MA
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, easy to install, and the support is fair

• "I like the flexibility of this product."
  • "Cisco is a bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our network.

I am a system engineer, and we sell the products to our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility of this product.

What needs improvement?

There is a complexity with Cisco.

They should have unified software that includes all of the licenses. We should not have to pay for different software on the same platform. Each one has a specific use or a specific feature.

If you need dynamic routing then you have to purchase the software, if you need basic IP routing, you need different software. Why do you need this type of complexity?

They have their own propriety protocols while other competitors go with other standards and are easy. Cisco is a bit complex.

I have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for 15 years.

We use several different versions, not just one. If they have different software for universal enterprise services, they will have specific features to use for the specific use case.

Cisco Catalyst Switches is a stable product.

The scalability of this solution needs to be improved. It is not very scalable. For example, if you want to enable the features such as VSS, you have to add other modules and hardware.

Other competitors have this feature available from the beginning.

Technical support is fair.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

I was not involved in the installation but it is approximately five or ten minutes to deploy.

There is no licensing fee. All of the features are available on the switch from day one.

It's not a complicated license; you have to buy a license for different services or features. This is different.

Most of the features are available without additional hardware.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco to other users, along with several other products.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a nine out of ten.

BB
Managing Director at Aster Networks
Stable, very reliable, and easily scalable

• "The configuration is easy."
  • "The solution is quite expensive for our clients. It's a pain point for some companies. They should work to reduce the price."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for networking and the UCS.

What is most valuable?

The solution is extremely reliable as a product. The clients very much appreciate that.

The configuration is easy.

The solution is customizable.

We've found the solution to be stable.

A company can scale a solution easily.

Technical support has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for a long while. I've used the solution basically since its inception.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We typically deploy the solution to medium to large-scale enterprises.

The solution scales well. It's not hard for a company to expand it as they need to.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. We've found them to be helpful and responsive. They are quite helpful and very polite. We're very satisfied with the level of support we receive.

I'm not a technical person. I didn't actually handle the initial installation for our organization.

There is little to no ongoing maintenance required once it is implemented. I'd say you have 1% to 2% of effort going into maintenance.

We've found the solution to be quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a premium partner with Cisco.

We use various versions of the solution. It depends on the client. We have multiple clients and each instance is unique.

It's deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. We've mostly been quite happy with the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RK
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to configure, scalable, and stable

• "We find the product very easy to configure."
  • "The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our server. It's a network solution as well.

What is most valuable?

It's a very popular solution.

We find the product very easy to configure.

The stability is very good.

The product can scale quite well.

What needs improvement?

Cisco is basically the number one switch in the market. It makes it hard for other options to compete.

The solution is expensive. Sometimes we will choose some cheaper options even though they are not as stable as Cisco's offering. However, if it is a small project, it may not be worth paying Cisco prices to get it done.

I've used the solution for two or three years at this point.

I have found the solution to be very stable. The performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The scalability has been excellent. A company shouldn't have any issues with expanding it if they need to.

We have three to five people that directly work with this product.

We already use so many Catalyst switches. I'm not sure if we intend to add any more.

We don't really need any support as we have a network engineer on staff that can help us troubleshoot if we have issues.

I can't speak to the initial setup. In terms of the installation process, we have a network engineer that will help us to install the switches when we need them.

The solution is expensive. There are other cheaper switches on the market. However, they may not necessarily be as stable as this option.

When you buy the Cisco, the price already includes a software license.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It might be the latest.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been pleased with its capabilities overall.

KW
Director of Product Management at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, good scalability, and easy to configure through the command-line interface

• "One of the most valuable features is the MatchBox Switch."
  • "They need to simplify the Web GUI and make it easier to use, and more intuitive for the users."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for AV, Audio-Video applications, over IP solutions. It's to forward Audio-Video IP packets based on the ITMP protocol. I also needed a POE port to power the transmitters and receivers.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the MatchBox Switch.

What needs improvement?

I used to use the CLI, the command line, but some users may want to use the Web GUI.

They need to simplify the Cisco 2960 Web GUI control, but not the entire version or the functionality for the Web GUI control.

IT people will most often use the CLI to configure the Cisco Switch.

I have more than ten years of experience working with Cisco Switches.

It's stable. The Catalyst Switches are reliable.

The scalability is good.

I have not contacted Cisco technical support.

There are several training videos available on YouTube.

If you Google, you can very easily gather material or training videos on how to configure the Cisco switch.

The Cisco website itself is too complicated for the user and there are too many things on it. If the users are not familiar with Cisco, it's very difficult to find useful information on the Cisco website.

In general, I don't use the Cisco website. I just Google the Cisco user manual or training video on YouTube to learn how to configure some features.

If you are familiar with the Cisco Switch, it is pretty straightforward to configure it using the CLI.

If you are not familiar, in general, you will use the Web GUI.

What other advice do I have?

There are several YouTube videos available to help configure the Cisco switches. It is very easy to configure them.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches and eight out of ten. It's a pretty good switch.

ZP
Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Advanced customization and manageability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for a full range of layer two and only limited set of layer three services. We are a backbone company and we provide a public service. The traffic of millions of users traverse Cisco switches, but they are not within our company. It's a public service. We plan to increase our usage of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The operating system is great.

What needs improvement?

They need to implement sFlow, other than that, I can't think of anything else that needs to be improved — I am happy.

We have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for roughly 10 years.

Cisco Catalyst Switches are very stable. We've been using them for 10…

What is our primary use case?

We plan to increase our usage of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The operating system is great.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for roughly 10 years.

Cisco Catalyst Switches are very stable. We've been using them for 10 years without any issues.

We use an old model, they're not designed to be scalable. But in general, the Catalyst networking suite is scalable.

For our application which is rather simple, we are using only 5% of the features that Cisco Catalyst switches offer. We haven't encountered any problems and therefore, we have not had to call technical support.

We used to use other products, but our CTO loves Cisco.

The initial setup is straightforward and very fast. In total, the whole installation process took two days.

We deployed this solution by ourselves.

3-years

The price could always be lower.

Arista, Fiber Store, Dell, Extreme Networks

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Catalyst Switches a rating of ten.

Other
AH
Network and Security Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and familiar to local engineers

• "Catalyst switches are highly stable and easy to use. It's a technology well known by most engineers."
  • "It is kind of expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Catalyst 9200 series as a network switch and the 9500 as a core switch. We sometimes use a 9300 for the distribution switch.

What is most valuable?

Catalyst switches are highly stable and easy to use. It's a technology well known by most engineers.

We are an enterprise end-user. We also consult for other government entities and recommend using certain technologies to them. I've been working at this business and using Catalyst Switches for a year now.

Catalyst switches are highly scalable.

I'm satisfied with support from Cisco and the vendor as well as their partners here in Egypt.

It is a straightforward installation. You don't need anyone to install Catalyst Switches for you. You just add it to your network and then do the installation and configuration as well as the pre-setup preparations. It doesn't take a lot of time. You take the switch from the box and put it in the network, then configure it directly. The switch will only take about 30 minutes to configure.

Cisco licenses are yearly. A single 9000 series Catalyst switch is about 75,000 Egyptian pounds. It is kind of expensive. But compared to other switches, it will save you in the long run. You need to hire specialized engineers who know how to operate those devices, and some of them are rarer in Egypt, like FortiSwitch or HPE Switch. Most engineers know how to use Cisco Catalyst. You would need to hire a specialist engineer and train them, and that will cost money. There are other cheaper technologies, but for Cisco, the price is expected.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Catalyst Switches 10 out of 10. I would recommend it. This is a leading technology, and the price is reasonable, especially the Catalyst switches I mentioned. Other types of Catalyst switches are more expensive, but the ones we use are more affordable.

Ravikumar Subbiah
IT MANGER PAN-INDIA at Escon Elevator Private Limited
Flexible, easy to use, and offers good performance

• "The product is very robust."
  • "The price is something we would definitely like improved. It would be nice if it was more economical."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. We've found that it isn't overly technical and is, in fact, quite user-friendly.

The product is extremely flexible.

The stability of the solution has been very good. We've found the performance to be very reliable.

The initial setup is mostly pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex.

The product is very robust.

What needs improvement?

The configuration setup is a little more complex if you go into detail.

I've been using the solution for about four years or so. It's been a while. I've had some time with the technology and am pretty comfortable with it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We like the performance. It's reliable.

We have about 50 people using the solution currently.

I previously Juniper switches. I am not using them anymore. I was using them about three years ago.

The initial setup is okay. It's not overly difficult. The configuration can be a bit tricky, however, depending on the complexity involved.

The pricing could be improved.  It's a bit high right now.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of my colleagues are using Cisco switches. I often touch base with them to share know-how on the technology.

I'm not using the latest version of the solution. I'm using an older version right now.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. We've been quite pleased with the solution overall.

I would recommend the solution to other users, companies, and organizations. It's quite robust and flexible.

EG
Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Useful for core switching, very stable, and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Catalyst Switches are more for core switching because they are enterprise solutions. We mostly use Cisco for all of our infrastructure, so these switches are used everywhere as core switches.

What is most valuable?

These switches are very stable. We haven't had any problems. We also have some old switches that are working for almost ten years.

What needs improvement?

Their price should be cheaper. We lose a lot of work because of the price that they have.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

They are very stable.

We have a hundred users and maybe a hundred other…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

They are very stable.

We have a hundred users and maybe a hundred other ports for connecting servers with each other.

I have opened a case with them for the FirePOWER Services, not Cisco Catalyst Switches, and it is the first time that I haven't got a response. It has been a week since I've sent the request, which was just a question, but I don't have any response so far. For the previous cases that I had with tech support, they were very quick.

If you have experience in working with Cisco solutions, the initial setup is easy. Otherwise, it may be complicated.

The deployment doesn't take a long time. We already have the guidelines, and we have been doing it and using Cisco for a long time. It usually takes a maximum of one hour to configure the switches. Two people will be enough for deploying these switches.

These switches are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches to others. We plan to keep using them.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a ten out of ten. We are happy with them.

Download our free Cisco Catalyst Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.