CentOS Overview

CentOS is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Oracle Linux: CentOS vs Oracle Linux

What is CentOS?

CentOS Linux provides a free and open source computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS Linux releases are built from publicly available open source source code provided by Red Hat, Inc for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Download the Operating Systems (OS) for Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

CentOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CentOS pricing:
  • "There is no price or licensing required — it's open-source."
  • "It is open-source, which means it is a free product. It has a one-time deployment cost."
  • "There are no licensing costs for CentOS."
  • "There is no license required for this solution."

GD
Lead Solutions Architect - International Projects at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Lightweight, powerful, and stable

• "The pricing is good. We pay a minimal fee."
  • "The solution is stable, however, it could always be even more stable if possible."

What other advice do I have?

We use different versions of the solution. It's a mixture depending on the application. Some applications are not upgraded by vendors and therefore we are using old versions. We try to stay with our own applications on the latest and greatest, however, generally, it's a mixture. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
D6B8
District Technology at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
It allows us to freely use and test open-source technologies and solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use CentOS whenever we can to help bridge services or to add another layer to our infrastructure. We currently use CentOS for monitoring orientated tasks, but it has been our chosen distribution for our enterprise for a few years.

• "It has minimal updates compared to other distributions."
  • "They could build more options into the wizard."

What other advice do I have?

If you had to choose a Linux distribution for enterprise grade stability, then this would be the logical choice. If you want latest features and fast deployment of updates, then you might want to take a look at Ubuntu.
Find out what your peers are saying about CentOS, Oracle, SUSE and others in Operating Systems (OS) for Business. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Santosh Kurakula
Group DWH and BI Senior Manager at Virgin Mobile Middle East and Africa
All of the features of Red Hat without the subscription fee

What is our primary use case?

We use CentOS in conjunction with our applications and databases.

• "It has all the features of Red Hat, but you don't have to pay for the subscription."
  • "Integration with other platforms could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. I would definitely recommend this solution to others. Not the desktop version — I don't have experience with it. On a server level, I would definitely recommend it.
VaibhavPathrikar
Technial Lead at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Low memory consumption, many options for user access customization, and top-notch scalability

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for setting up virtual spaces and the development environment. We have CentOS VPS.

• "The user access level is most valuable. When you do administration with CentOS, the number of customizations that you can do for each user is higher than other solutions. It is very customizable."
  • "The YUM install manager can be improved. It is below average as compared to the other install managers. This is the only major problem that I see with CentOS. They should reduce dependency on the YUM manager."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate CentOS a nine out of ten.
DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and free to use

What is our primary use case?

The solution has many types of use cases.

• "The product is free to use."
  • "Previous versions were unstable."

What other advice do I have?

I have a hybrid setup. On the cloud, I'm using version 7.5. On-premise I'm on 8.3. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. If it was more reliable in terms of dealing with stability, it would be excellent. I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.
FE
Senior System Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Cost-effective and easy to install, but it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat Linux

What is our primary use case?

Most of the time, I use CentOS for deploying Tomcat to run web applications. I use it to run Docker, as well.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is compatible with RedHat."
  • "In the future, CentOS will no longer be compatible with Red Hat."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, because of the announcement that it will no longer be compatible with Red Hat in the future, I do not recommend this product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
High performance, stable, and easy installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution as an operating system for scientific computing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance.

What needs improvement?

The solution might be discontinued but I hope that IBM will continue to develop it and improve on the functionally and features.

I have been using this solution for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

We have more than 20 customers that use this solution scientific computing.

The installation easy and takes approximately 20 minutes.

We did the…
AK
Technical Support Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very robust with good monitoring; GUI could be merged and expansion simplified

• "Very robust and easy to work with."
  • "GUI could be merged and expansion simplified."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend CentOS 8 if you're okay with the command line then there's no better option and it's open source. I rate this product a seven out of 10.
See 2 more CentOS Reviews
Download our free Operating Systems (OS) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about CentOS, Oracle, SUSE, and more!