably decreased any of our malware or malicious software injection within our organization. Since March of 2018, we have not had a malicious intrusion success. It's kept us quite safe.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its process monitoring due to the fact that it doesn't necessarily use signature-based definitions. It uses processor-based definitions. If a process tries to spawn some type of malicious process, it'll stop it.

The initial setup is easy.

The organization has to protect against users and Carbon Black does just that for the company. What I mean by that is not all users are savvy enough to understand, "Hey, I shouldn't be running this or I get a pop-up on a browser and I don't click on it." Carbon Black stops that if they do.

The solution is extremely scalable.

What needs improvement?

The alerting mail needs to be customizable. Right now, it isn't. That has to change. Right now, I get a lot of what I call noise email alerts. All I hear from them is, "Well, we're working on it. We're working on it." Well, they've been working on it for four years now, and nothing has changed.

We've been using the solution since 2017. It's been a few years at this point.

The solution is generally mostly stable. We tend to try to stay one version back in order to get better stability. I've run into problems already where Carbon Black has flagged certain things in a later release that they weren't flagging previously and it disrupts my user base.

The scalability is very good. It's pretty much unlimited at this point. A company can scale however much they like with no trouble.

We have over 500 licenses. The use cases are mostly for our servers and our workstation user roles are drafters, engineers.

We use the solution enterprise-wide. I'm not going to increase usage except maybe to increase the license count if servers or workstations go up.

Their technical support is beyond compromise. They've been absolutely excellent. We're quite satisfied with their level of attention.

We were previously using Symantec. We switched for numerous reasons. One of them was the fact that Symantec was just not catching a lot of our intrusion at that time. Again, this would have been back in 2017, and a lot of the malware that was coming out back then, the agents weren't catching as quickly. Nobody really had much sense of what zero-day attacks meant.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment was fast and the process took maybe two hours or so. The deployment strategy was just running the installation agent.

There really is no maintenance required. It's just as simple as re-installing or installing the agent.

We didn't need to use any integrators or consultants for the deployment. We handled everything ourselves in-house.

We noticed an ROI after about six months of working with the solution.

Previous to Carbon Black, we had a malware attack that cost us a significant amount of money. We haven't had one since, and therefore, our return on investment has been significant.

We simply auto-renew every year. I can't speak to the exact pricing. My standard license includes everything that I need without any extra costs.

I was looking at the possibility of replacing this solution with Defender, as that's part of our Office 365 licensing package that we have. I was asking myself "will this help? Is it really worth me spending x number of dollars for CBD versus using Defender?" However, after careful examination, we decided to stick with Carbon Black.

What other advice do I have?

We're generally always using the latest version of the solution, minus one. What I mean by that is it's not always current, however, it's always at least within one of the most current versions. We've got too many things going on to really be on the bleeding edge if you will. At times to go up to the next one I want to be sure I have a good stable one. What I'll do is let's say 3.3 comes out next week, I won't necessarily go to it. I will wait until 3.4 comes out to go to 3.3.

While the agents are installed locally, everything basically goes through the cloud. We don't deal with on-premises deployments.

I would advise new users to be cautious or policy settings. I'd also warn them that they should be prepared for lots of emails.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Other
JB
Cyber Security Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very customizable with good documentation and an easy initial setup

• "There's lots of very useful documentation online to help troubleshoot and learn about the product."
  • "I'm not sure as to the logic of how we've decided to customize it. We've only really used it since February and therefore there may be more to do on that front. That's why it's hard to say if something is missing or if we just aren't utilizing it."

What is our primary use case?

Basically we use the solution for protecting and detecting misuse of end-users while using their end-points to access the internet, especially for browsing websites, or suspicious activity as far as misusing their web browser. It protects them from web-based attacks such as DDos (Denial of Service) or ransomware.

What is most valuable?

What I find most interesting is the performance of the end-point client, as well as the capability of detecting any activity on the end-user while using their browsers to navigate the internet.

To monitor that activity from a security standpoint, detecting cross-site scripting or SQL injection activities that might be coming out from the browser. That's a very needed feature that allows it to distribute the security across the company and not centralizing it only on the firewalls or in the intrusion detection systems.

The solution is quite customizable.

It's easy to set up the solution.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any feature that needs to be enhanced or reviewed at this time.

Some of the features that I see as an end-user, unfortunately, I haven't been able to see from a project management standpoint. I'm not sure if we're actually taking advantage of all the available features. I don't know if it's because we haven't configured it yet, or we are not using it.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half.

It's pretty stable. We haven't heard of any issues and we don't know yet about usage and security issues outside of the performance or any stabilities in the product itself. So far I would say that I consider it stable - very stable in fact.

Given the number of people that are using it, I would consider it as scalable without having specific details on the performance, on the central management, or the management points. I would say that, due to the behavior of the solution with the end-users, it's a good solution. It is scalable.

I haven't used technical support myself just yet. I've only really gone as far as looking at their documentation on their website, including the blog, user support page, and other related documentation. I would say that is good. It's enough.

There is more than enough information for tech-savvy people, and knowledgeable people that are looking for specific things. There are details telling them how to fix certain issues related to the product, or how to manage some of the product software. I would say that the documentation and the support are okay. It's what I would use personally. I prefer either looking at the documentation myself and then calling the call center after that if it's still necessary.

We found the initial setup to be relatively straightforward. It's easy. It's not complex at all.

The time it takes to deploy depends upon the number of end-points that you are deploying. That said, as far as I know, it took us probably six to nine months. This is due to the fact that there were some other technical issues not related to the service. That was my understanding at the time.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't implement this solution for clients or anything like that.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It might be the latest, however, I can't say for sure. We use it at a bank for our endpoints. Therefore, it's likely the latest.

There are between 20,000-30,000 people using the solution within our organization. It's definitely 20,000 at least.

I would advise others to basically set the expectations as far as the features they expect or need from a security solution. This solution can't solve problems related to security practices within the company. Internal policies must be in place. Then, figure out how to integrate this solution and its available features into your internal security protocols.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with the product so far.

MP
IT Cybersecurity at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good alerts, easy to manually override, and allows remote access to machines

• "We can access computers remotely if we need to."
  • "Occasionally, we'll have issues with the latest version and they'll basically tell us that they will improve it in the next iteration. They need to work on their version release quality."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is  deployed in our computers in the company. However, I can't speak to the use cases, as I'm still quite new to the company.

After we apply some policies we will receive, for example, alerts. We'll look at the devices that have given us alerts and we'll look to see if there is an issue. Then we can prioritize the issues into high and low categories.

We try to know what is a malicious file or malicious application and we can investigate what's happening according to the alerts in Carbon Black. Many times we've found that our policies avoid false positives. That said, sometimes, we have false positives and we get many alerts. We're working with this in Carbon Black.

Carbon black is basically blocking my application. I cannot open files and I cannot install software without it passing the policies. Not just any application can be installed on our computers. They need to be pre-approved. If we need to, however, we can manually bypass to finish an installation.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows you to override it and manually install an application if you need it ti.

It's very good at alerting you to malicious content or unauthorized software.

We can access computers remotely if we need to.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the solution blocks items that were previously approved and we don't know why.

It is sometimes hard when I attempt to investigate, to know the commands. It's not easy to do that. You need to upload the right information.

Occasionally, when we get alerts, we don't get all the information we need, such as the computer's serial number.

If I reveal an alert in a new window, I need to go back to the main link as it doesn't work.

Sometimes we need to close the solution and then open it up again.

It would be good to have more information about the devices. If you get an alert that a malicious file is on your computer, Carbon Black really doesn't give you the full picture. We also need to wait for the user who owns the computer to be online before we can investigate everything. It's hard when you are working across time zones.

I started using the solution two weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience with it just yet.

The stability could be better. It changes from version to version and from day to day. Sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes there are issues and we need to close it and re-open the application.

We do have a person at Carbon Black that, if we have issues, we can reach out to. We let them know when we are having problems and they try to assist. I can't recall if it's email or some other type of internal support system that we go through.

Sometimes they have answers for us, and sometimes we have to wait for a new version. There's no guarantee our problems will be fixed immediately.

By the time I joined the company, the solution was already deployed. I was not part of the implementation process. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the solution is to implement.

What other advice do I have?

We have deployed different versions of the solution. At this moment we have 3.5 or we have, for example, for Windows we have 3.1. We deploy it to many computers and in different countries. You need to upgrade or maybe you need to downgrade, depending on the device it's attached to. For example, we have many servers including 2016 and 2019 versions, and then we have different versions of Windows.

When we decide to deploy a new version we deploy it throughout the region. We have been in America, Asia, and Europe.

I'd advise other potential users that, like any solution, you need to know how to use it, you need to know how to implement, and you need to know how to do the best configuration and update that configuration. If you don't have a good configuration on any application, it will work not for you.

In general, the solution is good. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Dhrubo Roy
Threat and Vulnerability Engineer at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Has simplified management, has a nice UI, and it's very simple but EDR needs improvement

• "What I like the most about it is the dynamic grouping, where you get to group endpoints based on setup criteria. That's pretty cool. I like the simplified policy management and simplified white-listing process."
  • "The EDR portion could be better. I'm not a big fan, but it works."

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about it is the dynamic grouping, where you get to group endpoints based on setup criteria. That's pretty cool. I like the simplified policy management and simplified white-listing process. Coming from McAfee, management has been much simpler and much easier to look at.

I like the simplified management, it has a nice UI, and it's very simple.

What needs improvement?

The EDR portion could be better. I'm not a big fan, but it works.

The End Point Detection Response and the way it lays our processes with our endpoint and its detection engine, in the way that it detects the admin or alerts we based on a threat. I feel that they're a little behind on the market from my perspective.

Overall, areas of improvement would be the EDR part, the detection, also the cloud console. If you're trying to write queries or something, it's very slow, just not robust.

It's a cloud console so it should be fast. If I run a query and I press enter, if it took two seconds, it wouldn't give me a nice loading interface, because it's stuck. I would see an operating system most of the time.

I feel like it should be faster. But as far as the price and everything, I think it's a good product.

We're actually doing a migration from McAfee to Carbon Black. The migration project has been about 12 months right now. We're slowly migrating.

Stability is one thing that's not robust. Other products are faster, but as far as the CB Defense, it's slow. We had some issues with the sensors and we also saw slowness on the Windows side, Windows file share, which actually was fixed in the next new version of the sensor.

I'm the only network security person here. But the other users who have different roles have access as well. In my team, there are five or six people. But I'm the only one actually directing changes.

We use it on a daily basis.

There are always alerts so I'll always have to check into alerts and see what's going on and then do some more analysis. If it's a new application we are implementing that will also need to be configured on Carbon.

The deployment process is straightforward.

We're still deploying it slowly, little by little because we use a lot of critical applications and if Carbon Black interferes with the application, it will stop working. It needs to be tested thoroughly. It's a long process.

All of its applications need to be tested thoroughly and then tested in a testing environment. Then we deploy and monitor, make changes, and stuff like that. As far as general users, laptops, and stuff, that's pretty straightforward. It's just part of the image. I have to write that script to uninstall McAfee, the whole migration. It's pretty straightforward. It wasn't complex as far as the installation or deployment.

There was also a technical lead for this project. It automatically comes with professional services for 10 hours and the documentation is pretty clear. The professors helped through the process.

I think it's 28 per employee a year.

We also looked at CrowdStrike but it was a little too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation is very easy but the security aspects could be better.

If you don't have a SIEM solution in your organization, you're probably engaging via email.But there's no way to point me to customize the email templates if I want to see more information on that email before going to the console. It's still a business and company, but I'm the only one who is managing everything. So when I see the email on my phone, I want to see more information before logging into the console. I want to see more filtering options to narrow down more field training.

I also wish it was easier and more intuitive in terms of searching for queries. I feel like it should be simpler. It doesn't make sense to have it this hard.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

IG
Senior Infrastructure and Security Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Allows us to lock the environment pretty tightly and protects our organization

• "I like its protection very much. It protects and allows us to lock the environment pretty tightly. Nothing that is not approved through Carbon Black can run in the environment. There is no default. Everything goes through Carbon Black Protect, and everything has to be first approved. Every software is considered to be guilty before prove innocent."
  • "It could be a bit complicated. You have to be very familiar with Carbon Black to understand what it is doing and why it is doing. I would like to have more explanations and simplification in the user interface. It would be good to get help and see more explanations. It should tell us that a software is blocked and the reason for it. It would be good to be able to build chains in terms of what caused what, what worked, and what caused an issue. We are now moving from Carbon Black to Cortex XDR. While choosing antivirus software, we were also looking at Carbon Black because it also has an antivirus package, and it is next-generation, but we were told that Carbon Black doesn't support firewalls. We have Palo Alto firewalls. We would have chosen this solution if it supported firewalls, in particular next-generation firewalls, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Therefore, we decided on Cortex XDR because it integrates with Palo Alto firewalls."

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to protect our organization from viruses. We've seen many cases when people try to install innocent application, such as a web browser or something like that, and then there are attachments that are not so innocent. Carbon Black tells about such things.

What is most valuable?

I like its protection very much. It protects and allows us to lock the environment pretty tightly. Nothing that is not approved through Carbon Black can run in the environment. There is no default. Everything goes through Carbon Black Protect, and everything has to be first approved. Every software is considered to be guilty before prove innocent.

What needs improvement?

It could be a bit complicated. You have to be very familiar with Carbon Black to understand what it is doing and why it is doing. I would like to have more explanations and simplification in the user interface. It would be good to get help and see more explanations. It should tell us that a software is blocked and the reason for it. It would be good to be able to build chains in terms of what caused what, what worked, and what caused an issue.

We are now moving from Carbon Black to Cortex XDR. While choosing antivirus software, we were also looking at Carbon Black because it also has an antivirus package, and it is next-generation, but we were told that Carbon Black doesn't support firewalls. We have Palo Alto firewalls. We would have chosen this solution if it supported firewalls, in particular next-generation firewalls, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Therefore, we decided on Cortex XDR because it integrates with Palo Alto firewalls.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years. In our company, it has been used for around five years.

It works. I was actually very surprised about its stability. It is in a virtual environment. It works in a VMware environment for us. Sometimes, latency discrepancies are very high, but it is pretty stable.

It is scalable. We have about 400 machines here, and everyone is using it. It protects 400 nodes. We have one server that serves all nodes. The number of machines is growing slowly. We had 350 machines earlier, and in one year, the number is 400.

I never had a need to use the tech support. My boss, who actually implemented this product, used their technical support, and he was okay with it.

We have Symantec Endpoint Protection, and it has some functions similar to Carbon Black, but not all. Carbon Black is definitely better because Symantec Endpoint provides some protection as a part of their antivirus solution, but it is not as powerful as Carbon Black.

When I joined this company, Carbon Black was already very well established. All rules and all groups were in place. The person who worked before me did a great job.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that we need. We can configure it very strongly and lock the environment, which sometimes can create an administrative headache for us and some hassle for users because the users cannot install some of the software and have to ask us to enable the software, but it is exactly what we wanted.

I'm pretty happy with this solution, but unfortunately, at this point, we will have to stop using this solution, but this is not what we want. We are going to use Cortex XDR, but we are not sure if it is possible to work back to back with Carbon Black. Cortex initially told us that Carbon Black and Cortex XDR are not compatible, but it was just word of mouth. At the same time, Carbon Black is not on their incompatible products list. It would be good if these two are compatible because I can imagine the amount of time it would take to translate all the rules from Carbon Black to Cortex and handle all errors and other things.

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense a nine out of ten.

HeathLord
Vice President of Sales (previously Sales Engineer) at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to scale, technical support is good, and the product stops spyware, malware, and viruses in their tracks

• "It has intelligent learning behind it and we have been very successful in preventing attacks."
  • "At this point, we're test-bedding several other providers right now to see if there's anything that does equally or better and that comes at a better price point."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for stopping spyware, malware, and viruses in their tracks.

It's very good at doing that. It has intelligent learning behind it and we have been very successful in preventing attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a six-figure revenue stream knowing that we would be cleaning up viruses, malware, and spyware on PCs, every year. That was a revenue stream that we could just budget we were going to get. When we implemented Carbon Black, that revenue stream went to zero. That means that it's doing its job.

From a business perspective, we've been able to virtually eliminate cyber attacks from spyware, malware, and virus perspectives.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for approximately three years.

We are using the most recent version.

The stability is fantastic!

The scalability is pretty easy.

Their offer to add to a tenant or spin up a new tenant, given the client sizes is large enough, has been pretty easy management so far.

I'm a managed service provider, and within my organization we only have between 40 and 50 employees managing endpoints for several thousand. My perspective will be slightly different. So, even though we use it as a company, we use this for our clients as well.

100% of our staff is trained on the use of Carbon Black because from the technical perspective, we need to be able to handle that as technicians and engineers.

As far as our clients, they don't know the difference. They don't see issues, they don't have attacks.

My interaction over the phone has been mostly on the business side of Carbon Black and they're fantastic over the phone. They're fantastic to deal with.

As far as the support side, I've never had to make a call to them.

I'm sure our lead engineer has had to make some calls for various reasons.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's super easy.

Our staff deployed this solution. We did not use an integrator or reseller, it was in-house.

I am currently reviewing Cylance and products from other vendors as part of our processes. We want to see what price points and feature sets and things like that, to see what would be better.

We want to know how Carbon Black compares to others; we've seen a little bit of that. I've got some documentation to review that. At this point, we're test-bedding several other providers right now to see if there's anything that does equally or better and that comes at a better price point.

What other advice do I have?

We have the cloud center, however, the application's installed on each endpoint individually.

Each client machine has it installed, locally, so it's off-premises for us. I'm assuming that they would be running on individual client PC.

The software is run here, we manage it within the cloud atmosphere.

We were an authorized reseller or we were an authorized business associate of Carbon Black. Since that's moved under Dell, I don't think that's a thing anymore. I would state that as we are mainly a Dell shop, we're an all in Dell shop. And so that's just a business decision we've made.

We were a Dell VMware Carbon Black client and we had a relationship with them that preexisted our Dell partnership. Before Dell acquired Carbon Black, we were a partner of Carbon Black's. We had acquired this technology and we were utilizing this technology for several years in advance of that acquisition.

I'd recommended Carbon Black CB Defense 100%.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Carbon Black CB Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.