CAST Highlight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CAST Highlight is the #22 ranked solution in our list of application security tools. It is most often compared to SonarQube: CAST Highlight vs SonarQube

What is CAST Highlight?

CAST Highlight is a leading SaaS Application Portfolio Analysis platform that delivers Software Intelligence at the intersection of IT and business to accelerate and secure your digital journey. It enables enterprise leaders to track hidden risks in custom and open source software rapidly and in a non-intrusive manner.

Download the Application Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

CAST Highlight Customers

Atos, David Consulting Group, Tech Mahindra, BCG, Capgemini

CAST Highlight Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CAST Highlight pricing:
  • "It is a pretty costly tool. A lot of customers are resistant to using it."
  • "Basic support is included with the standard licensing feed but it can be upgraded for an additional cost."

CAST Highlight Reviews

reviewer1572348
Chief Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Excellent support, works seamlessly with most languages, and useful for knowing about the readiness of the codebase for cloud migration

• "The way it tells you which codebase is more ready for the cloud and which codebase is less ready is very valuable. It works seamlessly with most languages."
  • "Its price should be better. It is a pretty costly tool. They have two products: CAST Highlight and CAST AIP. I would expect CAST Highlight to have the Help dashboard and the Engineering dashboard. These dashboards are currently a part of CAST AIP, and if these are made available in CAST Highlight, customers won't have to use two different products all the time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for a customer to help review the architecture of the different applications and understand how to replatform them.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for our customers. Too early to say how customer has benefited.

What is most valuable?

The way it tells you which codebase is more ready for the cloud and which codebase is less ready is very valuable. It works seamlessly with most languages.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be better. It is a pretty costly tool.

They have two products: CAST Highlight and CAST AIP. Both are licensed separately. As per CAST, Highlight is for RAPID prototyping and AIP is for in depth detailed analysis. But then there are areas which Highlights covers (Cloud Adoption) which AIP does not. Our experience in using AIP is that it also does not look at entire tech stack and does not provide the list of all technologies present in your application and then flag what is supported and what is not so that customer has clear view. Highlight probably does that. They need to simplify it for customers. I would expect CAST Highlight to have lighter version of the Health dashboard and the Engineering dashboards . These dashboards are currently a part of CAST AIP, and if these are made available in CAST Highlight, customers won't have to use two different products all the time.

I have been using this solution for one and a half to two months.

It is stable. It works seamlessly with most languages. However, when the application code is pretty complex, such as .NET with entity framework, it probably does not check the integrity of the application.

It is pretty good in terms of scalability.

Their technical team is pretty helpful. They provide excellent support.

CAST Highlight is easy to install. Other products of CAST, such as CAST AIP, can be a little complex.

We have leveraged CAST SMEs and they provide excellent support and have great indepth knowledge of the product

Too early to say as we have just started.

It is a pretty costly tool. A lot of customers are resistant to using it.

We evaluated a lot of tools, but for this particular use case, we couldn't find any tool that matches CAST Highlight.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to really do their homework and understand the use case and how CAST Highlight is going to help them. Otherwise, they will only be spending money, and they may not really see its value.

It is a pretty strong engineering tool, but unless you are really clear about the use case and the outcomes, you will not get a value out of it. If you do not know the outcomes and what do you want to do with the tool, you will get the dashboards or output, but you won't be able to consume and benefit from it. For example, a fantastic use case is when you know for sure that a customer is looking to migrate ten applications from on-prem to cloud and wants to know how much code is ready for moving to the cloud versus how much refactoring they need to do. If you're looking for a code change estimate from on-prem to on-prem or some other application, CAST Highlight may not be a good tool for such a use case.

I would rate CAST Highlight an eight out of ten.

Kangkan Goswami
Digital Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good integration with Azure DevOps, but the reports need more information on problem resolution

• "CAST Highlight is easy to use and has a good dashboard."
  • "The reports that describe the issues of concern are rather abstract and the issues should be more clearly described to the user."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we used CAST Highlight in a project, last year, for one of our clients.

What is most valuable?

CAST Highlight is easy to use and has a good dashboard.

This solution integrates well with Azure DevOps and you can import the dashboard into that environment.

What needs improvement?

The level of abstraction is a little bit high compared to other solutions, such as Veracode.

The reports that describe the issues of concern are rather abstract and the issues should be more clearly described to the user. Reducing this type of technical debt would help to manage policy such that it was easier to create and submit for approval. Essentially, it does not provide enough help for the developers.

We used CAST Highlight for about one year.

The software is stable. It was used on a daily basis during this project. There were often seven builds competed each day that reports were generated for.

I have not seen any issues related to scalability, although we were not using a great deal of code. It was quite possibly only three or four repositories that we were scanning, which means that we did not really test the scalability.

We only had six or seven people in our DevOps team for this project.

We did not have to contact technical support.

I have also used Veracode and I like it much better. Veracode is easier for developers to work with. I have also worked with SonarQube.

The integration with Azure DevOps means that there are things you can do in CAST Highlight that you cannot do using other solutions.

It is easy to set up and get started.

Our in-house team handled the deployment. It took a couple of days to deploy and learn how to use it.

Basic support is included with the standard licensing fee but it can be upgraded for an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this solution is easy to set up, easy to get started, easy to use, and easy to integrate, but the usability is not as high as that of Veracode. It would be great if it were more developer-friendly and it provided more information on how to resolve the problems that it discovers. I have seen other tools that do a better job of providing reports and guidance to the developers.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.