Cherwell Service Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cherwell Service Management is #19 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #26 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. IT Central Station users give Cherwell Service Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cherwell Service Management is most commonly compared to ServiceNow:Cherwell Service Management vs ServiceNow. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is Cherwell Service Management?
Cherwell Service Management is a powerful IT service management (ITSM) solution that provides IT organizations the flexibility needed for rapid configuration and customization, minimal overhead, and frictionless upgrades at a fraction of the cost and complexity associated with legacy ITSM solutions. Cherwell's codeless design architecture means you can add new functionality without modifying a single line of code, integrate easily with third party applications, and upgrade without fear of breaking what you've built.

Download the IT Service Management (ITSM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Cherwell Service Management Customers
Ausenco, Highlights for Children, B/E Aerospace
Cherwell Service Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cherwell Service Management pricing:
  • "For an ITIL user, the cost is probably about 50 bucks a month."

Cherwell Service Management Reviews

Brian McMinn
ServiceNow Architect / Lead Developer & Owner at Hana Technical Solutions
A scalable solution with good discovery, integration, and orchestration features, but application service mapping, GRC, and SecOps need improvement

• "Its integration features, orchestration features, and discovery tools are the most valuable. It is also pretty stable, and it can be as scalable as you want."
  • "Application service mapping, GRC, SecOps, and things like that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our company does BMC, Cherwell, and ServiceNow implementation. We used Cherwell primarily for ITSM, and we did some discovery for CMDB and some orchestration. We used it with Azure.

What is most valuable?

Its integration features, orchestration features, and discovery tools are the most valuable. It is also pretty stable, and it can be as scalable as you want.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is a pretty stable platform. It is on-premise, so it is pretty stable because you're controlling your environment. Avante just bought them, so I don't know what Avante is going to do with it in terms of whether they are going to make it totally cloud-based.

It can be as scalable as you want because it is on-premise. You can buy as many servers as you want for it.

It is not as good as the ServiceNow ticketing tool, but it is good. The support from the actual manufacturer is poor. They don't really have any in-company tech support. You have to work with a Cherwell partner or something like that.

We also do ServiceNow implementations. ServiceNow is kind of the gold standard.

It is pretty complex on some premises.

For an ITIL user, the cost is probably about 50 bucks a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just be ready to have an on-premise solution. As far as configuration and everything goes, you will probably need a team of developers or implementers. It is highly configurable, so you would probably need some support in that area.

I would rate Cherwell Service Management a seven out of ten.

TM
Consultant at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good dashboard and reporting functionality, but overall not very user-friendly

• "The dashboard and the reporting functionality are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The stability, specifically in the on-premises deployment model, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for incident management, problem management, and change management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user-friendly. The workflows sometimes get complicated.

I've been using the solution for less than a year.

The solution is stable. When it was on-premises, we did have issues with it. However, now that we are on the cloud, it is much more stable.

We've never attempted to scale the solution, so I can't speak to how easy it would be to expand it.

Currently, we have 130 people using the solution.

We've contact technical support in the past. They're okay. We're largely satisfied with the level of support we've received.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup isn't complex. It took about two months to configure the solution. Deployment itself only takes about an hour.

We were able to implement the solution with the assistance of a consultant.

There aren't any costs that I know of that are above and beyond the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution every day and quite extensively.

For those considering implementing the solution, I'd say as long as you have your processes in order, it will be an easy solution to adopt. Without them ready and lined up, it will be a difficult implementation process.

I'd rate the solution overall seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it was more user-friendly in design.