SZ
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable technology that improves businesses, is easy to install and scale

• "As far as technology is concerned, Cisco improves the client-to-client business."
  • "Cisco should support all of the features that are included with the suite."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide stability between sites. Also for our customers who have multiple branches, Cisco routers and switches are perfect for them.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Cisco should support all of the features that are included with the suite.

I have been using Cisco products for more than six years.

I am using the latest version of Cisco Catalyst Switches.

They are very stable.

Cisco Catalyst switches are definitely scalable.

There are a number of models and scalability depends on the requirements. You have to consider how far you want to scale your organization with the different branches.

I work with many different organizations and many different users. Some have 6,000 users whereas others have 3,000.

Technical support is good. Cisco offers the best possible support.

As for the new products that Cisco has acquired it's okay, but not as good.

Previously, I have used Linksys and Meraki Switches.

It's easy to install.

If you have clear knowledge and design, it's pretty easy to implement.

The time it takes to deploy depends on how large the site is and a number of things. If everything is available it can be configured in minutes.

The size of the technical team depends on the installation and what the customer requires. For the deployment, if you have different sites you will need more people, a larger team. It also depends on the timelines and how soon you have to hand over the project to the customer.

Essentially, it depends on the circumstances.

Price is an area that can be improved. Cisco is pioneering technology and they are definitely charging for their technology.

It would be great for the user if Cisco lowered the prices for their routers and switches.

The price is not really in the market. When the new product line arrives, it's still very expensive. The product has new features, new capabilities, and definitely costs more than the previous one.

The price could be cheaper. Many other vendors provide the main features with lower pricing and better performance than Cisco.

Overall, Cisco prices are high.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to continue using this product and would recommend them to others.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a ten out of ten.

VK
CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It is pretty much stable, and there is a lot of improvement in the network segment

• "There is a lot of improvement in the network segment after replacing the older switches. I have not seen any kind of issue with these switches since deployment. They are pretty much stable."
  • "Cisco can definitely improve the training part. They can provide more training related to configuration."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for connectivity for my enterprise users. My entire platform is on Cisco, and we have different plans.

What is most valuable?

There is a lot of improvement in the network segment after replacing the older switches.

What needs improvement?

We have recently done an upgrade. We installed these switches around one year ago.

It is a pretty much stable product.

It is scalable. We have 1,500 users.

Technical support is managed by the vendor so far. The vendor is taking care of any issues.

The entire implementation was done by the vendor, but we are managing it in-house. We have a Cisco-certified vendor to do all kinds of implementation and train our people. The overall project was for six months, but because of Covid, it got delayed. We have finished it may be a month back. We have four different locations. The vendor deployed technical manpower of six to eight members for each location.

We had just one issue with a switch, and the replacement was done within a week. The connectivity was not going through, and it was giving packet drops. The issue was identified, but because of Covid, there was a delay from Cisco. Our vendor was able to ensure that there was no installation delay. Because we had 3% to 4% stock over and above the inventory for installation, they used the switch from that particular inventory, and later on, they provided the switch within a week.

I don't see any price issue with Cisco. Whenever you buy a quality product, you always have a mindset of paying the premium amount.  For any good product, you pay a premium amount, but that also means you are going to recover that premium over a period of time in terms of performance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a pretty good product. We don't see any issue with Cisco Catalyst Switches. We have a license of five years as per our current agreement with Cisco. We plan to keep using these.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Highly stable, great software and hardware integration, and helpful technical support

• "The Cisco software ties all the hardware together better than the competition."
  • "Cisco Catalyst Switches do not have an open architecture and you have to buy into the Cisco architecture to be able to use them."

What is our primary use case?

We have customers that use Cisco Catalyst Switches for SMB, enterprises, schools, colleges, and universities. We have worked with almost everything except the federal government.

What is most valuable?

The Cisco software ties all the hardware together better than the competition. Cisco used to license their IOS software to HPE for their own switches, which were decent switches as well. HPE has been through a bunch of different changes over the years and now has Aruba switches. 3Com was part of HP for a while and the ProCurve was the original HP switch that I remember.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Catalyst Switches do not have an open architecture and you have to buy into the Cisco architecture to be able to use them.

I have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for approximately 20 years.

The solution is extremely stable and reliable, this has been proven from many years of use.

Cisco Catalyst Switches can be used in any sized company. We have customers in small to enterprise companies, with our largest being General Reinsurance. Multi-national companies would benefit the most from the use of Cisco switches. This is why the international community likes this solution because it can be used anywhere in the world.

The paid technical support is very good.

I have used many other switches, such as HPE, Juniper, and Aruba.

The installation is a definite effort to get everything set up and working correctly. They do not work out of the box. However, these days they have improved a lot and the new Cisco solutions today would be much easier to put together than the ones in the past.

The cost of Cisco switches is a little more expensive than the competition. However, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." If you want a reliable solution and other benefits, Cisco Catalyst Switches are worth the money.

There are additional costs for support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for others looking to implement this solution would be to work with a reseller, such as us, that has a good history of working with Cisco and can give the customer a good short and long-term plan.

I rate Cisco Catalyst Switches an eight out of ten.

JO
Network Support Engineer at a government with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up with good support and excellent stability

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The price of the product is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ethernet WAN connectivity, LAN connectivity, wireless, then integration with other third-party solutions. That's all we use it for, for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

It is very stable and the performance has been very reliable.

The installation process is fairly straightforward.

Technical support has been helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution should work to become more scalable.

The price of the product is very expensive.

I've used the solution for a long time. It's likely been 15 years or more. It's well over a decade at this point.

The stability is very good. The performance is great. It doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches.

The solution is scalable enough. It could be better.

We have around 2,000 users on the switches currently.

Technical support has been good overall. We've been in touch in the past. They were helpful and responsive and we've been satisfied with them in general.

We did not previously use a different solution. We've been using Cisco switches for a very long time.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. If I need to do a new deployment, for example, we just go to the store, get a new one, and install it. We have 40 right now. The installation is very easy.

Due to the fact that we have another of the Cisco products in our environment, Cisco Prime, it helps to deploy switches faster. It's very easy. It doesn't take much time to deploy.

We have five engineers that are able to handle any deployment or maintenance.

I was able to handle the implementation process myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

We do find the cost to be quite high. They should work to lower it if possible.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product itself at a nine out of ten. It's been very good so far and we are satisfied with its capabilities. The cost is quite high, however.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

AI
Manager, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Strong features, easy to manage, and excellent support

• "All features are very strong. It is very easy to manage. It is also certified and popular. Cisco has come up with a new management console to manage the switches. I still haven't tried it, but in my opinion, this is the best way forward. You can use software to manage the switches instead of the common line configuration. You can manage it through software, which is very easy."
  • "It can have more security features to secure the access layer."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to connect our end users. It is used for DMZ connections behind the firewalls and campus network.

What is most valuable?

All features are very strong. It is very easy to manage. It is also certified and popular.

What needs improvement?

It can have more security features to secure the access layer.

I have been using Catalyst 9300 Series for the last two years. It is a new model. I have been using previous models, such as Catalyst 3750, 3560, and 2960, for maybe more than 15 years.

It is very stable. You just install it and forget about it for years. I had a switch that was running for more than 11 years without a singular restart. That switch had a running time of more than 11 years.

It is scalable. We have 400 users.

Technical support is great. I was talking to one of my colleagues just two hours back about Cisco technical support. They are brilliant and excellent. If we have any hardware failure, we get it fixed the second day. We get multiple engineers working on the case if it is a critical issue. They are really supportive.

I have been using only Cisco solutions from the beginning. It has been more than 20 years now.

We plan to keep using this solution. We are going to refresh it with the latest model. We are in the process of acquiring the new model and replacing all obsolete switches with the new Catalyst 9K series. The order will be placed maybe next week.

Its setup was easy. It took an hour to configure each switch.

I deployed it myself. We have three network engineers to manage the entire network.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product to other users. I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a ten out of ten.

FB
Manager Customer Engineering South (Presales) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust hardware with good documentation and good support

• "Cisco provides very good support services."
  • "The pricing could be better. Cisco is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

LAN access, distribution and core.

How has it helped my organization?

We are Cisco partner and sell Cisco solutions, we have sold this platform for last 20 years. Its quite robust and work in worst environmental conditions.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the switches, the uptime and the robustness of the hardware are the most valuable aspects.

Cisco devices are quite good. They do not fail specially the Catalyst Switches.

The solution offers quite a robust infrastructure, hardware-wise.

Cisco provides very good support services.

Cisco is improving and investing in R&D right now. They are investing a lot in research, and keep improving their products.

For example, they have recently launched the SDA, SDWAN, ACI etc. Software Defined-Solutions, in which you can automate your operations and enhance your operations, and avoid manual stuff.

What needs improvement?

With their constant innovation and investment in R&D, there isn't really very much the solution isn't lacking or building upon in terms of features.

The pricing could be better.

We've been using Catalyst for long time. It's a very old Cisco brand, I have been deploying catalyst switches for last 20 years.

The solution is extremely stable.

You can scale the solution quite well. It's good in that regard.

We're quite happy with their support services. They also offer very good documentation.

Since we are reseller / partner we sell different vendors solutions.

The initial setup is very easy.

On top of that, they have complete documentation available on their website. Whatever scenario you are deploying, you can search for an example of it on their website. That can help guild you during the process.

We are reseller / partner.

licensing model is changing from perpetual licenses to subscription based licensing. Subscription based licensing model is cheaper but reoccur every year or 3, 5 or 7 years.

Not relevant.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Wilber Calle
Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with good routing capabilities and a fairly easy setup

• "The product offers very good routing and ranking capabilities."
  • "The product could offer more integrations with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution specifically for our internal network - for our users and some servers. We also have servers on the cloud as well, although largely we are on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The VLANs portion of the solution is very good.

The product offers very good routing and ranking capabilities.  It allows for better channels.

The initial setup is very simple. An organization shouldn't have too much trouble setting everything up.

We've found the solution to be rather stable. It offers good performance.

What needs improvement?

There aren't any features that are lacking from my perspective. It's pretty complete.

The solution itself is quite expensive. It would be ideal if they could lower the pricing a bit.

The product could offer more integrations with other solutions.

I have had experience with the solution since around 2000. In 2010 I began on the sales-side of the product. Therefore, I have many, many years of experience with the product at this point.

The solution offers very good stability. We've found it to be reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. It also doesn't seem to have bugs or glitches that affect its performance.

The scalability depends on the layer you are talking about. Layer 2 is not scalable, however, Layer 3 switches offer very good scalability.

We have about 50 people currently using the solution.

We found the implementation to be very simple, and straightforward. It was easy. There weren't any complexities, therefore, we didn't face any difficulty when setting everything up.

Deployment takes a few hours.

The pricing of the product is quite high. It's not the cheapest option on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We're Cisco partners. We have a business relationship with the company.

I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. Over the years, I've found that it works very well.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at a nine.

GM
Project Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Offers good, solid hardware and security, with great performance

• "The hardware and the security are the product's valuable features"
  • "The cost of this product is very high and not all companies can afford it."

What is our primary use case?

We generally work with small, medium and sometimes government organizations. We do layer 3 switches, as well as 9200 as layer 2 switches. I'm an integrator and we are customers of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

We don't use any specific protocols. For us, the hardware and the security are the product's valuable features and performance of this solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this product is very high and not all companies can afford it. Government entities can but corporations these days are hesitant to get Cisco. They're looking for other options that can cut their costs by 30% or 40% from the cost of Cisco Catalyst Switches. I think the command line in the platform could be improved because it's divided and can complicate things, maybe they can go direct to GUI. Using all the commands is a bit difficult.

Cisco is stable. There are no issues with outages or integration. Once it's up and running, configuration is okay, and once it's on the live network, it's fine, no issues.

Scalability is not an issue. Cisco is their own market and it works.

If I have Smart Net, I get good technical support. Whenever I have an issue I contact them. They're very good.

Initial setup can be a bit complex depending on the organization. Deployment time depends on the configuration. I did an installation with around 44 switches of Cisco 3850, which took me around one week to do the installation, configuration, and handover. It depends on the number of switches and configuration required.

When we propose Cisco to a company, the only issue they are concerned with is price and the yearly subscription. You have to buy Smart Net to get a warranty and that is also expensive.

Cisco is similar to other solutions such as D-Link. They have the same features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product an eight out of 10.

Download our free Cisco Catalyst Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.