CentOS Overview

CentOS is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: CentOS vs Oracle Linux

What is CentOS?

CentOS Linux provides a free and open source computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS Linux releases are built from publicly available open source source code provided by Red Hat, Inc for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Download the Operating Systems (OS) for Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

CentOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CentOS pricing:
  • "It is open-source, which means it is a free product. It has a one-time deployment cost."
  • "There are no licensing costs for CentOS."

GD
Lead Solutions Architect - International Projects at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Lightweight, powerful, and stable

• "The pricing is good. We pay a minimal fee."
  • "The solution is stable, however, it could always be even more stable if possible."

What other advice do I have?

We use different versions of the solution. It's a mixture depending on the application. Some applications are not upgraded by vendors and therefore we are using old versions. We try to stay with our own applications on the latest and greatest, however, generally, it's a mixture. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
It allows us to freely use and test open-source technologies and solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use CentOS whenever we can to help bridge services or to add another layer to our infrastructure. We currently use CentOS for monitoring orientated tasks, but it has been our chosen distribution for our enterprise for a few years.

• "It has minimal updates compared to other distributions."
  • "They could build more options into the wizard."

What other advice do I have?

If you had to choose a Linux distribution for enterprise grade stability, then this would be the logical choice. If you want latest features and fast deployment of updates, then you might want to take a look at Ubuntu.
Find out what your peers are saying about CentOS, Oracle, SUSE and others in Operating Systems (OS) for Business. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VaibhavPathrikar
Technial Lead at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Low memory consumption, many options for user access customization, and top-notch scalability

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for setting up virtual spaces and the development environment. We have CentOS VPS.

• "The user access level is most valuable. When you do administration with CentOS, the number of customizations that you can do for each user is higher than other solutions. It is very customizable."
  • "The YUM install manager can be improved. It is below average as compared to the other install managers. This is the only major problem that I see with CentOS. They should reduce dependency on the YUM manager."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate CentOS a nine out of ten.
FE
Senior System Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Cost-effective and easy to install, but it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat Linux

What is our primary use case?

Most of the time, I use CentOS for deploying Tomcat to run web applications. I use it to run Docker, as well.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is compatible with RedHat."
  • "In the future, CentOS will no longer be compatible with Red Hat."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, because of the announcement that it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat in the future, I do not recommend this product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Download our free Operating Systems (OS) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about CentOS, Oracle, SUSE, and more!