Hari Pandu Dairi
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to operate with good technical support, but needs better logging features

• "The command line is the same as it is on the Cisco iOS router."
  • "The solution needs to have better logging features."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide implementation and maintenance services to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The software itself is very simple.

The solution is easy to operate. It's not overly complex.

The command line is the same as it is on the Cisco iOS router.

The technical support is very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to have better logging features.

Cisco needs to migrate its ASA Firewall to a management console or to a web console.

I've been working with the solution for six years at this point.

The solution is largely stable. Once we adopted Cisco services, we found that everything was pretty reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good.

The scalability is a problem as the solution has a low throughput.

We've been in touch with technical support and I've always found them easy to reach. They're responsive and helpful. I find their service much better than, for example, Fortinet or Palo Alto. Overall, we're satisfied with Cisco with respect to their technical support.

We have some experience working with Palo Alto and Fortinet solutions as well.

While I don't have the exact pricing of the solution, it's my understanding that Cisco is rather costly. It's not the cheapest option on the market. It's expensive. It's more costly, for example than Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

We have a gold partnership status with Cisco, however, we are also partners with companies such as Fortinet and Palo Alto.

For a next-generation firewall, I would likely recommend Palo Alto. However, if a company had the budget, I would recommend Fortinet. That said, for a VPN gateway, I would recommend Cisco ASA.

In general, I would rate Cisco's ASA Firewall at seven out of ten.

OB
Principal Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Good monitoring capability, but it lacks the next-generation firewall functionality

• "The most valuable features for my client are the ASDM and monitoring."
  • "Cisco ASA is not a next-generation firewall product."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and when clients ask for white papers or studies, I do the research. At that point, they do whatever change processes they have; I give them all of the numbers and other relevant data, but that's the extent of what we do in my organization.

They are just using it as a stateful packet inspection firewall, traditional firewalling.

How has it helped my organization?

At this point, my client is looking for their next solution so something may not be working.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for my client are the ASDM and monitoring.

They have familiarity with the Cisco CLI.

What needs improvement?

Cisco ASA is not a next-generation firewall product.

My client has been using the Cisco ASA solution for approximately five years.

They've been using it for five years and my assumption is that it's been good for what they needed it t do. However, they were consulting to move forward with something different.

The scalability is very limited because as a traditional firewall, it's a step behind. As far as the scale goes, my assumption is that you just buy a bigger model.

I was not consulting with this client when they implemented the Cisco ASA.

This is a hardware-based device, versus a virtual one, so it's maxed out.

My assumption is that it's a typical HA, basic setup.

My client is looking for a next-generation firewall solution to replace the Cisco ASA.

What they need is a step up from what they already have that includes application-controlled firewall rules, as well as other features that ASA doesn't currently have.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for anybody who is looking at Cisco ASA is to work with the vendor, as they have newer products.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AK
Senior Information Security Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Useful access controls, reliable, and good support

• "I have found the most valuable feature to be the access control and IPsec VPN."
  • "When comparing the graphical interface of this solution to other vendors it is more difficult to configure. There is a higher learning curve for administrators in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic. This includes many types of traffic, such as VPN users.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature to be the access control and IPsec VPN. There are a lot of people moving towards the next-generation versions of firewalls which have some advanced features such as this one. You can define rules based on the application instead of how they are traditionally are done. There are more general and traffic controls, and additional features for intrusion prevention for malware analysis.

What needs improvement?

When comparing the graphical interface of this solution to other vendors it is more difficult to configure. There is a higher learning curve for administrators in this solution.

A lot of vendors, such as Palo Alto, are going toward cloud-based systems and Cisco should follow.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

Since this is a hardware solution it does not scale as well as cloud versions. We have approximately 20,000 people using this solution in my organization.

The support of this solution is very good.

We have security specialists to manage the solution.

I have previously used FortiGate and Palo Alto solutions. When comparing them to this solution they have more standard features in their normal firewall this one does not.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement the solution is to look at their use case and see if it meets those requirements for what they are looking for. There are a lot of security features that people may not be aware of and do not use. Explore the solution and all its features which will help you understand the configurations.

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Shrijendra Shakya
C.T.O at Sastra Network Solution Inc. Pvt. Ltd.
Reliable and easy to use with good security features

• "It is very stable compared to other firewall products."
  • "They need a user-friendly interface that we could easily configure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cisco ASAv in our company and have deployed it for many of our customers. They are in both government and the private sector.

The deployment method varies depending on the customer's needs. For the government, it's through the government cloud while others are on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable compared to other firewall products.

It has good security features.

The firewall features make it easy for the users to work on it.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs improvement. I would like a better interface for Cisco. Other solutions such as Palo Alto have a user-friendly dashboard.

They need a user-friendly interface that we could easily configure.

It would be beneficial to have some of the features that Cisco has, integrating with other types of security.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

It's a very stable solution out of the box and we have not had any issues in our deployment.

We have 86% of the devices being used simultaneously.

It's scalable based on the type of license and modules that you require.

We don't have the option to update the box, but we can add features such as antivirus protection.

We have contacted technical support for some issues outside our technical expertise, mostly for updating the license.

We have a team that handles our issues.

We work on a case-by-case basis and are have good offers by Cisco.

It's very competitive with other products.

What other advice do I have?

They should incorporate it with FortiGate, or Sophos firewalls.

If they are looking for a layer 7 type of security then they need to go with another solution.

I would rate Cisco ASAv a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
JD
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Affordable, scalable, and suitable for a big traffic load

• "The whole firewall functionality, including firewall policies and IPS policies, is valuable. It has all kinds of functionalities. It has IPS, VPN, and other features. They are doing quite a lot of stuff with their devices."
  • "It lacks management. For me, it still doesn't have a proper management tool or GUI for configuration, logging, and visualization. Its management is not that easy. It is also not very flexible and easy to configure. They used to have a product called CSM, but it is no longer being developed. FortiGate is better than this solution in terms of GUI, flexibility, and user-friendliness."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to manage our environment.

What is most valuable?

The whole firewall functionality, including firewall policies and IPS policies, is valuable. It has all kinds of functionalities. It has IPS, VPN, and other features. They are doing quite a lot of stuff with their devices.

What needs improvement?

It lacks management. For me, it still doesn't have a proper management tool or GUI for configuration, logging, and visualization. Its management is not that easy. It is also not very flexible and easy to configure. They used to have a product called CSM, but it is no longer being developed. FortiGate is better than this solution in terms of GUI, flexibility, and user-friendliness.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years.

It is rather stable. It can have some peculiarities, but most of the time, it is quite stable.

These are big devices. They have multiple models, but most of the models can be virtualized. You can create many virtual firewalls and add whatever you want.

We faced some issues, but I don't deal with these issues. My colleague interacts with them, and it seems it is not that easy. Cisco is a large company, and sometimes, it is not easy to get quick and very efficient support.

We have a firewall specialist who handles the installation.

It is affordable. The hardware is not that expensive anymore. It is a matter of licensing these days.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for a big traffic load, but its management is not very easy. FortiGate is better in terms of management and user-friendliness.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

NJ
Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible solution and can be easily integrated with your network hardware

• "I have found the stability of this solution really good. This is why I use it."
  • "Comparing Cisco solution to others, it is expensive, it would be better for it to be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I am doing research on the product and testing it for security.

What is most valuable?

It is a flexible solution and can be easily integrated with your network hardware. It is a very useful product. This product is very popular in the industry and the network security environment is good.

What needs improvement?

It would be a benefit to improve the integration with other similar products from other vendors on the market, for example, Huawei or Fortinet products. Comparing Cisco solution to others, it is expensive, it would be better for it to be cheaper.

I have been using the solution for three to four years.

I have found the stability of this solution really good, this is why I use it.

The product is scalable.

The customer service is really helpful, they do their part in keeping our organization's network from outside intrusion.

I have used other solutions in the past, such as Cisco Firepower. I find Cisco products to be superior.

The solution is normally easy to install but if the user has more requirements, as in a more complicated setup, it could take more time.

I did the deployment myself.

The product is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I suggest this solution to my colleagues because it is a great product and is really stable. When looking at other products in use in other companies this product is superior.

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall ten out of ten.

PC
ICT Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
Pretty stable, but it needs better reporting tools and improvements to the user interface

• "This product is pretty stable."
  • "I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done."

What is our primary use case?

The number one use for this product is security.

What needs improvement?

The management of the application can be improved with enhancements to the user interface.

I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done. In fact, this is one of the reasons that we want to move away from Cisco. Better reporting tools would be an improvement.

We have been using Cisco ASA for approximately seven years.

This product is pretty stable.

Our current model is reaching its end of life, so it's not very scalable at the moment. We don't plan to increase usage.

It is currently providing protection for about 30 users.

The technical support is with our solution provider. I would say that it's average, rather than very good.

The initial setup is complex. I would say that it took a maximum of a week to deploy.

We had a service provider who took care of the installation for us.

This is an expensive product. We pay about €2,000 ($2,400 USD) per year for licensing.

Technical support is in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, Cisco ASA is not a product that I recommend. My advice is that people should look at other solutions because there are other products available on the market that are just as good, if not even better.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JG
Gerente de Unidad at Redescomm, C.A.
Comprehensive port blocking capability, good support, and stable

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to block almost all of the ports."
  • "The graphical interface should be improved to make the configuration easier, to do things with a single click."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Cisco implementor in Venezuela.

Our primary use is to deal with incoming access. We open ports for web servers or special applications that our clients have inside their network. We also use it to provide site-to-site VPN access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to block almost all of the ports.

All of the commands work the same way, whether in the graphical interface or when using the command line.

Cisco products have a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

The graphical interface should be improved to make the configuration easier, to do things with a single click.

There should be better integration with open-source products because some of our clients use them. It would be helpful if they integrated well.

I have been using the Cisco ASA Firewall for almost 10 years.

This is a very stable product.

The scalability is good and it can be used for organizations of all sizes.

Technical support is good and we haven't had any problems with documentation that is provided.

I also have experience with pfSense.

The initial setup is easy.

We have evaluated various open-source solutions for our clients.

The main difference with Cisco is that it is a big company, and their products are very easy to use. They have the best routers, switches, and firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco ASA is a product that I can recommend for its stability.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Cisco ASA Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.