Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Overview

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. It is most often compared to Zscaler Private Access: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client vs Zscaler Private Access

What is Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client?

As mobile workers roam to different locations, an always-on intelligent VPN helps AnyConnect client devices to automatically select the optimal network access point and adapt its tunneling protocol to the most efficient method. This may include voice over IP (VoIP) traffic, TCP-based application access, or Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) protocol for latency-sensitive traffic.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is also known as Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility, AnyConnect Secure Mobility, Cisco AnyConnect, AnyConnect.

Download the Enterprise Infrastructure VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Customers

MST, Molina Healthcare, Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Arup, New South Wales Rural Fire
Service

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client pricing:
  • "We pay for an annual subscription. Additionally to the subscription, we thought in order to connect this solution to the Active Directory we had to purchase a Cisco ACS, Access Control System. It turns out we did not actually need it."
  • "The pricing depends on the requirement, so proper planning and an RF analysis help to properly size the solution and get the best pricing."
  • "Sometimes there is a problem with the number of licenses for the end-user. The number of concurrent users is limited due to a valid license."

Sean Muller
IT Security manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Plenty of functionality, integrates with Active Directory, and highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to controls the VPN tunnel between people outside connected to the internet into the office network. This is done by prompting them for a username and password for security.

• "Some of the main features of the solution are it has the ability to integrate with our Active Directory to allow each user to have one less password to have to remember and it has great functionality."
  • "The support could be more proactive in their recommendations. I noticed that the Cisco support agents tend to leave customers to do what they need to do in many ways, and you can choose how you want to do it. However, it would be great if they could proactively be involved in best practices and let other customers know how most people are doing it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is you could purchase the license for this solution and set it up with your ASA directly without having to purchase a Cisco ACS. I rate Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client a nine out of ten.
DevSecOps at AssureThink
A user-friendly and clean interface, secure with multiple two-factor authentication options, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

The best thing I like about Cisco AnyConnect is that it is super easy to connect to any private network with just one click. During the pandemic, most of our deployments were in organizations operating remotely. Using private VPNs means that only authenticated users can access internal company websites and applications. In our organization, it is used to connect to the servers in a secure way. Also, our remote users can access their computers in the office using the VPN Site-to-Client, where it allows you to encrypt and protect your data towards electronic computers when Internet connections… more »

• "The ability to add multiple two-factor authentication options for the user to choose from when they log in has helped increase the security of our network, especially with so many people working remotely."
  • "Even when your internet speed is good, once you connect to the VPN the speed gets automatically reduced, which is worrisome."

What other advice do I have?

During my usage of this application, I did not come across anything that I particularly hate about it. Sometimes, it takes a little longer to connect to a VPN, although I do not know if it's an issue with the application or with the VPN. Since I have faced this issue at times, I thought that I would mention it. Apart from that, there are no complaints.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, OpenVPN and others in Enterprise Infrastructure VPN. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Takao Kobayashi
Project Manager at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stable and secure with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote access to the on-premise server. If we are off-site, we are still able to connect when we need to.

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "We were going to use the Cisco AnyConnect with hardware tokens. However, right now, it's very complicated in terms of delivering the hardware token to the customer. That's why we are looking for a software token right now."

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution ourselves and are end-users. However, we also resell the product to our clients. We upgraded a few months ago. It's my understanding that we are on the latest version of the product. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. For the most part, we've been very happy with the solution and its capabilities.
Uldis Stokenbergs
Member of the Board at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Lightweight and stable with good connectivity

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for secure access the company's network.

• "The solution works very well. You just click and it's working."
  • "The configuration from the client-side would be useful. Right now, it's not centralized. There should be a lock so that it can only be configured from one place."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is perfect for both large and small companies. I'd advise other organizations to choose a subscription for the maximum period. The longer period is cheaper in price. Users should also keep it running all the time for the best results. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.
JB
BCM/ECM Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple and reliable solution that allows you to work remotely

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for working remotely.

• "This solution is stable. There have been no technical issues."
  • "I have been working with the same interface for the last ten years. I would say that it needs some improvements made."

What other advice do I have?

I use this product on a day to day basis. Take into consideration the appropriate ratio between the real number of users and the concurrent number of users. That was my experience when I was responsible for the remote working solutions for business continuity. I would recommend this solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
MG
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A secure solution that allows for easy sharing of connections or credentials with colleagues

What is our primary use case?

We use them for our clients to connect to the servers.

• "I like the ability to share the connections or simply to be able to pass the credentials for a connection to other colleagues without bothering too much about the connection being tracked or about security, because each and every user will require a secret password, so I don't really care about sending the details. It's very secure."
  • "If they could simplify connections via other machines, like Linux or Mac OS X, it would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anyone who is considering its implementation. I would rate this solution between a seven and an eight out of ten.
Senior Quality Assurance at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Works well as a VPN, but the automatic re-connection feature needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution as an access point. We have on-premises servers and if anyone needs to access those servers remotely, they access them through Cisco AnyConnect. We use it as a VPN between outside networks and our internal office network.

• "The most valuable feature is the connection feature."
  • "There are situations where the connection drops, and you may not even be aware of it until you try to do something critical."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very good, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could create issues with it very quickly. If you don't have enough knowledge regarding this solution, then you need to get someone who knows this solution to help you with the implementation or to implement the solution. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
ZM
Head of Solutions Delivery (Systems) at a wellness & fitness company with 201-500 employees
A secure and easy way of utilizing company services remotely

What is our primary use case?

We use AnyConnect to connect to our machines and networks remotely when we are not in the office. I can access files and other services that are available only on our company network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is really secure and very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes when you are on the VPN, it can be a little bit slow. This may not be a Cisco issue, per se.

We have been using Cisco AnyConnect for six months.

Stability-wise, it seems to be pretty good. We have people working from home and we really haven't had any issues.

We have between 2,000…
See 8 more Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Reviews
Download our free Enterprise Infrastructure VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, OpenVPN, and more!