Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Check Point UTM-1 [EOL]?
Check Point UTM-1 delivers proven, best-in-class security ideal for use in industrial Ethernet and SCADA environments. Robust performance and central management provide unmatched value in a simple, all-in-one solution.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Customers
AccessIT Group Inc., Accuvant, Cadre Computer Resources Inc., Compuquip Technologies Inc, Dimension Data North America Inc., Forsythe Solutions Group, Gotham Technology Group LLC, GuidePoint Security LLC, Iovations, IPS
Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Video

Archived Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

EK
Data Center Operations at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good filtering features but has terrible technical support

• "The filtering was very good."
  • "Technical support was very bad because the supplier who sold it to us, wasn't very supportive, and he wouldn't giving us direct links to the OEM."

What is our primary use case?

We were developing something called a remote monitoring center and we wanted to have many plans logging into and having a VPN connection to their networks.

What is most valuable?

The filtering was very good.

What needs improvement?

The licensing could be improved. It restricted us to maybe 55 connections per license, so anything less than 55 VPN connections. But when you grow and have 100 clients coming in, you have to upgrade. I'd prefer to get something which is a one case scenario.

I think in the future they should also overhaul how all the functionalities work. I tried to gauge what I expected it to do after the setup, but as much as I tried to use it, I still had issues, still had problems with it. And OEM wasn't very supportive. Maybe it works for some setups, but not for what I set it up for.

I've been using the solution for two years.

I would give the stability a six out of 10.

I would give the scalability 6 out of 10.

Technical support was very bad because the supplier who sold it to us, wasn't very supportive, and he wouldn't giving us direct links to the OEM. Then the OEM wasn't quite supportive and that's when we decided if we're going to have that kind of a relationship, we'd rather pull out.

We were using Cyberoam, and then we changed to Sophos. We had an appliance for Sophos, and then because we were moving to a bigger setup, we moved to Check Point. We've since moved to FortiGate. That's the solution we have now.

The initial setup was easy. Because it was a new deployment, it took four hours. The good thing about it was is that it was a retrofit. It wasn't something they had to move out and bring in.

I started with 46 users, and clients were growing to 59 and heading on to 60. That's when I suffered limitations with their licensing. We had to go back and forth with the supplier in this area. It didn't work out well for me or the clients. It wasn't favorable.

The licensing was sold to me as yearly, but at the beginning, I assumed if I was getting the license, that it would be a one-time thing. I didn't like that I had to renew yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We've actually stopped using it. We switched to FortiGate because we had side to side VPNs that were are actually bringing issues with the UTM itself, so we had to swap it over.

I would rate the overall solution a six out of 10. There's room for improvement. I think it has the potential to do so much, but it is limited to some features. Or maybe it didn't serve my purpose as I expected it to. That's why I now think there is a bit of reservation on my end for using the product.

In terms of advice, I'd say that anyone going with the solution should really know the product before they purchase it, otherwise it will be a waste of money. If they really know it or have someone who actually knows the product 100 percent, they might be okay.

For our company, it didn't work, but what really captured the market at this end for many was the 4G and because there's just one price, and the setup is easy.

it_user989349
CISO at Timestamp SGS
Supports several Blades on the same appliance, but expensive for smaller companies

• "The UTM platform has been the most valuable."
  • "Specifically on the user experience, sometimes the set up of things, such as the VPN SSL, takes a lot of time to load and a lot of time to get up and running on every session."

What is most valuable?

The UTM platform has been the most valuable. It's a great system. It has the possibility of having several plates implemented on the same appliance. Currently, several other companies have other solutions implemented, but the first time I got acquainted with this was with Check Point.

What needs improvement?

The value can be improved. If we have a small company with less than twenty-five employees and only one central site, the opening range of Check Point is expensive.

The implementation of the rules could also be improved, as some other vendors have a cleaner and nicer interpretation of the rules and rules sets. Check Point, by inheritance of all of those different versions, makes it so it's not that straightforward. Once you get the mindset, it's clear. However, until you get the mindset, specifically on clients that are expecting to work with them, it is not that clear. In our case, we are focused mostly on Layer three, and not the universal ones that some other vendors implement.

I've been using the solution since 2003.

We do have stability. I have only had issues a couple of times. Regarding the synchronization of events between the management platform and the firewall itself, because it was on the huge port and sometimes the management didn't report the loss in time, because it was overwhelmed with the event. In one period, it happened twice.

They are in line with the rest of the on firewall vendors these days. Because you have to implement a software blade or a hardware blade and then if you go beyond a certain range you have to replace the blade with the solution that comes after. It is supported by them and goes from the advanced layer to the intermediate layer.

I've had better support from some other companies. I recall in the past couple years ago, having to submit all of the tickets and it taking a day between the submitting the ticket and getting an initial response or call. I should expect that presently they are better.

The initial setup is straightforward. In the past, we have had to deploy the console and then the firewall then to stop and configure to the main console. Now, with the UTMs and the single appliances, they're straightforward.

This cost is between 3,000 and 5,000 euros per year, so some other solutions are cheaper and the pricing should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

My only recommendation is to get proper sizing of the company or of the environment they're in and to decide if they are going for two layers of firewalls or only one layer. That's the major difference between implementations.

You should start small because of the amount of money. If you have the constraints of buying an appliance that would not suit some VPN constraints or IPSec tunnels that the company might require and if you're going on different layers or implementing more than one layer of firewall, you are spreading the load between them and that's the main issue. That's on top of the high availability which sometimes is disregarded on communications.

The user experience draws the rating down a bit. Specifically on the user experience, sometimes the set up of things, such as the VPN SSL, takes a lot of time to load and a lot of time to get up and running on every session. So some of the users take a long time to get into the SSL VPN.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Check Point, Fortinet, WatchGuard and others in Firewalls. Updated: September 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GoumouFerdinand
Security Engineer at Socitech SA
Ease to manage and connect to other solutions

• "The solution is very robust."
  • "The solution should be more user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

I found the batching part of Check Point very valuable. It is one part I really like about Check Point. I also like the way we connect to the monitoring. For example, in Cisco ASA we talk about FMC and we talk about like management center and the firewall. The way we get connected to the firewall is we can configure one firewall by using one management center. That approach is what I really like about Check Point because you can manage the Check Point firewall by using only one management center.

One more thing about the HTTPS, the SS encryption, and decryption - that is very secure. Those are the features that make me highly recommend that the client goes with Check Point, instead of another solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more user-friendly. I know we can do a lot of the configuration using GUI or CLI. But they have to work more on their GUI. If they work more in the GUI I think many people will come to the solution.

I've been using this solution since 2017.

The solution is very robust. That is one thing I really like about it. And the durability is also a great thing. With a Check Point solution, we can connect to other solutions and I really like that capability. Right now I have two hundred users.

Yes, it's very scalable. Also, if I have a Check Point firewall, and I want to use a Cisco ASA firewall too, these two firewalls can communicate together. I can put them together and that is great. I have plans to increase usage. If the users increase we have to increase the boxes and all of the hardware.

I would rate the technical support eight out of ten. Sometimes the support is not really easy in this part of the world. When you need to connect it usually takes time. Within one day, two days, you'll get support, so that somebody can take over your solution and try to help you out. If you have some issues, you want to Google it. It is really not easy like Cisco and others. Because with Cisco, even if you get an issue, you can see a lot of forums that will help you find answers. But with Check Point, you will not find too many forums that can help you solve your issue.

The initial setup wasn't complex. I would say it isn't complex for a person who knows a bit about Check Point. If I have to compare Check Point with FortiGate, I would say FortiGate would be easier to configure. It's more user-friendly than Check Point. Check Point is okay. I cannot say it's easy, or difficult, but somewhere in the middle.

The length of deployment depends. For example, I deployed for one of my customers at the last minute over here, and it took me two days. To do the visuals and everything to make the inspection, it took me two days to do the deployment.

For deployment and maintenance, I think one or two people is okay. For the maintenance, about the same number.

I evaluated other options and my main focus was looking for something robust. That was my main goal. At that time I was working on completing my certification in Check Point, and as I learned about Check Point I really liked the solution.

What other advice do I have?

In 2017 I passed the exam, so I'm a certified Check Point administration user. Technology-wise, I think Check Point is more robust than FortiGate. Since I have installed the solution everything is working very great.

It is easy to configure a Check Point solution with a different operating system. That is one thing I really like about it. And that is not as easy with FortiGate or other solutions.

I would advise people to try Check Point because you cannot know how great is until you try it. I recommend that you try it once, and then you will definitely see the difference between Check Point and other vendors. People will say, "Cisco can do the same thing, Palo Alto can do the same thing, FortiGate can do the same thing, so why CheckPoint?" I say CheckPoint is more robust and you can never understand how great Check Point is until you try it.

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. If the interface was more user-friendly I'd rate it higher.

PB
RSSI at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to log all details and troubleshoot when a problem occurs

• "The most valuable feature for us was to implement negligent functionality, to direct functionality to viewer control and application control so we could disconnect, and at the same time, we installed checkpoints. We disconnected our proxy."
  • "The solution could be improved if there was a better way to report. The reporting functionality is not really good. Even though it's not the major function. Maybe adding a way to make a custom report."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall function for levels 3 and 4.

How has it helped my organization?

The major improvement was the ability to have a very good log. We're able to log all details and troubleshoot when a problem occurs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us was to implement negligent functionality, to direct functionality to viewer control and application control so we could disconnect, and at the same time, we installed checkpoints. We disconnected our proxy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if there was a better way to report. The reporting functionality is not really good. Even though it's not the major function. Maybe adding a way to make a custom report.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability is very, very good, from my point of view. We have about 1,000 users.

The scalability is very good. We have we had to upgrade the platform during that time because we needed some additional performance when deploying the application and it was working with the platform.

Just before we deployed Check Point, we were using a French solution. We switched because the solution was only level 3 and 4.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. Deployment probably took about two weeks. At the time we deployed the platform, we were only two people maintaining, and we both monitored the platform. Deployment was fine, for me, even though we had some problems with a performance issue due to the antivirus.

We deployed the platform with an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

I would always recommend the product. The only reason why we switched from Check Point, in fact, to Fortinet, is because we have a remote site in Algeria. There's an embargo. We cannot import Check Point products in Algeria.

I would rate this product 8 out of 10. Ten means perfect to me and no product is perfect.

Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
We can create a domain to separate and segregate functions and services

• "We can create a domain to separate and segregate some functions, some services."
  • "As we don't have a representative of Check Point in Mozambique, this makes it very difficult when we have some issues to resolve."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a perimeter firewall. We need to put all the security inside of our data center and Check Point was the first option to use it as the firewall in order to offer all of our services via the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution improved our email service, with less presence on the internet blacklist.

What is most valuable?

The policies that you can use with this equipment are valuable. This is very nice for us; it responded to our requirements for the application to go to the internet. So, we can create a VPN for all the companies that want our service. We can create a domain to separate and segregate some functions, some services. These are the features that we are currently using right now.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by creating or including in the product enforcement of some kind to deal with cybersecurity and all the new kinds of attacks we are dealing with right now.

One thing that we are facing also is the PKI, the public key infrastructure. We don't know how to use this solution to get the visitor certification from the PKI. We did some searching on the internet looking for cases on how we can have this solution integrated with the PKI and we didn't find anything about this.

I would like it if the vendors could pay special attention to integration. It must be easy to do with other kinds of solutions. For example, now to authenticate Cisco routers to the Check Point. So this is one thing that the vendors must think about, how can you make this solution easier to integrate with the others, to be able to collaborate.

I've been using the solutions for 1.5 years.

It's a stable and good community. You can use it, plus you have all the information that you need from the vendors. You need updates sometimes, but not frequently. It's good to use.

At the moment, we are using two devices, but according to workloads, you can add more devices as you need to. It's scalable. We have 1001 branches/sites right now. And each branch has at least four users. Our application spread all over the country and we are in all the provinces and districts. Right now we have not less than 3,000 users that must access all our environments through this device.

Also, right now, I only have one Institution, included in this solution. Currently, I'm going to the other government institutions and each one has is own concurrent users/branches.

As we don't have a representative of Check Point supplier in our country, this makes it very difficult when we have some issues to resolve. I can say for the VPN implementation, we had some trouble and some support from the local Check Point technical team (Supplier).

With the Supplier as a bridge between the vendors and the clients, we can solve this quickly. So I think this kind of solution must have strong suppliers or representation, in Africa especially in Southern Africa, they need to have close representatives for the kind of situations that we cannot solve by ourselves.

Southern Africa is facing cybersecurity concerns because of a lack of expertise.

We started with the Cisco PIX. The equipment was at the end of its life.

The setup was not so complex, but of course, you need to have some skill to implement it. I would say, from one to five, the complexity is three or four. It's not complex.

For deployment, we had two phases. One was to implement the equipment to respond to our needs. And the second was to implement the VPN in our branch offices. The first phase took only one month. The second phase we're doing slowly because when we have a new branch we add it. We're doing this continuously.

The acquiring must be done through a reseller/supplier based in our country, by the law. The reseller worked with us in the first implementation phase.

The administration is normal and I am doing with a team composed by four people, which two are dedicated day by day work watching into this equipment alerts, logs, etc, and two others as a backup which I believe is enough for deployment and maintenance.

I'm using this solution to provide my services and applications over the internet, and according to what we are doing, the workload is huge and we have presence all over the country. If you do the calculations between the investment and the usage of the solution, I can tell you, in less than three years we will have all the investments paid off.

I cannot tell you the pricing, but we paid for three years. There aren't any other costs above the standard licensing and fess. We bought it, we use it.

We evaluated Cisco ASA and FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

If we're talking about value, in my opinion, the financial institutions are the companies that I see that can use this most. I like it because it's user-friendly. You can use it without a lot of complexity. Of course, I sent my staff for training but only to guarantee that they are certified to use it.

I would suggest you first go for training before you implement the solution.

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10. It was very easy for us to implement this solution. And this has all the features that we need to use it. Of course, people say that FortiGate, in comparison, is easier than this one. When we were evaluating services, we knew we needed something robust and easy to implement with the old equipment and something that was safe. We looked at three options: Cisco, Check Point, and FortiGate, we talked about these three products. My team of four invited another four people to evaluate these three products. All of them know that Check Point is quite difficult but it's the best. All of them choose to use Check Point. We are all Cisco aware, but Check Point, it's good.

Mukesh_Sharma
System Administrator at The LNM Institute of Information Technology
We were able to secure our GPS, email, and Internet settings

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the security gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to secure our GPS, email, and Internet settings.

What is most valuable?

The databases and its signatures are its most important features.

What needs improvement?

Some improvement is required to addition feature to set data and concurrent session limit of each user. Currently, there is no option . Check Point should include a DNS server as a feature as additional advantage.

It is stable. We have two staff maintaining the solution.

It is scalable. We can increase users.…

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the security gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to secure our GPS, email, and Internet settings.

What is most valuable?

The databases and its signatures are its most important features.

What needs improvement?

Check Point should include a DNS server as a feature as additional advantage.

It is stable.

We have two staff maintaining the solution.

It is scalable. We can increase users.

Currently, we have around 2000 users. If we increase our students, then we will increase our usage.

Technical support is good

The initial setup is not complicated. It required some implementation initially, but after that, it is easy.

The deployment required one or two days.

This product is very good for the investment.

The pricing is too high.

We also evaluated Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. The database is very good. Check Point is a worldwide product.

it_user911283
Senior Technology Specialist - Information Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides visibility and drives organizational security

What is our primary use case?

It is a full stack security, firewall, and endpoint solution. It has been performing well. We are a system integrator. We have not deployed the solution in our own devices. We provide the solution to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Safeguards against cyber attacks. Provides visibility and drives organizational security. Gives security reports.

What is most valuable?

Sandboxing.

What needs improvement?

I am not able to see a demo. The interface needs improvement.

Three to five years.

It is scalable.

The initial setup was…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Safeguards against cyber attacks.
  • Provides visibility and drives organizational security.
  • Gives security reports.

What is most valuable?

Sandboxing.

What needs improvement?

• I am not able to see a demo.
  • The interface needs improvement.

Three to five years.

It is scalable.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Check Point has been in the security industry for so long that it has evolved different solutions and technologies. Now, it has a complete stack of all the security products. For example, we have cloud solutions and anti-spam solutions.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: System integrator.
it_user161835
IT Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
The most important features are performance and easy management.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are performance and ease of management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helped in the identification and categorization of access and provided a high index of traffic analysis.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the report area. Some features should be integrated and not licensed separately.

We have been using this solution for seven years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of seven out of 10.

We used other solutions before this one. We switched because we needed to increase our level of analysis, as well as improve our solution management.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did not find it complex, as we narrowed it down in advance and chose to reformulate rules that we did not identify as pertinent.

Carefully evaluate the predominant type of traffic, SSL or other, as this reflects on CPU and memory usage. It will directly reflect the value of the investment.

We evaluated Palo Alto, Cisco, and Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would focus on training. A team that has difficulty operating the product will certainly not be able to enjoy the features and differentials that the product offers.

Systems Administrator at a tech services company
Enables us to securely connect remote office sites to our core data network.

What is most valuable?

IPSec VPN is valuable for us. We have quite a few remote sites that need access to our core data network. It is easy to set up and use.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us the ability to securely connect remote office sites to our Core Data Network over ISP DPLC Circuits.

What needs improvement?

Memory and processing power: These devices are strictly for small business applications.

We have been using the solution for about five years.

We never had any issues with the stability of these products.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give the technical support team a rating of 8/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

The initial setup was straightforward with an easy to use GUI.

Check Point has always been more expensive than some of the other firewall products. This includes the products, licensing, and support.

We did not evaluate any alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product that does what it’s advertised to do.

IT Security Assistant Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
I can create a central database for objects, and browse logs for all of the gateways from a single screen.

What is most valuable?

Check Point is the brand that invented customer centricity when it comes to network security. SmartDashboard was there before many competitors were pushing administrators to the CLI, even for the simplest tasks. The ability to create a central database for objects (sources, destinations, services, etc.), which can be used in several different policies, and the possibility of browsing all logs (FW, IPs, identity awareness, etc.) from all the gateways from a unique screen are big pluses.

How has it helped my organization?

Successful implementation of central management allows my organization, which might be considered over-segmented with lots of firewalls, to make firewall changes easier and track possible problems faster.

What needs improvement?

The speed of the management interface needs improvement. It is known by many professionals that hardware resource usage increases almost exponentially when using more than just one security blade. Security rule-creation logic, which so far works sequentially, must be made parallel just like the competitors do. Otherwise, many administrators fail to understand it and do not use it the way it should.

I have used it for six years.

Upgrades are quite troublesome, even more so when you have bigger appliances, with special modules like SAM. Not everything goes according to the procedure suggested by Check Point, causing clusters to fail. There are too many unexpected problems.

Customer service is definitely degrading, according to me. Check Point technical support can be held responsible for that.

Technical support is really hard to reach because of the channel organization. There are know-how differences between support regions, which you normally wouldn't expect from a global organization.

Because of the stability in identity awareness functionality, we switched to Palo Alto Networks firewalls on user-facing environments and it proved to be a right decision.

Check Point seems to purposely keep pricing and licensing complex. That much complexity is really not needed.

What other advice do I have?

Check Point is quite different from other vendors in the way it operates. Too much CLI configuration and strong Linux knowledge is needed for admins. Check Point is not really famous for sharing its learning resources and documentation with the end users. Their proven reputation also impacts the price, making them one of the most costly firewalls, if not the most.

Head IT Services at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Mobile access is valuable to us, but the GUI needs to be worked on.

What is most valuable?

• Application Filtering
  • URL Filtering
  • IPS
  • Mobile access

How has it helped my organization?

Browsing speed has picked up considerably as users now have to do their official work and cannot browse social sites instead. Additionally, remote connections are now more secure and controlled.

What needs improvement?

The entire GUI, look and feel of the application.

I've been using it for two years.

No, it was deployed by the local support company here in Nigeria.

9/10.

9/10.

We used Checkpoint 1075 UTM1. We switched as we needed a bigger box that can handle more traffic without slowing down browsing speed.

The setup was done by their support reps here in Nigeria. It was straightforward, you just have to Install it and then configure your rules.

We used a vendor who I would rate 6/10.

We also looked at Cyberoam, Cisco ASA and Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

Get a sound Check Point specialist to implement it , do a proper handover, and training for the product.

it_user292650
Network/Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provided us with IPS and VPN, but better reporting would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Proxy Load balancing VPN Firewall IPS

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided us with IPS and VPN.

What needs improvement?

Reporting Client integration

We've used it for two years.

The deployment went smoothly.

We have only one product and it is very stable.

Customer Service: It's excellent. Technical Support: It's excellent.

This is our first UTM.

The setup was straightforward.

It was implemented by a…

What is most valuable?

• Proxy
  • Load balancing
  • VPN
  • Firewall
  • IPS

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided us with IPS and VPN.

What needs improvement?

• Reporting
  • Client integration

We've used it for two years.

The deployment went smoothly.

We have only one product and it is very stable.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

This is our first UTM.

The setup was straightforward.

It was implemented by a vendor team.

The pricing is reasonable for the performance and support we are getting.

it_user275226
IT Director with 501-1,000 employees
It presents information clearly and doesn't require command code, but VPN and IPS have room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Firewalls
  • IPS

How has it helped my organization?

As a security information analyst, it helps me to see information in a very clear way. You don’t have to use command code. The platform is very simple, and you don’t need to be an expert to understand the reports.

What needs improvement?

• VPN - It's not that good, so I moved to Juniper.
  • IPS - It has room for improvement, as sometimes hackers are able to get through.

I've used it for two years.

My web infrastructure is different than in other places, therefore the version provided by CheckPoint did not fit a first. I needed to report the bugs to CheckPoint for them to fix them and update the version.

I have two clusters, so even in the rare situation that I have a problem with the stability, it will switch to the cluster. The end users would not notice a switch.

Customer service is not their strong suite. It takes a lot of time until they fix anything, and it can be better to try and fix the issue without them. They have many clients, most of them are large companies, so it’s hard for small-medium companies.

Technical support is not their strong suite. It takes a lot of time until they fix anything, and it can be better to try and fix the issue without them. They have many clients, most of them are large companies, so it’s hard for small-medium companies.

I am using both CheckPoint and Fortigate as result of my complex web infrastructure. Every ISP exits through a different firewall.

It was complex. I initially received two different firewalls from CheckPoint due to my web infrastructure. Every firewall got configured with different rules, and at the point when we wanted to merge them, problems occurred.

Our integrator did great work, integrating 1500 rules.

It's the best of breed with a good return.

You don’t have to buy the cluster immediately. I waited for a year before buying it. By doing that, I’ve split the budget, and was able to convince my managers to buy the solution.

I bought only the hardware, and used an open server license for the rest. CheckPoint would not suggest it, but it works for me.

it_user275226
IT Director with 501-1,000 employees
It performs reliably and you can watch it block hacks, but it needs more customization options for network threat management.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Performance
  • Security

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps the bad guys out.

What needs improvement?

They should provide better customization options for network threat management.

I've used it from 2003 to date.

At first, we tried to implement it not as a cluster, but when we decided to implement as a cluster, it required us to change our entire network infrastructure.

Since I was a beta tester, it had a lot of bugs, which I helped fix.

It depends if you buy the hardware from Check Point or not. I didn’t, so I didn’t have any issues with scalability.

Horrible. It takes them days, sometimes weeks, until they try to help, and then they don't help enough. I have a limited support help. Generally speaking, though, they don’t have problems, and I’m really satisfied.

Not good. They have one of the top engineers, who told me to change something and now I’m buying something else from them.

I’ve just bought FortiGate, and am trying to compare the two to determine which has better features.

It's straightforward, as I did a course for a year with Check Point.

Excellent. Best in their market.

Price is 170,000 Shekels/year. Day-to-day is one and a half people for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

This is my favorite product that I use, and I think it's one of the best in the world. Watching it block hacks is very interesting. It's a great product and fun to work with. Keep innovating, Check Point.

it_user268170
Information Techologies System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's not cheap when compared to other solutions, but it has some valuable features, such as SSL VPN, and IPS.

What is most valuable?

• Threat prevention
  • IPS
  • Application Control and URL filtering
  • SSL VPN
  • Mobile Access
  • Anti Spam
  • Mail

How has it helped my organization?

IPS prevents many unwanted, malicious objects from our web sites. It provides high level security for our network, and by using AppWiki, thousands of application can be controlled over the network. Also, the anti-spam engine provides effective solutions for spam mails.

What needs improvement?

The physical memory is insufficient for installing policies and some other operations. It would be better to put 4GB RAM into the appliance.

We have been using Check Point solutions for 15 years, and this appliance since 2014.

There were some memory bottleneck problems.

It's satisfactory.

It's satisfactory.

No previous solution used.

We have upgraded from a UTM-1 appliance to a Next Generation one. This process has taken some time.

We implemented our solution through an official vendor in our country. They helped us through every stage of our purchase and installation. The service was satisfactory.

Check Point is not cheap when compared to other solutions, but it provides high level security. As an organization we are fully satisfied with this product.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend others to implement or try Check Point products for their security solutions.

it_user223014
Network Engineer Info & Security with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has an easy to use VPN but about once a year we have a catastrophic failure.

What is most valuable?

Firewall Mobile Access

How has it helped my organization?

The firewall allows the logging of traffic, and it has an easy to use VPN. We can NAT onto the firewall instead of our router.

What needs improvement?

The CLI is good.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

Yes, about once a year we have a catastrophic failure. It's pretty random.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 7/10. Technical Support: 6/10.

What is most valuable?

• Firewall
  • Mobile Access

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The CLI is good.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

Yes, about once a year we have a catastrophic failure. It's pretty random.

7/10.

6/10.

No previous solution was used.

A third-party vendor set it up who were knowledgeable about the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient, there's always a solution to whatever issue you are having.

it_user215502
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Some versions have issues, but Checkpoint provides hotfixes when needed.

What is most valuable?

Firewall & VPN are the most valuable Data Loss Prevention (in higher models like 12000 series) Endpoint, IPS Application and URL Filtering Threat prevention & anti-Spam and mail

What needs improvement?

IPS DLP QoS

I've used all of the below versions over the last one and a half years. Edge N appliances Edge N VPN appliances Edge N ADSL appliances Edge X appliances Edge W appliances 1070 1120 1140 1180 2200 4200 4400 4600 4800 12200 12400 12600 13800

I've never had any issues as they're all easy to deploy.

What is most valuable?

• Firewall & VPN are the most valuable
  • Data Loss Prevention (in higher models like 12000 series)
  • Endpoint, IPS
  • Application and URL Filtering
  • Threat prevention & anti-Spam and mail

What needs improvement?

• IPS
  • DLP
  • QoS

I've used all of the below versions over the last one and a half years.

• Edge N appliances
  • 12200
  • 12400
  • 12600
  • 13800

I've never had any issues as they're all easy to deploy.

Some versions, like the R76, create some issues, but Checkpoint provide hotfixes as soon as possible.

The scalability is high and it has a unique ability to adapt to the situation.

Excellent.

Excellent.

No previous solution was used.

It's a straightforward setup.

We are the vendor team in the UAE.

100% satisfaction.

It's pricey, but it provides 100% satisfaction for the money you spend. I don't know about the day-to-day costs, but almost every administrator is happy to use it.

What other advice do I have?

It's an excellent choice.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Checkpoint Gold Partners