PC
ICT Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
Pretty stable, but it needs better reporting tools and improvements to the user interface

• "This product is pretty stable."
  • "I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done."

What is our primary use case?

The number one use for this product is security.

What needs improvement?

The management of the application can be improved with enhancements to the user interface.

I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done. In fact, this is one of the reasons that we want to move away from Cisco. Better reporting tools would be an improvement.

We have been using Cisco ASA for approximately seven years.

This product is pretty stable.

Our current model is reaching its end of life, so it's not very scalable at the moment. We don't plan to increase usage.

It is currently providing protection for about 30 users.

The technical support is with our solution provider. I would say that it's average, rather than very good.

The initial setup is complex. I would say that it took a maximum of a week to deploy.

We had a service provider who took care of the installation for us.

This is an expensive product. We pay about €2,000 ($2,400 USD) per year for licensing.

Technical support is in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, Cisco ASA is not a product that I recommend. My advice is that people should look at other solutions because there are other products available on the market that are just as good, if not even better.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JG
Gerente de Unidad at Redescomm, C.A.
Comprehensive port blocking capability, good support, and stable

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to block almost all of the ports."
  • "The graphical interface should be improved to make the configuration easier, to do things with a single click."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Cisco implementor in Venezuela.

Our primary use is to deal with incoming access. We open ports for web servers or special applications that our clients have inside their network. We also use it to provide site-to-site VPN access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to block almost all of the ports.

All of the commands work the same way, whether in the graphical interface or when using the command line.

Cisco products have a lot of features.

What needs improvement?

The graphical interface should be improved to make the configuration easier, to do things with a single click.

There should be better integration with open-source products because some of our clients use them. It would be helpful if they integrated well.

I have been using the Cisco ASA Firewall for almost 10 years.

This is a very stable product.

The scalability is good and it can be used for organizations of all sizes.

Technical support is good and we haven't had any problems with documentation that is provided.

I also have experience with pfSense.

The initial setup is easy.

We have evaluated various open-source solutions for our clients.

The main difference with Cisco is that it is a big company, and their products are very easy to use. They have the best routers, switches, and firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco ASA is a product that I can recommend for its stability.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vincent Mulama
Systems Administrator\Ag. IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
It secures my network and is very stable

• "It is a very stable product. I've not had any issues with it. It is a super product, and I won't need to change it anytime soon."
  • "Its configuration through GUI as well as CLI can be improved and made easier."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Cisco ASA as my firewall. I use it for security purposes to block access and for VPN. It is on the perimeter, so basically, it secures my network.

What is most valuable?

It is a very stable product. I've not had any issues with it. It is a super product, and I won't need to change it anytime soon.

What needs improvement?

Its configuration through GUI as well as CLI can be improved and made easier.

I have been using this solution for more than five years. I am using the Cisco ASA 5505 model.

It is very stable.

I manage it myself. If I can't, then I get somebody else. I don't have any support from Cisco.

The initial setup was slow. It took a day or two.

Unfortunately, there were not too many skilled guys who could install it. I had to get a third party for installation and configuration. I had to get somebody qualified in Cisco Security, and he was the only person who could actually configure it well.

I just bought it off the shelf, and I'm using it with my previous one, so I have not spent that much.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. You just have to learn how to configure it. It is a Cisco solution, and there is not much to be improved. I plan to keep using it and expand its usage.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

WM
Consulting Engineer at IV4
Reseller
Stable, good technical support, and the VPN feature works well

• "The most valuable features are the provision of internet access, AnyConnect, and VPN capabilities."
  • "I have worked with the new FTD models and they have more features than the ASA line."

What is our primary use case?

Our company sells Cisco Firewalls and the ASA is one of the products that we implement for our clients. The primary use cases are internet access, AnyConnect, and VPN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the provision of internet access, AnyConnect, and VPN capabilities. Because I primarily deal with the VPN functionality, I don't get very deep into the IPS or other capabilities.

What needs improvement?

I have worked with the new FTD models and they have more features than the ASA line.

We have been dealing with Cisco ASA since about 2002.

I am very happy with its stability and the product in general.

In our organization, we only have one in our data center that all of our people pass through. However, I've got clients that have thousands running through large Cisco firewalls.

Cisco's technical support has always been excellent. They have great support.

I have dealt with four or five others, but so far, I have the most experience with Cisco.

Recently, I worked with the new FTD 1000 or 1100 series, and they do a lot.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment. Sometimes, it's brand new whereas other times, I install a replacement for an existing Cisco device or some other product.

I am in charge of installing and configuring our Cisco Firewall solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

VS
Lead System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Feature-rich VPN connection, scalable, stable, and has perfect support

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for the site-to-site VPN tunnels and VPN Connections.

What is most valuable?

I like all of the features.

What needs improvement?

It is my understanding that they are in the process of discontinuing this device. They are in the process of shutting down this ASA series and will continue with Firepower. In the next release, it could be more secure.

I have been using Cisco ASA Firewall for six years. We are not using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. I have not had any issues.

This product is scalable. We have 100 users in our organization. We will not…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, it could be more secure.

I have been using Cisco ASA Firewall for six years.

We are not using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. I have not had any issues.

This product is scalable. We have 100 users in our organization.

We will not continue to use this solution. We will be upgrading to either Firepower or Check Point.

Technical support is perfect.

I was using Dell SonicWall before Cisco ASA Firewall.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's easy to install and it doesn't take a lot of time for the initial configuration.

It took an hour to install.

I completed the installation myself. We did not use a vendor or vendor team.

There are licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. The technology is old and they should move to Firepower or NextGen Firewall.

I would rate the Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

WS
IT Consultant at Hostlink IT Solutions
Stable and easy to configure with useful high-availability and remote VPN features

What is our primary use case?

We provide IT solutions. We provide solutions to our customers based on their requirements. We support them from the beginning and do the installation and configuration in the head office and front office. We installed Cisco ASA to support a customer in a WAN environment. They used it for site-to-site VPN and remote VPN. They used it for accessing remote office locations via the remote VPN feature. They had Cisco ASA 5500.

How has it helped my organization?

It made our customer's network more secure. They also have customers outside the office, and they are able to use the remote VPN feature to log in securely.

What is most valuable?

The high-availability and remote VPN features are most valuable. It is easy to configure. It has a GUI and a CLI. …

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The high-availability and remote VPN features are most valuable.

It is easy to configure. It has a GUI and a CLI.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't have Layer 7 security.

I used this solution for maybe a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

For any issues, we contact the local support. They are very easy to deal with.

I have also worked with Fortigate.

It was easy to configure. The site-to-site VPN configuration didn't take too much time. It was complete in three to four hours.

Its price is moderate. It is not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall a nine out of 10.

AA
Sr. Network Engineer at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
The technical support is good, but there are issues with managing the client

• "The best features are stability and scalability."
  • "You shouldn't have to use the ASDM to help manage the client."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco ASAv as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The best features are stability and scalability.

What needs improvement?

There are other solutions that are better such as Palo Alto.

The management test needs improvement. The ACM requires Java and you need to know which version of Java is compatible with your Cisco version. It needs a client.

The pricing could be reduced.

I would like to see the issue with the client resolved. You shouldn't have to use the ASDM to help manage the client. Also, it should be subscription-based similar to Palo Alto.

I have been working with Cisco ASAv for approximately eight years.

The stability is good, we have not had any issues.

Cisco ASAv is scalable.

We are satisfied with technical support. They are good.

We are also using Palo Alto. It's very easy to manage, especially the UI system. You can do anything you want.

Cisco is considered to be an expensive solution.

When comparing to other vendors, it's quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco ASAv a six out of ten.

TM
Group Information Technology Manager at a mining and metals company with 201-500 employees
Provides great VPN and firewall features; very stable

• "VPN and firewall are good features."
  • "Lacks a good graphical user interface."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the group information technology manager and we are customers of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for me is the VPN and I also like the firewall.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, we'd like to see a good graphical user interface. I'd also like to see the initial setup simplified. In comparison, if I were to implement the Fortigate firewall from scratch, it's a fairly simple set up. That is not the case with the ASA firewall, where you really need to have the skill and know what you're doing.

I've been using this solution for 18 years.

The solution is stable, we haven't had any issues. If we need something, we go to a consultant. In terms of product stability, it works very well.

We haven't made any changes since implementing and we haven't tried scaling.

We get our support from the resellers, not from Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

For those who have the technical know-how with Cisco products, I would recommend going with the ASA firewall, but if you're new to the field and running a smaller business, deployment will be complicated.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Cisco ASA Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.