GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Is easy to configure and resolves our internal problems

• "The most valuable feature is the interface, it's easy to configure. The command line uses a switch that gives us security."
  • "They should also have a graphic interface for the switches too without the command line."

What is our primary use case?

We have an Academy, we know how to manage it. We have the knowledge to manage it and it gives us security. We can configure the switch to resolve our internal problems. We can use one switch for five to six years.

It's used for our processor, a small data center, and we have our network with at least 500 users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface, it's easy to configure. The command line uses a switch that gives us security.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, they should lower the price. It's too expensive.

I have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for ten years.

The stability is good.

We have 500 users.

It requires us to have at least 10 technicians. Five technicians and other administrative staff.

In the future, we need to do disaster recovery in the cloud. We are working on-premise and our future is to use it on the cloud for our disaster recovery.

We have a contract with a company that gives us support.

The initial setup was not very complex.

We used a consultant for the implementation.

Licensing is on a yearly basis. We usually spend up to $20,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it because it's a good solution that gives you security and is easy to use.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches an eight out of ten. They respond to all of our needs.

DH
Head of Project Management at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A reliable brand with good performance that's easy to manage

• "We'd like Cisco to integrate with other solutions, including their own."

What is our primary use case?

We're an implementor of the product. We provide this product to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the management.

Our clients really trust the brand.

The quality of the product is excellent. It offers great performance.

What needs improvement?

We'd like Cisco to integrate better with other solutions, including their own.

I've been using the solution for the last two years or so.

The stability of the solution is very good. We haven't had any stability issues. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's good.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand, they can do so easily.

We typically deal with medium-sized companies.

The technical support of the solution is good. The clients are covered under warranty. Cisco is very responsible when it comes to covering any issues for them.

The documentation is quite good for the solution as well. It helps people understand the product.

We also use HP and Extreme Networks. We work with a variety of solutions. We don't exclusively work with Cisco. Cisco does, however, have one of the highest product qualities on offer.

What other advice do I have?

We help our clients decide which product to use. We use Cisco and a wide variety of other products. We're implementors.

When it comes to working with Cisco, customers are consistently offered a quality product. Many of our clients need a quality product with good performance. This solution is very reliable which is why we work with it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
    542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    DP
    Sr. Project Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable, with good virtual LAN, and outstanding support

• "This technology is a completely mature technology and I don't think anything needs to be changed."
    • "Scaling can be quite costly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for LAN and WAN networking.

We are system integrators, and we provide maintenance services for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Virtual LAN.

This technology is completely mature and I don't think anything needs to be changed.

What needs improvement?

Scaling can be quite costly.

I have been working with Cisco Catalyst Switches for ten years.

We are using the latest version.

It's an extremely stable product.

It's a scalable solution, but at a high cost.

Our clients have large-sized companies.

We have contacted technical support. The support is excellent and they are efficient.

We are using other brands but the volume is very small compared to the Cisco Catalyst Switches.

Cisco has advantages in terms of stability, reliability, and scalability as well.

The initial setup was complex but has since been simplified.

To deploy with one node can take 10 to 15 minutes.

This solution requires long-term maintenance.

The price is in an affordable range and everything is included.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise going with Cisco because they have an outstanding support team.

They can support up to the extent of installation. They have other services as well, such as RMN.

Your network downtime is minimal, and your business will not suffer in case of any trouble in the network. I would definitely recommend going with Cisco only.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a nine out of ten.

EE
    NOC Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Easy to install and setup, but the price needs improvement

• "It is easy to use."
    • "The pricing needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Catalyst Switches as access switches, for connecting to what we call the last mile within the office. We connect from the patch panel to the wall jack.

We use layer three switchings to interconnect between branch sites.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use. I have only had one course on Cisco Switches.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs improvement.

Price stops entries in Africa. We are not at that level where IT is considered a very big business enabler.

When I compare with the competition, MikroTik or NETGEAR I can purchase the switch and use it for whatever I want. I don't have to add the license, or the BGP routing license, and an ERGP writing license. Other switches are the providers that work out of the box without additional hidden fees.

I have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches since 2005.

We have 1,500 end users.

I have only ever contacted Cisco support once in the time that I have been using it, but it was not related to the switches. Rather, I contacted them regarding Cisco ISE.

We started out with Cisco Linksys in 2006, now we are fully using Catalyst.

It was very easy to install. The last switch I implemented took me 15 minutes to install and set up a complete network.

We have 15 admins to manage this solution

We love Cisco, but the price is very prohibitive. We don't require any licensing, we scaled down to 2960.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend using this solution in Africa.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a six out of ten.

JM
    Professor at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Helpful support, very reliable, but has an outdated operating system and a weird pricing model

What is most valuable?

It is an infrastructure tool, so it is just providing a backend service. Its most useful feature is that it operates on a regular basis. It is reliable.

What needs improvement?

Cisco is weird about their pricing models, so that's one problem. Their operating system is also a little outdated.

I have been working with this solution on and off for about ten years. We are using the Cisco Catalyst 9000 series.

It is generally a very stable solution.

What needs improvement?

It is generally a very stable solution.

It is weird in terms of scalability. By the time you get to the point of scaling up any equipment, which it is capable of doing relatively easily, it is usually out of date. You end up having to rip and replace everything anyway. So, technically, it is scalable, but in practicality, it is not.

We're sticking with this one for a while. I am not aware of any plans to increase its usage.

Their tech support has always been very helpful to me. I have no issues there.

If you are trained, it is very straightforward. You have to be skilled in order to get it going. They do provide support for those who don't have these skills.

In terms of maintenance, one person could support a thousand people, but that would be a very busy job. It is better with a team.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice would be to get your training done so that you get a good overview of all the solutions.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a seven out of ten.

CB
    Director of Information Systems / ISSO at Spectra Technologies LLC
    Good warranty and continued firmware support, extremely stable, and very scalable

• "The warranty and continued firmware support are most valuable."
    • "Their centralized management could be better. There should be some kind of software for centralized management so that I don't need somebody else to manage it."

What is our primary use case?

We have Cisco Catalyst 2960 series. We're using them for core switches at two locations. We are also using them as endpoint switches and distribution switches.

What is most valuable?

The warranty and continued firmware support are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Their centralized management could be better. There should be some kind of software for centralized management so that I don't need somebody else to manage it.

We have been running them for 12 years.

They are extremely stable. We've been running them for 12 years, and we lost the uptime only due to power loss. We had only one of them go bad, and it was through the lightning.

It is very scalable. We have at least one in every building, and we have over 70 buildings that we maintain. Some buildings have even up to five of these.

Their tech support is great. We never had any issues. It is also easy to find a solution by using their community forums. Because Cisco is so widely used, you can find answers for any issue online.

It was straightforward.

The price of these switches is on the upper end. It is around $3,500 plus for a 24-Port switch. These switches are more expensive than Linksys and TP-Link, but you get what you pay for. If you look at the pros and cons per switch, you can justify the cost compared to a lesser and cheaper brand.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches an eight out of ten.

TG
    CEO at a construction company with 11-50 employees
    Flexible, user-friendly, stable, and easily set up with the proper training

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco switches are one of the products that we provide to our customers. It is primarily used for datacenter networking.

What is most valuable?

These switches are flexible and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Installing and configuring these switches requires the proper training.

We have been selling Cisco Catalyst Switches for three years.

This product has very good stability.

The scalability depends on the design, not the product. Based on our demand, we will continue supplying these switches to both new and existing clients.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

These switches are flexible and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Installing and configuring these switches requires the proper training.

We have been selling Cisco Catalyst Switches for three years.

This product has very good stability.

The scalability depends on the design, not the product.

We also work with Cisco Nexus switches.

The installation is straightforward for somebody who has been trained. Somebody has to have the training to properly configure and work with it. It cannot be used out of the box by somebody who is unfamiliar with the technology.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the size of the environment and the number of switches.

We deploy and maintain this solution for our clients. We have a team of between 12 and 15 engineers.

This is an expensive product.

There are different versions of these switches, where some of them have licenses and some do not. The subscription is often renewed every three years.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

Cliff Matonda
    System Administrator at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    A reliable solution with good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using 29 series. We have three switches that we use for common switches and routing. We also have a number of access switches that we interconnect to the devices in the network, such as telephone, CCTV. We have defined a number of VLANs that are running traffic between the switches, and we have done interconnections within the switches, cable, and fiber.

What is most valuable?

It is very reliable.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. It is very pricey.  Its installation can be simplified. Its installation is a bit complex.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is very stable.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is very reliable.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. It is very pricey.

Its installation can be simplified. Its installation is a bit complex.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. You can almost do any new thing that is coming.

Our users will always be around 80 to 90 because the interconnections occur within the switches.

I've just been working on Cisco switches.

Cisco solutions are a bit complex to install. They are not easy, and they require training and knowledge. When we changed our switch, it took 30 minutes to one hour.

I installed it on my own, but most people prefer to hire a consultant.

It is very pricey. You have to pay for support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is good.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a nine out of 10.

Download our free Cisco Catalyst Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.