Cisco Catalyst Reviews

industry
rating
Lead Software QA / DevOps Engineer
Aug 02 2018

What is most valuable?

Stability. We have many Catalyst switches now, and they work without any downtime. We work with government companies and we can't allow the business to stand idle.

How has it helped my organization?

When we started deploying Cisco switches in our new office, we were able to deploy them very quickly. There were no problems at the configuration stage and this allowed us to start work as quickly as possible.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if they added some machine learning which would allow us to abandon the rigid rules for processing traffic priorities and, at the same time, save money, because equipment with similar logic (like DPI) is much more expensive.... more»
Network Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 22 2017

What do you think of Cisco Catalyst?

Valuable Features The most valuable features, to me, are CDP, VTP, ACLs, and routing. • Improvements to My Organization These products help me dissect my network based on the users within a particular location. They've also provided me the capability to separate network traffic as necessary. • Room for Improvement As a user, I would like to see the Layer 2 Switches to have NBAR capabilities as well. It would be nice if the new ISRs have firewall capabilities as well. • Use of Solution I've been using these products since 2008. I have a Cisco ISR 2821 and 2911, Cisco Catalyst 4500, 2960 and 3750 Series Switches. • Stability Issues No stability issues were experienced. • Scalability Issues It would be nice to see these products have built-in wireless access...

Have A Question About LAN Switching?

Our experts can help. 288,073 professionals have used our research on 6,462 solutions.
Senior Communications Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 09 2018

What is most valuable?

* Very stable and dependable switches. * The wide range of features will be enough for almost any LAN environment. * The CLI is pretty much the same across all switching and routing platforms from Cisco, making deployment of new switches,... more»

How has it helped my organization?

This platform has enabled reliable connectivity across the entire campus network. Great performance and stability ensure that the network is available where you need it. The 802.1X port security and other security features work well and help... more»

What needs improvement?

I have found no major drawbacks in the Catalyst platforms. The price is high, but for seemingly the best LAN switching platform available, coupled with Cisco's excellent support, the price doesn't seem to be too much.
Network Engineer
Aug 08 2018

What do you think of Cisco Catalyst?

Primary Use Case AWS Direct Connect. • Valuable Features BGP Familiar CLI We have used BGP over IPSec to AWS but there were problems with bandwidth. I migrated to the Catalyst C3850 because AWS Direct Connect doesn't need IPSec. We have to use the QoS (CBWFQ) function. I understand the function of QoS and it is easy to use. • Use of Solution One to three years. • Stability Issues It's a stable product. • Customer Service and Technical Support Technical support is average. • Initial Setup The initial setup was easy. • Pricing, License Cost and Setup The pricing could be better. • Other Advice I would suggest looking into the Cisco Nexus 92160YC-X. It has a lower price than the C3850 and high performance, but the CLI is different.
User
Senior Technical Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 16 2018

What do you think of Cisco Catalyst?

Primary Use Case Switching environments, as part of a LAN management solution, where the customer needs to build, operate, and maintain Layer 2 and Layer 3 networks for internal use. • Improvements to My Organization It uses many protocols to ease operations, such as CDP and the interoperability of other Cisco products. • Valuable Features Perpetual POE is a valuable feature, because when the switch reboots, access points do not. This helps minimize infrastructure downtime and impacts internals. • Room for Improvement Services should be improved. The delivery of the product lead time should be improved as well. • Use of Solution More than five years. • Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing The price should go down instead of up.
See 2 more reviews

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Cisco Catalyst

Have A Question About LAN Switching?

Cisco Catalyst Questions

Cisco Catalyst Projects By Members

Cisco Catalyst Consultants

What is Cisco Catalyst?

Web-based CRM that manages events, sales, marketing campaigns & contacts, offers customer history, case management, email integration.
Also known as
Catalyst
Cisco Catalyst customers
Afni, Anilana Hotels and Resorts, Baylor Scott & White Health, Beachbody, Bellevue, Del Papa Distributing, Explorer Pipeline, Mindtree, Omaha World Herald, Radio 538, Sony Corporation, Telecom Italia, Telenor Arena