Suebsak Komjezsda
Senior MIS Manager at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Stable with great security and good scalability

• "The solution is excellent for enterprise-level networks."
  • "If the implementation was easier, it would be a lot better for us."

What is our primary use case?

We tend to use the solution as it's forced on us by corporate. Our company wants us to use it.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable. We haven't had any issues in that sense.

The security of the hardware is excellent. Cisco is very serious in its approach to security.

We have a high level of trust in Cisco and its products.

The solution is excellent for enterprise-level networks.

What needs improvement?

The solution is difficult to use. There's more required than a typical firewall. It's different than, for example, Palo Alto and Fortinet, which we find are easier to set up.

If the implementation was easier, it would be a lot better for us.

It would be such a great product for us if it was easier to manage.

I've been working with the solution for more than ten years. It's been a long time. It's been over a decade at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We have no problems with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

We've found the solution to be scalable. A company shouldn't have any issues with expanding it if it needs to.

We have about 300 users on the solution currently. We do plan to continue to use Cisco in the future.

We use third-party technical support that's offered and we're quite satisfied with the level of attention we receive.

I have knowledge of Palo Alto and Fortinet.

While those two are easier to set up and control, nothing compares to Cisco in terms of security. They're very strong in that regard. We also find Cisco to be more stable.

However, we only use Cisco firewalls in our organization. We don't use anything else.

The implementation is not so straightforward. It's rather complex and we have a lot of trouble with it.

The implementation took us about one month.

We plan to implement an updated version next month as well.

We need three to eight people to handle the setup.

I did not handle the implementation by myself. Rather, it's done by another team including the original support from Singapore and with license support from headquarters in Japan.

However, our team does handle the implementation in-house, and we can handle the setup for clients as well.

We do need to purchase licenses. Those come from headquarters in Japan. They handle the details in terms of pricing. I'm not sure of the overall costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're both a customer of Cisco and a reseller.

This month we plan to upgrade from our existing hardware.

Overall, we've been happy with the results we've gotten. I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Pardeep Sharma
Network security engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple and reliable firewall with best support and very good netting, routing, and VPN functionalities

• "Netting is one of the best features. We can modify it in different ways. Site-to-site VPN is also an awesome feature of Cisco ASA. The biggest advantage of Cisco products is technical support. They provide the best technical support."
  • "Cisco should work on ASDM. One of the biggest drawbacks of Cisco ASA is ASDM GUI. Cisco should improve the ASDM GUI. The configuration through ASDM is really difficult as compared to CLI. Sometimes when you are doing the configuration in ASDM, it suddenly crashes. It also crashes while pushing a policy. Cisco should really work on this."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Cisco ASA 5525 for netting, routing, and site-to-site VPN. We have two sites. I am using Cisco ASA Firewall on one site and Check Point Next-Generation Firewall on another site.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it with Cisco Anyconnect. This feature has been very good for us during the lockdown.

What is most valuable?

Netting is one of the best features. We can modify it in different ways. Site-to-site VPN is also an awesome feature of Cisco ASA.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should work on ASDM. One of the biggest drawbacks of Cisco ASA is ASDM GUI. Cisco should improve the ASDM GUI. The configuration through ASDM is really difficult as compared to CLI. Sometimes when you are doing the configuration in ASDM, it suddenly crashes. It also crashes while pushing a policy. Cisco should really work on this.

We have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It is stable and reliable. If you are looking for security from Layer 1 to Layer 4, Cisco ASA is good, but if you are looking for Layer 7 security, deep security, and malware detection, this is not the right product. You have to use some other product.

We have more than 400 employees. We are currently not thinking of increasing its usage because we need more security, and Cisco ASA is not good for Layer 5 to Layer 7 security.

The biggest advantage of a Cisco product is technical support. They provide 24/7 support on 365 days. Their technical support is one of the best. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

Cisco ASA is very not complex. It is a very simple firewall. If you are configuring it through CLI, it is easy. If you configuring it through ASDM, it will be more difficult for a beginner engineer.

It takes around two to three days to cover all the parameters. It is very easy to deploy in an existing network, which is one of the main advantages of Cisco ASA.

We are happy with its price. Licensing is on a yearly basis for technical support. There is one license for technical support. There is another license for IP Version 2 VPN and IPS.

I considered pfSense, but when I checked the reviews, pfSense's reviews were really bad, so we purchased Cisco ASA.

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy with this product in terms of netting, routing, and VPN functionalities. If you are a small organization with around 100 people and you are not thinking of Layer 7 security, deep security, and malware detection, Cisco ASA would be very useful and cost-effective for you.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TH
President at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Great diagnostics combined with a high-security VPN

• "I like them mostly because they don't break and they have great diagnostics."
  • "They should improve their interface."

What is most valuable?

I like them mostly because they don't break and they have great diagnostics. If something is awry, you can generally figure it out. And of course, everybody has a VPN, but I like the security of their VPN.

What needs improvement?

They should improve their interface and ensure that people actually know what they're doing before they start programming; that would make me happy. But that's never going to happen — it's a total pipe dream.

Some of the next-generation stuff that Cisco is doing now allows you to add web filtering and provides more security inside the device. That's why we were looking at the Next-Generation Firewall.

I have been using this solution since they developed it.

I've had a couple of issues. Way back, they had a power supply that had to be changed out. They also had some issues with the 5500 series. Other than that, they're pretty rock-solid.

Within their limitations, yes, they're scalable. You don't want to put a 5506 in when you need a 5525 — you'll never get it there. If properly sized, they're scalable, but you can't make a 5506 a 5525 — there're different processors and everything. You have to know where you're going. You have to know your customer first.

The tech support is good. The documentation is verbose almost to the point of being confusing if you don't know what it is you're looking for.

It's only confusing if you have somebody who is not familiar with it. They give you every option in great detail, so you can spend time searching through a manual that you might not otherwise. Here's an example: take Sophos or SonicWall — let's say the manual for SonicWall is 25 to 30 pages; that same Cisco documentation is going to be three times that size or more.

It's not that it needs to be simplified, the people using it need to be knowledgeable. It is not a novice box, we'll put it that way.

We've been with Cisco for a long time. We've used their routers and gadgets for years and years.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

I would guess that the market value of Cisco is going to be towards the higher-end. I don't know that it's the highest, but feature for feature, I'd say it's probably well-priced.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco ASA Firewall Is not as much of a plug and play solution as some of the others. You just need to make sure that you do your research.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco ASA Firewall a rating of nine.

MR
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good UI but too expensive and not very stable

• "The user interface, the UI, is excellent on the solution."
  • "The stability is not the best."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the IPsec only.

What is most valuable?

The user interface, the UI, is excellent on the solution. Let's say you want to check the real-time locker - you can create it by the UI using ADSM.

What needs improvement?

The VPN portion of the solution isn't the greatest.

The stability is not the best.

The solution is far too expensive.

I've been working with the solution for about six months, or maybe a little bit less than that.

I haven't found the stability to be very good. The IPsec stability leaves a lot to be desired. They really need to work on the solution's stability capabilities.

In ASA, I built the IPsec between ASA and Fortigate due to the fact that most of the time I have to restart the timer to flow the data.

We only have two to three users who directly deal with the solution within our company. Overall, we have between 100-200 employees. We haven't really scaled it.

I personally would prefer not to use ASA going forward. However, I don't know if the company itself has any plans to increase usage or not.

While I've dealt with Cisco technical support in the past on other solutions, I have not contacted them in regards to this specific product.

That said, my past experience with Cisco technical support has been very positive and I found them to be very helpful in general. I just can't speak to this specific product.

I was pretty junior when the solution was initially implemented in the organization. For that reason, I did not take an active role in implementing the solution. I wouldn't be able to really discuss the setup specifics or the level of difficulty.

I'm not exactly sure who handles maintenance, if any, within our organization.

The licensing is quite expensive. I don't have the exact amount, however, it's my understanding that it's a very pricey solution. There's a lot of competition out there, including from Fortigate, which offers just as good, if not better products.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not overly familiar with ASA. I only work with it on an administration level.

I work with the latest version and I use the ASDM version server.

I wouldn't recommend that an organization choose ASA as a solution. They should look into other options.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. We haven't had the greatest experience.

Sergio Díaz
Owner/CTO at FS NETWORKS
Good solution that is easy to implement

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say the UTM part should be more integrated for one price, because if you buy ASA from Cisco, you need to buy another contract service from Cisco as a filter for the dictionary of attacks. In Fortinet, you buy a firewall and you have it all."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for perimeter security.

We are using the enterprise version. Cisco has many versions. Maybe we are using the old version of ASA because it needs to be the freeware. In each freeware, there are different types of things. Maybe it is the standard version because the other version cost a lot. I need to combine it with another solution like an open source standard solution of the ASA firewall from Cisco.

What is most valuable?

Firewalls are about blocking. ASA is for blocking, but it does not have the intelligence like Fortinet to detect attacks. If I could use ASA to detect attacks, maybe we could buy another service from Cisco although it's very expensive. I would choose Fortinet, but my clients like ASA support. I prefer Fortinet because Fortinet has a UTM and it's a good firewall.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the UTM part should be more integrated for one price, because if you buy ASA from Cisco, you need to buy another contract service from Cisco as a filter for the dictionary of attacks. In Fortinet, you buy a firewall and you have it all.

I would like to see all the features like Fortinet has. If I buy ASA, I would like to see a Fortinet-like interface.

It would be good if Cisco could improve their web interface to configure the equipment. Cisco is very reliable and very secure, but has to compete with Fortinet which is very hard.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Cisco ASA Firewall a nine.

I have been using Cisco ASA Firewall for about 15 years.

We have maybe 100 - 200 end users using the solution.

I would give their technical support an eight out of ten because of their response time.

Let me give an example. When I have a problem, and I contact support, maybe there is a guy from India or from another country answering me. This is very slow. The people look at the ticket and increase the time for response.

The initial setup is easy. Firewalls are like programming. If you know programming, you know every language. Firewalls are the same. If you know the security and blocking the perimeter, it's the same for all the firewalls. The difference with the different firewalls are the functionalities. Learn the functionalities in every brand.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Cisco ASA Firewall is that you need a lot of money to implement the Cisco solution. But it's a good solution. If you want to go to Cisco, you need a lot of money.

FB
Sr Network Administrator at Orient Petroleum Inc
Reliable and user-friendly with good technical support

• "The user interface is easy to navigate."
  • "The annual subscription cost is a bit high. They should try to make it comparable to other offerings. We have a number of Chinese products here in Pakistan, which are already, very cheap and have less annual maintenance costs compared to Cisco."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution to protect our network.

What is most valuable?

The security the solution offers is very good. Security-wise, it's the top in the world.

The product has excellent technical support.

The user interface is easy to navigate.

Everything is user friendly.

What needs improvement?

The annual subscription cost is a bit high. They should try to make it comparable to other offerings. We have a number of Chinese products here in Pakistan, which are already very cheap and have less annual maintenance costs compared to Cisco.

I've been using the solution for a few years now.

The solution is reliable. We have been using it for more than a couple of years and we haven't had any problems. There's been no downtime and no hardware failures. It's pretty stable.

We've never tried to scale. We have a pretty small set up in our country. It's unlikely we will have to scale.

Currently, we have between 200 and 300 people on the solution.

The technical support has been very good. They are helpful and knowledgeable. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

This is the first product of this nature that we have implemented. We didn't previously use a different solution.

Initially, the preliminary set up took us some time. However, we did have some local expertise in Pakistan. Once, when we were stuck on something, we could manage to get help from Cisco online. It wasn't that tricky or complex. In the end, it was straightforward.

We had some assistance with a local expert as well as Cisco.

There's an annual subscription. It's not cheap. It's quite pricey if you compare it to other competitors in Pakistan. There aren't any extra costs beyond the yearly licensing.

We pay about $200 yearly and we have two firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

We are the customer. We are in the oil and gas business. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

I'd recommend the solution to others straight away. It's more or less a very standard option here in Pakistan.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at an eight.

Chandan-Singh
Sr Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Best documentation, good price, and very reliable with useful remote VPN, site-to-site VPN, and clustering features

• "The remote VPN and IPsec VPN or site-to-site VPN features are valuable. The clustering feature is also valuable. We have two ISP links. Whenever there is a failover, users don't even get to know. The transition is very smooth, and the users don't notice any latency. So, remote VPN, site-to-site VPN, and failover are three very powerful features of Cisco ASA."
  • "Cisco has the best documentation. You can easily find multiple documents by searching the web. Even a child can go online and find the required information."
  • "There is huge scope for improvement in URL filtering. The database that they have is not accurate. Their content awareness and categorization for URL filtering are not that great. We faced many challenges with their categorization and content awareness. They should improve these categorization issues."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cisco ASA Firewall 5525 for network security. We needed a network security solution that can take care of the network security and URL filtering. We also wanted to create site-to-site VPNs and have remote VPNs. For all these use cases, we got Cisco ASA, and we are pretty happy with it.

What is most valuable?

The remote VPN and IPsec VPN or site-to-site VPN features are valuable. The clustering feature is also valuable. We have two ISP links. Whenever there is a failover, users don't even get to know. The transition is very smooth, and the users don't notice any latency. So, remote VPN, site-to-site VPN, and failover are three very powerful features of Cisco ASA.

What needs improvement?

There is huge scope for improvement in URL filtering. The database that they have is not accurate. Their content awareness and categorization for URL filtering are not that great. We faced many challenges with their categorization and content awareness. They should improve these categorization issues.

It is very reliable.

It is scalable. Cisco is pretty popular with organizations, and many customers are using it. It is suitable for all kinds of customers. It can cater to small, medium, and large organizations.

I have interacted with them many times. I have been on a call with their technical support continuously for 48 hours. They were very prompt. In terms of technical support and documentation for switching, firewall, and routing solutions, no one can match Cisco.

Its initial setup was very straightforward. Its documentation is very easily available on the web, which is very useful.

Their pricing is very aggressive and good. Even a small company can afford it. I am happy with its pricing. Its licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they are not specifically looking for URL filtering and want to use it for their infrastructure. It is a perfect and very reliable solution, but it lacks when it comes to URL filtering.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall a nine out of ten.

LS
Network Administrator at Novabase
Useful VPN, overall user friendly, but becoming outdated

• "The most valuable feature we have found to be the VPN because we use it often."
  • "The solution has not had any layer upgrades. It does not have layer five and upwards, it only has up to layer four. This has caused some problems for us."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have this solution hosted in a service provider's premises. They give us the link for our infrastructure and that is how we manage our equipment. We use the VPN feature to connect with our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature we have found to be the VPN because we use it often. Additionally, overall the solution is user-friendly and especially the ASDM GUI.

What needs improvement?

The solution has not had any layer upgrades. It does not have layer five and upwards, it only has up to layer four. This has caused some problems for us.

In the future, it would be wonderful to have an antivirus, log analyzer, and PDF/Excel data exportation features build into the solution. The data export would be great to be able to look at the access list.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable up to a point. We have had some troubles making VPN connections with other technologies, such as Check Point. We have some of our clients that have Check Point equipment on their side, and sometimes the traffic ceases. We then are forced to reset the tunnel in order to get the traffic back.

Currently, we have approximately 20 site-to-site VPNs operations.

We have had no issues with technical support.

We are currently using a Check Point solution because this solution lacks by not having an application layer.

The initial setup is can be complicated if you are not familiar with the command line. There is documentation available by Cisco and once you are trained it is not difficult at all.

We use implementation consultants for the full deployment and it took approximately two weeks to complete.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement the solution would be that implementations sometimes do not go as planned. You need to do your research to be prepared.

We are evaluating other solutions because this one is getting close to its expiration. There are no other technologies out there that offer better features than this ASA solution.

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Cisco ASA Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.