Chatter OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Chatter?

Chatter is a part of the sales cloud service that SalesForce1 provides for businesses looking to optimize their efficiency by transferring most or all of their data onto a cloud server. Chatter is the social media platform aspect of this service. It has many functions, including the capability to post comments as status updates for others to view, a news feed to receive these updates immediately, user profiles, and groups.

Chatter is used widely to cut out the kind of inefficiencies that come from having a sprawling network of team members and locations for data that frequently never come together despite the fact that they are a9ll needed for the same project. With this service, team members are able to share,collaborate, and discuss ideas about their project, tweak each others progress, and create a more productive work force overall.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Chatter Customers

Coca Cola Enterprise, Blue Shield of California, Stanley Black & Decker, Wells Fargo Bank, Phillips, Toyota Motors, American Red Cross, Time Warner Cable, Virgin America,Canon, and Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

Chatter Video

Archived Chatter Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user669357
Salesforce Senior Cloud Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Contextualized collaboration on records allows you to have historical conversations that are accessible by other users.

What is most valuable?

Salesforce Chatter allows for contextualized collaboration on records that allows you to have historical conversations, which are easily accessible by other users. This means that when the users leave or are unavailable, the conversation isn't lost in someone's inbox; it's readily available for anyone and also helps to prevent re-inventing the wheel.

How has it helped my organization?

Chatter is a great way to connect your users, especially if your team is working in multiple time zones or locations. If you're struggling with why to use collaboration tools at all, I'd suggest you watch this video.

One the best examples that I've seen is a property team who were managing the entire process from leasing properties with branding to shop merges via Salesforce. All of their notifications were email-based and they were getting 100s per day. By moving these alerts to automated posts into particular groups, the users could not only access multiple updates by using digests instead of per alert, but also choose to control who (group members) and how often they get those alerts.

What needs improvement?

Live consumption of the communication needs to be improved so that it can offer more features similar to Twitter/Slack, such as a live rolling news feed, notification bells (to avoid email alerts), ability to share multiple files or actions in one post, etc.

*Note: Some of these features are in the Lightning Experience only, which would greatly assist Classic users.

I have been using this solution for four years.

There were no stability issues; Chatter is part of the Salesforce platform.

There were no scalability issues from a functionality point of view. However, if you are rolling out Chatter as your main collaboration tool for your company/community, it does require either a part-time or full-time (depending on the users/activity) community manager, to support the ecosystem. Having someone to help drive adoption, connect users to the information and for training, will really help with the overall success of the platform.

I would give the technical support a 10/10 rating, as Chatter is part of the Salesforce platform, so you will have access to the help and training sections, as well as the ability to log cases in Salesforce support. There is a vibrant and helpful success community that you can reach out to.

Previously, a team had used Yammer for collaboration, but it was siloed from the rest of the business and did not connect to the CRM.

The setup was super simple, i.e., assuming you have Chatter enabled, then you're all up and running! You can make/add more features to Chatter, so as to enhance the tool. For instance, creating Chatter groups, leveraging the automation tools to create automated posts (welcome posts instead of email notifications), etc.

Chatter is included at no extra cost for all editions. Chatter is also available to non-Salesforce users for additional costs (speak to your AE).

We looked at other solutions, namely, Slack, Quip and Yammer.

For some teams, depending on how they collaborate, you might find that it makes sense to have two collaboration tools, i.e., business-wide communications on Chatter and subteams, perhaps the development team, using Slack.

What other advice do I have?

Don't choose, just turn it on and hope for the best. Chatter needs love and attention in order to be successful. Look at how your teams are currently collaborating, so as to see how you can meet current challenges with the new tool.

Have a rollout plan with the early adopters or the Chatter cheerleaders.

Consider setting up some groups before Go Live, such as ask the CEO, have company-wide updates, look at the current distribution lists for ideas, etc.

Get leadership buy-in or have some higher management post and encourage for the communications to be moved to Chatter.

Make it fun: Allow subgroups for Friday Funny's or for GIFs to be shared.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I currently work as a consultant with an implementation partner. However, most of my Chatter experience was as a customer.
it_user664617
Senior Vice President, Digital Innovations at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
The conversation function engages different groups. It is not a customizable application.

What is most valuable?

The conversation function to engage different groups is the most valuable feature. It breaks down the silos between them.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed some groups to easily get answers from each other on crucial topics.

What needs improvement?

• It is not a customizable application
  • The structure is rigid
  • It is too expensive on storage
  • The search function is not solid

I have used Chatter for two and half years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have had scalability problems. There are lots of limits on following conversations and uploading documents.

Technical support is average.

This was our first solution of this type. We would not select them again.

The setup was not straightforward. We ended up redoing what the first vendor did to make it better.

Understand all the hidden fees. Push them about storage costs.

We looked at too many to list. I don’t remember all of them.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to more customers of the product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Salesforce, Microsoft, Slack and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user635484
Senior Salesforce Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We use the Follow a Record feature to track changes that a record goes through in a sales cycle. I'd like them to add an upload video files feature along with its thumbnail icon.

What is most valuable?

I am a Salesforce consultant, therefore I don’t use Salesforce as an end user. However, I generally use it to share / chat project-related information with fellow developers. Personally, I feel that the feature to Follow a Record is most useful in Sales Cloud, in order to track changes that a record goes through in a sales cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

As I am a Salesforce consultant and work in a service-based organization, we implement / customize Salesforce for our clients.

What needs improvement?

One of the features that can be added is to upload video files and to display the thumbnail icon of the video file. If a user wants to share any training video, or wants to share details regarding an issue that happened after performing a set of operations, then the user can record screen activities in a video and share the video file with other users.

Sometimes it is easier to get an idea about a video (uploaded/shared via Chatter) just by looking at a thumbnail image of the video. This allows the user to get an idea about the content and user may choose to skip it, if he/she wants to.

It is very well received by Salesforce Community. In fact, Salesforce is planning to use it internally for their employees.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support a 7/10 because Salesforce has its own way of looking at technical issues and sometimes takes its own time to implement / release changes as per their convenience.

For example, if there is a standard feature, and it makes more sense logically to add one more functionality with it but Salesforce doesn’t provide it; then in such cases, one can start a discussion / new idea forum. After which Salesforce looks at it and checks if it makes sense to add that feature or not. For such issues, sometimes users have to wait a lot or alternatively, have to go for some AppExchange product in order to satisfy their needs.

The pricing depends on the licensing and licensing depends on what the Salesforce.org client wants, i.e., based on the business requirement and the number of users. The kind of Salesforce.org a client should go for, clearly depends on the businesses processes that the client wants to automate either currently or in the near / distant future.

Salesforce being the number one cloud-based CRM product, I think one can recommend it in the first go.

What other advice do I have?

Try to use as much out-of-the-box features as possible, because for achieving the best performance one should go for 80% of configuration and 20% of customization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My organization is an implementation partner with Salesforce.
it_user628065
Senior Salesforce.com Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Helps us create groups to work on a specific project. We can create a case corresponding to a user request.

What is most valuable?

• Chatter Groups: Helps us create groups for our teams to work on a specific project. Sales teams in our organization get together to get the deal closed faster.
  • Publisher Actions/Actions: Using this functionality, we have defined a custom page to create a case corresponding to a user request. We also use Chatter actions to create new opportunities while having a discussion with a customer in a group.

How has it helped my organization?

• Questions and Answers: Helps us to maintain a knowledge base for our sales team.
  • Topics: Helps us to align records to a particular theme to which they belong.
  • Ideas: The sales team can post their ideas and help other departments to get it delivered if they pass thru a certain threshold.
  • Follow: Follow people who have influence in your organization.
  • File Sharing: Share files with multiple people/groups

What needs improvement?

Chatter invites should be possible from the UI on opportunity records. You can then invite important stakeholders to keep an eye on a deal. Currently, this is only available by the API.

I have been using Chatter for four years.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no scalability issues.

Technical support gets a rating of 4/5.

We bought Chatter with Salesforce CRM. Before this, the sales team was using Excel, so the communication channel was Jabber.

The setup was easy. You need a certified Salesforce developer/administrator to make it go live smoothly.

Make sure you bargain before you purchase the license. Salesforce always has the best deals based on your organization's size.

We evaluated Jabber.

What other advice do I have?

Do note that this is a collaboration tool, not a chat tool. Go through all the features. It offers more than what you are looking for. For example, file sharing and "mentions".

it_user628041
Product Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I use groups to exchange information with a community. The user and mobile experience could be closer to the B2C mobile apps standard.

What is most valuable?

I use Chatter groups to exchange information with a community.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to promote digital activities into internal communication groups.
It helped us to strengthen our digital community all over the world with a dedicated group to share project information and best practices.

What needs improvement?

• The storage of documents was quite limited when we used the tool. I think Salesforce was improving it, working with some other cloud solution like Microsoft or Google Drive.
  • The user and mobile experience could be improved to look like a user friendly tool closer to the B2C mobile apps standard.

I have been using Chatter for three years.

We have not had any stability problems.

We have not had any scalability problems.

I would give technical support a rating of 4.5/5.

We used emails, but we did not use any enterprise social network before using Chatter.

It was quite easy to set up.

Chatter is quite expensive. Be sure you make the mandatory change management after buying this tool. You'll need it to make the users create added value with Chatter.

We didn’t look at alternatives for the Enterprise Social Network part. That was already included within the Salesforce licenses we had.

What other advice do I have?

Think of your change management strategy first.

Marketing Manager with 201-500 employees
Has enabled us to share information internally without sending emails. Some users had issues with the desktop download.

What is most valuable?

Comment, share, use hashtags.

How has it helped my organization?

It is now possible to share information instantly with all the company without sending emails, but also looking for a topic using the search function.

3 years

No big issues apart from the Desktop Download as some users were simply not able to do it.

Customer Service: 10/10 Technical Support: 10/10

Straightforward

What

What is most valuable?

Comment, share, use hashtags.

3 years

10/10

10/10

Straightforward

In-house

High

Free of charge

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to use Chatter, then you may want to use Content (document management) as well. Just be aware that price could be a problem in this case.

3 myths people believe for not using Chatter
Most people instantly see the benefits here are three reasons executives have given me for not using Chatter. And here’s what I said in response. The three reasons are: People will post inappropriate content. I’m swamped with email now I’ll be swamped with Chatter posts. It only works if everyone uses it; and everyone won’t use it. It depends what you mean by inappropriate. Employees are no more likely to create a Chatter post telling other people what they did on Saturday night than they are to send out a company-wide email with the same content. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I’ve never heard of it. That doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t have rules on what is acceptable on Chatter. In my own business we use Chatter extensively for business purposes. However several…

1. People will post inappropriate content.
  2. I’m swamped with email now I’ll be swamped with Chatter posts.
  3. It only works if everyone uses it; and everyone won’t use it.

That doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t have rules on what is acceptable on Chatter. In my own business we use Chatter extensively for business purposes. However several of our employees have recently had babies and they’ve posted a picture of the baby on Chatter. Other people have commented on how cute they look.
In our organisation that’s an acceptable use of Chatter. It’s part of the fabric that binds us together as a company. If the pictures hadn’t been posted on Chatter they’d have been circulated out by email. In some of our clients the policy on Chatter is to keep it strictly to business issues. That’s also fine. Just let people know where they stand in terms of how Chatter should be used.

My own experience and that of our clients is that internal email significantly reduces when organisations start to use Chatter. Communication that would have taken place by email now takes place by Chatter.
However because Chatter is a much more collaborative mechanism than email there’s an improvement in the quality of communication. People tend to be more concise. Comments are less political. And you avoid the mess that results when some people ‘Reply All’ and others just ‘Reply’.
However it’s also a question of filtering. You follow the people, records, groups and files that matter to you. If other people want to bring you into the conversation they can @ you. So rather than being swamped, I’ve found that executives in organisations that make good use of Chatter have more time to focus on their important priorities.

Its true that to get the best from Chatter everyone needs to be committed to using it. And to achieve that there are a number of steps that you can take to get everyone on board. We described these more fully in a separate blog post (see “10 tips for successful Chatter adoption”) but essentially they include:

• Get Executives and managers involved from the start.
  • Persuade users to add a picture to their profile.
  • Plant some seeds by pre-populating with Chatter posts.
  • Get Executives to ask questions about deals using Chatter – on the relevant record in salesforce, and
  • Set up feed tracking to receive automated posts when deals or customer service case change status.

Of course not everyone in your organisation is necessarily a full salesforce.com user. However salesforce provide free Chatter-only licenses for existing customers. It’s a powerful way of bringing everyone into the conversation.

Disclosure: The company I work for is a Salesforce.com implementation partner https://www.garysmithpartnership.com

5 reasons to use Chatter in salesforce.com
We’re big users of Chatter at The Gary Smith Partnership and now we take it for granted as a way of working. But a customer asked me this week, “Why should we use it? What are the benefits?” Here’s what I said. 1. It's by far a more collaborative way of working Like many organisations, if someone was trying to solve a problem or get feedback on a presentation they’d send out a global email. Some people would reply to everyone, some would just reply to the sender, the email thread gets jumbled...…it quickly becomes a mess. Now we use Chatter. The problem solving process becomes a conversation rather than a series of disjointed emails. People can interact and spark new ideas. There’s no ambiguity over which is the current version of the document. Other employees can be brought into the conversation using the @ function. The whole process is just a much smarter way of working. 2. You'll get input from unexpected quarters A prospect I was working with recently asked me how they could support a fairly complex business requirement using salesforce. I wasn’t sure so I asked the organisation for help. Previously I’d have sent me email to the top 3 or 4 consultants and technical guys in the team. But this time I posted it on Chatter. And yes, the experienced guys all replied. But one of our graduate trainees also chipped in with some ideas. It wasn’t the final solution but it then sparked some further Chatter discussion that led to the question being answered successfully. It’s not the first time I’ve seen a significant contribution on Chatter that simply wouldn’t have happened in the old way of working. 3. You'll find out things you wouldn't otherwise have known At GSP we use Chatter to keep each other up to date on clients we’re visiting, prospects we’re talking to and projects we’re working on. I was on a train recently and posted on Chatter to say I was on route to visit a particular prospect. It turns out one of our team used to work for their biggest competitor. He saw my post and was able to give me industry insight that I simply didn’t have - and which I wouldn’t have received if I hadn’t made that Chatter post. We got the deal. I’ve found out about configuration tips and tricks I didn’t know about, opportunities I wasn’t aware of, ideas that wouldn’t otherwise have surfaced. 4. It's a great way to keep up to date on deals and projects We make good use of the reports and dashboards in Salesforce.com to track our projects and deals we’re working on. But I also want the important insights and updates to be pushed to me in real time. That’s exactly what Chatter does. I use Chatter to follow the projects and opportunities that are most important to me. When a key field on one of these records is updated I get an automated Chatter post to let me know. It means I save a huge amount of time asking about the status of things – I don’t need to ask because Chatter has told me. Which also means I don’t go around constantly interrupting other people! 5. And you'll get a lot less email! Who doesn’t want less email? I’m not someone that’s ever counted the number of emails I get a day – or how few I receive now – but one thing’s for sure, there’s a lot less internal emails flying around! The dialogue and communication hasn’t reduced, its now being handled a lot more effectively on Chatter. And because Chatter responses often have a wide audience and typed into a box rather than an open email, they tend to me more considered – and shorter! And that means a more efficient and more productive way of working. http://www.garysmithpartnership.com
The Chatter Universe
We’ve been asked a number of times, what exactly is Chatter? Isn’t it ‘The Twitter of Salesforce?’ or ‘Just a bit like Facebook’? It’s true Chatter does incorporate functions from Facebook and Twitter, but is so much more than that. Salesforce have taken all the great functions from social media and incorporated them into Chatter to make Salesforce an even more powerful CRM. Chatter brings you a new level of collaboration within your salesforce environment and your users will have no problem adapting to Chatter if they know how to use any of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Slideshare, Skype, YouTube, Stumbleupon, Flickr, Forums... "I Like Salesforce" Chatter is perfect for collaboration and like Facebook you're able to like, comment and share posts. Chatter also gives you the ability to create Polls - a great way for a busy team to vote with just a simple click! And best of all - no social media advertising! “Hi @SolXConsulting I’m using #salesforce” Just like Twitter when you use Chatter you can instantly connect to what's most important to you, by following colleagues, Opportunities, Campaigns, Leads, Accounts, Cases and Dashboards - in fact anything that’s important to you. @mention your colleague into your conversation or use hashtags to generate popular topics and reply to posts. “I can connect and follow my Colleagues” With your Chatter profile you can manage your professional identity just like you would on Linkedin. Add your own image, update your contact details and follow colleagues and customers to build a Chatter network. Join Groups with customers and colleagues. Private messaging is also available, much the same as you would with Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. “Here’s my presentation about Salesforce Products” Slideshare.com is a great social media platform for sharing slides and presentations. Chatter offers salesforce users the ability to upload and share the same content publicly or privately within a Group. Add PowerPoint presentations, Word documents and Adobe PDF Portfolios directly onto your Chatter Feed or by @mentioning a colleague. “Here’s a video of me using Salesforce” On Chatter you can Share videos with colleagues, groups or customer groups. You can like, comment and share the link, follow the video or even bookmark it for future reference. “Here's a Photo of me using Salesforce” Just like Flickr, Chatter is a great place to upload photos. Share your images with your Chatter network or Customer groups. Upload important images relating to your business or share your photo’s from events or customer sites. “Let’s live chat about Salesforce” Chatter provides you the ability to have an instant chat with your colleagues, it’s perfect for those times you don’t want to post a public message or you wish to collaborate instantly with colleagues anywhere in the world. “Can you help me with my Salesforce query?” Chatter Much the same as Quora.com, we’ve found Chatter is the perfect place to go when you need to ask a question that requires an expert answer. Get real-time help from your colleagues. Or get them to collaborate on resolving business or technical issues. “Salesforce Recommends these Records and People to follow” Chatter has incorporated features from Stumbleupon like Recommendations. Its the easiest way to find new Customers, Documents, Groups, videos, photos and images from across Salesforce. Chatter automatically makes recommendations just for you based on your existing connections and Chatter posts. “This is what I’m reading, and also what I like to follow” Just like Wattpad.com, Chatter allows you to follow documents, presentations, images or Files that are stored in your Salesforce Library. You can share with your colleagues and see who else is following your favorite files. “I’m bookmarking this post about Salesforce” Like Delicous.com, Chatter provides Bookmarking. It’s an easy way to save, organize and remember the posts you find interesting. They are easy to remove and make life simple when referring back to a conversation. “I’m going to search salesforce” Like Google, salesforce provides a powerful search function that means users can find the information they’re looking for whether it’s directly in a record or stored in a Chatter Feed. Searching for items in a specific group is helpful when you want to confirm or check if something was once discussed in the Group. “Let’s have a discussion about Salesforce” Chatter Customer Groups are similar to Forums or Social Media Groups that you’d find on Linkedin or Facebook. As the Group Manager, you’ll be able to manage the profile, add a logo, updated the group members settings and invite guest members from outside the organisation. Disclosure: The company I work for is a Salesforce.com implementation partner - http://www.garysmithpartnership.com
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Salesforce Chatter Notifications
Chatter is a great tool, and if you use Salesforce, you should be using it, and using it every day – many times a day. Chatter is great for “working out loud” and keeping others in your team up to date with what you are doing. There is a lot of help out there about how to use chatter, including the Chatter Best Practices page on the Salesforce website and this excellent series of 9 chatter training videos created by Engineers Australia for their Chatter implementation. They may be a bit specific to just engineers and just the stand-alone chatter app, but they are very well done. One thing I could not find enough information on is Notifications, so here is my explanation of notifications. (Well, it started out as being only about notifications, but it may now include a bit more…

One thing I could not find enough information on is Notifications, so here is my explanation of notifications. (Well, it started out as being only about notifications, but it may now include a bit more information also).

Chatter, like most social networks, can be Push or Pull - eg you can “pull” the information towards you by going to look at your chatter feeds, or have chatter “push” the information out to you, via notifications.

There are different forms of push notifications.

1. Email – set all the emails you want to receive in Chatter Email Settings in your Setup Menu in Salesforce.
  2. The Chatter desktop app – download it onto your PC or mac. Go to settings to set notifications to Pop up, show focus on the app. On a mac you can have the app bounce in the dock or come to the front. You can’t have sound for chatter feed notifications, only chat notifications – confusing, isn’t it.
  3. The Chatter iOS app or Android app. Set the app to provide sound or visual notifications. in Android you can have a sound, vibration and LED flash notification. In iOS you can have sound, badge, banner and alerts – via the notifications centre.

Push Notifications

You will receive push notifications for:

• A post to a public group that you follow:
    • Email: if you have turned on immediate notifications for that group (as opposed to a daily or weekly digest).
    • Desktop:
    • Mobile: No push notification, but it will be in your feed next time you refresh it.
  • A post on your “wall” – someone has gone to your profile, and made a post there.
    • Email: if they have Posts on my profile email notification turned on.
    • Desktop: No sound, no bounce, no visual notification until I went to the mentions, which refreshed the app – something is not right here.
    • Android: Sound, vibration, and notification in the notification tray, if they have been set up.
    • iOS: Notification in the notification centre, and badge, and sound (unless you are on DND). If you are in the app, it is just a circle on the @ symbol.
  • Mentions you in an @ reply (this should be the same as posts on your wall).
    • Yep, the same, However, I did get the bounce, the popup notification on the desktop app. This is weird. It should behave the same as writing on your wall. But it is good, that you can have your notifications appear so forcefully.

Push notifications do take a few minutes to pop up on your destktop app. I tend to get emails immediately, desktop notifications a few minutes later, then android notifications a few minutes after that. Desktop is a bit all over the place.

Pull – Feeds

Feeds are seen by “pulling” the information to you. There are a few types of feeds – Choose which feed you want to look at to see how much or how little you want:

• What I follow – people and records you follow.
  • To Me – posts to me. (if I comment on a post that I made, that post will appear in here – a bit weird).
  • Bookmarked – posts I have bookmarked – useful as a todo list.
  • All company – all posts by all chatter users in the company, even if you don’t follow them. Including posts on records – this can become very busy. The All Company feed is not on iOS, or Desktop but is available on Android – this is weird.

Note, no posts in the feed will display automatically. You have to either:

• Refresh the page in the desktop app.
  • Focus to the desktop app (it appears automatically then).
  • Pull down on the feed in the iOS app to refresh.
  • Click the refresh icon in the Anroid app.

You will see posts in the All Company feed if they are:

• Added to public groups that you don’t follow.
  • Added to the general feed by people you don’t follow – You can also see these by looking at their profile. This is exactly the same as not following someone on twitter, but you can still see their posts on their twitter profile.

Hidden Posts

You won’t ever see posts that are:

• Added to records that you can’t see.
  • Added to private groups that you are not a member of.

See a basic overview of chatter post security, and a quite in-depth look at chatter security, especially for groups.

Searches and Topics

Searches and topics (aka hashtags) are extremely powerful. Search for a topic, save it as a favourite, then you can return to them at any time. Favourites are not available in iOS or Android or on the desktop app.

You need to go to favourites to see posts that contain a search term or topic that is saved as a favourite, or just click on a topic hyperlink to search for all posts with that topic, or search for a word, phrase or topic in the search bar (and choose to search in the feed).

Chat

Chat is part of chatter but is different than chatter – chat is your regular one to one instant messaging kind of chat.  To initiate a chat with someone, go to their chatter profile, if they are logged in at the moment, their chat icon will have a small green circle (presence indicator). Click on start chat, then type what you want.

• They will get a notification in the bottom right hand side of their salesforce window, showing a red chat bubble.
  • If they have turned on sound and / or pop to the front in the desktop app, they will be notified there. A completely new window will open containing the chat.
  • In Firefox, the browser tab will flash and the word *NEW* will appear in the browser title. I have seen this happen on Chrome, but I could not get it to work just now.
  • You don’t get the chat feature in the iOS or Android chatter apps, but you can use Chat in the desktop app.

So basically, chats can be bloody annoying, just as they are in any other app.

Messages

The last feature of Chatter is private messages – just like DM’s on twitter. They are one on one, like chat, but asynchronous, so the person can just get back to you when they can – so therefore they are not as annoying as chat messages.

To send a message, go to the chatter profile as the person and click Send a Message. Type the subject and the message and click Send. (or from your chatter page, click Messages, click New Message, type their name in the To box, type the message, click Send).

• They will get an email notification (if they have email notifications for messages turned on).
  • If they click on their chatter page they will see a number in a blue square next to the messages. Note, however, that they will not see this until AFTER they have refreshed the page. The notification won’t go away until you go into the message and click on it – so that is one positive.
  • Messages appear in the Desktop app but there is only a small green circle over the message icon, and they don’t appear until you do something in the app. And one message did not show up at all, even until I went into the message itself. Very dangerous.
  • Messages don’t appear in iOS or Android at all.

So, not sure if there is any advantage in sending messages over sending emails. Actually I think it is quite dangerous, as you can’t be guaranteed they will see it if they have message notifications turned off.

Have I missed anything? I’m sure I have. I probably have not focused on records enough, and I have not covered chatter external users. Add a note to the comments  if you see any more weird behaviour with Chatter notifications, or want to add anything to this post.

Originally posted on my blog here

it_user9306
CEO with 51-200 employees
#chatterchallenge: Weeks 1-4
Week 1 The week has started off well and continued to get better, the first few days of my #chatterchallenge consisted of Housekeeping; updating my notifications, reviewing who I was following and most important of all making sure the team were following me! Profiling! My first day of the challenge I updated my Chatter profile by adding a picture, including a small blurb in About Me and putting in my contact details. Topics I use Most If you use # in your chatter posts they will appear in Topics I use Most. Mine of course is #chatterchallenge! By clicking this hyperlink your chatter posts will show all chatter relating to that topic! About Me Hyperlinks can be added to your 'About Me' profile, in this instance I added a link to our Company Blog The Chatter Challenge. This way, anyone…

Week 1

About Me Hyperlinks can be added to your 'About Me' profile, in this instance I added a link to our Company Blog The Chatter Challenge. This way, anyone new to the company can instantly see more information, you may want to add your Linkedin profile or a link to an important document.

Groups As I needed to communicate privately, I was able to create Private Groups, in particular for Human Resources, The Management Team and the Finance Department.

Important Documents By clicking on the pencil within a group (circled below), hyperlinks can be added to important documents, in the HR Group I've added in hyperlinks to the Employee Handbook, Health and Safety Manual and the Expenses template.

Private Messages Chatter gives you the option to send Private Messages to other Chatter users in your orgnisation, you can send private messages to anyone, they don't have to be following you or be a member of any groups you belong to. It's nice and simple to send a private message (see the image below). Private messages can't be attached to a record, I kept my messages to team members quite simple and to the point.

Recommendations Tab This is a great way to discover information I didn't previously know, such as marketing campaigns, projects, important sales deals or interesting industry related discussions! Using the “Recommendations” on the right hand side of the Chatter tab, lead me to a new level of discovery.

Selected Recommendations Not interested in the record selected by Recommendations, no problem! Just simply hover over the record and remove it by clicking the x.

Week 2

Week 2 and this #chatterchallenge fantastic! I've been able to review and comment to my hearts content, I've gone mobile with the Chatter App, allowing me to still keep in contact with the team while on the move and I've created a Poll, which I'll review at the end of the #chatterchallenge.

@Mention One the Consultants completed a fantastic job, and to ensure they saw my Chatter post, I @mention them! This created a conversation between the consultants - and generated collaboration and problem solving in the team!

Messages @mention a colleague in a contact's chatter feed to alert them to a phone call - no need for scribbled post-it notes or emails!

Document Sharing I had a large Finance Report which I needed to share with the team, just one simple upload and all my comments and reviews are now in one place!

Documents v Links You don't have to upload a document, for example we often use Google Documents, so you can also share the google document link. Below you can see Claire has shared a link doc with me.

Ground Rules Within SolX it’s acceptable to post about subjects that are not strictly work related – a new baby for example. We take the view that the pictures would be circulated by email anyway. In other organisations Chatter is the preserve of work subjects only. Both policies are fine – providing you let employees know where they stand.

Poll it! We are considering updating our SOW document, and on Day 9 I created a Poll! It was very simple to create, at the end of the #chatterchallenge I’ll review the results! Some of the team have already voted - this is a great system for a busy team to use.

Group Polls Remember if you post a poll in a private group, only the members of that group can vote.

The Chatter App I’m out of the office today, but not to worry, I’ve updated my Chatter App and I’m ready to go! I was able to keep in touch with the team and not miss any updates to Opportunities and Campaigns I follow.

Here's a demo video on the Chatter App https://youtu.be/bxQWi2rVE7M

Week 3

I was out of the office last week, but not to worry, I updated my Chatter App and was able to keep in touch with the team at the touch of a button.

I’m #Trending It’s time to #trend! I Started a trend by adding a #Topic to my post, frequently used topics become trends. Topics are similar to hashtags used in other social networking sites, create a topic by typing a hash sign and a word, for example, #automation or #finance

Searching for #trends You are also able to search for #trends in the main search field on salesforce, very handy function!

Whats Trendy? On your profile, there is a handy little list which shows the Topics that you ust most, here's what I've been trending all week!

Follow a Campaign Marketing created a new Campaign “Marketing Automation and Lead Generation” which I was interested in keeping tabs on, I just followed it through Chatter...easy!

Customer Groups I was able to keep my Customer group informed of any relevant changes in the campaign as they happen in real time. Marketing have also added a flyer for this Event, which I posted this in the Customer Group. Customers instantly liked the event and signed up!

Presentation Sharing I uploaded the ISO Powerpoint Presentation to share with the team. Fantastic result, after uploading the Presentation, @GarySmith who was at a Customer site, was able to show the presentation immediately to customer! To follow up, Marketing noticed and posted some corresponding documents Think I’ll follow that customer opportunity, it looks promising.

Follow that Document! You can follow documents as well as people, just like I have with the ISO presentation.

Week 4

This is my last week of the #chatterchallenge and I loved it! I can report now that I’ll never be going back to internal Email, the #chatterchallenge will continue!

Collaboration! A document was posted on Chatter, I liked it and left my comments. My comment then started an in-house discussion amongst the consultants, regarding a piece of work. This kind of collaboration is fantastic. As I had bookmarked this discussion, I was able to quickly refer back to it, I then @mentioned Marketing into the discussion as they’ll find the information useful for the next Newsletter!

Campaign Review I checked on the Campaign “Marketing Automation”, which now has 12 new contacts added to it, I was able to see how many of these were my existing customers, I recommended the team follow the campaign.

Updating Campaign Feed tracking This was very simple, just a few clicks and I was able to choose which fields I'd like to be notified about!

Chatter Notifications Because I had updated by Feed tracking, I was able to see the description of the campaign had been updated, this was excellent news, the more information the better, I passed this onto my customers via the Chatter group.

Customer Groups Customers Groups take you to a whole new level of Customer Service! When a was question about Charts and Dashboards was posted in the Customer Chatter Group, I was able to respond and post a link to our Blog: 10 Charts on a Salesforce.com Dashboard. I also followed the Sales Teams Dashboards to keep me up to date with their progress. From my simple post five customers have liked the Blog post in the chatter and two of those customers are now following the SolX Blog!

Poll Results Polls are a great way for a busy team to vote, with just a simple click! The poll I created in Week 2 is now up for review, looks like majority of the team want an update, I made the changes and updated the document in Content and posted a chatter. So Easy!

This has been a very successful #chatterchallenge, and a challenge I'm thrilled I accepted! I won’t be turning back now! Follow us at www.garysmithpartnership.com/blog

it_user3708
Marketing with 201-500 employees
I love the streaming feed of information. Wish I could get it company-wide

Valuable Features:

I love the streaming feed of information from the people that I'm following that encourages collaboration at a business level.

Room for Improvement:

I wish an organization could create a company-wide Chatter that automatically follows everyone else in the company so that widespread access was guaranteed.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Salesforce, Microsoft, Slack, and more!