Check Point Antivirus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point Antivirus is #4 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. IT Central Station users give Check Point Antivirus an average rating of 8 out of 10. Check Point Antivirus is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon:Check Point Antivirus vs CrowdStrike Falcon. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 53% of all views.
What is Check Point Antivirus?

Antivirus uses real-time virus signatures and anomaly-based protections from ThreatCloud™, extensive threat intelligence to proactively stop threats and manage security services to monitor your network for rapid incident response and fast attack resolution. Learn More about Antivirus Software.

Check Point Antivirus is also known as Check Point Antivirus Software Blade.

Check Point Antivirus Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Antivirus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Check Point Antivirus Customers

Morton Salt, Medical Advocacy and Outreach, BH Telecom, Lightbeam Health Solutions, X by Orange, Cadence, Nihondentsu, Datastream Connexion, Good Sam, Omnyway, FIASA, Pacific Life, Banco del Pacifico, Control Southern, Xero, Centrify

Check Point Antivirus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Check Point Antivirus pricing:
  • "The pricing is very expensive. You need to buy the appliance and subscription as well."
  • "Choosing the correct set of licenses is essential because, without the additional software blade licenses, the Check Point gateways are just a stateful firewall."

Check Point Antivirus Reviews

JalalAtik
Owner and CEO at A.T.I.K. Maroc
All-in-one solution that offers the ability for users to have a different interface port per user group

• "They have pretty much everything you can ask for as far as features are concerned. That is because they know their market. They are focused on what they do and they do only that."
  • "The pricing is really extremely high in comparison to the rest of the market."

What is our primary use case?

The main feature we use this product for is the firewall. The second thing we use it for is the secure VPN for connections to the corporate office. The third one is intrusion prevention and antivirus. It is an all-in-one solution for peace of mind.

There is really a fourth feature. The appliance has at least four interfaces. This allows users to have a different interface port per user group. It is a way of making network segmentation. There are four ports on that appliance, but there can be six or seven.

What is most valuable?

One of my favorite features is the logging. The log journal is very descriptive in what it records about the traffic. It is a good way of tracking who comes in and who goes out of your network.

What needs improvement?

I think this product is made by the market leaders. They have pretty much everything you can ask for as far as features are concerned. The pricing is high and I think it could be more competitive if it was lower. They might resolve that difference by offering even more features.

Another feature I'd like to see is a different way to handle load balancing on the firewall. Sometimes when you are using a firewall, you need another layer to properly balance your traffic. Right now that means adding more equipment, which is expensive. If Check Point could offer another option for a different way of doing load balancing, that would be a cost-savings for the client.

Another option might be offering data fusion. Sometimes you can combine the data stream. If you can and you do, you will have one stream instead of having multiple streams. That is also very cost-saving when you can fuse the data.

The product is stable. I'm quite satisfied with the stability.

I think the technical support is very good. They know what they are talking about and I get answers when I need them.

The setup was straightforward. The deployment took me only a couple of hours.

I am both a consultant and at the same time a systems integrator. I do the installations.

The pricing is really extremely high in comparison to the rest of the market. The cost for the licensing of the Check Point 3100 series is a little bit over 10,000 euros. But they also make the software subscription mandatory. That means that not only do you have to buy the appliance, but you have to also buy a subscription.

The other firewall solutions that my clients usually want to consider when they are looking for an anti-malware tool aside from Check Point are Fortinet (which is also a good product) and SonicWall (which is also a good product).

As far as how these products compare, I would say Fortinet has more accessibility in terms of just getting the product. Check Point is very hard to procure. You have to go through different channels, you have to follow different requirements and give a lot of private information in order to acquire it. Sometimes there are governmental laws and restrictions that affect the procurement of a product with such sophisticated encryption. It is almost like they have to clamp down on the encryption when the product is outside the US. It is like wifi. When you order wifi access points for the UK or for the US, there are different encryption algorithms. As soon as that product goes out of Europe or the US, it is illegal to keep the same encryption type. You have to lower the level of encryption for some reason. It seems very strange.

When leading countries start dictating what you should have and what you should not have, it seems like there is no justice. It should not be that you consider yourself a privileged country and you want to have a high level of encryption and not allow people in other countries to have it. If you believe in fairness, equality, and sharing — all of these values are things we hear them talking about, but that they don't allow us to experience. In just buying the goods, you have different standards for our country. The same product should be the same thing everywhere. We are on the same grounds and the same sky above you. It is not fair and even trades for everybody, but it costs the same.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give to others who are looking to implement Check Point Antivirus in their organization is the same advice I would give to someone considering any solution. Before you invest any money in any product — it could be Check Point, it could be Fortinet — you have to know what you are trying to achieve. If you don't know what you are trying to achieve, there is no purpose in buying anything. It will not serve a purpose.

First, define your parameters, understand the risk that you are up against without the solution and what the benefits are if you buy. Then after you think about it, it is time to decide if it is worth it according to your actual needs. You do not always need to go to get fancy products and an enterprise solution if the purpose and scope for your plans do not fit the model of those products. Sometimes I hear people just say they want a product because they hear it is the best name. Sometimes a choice like that is more overwhelming. It does not serve the purpose, it is more difficult to deploy and people end up not even using it. The purchase becomes an operating capital that gets burned and spent for no reason when it was money they could have invested somewhere else. They just put the money in the wrong place because they want to do like everyone else. If you are talking about a large insurance corporation, their needs are much different than if you are talking about a small or medium-sized company that does not fall under so many government restrictions.

I would recommend Check Point Antivirus for medium and enterprise-sized organizations. Not for small organizations because it would almost always be too much.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Check Point Antivirus as an eight to nine. That is because they know their market. They are focused on what they do and they do only that. Their focus is not spread out so they produce the best product.

Network Security Engineer/Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stops viruses from crossing the perimeter firewall to the inside

• "The feature that we find most valuable is the easy way of configuring it via the SmartConsole on Check Point. The configuration is very straightforward and although it has some impact on the firewall CPU and memory, it doesn't impact the IPS, for example. It allows for the scanning of downloaded files from the internet. Scanning files that our users have downloaded to check if they have any virus is the most important thing."
  • "Sometimes the antivirus updates fail. We don't understand why because sometimes it fails but the next time you try it goes well and the firewall always has access to the internet. We don't understand why it sometimes fails."

What is our primary use case?

The Antivirus Blade is one of the Blades we always buy for all of our Check Point firewalls to protect us against virus propagation into our infrastructure. Check Point has a huge database that protects us against viruses that is especially important for the internet-facing firewalls.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the easy way of configuring it via the SmartConsole on Check Point. The configuration is very straightforward and although it has some impact on the firewall CPU and memory, it doesn't impact the IPS, for example. It allows for the scanning of downloaded files from the internet. Scanning files that our users have downloaded to check if they have any virus is the most important thing. IPS and Antivirus work in conjunction. It doesn't even cross the perimeter firewall to the inside.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the antivirus updates fail. We don't understand why because sometimes it fails but the next time you try it goes well and the firewall always has access to the internet. We don't understand why it sometimes fails.

We have been using Check Point Antivirus for four years.

It's very stable. The only thing is that sometimes the Antivirus Blade fails but then the next time it succeeds. We get some alerts that the Antivirus Blades fail. But it then automatically updates. Antivirus is different from IPS, it's always trying to update and it's automatic.

It scales well. You can use the same profile and the same exceptions on all the firewalls on the management. It's deployed to eight firewalls.

It takes three people to maintain the solution. They are security, engineers, and architects.

Technical support is good. We were getting some logs without any information and we couldn't get to a conclusion of what that was. We gave up because it was not a big deal, but it was the only bad experience we had with them. In general, it's good.

We also used Fortinet's Antivirus. They are equivalent from one to the other. Even the configuration is similar. There's not a big advantage to one or the other.

The initial setup was very straightforward. If you want to block a virus, for example, the signatures have a medium or higher impact. It's very easy to create the initial profile. It's also very easy to deploy exceptions with the SmartConsole.

We could do the deployment without all of the fine-tuning in one day.

Our implementation strategy was to start with the Blade on detection mode for at least one week, then check the box to see what would be brought in if we were on prevention mode and see if we need to do some exceptions or if there are any false positives. If not, we put it on prevention mode.

Our return of investment is to have our infrastructure protected and to see that something is a working virus that would otherwise be able to reach our infrastructure.

Usually, Check Point products are not cheap but compared to Fortinet, it's in line with the competition. There aren't additional fees that I'm aware of.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Check Point firewalls on your infrastructure, this is the best solution to deploy because it's just to enable a Blade. If you don't have Check Point firewalls, you should also consider other solutions. If you already have Check Point firewalls, the traffic is already going through them so it's just a matter of enabling the Blade.

Try to run through the manuals to see the signatures and how to deploy and to create a profile. You can install the SmartConsole and run the demo mode and you can do some simulations without having to deploy a firewall. It's also good that you can do the demo mode and try to create an exception to create a profile.

It's not very hard to have a network antivirus solution which can be very important to protect the network. It should be as important as having the antivirus on the end-user's machine.

I would rate Check Point Antivirus a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the updates.

Learn what your peers think about Check Point Antivirus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oleg Pekar
Senior Network/Security Engineer at Skywind Group
Regularly updated and has good event visibility and logging

• "There is almost no impact on the security Gateway/Cluster performance after the activation of the blade, especially if you don't scan nested archives."
  • "I think that the pricing for the Check Point products should be reconsidered, as we found it to be quite expensive to purchase and to maintain."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works in the area of developing and delivering online gambling platforms. The Check Point Next-Generation Firewalls are the core security solution we use for the protection of our datacenter environment, located in Asia (Taiwan).

The environment has about 50 physical servers as virtualization hosts, and we have two HA Clusters that consist of 2x5400 hardware appliances, managed by an OpenServer Security Management Server on a Virtual Machine (KVM), all running on R80.10 with the latest JumboHotfix.

The Check Point Antivirus software blade is one of the numerous blades activated on the NGFWs and serves for security improvement in the area of scanning files that are traversing the network for the presence of viruses or other malicious software.

How has it helped my organization?

The Check Point HA Clusters are used to protect our company's datacenter, located in Asia (Taiwan). This software blade, the Check Point Antivirus, is activated in conjunction with the others and serves to scan the files traversing via the network. They may be in the form of email attachments or via HTTP/S.

Such files are scanned for the presence of known viruses and malware with the help of the built-in database. The database is updated as per schedule, which for us is four times per day.

The software is quite simple to use, yet still efficient. The antivirus scans are the basic security mechanism, which should be implemented on all the levels. In my opinion, the Check Point Antivirus does its job just right.

What is most valuable?

1. The Antivirus software blade is part of the Next Generation Threat Prevention license bundle.
  2. The Antivirus is able to scan files downloaded from the internet or traversing the network via Check Point Gateways/Clusters.
  3. The Antivirus software blade is configured via the Unified Threat Prevention policy in the Smart Console (at least for R80.10, the version we use).
  4. There is almost no impact on the security Gateway/Cluster performance after the activation of the blade, especially if you don't scan nested archives.
  5. The updates for the blade are downloaded every two hours.
  6. As with the other Check Point blades, the visibility and logging of events are outstanding.

What needs improvement?

I think that the pricing for the Check Point products should be reconsidered, as we found it to be quite expensive to purchase and to maintain. Maintenance requires that the licenses and the support services be prolonged regularly.

Alternatively, they should create some additional bundles of the software blades with significant discounts in addition to the current Next Generation Threat Prevention & SandBlast (NGTX) and Next Generation Threat Prevention (NGTP) offers.

We also had several support cases opened for software issues, but none of them were connected with the Check Point Antivirus software blade.

We have been using this product for about three years, starting in late 2017.

The Check Point Antivirus software blade is stable and we haven't faced any issues with it.

The Check Point Antivirus software blade scales well with the gateways we use, since it doesn't affect the overall performance much after activation.

We have had several support cases opened, but none of them were connected with the Check Point Mobile Access Software Blade. Some of the issues were resolved by installing the latest recommended JumoHotfix, whereas some required additional configuration at the OS kernel level.

The longest issue took about one month to be resolved, which we consider too long.

No, we didn't previously use another network antivirus solution.

The setup was straightforward. The configuration was easy and understandable, and we relied heavily on built-in objects and groups.

Our deployment was completed by our in-house team. We have a Check Point Certified engineer working in the engineering team.

No, since we had Check Point NGFWs implemented, we just enabled the new software blade.

DB
Assistant Manager at CIANS ANALYTICS PVT. LTD
User
A good antivirus with excellent email alerts but needs better technical support

• "We like the sandbox feature."
  • "Technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an antivirus. We want to protect our systems from malware and viruses.

We are still doing work from home and we are not sure how long this will last. Before Check Point Harmony software, we depended on Windows Defender Antivirus, but we realized that it was not so good. We wanted some good AV so that users who are working on a VPN would have an antivirus installed on their system.

Also, we wanted a sandbox feature so that, if any machine got infected, we can automatically isolate it from the network.

How has it helped my organization?

When starting, we faced many issues. It was due to a partner mistake, however. The partner gave us the wrong setup which caused laptops to crash and it lowered the efficiency. We escalated to our Check Point sales account manager. He immediately set us up with some other partner and tried to resolve the issue. He found the root cause, but still, we needed to format the system. It has been more than 3 months, and now the user's system is working fine.

We always receive alert emails from Check Point regarding malware or virus status, which is helpful.

What is most valuable?

We like the sandbox feature. If any machine got infected, it would get automatically isolated from the network. As such, we haven't faced any issues. We like that we have an option to isolate.

The alert email from Check Point is also very valuable. If any machine didn't get a scan or has a virus due to visiting various websites on a browser, it automatically sends us an email to warn us. Accordingly, we can take action on that particular machine.

Overall, the antivirus is good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better. When we register a complaint, we need to register it via the portal only, which is atime consuming.

When we register the complaint, it says there's a minimum of four hours of turnaround time which is high. It should be a minimum of 60 minutes.

The GUI of Harmony is very slow to upload. I'm not sure if it is due to the internet, but still, at times, we found that when we click on any tab, it takes a minimum of five seconds to get it open.

All other things are okay from our end.

One feature we want to add is an EDR/XDR into this antivirus module.

I've been using the solution for 4 months.

The stability is good.

I found the solution to be okay. I'm not sure how others are providing the support as we haven't checked that.

Technical support is good.

No, we haven't used any other antivirus. It was by default in Windows.

The initial setup was okay.

We implement it through a vendor.

I would rate their level of service at a 2 out of 5 where 1 is lowest and 5 is best.

If we talk about ROI, then the solution is good, as we are getting a sandbox feature in it plus the VPN licenses if we have the Check Point firewall.

The setup is okay depending on the partner and what the relationship is with you and your partner. The pricing is okay.

Yes, we have evaluated other options. For example, we've evaluated Sophos.

Other
LA
Network, Systems and Security Engineer at SOLTEL Group
Easy to scale, heuristic scanning protects against previously unknown threats, and the support is good

• "Heuristic detection scans for suspicious characteristics that can be found in unknown, new viruses and modified versions of known viruses."
  • "It is very difficult to get ahead of what's coming in terms of new threats, however, I think that Check Point Antivirus must improve against zero-day attacks."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our computers and remove all malicious software or code designed to damage our computers or data that belongs to our clients. We are notified of these actions.

It is very important to protect all endpoints in our networks because these devices are entry points and every time, it is more difficult for our users to detect what object is malware and what object is legitimate software.

Malware is evolving so rapidly that some estimate a new malware instance is created nearly every second.

How has it helped my organization?

We decided to implement Check Point Antivirus because they are an avant-garde company and they design the latest technology. In this case, their solution implements:

• Signature-based detection identifies malware by comparing code in a program to the code of known virus types that have already been encountered, analyzed, and recorded in a database.
  • Heuristic detection scans for suspicious characteristics that can be found in unknown, new viruses and modified versions of known viruses.
  • Rootkit detection scans and blocks malicious code designed to gain administrative access to a machine.
  • Real-time detection scans and monitors files as they are accessed.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable feature of Check Point Antivirus is the real-time detection scan that monitors files as they are accessed. It is important because we can react quickly.

Today, malicious coders and hackers are experts at evasive tactics that shield their activities. Therefore, in today’s cybersecurity landscape, antivirus is just one of the many tools in an organization’s cybersecurity arsenal to keep the business safe.

The antivirus solution should be implemented as part of the organization’s endpoint security solution that combines global threat intelligence and advanced threat prevention engines that address zero-day and other next-generation threats.

What needs improvement?

It is very difficult to get ahead of what's coming in terms of new threats, however, I think that Check Point Antivirus must improve against zero-day attacks.

Today, next-gen approaches extend signature-based detection with behavioral detection, machine learning, sandboxing, and other techniques that are optimized to address threats such as malicious URLs, browser hijackers, advanced persistent threats, and phishing exploits. However, zero-day attacks keep happening quite frequently.

We have been using Check Point Antivirus for 11 months.

In 11 months, we haven't had any problems. Our system is very stable and works fine.

This solution is easily scalable.

We deployed this solution once, and we have only needed to add new devices/servers/endpoints to our infrastructure to expand it.

Check Point Service Support is very good. Normally, they contact you shortly after you open the ticket, and in all cases, they have given us a good solution.

We use only this solution as a centralized solution. At other times, we used free software products.

Before the initial setup, we used a training pack. For this, we can set up the entire system in a short time and we only use a small number of support hours.

We implemented it through the best vendor team in Spain. They are 100% recommendable.

My team and I evaluated other products and vendors based on price, experience, technology, ease of configuration, integration time, licensing, etc. Finally, we opted for this Check Point solution.

Private Cloud

Other
PP
ciso at SDIS49
Provides good security and integrates well with other products

• "Check Point integrates well with other security products."
  • "The initial setup and configuration should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this antivirus as part of our overall security solution. It handles the centralized investigation of internet content.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

Check Point integrates well with other security products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing can be improved.

The interface could be more user-friendly.

The initial setup and configuration should be simplified.

We have been using Check Point Antivirus for four years.

This is a very stable product.

We have not had the need to scale. We have about 3,000 people who are protected by Check Point, and three of them are administrators.

I would say that the technical support is okay. There are two levels; there is our installer, who we have known for several years, and there is the engineer, who we do not have much contact with.

We use Windows Defender for our endpoint antivirus solution. For email protection, we use the FireEye Email Security solution. Our Check Point handles our central filtering and we also use some Infinity products. All of these work in combination with each other for our security.

The initial setup is complex. For the complete installation, our deployment took a few days.

We had the help of a Check Point specialist for our deployment.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Anti-Malware Tools
Download our free Check Point Antivirus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.