Check Point Security Management Overview

Check Point Security Management is the #10 ranked solution in our list of Log Management Software. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiAnalyzer: Check Point Security Management vs Fortinet FortiAnalyzer

What is Check Point Security Management?

R80.30 Cyber Security Management features centralized management control across all networks and cloud environments, increasing operational efficiency and lowering the complexity of managing your security. Learn more about Security Management.

Check Point Security Management is also known as R80.10, R80, R77.30, R77, Check Point R80.10 Security Management, R80 Security Management.

Check Point Security Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Check Point Security Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Check Point Security Management Customers

Hedgetec, Geiger

Check Point Security Management Video

Check Point Security Management Reviews

reviewer1098015
Network Security Engineer/Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 7, 2020
Helps our security team create policies in a centralized way

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have a centralized server to manage all of our Check Point firewalls, which are around 30 clusters of firewalls. We also use it to have a place where we can see, call, and centralize the logs.

• "The features we like and find the most valuable are the ways we can manage the policy, create objects, and drag and drop objects in our daily operation. It makes our daily operation on the firewall management much easier than going, for example, to one firewall, then going to the other."
  • "The migration from R77 Manager to R80 is a major upgrade. It's not very easy to do. There should be some kind of Wizard for a direct upgrade from the R77 to the R80. There should be an easy way for the customers to do the upgrade."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is overall our favorite Check Point product. It's a product that you need to have if you have a Check Point Firewall. If you have a Check Point Firewall, you need to have to Check Point Security Management. You cannot manage the firewalls directly, you need to have the manager. I think it's the best product Check Point has and is the one that makes the difference. When you compare it to, for example, Fortinet, which has a manager that is web-based, it's not as easy to use and easy to drag and drop objects. The way to see the logs is not as good. It works better than web-based…
Oleg P.
Senior Network and Security Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Jul 26, 2020
Everything is configured in one place in the unified SmartConsole, which helps me save working time

What is our primary use case?

Our company works in developing and delivering online gambling platforms. The Check Point Gateways are the core security solution we use to protect our DataCenter environment located in Asia (Taiwan). The environment has about ~50 physical servers as virtualization hosts, and we have two Check Point HA Clusters consist of 2x5400 hardware appliances, managed by an OpenServer Security Management server on a Virtual Machine (KVM), all running on R80.10 with the latest Jumbo Hotfix Accumulators installed (Take 275). The Security Management server has the following blades activated - Network Policy… more »

• "As the security administrator, who is responsible for the day-to-day tasks (e.g. creating new firewall rules, monitoring the security alerts and incidents etc.) and the maintenance (e.g. installing the new Jumbo Hotfixes), I find the Check Point Security Management R80.10 to be the great solution."
  • "I like that the Compliance software blade is available for free with the Security Management server purchase, but it is free for only one year - after that you have to buy an additional license to continue using it. I think such an important feature is vital for the management server, and should not be licensed separately."

What other advice do I have?

There's a demo of the Security Management available for free - just download and install the SmartConsole application, and you could see the interface and most of the features available.
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Security Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,082 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sadiq Abdulwahab
Network Administrator at Nigerian Security Printing & Minting Plc
Jan 26, 2020
Good interface, excellent technical support, and very helpful additional features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution based on the results that are provided. We've tried others previously and they didn't give us the results we receive on this particular product.

• "The additional features offered by the solution are excellent. We didn't have a lot fo these on a previous solution, and they've proven to be an advantage for us."
  • "The reporting should be improved in future releases. It needs to be very explicit. This is very important."

What other advice do I have?

We're still in the testing phase in terms of using the solution. Soon, it will be one year since we have fully deployed it. So far, it's been very good. I would rate it eight out of ten.
Kirtikumar Patel
Network Engineer at LTTS
Sep 17, 2020
Ability to configure multiple gateways in a single screen, and ID-mapped access makes maintenance easy

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product on a daily basis for creating policies, managing gateways, and managing licenses. Currently, our Check Point Management Server version is R80.40. Our current use case with R80.40 is Geo policy. We have applied Geo policies to block traffic from some malicious countries such as China, but over the past few weeks, we observed suspicious activity in our logs. There are some IPs showing as Singapore-based addresses, but when we checked in details, they are showing up as IPs from China. Due to that, the traffic is being dropped as per our configuration.

• "The most valuable feature for me is Identity Awareness."
  • "I would like to bind users to their network, as well as their local office machine."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good solution.
reviewer1181253
System and Network Engineer at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 7, 2019
Good scalability and a straightforward setup, but the solution needs performance tuning options

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as a firewall, and for some IPS features as well.

• "The firewall's blades are the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "We sometimes have trouble with the performance of the solution. Maybe some performance tuning options could be added in a future release. There should be more visibility about which blade in your firewall is causing the latency."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
GeraldChege
ICT Officer at Kenyatta National Hospital
Jan 26, 2020
Has good identification capabilities that link with the Active Directory

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the firewall and the filtration. The accounts are put on a server and even the SmartConsole is installed on a server environment.

• "I love the URL filtering as well as the identification capabilities which link with the Active Directory and work for me even with bandwidth regulation. These allow me to select to whom to do what, and when."
  • "In future releases I'd like to see better integration with other applications and solutions. Also, the cost of the license is too high, it's too expensive."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I'd give Check Point Security Management a nine because it is not yet available in our country.
reviewer1096398
Network and Security Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 7, 2019
A very good management solution with a straightforward setup and good scalability

• "It's a great solution for management. We can manage a lot at the same time with one security management system. Also, each gateway depends on the other, which is helpful."
  • "In the last version from 80.20, there are some issues around SSNA Diction. I would like this to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.