Cassandra OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cassandra is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to InfluxDB: Cassandra vs InfluxDB

What is Cassandra?
A scalable multi-master database with no single points of failure. Scalability & high availability without compromising performance.

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cassandra Customers
Apple, BazaarVoice, Best Buy, eBay, Netflix
Cassandra Video

Archived Cassandra Reviews (more than two years old)

Ravi Gangwar
Database Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "Can achieve continuous data without a single downtime because of node to node ring architecture."
  • "I am getting much better performance than relational databases."
  • "Maybe they can improve their performance in data fetching from a high volume of data sets."

What is our primary use case?

I designed a product catalog data model in Cassandra according to their features and properties, loading millions of data and performing the required queries over it.

Now, I am getting much better performance than relational databases.

What is most valuable?

Here are some features which have been really helpful in my organisation:

• High Avaialability
  • No downtime
  • Better performance
  • Greater scalability.

HA is one of the great features of Cassandra with no downtime, e.g., you can achieve continuous data without a single downtime because of node to node ring architecture.

What needs improvement?

I had to compare Cassandra with MongoDB. MongoDB is much better in data fetching than Cassandra.

Java Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Replication uses peer-to-peer protocol.

What is most valuable?

• Simple ring architecture
  • Replication using peer-to-peer protocol rather than leader selection
  • Linear scalability (99%)
  • Configurable consistency

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to achieve write speeds 10k tps: Compared to existing, it is 300% percent higher.

What needs improvement?

Row-level locking is not available; might be very helpful in update use cases.

for the past 2 years

older version of Cassandra 2.x having problem while restarting the nodes to the ring. New version from Cassandra 3.5.x onwards this issue got resolved. We are free to stop and start any nodes without any issues.

The earlier solution used Couchbase, which has leader selection. At times, when leader selection takes time, then we would lose the transactions. This got resolved with the peer-to-peer architecture solution in Cassandra.

Initial setup is straightforward. If you want to do mass cluster setup then centralized tool will be of great help.

in house implementation

Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user657771
Sr Manager, Engineering, Reporting & Analytics, Big data at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Some of the valuable features include automated replication, linear scalability, and automated region fail-over

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the high availability, automated replication, linear scalability, and automated region fail-over.

How has it helped my organization?

We've used Apache Cassandra for solutions that we sell to our customers. It's used as our cloud based backend store as a temporary cache and for storing data that streams through our data pipe. It's an excellent high speed store.

What needs improvement?

Out-of-the-box monitoring, troubleshooting, and maintenance are involved. There are several utilities/interfaces available for use, but one would have to educate himself and learn the intricacies of managing a Cassandra cluster.

For example, we recently hired a consulting firm to make recommendations on how to approach maintenance and the health of the cluster and we're learning from that experience.

I have used this product for approximately two years.

We have had stability issues including out of memory issues and crashes with earlier versions of the product.

We’ve not really had scalability issues, but scalability is solved by advanced tuning or adding nodes.

We use the open source version, so support is pretty much on our group of developers and public forums/user groups. For example, I'm a member of the Cassandra user list mail group.

This is a new cloud based enterprise product, so there weren't previous solutions.

The setup is not terribly complex, but a learning process was involved.

We use the open source version, so it's free. Costing needs to take into account home grown maintenance and support, as that can get involved.

We looked at Hadoop, Spark, Spark Streaming, and MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to use the open source version, make sure you hire a Cassandra expert or train yourself in the internals of Cassandra.

Principal Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We use it as the storage facility for a very-high-throughput application.

What is most valuable?

• Log-structured storage
  • CQL (Cassandra Structure Language)
  • Ease of installation
  • The node setup

How has it helped my organization?

This product is used as the storage facility for a very-high-throughput application, where a lot of NoSQL data is being captured and it needs to be processed.

What needs improvement?

The clustering needs to be better; it is getting there.

I have used it for four years.

Cassandra is stable thus far; the problems that I have encountered were with CQL and the JSON support in CQL.

The scalability is good, as long as you understand how to set up the nodes.

I did not have any interactions with technical support, because I was able to find answers to my questions online as I did my searches.

The other solutions that I have used have been the SQL engines but for this project, Cassandra was determined to be the better solution.

Setup was very straightforward.

Pricing and licensing depends on what you are doing: If you are using it for major production work, I recommend that you purchase the level of support that you would need.

This was the only product that was evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how many nodes you are going to need and set up the right level of replication.

Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB, and more!