VY
Vice President Of Technology at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good reporting, performance, and coverage for different languages

• "The most valuable feature is the application tracking reporting."
  • "The cost per user is high and should be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Checkmarx for application security and tracking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the application tracking reporting.

From the user's perspective, the interface is pretty good. It will point out the exact line of code when an issue is found.

It is good in terms of coverage for different languages.

It is updated automatically so there is less maintenance.

What needs improvement?

The cost per user is high and should be reduced. Five years ago, it was a user-based model, which was significantly better. It would be great if we could distribute the cost equally between projects.

I have been working with Checkmarx for about two years.

This is a stable product.

It is scalable in terms of being able to run multiple instances for different products. We have approximately 10 users, which is the size of our application security team.

I would like to increase our usage of this product, but it will ultimately depend on the company's strategy.

Given the stability of Checmarx, it doesn't require a lot of communication with technical support. That said, we have been in touch with them for non-technical issues and they have a good team with a lot of Russian speakers.

Prior to using Checkmarx, I used AppScan but the concept is completely different. With Checkmarx, you are working with source code, whereas as with AppScan, you are working with binaries. You can say that AppScan is more like a dynamic security scan and Checkmarx is more static.

These products are quite different in terms of how you do the testing. Checkmarx is better from both a performance perspective and reporting a lower number of false positives.

We did not have any trouble with the initial setup. Our deployment was done within a couple of hours. The easiest thing to do is create a virtual machine and deploy it.

Our in-house IT staff was responsible for the implementation.

The number of users and coverage for languages will have an impact on the cost of the license. We would like to deploy it for the whole company but it's a question of spending thousands of dollars. Investing $200,000 or $300,000 would be an upper management decision.

The educational component is additional and costs approximately $100 per month for each user. This is too high so we did not agree to the service.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are very satisfied with Checkmarx and it is a product that I recommend.

ŁR
Solution Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Good value with a very good CodeBashing platform and AppSec Awareness

• "The value you can get out of the speedy production may be worth the price tag."
  • "The pricing can get a bit expensive, depending on the company's size."

What is our primary use case?

We're more evaluating the solution rather than using it right now. We're resellers and it's something we'd like to offer to our clients.

What is most valuable?

I am aware of Checkmarx's portfolio, however, we've been playing exclusively with the SAST and with the AppSec Awareness platform, they're Codebashing platform. It's been a very positive experience overall.

The value you can get out of the speedy production may be worth the price tag.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be better on the product. The need to be much more customizable including being customizable for various roles.

The pricing can get a bit expensive, depending on the company's size.

We've been working with this solution for some time. I have personally been working with the product for the last three or four months.

We haven't really extensively worked with any other products.

The cost might seem steep, however, it really depends on, first the size and requirements of your company. There are companies for which the speed of developing new features and developing them securely, is more valuable than for other organizations.

This goes not only for Checkmarx. It goes for any automated desktop security platform in general. I definitely see the cases when the Checkmarx license is a reasonable expense. It just may not be for everyone.

We've been looking at SonarQube. We're looking into other options as we don't want exclusively to just offer Checkmarx to potential clients.

We looking for solutions more on the enterprise spectrum. Therefore, I would probably consider products such as Vericode. I would also consider the newer players, such as, for example, GitLab

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers, however, we don't have an exclusive relationship with this company. We're looking at other products we can use and offer to our clients as well.

In our company, we do not have the Checkmarx solution running on production. We do have it, however, we only have a learning license, which is non-commercial.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at an eight. Overall, it's been a positive experience so far.

Learn what your peers think about Checkmarx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Antoine Rime
Cyber Security Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with an easy setup and good visibility

• "The setup is fairly easy. We didn't struggle with the process at all."
  • "They could work to improve the user interface. Right now, it really is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for static analysis.

What is most valuable?

The visibility the solution gives you is great. It really gives you the ability to see what the root issues in the code actually are.

The setup is fairly easy. We didn't struggle with the process at all.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't exactly user-friendly. They could make the user experience a bit better in future builds.

They could work to improve the user interface. Right now, it really is lacking.

We've been using this solution for six months. It's been less than a year and not very long just yet.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't freeze and it's not likely to crash. We find it very reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution is scalable. A company that needs to expand can do so.

We have about 100 people that use it in the company.

The technical support is fine. We've always had good experiences. We're satisfied with the level of service we are provided.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've only ever used this product.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. It's not complex.

We don't have to handle any maintenance. It's my understanding that Checkmarx handles it.

The pricing is rather reasonable. It's not the most expensive on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We use the solution in our organization.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. We've had a pretty positive experience overall.

EK
Director of consultory at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Includes features to easily secure code, multiple language support and excellent customer support

• "The setup is very easy. There is a lot of information in the documents which makes the install not difficult at all."
  • "I would like to see the DAST solution in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We onboard clients with the solution. We install the product and do the first scan with them. We help developers with security and the best practices with their applications with this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valued feature comes within the platform called Codebashing, it allows scanning code for security flaws. Our clients are able to learn from these scans and develop more secure code. The solution is easy to configure and user friendly as well. They also have support for a large variety of languages compared to other solutions and the product updates continuously.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the DAST solution in the future.

We have been using the solution for one year.

We had no issues and it has always worked at a top level of performance.

The solution is easy to intergate. It is plug and play and intergrates well with the pipeline and DevSecOps. Our main client is a big company and the solution works well.

The support is excellent.

The product saves you money by minimizing the time needed to figure out how to mitigate the problems by using such features such as The Best Fixed Location and the flow charts.

We evaluated Veracode before choosing Checkmarx.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the client, we could deploy the solution on the cloud or on-premise. I would recommend Checkmarx because you can learn from the scanning done. They have some of the best features which make the product wonderful.

I rate Checkmarx a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
RG
Information Security Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives less number of false positives and supports most of the languages, but need to support remaining languages and create a model to identify zero-day attacks

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple solutions for application security, and Checkmarx is one of them. We are a client-centric organization, and we are also providing support to clients for application security. Sometimes, we have our own production, and then we scan the customer information and provide application security. For a few clients, it is deployed on the cloud, and for a few customers, it is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that its number of false positives is less than the other security application platforms. Its ease of use is another good feature. It also supports most of the languages.

What needs improvement?

They can support the remaining languages that are currently not supported. They can also…

What needs improvement?

create a different model that can identify zero-day attacks. They can work on different patterns to identify and detect zero-day vulnerability attacks.

It is stable, and it works.

It is scalable. Our clients are small, medium, and big enterprises. It is for all the categories.

Their support is good. I had discussions with them multiple times. We are getting proper support.

It is straightforward. It is not a big challenge. It doesn't take long.

I would rate Checkmarx a seven out of ten.

AN
Senior Cybersecurity Solution Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with other security solutions

• "It can integrate very well with DAST solutions. So both of them are combined into an integrated solution for customers running application security."
  • "I expect application security vendors to cover all aspects of application security, including SAST, DAST, and even mobile application security testing. And it would be much better if they provided an on-premises and cloud option for all these main application security features."

What is our primary use case?

Checkmarx is used only for static application security testing (SAST), and it can integrate very well with DAST solutions. So both of them are combined into an integrated solution for customers running application security.

What needs improvement?

I expect application security vendors to cover all aspects of application security, including SAST, DAST, and even mobile application security testing. And it would be much better if they provided an on-premises and cloud option for all these main application security features. So most of my customers would love to have consolidated vendors who cover all application security to lower operational overhead.

I'm a solution architect, not an end-user. I'm selling Checkmarx. This is the first year I've done business with Checkmarx. In the past five years, I worked a lot with Fortify and Micro Focus. I currently have two customers running Checkmarx, and one more is evaluating the product.

Setting up Checkmarx should be relatively straightforward. It takes a little more time for the DevOps team to enable everything, but overall deployment should take less than a week, including preparation and implementation.

Most of my customers opted for a perpetual license. They prefer to pay the highest amount upfront for the perpetual license and then pay for additional support annually.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Checkmarx eight out of 10. Until I get more extensive feedback from clients, I would rate it an eight.

Samuel Baguma
Senior Security Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Detailed reporting assists in repairing problems, but there are a lot of false positives

• "The reports are very good because they include details on the code level, and make suggestions about how to fix the problems."
  • "You can't use it in the continuous delivery pipeline because the scanning takes too much time."

What is our primary use case?

When I had an issue that was causing trouble in my code, I would upload it to Checkmarx to perform static code analysis. I would then study the reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product improved the stability of my code that went into production.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scanning.

What needs improvement?

You can't use it in the continuous delivery pipeline because the scanning takes too much time. Better integration with the CD pipeline would be helpful.

It reports a lot of false positives so you have to discriminate and take ones that are rated at either a one or a two. The lower-rated problems need to be discarded.

I used Checkmarx for about six months at my previous place of employment. I stopped using it about six months ago.

We had perhaps 100 users at my previous job.

I was not in contact with technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

EB
Director and Co-Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Fits our requirements, scales easily, and is easy to use

• "It is very useful because it fits our requirements. It is also easy to use. It is not complex, and we are satisfied with the results."
  • "Its pricing model can be improved. Sometimes, it is a little complex to understand its pricing model."

What is most valuable?

It is very useful because it fits our requirements. It is also easy to use. It is not complex, and we are satisfied with the results.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing model can be improved. Sometimes, it is a little complex to understand its pricing model.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is pretty stable.

It has the capability to scale very easily. It is not a problem.

Their support is good. It has a good webpage with a lot of details.

It is very easy to set up. It takes a couple of days. It is not an issue.

It is not expensive, but sometimes, their pricing model or licensing model is not very clear. There are similar variables, such as projects or developers, and sometimes, it is a little bit confusing.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. I would rate Checkmarx a nine out of 10.

Download our free Checkmarx Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.