Check Point NGFW OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Check Point NGFW is the #2 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Check Point NGFW vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Check Point NGFW?

Offered via the Check Point Infinity architecture, Check Point’s NGFW includes 23 Firewall models optimized for running all threat prevention technologies simultaneously, including full SSL traffic inspection, without compromising on security or performance. Learn More about Next Generation Firewall and What is Firewall?

Check Point NGFW is also known as Check Point NG Firewall, Check Point Next Generation Firewall.

Check Point NGFW Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point NGFW Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Check Point NGFW Customers

Control Southern, Optimal Media

Check Point NGFW Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JG
Network Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with good monitoring features

• "The solution is easy to use. I like the monitoring the most."
  • "All the advanced features of automation, especially the first installation of tunnels, need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I have a basic network firewall and not the advanced feature, full feature security system. I think they are the best. Still, for instance, when installing a tunnel in Check Point vs installing a tunnel in Cisco, the difference is that in Check Point nothing makes sense, and in Cisco you have the duration capability, the hierarchy of the configuration. I would rate this solution as 8 out of 10. Mostly because of configuration problems - problems with configuring VPNs, and panels, etc.
SA
Network Administrator at Nigerian Security Printing & Minting Plc
Provides detailed reports and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall device and for our VPN.

• "The initial setup was very straightforward. You can customize it and change it as you need."
  • "Although they have it now, we don't have a license for it, and I think mobile device security should be a standard feature. I cannot control someone bringing their device to my network and what they do."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to try Check Point. I would rate this solution 7.5 out of 10. I think they should make their licensing simpler.
Learn what your peers think about Check Point NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RA
Security Engineer at Tenece Professional Services
Reseller
Enables us to complete the network compliance rules and has a great GUI

What is our primary use case?

The management of our company requires a firewall implementation. We use Check Point to complete the network compliance rules.

• "We use Check Point to complete the network compliance rules."
  • "This product has room for improvement in technical support for Africa."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate this product a nine. Nobody's perfect.
BK
Supervisor of Network and Datacentre Operations at Manitoba eHealth
Consolidated many of our DMZ services into one appliance

What is our primary use case?

Perimeter and datacentre firewalls URL filtering Anti-bot Anti-malware Application awareness.

How has it helped my organization?

Consolidated many of our DMZ services into one appliance, and it's easy to add IPS functionality on firewalls.

What is most valuable?

All of the above mentioned.

What needs improvement?

Simplify licensing.

Three to five years.
DH
Senior Network Engineer at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Completely useless support, too many bugs, can't get anything to work, and too expensive for what you get

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to use it as a security gateway.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a three out of ten. The reason I give it a three and not zero is because the visibility and the interface are great. Other than that, they're too much of a headache. We've had painful experiences that we never want to go back to.
LuisDavila
Network and IT Security Admin at DP World Callao
The configuration is easier than other firewalls and we have good support

What is our primary use case?

Check Point is a very good solution. My primary use case is as a perimeter firewall. I never use Check Point's IPS. I always work with another IPS, in a different appliance. I always use the firewall modem as a firewall.

• "We never had an outage of the appliances or the consoles. Stability is very strong. I never had a problem related to stability."
  • "I would like for them to develop the ability to manage a cloud firewall with the same console. That would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight. It's a good solution. The management is easy. The console is very practical but in order to be a ten, it should be faster. I would advise someone considering this or a similar solution to prove the solution before choosing the final vendor. Prove that it will be very helpful for you.
JV
Engineer at CENACE
Efficient firewall protection

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as firewall protection.

• "It is easy to configure and it is a valuable antivirus protection. I especially like the IPS feature of this product."
  • "The presentation of the reports need to be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

After much evaluation, we have decided to change our firewall.
Sandun Fernando
Network Administrator at University of Kelaniya
Gives me peace of mind as we can now block BitTorrent and other high bandwidth downloads.

What is our primary use case?

We are a large University with more than 1000 employees across seven faculties and growing. Student population is more than 15,000 in-house and 30,000 external. The University of Kelaniya Sri Lanka primarily uses the Check Point 4800 device to protect users and servers. The product also enables the VPN with advanced security policies inside our network. This gives us a better security posture. Valuable features include a good VPN, IPsec, and SSL. We use Check Point 4800 as a perimeter firewall and our internet bandwidth expanded to 1Gbps.

• "The most valuable feature is the IPsec VPN."
  • "The Smart Dashboard and other user interfaces are very easy to use and can be handled without any significant IT skills."
  • "After introducing this NGFW, we have improved our security posture, and now, have peace of mind."
  • "Check Point Smart Dashboard does not support my Apple MacBook Air. It only supports Windows versions."

What other advice do I have?

We are in the higher education sector in Sri Lanka. We produce graduates to our country and other countries.
JA
Commercial Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Effective security and local support have been the key features for us

What is our primary use case?

It is our next-generation firewall and IPS.

• "We looked very closely at ArcSight's solution because it's a multi-vendor solution. With ArcSight we could have Check Point, we could have RSA, we could have any brand and integrate several brands, from a security point of view. With Check Point, you cannot do so, you can integrate with Check Point products."

What other advice do I have?

Some vendors offer a PoC. When you do a PoC you can more easily see which is the better solution. We would recommend requiring a PoC. I would rate Check Point an eight out of 10. They're not a 10 because of their pricing.
    AA
    Senior Network and Security Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
    Enables us to meet compliance requirements and maintains our security posture

What is our primary use case?

It's simply a firewall.

• "It filters unwanted traffic."
    • "There are some issues compared to other products. Ease of use is one."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework and make sure it fits. You have to know exactly what you want, what your requirements are. Make sure that whatever product you are actually going for meets your requirements, suits your infrastructure and how your IT operates. What I look at when selecting a vendor is how long the vendor has been around, the level of focus on technology, how good they are. And one of the most important things we do is check industry ratings. That's one of the first things we look at, to see which vendors to consider. I would rate Checkpoint eight out of 10. To get to a 10, there are some…
    JC
    System Administrator at a tech services company
    I faced stability issues, both reboots and tunnels needing to be bounced, frequently

What is our primary use case?

We leverage it as a next gen firewall, it does all of our IPS, URL filtering. We use it for our remote users, for VPN access. We use it to build VPN tunnels out to remote sites. It handles quite a bit.

• "Stability issues. I built out this firewall in a cluster, and I had stability issues day one. Needs to be rebooted frequently. Tunnels need to be bounced frequently. Their hardware compatibility guide, when I built out the servers to host them on, was not accurate."

What other advice do I have?

I would say avoid it. There are definitely better solutions out there. For the amount of headache that you get with this product, it's not like you're saving yourself any money. It's just as much, if not more, than other solutions. When it works, it works well. But, like I said, I've never really had a stretch of time where it just worked really well for everyone. It's been a constant pain point for our organization.
      Product Categories
      Firewalls
      Download our free Check Point NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.