Cisco Cloud Services Router Overview

Cisco Cloud Services Router is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to Juniper Enterprise Routers: Cisco Cloud Services Router vs Juniper Enterprise Routers

What is Cisco Cloud Services Router?

The Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000v (CSR 1000v) is a virtual-form-factor router that delivers comprehensive WAN gateway and network services functions into virtual and cloud environments. Using familiar, industry-leading Cisco IOS XE Software networking capabilities, the CSR 1000v enables enterprises to transparently extend their WANs into provider-hosted clouds. Similarly, cloud providers themselves can use it to offer enterprise-class networking services to their tenants or customers.

Cisco Cloud Services Router is also known as Cisco CSR, Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000v, Cisco CSR 1000v.

Cisco Cloud Services Router Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Cloud Services Router Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco Cloud Services Router Customers

Under Armour, HealthSparq, Adobe

Cisco Cloud Services Router Video

Cisco Cloud Services Router Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user848262
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 14, 2019
Provides us with secure 3G/4G LTE WAN cellular and wireless LAN connectivity for mobile environments

What is our primary use case?

Gateway communication for IoT activities is our primary use case. We were looking for a stable mobility solution.

• "The most important feature is that it is designed for mobile vehicle communication in harsh conditions."
  • "I would like to see better security, where there are more access controls and data confidentiality."

What other advice do I have?

It integrates with multiple solutions but I have only tried it with AWS solutions. I would rate it at eight out of ten. It is a good solution but they have to improve on the security.
Thomas Fitzgerald
Enterprise Services Manager at AdvanSix
Jan 9, 2019
It provides peace of mind because it is a stable product

• "It provides peace of mind because it is a stable product that you aren't going to lose sleep over at night wondering if it will be running or not."
  • "I would like the ability to moderate between devices on-premise to off-premise. This would be a vast improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco has been around for years. It is solid and has one of the most recognized brand names in the world. It does integrate with another product that we run for our firewalls.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, MikroTik and others in Routers. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CloudSol4cd7
Cloud Solution Architect at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Jan 6, 2019
Smooth experience purchasing through AWS Marketplace, great routing abilities

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for routing.

• "It integrates well with the other products we're using. We have it with multiple windows like Palo Alto, Arista and it easily integrated with them."
  • "They have an online registration that happens after they pick up block months. If they could decrease to yearly or something, sometimes the device is not cell phone accessible. That becomes an issue or challenge for us. If that can be improved, that would be really great."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight and not a ten: first, because we don't have automation available in-house and they give us the ability to deploy it on the cloud. Second, because of the license issue that we had with it. Other than that, everything is perfect. I would tell someone looking into this or a similar solution that this is definitely one of the best products to use and if you deploy everything gateway from Amazon, they use Cisco CSR in the background.
Anthony Petecca
Manager IT and Security at Health Street
Dec 23, 2018
Purchasing through the AWS Marketplace was easy; click a button and you have it

What is our primary use case?

We use it to create a transit VPC within multiple AWS accounts.

• "It allowed us to create a more secure VPN than we would have been able to do without it."
  • "It is too complex. It is not easy to set up, even with the documentation that they provided. It is a little confusing."

What other advice do I have?

The product is fantastic. It just costs to keep it running. If you have the revenue for it, it is a good product. My current business is small, so we can't use it, as it's too expensive. Though, it would be a good product for a mid-to-large size business, We use both the AWS and on-premise versions, but I don't have experience with the on-premise version.
ProjectM702c
Project Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Dec 17, 2018
The product scales and handles stress very well, but the price is a bit high

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is routing ingress traffic to various VPCs.

• "It handles stress very well. We have not reached a point of needing to worry about its capabilities."
  • "The ease of use within the AWS environment needs to improve. Sometimes, it is very esoteric in how you use it. Therefore, you have to learn to use it, then you are able to."

What other advice do I have?

It offers exactly we need. It was easy to get up and running. The support was available when we needed it. Ultimately, it is just a very expensive product. Make sure you scale at the right level that you are at for the products that you need, including this one. We use the AWS and on-premise versions of the product. They compare very well. The AWS version offers quite a bit of functionality. Luckily, we have had team members who are familiar with the CSR on-premise version and are able to use that on the AWS version. It has worked out very well for us. The integrations are abstract, so we…
ITDirect93f2
IT Director at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 12, 2018
The integration and configuration to the AWS environment was difficult

What is our primary use case?

We have been trying to establish VPN connections between retail locations on our AWS VPC. This has not been very reliable from our experience.

• "It seems pretty stable. We have never had any issues with it."
  • "I would like some deployment examples and guides specific to AWS VPCs and how to separate your subnets. Then, how they tie-in with the Internet gateway and any NAT services that we are running on our VPC. This would be extremely helpful."

What other advice do I have?

The product has value. I recommend having a partner who has integrated it before and can bring that expertise to the table. Just because your good with the physical appliances doesn't mean you will be able to exactly translate that into the Amazon networking world. We have a couple hundred other Cisco routers, but this is the only virtual one that we have tried. The AWS version seems to be a lot less reliable, and we had a lot of issues with the initial configuration. Due to the nature of running workloads in the cloud and needing networking in the cloud, there is no choice but to use cloud…
CloudEng5789
Cloud Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Dec 11, 2018
It does what it is supposed to do, but it missing that single pane of glass view to see all the connections

What is our primary use case?

We use it to connect different accounts with different weaknesses and also with the on-premise data center.

• "It connects all the accounts with the weaknesses, and this is what we were looking for. Also, it connects with the on-premise side."
  • "It does the job, but it's not cloud native. It could be even better, like having a single pane of glass and being less expensive."
  • "Technical support could be better. I am missing a single pane of glass, where I can see all the connections, etc."

What other advice do I have?

We use only the cloud version of the product.
Juan David Arias Munoz
Cloud Developer Product Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2018
Our customers receive security and the capabilities to do many thing with networking, like routing and installation of networks

What is our primary use case?

We have migrate our customers to the cloud along with their on-premise router. Therefore, when migrate their infrastructure to the cloud, we migrate Cisco too. This is our first use case with Cisco migrating a high availability infrastructure.

• "AWS has a reference architecture to enable the Cisco routers in high availability and Transit VPC. This is a very powerful router and can enable us to use Transit VPC in AWS, and this is a very powerful feature that we use."
  • "It could grow or adapt to changes in the cloud. For example, cloud does not support autoscaling. When people want to grow, they have to do manual activities."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco. It's a very powerful router and a very important player in the routers of the world. It can provide many solutions that the customer needs. When AWS when offers Transit VPC, they always recommend Cisco. We are using it on AWS and Azure.
Jimmy Dharia
Senior Cloud Engineer at Pentagon Federal Credit Union
Dec 6, 2018
It connects all my environments together in a smart, efficient way. However, they could make the pricing cheaper.

What is our primary use case?

It's in our transit VPC and transit router. We use it as a way to connect multiple environments together and also our third-party vendors together. So, it is a VPN.

• "It is definitely scalable. It can handle a lot more traffic and group work compared to any other products that I've evaluated. It could easily scale a lot more than what I'm doing right now."
  • "The bandwidth and throughput are pretty good."

What other advice do I have?

Keep a long-term goal in mind. Where do you want to get to: * If it's a small environment, I would not pay for a CSR. It's too expensive. Go for something cheaper. * If it's a bigger environment and you will eventually scale out, then definitely go with a CSR. It will be sustainable, scalable, and definitely stable. The product serves me purpose. It connects all my environments together in a smart, efficient way. The integration with other product has been pretty seamless. It has been at the working level, so the services don't care. It's the networking part of it. When a request goes to your…
    Product Categories
    Routers
    Download our free Routers Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, MikroTik, and more!