Check Point Harmony Mobile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point Harmony Mobile is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Threat Defense tools. It is most often compared to Lookout: Check Point Harmony Mobile vs Lookout

What is Check Point Harmony Mobile?

Mobile Security: Robust, Agile & Transparent

In the new normal, while employees are increasingly accessing corporate data from their smartphones, your business is exposed to breaches more than ever.

Harmony Mobile* delivers complete protection for your mobile workforce that is simple to deploy, manage and scale.

Check Point Harmony Mobile is also known as Check Point Mobile Access, Check Point SandBlast Mobile.

Check Point Harmony Mobile Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Harmony Mobile Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Check Point Harmony Mobile Customers

Samsung Research America, Mississippi Office of the Secretary of State

Check Point Harmony Mobile Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Check Point Harmony Mobile pricing:
  • "Check Point provides a separate license in cases where organizations want to use this only on mobile devices, or laptops/desktops."
  • "Check Point pricing is better than Symantec."
  • "Choosing the correct set of licenses is essential because, without the additional software blade licenses, the Check Point gateways are just a stateful firewall."

Check Point Harmony Mobile Reviews

LeonWessels
IT Security Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Filled a gap in our security posture by protecting mobile handsets and our corporate network

• "We like the URL content filtering, that is one of the most valuable features."
  • "It also enables us to see where privacy is a concern, apps that are leaking privacy. Having an idea as to how these apps are being protected offers some level of security to the device and back into our corporate network."
  • "We don't have Google MDM being supported by the solution as of yet. It is a feature requirement... They are aware that it is something that I need. My objective is to be able to have the MDM integration and to have some level of control over the asset itself."

What is our primary use case?

One reason we use it is that we didn't really have any control on the mobile side. We do have Google MDM, but we didn't have a solution like the one Check Point offers to protect mobile devices. Even with Google MDM, there is not much we can do without having something that can enforce security on the endpoint. So there was a gap and that security gap was our main use case.

How has it helped my organization?

The mobile space was pretty new to us. We had no control over it. Given the COVID situation and worked-from-home, we immediately embarked on this project to roll out this initiative. It was part of our strategic decision because when the government implemented work-from-home, only essential staff were supposed to come to work. We had to report every stage at which we reduced the number of staff on premises, because we're state-owned and our CEO reports to the minister. The solution improved things significantly in that context. We were able to give a proper accounting of our security assets and not have that gap where mobile devices are concerned. And we're able to offer a lot more security.

A lot of the users are using banking apps and didn't really have any assurance that they were protected. Also, with the pandemic there were a lot more cyber security attacks. We were sending out updates on what was happening, as part of our security awareness. It helped build some confidence within the staff in terms of what we were doing for our security campaign. Overall, it helped us account for all assets and protect them properly.

What is most valuable?

We like the URL content filtering, that is one of the most valuable features.

It also enables us to see where privacy is a concern, apps that are leaking privacy. Having an idea of how these apps are being protected offers some level of security to the device and back into our corporate network.

The protection provided by the solution for all three threat vectors, application, network, and device, is pretty okay the way they're doing it. Their solution does not work the traditional way that endpoints used to be protected using local resources, when it's doing its scan. Sandblast is comparing the app to the app store and that is a very good feature. It's not resource-intensive. In terms of the networking, it does a pretty okay job. From the device side, we're able to see that backend information, including the app information, into the portal itself.

It's also very easy to deploy and easy to manage.

When it comes to applications and network specifically, the solution's comprehensiveness and accuracy is pretty good. For applications, it has features pertaining to things like GDPR compliance. It is not leaking an end-user's personal information. There are some good features there. The only way we are able to see a user being identified is if there is a threat. Then that user comes up in that report, but that's only for those incidents. It's a very small minority. But it does a very good job in terms of breadth of protection.

The dashboard is pretty okay in terms of how you go in and you create your policies. And it comes with a very comprehensive policy. You have checkboxes or radio buttons to select the additional features. That's very intuitive. They just recently added some new features to their dashboard as well. It's pretty straightforward when it comes to where you:

• look for the threats, versus the administration aspect of it
  • how do you drill down, the analytics
  • if there are any events, how you go all the way down.

I find the dashboard is pretty intuitive and simple, compared to how Check Point has been deploying the SmartConsole.

And when it comes to blocking attempted attacks it's also pretty intuitive and simple. Suppose we see an app that has a particular threat. We're able to select and apply policies or rules on that particular app or device, and that can prevent the threat from propagating. We can quarantine it and address the issue. It's pretty simple in being able to manage threats, from a mobile perspective.

What needs improvement?

This is the first time we have ventured into protection of mobile devices. We have had many years where staff didn't have any restrictions on a mobile device. Since the migration from the BlackBerry Bell solution that we had back then, there has been a gap. Nobody was able to protect Android as well as iOS devices. And given that we were going into that space, we did not go in with the ability to do any serious lockdown or removal of apps. Mobile threat defense is not supported fully for Google MDM, so we're not using it within the Google MDM. It was supposed to be supported as of this month. We don't have Google MDM being supported by the solution as of yet.

It is a feature requirement, but they wrote me saying it was supposed to have been rolled out at the end of the second quarter of 2020, which would have been in the last month. We should have had something coming back from them so I wrote them last week, asking them where we are in terms of this roadmap. They are aware that it is something that I need.

Also, the one thing I don't see with it is that when I'm doing a scan on my network I'm not seeing my SSI ID showing up. I don't know if that means there's a bug or something we need to work out. But it's still giving me a good report in terms of the network scan and the device protection.

Another thing I would really like to see is a unified console where I don't have to use multiple devices or multiple consoles to manage my Check Point solutions. I am thinking of a unified console that could be linked back with some of the other solutions that we already have from Check Point, like CloudGuard. For all of the on-prem firewalls that we have, there would be one console, as opposed to these multiple consoles, and we would be able to link on-prem and cloud solutions to create that hybrid scenario. I haven't seen that feature yet.

I would also like to see support for other SIEM solutions such as Splunk.

We started with Check Point SandBlast Mobile just when the pandemic lockdown started here in Trinidad, which was in early March, so it's been about six months. During that period of time, when the pandemic kicked in, and remote work and work from home and BYOD were a big concern, that is when we migrated to the SandBlast Mobile platform.

We haven't had any challenges due to somebody complaining of the app crashing. I also have it on my phone and it hasn't crashed. I haven't had a challenge where it prevented me from doing anything. In fact, I was running SandBlast Mobile alongside ZoneAlarm, the free version. I had ZoneAlarm installed about six months prior to installing the SandBlast Mobile agent and both of them worked alongside each other. I never had a problem. I eventually removed the free version and I use the corporate solution.

We haven't really explored the MDM integration yet, nor the other use cases we can use it for. At this moment, we're just looking to protect the mobile handset. There's not much of a use case in terms of how we can scale it. We're still under our license limitation so we're pretty okay with it so far.

From the last report about number of users, we rolled out to about 300 endpoints and we still had about 90 handsets that had not accepted the install. We continue to add more every month to that list. The users include executives and senior managers from the various technology groups, as well as users outside of technology in finance, sales, and marketing. We have had staff from every one of those areas install the solution.

We're 2,400 staff in total and we have only purchased about 350 licenses. We plan to roll this out in phases to the other staff. The challenge that we're having internally is differentiating issued handsets. Initially, we were told to roll this out to everybody, but after some discussions we decided we didn't want to go that hard with the users. So the users that have it installed will run it for about a year and then we can then roll it out to the others. That way, the others will see that the users haven't really had any challenges or any concerns with privacy, or that it slowed down the phone in any way. So we do plan to extend SandBlast to the other staff that don't have it.

Also, being a telecom company, our GM for mobile has been looking at a business model where we would lease phones to our subscribers. In that scenario we would have the solution provisioned and the security installed, given that this is our handset and, at the end of the lease, we would want to recoup some level of monetary value from it. So we would protect it with the assurance that there would be no data privacy concerns. That is still in discussion.

I haven't had many issues where I have had to contact tech support. I have a very good relationship with the territory manager, and I have met and have a very good relationship with the security engineer assigned to this region.

The tech support and help that I have gotten so far is pretty good. I haven't had any challenges.

We had the BlackBerry Bell solution, but nothing to protect Android and iOS. We had purchased AirWatch from VMware, but AirWatch is not the same as a Check Point's mobile threat defense solution. AirWatch was more of an MDM.

We were kind of forced into the solution with the pandemic scenario. We were in the process of writing a few position papers; there were a few reports that the government had requested from the CEO. So we got a little bit of pressure when COVID kicked in. We had to rush. We were very happy when Check Point reached out to us and said, "You can use our ZoneAlarm free for 90 days and you can deploy it to your customers, your subscribers, and to your family members, during this period of time," owing to the relationship that we had. When we got that, the CTO said, "Well, let's just invest in the Sandblast solution." That's how we ended up transitioning into this and deploying it.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. There were a couple of ways to handle the roll-out. We could send an email with a barcode for the users to install it and there was also an option to send an SMS. They could then install it and it was pretty straightforward.

Prior to that, we sent out a communication explaining that this was what we were embarking on, that it was an executive security initiative. We still had a few calls from users because it was a new area and people were very concerned. We had to keep reassuring the users that we were not spying on them, that we were just protecting the company assets. We explained that it was no different from a laptop or a workstation that the company issued. We had to continually reassure them that it wasn't an issue of privacy. In fact, we told the employees that apps were leaking privacy information and this would turn that off and prevent it from happening.

Initially, there were a lot of concerns about privacy with users saying, "This thing is going to spy on us." But we did not roll it out to every employee's handset. We rolled it out to the company-issued handsets. We took that approach and, at a later date, based on how we run this solution and how we get it to "soak in," we'll move to the other area. But there were a lot of concerns.

We didn't find any complexity around the installation of the solution on end-user mobile devices. Without the MDM integration, we were not able to force the install and the user still had the option not to install, and if it was installed they still had the option to remove it. But it was straightforward. There weren't any complexities.

Our deployment took about a month or a month-and-a-half. The problem we had wasn't with the roll-out, rather it was about our being able to separate company-issued handsets from the list. We went to the team that issues the handsets and they did not have accurate lists. The audit they had done was a month or two prior so we only had accuracy in the list up to a month or two before. The challenge wasn't about the solution itself.

We didn't use any third-party. We had a demo and we were shown how straightforward it was. It started off from that demo and moved straight into production. They gave us use of it for a period of time. We looked at it, played around with it, and that eventually became our production environment. It wasn't a scenario where we had to engage Professional Services.

Initially, there were about five people from our side involved in the deployment, but it ended up coming down to two to three people.

For maintenance of the solution I have three people who are all IT security specialists.

We have not yet seen any ROI because we still have a number of devices where it has not been installed. We haven't yet seen the big benefits of it.

We got a pretty good deal and the price is pretty decent compared to some of the other solutions.

Check Point has always been a little high on price. People will need to have a good relationship with their territory manager or their account manager and will need to negotiate a better price.

Compared to some of its competitors who are very good in marketing, Check Point has been very lacking. Their price sometimes tends to be notably higher than its competitors, but the quality of the solution is the difference. However, people mostly go after the marketing. They see that side of it.

For this solution there is just the support. There were no other costs added on to it. It is a straightforward license: unit price by X number of units and the support that goes along with it. There wasn't any other cost for us.

We haven't really looked at any competitors. This type of solution was not something we were planning on doing within this financial year. SandBlast Mobile was not something that was on our radar. Owing to the scenario we were in with the COVID pandemic, the issue was how fast we could react to get to the solution onboard and how little paperwork would be involved. Given that we're a state-owned company, we have to comply with a lot of procurement policies and guidelines. If we don't have a vendor operating onsite, we are not able to leverage any solution from that vendor.

Check Point was already operating onsite; we had other solutions in use from them. Given that they offered a solution to us and had a relationship with our executives, that was what enabled us to fast-track things.

If we were to evaluate other products we would not have been able to roll this out in time. It would have had to go to an RFP, an evaluation process, and a purchase order. It would have been a good six- to nine-month process.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the opportunity, explore competitors to see how their products work. Also, negotiate your price with Check Point as much as possible.

The things that stand out from my experience are the ease of the deployment and the education of the end-user regarding data privacy and those types of things.

We haven't had many cases of false positives. One that we saw was in the following scenario. Let's say we had an app that came up as a threat and we applied particular rules to quarantine it. After we applied the rules, it showed up on the handset as if the app no longer existed, whereas Sandblast was saying that it wasn't removing the app. It turns out it really wasn't removing it. It just removed the app from reporting within the rule itself. That was a little bit of a challenge in wrapping our heads around it. We worked with Check Point to iron out that issue. So that was a kind of false positive.

We had to do it a few times in order to understand that the app was not being removed. The solution claimed to be GDPR compliant and that it was not removing any information or apps from the end-user's handset. We had to check to make sure those features were in place.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
CS
Systems Administrator at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Provides in-depth, good protection for all three threat vectors: application, network, and device

• "It monitors all the URLs that a user goes to on their phone and so we can see what they're looking at and we can limit that. Certain topics are not allowed to be accessed. They're monitoring their apps and they rate them based upon how big of a security risk that individual app is based on their ratings. And so we're able to limit those as well and allow people to have some that may be a low risk, but still a risk, but we may allow that for our users whereas we block medium and high risk."
  • "Integration needs improvement. We use Check Point for email. We use Check Point Capsule Workspace and I wish that it tied into that better and was integrated with their email application so that when it's secure, then they're able to access their email and it could be deployed as one group instead of two separate applications. It's a little bit more work for us to deploy both of those so it'd be nice if they could be integrated."

What is our primary use case?

We use SandBlast Mobile to secure our BYOD devices for employees that want to have access to corporate information, as we require them to have SandBlast in order to do that. It is always monitoring their text messages for malicious stuff or their apps, to see if there's anything malicious, and then we receive the logging and alerts so we are able to react and take care of our users' security.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know if it improved any functions for us besides just securing devices. Previously, we had nothing securing our mobile devices and we just trusted the users to be smart on their phones, and now we have that solution so it's able to help protect those phones and let us know if their software's really out of date and information like that.

It has stopped about five phishing attacks on mobiles in the last month.

What is most valuable?

I would say the most valuable aspect is just the offering itself. We don't have a lot of offerings out there in the mobile world right now to put on cell phones and they filled that gap. Having a really good security control on a mobile device is its greatest asset.

The protection provided by this solution for all three threat vectors, application, network, and device is really good. It's in-depth on all accounts.

It monitors all the URLs that a user goes to on their phone so we can see what they're looking at and we can limit it. Certain topics are not allowed to be accessed. They're monitoring their apps and they rate them based upon how big of a security risk that individual app is based on their ratings. And so we're able to limit apps as well and allow people to have some that may be a low risk, but still a risk, but we may allow that for our users whereas we block medium and high risk.

The device itself checks to see if the device is jailbroken yet and so that's a good security control they have. It also watches your SMS text messages for phishing so that's another way it's securing the device.

The detection and prevention mechanisms seem very accurate. I remember about a year and a half ago, there was an app that had been found to be malicious, it instantly switched its rating, and was reacting to that change in the vulnerability of that app rather swiftly so it seems to be very accurate and in-depth.

It's super comprehensive. The networking part watches all of its networking and it does a man in the middle attack to be able to see that, but it is extremely comprehensive in being able to see everything that the phone is doing network-wise.

It has a pretty good dashboard. You can maneuver around it quickly and be able to see what you want to see and get to the information you need.

The ease of use is good. It does allow you to send email alerts and I get email alerts when something's going on so I don't have to be watching it all the time and then I'm able to go and work with that user to resolve it. It seems to be a pretty well-built tool.

I haven't seen many false positives, they've all seemed to be pretty accurate.

What needs improvement?

Integration needs improvement. We use Check Point for email. We use Check Point Capsule Workspace and I wish that it tied into that better and was integrated with their email application so that when it's secure, then they're able to access their email and it could be deployed as one group instead of two separate applications. It's a little bit more work for us to deploy both of those so it'd be nice if they could be integrated.

With that, I think that having the functionality of being able to test the URL would be an improvement. For example, if you had an email with a URL address in it, you can copy and paste it in there and it can test it and tell you if it's a safe site or something like that.

I've been using Check Point SandBlast Mobile for three years.

We are using the cloud for its management. It's hosted by Check Point.

It seems to be very stable, I haven't seen any outages in it.

Being hosted by Check Point, scalability hasn't really been a big concern. It seems to be handling all the devices we've added. We have a very small company so I don't know as far as how it would fit a huge company, but for us, it's been great.

There are fifty users in my company.

I have not used their technical support for this solution.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. Setting up individual networking is a little bit more complex besides depending on how granular your organization uses it, but for us, it was pretty straightforward.

The installation of the solution on end-user mobile devices was not complex. It's straightforward. It's very simple. Our end-users are able to install it themselves, we don't have to really be involved in that process so they're able to do it without help from IT for the most part. That is super helpful to not have to handhold as an IT team all of our users, they can just do it and it works.

There is no enforcement mechanism that depends on the user if they installed it or not. We don't enforce it in that way, but we do enforce it based upon if they want to have email access. We require them to have it so we validate that it's installed before we install email, but we don't enforce it.

There was definitely concern from end-users about their privacy. Especially with the networking part, the way that it's able to see everywhere they go is a big security and privacy issue. We addressed it by not requiring all our users to have it, but if they want to email, they have to have it and so that's how we ended up getting around it. We had people that ended up using a company phone and a personal phone separately because of it.

The deployment is still in process actually, but that's mostly on our end, not really Check Point's end. We don't have all the policies in place to have that process set forth of how we're doing it so we're still kind of working on that.

In terms of our implementation strategy, as of right now, we have emails set up on people's devices using a different application. That application is no longer working and so as users want email, we implement it, but we aren't pushing users to have email on their phone. And I think in the future that's going to be the case, but right now it's not because we don't have company policies in place for that.

I'm responsible for the deployment and maintenance and I'm a system administrator.

Our ROI has been great. It really didn't come at a cost for us because we already had the Infinity in place so, at no cost, we had extra security benefits added and visibility into our users' devices that we didn't have before.

As we didn't really compare it with competitors, we bought it as part of our Infinity and so it was included with our other network security. It was basically no cost to us because we were already planning on using the other features of it. It was just an added part of that contract, but I don't have much input beyond that. We didn't compare to anyone else or anything like that.

What other advice do I have?

Having Check Point, at least for us, they implemented two different hosted platforms so that we could have different policies for different users, and that was really helpful to us because we did have privacy concerns from a lot of users. We were able to lock down the network on some devices and other devices we didn't monitor the network.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It's really in-depth for what it does.

Learn what your peers think about Check Point Harmony Mobile. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Basil Dange
Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Secures and segments corporate and personal data, offers remote secure-wipe capabilities, but the reporting is complicated

• "Internal applications, data, and folders are published on enrolled mobile devices in a secure way without publishing any of the resources over the internet."
  • "The product does not provide deep capabilities for sharing specific data to users or groups separately, nor does it provide visibility as to whether a user has access to the data or not."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to enable access to any corporate application hosted on-premises or in the cloud using a mobile device with single sign-on (SSO) capabilities.

It provides IT admins capabilities for granting access to corporate applications or data on mobile devices and should be able to securely monitor and manage the mobile devices that access sensitive business data. It includes storing essential information about mobile devices, deciding which apps can be present on the devices, and locating devices.

This product should be able to remove corporate applications and data on enrolled devices remotely, known as an enterprise wipe, in case a device is stolen, lost, or if the user leaves the organization.

Corporate data should be securely stored on mobile devices and the user should not be able to share data from corporate apps/data to personal storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Internal applications, data, and folders are published on enrolled mobile devices in a secure way without publishing any of the resources over the internet.

A separate workspace is created on the enrolled mobile, which partitions corporate data from personal data. Policies can restrict users from copying any app/data from corporate to personal storage and vise versa.

Users are able to login to corporate applications using single sign-on.

DLP policy prevents data leakage issues, which cannot be prevented if applications are published directly without any MDM solution.

Enterprise wipe gives us the capability to remove applications and data from enrolled devices remotely in cases where one is lost, stolen, or for any other reason.

Organizations can prevent device enrollment in cases where a device is rooted/jailbroken.

What is most valuable?

Enrollment is based on the user name and the admin needs to create an enrollment policy. The enrollment email goes to users who are entitled to enrollment via Capsule. Each user needs to manually click and add the Token, which is sent via email and used for providing and restricting access.

Licenses are taken from Check Point for the number of users who need to be enrolled via Capsule.

No additional hardware or setup is required for Capsule configuration, as it can be enabled on the same security gateway. This reduces any additional hardware cost, as well as for setup and connectivity.

Configuration is straightforward and can be controlled on the same NGFW as Capsule. This is used for providing access to users.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is quite complicated once more users are enrolled and they need disparate access. It needs to be maintained separately, which adds work for the admin and can lead to errors.

Enrollment emails are sent for each device, which means that when a user needs to change devices or enroll more than one, admins need to generate and send additional tokens.

The product does not provide deep capabilities for sharing specific data to users or groups separately, nor does it provide visibility as to whether a user has access to the data or not.

For example:

• HR sharing certain learning videos or documents to a group of users. The solution does not provide reports as to whether these have been accessed by the user or not.
  • It does not provide a solution in the case where a device is being shared by multiple users
  • A site where one iPad is being shared between five users is a problem. Each user has their own access to the device but this solution does not have the capabilities of providing each user with specific access to data or applications.

We are not using Check Point Harmony Mobile for now.

This product is stable, just like any other Check Point solution.

It can be scaled by adding more security gateways and enabling the license. It is done in the same manner as a Check Point firewall.

The technical support is excellent.

We used this solution and then moved to a different one.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The process involves getting a license from Check Point and enabling a module/blade on the security gateway. After this, start on the configuration (Published data, which needs to be made available on the endpoint to access).

Our in-house team completed the deployment with OEM support.

Using this firewall improves productivity and availability for enrolled endpoints. Published data can be accessed anytime on a mobile device.

Check Point provides a separate license in cases where organizations want to use this only on mobile devices, or laptops/desktops. Check Point Total includes both mobile devices and endpoints.

Setup can be done on the existing security gateway or it can be done on a dedicated security gateway where there are a large number of users.

Checkpoint provides five user licenses by default.

What other advice do I have?

The organization should be clear on the requirements. If it is only for publishing a few web apps, URLs, email, or for a few shared drives, then the solution works absolutely fine. However, it is not a full-fledged MDM solution like VMware AirWatch/Citrix/Blackberry and more.

These solutions all provide more MDM capabilities than Capsule.

GS
Manager, Infrastructure Services at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Straightforward to setup with great technical support and an excellent admin portal

• "The easy navigation of the admin portal is a welcome change to how some other admin portals are not very user-friendly."
  • "The admin portal is slightly clunky and sometimes shows a different status than what the device is actually doing."

What is our primary use case?

We were lacking threat detection and device-level protection in our mobile device space.  We are an Apple shop exclusively and although Apple does a good job at vetting apps and developers in the Apple App Store, we were lacking protection beyond that. The Harmony Mobile Protect suite really gave us the confidence of protection and real-time threat level safeguards. Users have the confidence to know that the data on their devices is safe. It's a great solution that has a proven track record in the mobile space.

How has it helped my organization?

Harmony Mobile Protect has improved the confidence of the users in knowing their mobile device and data is protected. It is shocking to see how many sites, apps, and links to content were vulnerable to threats and security gaps. Users found themselves going to what they thought were innocent sites and in-app purchases that led them to a vulnerability.  To be fair, some legitimate apps, links, and content were flagged and all we needed to do is make adjustments to the white lists and users were able to access that data with no issue.

What is most valuable?

The app just runs in the background and keeps the device safe. The real-time scan is awesome and really delivers that value-add component to threat defense and a holistic approach to mobile device protection. The easy navigation of the admin portal is a welcome change to how some other admin portals are not very user-friendly. Tracking users, seeing devices and their current state at a glance is very helpful. Reporting is also a great value add to this product. Seeing the areas of concern and making adjustments to tighten the gaps is very helpful and a value add.

What needs improvement?

The admin portal is slightly clunky and sometimes shows a different status than what the device is actually doing. A simple refresh of that device corrects the issue and displays real-time data. Overall, it works well and the improvements so far for this product have been great. Allowing the user to control the real-time scan is important. In recent updates of the app version, this can be achieved easily, but the user doesn't always see that. Perhaps making a separate button or leveraging the menu ribbon for this feature may work better.

I've worked with the solution for 3 months now.

After the initial setup, of course there was some tweaking, but the platform It' very solid. We have had no issues thus far with the stability.  There have been a few updates that were low to no impact.  More enhancement based updates.

So far, we have found it to be very scalable. That was the main selling point for us on this product.

We did have some issues come up and required technical support. The support team was awesome and really knew how to address the issues we were having. The problems were fixed and we were back on the road in no time.

We did not. This is our first product for mobile device threat protection and real-time scanning.

It was pretty straightforward. We had a solutions engineer walk us through things and helped us tie into our MDM, which went well.

We implemented through Check Point directly for the POC and then continued with licenses. The setup with Check Point went great and we were very happy to have that level of expertise on hand. Their solutions engineers are top-notch and we were very pleased.

We are new to using this product, so we have not been able to capture the ROI as of yet.

We had a very positive experience with this. The cost is the amount of devices times the number of licensing and the setup fees. We were up and running quickly. I do highly recommend leveraging a demo of this product. It really shows the depth of the product and the value-add to the customer.

No, we have a vested interest with Check Point Mobile and we looked at their product line first, and was sold.

What other advice do I have?

Harmony Protect is a great solution and really stands up to threat protection and device defense.

Private Cloud
Javier Garcia Martinez
Head of Special Projects Unit-RCJA (SANDETEL) at Junta de Andalucia
User
Easy to implement, simple to maintain policies, and does not disrupt end-user functionality

• "It has been very easy to implement and deploy."
  • "It could expand the functionalities to, in addition to security functionality, incorporate Mobile Device Management (MDM) functionalities such as remote device management, administration of installed applications, etc."

What is our primary use case?

The goal is to implement Harmony Mobile in the entire fleet of devices of the Government of the Junta de Andalucia. We are talking about a total of about 60,000 terminals. A pilot of the solution has started and it will be implemented in all the terminals that are renewed in the corporate network. These devices correspond to different user profiles and include different browsing patterns and profiles and threat exposure from terminals for M2M communication to advanced user terminals with large traffic quotas.

How has it helped my organization?

In the first place, the Harmony Mobile solution (or also known as Sandblast Mobile) has allowed us to minimize and speed up the software deployment tasks, which is the plan for 60,000 potential terminals and it is already a very important first advantage. The main advantage of the solution is the implementation of complete security policies for the terminals that address how more apps are installed on corporate devices. It is essential to be absolutely certain that these apps and the navigation of these terminals do not cause any risk to the corporate network. Harmony Mobile guarantees this protection.

What is most valuable?

It has been very easy to implement and deploy. It's possible to scale the installation based on the policies defined for each profile. It's my understanding that maintaining these policies and updating them will be a fairly easy task through the options provided by the platform. I am convinced that it is an advantage that the network administrators and security officers of the companies will gladly accept. On the other hand, it is also very important to note that the end-user has not perceived any inconvenience in the application of this solution to their terminals: it is completely transparent and has not caused any rejection among users who already have it implemented.

What needs improvement?

It could expand the functionalities to, in addition to security functionality, incorporate Mobile Device Management (MDM) functionalities such as remote device management, administration of installed applications, etc. In a wide network like ours, it would be a very desirable feature, since, in the same product, we would have all the device management and security capabilities we need. Another capacity that I would add to the product would be greater performance optimization options for older terminals. Our fleet is very varied and some devices are up to 5 years old.

Our solution has been in place for 3 years.

The current version we are working with (Version 3.7) is very stable. It's a stable solution because it keeps corporate data safe by protecting mobile devices across all attack vectors— apps, network, and operating system —without impacting user experience or privacy.

The solution is easily scalable because integration with the MDM is allowed.

Access to technical support for users is always done through the vendor. However, we perceive that the technical and human team behind Check Point is exceptional.

No, previously we have not had any solution that implements security in the mobile terminals of the corporate network.

The initial start-up was fairly straightforward thanks to the specialist support of the vendor. No major incidents were detected.

The implementation was through a vendor. The team in charge had a high level of experience and their tasks were carried out with a high degree of professionalism.

Our business model does not focus on measuring these types of parameters. The adoption of this type of solution is motivated by other factors, especially in the reduction of security incidents and related incidents in mobile services and corporate networks.

In our case, the cost is indirect and is directly passed on by the mobile services operator to the mobile voice services/terminals of the corporate network. We do not have data on the detailed cost of the service.

What other advice do I have?

As it is deployed in a greater number of devices and the maintenance and management tasks associated with the solution escalate, we will be able to make a future updated review.

Other
KC
IT Security Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good application scanning that it stable and has helpful technical support

• "I really like the application scanning portion where it scans your current applications and any new applications that you add to the device to let you know if it is malicious."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see a Wi-Fi scanner to be able to identify whether a wireless network is malicious before you join it."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for mobile threat prevention. We integrate it with an MDM and push it to our managed devices to protect the company's phone.

How has it helped my organization?

It prevents you from visiting phishing sites. It will scan the URL and let you know whether or not it's a malicious location or not.

It helps to reduce the person from just clicking away.

Users always feel disconnected from the network when they are using their mobile phone and we felt the need to be protected, just as much as our laptops. Sometimes you can click on something without realizing it. Having that extra added layer of security and support helps to keep the person safe from malicious actors.

We were looking for a solution with application scanning, phishing detection, and has the ability to whitelist and blacklist websites or a URL.

What is most valuable?

It does an active scan of all applications.

Time and time again, you read that applications have been removed from the Play Store because they are from a malicious vendor or they have been compromised. Having an extra layer of security where it scans to ensure that your device has a more secure and stable version of the application is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see a Wi-Fi scanner to be able to identify whether a wireless network is malicious before you join it. That would be very valuable.

I have been using this product for more than two years.

It's a stable solution and I don't recall any outages or access issues. The uptime is high.

Currently, we have not exhausted our license, and haven't had the need to scale it up or down.

We have approximately 800 users who range from customer service to the CEO. Once you have a mobile device, it will be managed.

I am a security analyst and my manager and I are the only two interacting with the solution. We reach out to Check Point for any maintenance that is needed.

Technical support was very helpful and not difficult to connect with them. As soon as we sent them the email, there we always ready and available to arrange a meeting to get things done.

The process is the same before and after deployment. Just sent an email with the issues and they will contact to arrange a meeting to resolve the issue.

I would say that they are very helpful and always just an email away.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's an easy setup with just a flip of a switch.

We were set up and ready to go very quickly. Because it's a cloud offering and hosted online, it's made to be much quicker.

The deployment was less than a week. We installed it manually on the devices then integrated with an MDM that automates the process for all manual devices.

We had support from Check Point to assist us and they were very helpful.

The fact that we have not had any mobile breaches is a return on investment.

Check Point pricing is better than Symantec.

We also evaluated Symantec Endpoint protection Mobile.

Symantec does not do everything that Check Point does and furthermore, Check Point pricing is better. Budgetary-wise, it was the right choice for us.

What other advice do I have?

This solution checks so many of our boxes already, anything new added would just be the icing on the cake.

My advice would be to do your homework. Ensure that this is the right product for you. Request a demo and test it out.

Don't purchase more licenses than you need because it will become costly.

Before this, I didn't realize that there were so many malicious applications out there in the world. So, it was a bit eye-opening to see some of what your phone can access without you even realizing what you were clicking.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Oleg Pekar
Senior Network/Security Engineer at Skywind Group
Multi-platform support, easy to use, and the VPN portal does not require a client to be installed

• "The most impressive thing is the SSL VPN Portal."
  • "I think that the pricing for the Check Point products should be reconsidered, as we found it to be quite expensive to purchase and to maintain."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works in the area of developing and delivering online gambling platforms. The Check Point Next-Generation Firewalls are the core security solution we use for the protection of our DataCenter environment, located in Asia (Taiwan).

The environment has about 50 physical servers as virtualization hosts, and we have two HA Clusters that consist of 2x5400 hardware appliances, managed by an OpenServer Security Management Server on a Virtual Machine (KVM), all running on R80.10 with the latest JumboHotfix.

The Check Point Mobile Access software blade is one of the numerous blades activated on the NGFWs and serves for providing connectivity to the datacenter for the employees.

How has it helped my organization?

The Check Point Mobile Access is activated on the Check Point HA Clusters and protects our datacenter located in Taiwan. It is used to provide connectivity to the internal resource for our employees, thus Remote Access VPN services.

The blade is easy to enable and configure, and it provides great benefits with the help of the built-in SSL VPN Portal. Now, most of our employees don't even use any client software, but just the browsers on their devices, to access the applications published via the SSL VPN Portal.

The connection is stable and reliable, and the level of security and encryption is still high. We find this solution really useful and helpful.

What is most valuable?

The users in our company like that the VPN client is supported on the different platforms and operational systems, e.g. Android smartphones and tablets, Windows and MacOS PCs and laptops.

The most impressive thing is the SSL VPN Portal. With it, you don't even need any client software, just a browser is enough to connect. We have integrated the SSL VPN Portal with the Microsoft Exchange server, and this covers the needs of 95% of our users regarding remote access to the office.

The authentication is performed via integration with Active Directory, so the employees use the same credentials. It is super easy and everybody likes that.

What needs improvement?

I think that the pricing for the Check Point products should be reconsidered, as we found it to be quite expensive to purchase and to maintain. Maintenance requires that the licenses and the support services be prolonged regularly.

Alternatively, they should create some additional bundles of the software blades with significant discounts in addition to the current Next Generation Threat Prevention & SandBlast (NGTX) and Next Generation Threat Prevention (NGTP) offers.

We have also had several support cases opened for software issues, but none of them were connected with Check Point Mobile Access.

We have been using this product for about three years, starting in late 2017.

The Check Point Mobile Access software blade is stable.

The Check Point Mobile Access software blade scales well with the gateways we use, since it doesn't affect the overall performance much after activation.

We have had several support cases opened, but none of them were connected with the Check Point Mobile Access Software Blade. Some of the issues were resolved by installing the latest recommended JumoHotfix, whereas some required additional configuration at the OS kernel level.

The longest issue took about one month to be resolved, which we consider too long.

No, we didn't use any SSL VPN solutions before onboarding Check Point Mobile Access.

The setup was straightforward. The configuration was easy and understandable, and we relied heavily on built-in objects and groups.

Our deployment was completed by our in-house team. We have a Check Point Certified engineer working in the engineering team.

No, we decided to stick to the Check Point Mobile Access after the demo with the vendor.

Hans Van Oorschot
Engineer at Caldoo
Good integration, great scalability, and helpful technical support

• "We've found that the product is quite stable."
  • "From a user's perspective, of course, it is always better when it is cheaper in price."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for mobile threat defense. We protect our mobile devices with it, due to the fact that SandBlast Mobile detects phishing, malware, et cetera, and all mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

What I like is that the user experience of your mobile device is not compromised by SandBlast Mobile. The end-user doesn't see anything like an extra app on your device. The app is working in the background, scanning for all kinds of cyberattacks, and seeking out phishing, malware, bots, et cetera.

Once something is detected, the end-user gets an alert, and can immediately command an action. When they go to open, let's say, a phishing e-mail, they get an alert that says something to the effect of "Beware, this is a phishing mail. Don't open it." The user has the possibility then to open it, however, it would be quite foolish to do so when they are told not to do it. The app gives you very good warnings in terms of malicious attacks.

There is good integration with mobile device management systems.

There is a potential for reporting if you need it.

The solution scales very well.

We've found that the product is quite stable.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

From my perspective, it's a very good product. I can't recall a moment where I thought a feature was missing.

It would be ideal if, one day, this product was bundled into a larger offering so that it's not just a standalone product.

I've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's not so long.

The stability is okay. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

In terms of scalability, you can use it very well within an organization. YOu can use it with five devices or a hundred thousand devices. Worldwide, it's used by millions of devices. The scalability potential, therefore, is huge. It's no problem at all if an organization needs to scale it.

Technical support is very good. They are very quick as well. It's fairly easy to talk with them when needed, however, truthfully, you don't need regularly. It works very well as a product. You rarely need to deal with technical support.

From a user's perspective, of course, it is always better when it is cheaper in price. That said, it is a fair price. it's not overly expensive. We find it very reasonable. After all, when you get hit with ransomware or some other malicious program, it can be extremely expensive and comes at a great cost to the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're both a reseller as well as an end-user of the solution. We're partners with Check Point.

The product is in the SaaS environment.

I'd recommend the solution. With cybersecurity on the rise due to COVID, and people working on devices from home, off secure networks, it's important to protect your devices, now more than ever. I'd advise that organizations look at this solution and consider implementing it.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

However, if this solution is right for a company depends on the environment. The capability of the standalone product is very good.

When there's a supplier who buys Check Point SandBlast Mobile and incorporates it into their larger solution, I will give it a ten out of ten. Then you have a solution that really fits not only your mobile devices but also the security part of your organization. While, right now, it's a great standalone product, there's a lot of possibilities for it when it integrates with a larger security offering.