Cassandra OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cassandra is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to InfluxDB: Cassandra vs InfluxDB

What is Cassandra?
A scalable multi-master database with no single points of failure. Scalability & high availability without compromising performance.

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cassandra Customers
Apple, BazaarVoice, Best Buy, eBay, Netflix
Cassandra Video

Cassandra Reviews

Nadeem-Akhtar
CTO at Zoofy
Great time series data feature but it requires third parties to join tables

• "The time series data was one of the best features along with auto publishing."
  • "The solution doesn't have joins between tables so you need other tools for that."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution was for working on PNRs and user journey plans for an airline. Things such as check-in times, airport arrival time, boarding times, etc. We stored all that data in Cassandra. I currently work as a chief technology officer.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provided us with more than 100K PNRs a second and because the company was international there was a heavy data write, and at the same time a heavy data read. Cassandra helped us a lot, specifically to heavy write the data which was helpful and an amazing solution for us.

What is most valuable?

I think the time series data was one of the best features along with auto publishing. For logging purposes, for example, you can say that after 30 days you won't need the data anymore and it goes. It was a great fit for our requirements. The good thing is that every cluster, every node in the cluster synchronizes the data in real time. That is something amazing that we loved.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with the solution is that you cannot drop write like you're able to in MongoDB and MySQL, where you can join tables. Cassandra doesn't have joins between tables so you need other tools for that. You need to read all the data and put in memory and then add the joins. That is the area where I think they need improvement. Secondly, for example, when setting up your cursor, you have to be very sure about the read mechanism, because if you're not following the read mechanism and mistakenly build a key that is no longer unique then you start overriding data. There are a lot of improvements they could make including on the OS.

The stability is good although sometimes the solution slows down. I liked it and it's good for big data.

The solution is scalable. If you need more nodes in your cluster, you can simply turn on a new node and it will automatically start synchronizing data. In real time, it will start sinking the data with that node. And that is a boost, that's the best one. The entire company was using the solution.

Because we used a vendor, they supported us on technical issues and were very good. I do think they needed to improve their documentation.

I have also previously used MongoDB which, from a technology perspective, has a collection base while Cassandra keeps data in the tables. It's a major difference. Every platform has its pros and cons. Cassandra does not provide an adopter kind of scenario. You need to use third parties to manage the relations. These are the differences and similarities but Cassandra does have a table structure which MongoDB does not have.

The vendor helped us with implementation. We had a team of around 25 working on deployment. Deployment was in multiple regions so it would definitely take a few hours, but let's say a three node cluster can be implemented in a couple of hours. It's a matter of understanding the architectural aspects. Once you have that you can decide on configuration.

This was for an enterprise company and they are expensive. Cassandra has a heavy pricing mechanism because it's a yearly license. I'm pretty sure we were paying something around $50,000 annually at that time.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not over-complicating things. If you really need to have heavy write and you are okay with building keys by yourself, then go with Cassandra. If not, then the culture base is there, MongoDB is there. And MongoDB is the best one. If you are not enterprise, then don't kill yourself. Once I started working on Cassandra, the biggest lesson for me was needing to build. I need keys to retrieve data. If my key and the primary key is not well settled or well configured, then it is very tough for me to read data.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

SS
Software Engineer at Freelancer
Growing tool that can be scaled to infinite levels

• "The most valuable features are the counter features and the NoSQL schema. It also has good scalability. You can scale Cassandra to any finite level."
  • "Fine-tuning was a bit of a challenge."

What is our primary use case?

I was working for a client where there was a huge amount of data, where all the networks were intercepted. We used to do analytics on top of it. We did entity profiling. We take data and we use it to build profiles for users. Then we profile how many emails the user is sending. We see his complete profile and his behavioral traits, like what websites he's visiting and his e-commerce activity.

How has it helped my organization?

My client was looking into customer profiles and then doing analytics. I captured the data part and designed the schema. They would do an analysis from that data and would find out potential customers who would buy their product. They would find these things out and then project their marketing and sales to those customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the counter features and the NoSQL schema.

It also has good scalability. You can scale Cassandra to any infinite level.

What needs improvement?

For my use case, it was more than sufficient. I used most of the features, whatever was available. I'm not sure what else can be improved.

We had very new data of almost 10 million people and it was very fast. We also found the scalability and performance side to be very good. It is stable and available.

During the time it was not stabilized, there were maintenance requirements, but once it was stabilized, we did not have maintenance. Three people are required for maintenance.

We use it very extensively. Almost a hundred people are using it.

We don't have any complaints about technical support.

I have worked on GraphQL, MongoDB, and ActiveDays.

You cannot compare a MongoDB with Cassandra. They are very different because MongoDB is more document-oriented and Cassandra is a columnar database. You can compare it to Couchbase but comparing Couchbase to Cassandra is easy because Couchbase requires a lot of infrastructure to deploy and install it.

We worked on complex scenarios, so the setup was complex. The Cassandra deployments were fine. The cluster and the profiling of the cluster did not take much time. We had some processes in place. It takes around half an hour to an hour. Fine-tuning was a bit of a challenge.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool and it's a growing tool. The support is good. I would definitely recommend it.

I would rate Cassandra a nine out of ten. Nothing is perfect but I believe that continuous improvements are coming.

Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RM
Senior Director IP led Services (PES) at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
High performance, stable, and straightforward installation

• "Some of the valued features of this solution are it has good performance and failover."
  • "The solution is not easy to use because it is a big database and you have to learn the interface. This is the case though in most of these solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for IoT projects where there is a need for high-performance runtime databases.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valued features of this solution are it has good performance and failover.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately one and a half years.

The stability of this solution has been good in my experience.

I have used Druid, Neo4j, and MongoDB previously.

The installation was not difficult. I have my DevOps team of six engineers that does the installation, maintenance, and everything else related to the solution.

We do the implementation of the solution.

I have also evaluated MongoDB and the performance of this solution is better. Additionally, I prefer this solution to MongoDB because when there is a lot of writing happening, MongoDB is better at reading. It is stable and a fantastic solution, but it does not mean that it fits everywhere.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to the ease of use of a solution it is not what matters, I do not look at it from this perspective. I am mostly concerned with the performance because as a developer and expert, we do not look at that easy of use we just want it to perform well. Even if it is a little bit complex, it is okay. The performance is the only thing I care about because if you are tech-savvy you should be good enough to write a code and use the function.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cassandra an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
GM
Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent for technical evaluation and managing very large amounts of data

• "The technical evaluation is very good."
  • "Interface is not user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is developing software for others and it's really a solution for enterprise size companies. We're like integrators and we have numerous technical partners that implement. We have a partnership with the company, implementing the service on projects. I'm a managing director of the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the technical evaluation, it's the best technology. Cassandra is good for us.

What needs improvement?

The interface could definitely be improved. It's a technical database and for me the features are not user friendly. I also think it's quite an expensive solution and I hope over time with more implementations, this will improve.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution.

From what I know, customer support is fine.

The initial setup is a little complex and each time we use a specialist for deployment. It depends on the nature of the implementation as to how long deployment takes.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use this solution like a common database. It's really for people using big data, BI and other analytic software. You need to have the right use case to take this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

AS
DevOps, Big-Data Architect at NetAngelS
MSP
Works well, good understanding of GBL and has good database capabilities

• "The solution's database capabilities are very good."
  • "The disc space is lacking. You need to free it up as you are working."

What is our primary use case?

We've used Cassandra in the past to design a right-node read-less ideology. We mainly use it for its database capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Right now, the solution is working very well.

Cassandra has a very good understanding of GBL, and how to cure GBL in time. The biggest problem is always with GBL in terms of understanding the drives' collector and making them work perfectly. Cassandra addresses this very well.

The solution's database capabilities are very good.

What needs improvement?

We actually find HBase to be faster and better than Cassandra.

The disc space is lacking. You need to free it up as you are working.

I have about ten years of experience working with the solution.

We have some experience with HBase, which we find to be a faster solution.

What other advice do I have?

My first Cassandra project was with a project introduced to us by Facebook. That was ten years ago. There was a time I tried using it a couple of months ago, and I completed the project for Upwork for Cassandra. Right now, I have another project which is using a Cassandra cluster which is under my management. Previously, I had quite a big Cassandra cluster of about 100 nodes and about 500 terabytes of data.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB, and more!