Cassandra Overview

Cassandra is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to InfluxDB: Cassandra vs InfluxDB

What is Cassandra?
A scalable multi-master database with no single points of failure. Scalability & high availability without compromising performance.

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Cassandra Customers
Apple, BazaarVoice, Best Buy, eBay, Netflix
Cassandra Video

Nadeem-Akhtar
CTO at Zoofy
Great time series data feature but it requires third parties to join tables

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution was for working on PNRs and user journey plans for an airline. Things such as check-in times, airport arrival time, boarding times, etc. We stored all that data in Cassandra. I currently work as a chief technology officer.

• "The time series data was one of the best features along with auto publishing."
  • "The solution doesn't have joins between tables so you need other tools for that."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not over-complicating things. If you really need to have heavy write and you are okay with building keys by yourself, then go with Cassandra. If not, then the culture base is there, MongoDB is there. And MongoDB is the best one. If you are not enterprise, then don't kill yourself. Once I started working on Cassandra, the biggest lesson for me was needing to build. I need keys to retrieve data. If my key and the primary key is not well settled or well configured, then it is very tough for me to read data. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
SS
Software Engineer at Freelancer
Growing tool that can be scaled to infinite levels

What is our primary use case?

I was working for a client where there was a huge amount of data, where all the networks were intercepted. We used to do analytics on top of it. We did entity profiling. We take data and we use it to build profiles for users. Then we profile how many emails the user is sending. We see his complete profile and his behavioral traits, like what websites he's visiting and his e-commerce activity.

• "The most valuable features are the counter features and the NoSQL schema. It also has good scalability. You can scale Cassandra to any finite level."
  • "Fine-tuning was a bit of a challenge."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool and it's a growing tool. The support is good. I would definitely recommend it. I would rate Cassandra a nine out of ten. Nothing is perfect but I believe that continuous improvements are coming.
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RM
Senior Director IP led Services (PES) at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
High performance, stable, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for IoT projects where there is a need for high-performance runtime databases.

• "Some of the valued features of this solution are it has good performance and failover."
  • "The solution is not easy to use because it is a big database and you have to learn the interface. This is the case though in most of these solutions."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to the ease of use of a solution it is not what matters, I do not look at it from this perspective. I am mostly concerned with the performance because as a developer and expert, we do not look at that easy of use we just want it to perform well. Even if it is a little bit complex, it is okay. The performance is the only thing I care about because if you are tech-savvy you should be good enough to write a code and use the function. I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Cassandra an eight out of ten.
GM
Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent for technical evaluation and managing very large amounts of data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is developing software for others and it's really a solution for enterprise size companies. We're like integrators and we have numerous technical partners that implement. We have a partnership with the company, implementing the service on projects. I'm a managing director of the company.

• "The technical evaluation is very good."
  • "Interface is not user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We don't use this solution like a common database. It's really for people using big data, BI and other analytic software. You need to have the right use case to take this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
AS
DevOps, Big-Data Architect at NetAngelS
MSP
Works well, good understanding of GBL and has good database capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We've used Cassandra in the past to design a right-node read-less ideology. We mainly use it for its database capabilities.

• "The solution's database capabilities are very good."
  • "The disc space is lacking. You need to free it up as you are working."

What other advice do I have?

My first Cassandra project was with a project introduced to us by Facebook. That was ten years ago. There was a time I tried using it a couple of months ago, and I completed the project for Upwork for Cassandra. Right now, I have another project which is using a Cassandra cluster which is under my management. Previously, I had quite a big Cassandra cluster of about 100 nodes and about 500 terabytes of data. Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB, and more!