Mitchell Mugerwa
Procurement Supervisor at Centenary Bank
Support is okay, but is inequitable with the price

• "The pricing is okay."
  • "While the solution is good, we wish to have something that is a bit better, as the threats have evolved over time."

What needs improvement?

While the solution is good, we wish to have something that is a bit better, as the threats have evolved over time. We have been using Check Point for more than than eight years and are interested in a better solution. We entered a review site which ranks top security firewalls and saw that Palo Alto is ranked number one, followed by Fortinet, with Check Point in the lead. We noticed that Palo Alto was much more expensive than Fortinet, but wished to know which key features differentiated the two.

Though we did not take issue with the price of Check Point NGFW, we felt that it was providing us with inadequate support here in Uganda. This is why we decided to switch solutions. I should note that I do not have a technical background and am responsible for procurement.

The value we were getting for our money was an issue. I work for a bank for which security is very important, but we were not being assured of the appropriate support. The licensing fees we were paying did not equate with adequate local support. We had already had a bad experience with Check Point, so we did not bother with a quote from it and, instead, got one from several local companies that can support either Palo Alto or Fortinet.

We do not feel that the local support given in Uganda is equitable with the pricing.

While the pricing is okay, the local Ugandan support one gets is not commensurate with it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Check Point NGFW as a six out of ten.

SV
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reporting need improvement and the stability is poor, but we have no complaints about the web-filtering capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web filtering and threat analysis.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved. I still don't have access to the reporting service.

I have been using Check Point NGFW for three years. I am not sure which version is being used at this time. If we are not using the latest version, we are using the version before that.

We have recently had some issues with the stability of this solution. It is not stable. We had an issue when we made some improvements to our power supply and the Check Point stopped working and needed to be recovered. There were many errors in the file system and it could not start. It blocked the work…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web filtering and threat analysis.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Check Point NGFW for three years.

We had an issue when we made some improvements to our power supply and the Check Point stopped working and needed to be recovered. There were many errors in the file system and it could not start. It blocked the work for the entire factory. We lost three days where we could not work.

That was the final straw for us and why we are moving to FortiGate.

Our company is outsourcing the support.

We are also using Fortinet FortiGate 600 and 200. We have also just ordered Palo Alto.

We pay the licensing fees on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We are one of the largest manufacturers of steel in Europe.

I would not recommend this solution to others. I am very disappointed.

I would rate Check Point NGFW a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Check Point NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DF
Executive at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Stable with good identity awareness and intrusion prevention

• "We have found the solution to be scalable."
  • "The complexity could be fixed. It's a bit complex to set up, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the solution's identity awareness and intrusion prevention.

The solution is very stable.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The complexity could be fixed. It's a bit complex to set up, for example. They could make it a streamlined and easier process.

In a future release, it would be nice if they added web administration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for about 20 years. It's been two decades at this point. I've used it for quite a while.

The stability of the solution has been excellent so far. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's not hard.

We have found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of support we get from them.

The initial setup is not easy. It's a bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

I'd recommend this solution to other users and companies. We've been happy with its capabilities.

I'd give the solution a rating of nine out of ten.

Oren Dror
Security IT Manager at IFAT Group
Great security, a good user interface, and offers good features

• "The level of security is excellent. It protects our organization well."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good.

The level of security is excellent. It protects our organization well.

It's a good overall product and we have a high level of satisfaction with the features on offer.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved. It's hit or miss in terms of the level of service and getting the answers you need.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

We have hundreds of users that use the solution currently within our company.

We aren't 100% satisfied with technical support. Sometimes you get the help you need and sometimes you don't. Sometimes it's absolutely amazing. Sometimes they're great. However, you can't rely on them being like that all the time. We'd like the service level to be more reliable.

I can't speak to the installation process, as it was handled by an outside firm.

We had an integrator that assisted us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations especially if the company is looking for a certain level of security.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

BG
IT Operation Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good management functionality using a single pane of glass

• "The scalability is very good."
  • "The user interface for management could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for routing and the protection of our internal corporate network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the management using the Single Pane of Glass.

What needs improvement?

The user interface for management could be improved.

In the future, I would like to see support for SD-WAN capabilities.

I have been working with the Check Point Next-Generation firewall for four years.

I would like to see better stability in newly-released versions.

The scalability is very good.

Dealing with the support team in Israel can be a struggle because of the difference in working hours, holidays, and priorities.

I would with firewall solutions from several vendors including Palo Alto, Fortinet, and Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that they have good support from local experts. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this product has to do with the capabilities of the smallest models. Care should be taken to select the appropriate one for your environment.

ogzbatilay
Network Administrator at Türkiye İş Bankası
Easy to use, configure, and manage and offers good security
I have been working with Check Point for almost three years in my career and 8+ years on my company. We are using Check Point as a perimeter firewall in our data center and we are using all NGFW specs on our firewalls like IPS, identity awareness, Anti-Bot, application firewall antivirus and SandBlast solutions in our environment. It is generally easy to configure and manage using SmartCenter. Also, SmartLog really helps troubleshoot any problems that we encounter. SandBlast Zero-Day security helps our organization become safer. SmartConsole is the best GUI when compared to other companies. It is very easy to use and it is much more secure when compared to a web GUI. SmartCenter and SmartLog are the best platforms to manage firewall rules. SandBlast Zero-Day is very useful when…

SmartCenter and SmartLog are the best platforms to manage firewall rules. SandBlast Zero-Day is very useful when encountering any security leaks.

Maestro looks very sophisticated and it is the most important feature. We have to see how it works and if it's stable or not.

Check Point needs to work on hardware problems also. There are some hardware problems on NIC cards and hard disks. Lately, we have encountered some problems with it. There needs to be an RMA on some devices. Also, management and data plane separation need to be done as soon as possible because if you encounter a problem with gateways, you can't reach the management which will create more problematic situations.

reviewer1489602
Network Security Assurance Specialist at Visa Inc.
Easy to configure, facilitates security compliance, and provides good visibility

• "I think the VSX has been the most valuable feature for us."
  • "Debugging could be improved when compared to the competition."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is Firewall provisioning and integration with Tufin and Skybox. Also, we focus on firewall compliance, rule review, VPN configuration, and network troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

Working for one of the largest companies, I found that using Check Point has made firewall provisioning very easy for us, and integration with the above-mentioned tools has eased the process of PCI audit, security compliance, and rule recertification.

What is most valuable?

I think the VSX has been the most valuable feature for us. We use it for tunnel management, which is great. The configuration has been quite straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Debugging could be improved when compared to the competition.

I think the product release lifecycle should be improved.

We have been using Check Point NGFW for almost eight years.

Previously, we used Cisco ASA. We switched because of the fact that Check Point offers more stability and visibility into the firewalls. Management is easier, especially using the GUI version.

I think that the pricing is different for every organization.

We did evaluate Juniper, as well.

MC
Executivo de Negócios de TiC at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Performs well and is easy to configure

• "My customers cite performance and ease of configuration as two of the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The price is middling. It's much more expensive than Fortinet, although not so expensive when compared with Palo Alto."

What is our primary use case?

I have certain customers who make use of the solution for providing security in respect of internet access. I am aware only of the solution acting as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price is middling. It's much more expensive than Fortinet, although not so expensive when compared with Palo Alto.

The solution is significantly more expensive than Fortinet, although this holds true to a lesser extent when compared with Palo Alto.

The solution is significantly more expensive than Fortinet, although this holds true to a lesser degree when compared with Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I do not have much familiarity with Check Point NGFW, although I do have several customers who make use of it. I can mainly comment based on what I have come across in user reviews in magazines.

I know the solution to be one of the top players in the world at the moment.

As Check Point NGFW does not compare favorably price-wise with Fortinet, I am inclined to deduct a point from its rating and rate it as a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Check Point NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.