Centreon Overview

Centreon is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Monitoring Software. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Centreon vs Zabbix

What is Centreon?
The Centreon solution, based on a free to download Open Source Platform, monitors all critical IT Infrastructure and Applications with real-time dashboards, analytics and insightful alerts that prevent business-impacting downtimes. Since 2005, over 200,000 IT professionals from SMBs and Fortune 500 companies rely on Centreon to guarantee their organization operational performance.
Centreon Buyer's Guide

Download the Centreon Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Centreon Customers
Airbus, Bollore, BT, Canal Plus, Kuehne Nagel, Limagrain, LVMH, Oberthur Technologies, Orange, Darty, Addax Petroleum, Plastic Omnium, Auchan, Valeo, Saint Gobin, Clarins, Hugo Boss, JC Decaux, French Government (Defense, Justice, Environment, Agriculture), OptiComm, Thales, Zeiss.
Centreon Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Global Operations Center Lead at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
We can add devices and set up additional polling servers without downtime in monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use Centreon to centrally monitor our entire global IT infrastructure and to alert us about impending issues.

• "I find the product's scalability to be one of the most valuable features since it allows us to add unlimited devices for monitoring and to set up additional polling servers without additional license cost or downtime in our monitoring."
  • "The product is available in ISO image format, ready for deployment. Centreon also has a comprehensive guide and documentation that are simple and easy to follow."
  • "The Home view could be improved by adding customization functions that allow users to change the size of the widgets for a more uniform layout."
  • "Centreon technical support is only available during Central European business hours. When it comes to critical business solutions, there should be a 24/7 hotline that customers can rely on."

What other advice do I have?

Centreon is like a sandbox for monitoring your systems. It allows you to customize and automate different tasks, such as the configuration of hosts for monitoring, and actions taken during an alert. I recommend some training and deploying a lab environment instance, where administrators can fully understand how each feature integrates with the rest of the system to help avoid early configuration mistakes and achieve an efficient production environment design.
LF
CEO & CTO at a tech services company
Alarms enable our customers to anticipate infrastructure issues

What is our primary use case?

We deploy Centreon for our customers' infrastructures. They use Centreon to create alarms to be able to anticipate problems. It works for big companies and institutes. As a Centreon partner, we have different types of customers.

• "The most important feature is that it permits us to receive alarms if there is an incident within the infrastructure. The feature I love the most is the reporting feature, the MBI (Monitoring Business Intelligence) which permits us to send advanced reports to our customers in PDF format or in Doc format. We also deploy Centreon Map which gives our customers intuitive views of their information system."
  • "I would like to see a better UI, one which is more responsive."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Centreon at nine out of 10 because I think the user interface can be improved. That's why I don't rate it a 10. But, from my point of view, this is one of the better monitoring products.
Learn what your peers think about Centreon. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solution Architect - Open Technology Solution - Airbus Group BU at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Alerts before something is down have saved us a lot of non-business-hours intervention

What is our primary use case?

We use it for infrastructure monitoring.

• "We are alerted on service impacts and not when something is down. We have saved a lot of time on non-business-hours intervention."
  • "The most important issue is the capability to interconnect with other systems. It already exists for some of them. For example, the Stream Connector is something we use to populate data in another system. This kind of facility for connecting should exist for all products that it makes sense to have connected to a monitoring solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to make it simple. When I say that, it's in terms of templating. With Centreon we can create a lot of templates. It is very good to have something very flexible and configurable. But be careful, don't create a lot of templates that will clash with other templates because, in the end, it will be very complex to maintain. Start simple and maintain up-to-date documentation. We use other reporting solutions to complement it, to create beautiful reports that are specifically requested by our customers. In the future, I expect we will use a diverse range of products to give us the value…
Global Operations Center Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible solution with straightforward yet very informative data visualization features

What is our primary use case?

We use Centreon for monitoring resources to prevent priority-one and priority-two tickets. It is our primary monitoring tool. All our devices are being monitored using Centreon.

• "What I like most about Centreon is that it is very flexible and customizable, based on the user and/or business needs. Centreon is very flexible when it comes to monitoring parameters. We can use scripts found on the internet or scripts created by our infra/apps team. Also, the data visualization features are very simple and straightforward, yet very informative."
  • "Centreon needs to improve the granularity of the data as well as the graphical data. It would also be better to if there was improvement to the filtering/grouping system as well as the creation of views."

What other advice do I have?

Follow the best practices and the installation process in the documentation. It is very easy to understand. In terms of the Remote Server functionality, I'm not highly familiar with it yet, but based on what I have read I think it is a great feature and I'm open to any possibility of using it in the future. We have 300 to 400 users. Some are infrastructure engineers, VPs, application analysts, and people on the upper management team. For deployment and maintenance, we have three to five personnel: our Senior Vice President, Linux/VM engineers, and global operations engineers.
Project Manager, Cloud Services with 501-1,000 employees
Gives us a single dashboard displaying the status of all our services in one place

What is our primary use case?

We have our own private data centers that are set around the world. They post our solutions to our customers. We have a NOC that monitors the applications and services of each server. The primary use is of the solution is to trigger incidents and to resolve issues before the customer notices.

• "What we like about it is that, whereas with Nagios, by design, if you have five or six data centers, you have to open five or six web pages to see what's going on, In Centreon, this is all included in one page, a single site, one dashboard. You don't have to jump from one specific dashboard to the other."
  • "I really like the filtering capabilities of it. You can easily tell what's critical next to what's okay, the state of the services. It's very easy to get the whole picture quickly."
  • "There are improvements that they need to make to their API. When we're using different systems and we want to disable monitoring for a specific server, we still can't do that through the API. That's something that's lacking."

What other advice do I have?

Take what you have and challenge it. If you're using another system and you decide to move to Centreon, even if your system is similar, don't put your junk on Centreon or any other tool. Go through your processes, go through the system, see what the system is good at, see what it's not so good at, and try to use plug-ins and best practices. Make sure you do an in-house cleaning first. Don't just dump everything on another system and expect it to work. We've trained a lot of people on Centreon. It was very easy for everyone. It wasn't something that someone specific had to get used to. When we…
NH
CEO at Gestion TI
User
Predetermined templates allow for the configuration of service monitoring. This solution lacks service monitoring in the cloud

What is our primary use case?

Within our technological infrastructure and Communications Management service, it is vital to use this tool to determine the status of each managed element in a simple way.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to review the status of IT elements and has generated alerts to ensure continuity of service.

What is most valuable?

Predetermined templates, which allow for simple and fast service monitoring configuration. E-mail alert notifications

What needs improvement?

Lacks service monitoring in the cloud. Necessary to improve service monitoring of database services in the free version.

More than five years.
RB
IT Project Owner
We can monitor a lot of ELP and CLN in real-time for application purposes

What is our primary use case?

We monitor all our technical infrastructure and tickets in the ITSM tool. We have all our tickets inside Centreon in real-time and can monitor a lot of ELP and CLN in real-time for application purposes.

• "We have all our tickets inside Centreon in real-time and can monitor a lot of ELP and CLN in real-time for application purposes."
  • "To get it started is a lot of work, since it comes empty. We had to push information into it to make it work."

What other advice do I have?

When you buy Centreon, you must understand that it is empty. Do not ask it to do your job. Centreon is a solution, and it is very good and efficient if you put all your infrastructure inside. A lot of enterprises buy Centreon and are surprised that it is empty, or it does not work. It does not work, because they have not put anything inside to monitor. Therefore, it is very important to explain the buying and usage of Centreon to future customers. You must work to use Centreon. This is very important.
Operation Team Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have a single GUI where we can view the status of all our infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Our primary purpose for Centreon is monitoring. We use it to view the status of all our pollers, manage them, and configure them. We manage around 30 Centreon pollers. Our team is operating multiple security services (digital signatures, 2FA, secure storage, etc.). We are taking care of everything (hardware, network, hypervisors, VMs, OS, applications, security patches, backup, etc.). Centreon is used to monitor the health of each component and alert us in case of failure. It gives us an overview of our infrastructure health and provides real-time feedback when doing changes.

• "We have a single GUI where we can view the status of all our infrastructure."
  • "Sometimes, when the GUI and some of the search fields are being reset, and I return to the page, then I have to set them again. Therefore, some improvement on the UI and the filtering is needed."

What other advice do I have?

If they have the same issues that we had, which means a lot of pollers spread across the whole infrastructure and no central view to look at the entire status with the need to manage everything together, then it is a good solution. For this use case, I would highly recommend it.
Chief Technology Officer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Improved our awareness of how well our network is running and of network faults

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring our telecommunications network.

• "Valuable features include the ability to schedule downtime, intensity or depth of monitoring which it does, different plugin packs, Centreon MAP, Centreon BI."
  • "I went through a few things with them to do with Centreon MAP, to do with active polygons, being able to draw an area and make that active. The functionality was in the older version of Centreon MAP and in the new version, which was a complete rewrite, they dropped it."

What other advice do I have?

Clearly understand what you want to be able to monitor. Clearly understand what alarms, what things you actually wish to monitor, before you start implementing. There are so many options for configuration and optimization that you really need to be able to map it out beforehand. Design and put down what you want to achieve. Don't just jump in and start adding things. It's a great product, it's very flexible. There is a lot of customization you can do with the product. It has numerous add-ons that can enhance the functionality of the product.
VM
Global IT Operations Manager
Provides early alerting of problems within our IT infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for a central monitoring system for all our IT equipment. We can predict problems and react before we have an issue on our infrastructure. We managed to merge all our technical monitoring into a single console, therefore building good availability reporting all around.

• "The most valuable feature is the monitoring of servers and networks, because we have a lot of them and need to maintain control."
  • "Release management and quality of testing need improvement, because with each major upgrade we have many issues coming in. Then, it takes several minor upgrades to get rid of them."
Monitoring expert
Supports active monitoring, we don't have to use traps; we can see problems before our customers do

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of customers, we manage their LANs, firewalls, and other devices - mainly network devices - and we also monitor them. If we get an alarm we can see right away what is going on and log in to those devices to check what is going on.

• "It supports active monitoring so we don't have to use traps. From time to time traps are not very useful because we never know if they are actually working or not. The reporting part is also valuable as are the event logs. Using them we can check right away if something has had a hiccup."
  • "The downtimes feature is helpful. If the ISP is doing some maintenance on its network, we have the option to put downtime on the devices or the services, so we won't get any false alarms."
  • "Improvements I would like to see include a discovery solution, better reports, and end-to-end monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

If you put it up, be sure to use Centreon's documentation because if you don't use it you will run into problems. Otherwise, I would recommend it because it's quite easy to set up, it's easy to use, their documentation is quite okay. At first, the documentation was very bad, but in recent years it has gotten better, much better. Set it up, test it and try it and you will see that it is the product that you want to work with.