CentOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CentOS is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: CentOS vs Oracle Linux

What is CentOS?

CentOS Linux provides a free and open source computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS Linux releases are built from publicly available open source source code provided by Red Hat, Inc for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

CentOS Buyer's Guide

Download the CentOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

CentOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CentOS pricing:
  • "There are no licensing fees for CentOS."
  • "There is no price or licensing required — it's open-source."
  • "It is open-source, which means it is a free product. It has a one-time deployment cost."
  • "There are no licensing costs for CentOS."
  • "We are using a subscription-based license option for CentOS."

MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Relegated to a test bench, and therefore is no longer stable

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for data centers to run the servers. CentOS is a test bench for Red Hat. When Red Hat is testing new software, they will test it out in CentOS and Fedora. They will give it to the public, the public will complain about all the issues, then they will fix it, and include it in Red Hat. I am not using it for the organization. However, I am using it in the business. For example, I help many clients back up Linux servers or protect Linux servers. But I am a Linux user at home, and I have been implementing products that revolve around Linux.

• "CentOS is very efficient and very powerful with many capabilities."
  • "I was using CentOS because it was very stable, and now it's not."

What other advice do I have?

CentOS, Red Hat, Oracle Linux, and Fedora all share the same binaries, they have the exact same distribution, with very minor differences. CentOS started as a community project, a community enterprise operating system. It's basically free Red Hat. Red Hat was rebranded and called CentOS and released to the public. I have had a really good experience with CentOS 6 or CentOS 7, but I have abandoned CentOS completely since Red Hat has made its position of CentOS very clear. CentOS now is discontinued. Red Hat is releasing CentOS Stream, which is new. Before, what used to be the situation? Red Hat…
GD
Lead Solutions Architect - International Projects at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Lightweight, powerful, and stable

• "The pricing is good. We pay a minimal fee."
  • "The solution is stable, however, it could always be even more stable if possible."

What other advice do I have?

We use different versions of the solution. It's a mixture depending on the application. Some applications are not upgraded by vendors and therefore we are using old versions. We try to stay with our own applications on the latest and greatest, however, generally, it's a mixture. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
Learn what your peers think about CentOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
It allows us to freely use and test open-source technologies and solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use CentOS whenever we can to help bridge services or to add another layer to our infrastructure. We currently use CentOS for monitoring orientated tasks, but it has been our chosen distribution for our enterprise for a few years.

• "It has minimal updates compared to other distributions."
  • "They could build more options into the wizard."

What other advice do I have?

If you had to choose a Linux distribution for enterprise grade stability, then this would be the logical choice. If you want latest features and fast deployment of updates, then you might want to take a look at Ubuntu.
Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
All of the features of Red Hat without the subscription fee

What is our primary use case?

We use CentOS in conjunction with our applications and databases.

• "It has all the features of Red Hat, but you don't have to pay for the subscription."
  • "Integration with other platforms could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. I would definitely recommend this solution to others. Not the desktop version — I don't have experience with it. On a server level, I would definitely recommend it.
VaibhavPathrikar
Technial Lead at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Low memory consumption, many options for user access customization, and top-notch scalability

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for setting up virtual spaces and the development environment. We have CentOS VPS.

• "The user access level is most valuable. When you do administration with CentOS, the number of customizations that you can do for each user is higher than other solutions. It is very customizable."
  • "The YUM install manager can be improved. It is below average as compared to the other install managers. This is the only major problem that I see with CentOS. They should reduce dependency on the YUM manager."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate CentOS a nine out of ten.
DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and free to use

What is our primary use case?

The solution has many types of use cases.

• "The product is free to use."
  • "Previous versions were unstable."

What other advice do I have?

I have a hybrid setup. On the cloud, I'm using version 7.5. On-premise I'm on 8.3. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. If it was more reliable in terms of dealing with stability, it would be excellent. I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.
FE
Senior System Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Cost-effective and easy to install, but it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat Linux

What is our primary use case?

Most of the time, I use CentOS for deploying Tomcat to run web applications. I use it to run Docker, as well.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is compatible with RedHat."
  • "In the future, CentOS will no longer be compatible with Red Hat."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, because of the announcement that it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat in the future, I do not recommend this product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MF
Manager Tech. & Support (Information Technology) at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Highly stable, easy to use, but could be more scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using CentOS for some of our applications on one single server.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use but not as easy as Windows.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more user-friendly.

I have been using CentOS for approximately five years.

The solution is highly stable.

The solution needs to improve on its scalability.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

The installation is a little difficult.

We have one engineer…
See 5 more CentOS Reviews
Download our free CentOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.